ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 12

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 12 - Page 37 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 12

Post by Sacrebleu on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 4:32 am

@snufkin wrote:Huh so thinking on this last part of the above critique of Rey as a "role model"

she is basically the Star Wars equivalent of homeschooled—untouched, inexperienced, unaware of the extent of her own power (for now).

That's part of Ren's initial interest in her, assuming that because she's inexperienced and has been isolated to the world that she'd be open to his influence and easy to control. Including the whole lines about being untrained/strong and then becoming dangerous the longer she's not his 'guest.' We've discussed on here about how "you need a teacher" is a very specific type of hetero male come-on. All of these assumptions get demolished because she kicks his a**. So the next time around, once they're forced to spend time together on neutral ground, he's likely going to keep getting those assumptions dismantled because they'll actually get to know each other.

Also super creepy, but the above is also kind of how Snoke treats him as teacher's pet, with creepy praise about being the perfect material.
@snufkin

The film critic Roger Ebert once wrote, "Men love to instruct women they are interested in", or something like that.  I agree with him.
Sacrebleu
Sacrebleu
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 12 - Page 37 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 12

Post by snufkin on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 11:29 am

I didn't realize that there was an editorial policy about posting things which "We" might disagree with. I'm more of a "move along and don't say anything if you disagree" philosophy when it comes to things that are meant to be fun/silly and save my powder for actual issues that merit speaking up about.

It's Reddit, but unlike its previous track record of chasing after somebody with pitchforks for daring to even bring up the question, there was a debate. And in between the people who keep insisting that Rey is Luke's daughter and she'll marry Finn (which got shut down pretty fast), you have some really great observations like this one (which is a goddamn executive summary of the ST)

Take what goes on the interrogation and set aside any assumption that there is a sexual interest that people might impute to the scene, and there still remains an incredibly strong implication of interest and intrigue that flows from Ren towards Rey.

Ren seems to be fascinated with her. It explains why he would abduct her rather than following through on the simpler plan of just tracking down the droid. Once he has her in hand, he doesn't just go in for the information he ostensibly wants, as he does with Poe. He instead meanders off into this moment of "taking whatever I want." And what do we learn from that scene that he wants? He wants her thoughts, her dreams, her most intimate feelings. He wants to know her. He feels connected to her from the outset: "Don't be afraid. I feel it too."

Already for Ren Rey is more than just "a girl he just met."

There are lots of ways to read this scene, and ultimately a lot of the disputation around these questions involves these alternate reads.

I'll give you my take, which is not just 'smut and sexual tension.'

Ren is isolated. A lot of this movie deals with questions of isolation and connection. He feels cut off from those around him. I read it as he was born with some powerful gifts that his parents had a hard time dealing with, particularly his father who was never known to be a big proponent of the force. He felt alone and not understood with no one to guide him through his life.

I can relate. I have the recurrent dream. It's something of a nightmare actually. I dream that I realize that I have psychokinetic powers. They start out small and subtle with me maybe rustling some leaves or sheets of paper with my mind. I find this power seductive, but also scary. What does it mean? What will happen next? Who can help me through this experience? I feel like I can trust no one because I imagine anyone who I might turn to might want to simply exploit me for my powers. I want to turn off this power and try to avoid using it, but I keep feeling drawn to it. I keep using it a bit to check if it is still there, and every time I do that it gets stronger, and I get more fearful. I feel very alone and very powerless to my fate in this dream. Thankfully, I always wake up.

Ren is living that dream. He has powers that are dangerous and that he doesn't fully understand, and he's not sure who he can trust. The people who are a generation older than him, all have opinions about him and his powers, but they all come with baggage and agendas of their own. He's not sure if he can trust them, or which of them he can trust.

And then this girl shows up. And she's like him. Powerful and alone. She doesn't carry the baggage and agenda of the older generation. Of course, he is going to be drawn to her. They are in the odd position now of being rivals, but from his perspective, she might be the only ally he can trust. He is desperate to draw her to him, to have someone, some connection to another.

Ren and Rey are, in some respects, twins. One of those reylo 'tumblrinas' you've dismissed so readily in your recent comments, said something at some point that was illuminating to me (sorry, I don't remember who, so I cannot cite.) Most of the things that Ren says to Rey in their final confrontation can apply equally well to both of them, things like "It's just us now. Han Solo can't help you" and "You need a teacher."

That he sees them as the same may, in fact, be a big part of why he appears so desperate to turn her. If she can be pulled to the dark side, maybe there is hope that he can too. He's trying to desperately make that turn and it is not working for him. He's made a whole lot of horrific sacrifices to try to bind himself to the dark side. He's killed innocent people, he's betrayed his mentor, he's made this crazy desperate act of patricide to ward off the pull of the light, and none of this seems to be working for him. He is being weakened rather than strengthened, and at the same time he's run into this girl who is given all this power for free. She hasn't made the sacrifices he has, and yet with each attempt to dominate her, he appears to empower her.

Rey is argument that he has taken the wrong path, and he's desperate to justify to himself he has not. This girl is, under those circumstance, undoubtedly the single most important thing for him. Play it out as a romance or not. I don't see it as a simple or horrid storyline. It is, in this movie at least, a great tragedy, at least for Ren. It's full of irony and complexity.

I have no doubt that this relationship is what is central to this trilogy. I wouldn't worry about it being simple or pat. It hasn't been yet, and it's only going to get more complicated in the follow on films. Rey and Ren are definitely what will be tugging each other back and forth between light and dark. I love Leia, and I'd like to see more of her in the film, but she doesn't have the same draw for Ren as Rey does.

@sacrebleu, ha no what movie did he say that about? It's true, all of it! I've dated several men who do that and dont' appreciate/enjoy it because I end up feeling like I'm being pestered. OTOH, I also have a couple friends who've married guys who are really supportive/dynamic personalities and that in turn has resulted in them doing things like going back to school or starting their own businesses. So YMMV, but that's kind of the ideal in any relationship, finding somebody who brings out the best in you and supports you to grow and do challenging/important things. Hopefully that's what we'll get with these two. But yes, many of us saw that line out of Ren's mouth to mean that exact type of behavior. Even in one of the original versions of Han and Leia fighting at Echo Base in the ESB, his original argument with her was that he could teach her how to be a woman, wink wink. Like father like son.

Last edited by snufkin on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 11:44 am

I know a few people contributing to that Reddit thread, and am glad to read that there are some who were skeptical about the possibility of romance now engaging in the debate with an open mind. 

That's all we really have the right to ask for, it's not as if people are obliged to agree or become shippers. The 'us vs them' mentality in fandom has really gotten in the way of some fantastic discussion since last December. Hoping things get better within the next year as we hear more about VIII.
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 12:25 pm

@BastilaBey wrote:I know a few people contributing to that Reddit thread, and am glad to read that there are some who were skeptical about the possibility of romance now engaging in the debate with an open mind. 

That's all we really have the right to ask for, it's not as if people are obliged to agree or become shippers. The 'us vs them' mentality in fandom has really gotten in the way of some fantastic discussion since last December. Hoping things get better within the next year as we hear more about VIII.
@BastilaBey

I'am comfortable with anything except the "witch hunting" atmosphere we had in fandom for a year now.

Last edited by Darth_Awakened on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 12:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 12:28 pm

Let's just say that after Harry Potter, Naruto and Avatar: The Last Airbender, I'm ready to nominate Star Wars as the fourth fandom with the most vitriolic ship wars.
Irina de France
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 12:35 pm

@BastilaBey wrote:I know a few people contributing to that Reddit thread, and am glad to read that there are some who were skeptical about the possibility of romance now engaging in the debate with an open mind. 

@BastilaBey

Everytime I see your avatar, I can't not think of poor Kylo chasing after Rey because otherwise he'll be by himself in the corner at the mandatory enforced fun holiday party for the FO (and who am I kidding? trying to maneuver her close to the mistletoe).

Like I've said, the whole business of fandom and 'shipping' (which sounds like Fantasy Football, except that it's which fictional characters you want see screw each other) is completely alien to me. Just zero interest but somehow it's become ingrained as a thing people do. Which the 'us' versus 'them' mentality unfortunately permeates a Hell of a lot more on the Internet than just Star Wars. So I'm all for any type of situation where people can actually have a debate with an open mind on both sides. And the Reddit thread with some actual thoughtful posts was encouraging to me given the gatekeeping (or witch hunting) that's existed in the past year.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Airemyn on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 1:15 pm

I started reading that Reddit thread ready to roll my eyes at the abuse hurled towards the very possiblity of Reylo, and was pleasantly surprised to see a real debate with hardly any of the childishness we have experienced in the past year.

As you guys mention above, I too have no problem with healthy debate - we don't all have to agree on the outcome of the ST or the central storyline until we know more. What I hate is the patronising assumption that we want another Twilight-inspired fanfic or we just fancy Adam Driver. It's sexist and downright offensive.
Airemyn
Airemyn
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Airemyn on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 1:19 pm

Arghh and after a good starting debate, two posts later the 'r' word comes up - why????? Mad

This is Star Wars people, not Game of Thrones!

Airemyn
Airemyn
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 1:22 pm

@Airemyn wrote:I started reading that Reddit thread ready to roll my eyes at the abuse hurled towards the very possiblity of Reylo, and was pleasantly surprised to see a real debate with hardly any of the childishness we have experienced in the past year.

As you guys mention above, I too have no problem with healthy debate - we don't all have to agree on the outcome of the ST or the central storyline until we know more. What I hate is the patronising assumption that we want another Twilight-inspired fanfic or we just fancy Adam Driver. It's sexist and downright offensive.
@Airemyn

Exactly. I mean, even here on this forum, we've got a whole huge spectrum of what individual posters think that "Reylo" will mean for this trilogy. Some posters here don't see them being more than platonic/reluctant allies for this trilogy; some doubt that we'll see anything beyond a one-sided attraction from Kylo but compassion from Rey; some see a slow-burn romance that will build over VIII and IX, and some see a full-blown romantic relationship that could end the trilogy with Reylo babies. Until we know more, these are all valid viewpoints.

The funny thing is that even with our wide range of view points, I don't think there's a single person here who is clamoring for the Twilight/50 Shades storyline that we get so openly mocked for elsewhere on the internet.

I actually enjoyed reading most of that reddit thread--healthy debate (when it's not fueled by passive-aggressive condescension) can be both though-provoking and entertaining.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 1:26 pm

@Airemyn wrote:Arghh and after a good starting debate, two posts later the 'r' word comes up - why????? Mad

@Airemyn

They bring up the "R" word all the while thinking they're related, be it cousins or siblings. Like, do they not realize how horrible that would actually be if what they were saying was true? Do they honestly think that kind of subject matter would be inserted into a Star Wars movie?
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 1:31 pm

@Airemyn wrote:Arghh and after a good starting debate, two posts later the 'r' word comes up - why????? Mad

@Airemyn

because they're dumb
Maria Antonietta
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 1:56 pm

@Maria Antonietta Love the new avatar!

ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 2:03 pm

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:@Maria Antonietta Love the new avatar!

@ISeeAnIsland

Oh my gosh that is gorgeous. I have never seen ANYONE make a toilet look sexy, and yet here we are...
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 2:10 pm

Part of why the Twilight comparisons make me roll my eyes (besides women have the right to read/enjoy whatever the eff they want w/out judgement) is that unlike snotty people on the Internet, I've actually read the book. Can't really speak to the movie franchise, but yes the book sucks. However I can tell you a Hell of a lot more about it (it's about a young woman from a secular background and broken home who marries into a religious group) and why it's not like the ST than they probably could.

@Airemyn wrote:Arghh and after a good starting debate, two posts later the 'r' word comes up - why????? :x

@Airemyn

If there was a Venn diagram of all of reasons why there are bad fan theories and misconceptions about this relationship, one of them would have to be people can't figure out that there's a difference between the type of stories being told on an episodic TV show versus what's in 3 2+ hour movies.

Last edited by snufkin on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 2:18 pm

@IoJovi wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:@Maria Antonietta Love the new avatar!

@ISeeAnIsland

Oh my gosh that is gorgeous. I have never seen ANYONE make a toilet look sexy, and yet here we are...
@IoJovi

Cool
Maria Antonietta
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonGal555 on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 2:28 pm

You all are killing me today. LOL :-)

LondonGal555
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sacrebleu on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 3:14 pm

@snufkin wrote:@sacrebleu, ha no what movie did he say that about? It's true, all of it! I've dated several men who do that and dont' appreciate/enjoy it because I end up feeling like I'm being pestered. OTOH, I also have a couple friends who've married guys who are really supportive/dynamic personalities and that in turn has resulted in them doing things like going back to school or starting their own businesses. So YMMV, but that's kind of the ideal in any relationship, finding somebody who brings out the best in you and supports you to grow and do challenging/important things. Hopefully that's what we'll get with these two.  But yes, many of us saw that line out of Ren's mouth to mean that exact type of behavior. Even in one of the original versions of Han and Leia fighting at Echo Base in the ESB, his original argument with her was that he could teach her how to be a woman, wink wink. Like father like son.
@snufkin

I can't even recall which movie he was reviewing.  I just remember reading that statement and thinking how true it was in my experience.  Whenever a man has become really interested in me, he has wanted me to learn his hobbies and share his interests.  I wasn't actually all that gung ho to learn how to fly fish, but hey.  I try to be open to new experiences. Lolilol
Sacrebleu
Sacrebleu
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 3:20 pm

@Sacrebleu - now see, that would be fun at least in the sense that you're getting outdoors. From the hints, it sounds like we'll get some of that in a two way direction in VIII, with feeling the Force and probably Rey's rock climbing and scavenging related skills coming into play. Maybe even a little bit about how to use the Darkside for fabulous hair Wink.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 3:43 pm

@Sacrebleu wrote:
@snufkin wrote:@sacrebleu, ha no what movie did he say that about? It's true, all of it! I've dated several men who do that and dont' appreciate/enjoy it because I end up feeling like I'm being pestered. OTOH, I also have a couple friends who've married guys who are really supportive/dynamic personalities and that in turn has resulted in them doing things like going back to school or starting their own businesses. So YMMV, but that's kind of the ideal in any relationship, finding somebody who brings out the best in you and supports you to grow and do challenging/important things. Hopefully that's what we'll get with these two.  But yes, many of us saw that line out of Ren's mouth to mean that exact type of behavior. Even in one of the original versions of Han and Leia fighting at Echo Base in the ESB, his original argument with her was that he could teach her how to be a woman, wink wink. Like father like son.
@snufkin

I can't even recall which movie he was reviewing.  I just remember reading that statement and thinking how true it was in my experience.  Whenever a man has become really interested in me, he has wanted me to learn his hobbies and share his interests.  I wasn't actually all that gung ho to learn how to fly fish, but hey.  I try to be open to new experiences. Lolilol
@Sacrebleu

Fly fishing! You must have had far more well-rounded guys interested in you than I did in my single days.

The guys that were interested in me wanted to "teach" me things like advanced UNIX shell scripting and to play video games with them. Or the guy who really wanted me to brush up on my Russian lit so that I could discuss it with him. (No offense to any Tolstoy lovers, but I've never really had the attention span for his stuff.)
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sacrebleu on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 3:44 pm

@snufkin

I think, and I'm generalizing here, that men rather expect you to enter into their world as opposed to vice versa.  They want you to eat their favorite foods, drink their favorite drinks, watch their favorite movies, read their favorite books, listen to their favorite music.  They want you to like what they like.

@ISeeAnIsland

Well, I'm probably older than you.  The only boyfriend I've ever had who played video games was my high school boyfriend, and that was playing Ms. Pacman at the local arcade (aging myself here).

Last edited by Sacrebleu on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sacrebleu
Sacrebleu
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 4:01 pm

@Sacrebleu wrote:@snufkin

I think, and Im generalizing here, that men rather expect you to enter into their world as opposed to vice versa.  They want you to eat their favorite foods, drink their favorite drinks, watch their favorite movies, read their favorite books, listen to their favorite music.  They want you to like what they like.

@ISeeAnIsland

Well, I'm probably older than you. The only boyfriend I've ever had who played video games was my high school boyfriend, and that was playing Ms. Pacman at the local arcade (aging myself here).

@Sacrebleu

the 'expect you to enter their world' is very much part of what his behavior towards Rey is in TFA. Which yes, to a degree is happening/will happen to her as she's drawn into the Force plot. But a lot of us are hoping that it'll go both ways as she'll pull him out of the FO/Snoke/KoR side of things into more of her world. That does sort of happen seeing as how he's changed (meaning gets demolished) by the end thanks to interacting with her. And their scenes together are very much in a world of their own, neither the FO nor the Resistance.

@ISeeAnIsland - this is why I've joked that he wants to give Rey the mixtape he's made for her. If she'd only listen to him, he could show her all of the coolest ways to use the Force. Then he'd have somebody to talk to about the Imperial Archives, history and proper laserbolt stopping techniques because God knows nobody he interacts with in the FO other than Snoke would give him the time of day about that

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Rey on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 4:50 pm

I read a kind of relevant quote earlier:

'Psychology says the person who brings out the best in you and makes you strong, is actually your weakness.'

Rogue Rey
Rogue Rey
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 5:45 pm

@snufkin Since you've been wondering how Kylo gets his hair looking so fab... 'hyperspace apple' Laughing

ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 12 - Page 37 Tumblr_ohgzypB5V81va3tggo1_1280

http://smugglerben.tumblr.com/post/153872548710/knightsofreyloren-now-available-at-walmart-this
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Geralt_Riv on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 5:48 pm

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@Sacrebleu wrote:
@snufkin

@Sacrebleu

Fly fishing! You must have had far more well-rounded guys interested in you than I did in my single days.

The guys that were interested in me wanted to "teach" me things like advanced UNIX shell scripting and to play video games with them. Or the guy who really wanted me to brush up on my Russian lit so that I could discuss it with him. (No offense to any Tolstoy lovers, but I've never really had the attention span for his stuff.)
@ISeeAnIsland
What is wrong with teaching advanced UNIX shell scripting? confused
Geralt_Riv
Geralt_Riv
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyla Ren on Wed 30 Nov 2016, 5:50 pm

@BastilaBey wrote:@snufkin Since you've been wondering how Kylo gets his hair looking so fab... 'hyperspace apple'  Laughing

ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 12 - Page 37 Tumblr_ohgzypB5V81va3tggo1_1280

http://smugglerben.tumblr.com/post/153872548710/knightsofreyloren-now-available-at-walmart-this
@BastilaBey

LOLOL I thought that was photoshopped but I went to Suave's website to check and it's real! Laughing  Kylo's hair really is fabulous, though.  They should use him in shampoo and other hair care commercials. Laughing  Their sales would probably skyrocket. Laughing
Kyla Ren
Kyla Ren
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum