giaciak2
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars Connection + Daughter Podcasts

Post by cherrylipstick on Wed 14 Feb 2018, 4:51 pm

Yes!!! cheers cheers  
What a beautiful way to celebrate love today WinksD
I cannot wait to relax and watch the video with a nice cup of tea!
cherrylipstick

https://cherrylipstick85.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Wed 14 Feb 2018, 4:57 pm

@lauvamp wrote:I WAS WAITING FOR THAT H-beating H-beating H-beating

And thanks for including my REYLONTINE haha Cheek kiss
@lauvamp

OMG, you made that insanely adorable chibi reylo? cheers  Can you post the original? It's too cute for words. H-beating H-beating H-beating H-beating
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Star Wars Connection on Wed 14 Feb 2018, 5:02 pm

@vaderito wrote:
@lauvamp wrote:I WAS WAITING FOR THAT H-beating H-beating H-beating

And thanks for including my REYLONTINE haha Cheek kiss
@lauvamp

OMG, you made that insanely adorable chibi reylo? cheers  Can you post the original? It's too cute for words. H-beating H-beating H-beating H-beating
@vaderito

Yaass it's adorable!! <3 Thanks so much @lauvamp!
Star Wars Connection
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLlbPGNQ9_GMfOMxAhUm9Hg

Back to top Go down

Post by lauvamp on Wed 14 Feb 2018, 5:06 pm

@Star Wars Connection @vaderito

Thank you, so happy you liked it! As soon as I get home I will post it ^_^
lauvamp
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

https://lauvamp.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Wed 14 Feb 2018, 7:40 pm

@lauvamp wrote:@Star Wars Connection @vaderito

Thank you, so happy you liked it! As soon as I get home I will post it ^_^
@lauvamp

H-beating H-beating H-beating H-beating H-beating

I'M EXPLODING FROM CUTENESS!!!!!
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by nickandnora on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 6:20 am

I just want to say that I'm new to this podcast and I really, really love it. I've listened to the literature ones more than once already and sent them to my mom who also loves Star Wars and the books discussed in question. SO many great comparisons, but I gotta say that the whole comparison of Wuthering Heights as a parallel to the generational narrative that is Star Wars (ie. Heathcliff and Cathy done screwed it up like Anidala, and Hareton and Cathy Jr./Reylo are going to fix it) literally blew my mind.

Something that I don't think was mentioned but was a little thought-nugget: you compared the Resistance to the Rivers' in Jane Eyre and that sense of belonging but not quite, and that was awesome. However, I also thought, in addition to this (because the ST is really firing on a lot of different levels and with a lot of different texts) there might also be the potential of someone to also be the Mr. Wickham to Kylo's Darcy in the Resistance as well. ie. there could be one of them (or more than one) who tries to get her to think badly of him but who Rey ends up seeing through (likeliest option is Poe, who actually has a connection to Leia and might actually know a bit of Kylo/Ben's backstory). Just a thought. I loved ALL the comparisons you did make!

nickandnora
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Rowan on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 6:55 am

@nickandnora wrote: I also thought, in addition to this (because the ST is really firing on a lot of different levels and with a lot of different texts) there might also be the potential of someone to also be the Mr. Wickham to Kylo's Darcy in the Resistance as well. ie. there could be one of them (or more than one) who tries to get her to think badly of him but who Rey ends up seeing through (likeliest option is Poe, who actually has a connection to Leia and might actually know a bit of Kylo/Ben's backstory). Just a thought. I loved ALL the comparisons you did make!
@nickandnora

Oh god I dislike Poe enough as it is. XD

Kidding aside, that would be a really interesting take on the Kylo/Poe/Rey dynamic, and it seems plausible. For myself, I would love to see a scenario where Kylo thinks that Rey and Poe are dating, but in spite of that he ends up saving/helping Poe because of his love for Rey. And then it turns out that Poe is gay/secretly married to Jessica Pava/Rey's brother or something like that. It would be like a nice mashup of Darcy helping Wickham because he's in love with Lizzie and that matters more than hating Wickham + the "He was her brother" moment of realization for Thornton in North and South. Perfection! ^^

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 7:18 am

@Darth Rowan wrote:
@nickandnora wrote: I also thought, in addition to this (because the ST is really firing on a lot of different levels and with a lot of different texts) there might also be the potential of someone to also be the Mr. Wickham to Kylo's Darcy in the Resistance as well. ie. there could be one of them (or more than one) who tries to get her to think badly of him but who Rey ends up seeing through (likeliest option is Poe, who actually has a connection to Leia and might actually know a bit of Kylo/Ben's backstory). Just a thought. I loved ALL the comparisons you did make!
@nickandnora

Kidding aside, that would be a really interesting take on the Kylo/Poe/Rey dynamic, and it seems plausible. For myself, I would love to see a scenario where Kylo thinks that Rey and Poe are dating, but in spite of that he ends up saving/helping Poe because of his love for Rey. And then it turns out that  Poe is gay/secretly married to Jessica Pava/Rey's brother or something like that. It would be like a nice mashup of Darcy helping Wickham because he's in love with Lizzie and that matters more than hating Wickham + the "He was her brother" moment of realization for Thornton in North and South. Perfection! ^^

@Darth Rowan

I watched the BBC version of P&P just last week.  Poe as Wickham was most definitely one of the first things that crossed my mind, and I wouldn’t be shocked at all if JJ went that route.  I seriously hope we don’t get any type of ‘love triangle’, even if it’s obvious who Rey will choose.  Still, this scenario seems very very plausible.  Or on a more comical note, if Poe is indeed Wickham, maybe Finn is Lydia?  Laughing
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by thescavenger on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 8:19 am

@Star Wars Connection wrote:

Pride and Prejudice and Reylo
In today’s episode we talk about the parallels between the Rey and Kylo Ren dynamics in the Star Wars sequel trilogy and seminal works of classic British literature. We begin with a focus on Pride and Prejudice, overviewing the similarities between the character design of Kylo Ren and the much beloved Mr.Darcy. We discuss the Rey and Kylo Ren enemies to lovers ROMANTIC DRAMA  promised by Rian Johnson, and how it compares to Lizzie and Darcy’s situation, right down to The Proposal of Doom.

In our overview of other key literary references, we briefly discuss Wuthering Heights and its parallels to Reylo - but not in the way you expect. We also talk the Anne of Green Gables and West Side Story Reylo connection.

We overview how themes of the heroine’s journey, female sexual awakening and exploration vs repression, virtue vs debauchery are portrayed in works like Jane Eyre, Sense and Sensibility, North and South, Pride and Prejudice - and in Rey’s character arc in the ST.

We discuss the revolutionary portrayal of female agency in works like Jane Eyre, and why agency is an essential character trait in Rey. We believe that Rey and Ben’s separation at the end of TLJ is a painful but necessary development to establish Rey’s independence. It is also a necessary catalyst for Kylo Ren’s further character development and their eventual romance.

Lastly, we contrast the approach to romance in Jane Austen’s work, including novels like Fanny Price and Persuasion, with Charlotte Brontë’s approach in Jane Eyre, and how it ties in with the Reylo dynamic.  

This is part 2 of our Literary References in Reylo podcast series. Part 1 of our discussion centers on Jane Eyre and North and South. You can find it here.

Other podcasts referenced:
SWC | Reylo 101: Why Reylo Belongs in Star Wars
SWC | Rey and Kylo Ren: Sex and Force Bonds
SWC | Visual Storytelling in The Force Awakens

Happy Valentine's Day! ^^
@Star Wars Connection

This is the video I'm looking for.. can't wait to listen to it!
thescavenger
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Teo oswald on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 11:35 am

every podcast they make, is always a masterpiece I always get lost in their words. it's nice Smile
Teo oswald
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 2:09 pm

@IoJovi wrote:
@Darth Rowan wrote:
@nickandnora

Kidding aside, that would be a really interesting take on the Kylo/Poe/Rey dynamic, and it seems plausible. For myself, I would love to see a scenario where Kylo thinks that Rey and Poe are dating, but in spite of that he ends up saving/helping Poe because of his love for Rey. And then it turns out that  Poe is gay/secretly married to Jessica Pava/Rey's brother or something like that. It would be like a nice mashup of Darcy helping Wickham because he's in love with Lizzie and that matters more than hating Wickham + the "He was her brother" moment of realization for Thornton in North and South. Perfection! ^^

@Darth Rowan

I watched the BBC version of P&P just last week.  Poe as Wickham was most definitely one of the first things that crossed my mind, and I wouldn’t be shocked at all if JJ went that route.  I seriously hope we don’t get any type of ‘love triangle’, even if it’s obvious who Rey will choose.  Still, this scenario seems very very plausible.  Or on a more comical note, if Poe is indeed Wickham, maybe Finn is Lydia?  Laughing
@IoJovi

You know, I was actually thinking that Finn and Rose can be Bingley and Jane, and Ben does something to help them, the way Darcy did to atone to Elizabeth. Laughing

But seriously I hope we don't get a Poe/Rey/Ben triangle. Poe is taking up enough screen time as is for a character who wasn't even supposed to make it out of TFA alive. The antis would also be unbearable. Just let him lead the Resistance and fight Hux in pew pew pew scenes.
rawpowah
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 2:13 pm

@Star Wars Connection I'm listening to the podcast right now and loving it. Good point about Cathy Jr. and Harreton as being similar to Reylo. I also didn't think that Sense and Sensibility could be compared to SW/Reylo... very interesting.
rawpowah
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by nickandnora on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 2:17 pm

@rawpowah wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@Darth Rowan wrote:
@nickandnora

@Darth Rowan

@IoJovi

You know, I was actually thinking that Finn and Rose can be Bingley and Jane, and Ben does something to help them, the way Darcy did to atone to Elizabeth. Laughing

But seriously I hope we don't get a Poe/Rey/Ben triangle. Poe is taking up enough screen time as is for a character who wasn't even supposed to make it out of TFA alive. The antis would also be unbearable. Just let him lead the Resistance and fight Hux in pew pew pew scenes.
@rawpowah

The thing I like about Elizabeth/Darcy/Wickham though is that it's not an actual love triangle (I myself also hate love triangles). He's more of a sounding board and confirmation of her worst suspicions about Darcy, as in: "Yes, that guy's an a**, let's talk about that!" but it quickly moves to: "Huh, you're kind of sketchy, but OK" to "Oh my god, are you seriously talking smack about Darcy when you're the WORST and I LOVE him?!" To me that's the equivalent of siding with Poe at first because he's with the Resistance and for no other reason, but then it quickly devolves from there.

I believe someone else once also compared the potential dynamic to Belle/Gaston/Beast, and I also think they could totally make that work as well.

nickandnora
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Teo oswald on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 3:04 pm

@rawpowah wrote:@Star Wars Connection I'm listening to the podcast right now and loving it. Good point about Cathy Jr. and Harreton as being similar to Reylo. I also didn't think that Sense and Sensibility could be compared to SW/Reylo... very interesting.
@rawpowah

maybe Persuasion, in some lines. for sure on the top 10 there is Pride and prejudice and the Phantom of the Opera Smile
Teo oswald
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 4:37 pm

@Teo oswald wrote:
@rawpowah wrote:@Star Wars Connection I'm listening to the podcast right now and loving it. Good point about Cathy Jr. and Harreton as being similar to Reylo. I also didn't think that Sense and Sensibility could be compared to SW/Reylo... very interesting.
@rawpowah

maybe Persuasion, in some lines. for sure on the top 10 there is Pride and prejudice and the Phantom of the Opera Smile
@Teo oswald

Persuasion did have one of the most romantic love letters ever.... maybe Benny boy will put his calligraphy to good use Razz
rawpowah
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Rowan on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 8:09 pm

Count me in as someone who doesn't want to see a love triangle between Ben/Rey/Poe. We've got enough to sort through as it is without triangles, ain't nobody got time for that.

@nickandnora wrote:
The thing I like about Elizabeth/Darcy/Wickham though is that it's not an actual love triangle (I myself also hate love triangles). He's more of a sounding board and confirmation of her worst suspicions about Darcy, as in: "Yes, that guy's an a**, let's talk about that!" but it quickly moves to: "Huh, you're kind of sketchy, but OK" to "Oh my god, are you seriously talking smack about Darcy when you're the WORST and I LOVE him?!" To me that's the equivalent of siding with Poe at first because he's with the Resistance and for no other reason, but then it quickly devolves from there.

I believe someone else once also compared the potential dynamic to Belle/Gaston/Beast, and I also think they could totally make that work as well.
@nickandnora

My read of it is that Lizzie had a massive crush on Wickham at one point in the story, so it is sort of a love triangle. It was never anything more profound than a crush, but she had "her head full of him and couldn't think of anything else" if I recall correctly - there are lots of references to how taken she is by him throughout the story, until she finally sees through him. Even her dad teases her about Wickham at one point.

For me that dynamic is distinctly different from the Caroline Bingley/Darcy/Lizzie situation, because although Caroline and Lizzie are set up as rivals for Darcy's attention, it was never a contest to begin with so there is no love triangle. Darcy always saw through Caroline, imo. He throws subtle shade at her when he says that he's not into women who are catty (I'm paraphrasing lol).

Still, I agree with you @nickandnora regarding the "sounding board" aspect of Wickham - on some level seeing how wrong she was about him helps her to realize that her first impression of Darcy was also mistaken. It would be interesting if that plays out with Ben/Rey/Poe, but I don't know about the Gaston = Poe angle of it. Belle was always repulsed by Gaston. ("You are positively primeval" is a sick burn btw XD)

@rawpowah wrote:
Persuasion did have one of the most romantic love letters ever.... maybe Benny boy will put his calligraphy to good use Razz
@rawpowah

OMG YES. IMO that calligraphy set is bound by the principle of Chekov's gun: it exists, therefore it must be put into use in the story at some point. u_u
And I can't think of a better use for it than a heartfelt old-timey love letter to Rey. If I saw this happening in IX I think I would turn into the human version of this gif:

That letter in Persuasion slays me. I mean seriously. You pierce my soul. *insert crying magic dolphin gif*
We included it in video for this podcast, actually:

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 10:26 pm

I honestly don't think there will be any love triangle. those things are set up from the start, not in the last 1/3 of the story.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Let The Past Die on Fri 16 Feb 2018, 4:38 pm

Finally managed to grab an hour to listen to your podcast. Thoroughly enjoyed listening to all your insights into the comparisons with the various books. I've read all the ones you've discussed, although it was a bit of an eye-opener to realise the last time I read some of them would have been over 30 years ago!

Pride and Prejudice is a constant, one I've read many times, in fact I think I've read all of them at least twice. I've always enjoyed Jane Austen's perspective take on human nature. I suppose without the modern day distractions we have in our day, in Jane's day it would have been much easier to people watch, and build the characters she has within her books.

SInce being a member of this board, reading analytical pieces about Rey and Ben and much more about the ST, plus listening to your podcasts and similar. Well I've now found myself whenever I read a book, or watch something, I'm now making a comparison and seeing if I can find any resemblance to Rey or Ben, or any theme that comes up. I went to see Black Panther on Tuesday, and found myself doing it then..and yes I found something... Lol

This board is a bad influence in only the nicest way possible lol!

Last edited by Let The Past Die on Fri 16 Feb 2018, 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Let The Past Die
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by giaciak2 on Fri 16 Feb 2018, 4:50 pm

@Star Wars Connection Did you do the podcast of Pride and Prejudice? I love Jane Austin ! It is certainly one of my favorite books. Congratulations for what you do. Great work!
giaciak2
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Let The Past Die on Fri 16 Feb 2018, 5:00 pm

The link is below @giaciak2

@Star Wars Connection wrote:

Pride and Prejudice and Reylo
In today’s episode we talk about the parallels between the Rey and Kylo Ren dynamics in the Star Wars sequel trilogy and seminal works of classic British literature. We begin with a focus on Pride and Prejudice, overviewing the similarities between the character design of Kylo Ren and the much beloved Mr.Darcy. We discuss the Rey and Kylo Ren enemies to lovers ROMANTIC DRAMA  promised by Rian Johnson, and how it compares to Lizzie and Darcy’s situation, right down to The Proposal of Doom.

In our overview of other key literary references, we briefly discuss Wuthering Heights and its parallels to Reylo - but not in the way you expect. We also talk the Anne of Green Gables and West Side Story Reylo connection.

We overview how themes of the heroine’s journey, female sexual awakening and exploration vs repression, virtue vs debauchery are portrayed in works like Jane Eyre, Sense and Sensibility, North and South, Pride and Prejudice - and in Rey’s character arc in the ST.

We discuss the revolutionary portrayal of female agency in works like Jane Eyre, and why agency is an essential character trait in Rey. We believe that Rey and Ben’s separation at the end of TLJ is a painful but necessary development to establish Rey’s independence. It is also a necessary catalyst for Kylo Ren’s further character development and their eventual romance.

Lastly, we contrast the approach to romance in Jane Austen’s work, including novels like Fanny Price and Persuasion, with Charlotte Brontë’s approach in Jane Eyre, and how it ties in with the Reylo dynamic.  

This is part 2 of our Literary References in Reylo podcast series. Part 1 of our discussion centers on Jane Eyre and North and South. You can find it here.

Other podcasts referenced:
SWC | Reylo 101: Why Reylo Belongs in Star Wars
SWC | Rey and Kylo Ren: Sex and Force Bonds
SWC | Visual Storytelling in The Force Awakens

Happy Valentine's Day! ^^
@Star Wars Connection

Let The Past Die
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by giaciak2 on Fri 16 Feb 2018, 6:06 pm

I love you I love you I love you
giaciak2
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Rowan on Fri 16 Feb 2018, 7:52 pm

@giaciak2 wrote:@Star Wars Connection Did you do the podcast of Pride and Prejudice? I love Jane Austin ! It is certainly one of my favorite books. Congratulations for what you do. Great work!

@giaciak2 Glad to hear you liked the episode! I forgot to link you to the breakdown on Tumblr:
spoiler tag due to size:

That "yo mama so rude" Darcy meme cracks me up every time.  lol!

My connection's slow so I won't upload the rest; you can see it on our Tumblr blog: http://starwarsconnection.tumblr.com/post/170880177659/pride-and-prejudice-and-reylo-literary
We also have enabled the really really bad automated subtitles. It transcribes REYLO into RELOJ, which is clock in Spanish, but it's still probably better than nothing.

Last edited by Darth Rowan on Sat 17 Feb 2018, 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added spoiler tag for size)

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 on Sat 17 Feb 2018, 2:35 pm

Wow I loved the comparison of reylo to catchy and hareton, as opposed to cathy and heathcliff. Brilliant! Couldn't get into the stories, Cathy and Heathcliff don't interest me but I do remember thinking cathy and hareton were great.

ALSO omg I freaked out when the Mariah Carey song I Still Believe came up beccausee I recently rediscovered my love for that song and I kept thinking omg this is my reylo ballad right here!! And then it's mentioned here! Glad I wasn't the only one wooh!!

If anyone needs a beautiful uplifting reylo song, this is IT!

You look in my eyes and I get emotional inside
I know it’s crazy but you still can touch my heart
And after all this time you think that I wouldn’t feel the same
But time melts into nothing, nothing's changed
I still believe
Someday you and me
Will find ourselves in love again
I had a dream
Someday you and me
Will find ourselves in love again

Last edited by rey09 on Sun 18 Feb 2018, 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total
rey09