ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 7

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 7 - Page 37 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 7

Post by Rei of Sunshine on Thu 17 Nov 2016, 8:09 am

I'm prepared for drastic and unfounded comparisons such as

"In 2016, we got Trump. In 2017 we got Reylo. RACISM IS REAL"

Heck yes I am prepared
Rei of Sunshine
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 7 - Page 37 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 7

Post by Maria Antonietta on Thu 17 Nov 2016, 8:12 am

@Rei of Sunshine wrote:I'm prepared for drastic and unfounded comparisons such as

"In 2016, we got Trump. In 2017 we got Reylo. RACISM IS REAL"

Heck yes I am prepared
@Rei of Sunshine

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 7 - Page 37 1e7e0410

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 7 - Page 37 1210
Maria Antonietta
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZenBrainJam on Thu 17 Nov 2016, 8:35 am

@BenRey wrote:The entitlement is what gets me. Life doesn't always go the way you want it to. I love Reylo, but it's not the end of the world if it never comes to fruition.

A year has gone by and I still receive derogatory and threatening messages on my Twitter. That's why I prefer not to have my account linked on here. Sad  I do follow some of you Smile

Be prepared for antis to make comparisons to Trump being elected. I'm serious. They're already calling Hux lovers Nazi sympathisers. I've never been in a fandom this intense.
@BenRey

And where would be any similarity between a RL businessman that has a RL political program with lot of traits in common with the mentality behind the SW empire and a fictional relationship that would save a fictional character from the FO, that with said empire has a lot in common? Because I can't follow the logic behind that reasoning tbh....
ZenBrainJam
ZenBrainJam
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Armadeus on Thu 17 Nov 2016, 9:26 am

@BenRey wrote:The entitlement is what gets me. Life doesn't always go the way you want it to. I love Reylo, but it's not the end of the world if it never comes to fruition.

A year has gone by and I still receive derogatory and threatening messages on my Twitter. That's why I prefer not to have my account linked on here. Sad  I do follow some of you Smile

Be prepared for antis to make comparisons to Trump being elected. I'm serious. They're already calling Hux lovers Nazi sympathisers. I've never been in a fandom this intense.
@BenRey

Me when people say sith like the bolded:

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 7 - Page 37 Raw
Armadeus
Armadeus
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

https://www.fictionpress.com/u/564105/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine on Thu 17 Nov 2016, 9:30 am

@ZenBrainJam wrote:

@BenRey

And where would be any similarity between a RL businessman that has a RL political program with lot of traits in common with the mentality behind the SW empire and a fictional relationship that would save a fictional character from the FO, that with said empire has a lot in common? Because I can't follow the logic behind that reasoning tbh....
@ZenBrainJam

#1 reason is coz both RL businessman and SW actor are white. which BTW I strongly disagree on. Trump is not white. He's clearly orange.
Rei of Sunshine
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rimfaxe96 on Thu 17 Nov 2016, 9:46 am

Just don't check YouTube comments. A fanboy nearly hyperventilated there about how the fight between Finn and Ren is basically like a white guy punishing his disobedient slave. Rolling Eyes
Rimfaxe96
Rimfaxe96
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Thu 17 Nov 2016, 9:55 am

@Rimfaxe96 wrote:Just don't check YouTube comments. A fanboy nearly hyperventilated there about how the fight between Finn and Ren is basically like a white guy punishing his disobedient slave. Rolling Eyes
@Rimfaxe96

that's why they want bad*** JediFinn to kill him. But seriously...C'mooon. Stop this nonsense
Maria Antonietta
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine on Thu 17 Nov 2016, 10:02 am

THIS IS STAR WARS NOT DJANGO UNCHAINED FFS!!!

People really gotta take off their Racial Sensitivity Glasses when they watch space fiction.
Rei of Sunshine
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Thu 17 Nov 2016, 10:03 am

@Rei of Sunshine wrote:THIS IS STAR WARS NOT DJANGO UNCHAINED FFS!!!

People really gotta take off their Racial Sensitivity Glasses when they watch space fiction.
@Rei of Sunshine

What should I say when someone makes a mafia movie? Or when I hear Italian cliches? FLY DOWN
Maria Antonietta
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Thu 17 Nov 2016, 10:17 am

@Maria Antonietta wrote:

@Rei of Sunshine

What should I say when someone makes a mafia movie? Or when I hear Italian cliches? FLY DOWN
@Maria Antonietta

I don't know why but I just had this tune crossing my mind: lol!

Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Thu 17 Nov 2016, 10:24 am

@Darth Dingbat wrote:
People have different opinions here, of course, but I don't personally see an "anti" as someone who can't imagine Reylo happening or doesn't like it if it does. I have friends who hate Star Wars, and I don't see them as "antis" either...

To me, the "anti-Reylo" mindset - and they do label it "anti-Reylo" themselves in places like Tumblr, so how is that not an accurate term? - is against Reylo as a fandom phenomenon. Against the fans themselves. From the start, the "anti-Reylo" crowd has been all about shaming the fans for liking the idea of "Reylo". Calling out, insulting, name-calling, belittling, gaslighting, denigrating fan art, even sending death threats or telling people to kill themselves or compiling lists of people known to ship Reylo (for what purpose?).

The behaviour I started seeing back in last December had nothing to do with discussing potential directions for the story: it was just suddenly fashionable to hate a certain sub-set of fans, who were, for some reason I will never understand, seen as scapegoats for everything that's wrong with the world (Tumblr mindset) or everything that's wrong with fangirls (SW discussion forums' mindset).

I don't have anything against Amanda Ward personally; I'm sure she's an intelligent and nice woman. But I've seen many other intelligent, nice people behave in strange ways when it comes to Reylo. For example, I saw people who seemed (at a glance) otherwise intelligent and level-headed declare that they can no longer be fans of Elizabeth Banks when the latter tweeted about Reylo being an intriguing possibility. Same with Claudia Gray. And where Amanda Ward crosses over into the "anti" territory is not when she says she doesn't want Rey and Kylo to have a romance; that's a perfectly valid opinion. I don't follow her on Twitter either, but I've been shown that she has mocked Reylo fans, Reylo fan art and Reylo fan fiction on more than one occasion, and that's what makes her an "anti" IMO. I don't even read fan fiction, except some humour ones sometimes, but it would never occur to me to go on Twitter to "LOL, look at this ridiculous sith that these stupid fangirls write".
@Darth Dingbat

Thanks for this, my thoughts exactly. And nobody is denigrating Amanda Ward or calling her some terrible, no good, awful person for disliking Reylo. We're just pointing out and being irritated by specific behavior of hers regarding Reylo and its fans, which I think is valid. We're "singling her out" because she made it public herself and it's relevant, since this is a Reylo forum.

To me she acts like an "anti", which particularly annoys me when she's a female fan with some prominence in the fandom. That doesn't mean I hate or even dislike the woman, since I don't even know her. But sometimes some people like to vent against this behavior a little, because it's so common and it wears you down. I don't consider it bashing.
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Thu 17 Nov 2016, 10:27 am

@Darth_Awakened wrote:
@Maria Antonietta wrote:

@Rei of Sunshine

@Maria Antonietta

I don't know why but I just had this tune crossing my mind: lol!

@Darth_Awakened

Iconic, amazing Very Happy
Maria Antonietta
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BenRey on Thu 17 Nov 2016, 10:28 am

@Rimfaxe96 wrote:Just don't check YouTube comments. A fanboy nearly hyperventilated there about how the fight between Finn and Ren is basically like a white guy punishing his disobedient slave. Rolling Eyes
@Rimfaxe96

This reminds me of the negative feedback the Finnlo fandom is receiving. Sad
BenRey
BenRey
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Thu 17 Nov 2016, 10:32 am

@BenRey wrote:
@Rimfaxe96

This reminds me of the negative feedback the Finnlo fandom is receiving. Sad
@BenRey

I miss the days when people weren't so precious about pairings. Now if it isn't perfectly lovely and healthy, people see it as an excuse to jump on it and make exaggerated comparisons so they can feel morally superior. Once upon a time the idea of shipping included enjoying romantic dynamics/stories that you would never want to recreate in real life. So you enjoyed it in fiction, where nobody really gets hurt. Now that's "not allowed" because apparently young women and girls are so weak-minded that they must be protected from fiction lest their little minds confuse it for reality.
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Thu 17 Nov 2016, 11:47 am

Nobody was thinking about the children! lol!

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 7 - Page 37 Chewie10
Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Thu 17 Nov 2016, 11:55 am

@Darth_Awakened wrote:Nobody was thinking about the children! lol!

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 7 - Page 37 Chewie10
@Darth_Awakened

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 7 - Page 37 Kkkkkk10
Maria Antonietta
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynak on Thu 17 Nov 2016, 12:53 pm

@ZioRen wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:
People have different opinions here, of course, but I don't personally see an "anti" as someone who can't imagine Reylo happening or doesn't like it if it does. I have friends who hate Star Wars, and I don't see them as "antis" either...

To me, the "anti-Reylo" mindset - and they do label it "anti-Reylo" themselves in places like Tumblr, so how is that not an accurate term? - is against Reylo as a fandom phenomenon. Against the fans themselves. From the start, the "anti-Reylo" crowd has been all about shaming the fans for liking the idea of "Reylo". Calling out, insulting, name-calling, belittling, gaslighting, denigrating fan art, even sending death threats or telling people to kill themselves or compiling lists of people known to ship Reylo (for what purpose?).

The behaviour I started seeing back in last December had nothing to do with discussing potential directions for the story: it was just suddenly fashionable to hate a certain sub-set of fans, who were, for some reason I will never understand, seen as scapegoats for everything that's wrong with the world (Tumblr mindset) or everything that's wrong with fangirls (SW discussion forums' mindset).

I don't have anything against Amanda Ward personally; I'm sure she's an intelligent and nice woman. But I've seen many other intelligent, nice people behave in strange ways when it comes to Reylo. For example, I saw people who seemed (at a glance) otherwise intelligent and level-headed declare that they can no longer be fans of Elizabeth Banks when the latter tweeted about Reylo being an intriguing possibility. Same with Claudia Gray. And where Amanda Ward crosses over into the "anti" territory is not when she says she doesn't want Rey and Kylo to have a romance; that's a perfectly valid opinion. I don't follow her on Twitter either, but I've been shown that she has mocked Reylo fans, Reylo fan art and Reylo fan fiction on more than one occasion, and that's what makes her an "anti" IMO. I don't even read fan fiction, except some humour ones sometimes, but it would never occur to me to go on Twitter to "LOL, look at this ridiculous sith that these stupid fangirls write".
@Darth Dingbat

Thanks for this, my thoughts exactly. And nobody is denigrating Amanda Ward or calling her some terrible, no good, awful person for disliking Reylo. We're just pointing out and being irritated by specific behavior of hers regarding Reylo and its fans, which I think is valid. We're "singling her out" because she made it public herself and it's relevant, since this is a Reylo forum.

To me she acts like an "anti", which particularly annoys me when she's a female fan with some prominence in the fandom. That doesn't mean I hate or even dislike the woman, since I don't even know her. But sometimes some people like to vent against this behavior a little, because it's so common and it wears you down. I don't consider it bashing.
@ZioRen

I agree, bashing is what antis did and still do to Reylo fans, not said Reylo fans expessing their distress and frustration at being mocked at when not prohibitted to mention the mere idea that there are romantic understones between Rey and Kylo. I also dislike the feeling that we have to like eveything the antis consider worth liking, as if it was an obligation for us to say we "love" their favourite characters because we are alrady questionable enough for daring to do the worst a human being can do, which seems to be shipping and fangirling.

This is not about Reylo because it happens in other areas of fandom. There are certain ways of approaching fandom the old diehard dinosaurs on the internet find unsavoury and oh surprise, they include (in fact they especially focus on) what they call fangirling.

Even Daisy referred to twelve-year-olds when she talked about Reylo recently because many like to dismiss Reylo fans as silly teenagers fangirling. They also like to compare Reylo to 50 Shades or Twilight to laugh at our supposed tastes. I have never read any of those things, I am an adult woman and have never considered myself a shipper but I am willing to defend the right of female teenagers to find their place in fandom without being mocked and also to ask for respect to what anybody decides to read, even if it is bad fiction. There's nothing wrong with fan art and fanfiction and people can ship whoever they want.

There's a tag on tumblr called anti-reylo. How can something like that exist? I'm not interested in FinnRey, for instance, but I would never visit a tag called anti-FinnRey and let alone write or read posts making fun of FinnRey fans. I'd like to ask for the same respect for us but I know it will be useless. We deserve it, though.

When I type the tag Reylo the tag anti- Reylo pops up second on the list and it annoys me to no end. Do you think there is an anti-FinnRey tag? If it exists I bet it isn't so popular. Well, we aren't being disrespectful, not in this forum, we are not the ones at fault.

I also think we have the right to like what we want and no obligation "to love" anything in particular or to feel guilty for being interested in a fictional pairing many find controversial.

I don't get the hype of this recurrent  whining against Reylo. We will get what the writers decide and then we may like it or not. All the fuss against Reylo in a world where movies and TV are full of violence and most fictional heroes do more than questionable things doesn't cease to puzzle me. I have the impression this is because this pairing caters mainly to female tastes, to the female gaze, and daring to do this in SW has caused a commotion in the old school fans, who happen to be mostly male.

According to some, girls and young women must be offered role models to follow and sanitized pairings to ship while males get a rich variety of characters including flawed and violent ones. Nobody worries about roles for little boys? Why not? If girls must be protected from abusive males and shown how to avoid toxic relationships why don't they show males how to prevent violence and abuse?

Men can identify with or simply enjoy all sorts of characters while girls should be offered role models? This is unacceptable and sexist. Instead of being socially progressive many anti-Reylo fans are promoting sexism, in some cases with good intentions but this is not right.

Last edited by Reynak on Thu 17 Nov 2016, 2:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reynak
Reynak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Thu 17 Nov 2016, 2:41 pm

It's like Luke avoiding Vader, you can't escape that. You can't hide the main conflict of the trilogy. Our skies are clear: Rey is not reylated, JJ highlights that Reylo is the focus of the story, John saying that the romance is not going to go like some expect, we have to be prepared for nuance and ambiguity, the central love story was already set up and Finn's character didn't exist, Rian worked on it while they were filming ch VII, our ship is sailing in crystal and calm waters.
Maria Antonietta
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Thu 17 Nov 2016, 3:30 pm

@Maria Antonietta wrote:

@Rei of Sunshine

@Maria Antonietta

Or when Russians are baddies yet again. We make great movie baddies though Wink
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynak on Thu 17 Nov 2016, 3:45 pm

Just like Spaniards, LOL. We are the worst. Twisted Evil
Reynak
Reynak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine on Thu 17 Nov 2016, 7:20 pm

Our baddies suck... We're relegated to behind the scenes. Either eskrima fighting stunt coach or Pixar art director or Let It Go's composer.

The closest thing a South East Asian could get to being baddied is the Kanji Club.
Rei of Sunshine
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rimfaxe96 on Thu 17 Nov 2016, 8:01 pm

German baddies are top-notch antagonists. Nothing is more satisfying than watching a hero character kill ruthless Nazi soldiers.
Plus all the grammar nazi (cat) jokes. Laughing
Rimfaxe96
Rimfaxe96
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MoonlitMoss on Fri 18 Nov 2016, 12:20 am

Elizabeth Banks mentioned Reylo? Be still my fangirl heart. That's awesome.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Fri 18 Nov 2016, 12:25 am

@MoonlitMoss wrote:Elizabeth Banks mentioned Reylo? Be still my fangirl heart. That's awesome.
@MoonlitMoss

Here: https://twitter.com/elizabethbanks/status/775783206607958016

I only just noticed she actually put a ship emoticon at the end of the tweet Laughing
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MoonlitMoss on Fri 18 Nov 2016, 1:23 am

@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@MoonlitMoss wrote:Elizabeth Banks mentioned Reylo? Be still my fangirl heart. That's awesome.
@MoonlitMoss

Here: https://twitter.com/elizabethbanks/status/775783206607958016

I only just noticed she actually put a ship emoticon at the end of the tweet Laughing
@Darth Dingbat

Thanks! I missed it. The ship emoticon is on point lol.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum