ARCHIVE: The Last Jedi: General Discussion - 1

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

ARCHIVE: The Last Jedi: General Discussion - 1 - Page 37 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: The Last Jedi: General Discussion - 1

Post by SoloSideCousin on Mon 06 Feb 2017, 10:15 pm

@SanghaRen wrote:@SoloSideCousin

The question is how you put that on screen with so many characters and quite a lot of loose ends to tighten to make for a good story. Bloodline is a book centered on one of the famous characters so it's much easier to go into psychological issues. I think without a real event the GA can grasp, it's going to be a tough one for the OT fans who put the trio on a pedestal. At the same time if they show Luke in another light and both Rey and Finn having their own issues - especially Rey -, it could even up and non "overthinking" people could start looking at all characters with less binary eyes. Some will keep their binary eyes but I think when you grey out everyone, chances are it will lead the GA to change their perspective. Sully the "good" ones to make the "bad" ones less bad and the "good" ones less unrealistically good Very Happy
@SanghaRen

Yeah, that surrogate kid stuff won't be in the movie, but if they play it smart they can show an enormous amount in memory images, a look here, a line delivery there, a desolate, lonely visual. I am reminded of how they handled Snape and Lily as kids in Harry Potter. That was a very short sequence, but it told a lot. If Rian Johnson is as good as people are saying he is, he should be able to.encapsulate a ton of information in a few lines of dialogue.

You are right that not everyone will get it, but I think that you are right on the money with how they will acclimate people to the new post-RO/Cold Killer Luke in comics/Leia as compulsive PTSD sufferer never being able to give up the fight in Bloodline era. If they grey up the perfect ones and lighten up people like Kylo some, people will start to realize, maybe even subconsciously for some, that we're not in Kansas anymore (aka the GL era), and the mindset of the audience will start to shift IMO. Most people in the GA will be fine because for almost two decades (I'm using The Sopranos as a rough starting marker) they have been watching TV shows where they have identified with people with serious flaws and morality issues, so SW will just seem like it's entered the modern era.

For the ones who have to have the OT3 remain in stasis for childhood reasons, I think LF/Disney is ready to risk losing them. For starters the international market beyond the old standbys of the US, Canada and Europe is becoming incredibly important ... and those markets don't have any investment in the OT3, just in compelling movies. Second, they are not remaking Disneyworld for people who have super clear memories of seeing ANH in the theatre. They are making it over for younger people. Also, though I saw all three in the theatre (if you call being 2 years old in one of those viewings as "seeing"), the OT3 should be written well and realistically, not cast in marble ... and frankly after the prequels it was the newbies like Kylo that brought me back into the fold ... and I know that I can't be alone in thinking that. Finally, I think after the success TFA had in resurrecting the franchise ... and just the sheer fact that people willingly sat through some really bad prequel moments will give LF/Disney a lot of confidence that for all the whining that may happen, most will not drop off ... and if a few do, maybe it's not such a big loss if a good story makes the franchise take off in markets like India and China.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

ARCHIVE: The Last Jedi: General Discussion - 1 - Page 37 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: The Last Jedi: General Discussion - 1

Post by Armadeus on Mon 06 Feb 2017, 10:51 pm

Walking down the route of trying to please everyone (old and new fans alike) is like careening down a jagged slope on a unicycle while juggling tigers that have been set on fire, in the hopes that the people who may think the unicycle a tad passe, will be thrilled by the tigers... it's all going to go horribly wrong.

Personally, I've accepted that the ST may not be everything I hope for in a SW film. I'm not going to walk into TLJ expecting the film to please me (don't suppose it will). It may be a crushing disappointment. I've made my peace with that and am prepare to move on, if that is the case. Very Happy

All I expect from the film makers is for them to tell the story that they want told. Some people will love it, some will hate it. Such is the way of the world, and that's what they signed up for when they decided to make the ST.

Last edited by Armadeus on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 12:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Armadeus
Armadeus
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

https://www.fictionpress.com/u/564105/

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Mon 06 Feb 2017, 11:51 pm

I'd much rather see the OT3 develop as real characters than to see them be these perfect, untouchable Gods among men. I think they will and old fans will have to accept that things and people change. They'll always have the OT, anyways.

There's a subset of SW fans ready to burn this thing if it does anything 'wrong.' I see fans complain that the toys aren't being targeted towards them. They feel entitled to SW and the OT3 since they grew up with it and stuck with it for so long.
Helix
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 12:05 am

Random comment:

Do you think it is possible for Kylo, Rey and gang to end up back on Jakku eventually during the sequel trilogy? It is possible the Jakku might play a bigger role than some dumpy desert planet.

Birdwoman
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 12:31 am

@SanghaRen wrote:@panki

Ouch that does not sound very nice. I do hope there's more to it than her being busy being Politician of the Year. I understand that she'd want to do the right thing for the Galaxy, but you bring a child into this world and you're an adult so take care of him. Reading the extract you provide, I could see how Ben would resent his Dad more. At least Leia tries to do something for the people, while Han is seemingly having fun - or rather escaping his duties. We shall see if this is the whole story or there's more to it. So far Han and Leia do not even get a nomination to Best Parents in the Galaxy.
@SanghaRen

This sums up what Adam said about Ben on the blu ray perfectly. that his parents were pursuing their own 'selfish agendas' and just weren't there.
Luke wasn't a parent; his job was as a teacher - he would have known how to tutor Ben in the ways of the Force but not how to deal with a desperately lonely kid who just wanted mum and dad. Han and Leia should have grown up.
And trying to replace their unhappy and needy son with other kids; blaming him for being 'too much like Vader' was unforgiveable. Ironically just as Anakin's well meaning desire to save his wife led to her death, Han and Leia's seeing Vader in their son drove him towards him. They made the same mistakes as Leia's father,but unfortunately without the excuses.

Last edited by motherofpearl1 on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 12:37 am

@Helix wrote:I'd much rather see the OT3 develop as real characters than to see them be these perfect, untouchable Gods among men. I think they will and old fans will have to accept that things and people change. They'll always have the OT, anyways.

There's a subset of SW fans ready to burn this thing if it does anything 'wrong.' I see fans complain that the toys aren't being targeted towards them. They feel entitled to SW and the OT3 since they grew up with it and stuck with it for so long.
@Helix

I'm an OT fan, and I always saw the OC as flawed - Leia was obsessed with the cause,Han selfish,Luke quick tempered. I actually liked this about them,it was refreshing. Ihave no objection to seeing them shown as having damaged Ben to such a degree he Fell. What I want is for them to admit they failed him. They have to forgive him,but also to ask him to forgive them, as Han did.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 1:12 am

@Helix wrote:I'd much rather see the OT3 develop as real characters than to see them be these perfect, untouchable Gods among men. I think they will and old fans will have to accept that things and people change. They'll always have the OT, anyways.

@Helix

The thing is that they were never perfect. The problem is that fans made them perfect in their own head canons. And without further insight they forgot the fact that the main reason for them to be such great characters was their imperfection and humanity.
They're not perfect cartoonish super heros at all.

Last edited by Darth_Awakened on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 1:32 am

I guess it's a case of being blinded by hero-worship.
Helix
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 1:50 am

@Darth_Awakened wrote:

@Helix

The thing is that they never were perfect. The problem is that fans made me perfect in their own head canons. And without further insight they forgot the fact that the main reason for them to be such great characters was their imperfection and humanity.
@Darth_Awakened

It's funny but as a lifelong comic book fan, it was the flawed,imperfect superheroes like the X Men that were my favourites!

Rey and Kylo are appealing to me because both are 'shades of grey' characters; a villain who is a victim of child abuse and neglect, and a heroine who makes mistakes.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rimfaxe96 on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 2:56 am

The thing is that they were never perfect. The problem is that fans made them perfect in their own head canons. And without further insight they forgot the fact that the main reason for them to be such great characters was their imperfection and humanity.
@Darth_Awakened

They were in the EU. Especially Luke was pretty much demigod-like. Thank God the EU is gone now.
Rimfaxe96
Rimfaxe96
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MindAndMagic on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 6:33 am

@Helix wrote:I guess it's a case of being blinded by hero-worship.
@Helix

The funny thing is, they have no idea what they're worshipping (if indeed the OT trio is infallible in their eyes). That just shows they don't know these characters at all. Just because they've come back after 30+ years, doesn't mean they've achieved a god-like status. That's not interesting to anyone and it's not even respectful to the characters, it doesn't do them justice because what made them memorable and gave them depth in the first place was how real they felt. Why would we want to revisit them if everything is hunky-dory? What would the story be about? The whole point of Han's character in TFA was that he failed as a father and that destroyed him. Compare this broken, bitter person to the smug, cynical young man in ANH. And, my goodness, was he punished for all the smugness, cynicism and lack of belief in the most painful way possible, through his own child. His arc came full circle in TFA. He finally, truly understood what it was like to take care of another human being, to be responsible for someone else's fate, he finally started believing in the Force through his son. And he sacrificed himself in the hope that he could save him and bring him home. Both Han and Leia love their son immensely and unconditionally, that much is clear from TFA. Yet it is also clear they made huge mistakes. Luke is no different, but that story is yet to be told. Ben needed to be kept safe, yes. But what he needed the most was for his loved ones to be there for him.

Kylo has a long way ahead of him, filled with pain and torment. His father's sacrifice will haunt him forever, no doubt about that, because he loves him too. We don't even need to see Adam's face when he says "He means nothing to me", his quiet, trembling voice tells us everything that's going on inside of him. And just when he has pretty much reached the bottom, he meets someone he feels he can share a meaningful emotional connection with. The one person that can understand him in his loneliness and isolation. And this one person thinks of him as a monster. Or does she? Wink The big question is, can they find a way to bridge the distance between them and save one another? We shall see.
MindAndMagic
MindAndMagic
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 12:42 pm

@motherofpearl1 wrote:
@SanghaRen wrote:@panki

Ouch that does not sound very nice. I do hope there's more to it than her being busy being Politician of the Year. I understand that she'd want to do the right thing for the Galaxy, but you bring a child into this world and you're an adult so take care of him. Reading the extract you provide, I could see how Ben would resent his Dad more. At least Leia tries to do something for the people, while Han is seemingly having fun - or rather escaping his duties. We shall see if this is the whole story or there's more to it. So far Han and Leia do not even get a nomination to Best Parents in the Galaxy.
@SanghaRen

This sums up what Adam said about Ben on the blu ray perfectly. that his parents were pursuing their own 'selfish agendas' and just weren't there.
Luke wasn't a parent; his job was as a teacher - he would have known how to tutor Ben in the ways of the Force but not how to deal with a desperately lonely kid who just wanted mum and dad. Han and Leia should have grown up.
And trying to replace their unhappy and needy son with other kids; blaming him for being 'too much like Vader' was unforgiveable. Ironically just as Anakin's well meaning desire to save his wife led to her death, Han and Leia's seeing Vader in their son drove him towards him. They made the same mistakes as Leia's father,but unfortunately without the excuses.
@motherofpearl1

Well said. As much as I loved Leia in the OT (and Han), the way they've developed the characters is really realistic, however hard to swallow for older fans who are more set in their ways. Career-driven people can be child-centric just like everyone else and devote their lives to their kids, but it's a rarity, and with Leia having a cause she's passionate about and Han shirking his responsibilities in favor of living his life as he wants to, Ben was left by the wayside and soon fell into the clutches of Snoke. Like PH, I don't think it's a full excuse for him becoming Kylo Ren. I expect he had his own purposes and set mindset of why it was right at the time. But I do think the writing is strong, and I like where it's gone. People evolve and change throughout their lifetimes, and being a hero doesn't equivocate to being a perfect parent. I don't know if Carrie Fisher and Adam Driver got to film any scenes together before her untimely passing away, but I'm hoping as much. I'd love to see a mother and son reunion in TLJ.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 12:48 pm

God, one thing I hated about the EU post-ROTJ was how Luke, Han and Leia could never do anything wrong. I mean, just look at how Jacen was treated. Don't even get me started on it.
Irina de France
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 1:45 pm

@Irina de France wrote:God, one thing I hated about the EU post-ROTJ was how Luke, Han and Leia could never do anything wrong. I mean, just look at how Jacen was treated. Don't even get me started on it.
@Irina de France

I only read that first Timothy Zahn one and another one when they first came out and I confess that I found most of it tedious except for Mara Jade and her grey characterization. Luke was the perfect Zen master, which I couldn't stand. I didn't buy his "Zen-ness" in ROTJ. (Even though I was only 8 years old during ROTJ, I knew that sudden jump to utter calm was unearned, because how does somebody go from being the impulsive, pi**y wreck Luke was in ESB to the Jedi version of the Dalai Lama in ROTJ?) So I definitely didn't believe it in those early books when the Zen-ness was turned up to 11. Leia also seemed to lose her own temperamental traits as well, while Han kind of came across a little like a schlub in the face of the force user twins. I also remember the books feeling very safe in terms of humor and snark. I mean I remember some whole scene going into Lando introducing Luke to hot chocolate.

It does sound like the books became edgier as time went on ... at least with all the dark side violence stuff and a sister having to kill her brother ... but I have definitely gotten the impression that the OT3 stayed in their more cutesy ROTJ incarnations no matter what happened around them.

You know @Rimfaxe96 may be right. Some of this unrealistic hero worship for some folks may come more from being immersed in the Great OT3 in the EU for teo decades than the actual movies. I mean it seems like there had to be dozens of books ... books more recent than the characterization zenith that we saw in ESB.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 1:49 pm

@Irina de France wrote:God, one thing I hated about the EU post-ROTJ was how Luke, Han and Leia could never do anything wrong. I mean, just look at how Jacen was treated. Don't even get me started on it.
@Irina de France

I honestly feel so sorry for Jacen.Poor guy lost his brother was brutally tortured and on top of that never got to be a father to his child because the writers treated him like crap.And then people say the EU was better for the OT3 than canon?Give me a f****ing break they killed two of Han and Leia's kids,killed Luke's wife turned Jacen into a Sidious wanna be(and Han and Leia didn't even give a damn about him once he fell to the DS) and pretty much destroyed everything Timothy Zahn's trilogy established(I've read only the first book  like @SoloSideCousin but I know that the trilogy was very popular back then).I'm pretty sure anything we get canon would be better than the EU fuckery(unless Kylo doesn't suffer the same fate as Jacen).

Last edited by CienaRee on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 1:58 pm

@CienaRee wrote:
@Irina de France

I honestly feel so sorry for Jacen.Poor guy lost his brother was brutally tortured and on top of that never got to be a father to his child because the writers treated him like crap.And then people say the EU was better for the OT3 than canon?Give me a f****ing break they killed tw of Han and leia's kids,killed Luke's wife turned Jacen into a Sidious wanna be(and Han and Leia didn't even give a damn about him once he fell to the DS) and pretty much destroyed everything Timothy Zahn's trilogy established(I've read only the first book  like @SoloSideCousin but I know that the trilogy was very popular back then).I'm pretty sure anything we get canon would be better than the EU fuckery(unless Kylo doesn't suffer the same fate as Jacen).
@CienaRee
I've never read anything from the EU and probably never will, but the fact that this has already all been written is another good indication that they aren't going down exactly the same path again, IMO. They chose to discard the EU in order to tell their own new story. They wouldn't throw out the EU only to retell the EU with different names. And as I've been saying for a long time, anyone disappointed that the EU is gone needs to realize that it isn't gone. It's all still there to be read and enjoyed. If you want to think the EU is the real continuation of RotJ then so be it and ignore everything to dow with the ST films. It's not that complicated. You don't even have to wait years and years for it to come out because it already exists, but don't let blind love for one version of the story create goggles that enable you to only see that version and nothing else (or even be angry that your preferred version is no longer "canon"). It doesn't matter what's canon and what isn't, all that matters is what story you enjoy.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 2:17 pm

@CienaRee wrote:
@Irina de France

I honestly feel so sorry for Jacen.Poor guy lost his brother was brutally tortured and on top of that never got to be a father to his child because the writers treated him like crap.And then people say the EU was better for the OT3 than canon?Give me a f****ing break they killed two of Han and Leia's kids,killed Luke's wife turned Jacen into a Sidious wanna be(and Han and Leia didn't even give a damn about him once he fell to the DS) and pretty much destroyed everything Timothy Zahn's trilogy established(I've read only the first book  like @SoloSideCousin but I know that the trilogy was very popular back then).I'm pretty sure anything we get canon would be better than the EU fuckery(unless Kylo doesn't suffer the same fate as Jacen).
@CienaRee

And let's not mention how once Jacen became Darth Caedus (and I mean, his defining DS moment was to kill Mara Jade. What. The. F**k.), the only person who still gave a crap about him was Our Lord and Savior Luke Skywalker (OBVIOUSLY), and *sometimes* Tenel Ka Djo, but ya know, that's obvious too, she was his wife, after all. Han, Leia and Jaina get all determined to kill him "b'cuz he's evulz" while supporting their dictator of a cousin, and it's only after Jaina kills Jacen (her twin, mind you) that she then starts wondering: "Hmm, I wonder why he fell to the DS?" And on the other hand, well, you got Ben Skywalker, Luke and Mara's son, who also wants Jacen dead (though I honestly don't blame the guy for that, let's be fair), but then, his ex-Sith girlfriend Vestara Khai DARES to be sad when they kill her dad, but you know, she shouldn't "b'cuz he's evulz" and then, le gasp! She goes back to the DS and becomes a Sith lady.

Ugh. A big pile of wasted potential.
Irina de France
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 2:47 pm

I'm actually glad to see the last of those stories and characters (especially superman and super-saint Luke) with the exception of Mara Jade, Tenel Ka Djo and Vestara Khai..... I wouldn't mind seeing those three ladies brought back into canon in some form or another.

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 5:34 pm

The EU was far too expansive and intimidating to try and get into when I became a SW fan, but now I don't really regret not getting into it. Laughing Sounds like digging through a lot of bad, poor characterization for a few gems.
Helix
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 5:59 pm

I haven't read so many books about the EU and I don't regret it. I have never found it great. Just remember about Jaina, Jacen and Anakin Solo. Luke & Leia's mother was named Nadhira. And that's all! Good that they didn't took inspiration from it. I remember how many articles there were about Rey & Kylo being necessarily Jaina & Jacen Solo because it couldn't be otherwise. There were even tons of articles about Luke being Kylo Ren because people couldn't understand that he wasn't on the poster. So people imagined a sort of Father-Daughter's confrontation again a la Luke-Vader. Good job because when I went to the theaters I was far from imagining that Reylo was going to hit me in the face right from the first viewing. And now I have become a Reylo obssessed Twisted Evil When I think that I have always promised myself to become obssessed with anything of that kind, that's an epic fail! lol!
reylo1992
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 6:18 pm

@Helix wrote:The EU was far too expansive and intimidating to try and get into when I became a SW fan, but now I don't really regret not getting into it. Laughing Sounds like digging through a lot of bad, poor characterization for a few gems.
@Helix

The later post-ROTJ books after the New Jedi Order certainly were. The Swarm War was underwhelming after that series and as @Irina de France mentioned, Legacy of the Force completely dropped the ball with all the characters in the series. Han and Leia supported a dictator (who had tried to kill them in the past) wanting to split Coreilla from the New Republic and completely disowned Jacen after he turned to the DS. They give up on him far too soon and easily and Leia even orders Jaina, her own daughter to kill her own son! I'm sorry but what?! Also Jacen... ugh. After an amazing character arc in the New Jedi Order where he questions how to use the Force and has to survive captivity by the Yuuzhan Vong, he turns to the DS in a style to similar to Anakin (he sees a vision threatening the life of his lover and his daughter) and remains a boring, ruthless dictator. There's no conflict, no inner turmoil or questioning on whether he's doing the right thing - he's just "evilzzzz" and "bad-a**" for the rest of the arc. Sleep Sleep Sleep The Legacy of the Force was so awful that I didn't read any of the books set after it.

But despite that, there are a lot of really good stories set after ROTJ in the EU. I always recommend Timothy Zahn's books, starting with the Thrawn Trilogy. That has a fun, interesting adventure, the SW lore is expanded and the characters are tested in how they think and what they do. It's also the book that introduces Mara Jade and Thrawn into the universe. I know I've talked a lot about Mara Jade in the past, but I can't help it - I just LOVE her character. She's sassy, yet vulnerable. She appears to be bad-a** but underneath she's got a heart of gold. She's feminine and strong and no one is more tested than her in the story, through her beliefs and moral standpoints. When I first discovered Mara through reading the Emperor's Hand comic and the Thrawn Trilogy comic adaptation, finding Mara was incredible for my nine-year old self because when watching the OT and PT, I wished the main heroines (Leia and Padme) could wield lightsabers and use the Force like the guys and it was always sad and frustrating for me that they never did (now as I'm older, I appreciate them for different reasons a lot more). So Mara allowed me to imagine this and prove that women could use lightsabers and the Force as well as the guys and she was for me and many other girls back then what Rey and Ahsoka is for young girls now.

Thrawn was interesting because he was a totally different villain to what we'd seen before - he analysed his opponent's tactics and history in order to defeat them and never underestimated them, something which the movie villains did a little too much lol. There's also Tattooine Ghost which has Leia go on a journey discovering who Darth Vader was as a child and learning to forgive her father for his crimes. And The New Jedi Order which was a massive game-changer for the franchise with the Yuuzhan Vong. The Vong were a total departure from the previous books, with them being immune to the Force and hating machines and seeing them and the Jedi as heretics. Regardless of whether you find them silly or interesting, you actually felt that the characters were in real danger (especially after the death of Chewbacca) which was really refreshing. And you have the characters tested as well. It was a really bumpy ride lol.

So yes, there is a lot of good stuff and some bad stuff too. Some I wish were brought back into canon *cough* Mara Jade *cough* some I do not miss at all like the Legacy of the Force and the god-awful Legacy comics with Luke's descendant Cade.

@FrolickingFizzgig wrote: I've never read anything from the EU and probably never will, but the fact that this has already all been written is another good indication that they aren't going down exactly the same path again, IMO. They chose to discard the EU in order to tell their own new story. They wouldn't throw out the EU only to retell the EU with different names. And as I've been saying for a long time, anyone disappointed that the EU is gone needs to realize that it isn't gone. It's all still there to be read and enjoyed. If you want to think the EU is the real continuation of RotJ then so be it and ignore everything to dow with the ST films. It's not that complicated. You don't even have to wait years and years for it to come out because it already exists, but don't let blind love for one version of the story create goggles that enable you to only see that version and nothing else (or even be angry that your preferred version is no longer "canon"). It doesn't matter what's canon and what isn't, all that matters is what story you enjoy.
@FrolickingFizzgig

They're certainly be bringing elements from the EU into canon. We've already had Rogue One - which is similar to Dark Forces in many ways with the Death Troopers coming back and having a similar premise (Mon Mothma sending a team to steal the Death Star plans, Kyle Katarn and Jan Ors/Cassian Andor and Jyn Erso, a Grand Moff is the villain etc) Thrawn is back in Rebels and his character is consistent with his Legends counterpart and even Garris Shrike who was Han's mentor in the EU will be taking on this role in the new canon. Things won't be exactly the same, but maybe similar in some retrospects. But sadly all the EU books will be out of print very soon Sad. I find that incredibly sad, because new SW fans will find it very difficult to go back and discover those stories and characters for themselves if they wanted to.

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 6:41 pm

@AppleCrumble122
I was specifically referring to the Jacen/Jaina storyline when I said "threw out the EU", just so you know. Of course they're bringing back certain elements and certain characters, but they aren't just going to retell that version of events with different names in place of other EU characters.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 6:45 pm

@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:@AppleCrumble122
I was specifically referring to the Jacen/Jaina storyline when I said "threw out the EU", just so you know. Of course they're bringing back certain elements and certain characters, but they aren't just going to retell that version of events with different names in place of other EU characters.
@FrolickingFizzgig

I get you Wink. But yes, I am very glad they're not bringing it back! It was awful! Back before I saw TFA, I got exposed to the Rey Skywalker theory and spoiled that Kylo Ren was Han and Leia's son and I was not impressed because I was like "What? They're rehashing the Jacen/Jaina storyline?!" lol. Thankfully it turned out to be false.

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 9:49 pm

The OT was a big part of my childhood, but honestly just reading this thread, I think I knew on some level that there were books and comics about what happened afterwards. But I had no idea (or interest) to find out about it. But some of the examples ya'll have mentioned here, it suddenly makes clear why some of the Internet comments about how the ST is supposed to turn out. And I can't think of any other type of parallel, but man can I see how people who were fans of those works are likely pissed that Disney made the decision to ditch them for their version of LF 2.0.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru on Wed 08 Feb 2017, 3:53 am

I'm a huge fan of Star Wars ever since I was a little girl, and I've read a lot EU books/comics over the years, but I have to say that I don't care at all that they ditched the old EU. It's time for Star Wars to have new stories and new characters, new Force lore and different perspectives. Of course fans will be pissed, but they need to be sensible and understand that the new movies are not made solely for them. Disney/LF wants to grab a new audience -- kids like my brother who get bored watching the OT and the ST, who think Darth Vader's badassery is not enough for making him an interesting villain, and who want more than Skywalker family everywhere.
Piper Maru
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum