ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 8

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 8 - Page 5 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 8

Post by Slade on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 9:52 pm

@snufkin wrote:
@Slade wrote:
@snufkin

He didn't just sneak her into the base; he snuck her into his ROOM!  (When Hux brings Kylo to Snoke, Kylo is SO grounded!)
@Slade

Poor kid, busted by Hux, in trouble with Snoke, and she blew off all his attempts to impress her. But he still gets all wistful for a second when Hux mentions her.

ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 8 - Page 5 Tumblr_o4pnrhX2kb1v42jzoo2_250
@snufkin

Poor baby!  That dejected expression just kills me!  He and Hux really are like two competitive, squabbling brothers.
Slade
Slade
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 8 - Page 5 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 8

Post by BastilaBey on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 10:29 pm

@snufkin wrote:I'd mentioned awhile back that while I've seen and enjoyed the 1946 Jean Cocteau version of Beauty and the Beast, tbh the Disney version sets my teeth on edge. Absolutely loathe it. But I just re-watched the Cocteau version and it's as trippy and erotic as I remember it to be

The magic is sexual throughout—a fantastic, but not in the least morbid or phantasmal, sex magic. What could be more direct and free of coyness than the image of the Beast drinking water from Belle’s hands, although it is so chaste that no censor could have ever assailed it? It is matched by the tactile immediacy of the moment when the grieving Beast presses his furry face against the fur coverlet of Belle’s empty bed. The irresistible effect of everything that happens after Belle enters the castle is tied to the pair’s aura of forbidden intimacy: her slow-motion advance into the Beast’s great hall, as she moves past the billowing white curtains and Auric’s music bursts out in choral ululations; her passage through the talking door, into the privacies of mirror and bed; the night wanderings in which she spies on the Beast in the aftermath of his nocturnal slaughters, while he stares in horror at his smoking hands.

The extraordinarily beautiful shot in which we see the Beast from behind, his head haloed in light, as he ascends the stairs with Belle in his arms, while on the other side of the screen, light streams through dungeonlike grillwork, conjures with gothic intensity the imminence of a sexual fantasy fulfilled, in a setting made for such fulfillment—a bedroom hidden within a castle hidden within a forest—and with Beauty delivered defenseless into the embrace of a Beast manifestly able to sweep away all resistance. The erotic force of the episode that follows is outdone only by the even greater emotional force of the restraint that stops him in his tracks and sends him rushing out of the room, saying, “You mustn’t look into my eyes.”

(Where can I buy some of these candelabra arms?)

@snufkin

Thank you for this post! It made me watch the movie today and predictably, I absolutely adored it. I didn't go in intending to make notes but I started noticing so many similarities to Rey and Kylo's dynamic that I thought I'd share.

- She is clearly positioned as a peasant, he is royalty
- She is terrified when she first sees him
- He intends to kill her father
- He carries her bridal-style back to his home
- He watches her after she has fainted
- Tells her “Don’t be afraid”
- Assures her she is his guest, even though she feels like a prisoner
- Throws a tantrum when he returns to her room and she has escaped to wander around the house
- Begs her to stay with him and not return to her old life
- She calls him an ‘animal’ and a ‘monster’
- He is jealous when he learns of her male suitor, even though she does not have romantic feelings towards said man
- She sees him bleeding, gives a look of concern followed by strong disgust
- She leaves his home to tend to a loved one at their bedside
- She looks back at him before she leaves
- Her male loved ones ask her if he hurt her but she evades the question
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 10:47 pm

@BastilaBey wrote:
@snufkin

Thank you for this post! It made me watch the movie today and predictably, I absolutely adored it. I didn't go in intending to make notes but I started noticing so many similarities to Rey and Kylo's dynamic that I thought I'd share.

- Throws a tantrum when he returns to her room and she has escaped to wander around the house
- He is jealous when he learns of her male suitor, even though she does not have romantic feelings towards said man
@BastilaBey

I'm glad you liked it! Saw it with a friend who had to write a paper on it for a class and was just totally enthralled by it (did I mention again the candelabra arms??). I like it so much better than the Disney version, especially because it stays true to the darker nature of fairy tales. Like the famous story goes, Greta Garbo yelled "Give me back my Beast!" at the screen when he was transformed into a much safer/blander prince.  And Cocteau meant for the viewer to be let down on the Beast's transformation. Interesting in the bolded considering some of the debate from some quarters about how Rey is "supposed" to behave and who she should want. Kind of hope anything to do with redemption results in a character who might be on the side of the angels, but who is most definitely not an angel himself.

My story would concern itself mainly with the unconscious obstinacy with which women pursue the same type of man, and expose the naivete of the old fairy tales that would have us believe that this type reaches its ideal in conventional good looks. My aim would be to make the Beast so human, so sympathetic, so superior to men, that his transformation into Prince Charming would come as a terrible blow to Beauty, condemning her to a humdrum marriage and a future that I summed up in that last sentence of all fairy tales: ‘And they had many children.’
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 10:51 pm

@snufkin That was key, yes, the idea that Beauty herself is transformed and doesn't necessarily want the Prince Charming, since she loves Beast for who he is. I can see that factoring into Kylo's redemption as she meets him in the grey.

The candelabra arms freaked me out! As did the one pouring her poor old man's wine. I'd need a drink after that too, though!
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 11:11 pm

@BastilaBey wrote:@snufkin That was key, yes, the idea that Beauty herself is transformed and doesn't necessarily want the Prince Charming, since she loves Beast for who he is. I can see that factoring into Kylo's redemption as she meets him in the grey.

The candelabra arms freaked me out! As did the one pouring her poor old man's wine. I'd need a drink after that too, though!
@BastilaBey

It'd be pretty great if they had something like Belle's line at the end where she tells him, "I don't mind being frightened with you."
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 1:44 am

@snufkin wrote:
@Slade wrote:
@snufkin

He didn't just sneak her into the base; he snuck her into his ROOM!  (When Hux brings Kylo to Snoke, Kylo is SO grounded!)
@Slade

Poor kid, busted by Hux, in trouble with Snoke, and she blew off all his attempts to impress her. But he still gets all wistful for a second when Hux mentions her.

ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 8 - Page 5 Tumblr_o4pnrhX2kb1v42jzoo2_250
@snufkin

I love that wistful moment so much! :-)
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZenBrainJam on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 2:05 am

@BastilaBey wrote:
@snufkin wrote:I'd mentioned awhile back that while I've seen and enjoyed the 1946 Jean Cocteau version of Beauty and the Beast, tbh the Disney version sets my teeth on edge. Absolutely loathe it. But I just re-watched the Cocteau version and it's as trippy and erotic as I remember it to be

The magic is sexual throughout—a fantastic, but not in the least morbid or phantasmal, sex magic. What could be more direct and free of coyness than the image of the Beast drinking water from Belle’s hands, although it is so chaste that no censor could have ever assailed it? It is matched by the tactile immediacy of the moment when the grieving Beast presses his furry face against the fur coverlet of Belle’s empty bed. The irresistible effect of everything that happens after Belle enters the castle is tied to the pair’s aura of forbidden intimacy: her slow-motion advance into the Beast’s great hall, as she moves past the billowing white curtains and Auric’s music bursts out in choral ululations; her passage through the talking door, into the privacies of mirror and bed; the night wanderings in which she spies on the Beast in the aftermath of his nocturnal slaughters, while he stares in horror at his smoking hands.

The extraordinarily beautiful shot in which we see the Beast from behind, his head haloed in light, as he ascends the stairs with Belle in his arms, while on the other side of the screen, light streams through dungeonlike grillwork, conjures with gothic intensity the imminence of a sexual fantasy fulfilled, in a setting made for such fulfillment—a bedroom hidden within a castle hidden within a forest—and with Beauty delivered defenseless into the embrace of a Beast manifestly able to sweep away all resistance. The erotic force of the episode that follows is outdone only by the even greater emotional force of the restraint that stops him in his tracks and sends him rushing out of the room, saying, “You mustn’t look into my eyes.”

@snufkin

@BastilaBey

OMG, tfa is a knock off!
ZenBrainJam
ZenBrainJam
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 5:07 am

@ZenBrainJam wrote:
@BastilaBey wrote:

@snufkin

@BastilaBey

OMG, tfa is a knock off!
@ZenBrainJam

Lol @the bolded lol!
Maria Antonietta
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 5:27 am

@Maria Antonietta wrote:
@ZenBrainJam wrote:
@BastilaBey wrote:

@snufkin

@BastilaBey

OMG, tfa is a knock off!
@ZenBrainJam

Lol @the bolded lol!
@Maria Antonietta

Wow, at first I didn't realize that you talk about TBATB, thought it's about TFA and started wondering when Kylo tried to kill Rey's father  lol!
EchoBase
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 8:11 am

Oh my god, I've been watching the Jean Cocteau version ever since I'm a kid. I think I need to watch it again to see the Reylo similarities.
Irina de France
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 10:37 am

@snufkin

I love that wistful moment so much! :-)[/quote]

@SoloSideCousin - somebody else on here mentioned that for a split second, you can see the sort of sweet, naive kid he probably was and wonder what the Hell happened that was horrible enough to put him on that path. Also that thank God Rey had the presence of mind to use the 'ol Jedi Mind Trick because "bring her to me" = either Snoke's gonna kill her or make him kill her.

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 11:20 am

@Irina de France wrote:Oh my god, I've been watching the Jean Cocteau version ever since I'm a kid. I think I need to watch it again to see the Reylo similarities.
@Irina de France

I didn't see the Cocteau version until I was a young adult, but the whole Disney version just doesn't do it for me in comparison. Both characters are played way too safe. Give me something a little more dangerous and destructive, which is how fairy tales (or even great updates like L. Frank Baum's original Oz books) were meant to be.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 11:26 am

This is quiet interesting. TFA is now available in ITunes with an audio-description for blind people:

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/star-wars-the-force-awakens-audio-for-the-blind?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=thrillisted

I am really curious how they describe the interrogation scene. Wink.

Edit: the way Han's killing is described:

"Han gazes despairingly at his son as he thrusts it deeper. He wrenches the lightsaber free in a shower of sparks. Trembling weakly, Han lovingly strokes his son's emotionless face. The ravish smuggler and hero of the Rebellion reels backward and plummets off the catwalk into the cloudy abyss. Kylo Ren stands by in silhouette with his red glowing blade. Keeping his emotions in check, the fallen Jedi lifts his dewy eyes."

So, @all native speakers. What is meant with "dewy eyes"? As far as I can remember it means "innocent" or "naive"

Last edited by EchoBase on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
EchoBase
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 11:29 am

@snufkin wrote:
@snufkin

@SoloSideCousin - somebody else on here mentioned that for a split second, you can see the sort of sweet, naive kid he probably was and wonder what the Hell happened that was horrible enough to put him on that path. Also that thank God Rey had the presence of mind to use the 'ol Jedi Mind Trick because "bring her to me" = either Snoke's gonna kill her or make him kill her.

[/quote]
@snufkin

That's the exact expression of a kid caught with both hands in a Nutella jar
Maria Antonietta
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 12:15 pm

@Maria Antonietta wrote:
@snufkin

That's the exact expression of a kid caught with both hands in a Nutella jar
@Maria Antonietta

Oh he wasn't going for the Nutella, he was going for the Honey Pot *winkwink*

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Slade on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 12:33 pm

@snufkin wrote:
@snufkin

[/quote]
@snufkin

Yes.  Driver is brilliant!
Slade
Slade
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Xylo Ren on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 12:44 pm

@BastilaBey wrote:

@snufkin

Waitwhat.
ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 8 - Page 5 CHZfvp3
Xylo Ren
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 12:48 pm

@echobase Dewy eyes means he has tears in his eyes. Driving home the fact that he doesn't want to kill his father but for whatever reason, believes he needs to. Reminds me of this tweet from Pablo.

ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 8 - Page 5 Tumblr10

ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 8 - Page 5 Tumblr_o4nhs48pGe1rszoo3o3_540

Last edited by BastilaBey on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Kessel on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 12:52 pm

@Force22 wrote:
@EchoBase wrote:This is quiet interesting. TFA is now available in ITunes with an audio-description for blind people:

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/star-wars-the-force-awakens-audio-for-the-blind?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=thrillisted

I am really curious how they describe the interrogation scene. Wink.

Edit: the way Han's killing is described:

"Han gazes despairingly at his son as he thrusts it deeper. He wrenches the lightsaber free in a shower of sparks. Trembling weakly, Han lovingly strokes his son's emotionless face. The ravish smuggler and hero of the Rebellion reels backward and plummets off the catwalk into the cloudy abyss. Kylo Ren stands by in silhouette with his red glowing blade. Keeping his emotions in check, the fallen Jedi lifts his dewy eyes."

So, @all native speakers. What is meant with "dewy eyes"? As far as I can remember it means "innocent" or "naive"
@EchoBase

Dewy is moist, or wet. It goes with the movie, in fact, Kylo has "dewy" eyes most of the time.
@Force22

Dewy is an excellent way to describe Kylo's eyes. They were constantly moist, as if he was on the verge of tears.

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 12:54 pm

@BastilaBey @Force22: thank you! I think I've mixed it up with "dewy-eyed".
EchoBase
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 12:56 pm

@echobase Oh, do you mean doe-eyed? I'd say that's more Rey, than Ren Wink

Here is the moment with the text from the novelization, for reference.

ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 8 - Page 5 Tumblr_o4gx3w2njS1rb71hfo2_500

ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 8 - Page 5 Tumblr_o4gx3w2njS1rb71hfo1_500
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 1:06 pm

@BastilaBey: Wink

No, I've just misunderstood the meaning in this case.

@Force22: that's what I meant. But yeah, here, it makes more sense that his eyes were teary.
EchoBase
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum