ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 6

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 6 - Page 5 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 6

Post by Maria Antonietta on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 1:27 pm

@vaderito wrote:
@Maria Antonietta wrote:There's a guy on Twitter, he's speculating that maybe Rey could be related to Rae Slane (Rae = Rey) and she has connections with Rax, too
@Maria Antonietta

This formidable lady?

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 6 - Page 5 FEBtP2CM

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 6 - Page 5 Tumblr_o45dcq4KAT1qbnosso4_500

That guy clearly didn't pay attention to character's description. 

BTW, Rae Sloane is the best female character in new canon hands down.
@vaderito

It's a nice theory, nonetheless Very Happy
Maria Antonietta
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 6 - Page 5 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 6

Post by IoJovi on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 1:29 pm

Weird.  I read life debt, and had no idea Rae Sloane was dark skinned.  I pictured her as blonde... Laughing

@Vaderito I agree with you too - she's a fantastic character.

Last edited by IoJovi on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 1:30 pm

Well, SW is now full of Rey/Rae/Raeh which is fine by me. It's a huge universe and people are bound to have same names. Ben Kenobi and Ben Organa Skywalker Solo. 

I totally want Rae Sloane movies. Screw Young Han, Young Boba, Rae Sloane is the character who should have a franchise.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 1:39 pm

Here's another fantastic image of her. I'd credit the artist, but I couldn't locate them:

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 6 - Page 5 2a47e510
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 1:44 pm

@vaderito wrote:Well, SW is now full of Rey/Rae/Raeh which is fine by me. It's a huge universe and people are bound to have same names. Ben Kenobi and Ben Organa Skywalker Solo. 

I totally want Rae Sloane movies. Screw Young Han, Young Boba, Rae Sloane is the character who should have a franchise.
@vaderito

Also Ciena Ree, of course...

I imagine we might even see some more Rheis or Raylas or Rheyanas or something before VIII comes out. Razz
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 1:49 pm

@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@vaderito wrote:Well, SW is now full of Rey/Rae/Raeh which is fine by me. It's a huge universe and people are bound to have same names. Ben Kenobi and Ben Organa Skywalker Solo. 

@vaderito

Also Ciena Ree, of course...

I imagine we might even see some more Rheis or Raylas or Rheyanas or something before VIII comes out. Razz
@Darth Dingbat

or Raelo's Rheilos's Reylaw's, etc  Twisted Evil
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 2:05 pm

vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 2:47 pm

@motherofpearl1 wrote:Just watching your gif...
That scene is the one where I started to feel sympathy for Kylo. The look of absolute terror on his face won me over. Behind the mask was a frightened child. Kudos for A.D for paying it so well.
@motherofpearl1

Oh, Adam is brilliant. He masterfully conveys these complex, many-layered emotions that bare the very soul of the character. We can see Kylo in all his naked fear and surprise as he takes in this newfound respect for the girl he'd previously thought was "just a scavenger".

At first, he'd smirked and let his eyes wander all over her body in a way that expresses physical attraction but not respect. He wasn't concerned about whether or not it made her uncomfortable; it was almost as though he considered her to be "his" to do whatever he wished to.

Then she fights back in an unexpected way and sees his deepest, darkest fear. He's shocked and horrified, and making direct eye contact with her, finally seeing that she isn't beneath him, she can't be controlled like the others, and they are closer to being equals than he'd ever imagined.

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 2:54 pm

Is the latest rebel gurrl podcast good? Anything interesting?

Birdwoman
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 3:36 pm

@IoJovi Wow! That's amazing! She looks like an actress called Thalissa Teixeira in that artwork.

Spoiler:
ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 6 - Page 5 829b20de088eb560f82a65c7b89d9340

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 9:21 pm

@Birdwoman wrote:Is the latest rebel gurrl podcast good? Anything interesting?
@Birdwoman

Nothing spoilerific. They mentioned MSW spoiler but nothing beyond what's reported. I guess that Jason may expand on it on Monday.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 5:00 am

@FrolickingFizzgig

I agree with many things said

Only thing we have to disagree on is our own individual analysis of the structure of TFA and how it does or doesn't show kenobi.

Even if she's not his grand daughter. I agree that she may be a distant relation somewhere. Or even if not blood related, Then there's  some possible odd connection to the kenobis. Just something there which oddly connects.

I watched the vision again and the choices used to introduce obi wan calling out. Alec Guinness voice is so out of place with the tone of rest of the vision. It emerges right after she sees her abandonment and past and he almost sounds like he's hoping she'll answer when he says "Rey?" It sounds like a call as in "are you there?" with an upwards tone at the end (the way jj would have begged him to say it?)..and is not past or future, it's most certainly present imo.........Oh my god I just realised something
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 5:10 am

@Gemini wrote:@FrolickingFizzgig

Only thing we have to disagree on is our own individual analysis of the structure of TFA and how it does or doesn't show kenobi.

Even if she's not his grand daughter. I agree that she may be a distant relation somewhere. Or even if not blood related, Then there's  some possible odd connection to the kenobis. Just something there which oddly connects.

I watched the vision again and the choices used to introduce obi wan calling out. Alec Guinness voice is so out of place with the tone of rest of the vision. It emerges right after she sees her abandonment and past and he almost sounds like he's hoping she'll answer when he says "Rey?" It sounds like a call as in "are you there?" with an upwards tone at the end (the way jj would have begged him to say it?)..and is not past or future, it's most certainly present imo.........Oh my god I just realised something
@Gemini

I thought Alec Guinnes' voice first speaks in the rain scene? Saying "You will be tempted... but you cannot control it."
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 5:17 am

@Darth Dingbat wrote:

@Gemini

I thought Alec Guinnes' voice first speaks in the rain scene? Saying "You will be tempted... but you cannot control it."
@Darth Dingbat

He does speak there

Just hardly audible and is taken from the past scene where he says same thing to Luke? And alongside yodas it binds us. I think it may be in context of ren and Rey being tempted and the force bond  but it's not clear and consise until someone literally had to crank the volume up and post a transcript. Even then there were inaudible parts.

The sentence "Rey?,..these are your first steps" is entirely of new construct, much clearer, and appears to be constructed to sound  like someone talking directly to someone/ calling out to someone, it's edited to sound different and recorded anew with Ewan and Alex Guinness' part ended up how jj "would have begged" for Alec to say it to Rey.
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 5:24 am

@Gemini wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:

@Gemini

@Darth Dingbat

He does speak there

Just hardly audible and is taken from the past scene where he says same thing to Luke? And alongside yodas it binds us. I think it may be in context of ren and Rey being tempted and the force bind but it's not clear and consise until someone literally had to crank the volume up and post a transcript. Even then there were inaudible parts.

The sentence "Rey?,..these are your first steps" is entirely of new construct, much clearer, and appears to be constructed to sound  like someone talking directly to someone/ calling out to someone, it's edited to sound different and recorded anew with Ewan and Alex Guinness' part ended up how jj "would have begged" for Alec to say it to Rey.
@Gemini

"These are your first steps" is an entirely new construct, that's true. But "You will be tempted but you cannot control it" was also spliced to create a new sentence. The original line it was taken from was "But you cannot control it. This is a dangerous time for you, when you will be tempted by the Dark Side of the Force."
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 5:25 am

Oh was it?

So what was the line we are given in TFA? I can hardly hear it

Was it "you will be tempted but you cannot control it" as a whole line, i thought I heard more there
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 5:34 am

@Gemini wrote:Oh was it?

Was it "you will be tempted but you cannot control it" as a whole line, i thought I heard more there
@Gemini

It's really hard to hear and I don't know if he says something else, because there are other noises mixed up in that scene, as well as Yoda's and Palpatine's lines of course. But either way the original line was spliced into a new sentence because "you will be tempted" and "but you cannot control it" were the other way round in the original.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 5:37 am

Also just to say, I wasn't saying that when you hear him calling out to her was the first time he talks to her.

Was just talking about the choices made when bringing in the calling out line
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 5:38 am

@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@Gemini wrote:Oh was it?

@Gemini

It's really hard to hear and I don't know if he says something else, because there are other noises mixed up in that scene, as well as Yoda's and Palpatine's lines of course. But either way the original line was spliced into a new sentence because "you will be tempted" and "but you cannot control it" were the other way round in the original.
@Darth Dingbat

That's awesome btw.

I didn't know that i need to buff up on the OT I haven't seen it in a while
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 6:14 am

@Gemini

Breakdown of Forceback lines:

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/04/new-dialogue-discovered-in-reys-force-vision-from-star-wars-the-force-awakens/
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 1:50 pm

@vaderito wrote:

@Gemini

Breakdown of Forceback lines:

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/04/new-dialogue-discovered-in-reys-force-vision-from-star-wars-the-force-awakens/
@vaderito

Thank you for posting this. It is very interesting that the line "You will be tempted, but you cannot control it" comes right when Kylo kills Salad Bowl. It's also interesting that Rey is not addressed directly until the end. Could the beginning part be more narration of the story being shown with only the direct communication to Rey being saved for the end? Also, could the "You will be tempted, but you cannot control it" actually be more about Kylo/Ben and point to something somewhat Manchurian with him? I need to rewatch that and see the things this article says for myself, but if there is a hint of Manchurian in there, it might make the point where Kylo breaks the fourth wall very important. Like I said, I'll have to look at it again, but that article made me think of the scene in a new possible way, so thanks again. :-)
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by SoloSideCousin on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 2:27 pm

@soulluos wrote:It's the dark and light side of the force both trying to talk to Rey.

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/star-wars-force-awakens-dvd-10-things-learned/
@soulluos

Yeah, it says the dark and light are revealing themselves, which makes sense. That doesn't preclude some layering of meaning about Kylo/Ben though, especially with how KK was so insistent about having the KoR there for Kurosawa reasons. Who are the Kurosawa experts who can tell us what that might mean? @snufkin?
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 3:01 pm

@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@soulluos wrote:It's the dark and light side of the force both trying to talk to Rey.

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/star-wars-force-awakens-dvd-10-things-learned/
@soulluos

Yeah, it says the dark and light are revealing themselves, which makes sense. That doesn't preclude some layering of meaning about Kylo/Ben though, especially with how KK was so insistent about having the KoR there for Kurosawa reasons. Who are the Kurosawa experts who can tell us what that might mean? @snufkin?

1. @SoloSideCousin

I wish I were an expert, but I'm not!   I would suspect that it's the same reason the OT and PT swiped David Lean's technique of showing movement from the lefthand to righthand side of the screen, to denote progress in a character's narrative/development. Kurosawa was well regarded for how he used blocking in a scene to demonstrate/progress the narrative. What's really interesting to me is having been through cross-cultural training, one of the things I remember covered for Japanese is that it's a High Context Culture*. Meaning isn't overtly expressed the way us blunt/crass Americans are. There is a lot of information which you have to deduce and rules which you have to follow, all of which come from the social environment.:

The 5 Movements Akira Kurosawa Used to Compose His Work

#1 – The Movement of Nature

“In every one of his films, the background of the shots feature some kind of weather. Wind, water, fire, smoke, snow.”

#2 – The Movement of Groups

“Kurosawa films usually feature large groups of people who either band together or split apart.”

#3 – The Movement of Individuals

“One of my favorite thing with Kurosawa is that his blocking is unrealistic and exaggerated.”

#4 – The Movement of the Camera

“One of the hallmarks of Kurosawa’s style are is foot camera moves that go from a close-up, to a full shot, to an over-shoulder in a single unbroken take.”

#5 – The Movement of the Cut

“Kurosawa is one of the few directors that work as his own editor. One of the reason his movies just flow is that he tends to cut on movement. Often, you’re paying so much attention to someone who is moving that you don’t see the edit.”

How Legendary Director Akira Kurosawa Used Movement to Tell His Stories Visually

What's really interesting about this video essay is that it explores more than one kind of movement. Kurosawa wasn't just a master of camera movement and composition, but also moving his characters in the frame in the most interesting way possible to tell the story. Creating new frames with each camera movement makes them feel much more motivated, especially when the final frame of the movement gives you a completely new piece of information that you wouldn't have gotten if the camera didn't move.

That's really the power of movement in the frame, whether it be camera, character, or both. You're giving the audience new information without needing to tell them. At the end of the video, we're given the reason we do this in the first place — because of the visual stimulation, otherwise it's just radio. That's what makes film special.  

Kurasawa and the Geometry of a Scene

2. In regards to the Kenobi Question:

First time I saw TFA, the presence of Obi-Wan's voice in the Forceback immediately caught my attention. Especially because he addresses her directly by calling her name:

“You will be tempted, but you can not control it.”

“The Force will be with you.”

“Rey.”

“These are your first steps.”

That scene is what first hints at her path crossing with Ren's in a significant way, especially because like Obi-Wan, he "sees" and approaches her. So when Han shouts his name, that moment was very stunning for me. That the two men she interacts with  in the vision are the old Jedi Master and his namesake who's fallen to the Darkside. That part is what has made me wonder if there's hidden thread beyond Obi-Wan simply being her Fairy Godfather of the Force. Or if there was some connection either between Snoke and Obi-Wan or Rey's origins and Obi-Wan. We definitely know that Ben was named in honor of him for introducing his parents and being responsible for saving their lives. It's the name of an honorable and self-sacrificing (though not perfectly truthful) man. Even if Rey isn't a blood relative or descendent, Ben really is his legacy as much as he's Han and Leia's.

* More on High Context Cultures as background on how Kurosawa blocks the frame and visual placement of actors/scene to impart meaning without having to use exposition or dialogue:

As described earlier, high context refers to cultures that rely mainly on non-verbal, implicit communication. They rely on deep personal relationships, context, and traditions to interpret messages. By contrast, low-context cultures tend to have many short-term relationships, are more individualistic, and need the entire message to be explicitly conveyed through words.

High context cultures also tend to use polychronic time – where time is seen as fluid rather than sequential and where people prefer to juggle multiple tasks at once, prefer unstructured work environments, and do not place great importance on deadlines. This is in contrast to monochronic time.

To read more about this, please see our article on high context vs low context cultures and monochronic vs polychronic time.

Japan is considered one of the highest context cultures in the world. However, while the Japanese primarily use polychronic time, they use strict monochronic time when dealing with foreigners and in their handling of technology. The Japanese:

Rely on groups, informal networks and tight bonds: The group is very important in getting things done. Similarly, group harmony is paramount, which is why non-confrontational approaches are generally used. There is a greater distinction between people who are inside our outside one’s circle. Relationships are the basis of doing business.

Work space is more communal: People tend to work closer together. E.g. Japanese managers are usually not to be separated from the workforce, and often do not even have offices, instead preferring to have their desks right in the middle of the action. This closeness with one’s group is another enabler for high context communication. It also allows for a polychronic approach to work, where numerous tasks are juggled simultaneously.

Employ an indirect, non-confrontational style of communication: This is due to the fact that high context cultures rely on non-verbal indications like tone of voice and facial expressions, and also because confrontational behaviour is considered to be disruptive to group harmony. This has led to many problems during interactions with Western firms. On of the most discussed examples is the way the Japanese will say “yes” to mean “I hear you”, and they will typically never say “no” outright, making it necessary to interpret the rejection from the way the message was delivered.

Value traditions, rituals, and status: Traditions, rituals, and status provide an important context for how to act and how to interpret events. For this reason, change is slow and the Japanese prefer to discuss things at length before making a decision.

Do not work in a linear fashion: This basically means that they tend to consider many things at once, including multiple sources of information, rather than to proceed from A to B. The style of communication in the workplace is also characterised by this.

Do not separate their work from their spare time: This is another characteristic of polychronic time. The Japanese will typically spend many more hours at work as well as socialising with their colleagues. This strengthens the group and develops relationships.

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 3:26 pm

I'm not really sure what to make of this tweet. https://twitter.com/missingwords/status/772514743407915008 I'm sure some of his previous tweets were posted here but didn't someone say they dated back to before he joined the Lucasfilm story group? Anyway, this is from today.

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum