General Discussion: Canon Novels/Comics/Short Stories

Page 8 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

Go down

Re: General Discussion: Canon Novels/Comics/Short Stories

Post by nickandnora on Wed 16 May 2018, 1:19 pm

Just a quick question: how far back into Poe's past do these comics go? Like, what's the earliest we see of him? Is it just the few years before TFA, or does it go further back into his teenage years?

nickandnora
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 368
Likes : 1903
Date d'inscription : 2018-01-10

Back to top Go down

Re: General Discussion: Canon Novels/Comics/Short Stories

Post by vaderito on Wed 16 May 2018, 1:29 pm

@Darth Dingbat wrote:For me, this sort of thing just blows a huge hole into the supposed canon consistency across all media, and makes me realise that ancillary materials like this are filler that nobody at Lucasfilm cares enough about to even glance over.

If you think about it, TLJ already rendered the interrogation question moot. It wasn't addressed. It didn't matter to Rey one bit, so obviously she hadn't been "tortured", and she wasn't nursing a terrible trauma about the treeeee either.

Now, if we're supposed to think that she did feel Kylo tortured her, but was still mooning over his pretty eyes and wanting to hold his hand in TLJ, then I'm afraid that that's a level of WTF I'm not prepared to get into in my Star Wars.
@Darth Dingbat

Exactly. Mentioning stuff like that is for die-hard fans who care for such info. But it isn't for GA or otherwise movies would address them. Rey didn't address interrogation, Finn's back injury, being pushed into the tree. Only Han Slaying because that's relevant to her and the story.
avatar
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 10146
Likes : 48916
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: General Discussion: Canon Novels/Comics/Short Stories

Post by californiagirl on Wed 16 May 2018, 1:34 pm

@nickandnora I believe he has a full backstory where his parents were Rebellion heroes who died when he was 8, so he got BB-8 as a therapy droid.  Very Happy

@Darth Dingbat wrote:For me, this sort of thing just blows a huge hole into the supposed canon consistency across all media, and makes me realise that ancillary materials like this are filler that nobody at Lucasfilm cares enough about to even glance over.

If you think about it, TLJ already rendered the interrogation question moot. It wasn't addressed. It didn't matter to Rey one bit, so obviously she hadn't been "tortured", and she wasn't nursing a terrible trauma about the treeeee either.

Now, if we're supposed to think that she did feel Kylo tortured her, but was still mooning over his pretty eyes and wanting to hold his hand in TLJ, then I'm afraid that that's a level of WTF I'm not prepared to get into in my Star Wars.
@Darth Dingbat

Rey didn't show any trauma from the event in either TFA or TLJ. Kind of like when she was thrown into the infamous TREE. It's not really important in either movie.

These bits over the last couple of Poe comics don't really clash with the movies IMO. Kylo is the enemy of the Resistance, how else is she supposed to describe what she did to him? She can't be like, oh he carried me into his ship and said I'm his guest and took off his mask and sorta tried to comfort me and then we became force-bonded and absorbed each other's skills and memories and did I mention he's sort of really hot....


Last edited by californiagirl on Wed 16 May 2018, 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
californiagirl
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 991
Likes : 4374
Date d'inscription : 2017-11-12
Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Re: General Discussion: Canon Novels/Comics/Short Stories

Post by whisperingwillow on Wed 16 May 2018, 2:48 pm

@californiagirl wrote:@nickandnora I believe he has a full backstory where his parents were Rebellion heroes who died when he was 8, so he got BB-8 as a therapy droid.  Very Happy

@Darth Dingbat wrote:For me, this sort of thing just blows a huge hole into the supposed canon consistency across all media, and makes me realise that ancillary materials like this are filler that nobody at Lucasfilm cares enough about to even glance over.

If you think about it, TLJ already rendered the interrogation question moot. It wasn't addressed. It didn't matter to Rey one bit, so obviously she hadn't been "tortured", and she wasn't nursing a terrible trauma about the treeeee either.

Now, if we're supposed to think that she did feel Kylo tortured her, but was still mooning over his pretty eyes and wanting to hold his hand in TLJ, then I'm afraid that that's a level of WTF I'm not prepared to get into in my Star Wars.
@Darth Dingbat

Rey didn't show any trauma from the event in either TFA or TLJ. Kind of like when she was thrown into the infamous TREE. It's not really important in either movie.

These bits over the last couple of Poe comics don't really clash with the movies IMO. Kylo is the enemy of the Resistance, how else is she supposed to describe what she did to him? She can't be like, oh he carried me into his ship and said I'm his guest and took of his mask and sorta tried to comfort me and then we became force-bonded and absorbed each other's skills and memories and did I mention he's sort of really hot....
@californiagirl

This. She can't be like "I wanted to run my hands through his hair and he looks good without a shirt on and oh I flew to him with the intention of bringing him back with me!". Kylo is the bad guy in this saga (a crappy bad guy and he isn't good at it but still the bad guy) and technically it was torture. I mean in Poe's case it was 100% torture where with Rey he tried to go easy but still did pry into her mind to get the information.
avatar
whisperingwillow
Moderator

Messages : 202
Likes : 1190
Date d'inscription : 2017-11-11
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: General Discussion: Canon Novels/Comics/Short Stories

Post by Night Huntress on Wed 16 May 2018, 3:04 pm

well, I don't care about this comics - but I think they should've chosen the words more carefully. I mean they must be aware how sensitive people in fandom react to literally everything regarding Rey & Kylo.

Rey was interrogated - not tortured. He never inflicted pain on her...yes he tried to get information from her mind. But he never hurt her...
avatar
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1692
Likes : 8066
Date d'inscription : 2017-08-24
Age : 36
Localisation : Switzerland

Back to top Go down

Re: General Discussion: Canon Novels/Comics/Short Stories

Post by vaderito on Wed 16 May 2018, 3:08 pm

@Night Huntress wrote:well, I don't care about this comics - but I think they should've chosen the words more carefully. I mean they must be aware how sensitive people in fandom react to literally everything regarding Rey & Kylo.

Rey was interrogated - not tortured. He never inflicted pain on her...yes he tried to get information from her mind. But he never hurt her...
@Night Huntress



Certainly not TLJ that didn't even mention it.

Comic books have no canon value for cinematic universe. They are "nice to know but not essential" for people who live for trivia. Like Poe and the Force Tree. Will never be mentioned outside of comic books.


avatar
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 10146
Likes : 48916
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: General Discussion: Canon Novels/Comics/Short Stories

Post by californiagirl on Wed 16 May 2018, 3:17 pm

I think even Daisy and some of the others involved in the film have called it the torture scene. Daisy, the same person who interrupts interviewers to say that Kylo is redeemable. Who cares indeed. It might be poor wording, but I don't think it's intended in the way most fans interpret it.
avatar
californiagirl
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 991
Likes : 4374
Date d'inscription : 2017-11-12
Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Re: General Discussion: Canon Novels/Comics/Short Stories

Post by Blood Moon on Wed 16 May 2018, 3:26 pm

So Rey says "he tortured me on his ship", it was Starkiller Base Rey! 

So this shows the writer of the comic didn't pay attention to what actually happened in the movie. It's inconsistent. But if it's not in the film it doesn't really matter.

And I have a different concept of torture, something like Leia and the droid come to mind.
avatar
Blood Moon
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 170
Likes : 738
Date d'inscription : 2017-02-16

Back to top Go down

Re: General Discussion: Canon Novels/Comics/Short Stories

Post by rawpowah on Wed 16 May 2018, 3:39 pm

@Blood Moon wrote:So Rey says "he tortured me on his ship", it was Starkiller Base Rey! 

So this shows the writer of the comic didn't pay attention to what actually happened in the movie. It's inconsistent. But if it's not in the film it doesn't really matter.

And I have a different concept of torture, something like Leia and the droid come to mind.
@Blood Moon

It's either an inconsistency, or a lie from Rey. It seems the writer is actively avoiding an instance where Rey comes clean about her previous experiences with Kylo and Luke (see: porg interruption). Of course, it's also Poe's comic, so the focus has to be on him.

Idk, he's supposed to be the hero in this comic, but he comes across as very unlikable and like a show off. He reminds me of Gaston Laughing
avatar
rawpowah
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 832
Likes : 4276
Date d'inscription : 2017-11-18

Back to top Go down

Re: General Discussion: Canon Novels/Comics/Short Stories

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Wed 16 May 2018, 3:41 pm

@Riri wrote:Apparently the 27th issue hints at Leia's possible death/retirement?

@Riri

I could swear that we saw this same excerpt many months ago (pre-TLJ). Maybe it was an early, early preview, but I think it might be from an earlier issue than the newest one.
avatar
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 5665
Likes : 29416
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Localisation : Seattle, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: General Discussion: Canon Novels/Comics/Short Stories

Post by EchoBase on Wed 16 May 2018, 3:45 pm

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@Riri wrote:Apparently the 27th issue hints at Leia's possible death/retirement?

@Riri

I could swear that we saw this same excerpt many months ago (pre-TLJ). Maybe it was an early, early preview, but I think it might be from an earlier issue than the newest one.
@ISeeAnIsland

You’re right. It’s in Poe Dameron #14. It was supposed to be a tribute to Carrie.
avatar
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2764
Likes : 12305
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-01

Back to top Go down

Re: General Discussion: Canon Novels/Comics/Short Stories

Post by Blood Moon on Wed 16 May 2018, 4:09 pm

@rawpowah wrote:
@Blood Moon wrote:So Rey says "he tortured me on his ship", it was Starkiller Base Rey! 

So this shows the writer of the comic didn't pay attention to what actually happened in the movie. It's inconsistent. But if it's not in the film it doesn't really matter.

And I have a different concept of torture, something like Leia and the droid come to mind.
@Blood Moon

It's either an inconsistency, or a lie from Rey. It seems the writer is actively avoiding an instance where Rey comes clean about her previous experiences with Kylo and Luke (see: porg interruption). Of course, it's also Poe's comic, so the focus has to be on him.

Idk, he's supposed to be the hero in this comic, but he comes across as very unlikable and like a show off. He reminds me of Gaston Laughing
@rawpowah

Good point about Rey lying, like "I was cleaning my blaster". Maybe they can compare their torture-stories and Poe is gonna tell her that Kylo handled her with care, unlike his experience.
They can't explain what really happened between Rey and Kylo in the comics, that is the main surprise for IX.
avatar
Blood Moon
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 170
Likes : 738
Date d'inscription : 2017-02-16

Back to top Go down

Re: General Discussion: Canon Novels/Comics/Short Stories

Post by Darth Dingbat on Wed 16 May 2018, 4:10 pm

Well, words have meanings and there's really no positive spin to put on "torture", which means deliberate inflicting of pain (to compel someone to give up information, which applies in Poe's case). And which doesn't apply to Rey's interrogation in TFA, which had no torture, just the fantasy element of mind-reading that has exactly zero real-life relevance.

So Lucasfilm can be as lax as they please with words, but I will never NOT find it WTF, and distasteful at that, to associate the word "torture" with something that leads up to a Force bond, attraction, and intimacy in TLJ. Even if Reylo weren't endgame (and I believe it is), that ship already sailed.
avatar
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4554
Likes : 30455
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: General Discussion: Canon Novels/Comics/Short Stories

Post by loversinthestorm on Wed 16 May 2018, 4:59 pm

I don't really care about the words (Reylo is far from my most problematic ship) but I always get the feeling fandom is a lot more than sensitive about this things than the story group or the cast. Like, in the story group interview after the movie it seemed pretty clear that they thought that was "something more" going on between rey and kylo in the interrogation scene, something even some shipper don't like to say, after I (JJ?) called it torture too.

loversinthestorm
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 27
Likes : 104
Date d'inscription : 2018-01-10
Localisation : Brazil

Back to top Go down

Re: General Discussion: Canon Novels/Comics/Short Stories

Post by Riri on Wed 16 May 2018, 5:08 pm

@loversinthestorm

That's so true, the story group focused on the dynamic, energy and eventual outcome of the scene (force-bond), because they know the characters are adversaries at this point and at war.

Plus Daisy and JJ both referred to the scene as the "torture" scene 2-3 years ago, but it doesn't matter because their relationship has developed so much since then.


Last edited by Riri on Wed 16 May 2018, 5:10 pm; edited 2 times in total

Riri
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 636
Likes : 4424
Date d'inscription : 2018-01-21

Back to top Go down

Re: General Discussion: Canon Novels/Comics/Short Stories

Post by Darth Dingbat on Wed 16 May 2018, 5:08 pm

@loversinthestorm wrote:I don't really care about the words (Reylo is far from my most problematic ship) but I always get the feeling fandom is a lot more than sensitive about this things than the story group or the cast. Like, in the story group interview after the movie it seemed pretty clear that they thought that was "something more" going on between rey and kylo in the interrogation scene, something even some shipper don't like to say, after I (JJ?) called it torture too.
@loversinthestorm

I'm guessing the fandom is sensitive from having been called abuse apologists for about two years... that sort of thing does wear one down a bit.

Although, I'd find the wording WTF even without that experience.
avatar
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4554
Likes : 30455
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: General Discussion: Canon Novels/Comics/Short Stories

Post by SoloSideCousin on Wed 16 May 2018, 5:26 pm

@rawpowah wrote:
@Blood Moon wrote:So Rey says "he tortured me on his ship", it was Starkiller Base Rey! 

So this shows the writer of the comic didn't pay attention to what actually happened in the movie. It's inconsistent. But if it's not in the film it doesn't really matter.

And I have a different concept of torture, something like Leia and the droid come to mind.
@Blood Moon

It's either an inconsistency, or a lie from Rey. It seems the writer is actively avoiding an instance where Rey comes clean about her previous experiences with Kylo and Luke (see: porg interruption). Of course, it's also Poe's comic, so the focus has to be on him.

Idk, he's supposed to be the hero in this comic, but he comes across as very unlikable and like a show off. He reminds me of Gaston Laughing
@rawpowah

No kidding! Poe comes across like a dumbass guy trying to chat up Rey at a bar. The minute Finn leaves he is actually reaching out somewhat towards Rey in the picture and using that "yeah, what about that Luke Skywalker thing" as a pick-up line.

Then the "torture buddies" is stupid beyond belief. I can just see a couple a POWs raising their beers and saying "torture buddies!"

Rey also hesitates after she says the word "torture" in response to Poe. That's either because she thinks Poe is an idiot (which is strongly indicated by the "okay sure") or she is thinking about that word as she repeats it or *both*.

She throws out "torture" at first because she is all pissy with Kylo, but then she hesitates on the second mention. If she thinks about that moment between as she hesitates, she knows that she did the exact same thing to him. She also knows that she has done some other crap to Kylo. She won't admit it, but she knows she grabbed that lightsaber and the force didn't want her to.

The moment shows the huge dichotomy between Rey and Poe. He is completely vapid, and she is holding the broken lightsaber of the man she considered being Empress with (as confirmed by the database change). She can talk what she wants. She knows what happened and it was elementally serious.
avatar
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4641
Likes : 22445
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: General Discussion: Canon Novels/Comics/Short Stories

Post by Saracene on Wed 16 May 2018, 5:51 pm

The mention of torture doesn't bother me, because the world of SW to me always felt intrinsically more violent and accepting of violence than our real 21st century western societies.
avatar
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2073
Likes : 13231
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-27
Age : 38
Localisation : Melbourne

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Re: General Discussion: Canon Novels/Comics/Short Stories

Post by Riri on Wed 16 May 2018, 5:52 pm

@SoloSideCousin

Yep i think that exchange is there on purpose (the bit with Rey trailing off after the word "torture...") because the audience know Rey and Poe's experiences differed, it's there to act as a parralel and works as irony (because the audience know but the characters don't). Poe was bloodied up and Rey was treated with care - that's canon. I do think it's hilarious they are making light of the situation, as cringy as it is. Poe comes across SO unlikeable, like some drunk guy agressively shouting at a bar "ToRTuRe BuDdIESsS!"

Also, in the context of SW, torture is nothing! SW has overblown characters comitting larger than life deeds such as patricide, Vader cutting off Luke's arm, Anakin choking his wife and killing younglings, Vader torturing his daughter. TFA included all of Ben's most "violent" moments because the worse the deed, the more powerful his redemption is, even then we all know that wasn't actual torture.


Last edited by Riri on Wed 16 May 2018, 5:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

Riri
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 636
Likes : 4424
Date d'inscription : 2018-01-21

Back to top Go down

Re: General Discussion: Canon Novels/Comics/Short Stories

Post by Kylo Rey on Wed 16 May 2018, 5:52 pm

@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@rawpowah wrote:
@Blood Moon wrote:So Rey says "he tortured me on his ship", it was Starkiller Base Rey! 

So this shows the writer of the comic didn't pay attention to what actually happened in the movie. It's inconsistent. But if it's not in the film it doesn't really matter.

And I have a different concept of torture, something like Leia and the droid come to mind.
@Blood Moon

It's either an inconsistency, or a lie from Rey. It seems the writer is actively avoiding an instance where Rey comes clean about her previous experiences with Kylo and Luke (see: porg interruption). Of course, it's also Poe's comic, so the focus has to be on him.

Idk, he's supposed to be the hero in this comic, but he comes across as very unlikable and like a show off. He reminds me of Gaston Laughing
@rawpowah

No kidding! Poe comes across like a dumbass guy trying to chat up Rey at a bar. The minute Finn leaves he is actually reaching out somewhat towards Rey in the picture and using that "yeah, what about that Luke Skywalker thing" as a pick-up line.

Then the "torture buddies" is stupid beyond belief.  I can just see a couple a POWs raising their beers and saying "torture buddies!"

Rey also hesitates after she says the word "torture" in response to Poe. That's either because she thinks Poe is an idiot (which is strongly indicated by the "okay sure") or she is thinking about that word as she repeats it or *both*.  

She throws out "torture" at first because she is all pissy with Kylo, but then she hesitates on the second mention. If she thinks about that moment between as she hesitates, she knows that she did the exact same thing to him. She also knows that she has done some other crap to Kylo. She won't admit it, but she knows she grabbed that lightsaber and the force didn't want her to.

The moment shows the huge dichotomy between Rey and Poe. He is completely vapid, and she is holding the broken lightsaber of the man she considered being Empress with (as confirmed by the database change). She can talk what she wants. She knows what happened and it was elementally serious.
@SoloSideCousin

Rey looks so done in every interaction with Poe lol. Guy has no sense of personal space and doesn't know when to back off. He's slobbering his beer all over her as well, ewwww. Space Prince Darth Darcy would NEVAH. And yeah, WTF kind of line is 'torture buddies' and why would you bond over that.
avatar
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1296
Likes : 10429
Date d'inscription : 2016-12-24
Age : 22
Localisation : England

Back to top Go down

Re: General Discussion: Canon Novels/Comics/Short Stories

Post by SoloSideCousin on Wed 16 May 2018, 6:24 pm

@Kylo Rey wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@rawpowah wrote:
@Blood Moon wrote:So Rey says "he tortured me on his ship", it was Starkiller Base Rey! 

So this shows the writer of the comic didn't pay attention to what actually happened in the movie. It's inconsistent. But if it's not in the film it doesn't really matter.

And I have a different concept of torture, something like Leia and the droid come to mind.
@Blood Moon

It's either an inconsistency, or a lie from Rey. It seems the writer is actively avoiding an instance where Rey comes clean about her previous experiences with Kylo and Luke (see: porg interruption). Of course, it's also Poe's comic, so the focus has to be on him.

Idk, he's supposed to be the hero in this comic, but he comes across as very unlikable and like a show off. He reminds me of Gaston Laughing
@rawpowah

No kidding! Poe comes across like a dumbass guy trying to chat up Rey at a bar. The minute Finn leaves he is actually reaching out somewhat towards Rey in the picture and using that "yeah, what about that Luke Skywalker thing" as a pick-up line.

Then the "torture buddies" is stupid beyond belief.  I can just see a couple a POWs raising their beers and saying "torture buddies!"

Rey also hesitates after she says the word "torture" in response to Poe. That's either because she thinks Poe is an idiot (which is strongly indicated by the "okay sure") or she is thinking about that word as she repeats it or *both*.  

She throws out "torture" at first because she is all pissy with Kylo, but then she hesitates on the second mention. If she thinks about that moment between as she hesitates, she knows that she did the exact same thing to him. She also knows that she has done some other crap to Kylo. She won't admit it, but she knows she grabbed that lightsaber and the force didn't want her to.

The moment shows the huge dichotomy between Rey and Poe. He is completely vapid, and she is holding the broken lightsaber of the man she considered being Empress with (as confirmed by the database change). She can talk what she wants. She knows what happened and it was elementally serious.
@SoloSideCousin

Rey looks so done in every interaction with Poe lol. Guy has no sense of personal space and doesn't know when to back off. He's slobbering his beer all over her as well, ewwww. Space Prince Darth Darcy would NEVAH. And yeah, WTF kind of line is 'torture buddies' and why would you bond over that.
@Kylo Rey

I agree with all of this. And there is another basic aspect to this whole "pick-up routine" he's been doing in both of these comics from "I'm the best pilot" to "torture buddies", and that is ... that it is all intended to eventually lead to "hey, do you want to come back to my room with me?"

I'm not trying to say is some kind of evil seducer or anything. He's just a guy who thinks Rey is hot and that she can lift up some rocks and sith and that's cool, so he really wants to have sex with her in the near future.

Compare these Rey and Poe bits to the extremely intense, but incredibly serious, intuitive, admiring and, strange as it sounds considering they are half-enemies, respectful sexual energy between Rey and Kylo.

Kylo never lets his skin actually touch her skin until she reaches out with her hand. Compare that to Mr. Sloshing Beer who is reaching out to touch Rey the second Finn leaves the room.

Kylo wants to give her everything and be with her for all eternity. Poe is like " Get in my bed and it'll be hot!"
avatar
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4641
Likes : 22445
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: General Discussion: Canon Novels/Comics/Short Stories

Post by rawpowah on Wed 16 May 2018, 6:40 pm

@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@Kylo Rey wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@rawpowah wrote:
@Blood Moon wrote:So Rey says "he tortured me on his ship", it was Starkiller Base Rey! 

So this shows the writer of the comic didn't pay attention to what actually happened in the movie. It's inconsistent. But if it's not in the film it doesn't really matter.

And I have a different concept of torture, something like Leia and the droid come to mind.
@Blood Moon

It's either an inconsistency, or a lie from Rey. It seems the writer is actively avoiding an instance where Rey comes clean about her previous experiences with Kylo and Luke (see: porg interruption). Of course, it's also Poe's comic, so the focus has to be on him.

Idk, he's supposed to be the hero in this comic, but he comes across as very unlikable and like a show off. He reminds me of Gaston Laughing
@rawpowah

No kidding! Poe comes across like a dumbass guy trying to chat up Rey at a bar. The minute Finn leaves he is actually reaching out somewhat towards Rey in the picture and using that "yeah, what about that Luke Skywalker thing" as a pick-up line.

Then the "torture buddies" is stupid beyond belief.  I can just see a couple a POWs raising their beers and saying "torture buddies!"

Rey also hesitates after she says the word "torture" in response to Poe. That's either because she thinks Poe is an idiot (which is strongly indicated by the "okay sure") or she is thinking about that word as she repeats it or *both*.  

She throws out "torture" at first because she is all pissy with Kylo, but then she hesitates on the second mention. If she thinks about that moment between as she hesitates, she knows that she did the exact same thing to him. She also knows that she has done some other crap to Kylo. She won't admit it, but she knows she grabbed that lightsaber and the force didn't want her to.

The moment shows the huge dichotomy between Rey and Poe. He is completely vapid, and she is holding the broken lightsaber of the man she considered being Empress with (as confirmed by the database change). She can talk what she wants. She knows what happened and it was elementally serious.
@SoloSideCousin

Rey looks so done in every interaction with Poe lol. Guy has no sense of personal space and doesn't know when to back off. He's slobbering his beer all over her as well, ewwww. Space Prince Darth Darcy would NEVAH. And yeah, WTF kind of line is 'torture buddies' and why would you bond over that.
@Kylo Rey

I agree with all of this. And there is another basic aspect to this whole "pick-up routine" he's been doing in both of these comics from "I'm the best pilot" to "torture buddies", and that is ... that it is all intended to eventually lead to "hey, do you want to come back to my room with me?"

I'm not trying to say is some kind of evil seducer or anything. He's just a guy who thinks Rey is hot and that she can lift up some rocks and sith and that's cool, so he really wants to have sex with her in the near future.

Compare these Rey and Poe bits to the extremely intense, but incredibly serious, intuitive, admiring and, strange as it sounds considering they are half-enemies, respectful sexual energy between Rey and Kylo.

Kylo never lets his skin actually touch her skin until she reaches out with her hand. Compare that to Mr. Sloshing Beer who is reaching out to touch Rey the second Finn leaves the room.

Kylo wants to give her everything and be with her for all eternity. Poe is like " Get in my bed and it'll be hot!"
@SoloSideCousin

I honestly hope this Rey and Poe thing doesn't make its way into Episode IX. It would be such a waste of time.
avatar
rawpowah
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 832
Likes : 4276
Date d'inscription : 2017-11-18

Back to top Go down

Re: General Discussion: Canon Novels/Comics/Short Stories

Post by californiagirl on Wed 16 May 2018, 6:59 pm

@rawpowah wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@Kylo Rey wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@rawpowah wrote:
@Blood Moon wrote:So Rey says "he tortured me on his ship", it was Starkiller Base Rey! 

So this shows the writer of the comic didn't pay attention to what actually happened in the movie. It's inconsistent. But if it's not in the film it doesn't really matter.

And I have a different concept of torture, something like Leia and the droid come to mind.
@Blood Moon

It's either an inconsistency, or a lie from Rey. It seems the writer is actively avoiding an instance where Rey comes clean about her previous experiences with Kylo and Luke (see: porg interruption). Of course, it's also Poe's comic, so the focus has to be on him.

Idk, he's supposed to be the hero in this comic, but he comes across as very unlikable and like a show off. He reminds me of Gaston Laughing
@rawpowah

No kidding! Poe comes across like a dumbass guy trying to chat up Rey at a bar. The minute Finn leaves he is actually reaching out somewhat towards Rey in the picture and using that "yeah, what about that Luke Skywalker thing" as a pick-up line.

Then the "torture buddies" is stupid beyond belief.  I can just see a couple a POWs raising their beers and saying "torture buddies!"

Rey also hesitates after she says the word "torture" in response to Poe. That's either because she thinks Poe is an idiot (which is strongly indicated by the "okay sure") or she is thinking about that word as she repeats it or *both*.  

She throws out "torture" at first because she is all pissy with Kylo, but then she hesitates on the second mention. If she thinks about that moment between as she hesitates, she knows that she did the exact same thing to him. She also knows that she has done some other crap to Kylo. She won't admit it, but she knows she grabbed that lightsaber and the force didn't want her to.

The moment shows the huge dichotomy between Rey and Poe. He is completely vapid, and she is holding the broken lightsaber of the man she considered being Empress with (as confirmed by the database change). She can talk what she wants. She knows what happened and it was elementally serious.
@SoloSideCousin

Rey looks so done in every interaction with Poe lol. Guy has no sense of personal space and doesn't know when to back off. He's slobbering his beer all over her as well, ewwww. Space Prince Darth Darcy would NEVAH. And yeah, WTF kind of line is 'torture buddies' and why would you bond over that.
@Kylo Rey

I agree with all of this. And there is another basic aspect to this whole "pick-up routine" he's been doing in both of these comics from "I'm the best pilot" to "torture buddies", and that is ... that it is all intended to eventually lead to "hey, do you want to come back to my room with me?"

I'm not trying to say is some kind of evil seducer or anything. He's just a guy who thinks Rey is hot and that she can lift up some rocks and sith and that's cool, so he really wants to have sex with her in the near future.

Compare these Rey and Poe bits to the extremely intense, but incredibly serious, intuitive, admiring and, strange as it sounds considering they are half-enemies, respectful sexual energy between Rey and Kylo.

Kylo never lets his skin actually touch her skin until she reaches out with her hand. Compare that to Mr. Sloshing Beer who is reaching out to touch Rey the second Finn leaves the room.

Kylo wants to give her everything and be with her for all eternity. Poe is like " Get in my bed and it'll be hot!"
@SoloSideCousin

I honestly hope this Rey and Poe thing doesn't make its way into Episode IX. It would be such a waste of time.
@rawpowah

Especially if there is a time jump, you'd think even Poe would figure out his pickup act isn't working on Rey. I knew there was some level of possibility Poe would want to flirt with/hit on/try to make a thing happen with Rey, but there was zero chance it would actually go anywhere. I also love how totally not into him and his flippant braggadocio she is.

I never did think that "woo-hoo!" act at the end of TLJ was genuine at all. She looks so fazed and sad and not really into interacting with others in these scenes. The only moment she looks really happy is with the porg Smile
avatar
californiagirl
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 991
Likes : 4374
Date d'inscription : 2017-11-12
Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Re: General Discussion: Canon Novels/Comics/Short Stories

Post by SoloSideCousin on Wed 16 May 2018, 7:06 pm

@rawpowah wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@Kylo Rey wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@rawpowah wrote:
@Blood Moon wrote:So Rey says "he tortured me on his ship", it was Starkiller Base Rey! 

So this shows the writer of the comic didn't pay attention to what actually happened in the movie. It's inconsistent. But if it's not in the film it doesn't really matter.

And I have a different concept of torture, something like Leia and the droid come to mind.
@Blood Moon

It's either an inconsistency, or a lie from Rey. It seems the writer is actively avoiding an instance where Rey comes clean about her previous experiences with Kylo and Luke (see: porg interruption). Of course, it's also Poe's comic, so the focus has to be on him.

Idk, he's supposed to be the hero in this comic, but he comes across as very unlikable and like a show off. He reminds me of Gaston Laughing
@rawpowah

No kidding! Poe comes across like a dumbass guy trying to chat up Rey at a bar. The minute Finn leaves he is actually reaching out somewhat towards Rey in the picture and using that "yeah, what about that Luke Skywalker thing" as a pick-up line.

Then the "torture buddies" is stupid beyond belief.  I can just see a couple a POWs raising their beers and saying "torture buddies!"

Rey also hesitates after she says the word "torture" in response to Poe. That's either because she thinks Poe is an idiot (which is strongly indicated by the "okay sure") or she is thinking about that word as she repeats it or *both*.  

She throws out "torture" at first because she is all pissy with Kylo, but then she hesitates on the second mention. If she thinks about that moment between as she hesitates, she knows that she did the exact same thing to him. She also knows that she has done some other crap to Kylo. She won't admit it, but she knows she grabbed that lightsaber and the force didn't want her to.

The moment shows the huge dichotomy between Rey and Poe. He is completely vapid, and she is holding the broken lightsaber of the man she considered being Empress with (as confirmed by the database change). She can talk what she wants. She knows what happened and it was elementally serious.
@SoloSideCousin

Rey looks so done in every interaction with Poe lol. Guy has no sense of personal space and doesn't know when to back off. He's slobbering his beer all over her as well, ewwww. Space Prince Darth Darcy would NEVAH. And yeah, WTF kind of line is 'torture buddies' and why would you bond over that.
@Kylo Rey

I agree with all of this. And there is another basic aspect to this whole "pick-up routine" he's been doing in both of these comics from "I'm the best pilot" to "torture buddies", and that is ... that it is all intended to eventually lead to "hey, do you want to come back to my room with me?"

I'm not trying to say is some kind of evil seducer or anything. He's just a guy who thinks Rey is hot and that she can lift up some rocks and sith and that's cool, so he really wants to have sex with her in the near future.

Compare these Rey and Poe bits to the extremely intense, but incredibly serious, intuitive, admiring and, strange as it sounds considering they are half-enemies, respectful sexual energy between Rey and Kylo.

Kylo never lets his skin actually touch her skin until she reaches out with her hand. Compare that to Mr. Sloshing Beer who is reaching out to touch Rey the second Finn leaves the room.

Kylo wants to give her everything and be with her for all eternity. Poe is like " Get in my bed and it'll be hot!"
@SoloSideCousin

I honestly hope this Rey and Poe thing doesn't make its way into Episode IX. It would be such a waste of time.
@rawpowah

I don't think it will much. I think with as cheesy as he's coming across that they are totally broadcasting to the hardcore, comic-reading fan that Rey and Poe will never happen.
avatar
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4641
Likes : 22445
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: General Discussion: Canon Novels/Comics/Short Stories

Post by kroi on Wed 16 May 2018, 7:38 pm

I don't even remotely see these scenes as Poe trying to pick-up Rey... and he isn't trying to touch Rey once Finn leaves, he's making a waving hand gesture because he referring to Luke's Force projection. Like 'Force' stuff *waves hand*.
avatar
kroi
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 248
Likes : 1239
Date d'inscription : 2017-01-25

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum