Rey and the island

Go down

Rey and the island  Empty Rey and the island

Post by Gemini on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 2:48 pm

So I've noticed this. Just as chewie and Rey are approaching the island Rey reacts like she has approached it this way before. It's like she remembers it. Chewie then looks quizzically at her when she does this then looks at the island.

We know she thinks of it to get to sleep, however does she visualise it because she imagines it somehow or has she actually been there as a child and that's why she remembers?

It fascinates me because if she imagined it then it's very suggestive of who she might be but if she has been there before, who would have taken her there and why?

Again it makes me think of something very interesting if you look at the map to Luke skywalker and then the tattoo on obi wans head in some concept art from the phantom menace, it's the same shape:

Rey and the island  Tumblr_inline_o7510v4qcE1u4orvh_400

Rey and the island  Tumblr_inline_o75143qHO71u4orvh_500

I'd love to hear other people's theories about how she might know the island or why she imagined it?

Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Rey and the island  Empty Re: Rey and the island

Post by snufkin on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 3:07 pm

The way that moment is shot is so great because it doesn't directly show you the audience member that she's shocked into Deja Vu, but that she reacts in such a way that Chewie notices and turns to look at her. So her actual moment of recognition is shown through his POV. It kind of brings home the point that both Luke and the map weren't the actual key to the story, it's her.

Wild guess, maybe it's a place her parents had been and she somehow has the memory of it because of stories they told her when she was young. Either that or like Maz's line about the legacy saber calling to her as part of her destiny, the island (along with BB-8 and MF) was also calling to her via the Force.

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 3:26 pm

Again just watching it now, why must it be Rey who goes to bring Luke home, everyone cheering at her, leia not going. Why is it Rey. The island, her connection, needing to being Luke back. It must be her who does it.
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 3:43 pm

I don't really know if we're going to get an explanation for Rey knowing about the island beyond "it was her destiny". I do, however, believe she was dreaming about it before Luke was even there. Her connection is with the island and potentially the ancient Jedi who once lived there, not Luke. Obviously that KY10REY leak was fake, but I've been saying for a long time that we'll be getting into more Jedi mythology in this trilogy. I think they came up with the scenario based on foreshadowing that does exist in TFA, it just won't lead us to that outcome. We are very likely getting an origin story of some kind, and maybe it will have something to do with Rey.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 3:52 pm

@Gemini wrote:Again just watching it now, why must it be Rey who goes to bring Luke home, everyone cheering at her, leia not going. Why is it Rey. The island, her connection, needing to being Luke back. It must be her who does it.
@Gemini

That's another interesting shot, because it shows the crowd who's there to see her off and while Leia's at the center, you see Poe off to the side as one of the people seeing her off and looking serious. And he was the person initially entrusted with the mission to get the map and find Luke. Although it's a nice subversion of his character type that he's most likely now in the role of caring for Finn and being his mentor/guide into the Resistance and setting Finn on his Hero's Journey.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 3:58 pm

@snufkin wrote:
@Gemini wrote:Again just watching it now, why must it be Rey who goes to bring Luke home, everyone cheering at her, leia not going. Why is it Rey. The island, her connection, needing to being Luke back. It must be her who does it.
@Gemini

That's another interesting shot, because it shows the crowd who's there to see her off and while Leia's at the center, you see Poe off to the side as one of the people seeing her off and looking serious. And he was the person initially entrusted with the mission to get the map and find Luke. Although it's a nice subversion of his character type that he's most likely now in the role of caring for Finn and being his mentor/guide into the Resistance and setting Finn on his Hero's Journey.
@snufkin

Can I say that I love this whole thread?  I never realized this before - just when you think we've analyzed everything there is about this film, more pops up.

And then there's the scene in the end with Leia hugging Rey.  Back in December before Daisy debunked it, people were speculating Rey was Leia's daughter because of the double stone ring she was wearing when she hugged her at the end. Woman have been known to wear jewelry with each stone representing a child. Watching that scene again, it is pretty in your face.  

I wonder if that was just more of JJ's red herring mystery box or if it symbolizes she will indeed have a future daughter in-law through marriage?
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 4:02 pm

@IoJovi wrote:
@snufkin wrote:
@Gemini

@snufkin

Can I say that I love this whole thread?  I never realized this before - just when you think we've analyzed everything there is about this film, more pops up.

And then there's the scene in the end with Leia hugging Rey.  Back in December before Daisy debunked it, people were speculating Rey was Leia's daughter because of the double stone ring she was wearing when she hugged her at the end.  Woman have been known to wear jewelry with each stone representing a child. Watching that scene again, it is pretty in your face.  

I wonder if that was just more of JJ's red herring mystery box or if it symbolizes she will indeed have a future daughter in-law through marriage?
@IoJovi

I think that's what the hug was about and if you think the kenobi theory may be true then that explains the hug also. "Help me obi wan kenobi you're my only hope" I feel like leia knows Rey is the only hope to bring her brother and son home. That's why she sends Rey, she just knows it must be her who does it.
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 4:08 pm

@Gemini wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@snufkin wrote:
@Gemini

@snufkin

And then there's the scene in the end with Leia hugging Rey.  Back in December before Daisy debunked it, people were speculating Rey was Leia's daughter because of the double stone ring she was wearing when she hugged her at the end.  Woman have been known to wear jewelry with each stone representing a child. Watching that scene again, it is pretty in your face.  

@IoJovi

I think that's what the hug was about and if you think the kenobi theory may be true then that explains the hug also. "Help me obi wan kenobi you're my only hope" I feel like leia knows Rey is the only hope to bring her brother and son home. That's why she sends Rey, she just knows it must be her who does it.
@Gemini

It really makes me wonder at all of the movie reviews that were like "it's a safe rehash, end of story." Although as with a lot of journalism, we no longer live in an age of serious film critics who'd do some analysis.

I figured the hug was that they were the only FS people around (in your face fanboys that it's two women instead of old boy's Jedi club) and could sense that off of each other - plus the tragedy that just happened. Rey has to know by then that Leia is Han's wife and Ben's mother - being a kind person (maybe also a little guilty goes to comfort her and be comforted in return.  I did see some of those "two stones means Rey's her daughter" conjecture. Which is a great example of some of the most silly theories people have come up with to make Rey Skywalker progeny. Leia's ring may just be a ring, end of story. Or if the two stones hold any symbolic meaning, it might be for her husband and her son.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 4:22 pm

@snufkin wrote:
@Gemini wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@snufkin wrote:
@Gemini

@snufkin

@IoJovi

@Gemini

It really makes me wonder at all of the movie reviews that were like "it's a safe rehash, end of story." Although as with a lot of journalism, we no longer live in an age of serious film critics who'd do some analysis or pick up on these details.

I figured the hug was both that they were the only FS people around (and hey, in your face fanboys that it's two women instead of old boy's Jedi club) and could sense that, plus the tragedy that just happened, off of each other. Plus Rey knows who Leia is by now and she's a kind person, comforting her and being comforted in return. I did see some of those "two stones means Rey's her daughter" conjecture and that just seems silly for a lot of reasons. Can't the two stones be for Ben and Han, whom Leia is basically holding Rey and likely crying (man, poor Leia) because she's lost them both
@snufkin

I too thought it would be easy draw the conclusion those stones were meant to represent Han and Ben. She's hugging Rey because she has lost them both.

Of course, the Internet went wild stating it meant Leia had to be her mother.

Then there's Daisy saying, "Did you watch the movie? Because clearly, I wasn't!!!"

Yes Daisy I did watch the movie, and CLEARLY you aren't Ben's sister!!! Laughing

I too am in the Kenobi parentage camp - Leia sends her to Luke, as she truly is the only hope for the Skywalkers.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 4:52 pm

@IoJovi - this is where people go off the deep end with the Mystery Box and Ring Theory. Her parentage is a mystery for a good reason, but the reason isn't that she's Leia or Luke's offspring. If she was, they'd have stated that up front instead of getting into Oedipus territory with Ren being googly-eyed towards a woman who's actually his sister or cousin.

I tend to think that she and her likely-murdered-trying-to-protect-her parents are related to Obi-Wan. And that her parents' deaths are at Snoke's hand. He's also got a very nasty and personal grudge against Leia in taking Ben and ordering him to kill Han in turn.  Besides, as others have said, if you're going to conjecture about who's her actual father, why not go with the rumored Tom Hardy cameo appearance? He'd be great. But in terms of the island, possible explanation is that she'd been there with her parents when she was very young and has a vague memory of happier times. Or that her parents had gone there and told her about it as a bedtime story, which she thinks about when she has insomnia.

Also considering the # of deliberate shout outs and use of discarded production design details from the previous movies, the whole pattern of the markings on young Obi-Wan's drawing with the map pattern can't be a coincidence. Anybody nerdy enough to want to plot out the exact X/Y access pattern to see how they line up ; )?
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Slade on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 7:49 pm

And it isn't just the island.  Kylo says he sees the ocean in her mind as well.  When has Rey ever seen an ocean prior to going to Ach To?  Could she have had a precognitive dream of the ocean and island at some point?
Slade
Slade
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini on Mon 20 Jun 2016, 3:35 am

@Slade wrote:And it isn't just the island.  Kylo says he sees the ocean in her mind as well.  When has Rey ever seen an ocean prior to going to Ach To?  Could she have had a precognitive dream of the ocean and island at some point?

Also him seeing this is foreshadowing of the importance of the ocean, the island and these two in the next film. Something pivotal will happen methinks
@Slade

Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum