ARCHIVE: The Last Jedi: General Discussion - 1

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

ARCHIVE: The Last Jedi: General Discussion - 1 - Page 38 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: The Last Jedi: General Discussion - 1

Post by Rogue Rey on Thu 09 Feb 2017, 12:17 pm

Something occurred to me. Finn has been a member of the First Order longer than Kylo, Hux and Phasma - even if it wasn't by choice.

Just felt like sharing that thought Laughing Laughing
Rogue Rey
Rogue Rey
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

ARCHIVE: The Last Jedi: General Discussion - 1 - Page 38 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: The Last Jedi: General Discussion - 1

Post by motherofpearl1 on Thu 09 Feb 2017, 12:25 pm

I've never read the EU. But I found the idea of Jacen being killed by his own sister revolting - it made a complete mockery of ROTJ and Luke saving his father.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 09 Feb 2017, 12:37 pm

@Rogue Rey wrote:Something occurred to me. Finn has been a member of the First Order longer than Kylo, Hux and Phasma - even if it wasn't by choice.

Just felt like sharing that thought Laughing Laughing
@Rogue Rey

Finn's a pretty awesome character, and I adore John Boyega. You're right, he grew up in the First Order, which I think also makes his decision to leave it even more inspiring. I'm excited to see what they have in store for Finn in TLJ. Just because we all ship the explosive chemistry between Reylo doesn't mean Finn is any less amazing. He's a cool character, and I'm really looking forward to seeing where they go with his story.

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Thu 09 Feb 2017, 12:42 pm

I love Finn.
But....I wish they'd stop judging Kylo by Finn and Rey. People react differently to different situations. Rey and Finn had horrible childhoods. But neither of them had a creepy old monster in their heads. Neither of them were mentally ill. I find aspects of Kylo's personality as admirable as theirs. Rey retained her innocence, Finn his sense of right and wrong. Kylo hid his fear. And his humanity is still inside him.Despite Snoke's best efforts to destroy it.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 09 Feb 2017, 2:32 pm

To kind of piggyback on some of the discussions here about traditionalist fan expectations in regards to these characters and their relationships, this is really worth reading. Of course the type of fans who are insistant on things going a certain way are likely not the type to read and/or agree with it!

Is Canon as Important as We Think It Is?

Janina Scarlet, a licensed clinical psychologist who integrates geek-friendly iconography and stories into her practice in a model she calls Superhero Therapy, says the grief I experienced is common. “Some fans might regard certain characters almost as dear friends,” Scarlet says. “This is called parasocial relationships (PSRs). Recent research studies suggest that positive PSRs can help people improve their self-esteem, increase motivation, and improve own self-image. Hence, it might not be surprising that some fans might have a personal connection over their favorite franchise.”

Not all fans are gate-keepers; plenty will heartily debate points or commiserate on the finer details of a franchise’s history without things ever turning ugly. But there’s a segment of fandom that lords their knowledge and experience over others. In these instances, knowledge of canon isn’t just about greater enjoyment; it’s a wall built to keep so-called “lesser” or “fake” geeks out. How much canon do you know? Do you like the “old, true canon,” or the new business-driven one? This elitist, exclusionary behavior can be seen in many fandoms—but it’s by no means representative of all fans.

Jennifer Barnes is an Assistant Professor of Psychology at the University of Oklahoma, who teaches courses on fandom in addition to creating her own canon as a young adult author. She elaborated further, from a more clinical perspective. “The nature of fandom might also make people more prone to certain kinds of reactions. Fans are so used to imagining and debating what fictional characters are thinking and feeling that they may sometimes default to doing the same thing with the people behind the scenes. Psychologically, the way we form relationships with fictional characters tracks very closely with the way we form relationships with real people we don’t actually know, like celebrities, politicians, or social media stars. From this perspective, behavior directed toward real individuals, like a writer, might, in some ways, feel make-believe or harmless, even though it is very real.”

The irony here is that geeks often discover their passions while searching for some form of acceptance. With geek culture exploding into the mainstream over the past decade, it often becomes less about “are you a fan?” and more about “how much of a fan are you?” But fandom—the enjoyment of creativity and art—shouldn’t be placed on some finite metric to be analyzed and judged, as long as it’s being expressed positively.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Thu 09 Feb 2017, 3:02 pm

@motherofpearl1 wrote:I love Finn.
But....I wish they'd stop judging Kylo by Finn and Rey. People react differently to different situations. Rey and Finn had horrible childhoods. But neither of them had a creepy old monster in their heads. Neither of them were mentally ill. I find aspects of Kylo's personality as admirable as theirs. Rey retained her innocence, Finn his sense of right and wrong. Kylo hid his fear. And his humanity is still inside him.Despite Snoke's best efforts to destroy it.
@motherofpearl1

Rey and Finn are hardly realistic portrayals of what characters with their backgrounds would most likely turn out to be. Finn's character in particular doesn't make any sense to me and it's only John's acting that pulls his character through. Rey I find easier to buy, since a neglected orphan with a heart of gold is a pretty common trope (see Harry Potter). Kylo on the other hand feels more like a real person, so yeah comparisons are unfair since the approach to the characters is hardly the same.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nemapasara on Thu 09 Feb 2017, 3:21 pm

@Saracene wrote:
@motherofpearl1

Rey and Finn are hardly realistic portrayals of what characters with their backgrounds would most likely turn out to be. Finn's character in particular doesn't make any sense to me and it's only John's acting that pulls his character through. Rey I find easier to buy, since a neglected orphan with a heart of gold is a pretty common trope (see Harry Potter). Kylo on the other hand feels more like a real person, so yeah comparisons are unfair since the approach to the characters is hardly the same.
@Saracene

Which begs the question: if they were just going to make Kylo a one-dimensional villain who stays bad throughout the trilogy or dies, than why give him the kind of depth they gave him? Why focus on his humanity? The fact that he held on until he was 23 to fully turn and he still feels the light despite it all is remarkable to me. Kylo is fighting an battle with himself and I don't think it's fair to compare him to Rey or Finn, who both dealt with external issues for the most part.
nemapasara
nemapasara
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Thu 09 Feb 2017, 4:58 pm

@Saracene wrote:
@motherofpearl1

@Saracene

Yep, and this is a very typical "hero with the tragic backstory" thing. They tend to be meant to represent the "ideal" of how someone should react to trauma (it somehow makes you better, you don't fall apart, you still act like a stand-up gal/guy), while villains with a sad backstory represent how you "do it wrong". I can see why people find these kinds of ideas harmful, honestly. Now that I think about it, this is such a common thing across media.
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Wed 15 Feb 2017, 11:37 am

Okay, fair warning: this is going to sound really dumb. Laughing

But I've been glancing at Rian's mysterious teaser pic every now and then, as I think that Rian, being a fan of cryptic crosswords, made a puzzle out of it. Not that I'm any closer to cracking any of it. But I started thinking about the numbers on the postal label, so I figured... 228 + 7 (July) + 2013 = 2248.

And so I thought, how about 2248... hours? 2248 hours onward would be either 22nd or 23rd February, depending on the time of day he posted that Instagram pic, I suppose.

On its own, that's just a silly guess, but then I thought - wasn't there a rumour a while back about a teaser on the 23rd? Does anyone remember?
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey on Wed 15 Feb 2017, 11:53 am

@Darth Dingbat I remember something about the company who worked on music for SW trailers having a countdown on their website that would finish on 23rd february. Intriguing...won't get my hopes up though!
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Wed 15 Feb 2017, 12:14 pm

@BastilaBey wrote:@Darth Dingbat I remember something about the company who worked on music for SW trailers having a countdown on their website that would finish on 23rd february. Intriguing...won't get my hopes up though!
@BastilaBey

Thanks! Definitely no point in getting one's hopes up.

Except for me. I've got my hopes up for a teaser every single morning. Laughing
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 15 Feb 2017, 1:08 pm

It only took them a year (and waiting for it to come from official sources) longer than this crowd, but actual sane Reddit discussion about what the relationship is supposed to be in the ST. Oh and also a tiny shout-out to @nonesuch and @BastilaBey's podcasting on there. Kind of shocked to see people on the Internet actually making the tiniest bit of sense, maybe there's hope for a sane discussion about other more pressing topics versus fantasies and conspiracy theories. Though I think it's been said here, that's some  (standard) bullshit that something brought up and discussed by women gets dismissed out of hand as being silly and mocked. Only to later be appropriated as having been thought up by male fans.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Hasi on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 5:02 pm

@Darth_Awakened wrote:
@Helix wrote:I'd much rather see the OT3 develop as real characters than to see them be these perfect, untouchable Gods among men. I think they will and old fans will have to accept that things and people change. They'll always have the OT, anyways.

There's a subset of SW fans ready to burn this thing if it does anything 'wrong.' I see fans complain that the toys aren't being targeted towards them. They feel entitled to SW and the OT3 since they grew up with it and stuck with it for so long.
@Helix

The thing is that they were never perfect. The problem is that fans made them perfect in their own head canons. And without further insight they forgot the fact that the main reason for them to be such great characters was their imperfection and humanity.
They're not perfect cartoonish super heros at all.
@Darth_Awakened

Yes I never saw them as perfect...and that's something that I actually like, because no matter the story, I like the characters to feel real and human, and that obviously means imperfect. I guess I can understand that some people that grew up with the ot and SW feels betrayed, but still...imo to show Leia, Han and Luke as perfect heroes after 30 years wouldn't had been as compelling as the story we have in Tfa. That goes for Ben/Kylo, too - I wouldn't find something like "the son of the heroes is a hero himself and fights against the bad people, like he's expected to do" compelling or interesting, especially compared to Kylo's actual story in tfa.
Hasi
Hasi
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 5:13 pm

@snufkin wrote:It only took them a year (and waiting for it to come from official sources) longer than this crowd, but actual sane Reddit discussion about what the relationship is supposed to be in the ST. Oh and also a tiny shout-out to @nonesuch and @BastilaBey's podcasting on there. Kind of shocked to see people on the Internet actually making the tiniest bit of sense, maybe there's hope for a sane discussion about other more pressing topics versus fantasies and conspiracy theories. Though I think it's been said here, that's some  (standard) bullshit that something brought up and discussed by women gets dismissed out of hand as being silly and mocked. Only to later be appropriated as having been thought up by male fans.
@snufkin

Before I joined this forum I tried to engage in discussions about Rey and Kylo on reddit and some other boards and I was shocked by the aggressive attitude of some fans towards this relationship. It's sad, really, because the Reylo fandom creates amazing content -- from artwork to metas -- and we are the ones reading the movies correctly so far.
Piper Maru
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 6:35 pm

@Piper Maru wrote:
@snufkin wrote:It only took them a year (and waiting for it to come from official sources) longer than this crowd, but actual sane Reddit discussion about what the relationship is supposed to be in the ST. Oh and also a tiny shout-out to @nonesuch and @BastilaBey's podcasting on there. Kind of shocked to see people on the Internet actually making the tiniest bit of sense, maybe there's hope for a sane discussion about other more pressing topics versus fantasies and conspiracy theories. Though I think it's been said here, that's some  (standard) bullshit that something brought up and discussed by women gets dismissed out of hand as being silly and mocked. Only to later be appropriated as having been thought up by male fans.
@snufkin

Before I joined this forum I tried to engage in discussions about Rey and Kylo on reddit and some other boards and I was shocked by the aggressive attitude of some fans towards this relationship. It's sad, really, because the Reylo fandom creates amazing content -- from artwork to metas -- and we are the ones reading the movies correctly so far.

@Piper Maru

I just was curious after seeing a silly movie and wanted to check if my suspicions were correct. The aggressiveness from more traditional fan outlets on the Internet is really out of proportion. I suspect that for a lot of us, that kind of response (especially when it's been framed as "silly girls") is why we dug in our heels and refused to leave. Not that it's unprecedented if you look at what happened with the all female Ghostbusters. That's part of what I think fuels the traditionalist desire to see Rey as being Luke's kid or being exactly like the old school Jedi. They're okay with her becoming part of the traditional boy's club, which is the same message from the response to this school of thought about how the interpret the ST and the likely eventual relationship between these two characters.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Airemyn on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 11:48 am

@snufkin wrote:
@Piper Maru wrote:
@snufkin

@Piper Maru

I just was curious after seeing a silly movie and wanted to check if my suspicions were correct. The aggressiveness from more traditional fan outlets on the Internet is really out of proportion. I suspect that for a lot of us, that kind of response (especially when it's been framed as "silly girls") is why we dug in our heels and refused to leave. Not that it's unprecedented if you look at what happened with the all female Ghostbusters. That's part of what I think fuels the traditionalist desire to see Rey as being Luke's kid or being exactly like the old school Jedi. They're okay with her becoming part of the traditional boy's club, which is the same message from the response to this school of thought about how the interpret the ST and the likely eventual relationship between these two characters.
@snufkin

I totally see your point and agree with you for the most part, but as an original Ghostbusters fan I genuinely think that was about people feeling annoyed that they did a (let's face it, crappy) remake and didn't even give it a different title. It was like the original film didn't even exist. It wasn't about the actors being women at all. Why not do something new or at least original?
Airemyn
Airemyn
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 12:01 pm

@Airemyn wrote:
@snufkin wrote:
@Piper Maru wrote:
@snufkin

@Piper Maru

@snufkin

I totally see your point and agree with you for the most part, but as an original Ghostbusters fan I genuinely think that was about people feeling annoyed that they did a (let's face it, crappy) remake and didn't even give it a different title. It was like the original film didn't even exist. It wasn't about the actors being women at all. Why not do something new or at least original?
@Airemyn

This is a little off-topic, so I won't go too far with it ... but there really is a serious problem with remakes in Hollywood right now. I mean I didn't know that I was living in a new Golden Age of Hollywood when I saw Poltergeist, Red Dawn, Ghostbusters, Beaches and Steel Magnolias (and those are just the ones I can remember), but I guess I was. I'm just glad that they haven't tried to remake The Goonies yet.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 12:03 pm

@Airemyn wrote:
@snufkin wrote:
@Piper Maru wrote:
@snufkin

@Piper Maru

@snufkin

@Airemyn

I never cared for the original Ghostbusters, but I had no problem with a remake with an all-female Ghostbusters team. I do think the backslash was really ugly though on some parts of the Internet (Leslie Jones in particular got a lot of crap thrown towards her way) and it was absolutely unacceptable.

This said, I thought the movie's jokes were pretty much hit and miss, the Ghostbusters team characters were likable (even if I have a few issues with their representation and everything...), but the movie was also trying way too hard to show how Feminist(TM) it was by having every single male character being an antagonist (except for Kevin (Chris Hemsworth's character), who's an idiot to the point it isn't even funny anymore) to the point it was cringeworthy more than anything else. And sure, you can give me cases where female characters get a similar treatment, but frankly, if you want to have a good movie, giving the reverse treatment is never a good solution and I fail to see how it's "progressive".

So honestly, people pushing it forward as a Good Feminist Movie(TM) while refusing to acknowledge it's flawed and calling everyone who disagrees sexist makes me roll my eyes. People act as if it's the only one out there while there are others: Hidden Figures (but obviously those websites who were talking about how awesome and progressive Ghostbusters was didn't say a word about Hidden Figures, rofl), the upcoming Lara Croft and Wonder Woman movies, the Hunger Games, the Divergent series, Alien, Kill Bill, Mad Max Fury Road and TV series have Jessica Jones, Supergirl, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and do on and so forth. And of course, there's the ST and Rogue One...

Last edited by Irina de France on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Irina de France
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 12:03 pm

@SoloSideCousin I agree. I mean, I wish Hollywood would quit the reboots and do something completely new - and hey, make it quality content, and make it female-driven. Wink
Irina de France
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 12:12 pm

@Solosidecousin
OMFG, they better stay the heck away from The Goonies (and Casper just for good measure). I like my 80's/90's children's adventure served with a healthy dollop of loveable camp.

The "can I keep you" gives me chills to this day... oops.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 2:26 pm

Was there an element of ugly sexism in the Ghostbusters backlash? Yes.

Did the studio/media grab it with both hands and inflate it to the nth degree, in order to sell their mediocre movie and create some sort of important cultural event out of it? Yes.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 4:24 pm

@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@Airemyn wrote:
@snufkin wrote:
@Piper Maru wrote:
@snufkin

@Piper Maru

@snufkin

@Airemyn

This is a little off-topic, so I won't go too far with it ... but there really is a serious problem with remakes in Hollywood right now. I mean I didn't know that I was living in a new Golden Age of Hollywood when I saw Poltergeist, Red Dawn, Ghostbusters, Beaches and Steel Magnolias (and those are just the ones I can remember), but I guess I was. I'm just glad that they haven't tried to remake The Goonies yet.
@SoloSideCousin

@Airemyn .... As a fan of the original ghost busters, even I disliked how the new movie...and it had nothing to do with the all female team...and @SoloSideCousin is so right- there is this plethora of remakes...and I find one worse than the next.....I don't get this need to reinvent something that was a masterpiece just because you feel the cast needs better representation.....if they want to show diversity, tell new stories....I think these horrible rehashes are akin to vandalism. I still remember the horrible remake of Flight of the Phoenix a few years back....and most recently, the Magnificent Seven....shudder.... Evil or Very Mad

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 5:23 pm

Believe me, nobody was happier when the reported remakes of both the Thin Man and Buckaroo Banzai both died on the vine. And I haven't even seen the new Ghostbusters remake. I will grant you that remakes are a problem (and we're here because of a new round of sequels to a 40 year old film franchise). But "Hollywood has a remake problem" was used as a pretext for a lot of really ugly attacks and sexism. Same way you saw Gamergate use an angry ex-boyfriend's issues with his ex to dox said woman and others like Felicia Day. With the pretext that it had nothing to do with misogyny, but "ethics in games journalism." Specifically for Ghostbusters on the one WoC in the franchise, Leslie Jones. Who got harassed with a lot of really ugly racist s***. So yeah, the remakes part of the business is a problem and a system of a risk adverse industry. But that's two seperate things and that issue gets used as a pretext to go after women. It is possible to deplore that industry trend while also recognizing that there are people who will use that as a pretext show off their prejudices. That was my point. And typically it's the same crowd who've cried foul over TFA and R1 for having women and PoC as the heroic leads.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 7:39 pm

Which one of you have that Rian Johnson quote about loving pathetic villains? I want to use it as cover pic for my Facebook page just to pi** haters off
Maria Antonietta
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 8:01 pm

With Toy Fair starting, I'm here stewing with the knowledge the toy and collectible companies like Hasbro have already seen all the new character designs and looks. Jealous.
Helix
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum