Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Page 23 of 24 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Go down

Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by Kylo Rey on Fri 11 May - 20:08

From the Wall Street Journal (I don't have a sub, I'm just copying select quotes I've seen from elsewhere):

Intrigue and Drama on the Han Solo Set

Colin Trevorrow, the director of “Jurassic World” initially tapped to helm the next “Star Wars” movie, 2019’s Episode IX, was dismissed after Ms. Kennedy grew unhappy with his work on the script, said a person with knowledge of his work on the movie.

A firm and decisive hand is needed in running a major Hollywood franchise, and Ms. Kennedy’s supporters say she has worked well with J.J. Abrams, director of 2015’s “The Force Awakens,” and Rian Johnson on last year’s “The Last Jedi.” Others say she has too frequently second-guessed her own choices and hasn’t effectively resolved disagreements with directors.

Mr. Johnson said he felt Ms. Kennedy gave him a “creative bubble” that empowered him “to tell the story I cared about in the way I wanted to tell it.”

Mr. Abrams said he had differences of opinion “all the time” with Ms. Kennedy, but that she “really takes in what people say and finds a creative way to aggregate and distill the conversation.”

The next “Star Wars” movie, Episode IX, is expected to start shooting in July, but its director drama is already in full swing.

Ms. Kennedy was a fan of Mr. Trevorrow’s work from his independent film “Safety Not Guaranteed” and recommended him to her husband Frank Marshall, who produced “Jurassic World.” Soon after the dinosaur blockbuster was released in 2015, Mr. Trevorrow was hired to write and direct Episode IX and successfully pitched Ms. Kennedy, Mr. Horn and Disney chief executive Robert Iger on his vision for the sequel, said the person with knowledge of his work.

But Ms. Kennedy was unhappy with drafts Mr. Trevorrow co-wrote and one written by “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” playwright Jack Thorne for him to direct. Mr. Trevorrow wasn’t satisfied with Mr. Thorne’s script either and asked to try again, the person close to Episode IX said, but Ms. Kennedy instead fired Mr. Trevorrow last August.

Lucasfilm considered rehiring Mr. Johnson, a person with knowledge of the matter said, though the director said there were no serious discussions. Instead, Mr. Abrams took the job after Ms. Kennedy called him following Mr. Trevorrow’s exit.
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Tue 29 May - 18:31

Colin Trevorrow Talks His Star Wars Episode IX Exit

“I don't want to talk too much about it because I don't want to affect the way that fans get to see these films,” he said. “When we were kids, these movies came to us from far away. They were a gift. And the more we talk about how they're made, the more it reveals that they're just movies. But they're not just movies, they're more than that. Beyond that, I got the opportunity to tell a story that is a celebration of everything I believe in, I got to tell it to George Lucas and I got to tell it to Luke Skywalker, and those are experiences I will cherish for the rest of my life."

Interestingly he divulged the story outline for Episode IX to Mark Hamill and George Lucas.
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 29 May - 18:36

That’s kind of a tell who he talked about it too in terms of his focus
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Tue 29 May - 18:36

@Kylo Rey wrote:Colin Trevorrow Talks His Star Wars Episode IX Exit

“I don't want to talk too much about it because I don't want to affect the way that fans get to see these films,” he said. “When we were kids, these movies came to us from far away. They were a gift. And the more we talk about how they're made, the more it reveals that they're just movies. But they're not just movies, they're more than that. Beyond that, I got the opportunity to tell a story that is a celebration of everything I believe in, I got to tell it to George Lucas and I got to tell it to Luke Skywalker, and those are experiences I will cherish for the rest of my life."

Interestingly he divulged the story outline for Episode IX to Mark Hamill and George Lucas.
@Kylo Rey

Didn't Mark say something about liking Colin's vision, or am I just imagining that?
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Tue 29 May - 18:54

@SoloSideCousin wrote:

@Kylo Rey

Didn't Mark say something about liking Colin's vision, or am I just imagining that?
@SoloSideCousin

No you're not imagining it. He did.

"The changes in the directors have been hard for me because I admire Phil so much. I admire Chris so much. I admire Colin, and their body of work. But again, it's got to be really difficult to come to a meeting of minds on something this massive. I had discussions with Colin. I was very excited because we were on the same page in terms of where we wanted to go and how we wanted to see Luke in a way that we never seen him. Even in this current version. But I don't know what went on. I don't want to know because there is no upside to that story. I like all those people. I like Kathy, and I like Lawrence Kasdan and all the people involve in that decision, but sometimes ignorance is bliss. And they don't tell me anything [laughs]."

He also said this:

“We assumed that Leia would be more prominent in IX, especially since the dynamic of having Kylo Ren as her son. I think it'd be tough recasting only because she's so indelibly linked with that character... I know that the script had been developed enough so that when we lost her, they had to go back to square one. She's irreplaceable, you know, as far as I'm concerned.”
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mielikki on Tue 29 May - 19:17

@Kylo Rey

Sorry, I’m getting all confused by the timeline here.
So Trevorrow wrote the script for Episode IX with Luke in it somewhere between 2015 and 2017, right?
But TLJ had it’s script ready before TFA got released in the theaters, which is 2015.
But Trevorrow wrote parts for Luke?

Am I misunderstanding it? Does Hamill’s “...Even in this current version.” quote refer to dead Luke? Maybe Trevorrow wrote parts for force ghost Luke?
Mielikki
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by nickandnora on Tue 29 May - 19:29

@Mielikki wrote:@Kylo Rey

Sorry, I’m getting all confused by the timeline here.
So Trevorrow wrote the script for Episode IX with Luke in it somewhere between 2015 and 2017, right?
But TLJ had it’s script ready before TFA got released in the theaters, which is 2015.
But Trevorrow wrote parts for Luke?

Am I misunderstanding it? Does Hamill’s “...Even in this current version.” quote refer to dead Luke? Maybe Trevorrow wrote parts for force ghost Luke?
@Mielikki

It's rumoured that one of the things that Colin was trying to get changed from the get-go was Luke's death. I'm not sure how reliable that is though, because it seems like too huge of a bone of contention to start off with. It's also possible that he had a huge role for Luke planned post-death (as a force ghost) kind of like Gandalf I guess.

nickandnora
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mielikki on Tue 29 May - 19:43

@nickandnora wrote:
@Mielikki

It's rumoured that one of the things that Colin was trying to get changed from the get-go was Luke's death. I'm not sure how reliable that is though, because it seems like too huge of a bone of contention to start off with. It's also possible that he had a huge role for Luke planned post-death (as a force ghost) kind of like Gandalf I guess.
@nickandnora

Thank you, that makes perfect sense!

No wonder Hamill was excited about Trevorrow’s script. The Hero of Virtue comes back and saves the day as opposed to, you know, dead.
Mielikki
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Tue 29 May - 19:48

@SoloSideCousin wrote:

@Kylo Rey

@SoloSideCousin

There was a quote a while back about how Colin envisioned increased roles for Carrie AND Mark for IX. (This was way before TLJ and before anyone knew that Luke died in TLJ.)

And I'm pretty sure that you're correct in that someone said something (don't recall if it was Colin or Mark himself) about liking Colin's vision for IX.

So, um, yeah... Colin was either going to resurrect Luke or we were going to get some sort of ridiculous, all-powerful Luke Force Ghost from Colin.
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Tue 29 May - 19:50

It's so like the old EU. I do wonder why they let him try so many times over so long a time frame. Then again, L&M managed to get through filming most of Solo before they were fired.
californiagirl
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah on Tue 29 May - 20:51

He sounds so... passive aggressive. Maybe that's just me. But I too am starting to believe the rumors that he wanted Luke's death retconned, or he wanted to give force ghost Luke a plotline of his own that was going to take focus from the new characters.

It sounds like IX was going to be a Luke fest... which no thank you. I like the character, but I feel like he had his moment in TLJ and it's time to let the new characters shine, particularly the co-protagonists of the ST. I also didn't want CT anywhere near Kylo and the female characters.
rawpowah
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by nickandnora on Tue 29 May - 20:59

Colin Trevorrow lost me as a competent storyteller (and possibly as a relatable human being) when he said in some Book of Henry interview, without a hint of irony, that he wanted to show that Henry had "emotional intelligence, not BOOK intelligence."

Those who have seen the movie, or even just snippets of the movie will understand why that comment is perplexing and kind of borderline terrifying.

nickandnora
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Tue 29 May - 21:00

@rawpowah wrote:He sounds so... passive aggressive. Maybe that's just me. But I too am starting to believe the rumors that he wanted Luke's death retconned, or he wanted to give force ghost Luke a plotline of his own that was going to take focus from the new characters.

It sounds like IX was going to be a Luke fest... which no thank you. I like the character, but I feel like he had his moment in TLJ and it's time to let the new characters shine, particularly the co-protagonists of the ST. I also didn't want CT anywhere near Kylo and the female characters.
@rawpowah

Yeah, totally agree! Especially the bolded! I saw a trailer for Jurassic World before Solo- and yeah, I shouldn't judge a movie before seeing it (not planning to see this, but anyway), but from what I saw in that trailer I'm SO glad he is out! Rolling Eyes
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah on Tue 29 May - 21:01

@Night Huntress The trailer basically gave away the plotline for the entire movie. I doubt I'll miss anything if I pass on it Laughing
rawpowah
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Tue 29 May - 21:10

@rawpowah wrote:@Night Huntress The trailer basically gave away the plotline for the entire movie. I doubt I'll miss anything if I pass on it Laughing
@rawpowah

Well, it's Jurassic World- big scary dinosaurs destroying s*** - it's not like people see this kind of movies for the plot Laughing
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Tue 29 May - 21:13

@rawpowah wrote:He sounds so... passive aggressive. Maybe that's just me. But I too am starting to believe the rumors that he wanted Luke's death retconned, or he wanted to give force ghost Luke a plotline of his own that was going to take focus from the new characters.

@rawpowah

Yeah, he's basically all "Yeah, I got George Lucas's and Mark Hamill's approval, so I'm the real legit one!" I particularly "loved" how he made absolutely no mention of Daisy or Adam, when they *are* the ST.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Tue 29 May - 21:19

@SoloSideCousin wrote:

@rawpowah

Yeah, he's basically all "Yeah, I got George Lucas's and Mark Hamill's approval, so I'm the real legit one!" I particularly "loved" how he made absolutely no mention of Daisy or Adam, when they *are* the ST.
@SoloSideCousin

If rumors are to be believed, Colin told Daisy about his envisioned ending for Rey at an SNL wrap party or whatever it was....and she wound up in tears when he told her (who knows if those were "happy" or "sad" tears).  I think that anecdote is very telling though, compared to whatever he told Mark and Carrie.

And while Adam was supposedly told his character's arc before signing on.... This also would fit with the rumor of Colin struggling to write a decent arc for Ben Solo.
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Tue 29 May - 21:23

Remember all those quotes of Rian and JJ gushing over each other's movies and scripts, about how they worked together to make the transition from TFA to TLJ seamless, how they were totally on the same page? None of that happened here with Rian and Colin. I struggle to think of a single thing Rian said about Colin's script or ideas, nor vice versa. Creative differences indeed.
californiagirl
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by PalmettoBlue on Tue 29 May - 21:27

Daisy said she cried when CT pulled her aside and told her the plot...of course, she cried when she read TLJ script too. I guess that doesn't matter so much.
I'm glad that he's moved along as well.
PalmettoBlue
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

https://palmettosdesk.blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mila95 on Tue 29 May - 21:49

Idk if it's a coincidence but basically every quote from CT about IX I've seen was about Luke or Leia or just something OT related.Only one I saw about Rey was about her parentage where he vaguely made it sound like he'll reveal it or something.Never saw anything about Kylo from him at all.

I definitely wouldn't want some Luke heavy movie.We got that with TLJ,that really should be the biggest role he'll get in the ST considering his hero journey is done.

Mila95
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 29 May - 21:58

Oh he sounds very passive aggressive and wouldn’t be surprised if he’s bitter over the whole experience. To use a sports metaphor he was the promising rookie who got elevated way too far and way too fast and then choked. And by choked I don’t mean that JW didn’t make a ridiculous amount of money. More that there was plenty of evidence from JW and BoH that he couldn’t handle something that was character driven and which has a woman as the central protagonist. His persona in press interviews versus RJ has been very prickly and didn’t really give hope that he’d handle situations with the same diplomacy and grace RJ has.

snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by YeeRees on Tue 29 May - 22:08

I am glad Colin Trevorrow was replaced, even if I do have misgivings about JJ coming back.

But with Kathleen Kennedy’s husband Frank Marshall producing the Jurassic World trilogy, of which Trevorrow is a big part, he is still one of the family, so to speak. I can’t see him saying anything truly bad or damaging when he’s directing JW3 as a consolation prize. It’s not Star Wars but if Fallen Kingdom does well, he might inwardly be breathing a sigh of relief about not having the weight of Ep IX and all that goes with it on his shoulders.
YeeRees
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Blood Moon on Tue 29 May - 23:13

This can be read different ways right? Is it about SW, JW? I'm thinking it's about SW. He's saying it in a way that it's hard to decipher for me.
That was probably his intention.
Blood Moon
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Tue 29 May - 23:32

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:

@rawpowah

@SoloSideCousin

If rumors are to be believed, Colin told Daisy about his envisioned ending for Rey at an SNL wrap party or whatever it was....and she wound up in tears when he told her (who knows if those were "happy" or "sad" tears).  I think that anecdote is very telling though, compared to whatever he told Mark and Carrie.

And while Adam was supposedly told his character's arc before signing on.... This also would fit with the rumor of Colin struggling to write a decent arc for Ben Solo.
@ISeeAnIsland

I too am gathering he either wanted Luke’s death retconned OR worse, he wanted to make a major character story arc for a Force ghost. Either way, it’s terrible all the way around. Thank the maker JJ, the original Reylo is back!!!! I’m also of the mind that the Reylo Love Child per our friend FOOLSLS *may* have been a real legit thing with Colin... Neutral cyclops
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Tue 29 May - 23:40

@Blood Moon wrote:

This can be read different ways right? Is it about SW, JW? I'm thinking it's about SW. He's saying it in a way that it's hard to decipher for me.
That was probably his intention.
@Blood Moon

Good lord... Check out the comments in the whole thread:

https://twitter.com/colintrevorrow/status/1001517034990178306

Lots of comments from Colin's "fans" on how awful TLJ was, and how lucky he was to get out, etc....
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 24 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum