Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Page 20 of 23 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by nickandnora on Fri 02 Mar 2018, 12:43 pm

@Dar-ren19 wrote:To me, the entire point of the ST is the democratization of the idea of the force. Springing Rey Kenobi on us in IX would be pointless, no matter how much the fanboys want it.
@Dar-ren19

I think so too, but maybe we actually haven't seen that process yet? Like, maybe Rey and Ben coming together is what democratizes the force, if that makes sense. I don't mind Rey being a Kenobi, because we don't actually know what that *means* if it's the case. I doubt, if she was, that they've gone this far to make the purpose be "and they're both gifted because of their blood, and that's all the Jedi will ever be." That's not what they're trying to say. But from a canon perspective I can see LF really wanting to write an ending where (because Obi-wan and Anakin originally screwed everything up) their descendants set things right. For all we know, the point is that she *is* from some kind of special lineage but never finds out about it, which means that her destiny was still completely up to her, and Kylo loving her in spite of being "nobody" is still profound. Hope that makes sense. It's kind of hard to explain.

@Kylo Rey

The novelization also told us this:  “But he was right. She did know the truth–and it was the same as her greatest fear, the one that had hunted her for so long.” Which I find *insanely* telling wording. My theory is that they didn't see the past and the future (because really, is the future set in stone?) they saw "deepest fear" and "greatest wish" and merely interpreted it as "past" and "future." Which would mean that Ben's greatest wish is something that spoke to Rey, tremendously, and that's (to me) even more poignant than if it was his future.

Last edited by nickandnora on Fri 02 Mar 2018, 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

nickandnora
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Fri 02 Mar 2018, 12:47 pm

@ZioRen wrote:Making Rey related to somebody notable literally wrecks the whole point TLJ was trying to make.
@ZioRen

Pre-TLJ I would have been on board with her being a Kenobi (although I was always of the opinion that she would be ReyRandom) but now it doesn't really work.
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Fri 02 Mar 2018, 6:12 pm

Count me in as NOT wanting to change Rey Nobody in IX.   Her parentage reveal in TLJ was just beautifully done, and if they try to change that it undermines the whole point.  I do get nervous though this isn’t simply just Colin Trevorrow weirdness based on some quotes from Rian, like where he talks about J.J. having the opportunity to expand upon Rey’s parentage if he so chooses.  I really am hoping that’s just PlotGate bs and not something they really have in the pipeline.  I am saying this as someone who was very much a Rey Palpatine fan early on in the fandom.
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mila95 on Fri 02 Mar 2018, 6:36 pm

I really feel like they won't change her parentage,not after all the comments about how it proves anyone can be strong with the force and it's not limited to certain families.Even a grandparents reveal would undermine that as much as I liked the Rey Kenobi theory.Maybe what they do is expand on her childhood and some circumstances of her abandonment.I've always liked the idea of her freaking out her parents with her force powers and that being a factor in them leaving her and it would be a nice parallel with Ben making Han and Leia worried about it since he was a kid.But I do mostly think the question of her parents is pretty closed and it won't be such a factor in the next movie.

Mila95
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by RosiePancake on Fri 02 Mar 2018, 6:40 pm

@Kylo Rey wrote:
@ZioRen wrote:Making Rey related to somebody notable literally wrecks the whole point TLJ was trying to make.
@ZioRen

Pre-TLJ I would have been on board with her being a Kenobi (although I was always of the opinion that she would be ReyRandom) but now it doesn't really work.
@Kylo Rey

I don't think Rey Kenobi is possible even before TLJ, I mean, Obiwan was an exiled hermit on a harsh desert planet with many burdens on his shoulders (the guilt of failing Anakin and let the dark side corrupted him; raising Padme and Anakin's son; fleeing from the empire), when did he have time to flirt with a woman and even have a child with her? In TCW, Obiwan might have a complicated relationship with a woman but in the end, he chose the Jedi instead, it was the point of his character arc, Obiwan was a human, he had emotion like other people and he could fall in love too, but he devoted to the Jedi and his life was dedicated to them. I think Rey Palpatine makes more sense and could be used (since Palpatine was an aristocrat, he could be married and had a wife but the audience just didn't know that his wife existed, just like OT fans didn't know Sidious' real name was Palpatine back then), just in case if some parts of SW fandom love "Rey the legacy child theory" to the point that they couldn't let it go.
RosiePancake
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Fri 02 Mar 2018, 6:45 pm

@rey09 wrote:
@Dar-ren19 wrote:To me, the entire point of the ST is the democratization of the idea of the force. Springing Rey Kenobi on us in IX would be pointless, no matter how much the fanboys want it.
@Dar-ren19

It never made sense to me- we have three movies where we clearly see THOUSANDS of jedi that were just gifted with the force. No mention of their families ever
@rey09

Yeah I could never see why the force needed to be democratised in the first place. Was there ever a suggestion that you needed special lineage to be a powerful Jedi?

I get that the film tries to say that the force shouldn't belong to the Jedi, but I'm not sure how they're going to get around the lack of the Jedi training. Is it now going to be something like, "if you have a strong connection to the force you don't really need any of that pesky training"? I'm not sure if I like this insta-force that completely does away with the idea of learning and hard work.

Also, the film still positions Rey as the special one because she was chosen by the force to be Kylo's light counterpat. So this doesn't really gel with the idea of, "you're special because of what you do, not because of where you came from". Rey may not have an elite lineage, but she's still a special Chosen One in a different way.
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 on Fri 02 Mar 2018, 6:52 pm

@Saracene wrote:
@rey09 wrote:
@Dar-ren19

It never made sense to me- we have three movies where we clearly see THOUSANDS of jedi that were just gifted with the force. No mention of their families ever
@rey09

Yeah I could never see why the force needed to be democratised in the first place. Was there ever a suggestion that you needed special lineage to be a powerful Jedi?

I get that the film tries to say that the force shouldn't belong to the Jedi, but I'm not sure how they're going to get around the lack of the Jedi training. Is it now going to be something like, "if you have a strong connection to the force you don't really need any of that pesky training"? I'm not sure if I like this insta-force that completely does away with the idea of learning and hard work.

Also, the film still positions Rey as the special one because she was chosen by the force to be Kylo's light counterpat. So this doesn't really gel with the idea of, "you're special because of what you do, not because of where you came from". Rey may not have an elite lineage, but she's still a special Chosen One in a different way.
@Saracene

I just look at it like you CAN have the force power inside you, but you can't tap into it naturally unless there's something going on in the works, and that has not much to do with your genetics. I think the whole midichlorian count and genetic connection messed with it totally and took the mystery out of the force issue.

Also, @snufkin, been meaning to ask you this, but what were the Kenobi easter eggs you were referring to in TFA? Could you please take pity on this newb and expand a bit? Is it the "what girl" and "it is you" thing?
Dar-ren19
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 on Fri 02 Mar 2018, 8:15 pm

@Saracene wrote:
@rey09 wrote:
@Dar-ren19

@rey09

@Saracene

Exactly, that's what bugs me, she clearly is special but we still aren't told why her. It would've been cool if it somehow connected to Jakku but sadly doubt we will get anything remotely interesting like that. Maybe they will explain in comics *rolls eyes*

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 on Fri 02 Mar 2018, 8:17 pm

Maybe she's like Anakin? Were we ever told WHY Anakin was chosen?
Dar-ren19
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 on Fri 02 Mar 2018, 9:04 pm

@Dar-ren19 wrote:Maybe she's like Anakin? Were we ever told WHY Anakin was chosen?
@Dar-ren19

Well everyone was talking about some kind of prophecy with him, so they were expecting him?
rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases on Thu 15 Mar 2018, 1:37 am

Lol Colin liked this tweet

special_cases
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire on Fri 16 Mar 2018, 8:35 pm

The discussion on how Anakin was the "chosen one" was moved to the PT General Discussion thread since that discussion wasn't about Colin in particular.
SheLitAFire

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 1:09 pm

I think we're all going to have a morbid fascination with CT after everything that went down with the ST (including relief that he's out and JJ's returning). But it's almost like he and Jurassic World are the bizarro world equivalents to JJ and the ST because they just announced there will be a 3rd movie with him directing.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 1:17 pm

@snufkin wrote:I think we're all going to have a morbid fascination with CT after everything that went down with the ST (including relief that he's out and JJ's returning). But it's almost like he and Jurassic World are the bizarro world equivalents to JJ and the ST because they just announced there will be a 3rd movie with him directing.
@snufkin

Oh god, I was just looking at CT's filmography yesterday and saw he was writing JW 3. It doesn't seem to be that directing itself is his problem, but his writing or the kinds of stories he chooses to film (Book of Henry).

When all is said and done, JJ will have been attached to IX for not much longer than CT (2-2.5 years). Weird thought. Wonder if they kept any of his ideas. Kind of like GL's ideas for the ST, they took some interesting ideas and repurposed them to better effect than if George had written and directed.
californiagirl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 1:19 pm

@snufkin wrote:I think we're all going to have a morbid fascination with CT after everything that went down with the ST (including relief that he's out and JJ's returning). But it's almost like he and Jurassic World are the bizarro world equivalents to JJ and the ST because they just announced there will be a 3rd movie with him directing.
@snufkin

Better on Jurassic Park than Black Diamond. I wouldn't be surprised if this was some kind of consolation prize for getting thrown off Episode IX, since KK's husband, Frank Marshall, is a producer on those movies. It's either that or Spielberg really does like him.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 1:40 pm

@californiagirl A lot of us in the early days of the forum knew him from Safety Not Guaranteed, which is very charming, and had expectations that's why he got hired for IX. Who knows what went on BTS, but between how JW handled its female characters (and huge relief the fates of Rey, Rose, and Leia are no longer in his hands), the WTF of Book of Henry, and his general prickliness/defensiveness in fielding fans and questions, he definitely did not come off well in comparison to Rian Johnson or even JJ.

@SoloSideCousin - yep, it has to be a consolation prize from KK's husband because he got fired. The whole story of how he got patronage starting with Brad Bird and leading him to Marshall/Spielberg is part of why he's scrutinized and so defensive in response. But then again, I just read about how the guy behind Ren & Stimpy preyed on various young women who were aspiring animators by dangling the same type of patronage in front of them which is how Brad Bird and JJ got their foot in the door. Except these girls were being groomed for his own personal needs and I don't feel too sorry for Trevorrow getting sh*t over how easy it was for him to get into that position.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 4:00 pm

Seems Spielberg really likes Colin. Maybe they are afraid that Colin won't find another job in the industry lol

special_cases
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 5:16 pm

I'm going to be cynical and say big blockbuster reboot JW and its $1.7+ billion haul, second that year only to TFA, was the biggest reason he got hired two months after that film's release. Neutral
californiagirl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 5:36 pm

@snufkin wrote:@californiagirl A lot of us in the early days of the forum knew him from Safety Not Guaranteed, which is very charming, and had expectations that's why he got hired for IX. Who knows what went on BTS, but between how JW handled its female characters (and huge relief the fates of Rey, Rose, and Leia are no longer in his hands), the WTF of Book of Henry, and his general prickliness/defensiveness in fielding fans and questions, he definitely did not come off well in comparison to Rian Johnson or even JJ.
@snufkin

oh gosh, Safety Not Guaranteed is sooo good. My husband is sooo picky and judgmental about movies and he really liked that one. The romantic development was really awesome. I forgot how much we had discussed that movie on here before CT was sacked and how excited SNG made us.

SheLitAFire

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 6:07 pm

Safety Not Guaranteed is amazing. Colin didn't write it, he directed it.
special_cases
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 6:17 pm

I love love love Safety Not Guarenteed. Before Colin got fired, I’d watch it whenever I was feeling shaky about either how things would end, or my fears over his ability to deliver a gripping conclusion to Rey and Ben’s love story. I realize he didn’t write it, but the fact he was hired largely due to this movie (as confirmed by Kathleen Kennedy) makes my heart sing. Still does...
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 6:25 pm

I came around D23, when all the attention was on the TLJ buildup, I missed when BoH came out and the Cursed Child guy was brought in to help writing IX. How quickly the tide turned.

I do genuinely hope CT has better luck with other films, be it JW or a smaller SNG-type thing. I mean, that's kind of why he did Book of Henry, but that kind of backfired on him.
californiagirl
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 6:30 pm

@SheLitAFire It's a great little movie and it feels like LF probably thought it was Rian Johnson they were taking the gamble on but he turned out to be the star student. Like Luke said, things aren't going to go the way you think they are!
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire on Fri 30 Mar 2018, 7:47 pm

@special_cases wrote:Safety Not Guaranteed is amazing. Colin didn't write it, he directed it.
@special_cases

oh that's a good point. I guess I thought he wrote and directed it. But still, the directing was good too; but the screenplay was superb. And I'm always a fan of Aubrey Plaza, Jake Johnson, and Mark Duplass. I just looked up the production info and realized that it was the same producers as Little Miss Sunshine. Go figure, Little Miss Sunshine is one of my all-time favorite movies.
SheLitAFire

Back to top Go down

Post by Teo oswald on Sat 31 Mar 2018, 5:40 am

@rey09 wrote:
@Saracene wrote:
@rey09 wrote:
@Dar-ren19

@rey09

@Saracene

Exactly, that's what bugs me, she clearly is special but we still aren't told why her. It would've been cool if it somehow connected to Jakku but sadly doubt we will get anything remotely interesting like that. Maybe they will explain in comics *rolls eyes*

@rey09

what this trilogy is telling me is that
it does not matter if you come from nothing or if your family is poor,
the force is democratic, the force has someone who is as privileged as Kylo but also has someone like Rey, who has nothing
and what this trilogy is telling us is that you do not have to be a skywalker or a prestigious being to use force or be a jedi. even a person of low funds can be strong and use force Smile
Teo oswald
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 23 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum