Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Page 21 of 25 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by californiagirl on Sat 31 Mar - 12:52

@Teo oswald wrote:
@rey09 wrote:
@Saracene wrote:
@rey09 wrote:
@Dar-ren19 wrote:To me, the entire point of the ST is the democratization of the idea of the force. Springing Rey Kenobi on us in IX would be pointless, no matter how much the fanboys want it.
@Dar-ren19

It never made sense to me- we have three movies where we clearly see THOUSANDS of jedi that were just gifted with the force. No mention of their families ever
@rey09

Yeah I could never see why the force needed to be democratised in the first place. Was there ever a suggestion that you needed special lineage to be a powerful Jedi?

I get that the film tries to say that the force shouldn't belong to the Jedi, but I'm not sure how they're going to get around the lack of the Jedi training. Is it now going to be something like, "if you have a strong connection to the force you don't really need any of that pesky training"? I'm not sure if I like this insta-force that completely does away with the idea of learning and hard work.

Also, the film still positions Rey as the special one because she was chosen by the force to be Kylo's light counterpat. So this doesn't really gel with the idea of, "you're special because of what you do, not because of where you came from". Rey may not have an elite lineage, but she's still a special Chosen One in a different way.
@Saracene

Exactly, that's what bugs me, she clearly is special but we still aren't told why her. It would've been cool if it somehow connected to Jakku but sadly doubt we will get anything remotely interesting like that. Maybe they will explain in comics *rolls eyes*

@rey09

what this trilogy is telling me is that
it does not matter if you come from nothing or if your family is poor,
the force is democratic, the force has someone who is as privileged as Kylo but also has someone like Rey, who has nothing
and what this trilogy is telling us is that you do not have to be a skywalker or a prestigious being to use force or be a jedi. even a person of low funds can be strong and use force Smile
@Teo oswald

Unless that was just Rian Johnson ruining JJ's story!!!!! Smile

It's just sad how many people, including GA, believe that.
avatar
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1019
Likes : 4541
Date d'inscription : 2017-11-12
Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by Darth Dementor on Sat 31 Mar - 13:20

@californiagirl wrote:I'm going to be cynical and say big blockbuster reboot JW and its $1.7+ billion haul, second that year only to TFA, was the biggest reason he got hired two months after that film's release. Neutral
@californiagirl

Yeah it was, along with the high critical praise Safety Not Guaranteed garnered. I'm assuming Kathleen Kennedy thought; based on those two films, Colin could write an original and character driven story centered around a big budget special effects heavy block buster.

Truth is I wasn't on board with CT directing and writing Episode IX. I thought his entry in the Jurassic franchise was just OK but I never felt like it was an all time great movie and he didn't stand out, to me, as a top notch director but because the film blew up all producers saw was "highest grossing movie of all time" and wanted his name attached to their next project.

_________________
avatar
Darth Dementor
Moderator

Messages : 1187
Likes : 5201
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by californiagirl on Sat 31 Mar - 14:34

@Darth Dementor wrote:
@californiagirl wrote:I'm going to be cynical and say big blockbuster reboot JW and its $1.7+ billion haul, second that year only to TFA, was the biggest reason he got hired two months after that film's release. Neutral
@californiagirl

Yeah it was, along with the high critical praise Safety Not Guaranteed garnered. I'm assuming Kathleen Kennedy thought; based on those two films, Colin could write an original and character driven story centered around a big budget special effects heavy block buster.

Truth is I wasn't on board with CT directing and writing Episode IX. I thought his entry in the Jurassic franchise was just OK but I never felt like it was an all time great movie and he didn't stand out, to me, as a top notch director but because the film blew up all producers saw was "highest grossing movie of all time" and wanted his name attached to their next project.
@Darth Dementor

All I knew was that I was going to reserve judgement, even if I was a little wary. I knew LF had way too much to lose on IX for them to mess it up. They have a history of booting people they don't like or who don't go along with the program.

And yet there is this weird dichotomy of "LF doesn't allow for any creative freedom!" and "LF let RJ do whatever he wanted and now JJ is going to do whatever he wants and there's no order to anything!". Like, pick which reason you're going to hate a company if you need to hate that company.
avatar
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1019
Likes : 4541
Date d'inscription : 2017-11-12
Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by snufkin on Sat 31 Mar - 15:31

This is where I would LOVE to have the unvarnished BTS like what we have now for the OT and JD Rinzler was doing for the PT before his blog mysteriously disappeared once he started writing about the juicy stuff. Because you'd guess from comments that JJ was boostering for Ava DuVernay on IX but b/c JW had struck big, they were already taking a risk on RJ for TLJ, and her biggest film to date was Selma (but biggest contribution to the franchise was her role in shaping Snow Fight), they went with CT b/c it seemed like a no-brainer. And with the parallel events with Lord and Miller, KK didn't hesitate to pull the plug on him when things weren't working out. But in terms of what wasn't working out, that's what I'd be super curious to hear about. Super Luke from beyond the grave? Rey is Admiral Akbar's Long Lost Daughter? He certainly didn't help himself just being coworkers with Rian Johnson, who just came off so well with fans, the cast, and delivered a film that may have divided opinions but which made $$$ and meanwhile BoH went over like a lead balloon.

avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 7882
Likes : 35796
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-17
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by rey09 on Sun 1 Apr - 0:18

@Teo oswald wrote:
@rey09 wrote:
@Saracene wrote:
@rey09 wrote:
@Dar-ren19 wrote:To me, the entire point of the ST is the democratization of the idea of the force. Springing Rey Kenobi on us in IX would be pointless, no matter how much the fanboys want it.
@Dar-ren19

It never made sense to me- we have three movies where we clearly see THOUSANDS of jedi that were just gifted with the force. No mention of their families ever
@rey09

Yeah I could never see why the force needed to be democratised in the first place. Was there ever a suggestion that you needed special lineage to be a powerful Jedi?

I get that the film tries to say that the force shouldn't belong to the Jedi, but I'm not sure how they're going to get around the lack of the Jedi training. Is it now going to be something like, "if you have a strong connection to the force you don't really need any of that pesky training"? I'm not sure if I like this insta-force that completely does away with the idea of learning and hard work.

Also, the film still positions Rey as the special one because she was chosen by the force to be Kylo's light counterpat. So this doesn't really gel with the idea of, "you're special because of what you do, not because of where you came from". Rey may not have an elite lineage, but she's still a special Chosen One in a different way.
@Saracene

Exactly, that's what bugs me, she clearly is special but we still aren't told why her. It would've been cool if it somehow connected to Jakku but sadly doubt we will get anything remotely interesting like that. Maybe they will explain in comics *rolls eyes*

@rey09

what this trilogy is telling me is that
it does not matter if you come from nothing or if your family is poor,
the force is democratic, the force has someone who is as privileged as Kylo but also has someone like Rey, who has nothing
and what this trilogy is telling us is that you do not have to be a skywalker or a prestigious being to use force or be a jedi. even a person of low funds can be strong and use force Smile
@Teo oswald

I agree totally but Rey is still special for some reason. She is a nobody and that's great but she is still something different. For instance, is she the only one who has visions of the island? Even Luke senses something special about her. I think she still stands out amongst all the other nobody force users and my question is why her.
avatar
rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1381
Likes : 6503
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by Teo oswald on Sun 1 Apr - 4:31

@rey09

we do not know, or at least I do not remember if rey already had the Force as a child and knew how to use it, we see her at age 19 to test her powers, she told Luke that something has awakened, so the Force had always been there

Kylo and Rey have never seen each other but he has heard of her, so he at least knows something, maybe that something has to do with why it is Rey who was chosen with Kylo.
If you are seen in the visions , with the KOR, because I am convinced that in that scene Kylo saw her and was approaching her Smile
something happened, because as you say, there's a reason
I will not go out as long as the film is for Rey Kenobi Smile but I'm ready for other choices
avatar
Teo oswald
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 430
Likes : 1633
Date d'inscription : 2017-12-12
Age : 27
Localisation : Italy - Trentino Alto-Adige

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by snufkin on Tue 3 Apr - 19:00

Maybe this was going to be the plot point for Rey's real identity in the ST?

avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 7882
Likes : 35796
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-17
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by SheLitAFire on Wed 4 Apr - 0:08

@snufkin wrote:Maybe this was going to be the plot point for Rey's real identity in the ST?

@snufkin

Translation?
avatar
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1916
Likes : 7225
Date d'inscription : 2016-09-15
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by snufkin on Wed 4 Apr - 0:15

@SheLitAFire La Fille du T-Rex = the daughter of T-Rex (the big reveal for IX of Rey's actual identity)
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 7882
Likes : 35796
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-17
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by nickandnora on Wed 4 Apr - 13:54

Conversations in other threads are making me wonder: I wonder how happy TPTB were with Colin's script even before Carrie's passing? Many sources make it sound like her death was THE thing he couldn't work around, but at the time of her passing, had anyone actually seen his completed script? Was the work that followed not good because he had difficulty getting around her absence, or was it just not good in general?

nickandnora
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 372
Likes : 1919
Date d'inscription : 2018-01-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by ZioRen on Wed 4 Apr - 13:56

@nickandnora wrote:Conversations in other threads are making me wonder: I wonder how happy TPTB were with Colin's script even before Carrie's passing? Many sources make it sound like her death was THE thing he couldn't work around, but at the time of her passing, had anyone actually seen his completed script? Was the work that followed not good because he had difficulty getting around her absence, or was it just not good in general?
@nickandnora

The fact that they outright booted him makes me think the issues may have been rooted in tension before rewriting the script became necessary. They may have actually seen that as an excuse to get rid of him. Why not? If they had to start from scratch with the meat of the story anyways might as well cut out the gristle first thing.
avatar
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2599
Likes : 17639
Date d'inscription : 2016-05-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by Birdwoman on Wed 4 Apr - 18:31

I read various rumors about why they fired Colin. Some mentioned the script, he wanted to keep Luke alive and he was difficult to work with...but who knows what is true. I am sure it was because of his issues with the script.

Birdwoman
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1094
Likes : 4812
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by snufkin on Tue 24 Apr - 13:41

I love how at this point, CT is the bizarro world version of JJ and JW is the bizarro world version of the ST (they even have the bizarro world leading male who came from a TV comedy)


avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 7882
Likes : 35796
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-17
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Tue 24 Apr - 16:34

@snufkin wrote:I love how at this point, CT is the bizarro world version of JJ and JW is the bizarro world version of the ST (they even have the bizarro world leading male who came from a TV comedy)


@snufkin

LOL! Maybe CT really was that salty guy in the comments section of that one TLJ review!
avatar
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 5683
Likes : 29489
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Localisation : Seattle, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by californiagirl on Tue 24 Apr - 17:57

The parallels are so specific they're almost creepy, honestly. SW and Jurassic Park were beloved, groundbreaking classic blockbusters from Lucas and his buddy Spielberg, respectively. Both had multiple sequels audiences didn't take very well to. The franchises fell out of cinemas for at least a decade. Large studios decided to revamp the two within mere months of each other, both heavily relying on plots and nostalgic iconography similar to the original installment of each respective series. They made more money than even the wildest of expectations, and were the top grossing films of the year. Both JJ and CT didn't direct the second installment, moving on to other projects instead, but were executive producers and had some level of involvement with its story/writing. But then the Episode IX debacle went down, causing both to return to direct and write the franchises they had revived in the first place. It's WEIRD, dudes.

Except for the one big difference that one of these series is better than the other!
avatar
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1019
Likes : 4541
Date d'inscription : 2017-11-12
Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by Kylo Rey on Tue 24 Apr - 18:05

@californiagirl wrote:The parallels are so specific they're almost creepy, honestly. SW and Jurassic Park were beloved, groundbreaking classic blockbusters from Lucas and his buddy Spielberg, respectively. Both had multiple sequels audiences didn't take very well to. The franchises fell out of cinemas for at least a decade. Large studios decided to revamp the two within mere months of each other, both heavily relying on plots and nostalgic iconography similar to the original installment of each respective series. They made more money than even the wildest of expectations, and were the top grossing films of the year. Both JJ and CT didn't direct the second installment, moving on to other projects instead, but were executive producers and had some level of involvement with its story/writing. But then the Episode IX debacle went down, causing both to return to direct and write the franchises they had revived in the first place. It's WEIRD, dudes.

Except for the one big difference that one of these series is better than the other!
@californiagirl



CT seems quite salty tbh. Wonder what really went down.
avatar
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1318
Likes : 10539
Date d'inscription : 2016-12-24
Age : 22
Localisation : England

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by snufkin on Tue 24 Apr - 18:21

@ISeeAnIsland Ha! I'd forgotten about that article NYMag/Vulture had about how he leapfrogged over the rest of his class at Sundance (which included Ava and Lynn Shelton) thanks to Brad Bird's "he reminds me of me" business and getting fixed up with Spielberg where he was defensive/indignant enough to respond in the comments section.

At this point, it doesn't really matter because he's not going anywhere near IX and JJ returning to finish what he started means we're getting a much better film than whatever CT was planning. But man, I would LOVE to know the BTS of how he got hired (BO from JW and executive decision from Iger is my guess) what it was like dealing with him, and everything which led up to his getting canned. Which sadly we probably never will get because Carrie Fisher was the only person who ever spilled the tea and it seems pretty clear that Disney's lawyers went after JD Rinzler to stop talking about the actual events around the PT's production.
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 7882
Likes : 35796
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-17
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by californiagirl on Tue 24 Apr - 18:32

@snufkin wrote:@ISeeAnIsland Ha! I'd forgotten about that article NYMag/Vulture had about how he leapfrogged over the rest of his class at Sundance (which included Ava and Lynn Shelton) thanks to Brad Bird's "he reminds me of me" business and getting fixed up with Spielberg where he was defensive/indignant enough to respond in the comments section.

At this point, it doesn't really matter because he's not going anywhere near IX and JJ returning to finish what he started means we're getting a much better film than whatever CT was planning. But man, I would LOVE to know the BTS of how he got hired (BO from JW and executive decision from Iger is my guess) what it was like dealing with him, and everything which led up to his getting canned. Which sadly we probably never will get because Carrie Fisher was the only person who ever spilled the tea and it seems pretty clear that Disney's lawyers went after JD Rinzler to stop talking about the actual events around the PT's production.
@snufkin

I think we'll find out eventually.... in like 20-30 years in one of those tell-all making of books. But hopefully sooner in this day when we do have more information and resources than people did when the OT came out.
avatar
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1019
Likes : 4541
Date d'inscription : 2017-11-12
Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by BB-Rey on Tue 24 Apr - 18:58

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/george-lucas-apparently-met-with-colin-trevorrow-about-the-episode-vii-directing-job.452741227/

Colin was actually someone who met with George about directing Episode VII long before J.J. came aboard. So, I think he's someone George really admired for Safety Not Guaranteed but then of course his true colors started to show and Kathy really wanted J.J. as he was more the safest choice and one who could deliver on the feel they were looking for with the trilogy, which is discussed in The Secrets of The Force Awakens. It's a shame he can't handle female characters right as his philosophy of wanting to bring the story full circle gave me such hope for a cohesive story in Episode IX, but we do have Chris Terrio saying the same thing. So here's hoping!
avatar
BB-Rey
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 234
Likes : 685
Date d'inscription : 2017-10-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by snufkin on Tue 24 Apr - 19:07

@californiagirl I will probably be dead if it takes that long. And I wouldn’t count on anything ever getting out ever given that it’s Disney and its psychotic need to control all narratives around company history. The family approved bio of Ward Kimball they blocked on the grounds that a truthful story of someone’s life might not follow the company narrative as a big example besides muffling Rinzler.
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 7882
Likes : 35796
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-17
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by californiagirl on Tue 24 Apr - 19:49

@snufkin We can hope, if probably in vain. And then there are those like Simon Pegg going around saying a bunch of stuff he shouldn't say. Or Alden today accidentally dropping that he is signed for three movies as Han. Stuff leaks sometimes.

Maybe we'll just have to piece the story together from bits and pieces as the years go by. Sort of like the piecing together Reylo from TFA and bits of info from other places.

I'm always amazed by how much people here know that doesn't get noticed at all anywhere else. Like all this stuff about KK wanting JJ back, and maybe CT wasn't even her decision at all. Good grief, what else so we not know?
avatar
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1019
Likes : 4541
Date d'inscription : 2017-11-12
Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by SheLitAFire on Thu 26 Apr - 11:18

@snufkin wrote:I love how at this point, CT is the bizarro world version of JJ and JW is the bizarro world version of the ST (they even have the bizarro world leading male who came from a TV comedy)


@snufkin

O.M.G. i can't believe he posted that ROFL

Everytime I see this thread lit up I'm like GIVE ME MORE INFORMATION. MORE DRAMA! MOOOORRREEEE Twisted Evil lol
avatar
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1916
Likes : 7225
Date d'inscription : 2016-09-15
Age : 32

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by snufkin on Thu 26 Apr - 18:19

@SheLitAFire Um, first of all LMAO Phantom Thread icon! And yes, now that we are relieved on the anxiety that he and his writing parter would do to Rey, Leia, and Rose what they did to the female characters in JW, I'm all about whatever catty, juicy gossip is to be had about him getting booted from the production.
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 7882
Likes : 35796
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-17
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by Kylo Rey on Sun 29 Apr - 16:06

Love me some Colin drama! You called this, @SoloSideCousin!

Colin Trevorrow Was Dismissed from Star Wars Episode IX Earlier Than Realized

A recent report that somehow slipped under the radar suggests that Colin Trevorrow was relieved of his duties to direct Star Wars Episode IX months before it was officially announced.

Scott Wampler of Birth. Movies. Death. fame mentioned, that he had inside knowledge that Colin Trevorrow wasn’t going to direct the sequel trilogy’s final chapter a whole two months before the news became official:



Wampler ultimately chose not to break this story because he didn’t have a second source back up his claim, so he merely teased it in late June. But looking closer at the timeline of events indicate that there’s more to the story than just hearsay.

Take, for instance, a comment made less than a week later, from Trevorrow himself. Speaking to Empire on their podcast, he indicated that he was less enthusiastic to work on a Star Wars movie knowing that it was to be a difficult job as opposed to something he could truly enjoy:

“Unfortunately, Rian’s film is the first one I won’t be able to watch as an audience member. I got that privilege with The Force Awakens. I just got to go see it with a Star Wars fan. I got to sit next to my kid and just giggle as we read the crawl because we were so excited. Rogue One was the same way. I didn’t see it in advance. That time is over now. Star Wars is no longer that experience for me. If there’s anything kind of sad about it, it’s that I don’t get to have that.”

Even before this, he made note of how exhausting it was for him to work on Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and Star Wars Episode IX at the same time all the way back in April of last year. Perhaps the signs were there that he wasn’t completely happy with how things were going (at least in part because his film’s script had to be completely overhauled due to Carrie Fisher’s death), or perhaps this is just an understandable side effect of working on two major tentpoles at the same time without the experience of someone like Steven Spielberg.

Given that Lucasfilm hired Jack Thorne to revise the script late into the game (about a month before Trevorrow was fired and the script was discarded), it seems as though it’s more likely that Lucasfilm just weren’t satisfied with what Trevorrow had been giving them, and that he was probably becoming less enthusiastic to work on the project as a result. Reports from various insiders all indicated that a big problem with his version of the movie boiled down to script issues and an increasingly-unpleasant relationship between the then-director, the crew, and the movie’s executives.

Wampler tweeted out the hint on the 1st of July, while the announcement was made on 5th of September. We know KK asked Rian to take on the job first and he refused and then JJ came back. He's almost certainly been working on this longer than the official announcement. Another thing we called right!
avatar
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1318
Likes : 10539
Date d'inscription : 2016-12-24
Age : 22
Localisation : England

Back to top Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by rawpowah on Sun 29 Apr - 16:25

This drama is so juicy



I'm curious to see what those script issues were. Leia's arc? Ben's? Rey's?
avatar
rawpowah
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 847
Likes : 4317
Date d'inscription : 2017-11-18

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 25 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum