ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors - 10

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors - 10 - Page 38 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors - 10

Post by spacebaby45678 on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 5:08 pm

@Gemini wrote:So can I just ask,

He's a former freelancer, now he seems to have been trusted with star wars stuff in particular. Lego Star Wars, rebels etc

Lucas film has just let this dude write false facts? False observations of the movie? Then stamped their trademark on it?

He needs to verify what he's writing is factual with officials. Ohetwise it wouldn't be released under the lucasfilm trademark

@Gemini

No it is official, very official, there is some really good info in the book, especially the powers pages, totally force bond/reylo related
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors - 10 - Page 38 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors - 10

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 5:09 pm

@Geralt_Riv wrote:
@BastilaBey wrote:@gemini Nonesuch has said she plans on asking pablo once the book is officially released in the UK - she found it earlier than it should have been on shelves. We'll have the answers then. I am intrigued by the statement that Rey destroyed his saber, because i've never seen that anywhere else and it seems odd considering MSW have said he'll have the same one on ahch-to.
@BastilaBey
It's in the movie. It doesn't seem odd. He could repair that one.
@Geralt_Riv
She definitely didn't destroy the saber. It all happens fast in the movie, but I'm pretty certain she just turned it off/disabled it. Pablo has confirmed this I believe, but I can't really remember anymore. Either way this book doesn't seem that accurate. I'll wait for @Nonesuch to ask Pablo, but quite a few things aren't really lining up. The saber is just one of them.

@Darth Dingbat
Indeed, LF really doesn't seem to care about various "interpretations" of the film written by different authors. That lack of care was not shown to Bloodline or Aftermath, for example. It's just different publications based on TFA that are really questionable.

Last edited by FrolickingFizzgig on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 5:10 pm

@Geralt_Riv wrote:
@BastilaBey wrote:@gemini Nonesuch has said she plans on asking pablo once the book is officially released in the UK - she found it earlier than it should have been on shelves. We'll have the answers then. I am intrigued by the statement that Rey destroyed his saber, because i've never seen that anywhere else and it seems odd considering MSW have said he'll have the same one on ahch-to.
@BastilaBey
@Geralt_Riv

Maybe it's just the choice of wording then. 'Destroyed' sounds beyond repair for me, but yes I know we see her clearly driving it into the snow. It's a confirmation that we didn't already have, that's all. Like also wondering whether he'll have a brand new version of the same helmet, since that would have blown up with SKB.
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 5:11 pm

No matter what I post, people have to go out of their way to just prove it wrong. And run to Twitter and prove it wrong.

It's fine, debate the officialness of an official book.

But I'm not sharing it anymore. I thought it would spark interesting discussion about Vaders mask, force powers, observations of movie but no. All I get is people attempting to discredit anything I have to say or share. I spent 2 hours taking pictures to share here and it's not even kenobi related in here.

It's other stuff. Finn related, Vader related, movie related.

The book is not available in many countries so I shared it. In could have been doing better things with my time tonight damn..

Last edited by Gemini on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 5:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 5:11 pm

@Darth Dingbat wrote:

He's a former freelancer, now he seems to have been trusted with star wars stuff in particular. Lego Star Wars, rebels etc

Lucas film has just let this dude write false facts? False observations of the movie? Then stamped their trademark on it?

He needs to verify what he's writing is factual with officials. Ohetwise it wouldn't be released under the lucasfilm trademark

@Gemini

No, it's the other way round. He used to be editor at Egmont Magazines, which publishes magazines for children. Including SW-related mags, but also many others.

He left that job in January, and currently he appears to be a freelancer writing for various magazines.

I don't claim to know what Lucasfilm approves and doesn't approve, but since I heard that even the official novelisation of TFA wasn't read by anyone at LF (!!!) I haven't put much stock in any supplementary materials. Only canon stories that are told in the format they were intended to be told. But of course everyone is free to do what they like! I'm not telling anyone else to disregard the Visual Dictionaries and what-not.
@Darth Dingbat

I bet most of this book was done before he left in January
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 5:20 pm

@Gemini, we're debating it because we see curious contradictions in a book. Questioning its legitimacy as a canon source has nothing to do with you or the fact that you were the one who posted the pictures. It would have been the same no matter who had provided them. It isn't personal and I don't get why you're taking it that way. It's normal to hash out things like this. I wouldn't even say the Kenobi-related agenda is bothering anybody. It would not be the first time a book was published with inaccuracies/assumptions on the part of the writer.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 5:21 pm

@gemini Well I wasn't going to bring this here, but nonesuch shared the following pages on tumblr earlier that also caused me to doubt how official and approved the book is. Because this quiz seems pretty damn insulting to Finn's character and I will honestly be surprised if pablo approves after him calling Finn the 'bravest character in TFA'.

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors - 10 - Page 38 Tumblr14

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors - 10 - Page 38 Tumblr12

While these obviously aren't 'canon' details, and more a reflection of overall character, it doesn't seem very fair to me - it's basically all about how he doesn't know things. It also seems to indicate that Finn is not force sensitive, and I know there are lots of fans who are still hoping he will be. Finding out from an annual as opposed to in the movies doesn't seem like the best idea.

http://starwarsnonsense.tumblr.com/post/151668346054/i-had-lots-of-people-ask-me-for-this-so-i-present

Last edited by BastilaBey on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 5:21 pm

@spacebaby45678 wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:

@Gemini

No, it's the other way round. He used to be editor at Egmont Magazines, which publishes magazines for children. Including SW-related mags, but also many others.

He left that job in January, and currently he appears to be a freelancer writing for various magazines.

I don't claim to know what Lucasfilm approves and doesn't approve, but since I heard that even the official novelisation of TFA wasn't read by anyone at LF (!!!) I haven't put much stock in any supplementary materials. Only canon stories that are told in the format they were intended to be told. But of course everyone is free to do what they like! I'm not telling anyone else to disregard the Visual Dictionaries and what-not.
@Darth Dingbat

I bet most of this book was done before he left in January
@spacebaby45678

Well, good for him, then. Either way I don't trust his take on the material any more than I trust Alan Dean Foster's - Reylo or no Reylo. But like I said, everyone else is free to do as they like.

@Gemini wrote:No matter what I post, people have to go out of their way to just prove it wrong. And run to Twitter and prove it wrong.

But I'm not sharing it anymore. I thought it would spark interesting discussion about Vaders mask, force powers, observations of movie but no. All I get is people attempting to discredit anything I have to say or share. I spent 2 hours taking pictures to share and it's not even kenobi related in here.
@Gemini

How is this about you??? Seriously? You're very kind to have posted pictures of the book, but you're not the only one to have done so on the internet. Pictures of it were already making the rounds on Tumblr. And of course, you didn't write the book. My skepticism was about the book, its official status, and its author's access to Story Group information - not in any way about you, or written in an effort to discredit (?!) you.

I find this whole argument very odd, but having had a week-long migraine now, I just don't care about any unnecessary drama right now.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 5:21 pm

@Gemini wrote:No matter what I post, people have to go out of their way to just prove it wrong. And run to Twitter and prove it wrong.

But I'm not sharing it anymore. I thought it would spark interesting discussion about Vaders mask, force powers, observations of movie but no. All I get is people attempting to discredit anything I have to say or share. I spent 2 hours taking pictures to share here and it's not even kenobi related in here.

It's other stuff. Finn related, Vader related, movie related.

The book is not available in many countries so I shared it. In could have been doing better things with my time tonight damn..
@Gemini

The Kenobi hints you put in the lineage thread earlier today, I am sorry that people think you where posting Kenobi hints here, those pics where about so much more, good movie stuff, good force stuff
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 5:25 pm

@BastilaBey wrote:@gemini Well I wasn't going to bring this here, but nonesuch shared the following pages on tumblr earlier that also caused me to doubt how official and approved the book is. Because this quiz seems pretty damn insulting to Finn's character and I will honestly be surprised if pablo approves after him calling Finn the 'bravest character in TFA'.

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors - 10 - Page 38 Tumblr14

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors - 10 - Page 38 Tumblr12

While these obviously aren't 'canon' details, and more a reflection of overall character, it doesn't seem very fair to me - it's basically all about how he doesn't know things. It also seems to indicate that Finn is not force sensitive, and I know there are lots of fans who are still hoping he will be. Finding out from an annual as opposed to in the movies doesn't seem like the best idea.

http://starwarsnonsense.tumblr.com/post/151668346054/i-had-lots-of-people-ask-me-for-this-so-i-present
@BastilaBey

The movie is insulting to Finn and all those who showed up expecting to see an African/African American jedi... this book true to form
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Little_Boots on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 5:28 pm

I know in my head what I want to say but I can't find the words to say them articulately so I will just say....It's an Annual and I don't know what the problem is.
Little_Boots
Little_Boots
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 5:37 pm

There is literally nothing more racist and insulting than this pic right here and it came straight fro Pablo, Finn does not have force powers, this is his best quality according to Pabs

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors - 10 - Page 38 Tumblr_o01txiwgTm1rin0wco1_1280
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 5:41 pm

Finn doesn't know how to use the force.

How is the book insulting? It's true.

In the movie he doesn't know how it works, he doesn't use it. "Thats not how the force works"- Han Solo to Finn.

The book says the saber is broken. They may have fact checked before publishing and Lucas film said yes.

So it's up to what you want to think really if the saber is broken or not. Your guess about what happened to the saber or what an official book says.

Last edited by Gemini on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mana on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 5:43 pm

I don't understand how that's racist....
Mana
Mana
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 5:47 pm

@Gemini wrote:Finn doesn't know how to use the force.

How is the book insulting? It's true.

In the movie he doesn't know how it works, he doesn't use it. "Thats not how the force works"- Han Solo to Finn.

The book says the saber is broken. They may have fact checked before publishing and Lucas film said yes.

So it's up to what you want to think really if the saber is broken or not. Your guess about what happened to the saber or what an official book says.
@Gemini

Is hayden in this book as anakin?
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 5:47 pm

@Mana wrote:I don't understand how that's racist....
@Mana

Are you from America? I ask because it matters, not to be rude
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 5:48 pm

@Mana I know you're not from the US but there have been very valid observations about the portrayal of Finn's character and this book does it no favors, either. They cast the part color blind, but it was naive in the extreme for LF to not consider how having their first black lead drink from an animal trough and provide most of the comic relief might look, for example.

Many fans also feel that he was used as a red herring in the marketing to cover the fact that Rey was the FS lead. And while I think they made that decision to conceal the true nature of the hero/villain dynamic being set up here - Rey vs. Kylo obviously presents something very different from Kylo vs. Finn - I can understand how people could feel cheated by that.

Last edited by BastilaBey on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mana on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 5:49 pm

@spacebaby45678 wrote:
@Mana wrote:I don't understand how that's racist....
@Mana

Are you from America? I ask because it matters, not to be rude
@spacebaby45678

no, I'm not from America
Mana
Mana
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 5:56 pm

@spacebaby45678 wrote:There is literally nothing more racist and insulting than this pic right here and it came straight fro Pablo, Finn does not have force powers, this is his best quality according to Pabs

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors - 10 - Page 38 Tumblr_o01txiwgTm1rin0wco1_1280
@spacebaby45678

There's much they did wrong with Finn's characterisation, and the marketing most of all did everyone a disservice - but I fail to see how Finn being the way he is is racist, as the role wasn't written as "black". It was cast colourblind. If Finn isn't FS, he isn't FS, and they didn't turn him into a non-FS just because they cast a black man in the role.

Keep in mind that Finn/Sam was white in the concept art very late in the game. Of course one might argue they shouldn't have cast such a problematic role colourblind in the first place... but I don't know how that would be good either.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Little_Boots on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 5:58 pm

I don't understand how that picture is racist.
Little_Boots
Little_Boots
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 6:01 pm

I can't teach a US history course on race on a forum board, but in America this is a horrible trope, that someones skin which happens to be black makes him a loyal friend, ugh...."devotion" terrible terrible, this notion is a cultural faux pas

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagicalNegro

http://www.indiewire.com/2015/12/hyper-tokenism-the-force-awakens-while-the-black-man-sleeps-162287/
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 6:06 pm

@Little_Boots wrote:I don't understand how that picture is racist.
@Little_Boots

Boots - you're not from the US so won't necessarily have the context. Spacebaby's links are a good place to start if you want to understand more.
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Geralt_Riv on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 6:13 pm

@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
@Geralt_Riv wrote:
@BastilaBey
@Geralt_Riv
She definitely didn't destroy the saber. It all happens fast in the movie, but I'm pretty certain she just turned it off/disabled it. Pablo has confirmed this I believe, but I can't really remember anymore. Either way this book doesn't seem that accurate. I'll wait for @Nonesuch to ask Pablo, but quite a few things aren't really lining up. The saber is just one of them.

@Darth Dingbat
Indeed, LF really doesn't seem to care about various "interpretations" of the film written by different authors. That lack of care was not shown to Bloodline or Aftermath, for example. It's just different publications based on TFA that are really questionable.
@FrolickingFizzgig
Maybe. If Pablo confirmed it then this is probably what happened. I have never seen that tweet. But she used her own lightsaber to do it so Kylo's saber has some damage. This is what I saw. Either way he will have the same lightsaber, repaired or not.

@BastilaBey
Maybe one of the stormtroopers took it or Hux and gave it to Ren after they escaped from Starkiller. Laughing
It's possible that he will have a new helmet (the same design), but I don't think he will have a new one. But I would like to see Kylo in mask in the next movie. I like the design. Kylo's costume is the best one in the movie. Smile
Geralt_Riv
Geralt_Riv
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Little_Boots on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 6:15 pm

@BastilaBey wrote:
@Little_Boots

Boots - you're not from the US so won't necessarily have the context. Spacebaby's links are a good place to start if you want to understand more.
@BastilaBey

Ok I see now, but does that trope that was posted...I dunno.....make their character bad or downgrade them or something?
Little_Boots
Little_Boots
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 6:20 pm

@Little_Boots wrote:
@BastilaBey wrote:
@Little_Boots

@BastilaBey

Ok I see now, but does that trope that was posted...I dunno.....make their character bad or downgrade them or something?
@Little_Boots

Yes, and the red herring, false advertising of Finn was salt on the wound.
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum