ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 6

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 6 - Page 4 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 6

Post by Saracene on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 6:18 am

@snufkin wrote:The hedging of bets about what will happen on this forum always makes me wonder if there's any correlation at all to our belief to our nationality. Or at least everybody I know who's British always points out "you're being wildly overoptimistic about that because you're American." Just wondering if that holds true for beliefs of how far things will pan out with the ST.
@snufkin

I'm Russian so I'm probably supposed to wallow in gloomy pessimism Wink Maybe the Australian positivity rubbed off on me in 20 years I've lived here.

On the other hand, the epic sweeping angsty Romance with captial "R" totally appeals to a Russian sensibility.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 6 - Page 4 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 6

Post by spacebaby45678 on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 6:20 am

Regardless, Mendo is a supreme talent and I will even pay to seem him play a senior citizen that tries to take down Darth Vader....
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 7:00 am

@FrolickingFizzgig Yep, movie's simple when you acknowledge Rey and Kylo as most important relationship with strong Force connection, etc. Inability to see or admit that is what makes people think movie's more complicated than it really is. But it's really simple:

Rey parents abandoned her. They are not in TFA. So whatever reason for dumping their kid will be explained briefly cause they are not in the movie and therefore no need for convoluted exposition about why people in the movie never talked about her, didn't recognize her, didn't sense her, etc.

Rey awakened in the Force which obviously manifests in accelerated learning curve.

Rey and Kylo form a Force connection (for those who hate word bond though it's the same thing) that allows them to learn about each other including Rey learning skills (mind trick, fighting technique) from Kylo. Much easier than mind wipe and all convoluted exposition about who did it and why.

The Force is calling to Rey because the last Skywalker, Ben, is refusing the call, his uncle is in self-exile and his mother has other pressing matter but take up training. But it's really that the young one is denying the Light side so the Force needs a non-Skywalker to fix the galaxy and help him get back on track. And, no, this is not a Fix Flick where chick fixes a guy without going through the process of self-actualization. It's funny how most aggressive antis everywhere tend to forget that most famous "Fix" stories are about self-actualization first, and fixing is just a side effect cause self-actualization brought self-actualization in another character. Examples:

Vivian learns to respect herself and strive for something better than be a hooker. Therefore, Edward starts to see her as worthy of respect and that changes his attitude towards many other things. (Pretty Woman)

Belle won't be coerced into marrying the Beast for his riches or as a blackmail while she's his prisoner, so the Beast falls in love with her and lets her go. She falls in love with him because he realized he was a good man who respected her by giving her freedom. (Beauty and the Beast)

Etc.

So, yeah, Rey and Kylo make the movie very simple and easy to follow, which is why children get it. They don't have OT goggles so there's no Reywalker or Soloist goggles that cloud everything in their world. They see exactly what's there.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 7:06 am

@vaderito wrote:@FrolickingFizzgig Yep, movie's simple when you acknowledge Rey and Kylo as most important relationship with strong Force connection, etc. Inability to see or admit that is what makes people think movie's more complicated than it really is. But it's really simple:

Rey parents abandoned her. They are not in TFA. So whatever reason for dumping their kid will be explained briefly cause they are not in the movie and therefore no need for convoluted exposition about why people in the movie never talked about her, didn't recognize her, didn't sense her, etc.

Rey awakened in the Force which obviously manifests in accelerated learning curve.

Rey and Kylo form a Force connection (for those who hate word bond though it's the same thing) that allows them to learn about each other including Rey learning skills (mind trick, fighting technique) from Kylo. Much easier than mind wipe and all convoluted exposition about who did it and why.

The Force is calling to Rey because the last Skywalker, Ben, is refusing the call, his uncle is in self-exile and his mother has other pressing matter but take up training. But it's really that the young one is denying the Light side so the Force needs a non-Skywalker to fix the galaxy and help him get back on track. And, no, this is not a Fix Flick where chick fixes a guy without going through the process of self-actualization. It's funny how most aggressive antis everywhere tend to forget that most famous "Fix" stories are about self-actualization first, and fixing is just a side effect cause self-actualization brought self-actualization in another character. Examples:

Vivian learns to respect herself and strive for something better than be a hooker. Therefore, Edward starts to see her as worthy of respect and that changes his attitude towards many other things. (Pretty Woman)

Belle won't be coerced into marrying the Beast for his riches or as a blackmail while she's his prisoner, so the Beast falls in love with her and lets her go. She falls in love with him because he realized he was a good man who respected her by giving her freedom. (Beauty and the Beast)

Etc.

So, yeah, Rey and Kylo make the movie very simple and easy to follow, which is why children get it. They don't have OT goggles so there's no Reywalker or Soloist goggles that cloud everything in their world. They see exactly what's there.
@vaderito

And also regarding Beauty and the Beast - Belle sees the person behind the monstrous visage. In short, will Rey see the Ben Solo inside Kylo Ren?
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 7:23 am

@motherofpearl1 Only if he shows her. It's really up to him cause if he keeps killing people than she won't see anything that isn't there.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 8:11 am

Ah...but they have a Force Bond. and we don't know what Rey is going to get up to yet!
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 9:35 am

@Gemini wrote:You're right about there should not be excavation to see who she is. I would never have thought she was a kenobi unless I thought it was somewhat pretty clear. Originally I saw kenobi immediately, first time watching. Went in there thinking random, came out thinking kenobi based mainly off of film language. There just appears to be a lot of it just on the surface.

Not so sure anymore though. Pablo is certainly pushing random a lot. Almost every tweet when he's asked about parentage. He's trying to push random. I just wonder why he would be doing this before the episode 8 plot comes out?  (Also Daisy even started heavily pushing random around the exact same time as Pablo)

Is he trying to soften the blow that the person built up as a secret someone through the use of dialogue, mystery box, narrative structure (orphan trope where they turn out to be hero blood) is a nobody? It's probably Likely. He seems irritated at the build up, why would you be irritated by it unless you knew the answer does not live up to the hype? Leads me to think random.

Trying to throw off the scent? Dunno, not likely.

He has never flat out debunked Rey kenobi. It's the one of the big 3 which he/the cast/director has never debunked. I've seen questions about Rey kenobi thrown at him even back when he was debunking parentage theories and there's just no clear debunk of it. Same goes for Reylo. He's pretty much hinted/debunked who are not genuine pairings but never flat out debunks we reylo.

Color me confused man.

Seriously lol

I'm struggling to see where he could have had a child in the time line though. In canon it can only be in the clone wars really.
@Gemini
Strictly IMO, the Rey Kenobi theory is way better with the whole potential Obi-Wan/Krennic/Rey relation firmly debunked. I might not think Kenobi is the right answer based on the structure of TFA, but that doesn't mean Rey won't end up being a Kenobi anyway. Like @MyOnlyHope said, all this theorizing could be entirely off-base, and Rey could still end up being revealed as Kenobi descendant. Key word here being descendant. I've said this before, but if Rey is to be a Kenobi then I hope she's a distant relation awakened by the Force to bring the Skywalkers together again rather than specifically Obi-Wan's granddaughter. There would be no need for convoluted backstories, grandmothers, mothers or fathers spanning decades of history in order to reach little orphan Rey on Jakku. It would feel so much more organic and poetic to be if that were the case (and appropriate for the Space Soap Opera that SW happens to be). And most of all it would be very simple. Fans won't have to go back to watch TCW to understand who Rey's grandmother was or watch Rogue One to see her father and then randomly connect the dots between them through some kind of teen fatherhood (or in this case pre being born fatherhood xD).

I guess what I'm trying to say is we don't need this theory in order for Rey Kenobi to be a thing canonically. Maybe the filmmakers have something up their sleeves, but it doesn't have to surround glorified retcon from TCW. Everything you believed before still stands, just on its own without weird name anagrams and meaningless Celebration posters with lightsabers pointing at people and changing the continuity of an old TV series in order to make one character into something else so he could go on to father Rey. It's just so... random and convoluted (strictly IMO).

I really don't want it to seem as though I am being disrespectful of this theory, because I'm not. I just didn't believe in it.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 10:21 am

When it comes to storytelling, there's a confusion between simple and easy. Simple is always the right answer in good storytelling. You know that Rey isn't Reylated because it isn't simple. It would require way too much convoluted exposition why nobody talks about her, doesn't recognize her, didn't feel her existence, didn't look for her, didn't reveal relation when they had a chance (which is when they came into contact with her), etc. But supporters think that Reylated is a given because it's easy. They just say the magic "I am your ___" words in any episode and that's enough for them to be satisfied. Easy yes but simple no, not even close. Cause it leads to "and now what?" that leads to convoluted exposition that tries to make sense of lazy writing. cause easy is really lazy.

So as far as Reynobi goes, anything that's convoluted won't be the right answer. Krennobi was convoluted. As already covered, Krennobi debunk doesn't debunk Reynobi, only Krennobi. Right now, nothing in ancillary books points at Reynobi but nothing points away either unlike Soloist which has been demolished by virtually everything (movie, books, Daisy, etc) and Bloodline seriously points away from Reywalker (on top of other things that already have).
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 10:47 am

@vaderito wrote:When it comes to storytelling, there's a confusion between simple and easy. Simple is always the right answer in good storytelling. You know that Rey isn't Reylated because it isn't simple. It would require way too much convoluted exposition why nobody talks about her, doesn't recognize her, didn't feel her existence, didn't look for her, didn't reveal relation when they had a chance (which is when they came into contact with her), etc. But supporters think that Reylated is a given because it's easy. They just say the magic "I am your ___" words in any episode and that's enough for them to be satisfied. Easy yes but simple no, not even close. Cause it leads to "and now what?" that leads to convoluted exposition that tries to make sense of lazy writing. cause easy is really lazy.

So as far as Reynobi goes, anything that's convoluted won't be the right answer. Krennobi was convoluted. As already covered, Krennobi debunk doesn't debunk Reynobi, only Krennobi. Right now, nothing in ancillary books points at Reynobi but nothing points away either unlike Soloist which has been demolished by virtually everything (movie, books, Daisy, etc) and Bloodline seriously points away from Reywalker (on top of other things that already have).
@vaderito
Completely agreed. Fans think "easy" and "simple" are one and the same, but they're actually opposites. A developing narrative is "simple" when point A leads to point B (which leads to point C and so forth). You'll get callbacks to various points throughout the story that acknowledge information that was previously given (i.e. Rey going to Ahch-To after Kylo sees the island in her mind). There should never be enormous detours that lead fans driving endlessly before even coming close to reaching a destination. The simplest answer is the right one. There is no mention of a little lost cousin or sister because there isn't one. End of story. Luke is constantly described as a "mythic figure" whose mission to restore the Jedi Order was his life because that's exactly what he was. Again, end of story. Maz says Rey's family isn't coming back because they aren't. She says belonging lies in what is ahead because that's exactly where Rey will find it. Leia says there's still light in Kylo and Han dies touching his son's face and loving him because he's going to find the light again, and Kylo stares at Rey like the source of his salvation because that's exactly what she is. Simple. No "Kylo is scared of Rey/is just trying to creep her out" random as hell explanations that don't fit with what happens next in TFA. DUDE BEGS TO BE HER TEACHER.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 11:13 am

@vaderito wrote:The Force is calling to Rey because the last Skywalker, Ben, is refusing the call, his uncle is in self-exile and his mother has other pressing matter but take up training. But it's really that the young one is denying the Light side so the Force needs a non-Skywalker to fix the galaxy and help him get back on track.

Ha! I now have the perfect response when someone tells me that Rey HAS to be a Skywalker because the lightsaber called to her! Seriously, I hadn't thought of it that way and it makes total sense. That family is in shambles and those who COULD answer the call have refused or are unable to. Which is why a non-Skywalker has to step in and answer the call. I think you've nailed it @vaderito and that's exactly what's happening. Also, I believe Kylo will eventually get the legacy lightsaber back but he has to earn it/become worthy of it again.

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 11:15 am

Luke is the 'Merlin' but who is the Arthur - Rey or Kylo?

A lot of people argue that Kylo must get killed off as he has to pay for what he's done. But I always think of the movie 'Serenity'., and the character of the Operative, played by Chiwetel Ejiofor.
In some ways he reminds me of Kylo, a ruthless fanatic devoted to his cause. But he had a change of heart. And found redemption by trying to do good rather than simply being 'killed off'.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 11:18 am

WhatGirl wrote:
@vaderito wrote:The Force is calling to Rey because the last Skywalker, Ben, is refusing the call, his uncle is in self-exile and his mother has other pressing matter but take up training. But it's really that the young one is denying the Light side so the Force needs a non-Skywalker to fix the galaxy and help him get back on track.

Ha! I now have the perfect response when someone tells me that Rey HAS to be a Skywalker because the lightsaber called to her! Seriously, I hadn't thought of it that way and it makes total sense. That family is in shambles and those who COULD answer the call have refused or are unable to. Which is why a non-Skywalker has to step in and answer the call. I think you've nailed it @vaderito and that's exactly what's happening. Also, I believe Kylo will eventually get the legacy lightsaber back but he has to earn it/become worthy of it again.
@WhatGirl

I'm absolutely sure he will; I think Rey will get the double lightsabre like Darth Maul and Bastila Shan, because why have they shown her with a quarterstaff?
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 11:21 am

Just to add another very simple and telling thing from TFA:
Leia: Luke is a Jedi, you are his father.

She did not even said Luke was Ben s uncle. The accent here is on Jedi - and everything what it means.
So, no, Luke is no one s father. He is a Jedi in the old traditional way.
Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 11:26 am

Exactly.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 11:28 am

@motherofpearl1 wrote:
WhatGirl wrote:

@WhatGirl

I'm absolutely sure he will; I think Rey will get the double lightsabre like Darth Maul and Bastila Shan, because why have they shown her with a quarterstaff?
@motherofpearl1

I think that's what they are going for, worth over legacy. Legacy ones can't/won't accept the call so the Force has to find someone who is worthy regardless of their origin. And that's Rey. So her worth is going to show Kylo what he's losing thanks to his bad decisions and what he could gain if he turned around - MF, saber, mother and uncle's love, Rey's love. 

I do expect the saber to fly to him when he proves himself worthy and, yes, good catch on staff hinting at possible double blade for Rey in the future. 

Also, Rebels established that saber call is not familial. Kanan's saber called to Ezra. They are master and apprentice and aren't related. It's the way of the Force, how it communicates with those whose help it needs.

@Darth_Awakened Totally and Bloodline confirms that. He is a Jedi, not a father (not only to Ben but in general).
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 11:31 am

WhatGirl wrote:

@WhatGirl

Just watching your gif...
That scene is the one where I started to feel sympathy for Kylo. The look of absolute terror on his face won me over. Behind the mask was a frightened child. Kudos for A.D for paying it so well.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 11:34 am

@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:

Completely agreed. Fans think "easy" and "simple" are one and the same, but they're actually opposites. A developing narrative is "simple" when point A leads to point B (which leads to point C and so forth). You'll get callbacks to various points throughout the story that acknowledge information that was previously given (i.e. Rey going to Ahch-To after Kylo sees the island in her mind). There should never be enormous detours that lead fans driving endlessly before even coming close to reaching a destination. The simplest answer is the right one. There is no mention of a little lost cousin or sister because there isn't one. End of story. Luke is constantly described as a "mythic figure" whose mission to restore the Jedi Order was his life because that's exactly what he was. Again, end of story. Maz says Rey's family isn't coming back because they aren't. She says belonging lies in what is ahead because that's exactly where Rey will find it. Leia says there's still light in Kylo and Han dies touching his son's face and loving him because he's going to find the light again, and Kylo stares at Rey like the source of his salvation because that's exactly what she is. Simple. No "Kylo is scared of Rey/is just trying to creep her out" random as hell explanations that don't fit with what happens next in TFA. DUDE BEGS TO BE HER TEACHER.
@FrolickingFizzgig

Just keep cutting and pasting all that whenever antis recycle their convoluted theories that try to make sense of stuff that is not happening (Reywalker, Soloist, Eviler Kylo, Finnrey, etc).
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 11:53 am

@Gemini wrote:You're right about there should not be excavation to see who she is. I would never have thought she was a kenobi unless I thought it was somewhat pretty clear. Originally I saw kenobi immediately, first time watching. Went in there thinking random, came out thinking kenobi based mainly off of film language. There just appears to be a lot of it just on the surface.

Not so sure anymore though. Pablo is certainly pushing random a lot. Almost every tweet when he's asked about parentage. He's trying to push random. I just wonder why he would be doing this before the episode 8 plot comes out?  (Also Daisy even started heavily pushing random around the exact same time as Pablo)

Is he trying to soften the blow that the person built up as a secret someone through the use of dialogue, mystery box, narrative structure (orphan trope where they turn out to be hero blood) is a nobody? It's probably Likely. He seems irritated at the build up, why would you be irritated by it unless you knew the answer does not live up to the hype? Leads me to think random.

He has never flat out debunked Rey kenobi. It's the one of the big 3 which he/the cast/director has never debunked. I've seen questions about Rey kenobi thrown at him even back when he was debunking parentage theories and there's just no clear debunk of it. Same goes for Reylo. He's pretty much hinted/debunked who are not genuine pairings but never flat out debunks we reylo.

Color me confused man.

Seriously lol

I'm struggling to see where he could have had a child in the time line though. In canon it can only be in the clone wars really.
@Gemini
And just one more thing about this. I think Rey's parentage might be the only real red-herring in the movie. Whether you focus on Skywalker, Kenobi, Solo, Palpatine, whatever, the point is you're focusing on something that doesn't really matter, which means you aren't focusing on what does matter. Like @Darth Dingbat this can be seen as a fatal flaw in the way the movie and character are presented. Rey is made out to be a classic nobody-who-is-really-somebody, but there are just enough hints in there that (when you take them at face-value) might be telling us all we need to know. Like that one article said, what if Rey has already told us exactly who she is? She's nobody. What if that "classified" was really just a joke? What if Maz only asked who Rey was because she sensed she was FS and genuinely wanted to know?

I agree that Pablo's Tweets and Daisy's comments have been worded in a such a way that they are clearly meant to "soften the blow" for fans who have built up a big mystery for Rey's origins. The film itself presents the mystery to us, and naturally we try to unravel it. But that's the thing, what if there isn't really anything to unravel at all? I don't know, I guess we'll see. I don't pretend to have any idea who Rey might be, and I still have the sense that she's something bigger than a name drop, something that will truly expand the story. That said, nobody can really deny what they've been pushing since this film's release, and that really is that Rey is just a scavenger who got caught up in this grand adventure to bring the Skywalker family back together. Why? Because the Force willed it. The Force is an active participant guiding Rey's way. It led her to Finn, to Kylo and to Luke.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 12:30 pm

And just one more thing about this. I think Rey's parentage might be the only real red-herring in the movie. Whether you focus on Skywalker, Kenobi, Solo, Palpatine, whatever, the point is you're focusing on something that doesn't really matter, which means you aren't focusing on what does matter.

This. Because if people were focusing on what really mattered there wouldn't be a need for Pablo to either completely debunk some theories or heavily hint that they are looking in the wrong direction. Rey's origin doesn't matter because it doesn't matter. And that means she isn't Reylated cause Reylated matters. You can't have Reylated and claim it doesn't matter/is no big deal. 

Like @Darth Dingbat this can be seen as a fatal flaw in the way the movie and character are presented. Rey is made out to be a classic nobody-who-is-really-somebody, but there are just enough hints in there that (when you take them at face-value) might be telling us all we need to know. Like that one article said, what if Rey has already told us exactly who she is? She's nobody. What if that "classified" was really just a joke? What if Maz only asked who Rey was because she sensed she was FS and genuinely wanted to know?

That's what it really is but the fact that the movie is directed by JJ "Cumberbatch isn't Khan" Abrams, is driving the conspiracy way of thinking more because it feeds certain headcanons than because those fans really think he would pull the same stunt twice. It's "I want Reywalker therefore I'm gonna believe that JJ is denying the obvious again even though it isn't the same case as Khan and Reywalker doesn't make sense in the context". 

I agree that Pablo's Tweets and Daisy's comments have been worded in a such a way that they are clearly meant to "soften the blow" for fans who have built up a big mystery for Rey's origins. The film itself presents the mystery to us, and naturally we try to unravel it. But that's the thing, what if there isn't really anything to unravel at all?  I don't know, I guess we'll see. I don't pretend to have any idea who Rey might be, and I still have the sense that she's something bigger than a name drop, something that will truly expand the story. That said, nobody can really deny what they've been pushing since this film's release, and that really is that Rey is just a scavenger who got caught up in this grand adventure to bring the Skywalker family back together. Why? Because the Force willed it. The Force is an active participant guiding Rey's way. It led her to Finn, to Kylo and to Luke.

@FrolickingFizzgig

Bigger than a name drop is the thing. Fans simply can't imagine what could be bigger than Reylated name drop or another Space Jesus. Well, that's up to the writers to figure out if nobody-who-is-somebody-but-not-somebody-you-think-she-is scenario is the right one. If it's nobody scenario than it's all covered. She awakened in the Force because the Force needs someone and usual suspects are not available for reasons. It's actually funny that so many fans completely forget/dismiss/don't even consider Awakening even though it's in the title. They'd rather come up with confusing stories about mind wipes, super FS parents (Skynobi), reincarnations than just see what's in front of them - The Force Awakens. That's what happened to Rey. That's why she's so good at everything Force related. Simple.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 12:34 pm

Color me confused man.

Seriously lol

@Gemini
And just one more thing about this. I think Rey's parentage might be the only real red-herring in the movie. Whether you focus on Skywalker, Kenobi, Solo, Palpatine, whatever, the point is you're focusing on something that doesn't really matter, which means you aren't focusing on what does matter. Like @Darth Dingbat this can be seen as a fatal flaw in the way the movie and character are presented. Rey is made out to be a classic nobody-who-is-really-somebody, but there are just enough hints in there that (when you take them at face-value) might be telling us all we need to know. Like that one article said, what if Rey has already told us exactly who she is? She's nobody. What if that "classified" was really just a joke? What if Maz only asked who Rey was because she sensed she was FS and genuinely wanted to know?

I agree that Pablo's Tweets and Daisy's comments have been worded in a such a way that they are clearly meant to "soften the blow" for fans who have built up a big mystery for Rey's origins. The film itself presents the mystery to us, and naturally we try to unravel it. But that's the thing, what if there isn't really anything to unravel at all? I don't know, I guess we'll see. I don't pretend to have any idea who Rey might be, and I still have the sense that she's something bigger than a name drop, something that will truly expand the story. That said, nobody can really deny what they've been pushing since this film's release, and that really is that Rey is just a scavenger who got caught up in this grand adventure to bring the Skywalker family back together. Why? Because the Force willed it. The Force is an active participant guiding Rey's way. It led her to Finn, to Kylo and to Luke.
@FrolickingFizzgig

If Rey succeeds in bringing Ben Solo back to the light then that is what makes her 'special.' Not who her parents are, but the fact that she and she alone can save the last Skywalker. His mother, the rebel leader, couldn't do it. His father, the hero, couldn't do it. His uncle, the last Jedi, couldn't do it. But this little scavenger girl, whom Ren himself called her, is the one that will do it.

You don't have to be a 'blue blood' to be special.

To quote the old Kevin Costner 'Robin Hood', nobility is defined by someone's actions.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 12:45 pm

There's a guy on Twitter, he's speculating that maybe Rey could be related to Rae Slane (Rae = Rey) and she has connections with Rax, too
Maria Antonietta
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 12:48 pm

@Maria Antonietta wrote:There's a guy on Twitter, he's speculating that maybe Rey could be related to Rae Slane (Rae = Rey) and she has connections with Rax, too
@Maria Antonietta

This formidable lady?

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 6 - Page 4 FEBtP2CM

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 6 - Page 4 Tumblr_o45dcq4KAT1qbnosso4_500

That guy clearly didn't pay attention to character's description. 

BTW, Rae Sloane is the best female character in new canon hands down.

Last edited by vaderito on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 12:49 pm

@vaderito wrote:
Like @Darth Dingbat this can be seen as a fatal flaw in the way the movie and character are presented. Rey is made out to be a classic nobody-who-is-really-somebody, but there are just enough hints in there that (when you take them at face-value) might be telling us all we need to know. Like that one article said, what if Rey has already told us exactly who she is? She's nobody. What if that "classified" was really just a joke? What if Maz only asked who Rey was because she sensed she was FS and genuinely wanted to know?

That's what it really is but the fact that the movie is directed by JJ "Cumberbatch isn't Khan" Abrams, is driving the conspiracy way of thinking more because it feeds certain headcanons than because those fans really think he would pull the same stunt twice. It's "I want Reywalker therefore I'm gonna believe that JJ is denying the obvious again even though it isn't the same case as Khan and Reywalker doesn't make sense in the context". 
@vaderito

That's a factor, certainly, but I don't think the parentage mystery came out of nowhere. There are certainly hints in the film that can be interpreted to mean she's already someone mysterious and significant: "classified? so am I", "I'm no one", "who's the girl?", the vision of her abandonment with the ship flying away, "is it true? you're just a scavenger?"... it all points to a classic nobody-who-turns-out-to-be-somebody. Or at the very least, the film sets up her background as a mystery. There's no lack of emphasis on whoever Rey is waiting for. If that mystery was accidentally created on JJ & Kasdan's part... that's a pretty weird mistake, IMO.

There are just no real clues as to what and who she is. I simply don't think we're meant to have any tools to start solving this mystery yet. And mind you, I do see that as something of a flaw, if it is so. A good mystery makes the audience complicit. It doesn't leave them guessing with absolutely nothing to go on.

It may be she really turns out to be "no one". I personally suspect, though, that her background is significant but it's significant in the context of the story that has yet to unfold. I think her background probably has nothing to do with anything we already know from the OT and the PT. It may be completely its own thing.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 12:58 pm

@Darth Dingbat I think that the mystery was created on purpose but they didn't think it would become Reylated. I mean, you can kind of forgive Reywalker obsession but Soloist is absolutely ridiculous. It isn't in the movie than it doesn't exist.

And yes, movie points away from Luke big time ("I thought he was a myth" nuff said) but some people just won't let it go, and it looks like TPTB that made JJ backtrack want to capitalize on the confusion. Mess.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 1:16 pm

Unless, of course, my pet theory is correct and the answer to the mystery is already mentioned in the film Wink Rey passes by her family's vagina dentata monsters and chooses a better father figure instead...
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum