Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

Who is Rey related to?

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 6 Vote_lcap27%Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 6 Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 26 ]
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 6 Vote_lcap22%Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 6 Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 21 ]
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 6 Vote_lcap3%Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 6 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 3 ]
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 6 Vote_lcap6%Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 6 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 6 ]
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 6 Vote_lcap6%Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 6 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 6 ]
[ 6 ]
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 6 Vote_lcap1%Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 6 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 6 Vote_lcap1%Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 6 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 6 Vote_lcap0%Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 6 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 6 Vote_lcap27%Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 6 Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 26 ]

Total Votes : 96

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 6 Empty Re: Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Mon 25 Apr - 11:33

@spacebaby45678 wrote:
@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
@spacebaby45678 wrote:
@spacebaby45678 wrote:You hear some voices in that sequence too. Can you tell us any more about that?
J.J. Abrams: Well, I’ll say this, is that it was never…the disaster for that sequence I think would have been if it felt like it was a travelogue or a literal narrative. Because then it would become exposition as opposed to overwhelming. "The idea was that this young woman who is a critical piece of this puzzle" is being reached out to by a force that she is not in tune with. So it’s almost like having a radio, but it’s not tuned to the right frequency. It comes and goes.

"The idea was that this young woman who is a critical piece of this puzzle"

I would say this suggests that Rey is not random 
@spacebaby45678
Like everything JJ says, it can be read a lot of different ways. She's part of the Sequel Trilogy puzzle already, but Rey Random doesn't mean Rey NeverMentionParentsAgain, it just means new bloodline/no legacy heritage. Her origins can be "profoundly satisfying" as long as they are satisfying in the context of this trilogy (to this story), just as she can be a "piece of the puzzle" [of this trilogy] and not be related to anybody from the distant past. I just really expect this to remain focused on this 30-year-timeline, and I genuinely do not believe Obi-Wan had children. If she is a Kenobi, it'll be a more believable distant-relation, as though she answered a call from history to help the Skywalker's.
@FrolickingFizzgig

Do you begin with characters? Or do you start by saying, “What is the world we’re in and then supply the people who live in it?”
Michael Arndt: It was all of a piece. Actually the thing that we talked about – and this happened when J.J. came onboard also – was we went back to feelings. Like, “How did it make us feel?” You know? Like, joy, euphoria, but a sort of awe and myth. You know, we’re creating a modern myth. 

Star Wars is  modern myth and is a saga. TFA is not a stand alone piece of literature or the beginning of a new saga, where a random hero begins the narrative, because of that all things and characters are in some way related to other things and characters this is shown to us through parallels and reversals. A common narrative form in myths is ring composition, because basically we are going to tell the same story over and over again in slightly different ways. Luke was not random and neither will Rey be. 
@spacebaby45678
When did I say TFA was a standalone piece of literature? I've written entire metas addressing TFA in regards to its predecessors. This is not me "not understanding Ring Composition or writing". I get it, trust me. I do. But we'll see. I'm not against Rey Kenobi, I just see no place for it in the actual story we've been given (yet). Episode VIII could change that. If it's done well, I'll embrace it completely, but I'm not about to discount the possibility that Rey's origins might be fundamental to the plot of this trilogy rather than the others.
@FrolickingFizzgig

You know when having different opinions, it is always polite and best not to directly address anyone's argument in particular but ideas in general. That way no one takes personal offence.   I never said, YOU Said. My statement was that TFA is NOT  a standalone but is a chapter in a mythical saga. I did not YOU did not understand ring comp, writing or narrative. I was speaking in GENERAL. My whole statement is an opinion or argument against the " IDEA" of Rey Random in "GENERAL" and how the hero protagonist fits in a saga. 

The idea that there is an inherent narrative simplicity to Rey Random over say Rey Kenobi or Rey Skywalker I believe to be a fallacy, I have given my reasons in a previous meta about how hero stories are approached if they are Random, such as Moses, Harry Potter, Anakin or Finn. It is too late for Rey to be random now, or her force powers and talents which all ready have some calling her a "Mary Sue" will be more glaring. 

We are all Reylos and ultimately want the same thing. I did not start out a Rey Kenobi fan theorist, after looking at the text, TFA, the Saga, the intent or the original artist GL and the history of the franchise, Rey Kenobi is the most poetic.
@spacebaby45678
Your post made it sound like you were explaining the way ring composition works/why Star Wars is a myth when I understand all of that already. I 100% agree that it's the most poetic, but I'm not convinced that's what they're going for here. There are no concrete hints in the narrative (yet). It fits with Ring Composition, but we'll see. I'm not discounting it (nor am I discounting any Reylation other than Skywalker/Solo, reincarnation or other silly theories). I won't be disappointed if she's a Kenobi. If it's done well, I'll be thrilled. I can only see it being done well if we don't find out until the very end. Rey should develop as Rey Nobody. Her origins either have to make her question everything she thought she knew or be used as a bookend.

The simplicity comes from the idea that Rey's origins can be handled in a logical manner without addressing 60+ years of history. It can be a story relevant to this trilogy, not one relevant to an older trilogy that has no place in this trilogy. I don't want Rey's origins to feel like they were shoehorned in just for the sake of narrative poetry. They have to make sense in the context of Rey's journey and Rey's character development as well.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 6 Empty Re: Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Mon 25 Apr - 11:58

@Maria Antonietta wrote:It's fun to speculate, guys. The writers have said that the answer will be deeply satisfying, this only means rey Kenobi or rey random, rey related to new characters. You know where I belong, rey is a Kenobi for me and if she's not, well, I'll be in denial like the reywalkers lol!
@Maria Antonietta
It really doesn't matter, honestly. I'm looking forward to finding out about Rey's origins no matter what they turn out to be. Solo/Skywalker/reincarnation are debunked. I just want her story to be hers, not Obi-Wan's or anybody else's. If they can tie together a satisfying lineage that makes sense, maintains narrative relevance to our timeline without going back 50+ years and leads back to the Kenobi's, I'll be perfectly happy. All I want is a good story.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Mon 25 Apr - 12:33

@Maria Antonietta wrote:It's fun to speculate, guys. The writers have said that the answer will be deeply satisfying, this only means rey Kenobi or rey random, rey related to new characters. You know where I belong, rey is a Kenobi for me and if she's not, well, I'll be in denial like the reywalkers lol!
@Maria Antonietta
It really doesn't matter, honestly. I'm looking forward to finding out about Rey's origins no matter what they turn out to be. Solo/Skywalker/reincarnation are debunked. I just want her story to be hers, not Obi-Wan's or anybody else's. If they can tie together a satisfying lineage that makes sense, maintains narrative relevance to our timeline without going back 50+ years and leads back to the Kenobi's, I'll be perfectly happy. All I want is a good story.
@FrolickingFizzgig

But why must Rey's story be hers alone? Already her story is not hers, she is Random Rey cinnamon roll, who has Ren's heritage saber, spaceship, admiration of his Father, training by his Uncle, and is of on a quest to I don't know? What? This is Star Wars an intricately interwoven Saga of the Skywalkers. Is it better that she receives her powers from blood or from a force bond with her future partner/romantic interest? Which is actually worse or better. Was Elizabeth I story and achievement not hers because Henry 5 was her father? Or did she transcend him and all the Kings & Queens that came before her? Could she have been as great if she had not the opportunity blood and connections exposed her too?
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Mon 25 Apr - 12:49

Why is it assumed Rey Random's abandonment would be more logical than Rey Kenobi? I will tell you what is not logical is Super Force Power Jedi Mind Trick Random Rey, that is why it is better to fall back to the genre of ST, which is myth. How do you come to know a mysterious character in a myth, how does their story unfold? Through gifts, personality, talents that immediately show you through narrative and characterization who's lineage does this person descend from.
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Mon 25 Apr - 13:51

@Darth Dingbat wrote:Part-Kenobi or not, I feel like Rey's parentage needs to be relevant in this particular trilogy. I don't think there's much chance of her being entirely random - in the context of this story. The mystery of her abandonment has been built up so much that it needs a satisfying answer.

But the thing is, Rey being descended from a Kenobi would be a neat fact, but it wouldn't tell us who her parents were and it wouldn't explain why she was left on Jakku at all. So, either way, she's a "random" because her parents are unknown to us.
@Darth Dingbat
In the context of this story, Rey's origins are absolutely going to be important, but I suspect they won't be as important as what happened to her family, why they never came back for her or why Rey can't remember anything before age 5. Rey Kenobi adds nothing to this mystery.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Mon 25 Apr - 13:57

@Darth Dingbat wrote:Part-Kenobi or not, I feel like Rey's parentage needs to be relevant in this particular trilogy. I don't think there's much chance of her being entirely random - in the context of this story. The mystery of her abandonment has been built up so much that it needs a satisfying answer.

But the thing is, Rey being descended from a Kenobi would be a neat fact, but it wouldn't tell us who her parents were and it wouldn't explain why she was left on Jakku at all. So, either way, she's a "random" because her parents are unknown to us.
@Darth Dingbat
In the context of this story, Rey's origins are absolutely going to be important, but I suspect they won't be as important as what happened to her family, why they never came back for her or why Rey can't remember anything before age 5. Rey Kenobi adds nothing to this mystery.
@FrolickingFizzgig

Rey Kenobi adds to the rhyme and the previous trilogies, Obikin becomes more epic and in turn Reylo is more epic.
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Mon 25 Apr - 14:04

@spacebaby45678 wrote:
@spacebaby45678 wrote:
@spacebaby45678 wrote:I am also being objective. Rey Random is NOT an objective choice or preference. It is a choice or preference like any other.
@spacebaby45678
But Rey Random is not my choice. I don't have a choice (yet). I have no desire for her not to be a Kenobi. I just want a good story, be her origins relevant to our current timeline or a bookend from the distant past.
@FrolickingFizzgig

Objectively and factually there has never been a "random" protagonist in ST. Could there be a first sure, objectively anything can happen.  What is the likely hood? Based of off history slim to none.
@spacebaby45678
But random doesn't mean that we won't learn about the mystery of her origins. In fact, random is the wrong word altogether. She is going to be a lost "something". The term random has just come to = not a legacy. There was a time when the names Skywalker/Kenobi/Solo/Organa meant nothing. Heck, the name Skywalker itself came from Shmi (who was quite literally a nobody slave, despite being the host of Anakin's virgin birth).

All myths have beginnings. Some beginnings can come in the middle of things. I fully expect 100% that we're getting a satisfying backstory for Rey as she discovers who she is and what happened to her family, I'm just see no real narrative/hard evidence that says her satisfying backstory has to be connected to anybody we've met before.
@FrolickingFizzgig

Simple, if she is not connected to anyone in the past, it would have just been stated. No need for a mystery and we the audience can learn about her and grow to love her in this new arc. The fact they TPTB are keeping it a mystery means she IS related to someone, and now that we know it is not SOLO/Skywalker/Jar jar binks there are only a few legitimate options that fit the current narrative we have on screen. When one is watching a mystery clues are given throughout the film. That is what I  "narrative" callbacks are in TFA.
@spacebaby45678
I don't think the bolded is necessarily true. There are tons of mysteries left to uncover in this trilogy, only some of which even revolve around Rey. We don't know what is going to end up being connected to what. We know next to nothing about the First Order, this "King Prana" who was mentioned more than once in the novel (once in the movie), Snoke, the Knights of Ren, the Republic, etc. It's entirely possible there's another reason the mystery of her parentage is being kept a secret (thus why Rey is absolutely going to be a lost "someone", just not necessarily someone we've met before). There are so many things we don't know yet.

I think it's entirely possible that Rey's actual parentage was never the "big" mystery as much as what happened to them, what they were involved with, why they abandoned their daughter or why they never came back for her. Something in Rey's past might be the real mystery.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Mon 25 Apr - 14:26

Do I know how Rey's heritage will all shake out? Will she have something to do with the KOR, Prana? I have no idea honestly.  But narratively, what occurs in TFA is lot's of " Who is the girl?" That means who she is is important and not, who she is in a personal sense the wonderful, strong, girl we the audience grow to love but " who is the girl?" in the ST sense 

Even Ren, questions who she is, "just a scavenger?" Nah, but he senses something, is it the force? I don't know, her own suppressed memories of who she is ? I don't know... I don't pretend to know. But, like all mysteries in movies there are clues and foreshadowing of who she is just like there is for Reylo.
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Mon 25 Apr - 14:27

" I am no one" " Classified" All have mythical/spiritual  meanings just like yin and yang. And they relate her directly to Obi      wan
              juan
              John the baptist, one who cries in the wilderness. 

These motifs have oft been stated and posted here but they are not Reylo canon, because ultimately that is why we are all here.
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Mon 25 Apr - 14:35

@spacebaby45678 wrote:Do I know how Rey's heritage will all shake out? Will she have something to do with the KOR, Prana? I have no idea honestly.  But narratively, what occurs in TFA is lot's of " Who is the girl?" That means who she is is important and not, who she is in a personal sense the wonderful, strong, girl we the audience grow to love but " who is the girl?" in the ST sense 

Even Ren, questions who she is, "just a scavenger?" Nah, but he senses something, is it the force? I don't know, her own suppressed memories of who she is ? I don't know... I don't pretend to know. But, like all mysteries in movies there are clues and foreshadowing of who she is just like there is for Reylo.
@spacebaby45678
I 100% agree that her origins are going to be satisfying. They have to be, but that doesn't mean they haven't been written to satisfy the mysteries behind this trilogy and only this trilogy, the mystery behind what happened to Rey, why she can't remember anything, where she came from, why she was abandoned, why they never returned, etc. These are bigger questions to me than her last name, and I don't see how slapping the Kenobi name on them helps to answer even one of them.

I could never say there are Kenobi hints on the same level as Reylo hints. They just aren't there. If we find something in the music, I'll be much more inclined to buy it. The fact that we haven't yet (even though we've found more very concrete Reylo hints) tells me it might be the wrong direction. But we'll see.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Mon 25 Apr - 14:55

@spacebaby45678 wrote:Do I know how Rey's heritage will all shake out? Will she have something to do with the KOR, Prana? I have no idea honestly.  But narratively, what occurs in TFA is lot's of " Who is the girl?" That means who she is is important and not, who she is in a personal sense the wonderful, strong, girl we the audience grow to love but " who is the girl?" in the ST sense 

@spacebaby45678
I 100% agree that her origins are going to be satisfying. They have to be, but that doesn't mean they haven't been written to satisfy the mysteries behind this trilogy and only this trilogy, the mystery behind what happened to Rey, why she can't remember anything, where she came from, why she was abandoned, why they never returned, etc. These are bigger questions to me than her last name, and I don't see how slapping the Kenobi name on them helps to answer even one of them.

I could never say there are Kenobi hints on the same level as Reylo hints. They just aren't there. If we find something in the music, I'll be much more inclined to buy it. The fact that we haven't yet (even though we've found more very concrete Reylo hints) tells me it might be the wrong direction. But we'll see.
@FrolickingFizzgig

Actually, no the Kenobi hints are concrete, huge and on par. They are just not discussed as much as Reylo, this is a reylo forum.
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Mon 25 Apr - 15:07

If she's not of dark side origin, maybe she is a Kenobi. Heck, maybe she's both. Dark and light seem to skip generations, do they not not?

I'm certainly not against the idea - on top of being a Reylo fan, I'm also an OT fan, and as of now, the ST is very much lacking a Kenobi currently, other than Ben's namesake. You could even argue that Obi Wan had a much larger role in the prequels than Anakin did.

Yes, there's callbacks to Obi Wan with Rey, just like there is with Luke, so I wouldn't call it proof. Still, the glaring thing to me is her accent. I know in real life that doesn't dictate lineage, but this is a GFFA so who knows.

Regardless, what's important is where Rey is going - not where she comes from. I think Daisy herself said where she comes from works like a nice bookend, but it's not the most important thing about her character. I can see the Kenobi lineage working that way.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mana on Mon 25 Apr - 15:14

I can see why people see parallels with Rey Kenobi...but I don't think that counts as concrete evidence. JJ said that he wanted to follow the familiar beats from A New Hope in order to ease the audience in to the new trilogy, so that they would be ready to explore the newer fresher ideas in 8 and 9. But I do like the Rey Kenobi theory...I hope we get a satisfying story..
Mana
Mana
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Mon 25 Apr - 15:28

Even though I see the poetry of Kenobi, I am more and more in the Rey Random or Dark Rey club. The main reason for that is we already have one character with a heavy legacy, do we need another one? I like the idea that your origins do not define you. But then, I wouldn't be mad if she was a Kenobi as long as it does not turn into Rey is super strong in the Force because she's a Kenobi. That's not a very positive message to me.

In the end, I don't care much. What gets me to think that Rey Kenobi might not happen is that the theory is up there as #3 in the lineage wish list due to different parallels in TFA. Looks like bait to me Smile

OB1 could still be of importance. I think we should not underestimate what the writers can do and how they can bring one character back to the story. I am actually quite sure he will be part of the story but not necessarily as Rey's grandfather. Maybe he had something to do with the Jedi Temple. And here comes the standalone movie of OB1 and the first Jedi temple!
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynak on Mon 25 Apr - 15:30

I love the idea of Rey Nobody and it was my first headcanon, I also love the idea of Rey DS heritage but at this point I am quite convinced she is Rey Kenobi, which doesn't necessarily mean Obi Wan had kids, she can be related to him without him having had children. I have the impression that she is a Kenobi and this movie is part of a series of trilogies where Kenobi was nearly as important as Skywalkwer. We saw them duel and love each other deeply in the other tilogies but also in TFA, or at least the seed for an epic love story. This time Kenobi will manage to save Skywalkwer at last and their different genders will ensure a different kind of bond and a love that will be deep enough to save Skywalker this time. 

I cannot see a SW trilogy without a Kenobi any more than without a Skywalker. That duel in the snow was Mustafar in reverse, snow instead of fire, Kenobi beat Skywalkwer and left him to die alone and he was saved by dark siders like in the PT. There Anakin died and Vader came to exist. On SKB perhaps Kylo Ren started to die to make Ben ( the sun/son) have his rebirth. Obi Wan looked back at Anakin's broken body in the same way Rey looked back at Kylo's wounded body and said he loved him as a brother. 

This time Rey said nothing but unlike Anakin who looked back at Obi Wan with hate,Kylo looked at her with adoration. It's different this time because there was longing in his eyes and a plea instead of hate. In hers there was concern and perhaps a desire not to give up on him like Obi Wan did in Mustafar. The story is moving full circle between Kenobi and Skywalker. That's why I think she is a Kenobi and we will lose too much storywise if she isn't. 

I also think that if she was Ray Random we should know by now because the beauty of this nobody bringing a dark prince to his knees should be taken advantage of as much as possible and soon, and it was lost in TFA because most people where convinced of her important lineage. They lost the chance because now she is not a nobody any more but the fantastic ultra powerful FS cinnamon roll. When did they take adavantage of her common girl status? Never. And whatever they do now it is too late.

One of the directors suggested her parentage will be meaninful for a saga that extended along the years, so he implied she is related to someone already important. Storywise Kenobi & Skywalker coming full circle is too powerful and compelling to dismiss. It would be epic and also satisfying for those who are looking forward to a cool parentage twist. Love and hate between them across the years ending with both of them alive and in love this time, not dead and turned into FG like the in the OT. 

We also have Kylo talking to his grandfather's mask and very alone. Later she, also very lonely, will have a vision where only one person talks to her and it is Obi Wan ( her grandfather?). It is not only the ring composition, it is also the emotional impact this would have. 

Also, her role as the sabre keeper ( he is keeping it for the next Skywalker and gives it to Luke who has had it before, preceeded by Anakin and followed by Kylo) hints at Kenobi again.

Last edited by Reynak on Mon 25 Apr - 16:02; edited 2 times in total
Reynak
Reynak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey on Mon 25 Apr - 15:44

@Reynak Very good points. Instead of this:

"I hate you."
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 6 0cEG6O

We get:

"I...I think I might love you."
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 6 Tumblr_o59ydaXgpe1vnjqgyo3_540

There are also choreography parallels, the bit where Rey grabs his saber and pushes it down into the snow I've seen compared to the Mustafar duel.

Personally, I am not completely invested in Rey Kenobi but it does have a beautiful poetry to it. As long as they revealed it in a satisfying way that didn't feel forced, I'd be happy.
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Mon 25 Apr - 15:47

@BastilaBey 100% agreed. I'm not invested in it all the way I am Reylo, and if it doesn't come to pass, I'll be alright. I do love the symmetry of it.

It also makes Rey handing the saber to Luke at the end that much more on point.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini on Mon 25 Apr - 15:50

@Mana wrote:I can see why people see parallels with Rey Kenobi...but I don't think that counts as concrete evidence. JJ said that he wanted to follow the familiar beats from A New Hope in order to ease the audience in to the new trilogy, so that they would be ready to explore the newer fresher ideas in 8 and 9.  But I do like the Rey Kenobi theory...I hope we get a satisfying story..
@Mana

As I said elsewhere, why are Ren and Anakin parallels accepted as concrete? Simply because we know for certain that he is a Skywalker...He's never met Anakin yet behaves like him and shares paralells like and we just accept that as concrete. And say yes, well thats because he's anakins grandson, thats why those parallels were placed there...but when it comes to Rey they are just meaningliess?

If Ren is following Anakins story right down to a parallel with the age he turned, then it makes sense for Rey to also be following her grand father's story..Ren and Rey are running parallel after all.

Last edited by Gemini on Mon 25 Apr - 15:52; edited 1 time in total
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey on Mon 25 Apr - 15:52

@Gemini wrote:
@Mana wrote:I can see why people see parallels with Rey Kenobi...but I don't think that counts as concrete evidence. JJ said that he wanted to follow the familiar beats from A New Hope in order to ease the audience in to the new trilogy, so that they would be ready to explore the newer fresher ideas in 8 and 9.  But I do like the Rey Kenobi theory...I hope we get a satisfying story..
@Mana

As I said elsewhere, why are Ren and Anakin parallels accepted as concrete? Simply because we know for certain that he is a Skywalker...He's never met Anakin yet behaves like him and we just accept that as concrete.

If Ren is following Anakins story right down to a parallel with the age he turned, then it makes sense for Rey to also be following her grand father's story..Ren and Rey are running parallel after all.

@Gemini

Isn't there a difference between parallels of behavior and callbacks in the story though? Rey doesn't seem to have behavioral traits that are similar to Obi-Wan, but please let me know if you have spotted some. He was very calm and patient, she never seems to be!
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini on Mon 25 Apr - 15:53

@BastilaBey wrote:
@Gemini wrote:
@Mana

As I said elsewhere, why are Ren and Anakin parallels accepted as concrete? Simply because we know for certain that he is a Skywalker...He's never met Anakin yet behaves like him and we just accept that as concrete.

@Gemini

Isn't there a difference between parallels of behavior and callbacks in the story though? Rey doesn't seem to have behavioral traits that are similar to Obi-Wan, but please let me know if you have spotted some. He was very calm and patient, she never seems to be!
@BastilaBey

She does though

In 2 places...two VERY strong places

scratch that 3, Obi wan was so calm when he sliced off anakins legs

Last edited by Gemini on Mon 25 Apr - 15:55; edited 2 times in total
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mana on Mon 25 Apr - 15:54

@Gemini wrote:
@Mana wrote:I can see why people see parallels with Rey Kenobi...but I don't think that counts as concrete evidence. JJ said that he wanted to follow the familiar beats from A New Hope in order to ease the audience in to the new trilogy, so that they would be ready to explore the newer fresher ideas in 8 and 9. But I do like the Rey Kenobi theory...I hope we get a satisfying story..
@Mana

If Ren is following Anakins story right down to a parallel with the age he turned, the t makes sense for Rey to also be following her grand father's story..R and Rey are running parallel after all
@Gemini

The thing is..you could argue that there are just as many parallels between Luke and Rey as there are between Anakin and Ren. But thats all they are, callbacks and parallels...and like JJ said they used the familiar beats from ANH in TFA because the audience had to be 'reminded' that these new characters exist in roles that predate them...Rey can follow the similar path to Luke or Obi Wan, but that doesn't mean she's related to them..it just means that she's following the similar path in the story because she happens to be the hero...
Mana
Mana
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini on Mon 25 Apr - 15:56

@Mana wrote:
@Gemini wrote:
@Mana

If Ren is following Anakins story right down to a parallel with the age he turned, the t makes sense for Rey to also be following her grand father's story..R and Rey are running parallel after all
@Gemini

The thing is..you could argue that there are just as many parallels between Luke and Rey as there are between Anakin and Ren. But thats all they are, callbacks and parallels...and like JJ said they used the familiar beats from ANH in TFA because the audience had to be 'reminded' that these new characters exist in roles that predate them...Rey can follow the similar path to Luke or Obi Wan, but that doesn't mean she's related to them..it just means that she's following the similar path in the story because she happens to be the hero...
@Mana

she's not like Luke. If anything she is her own character much like Ren is his own character, yet he still has callbacks to his grand daddy in terms of things he does and age parallels.
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Little_Boots on Mon 25 Apr - 15:59

@Gemini wrote:
@Mana wrote:
@Gemini wrote:
@Mana

@Gemini

@Mana

she's not like Luke. If anything she is her own character much like Ren is his own character, yet he still has callbacks to his grand daddy in terms of things he does and age parallels.
@Gemini

Rey can be a moan bag too though just like Luke was in ANH, she can also be like Leia a little bit, Han, Obi-Wan etc.....even Palps. If she is a Kenobi though I will be satisfied just as much as the next person Smile
Little_Boots
Little_Boots
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mana on Mon 25 Apr - 16:00

@Gemini wrote:
@Mana wrote:
@Gemini wrote:
@Mana

@Gemini

@Mana

@Gemini

Exactly...The callbacks and parallels do not prove parentage..but rather the characters roles in the story...
Mana
Mana
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini on Mon 25 Apr - 16:00

Also calling Obi Wan calm?

Not always..

He sliced off Anakins legs and left him to die.

And Rey's angry nature? Thats just her, each person has their own personality...that rage though, usually comes from ren I think its something he draws out in her, something repressed.
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum