ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 8

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 8 - Page 5 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 8

Post by Kessel on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 12:46 pm

I think there are some undeniable general parallels between BatB and Reylo's dynamic and there may be even more parallels we haven't seen yet, before the saga ends, but I think TFA shares similar tropes and parallels with several other fairytales/stories. Stories tend to repeat themselves...

Like others, I also never thought the BatB comparisons meant that Reylo would play out exactly like Belle's relationship with Beast did in BatB. It won't be because the stories are different. To be honest, I never thought other people who saw the parallels assumed that Reylo would play out exactly like BatB either. However, I'm very curious to see how the dynamic between Rey and Kylo will play out because I think some of the general concepts from BatB (mutual understanding, changing perspectives, forgiveness and compassion) are likely to feature in the ST.  I just can't see a satisfactory story being made out of a scenario where Rey and Kylo just remain bitter rivals who learn nothing from each other. If it's easy for them to hate each other, there's no real emotional investment or opportunity for character growth.

As for the MSW Ireland spoilers, I always thought the spoilers were more heavy on speculation than on pure fact, and MSW is backtracking some on it now. I think the most we can assume at this point is that Kylo probably makes his way to Ahch-to )something that was foreshadowed in TFA when he saw the island in Rey's head) and there is some kind of initial confrontation. However, what happens after this is still mostly up in the air.

Last edited by Kessel89 on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 12:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kessel
Kessel

Back to top Go down

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 8 - Page 5 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 8

Post by Guest on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 12:47 pm

Darth_Awakened wrote:Kill me if I understand any of it.

confused lol!
@Darth_Awakened

Me too Very Happy Can someone translate this to understandable English?

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 12:50 pm

SanghaRen wrote:
BastilaBey wrote:
Darth Dingbat wrote:There's something to be said for letting the work speak for itself, and letting people find whatever they find in it - both conscious and unconscious references, parallels, etc. Thousands of books have been written about Shakespeare's works, and luckily Shakespeare can't go on Twitter to answer anyone's inquiries with "to be honest, that scene was just filler, I have no idea what I'm doing most of the time lol".
@Darth Dingbat

Sing it, sister. Nonesuch and I had a discussion in one of our earlier podcasts about Star Wars as mythology, and why this obsession with what’s ‘canon’ and what’s ‘fanon’ is a little beside the point.

We also have to look at the medium and what subtext actually is. Many thousands of words have been written about Kylo carrying Rey on Takodana, but it’s just as plausible that many in the audience didn’t pick up on that as at all significant. It will never be ‘canon’ that Kylo carried Rey because he was roleplaying as Hades, or Erik, in that moment Wink And I’m sure if someone asked Pablo about it, he’d respond with something dismissive.

People have to have everything spilled out for them. The magic of imagination and being free in your head is gone. Apparently many were not given the time to be bored and hence to learn to daydream as a child. If there is one thing I am scared of is mind reading. So Kylo would have to behave or else I would hit him unconscious. My mind is my private garden.

Of all the people I personally know who watched TFA, none picked on Kylo carrying Rey, which sort of baffles me because that scene really struck me on my first viewing as a reference that I was so not expecting at that point in the movie - still believing they were cousins at that point. In a way it's nice too because most people see it as a plain scene while I see it as a special scene. I get more out of it, I win Very Happy
@SanghaRen

That's a really great way to think about it. And it applies to all fiction, doesn't it. It probably sounds weird, but from reading people's thoughts on books I've enjoyed and/or thought much about, I've even become rather disillusioned. Not with the work itself, but with the way the work almost doesn't seem to "exist" outside my own head. Multiple interpretations are the sign of a great and complex work, but it's given me something of an existential crisis - even as a writer - to see that often people don't agree even on the basic material laid out in the work. For instance, I know somebody whose book was lambasted on Amazon by a reader who managed to get something out of the book that was... the polar opposite of EVERYTHING I read in it. Seriously: it's like (the following is naturally a fictional example) the book was a comedy about kittens in a sleepy Danish town, and the reviewer's version was a tragedy about polar bears in a dystopian New York, and my friend was accused of hating polar bears which weren't even mentioned in the book. I don't know how that sort of thing is even possible. That one reviewer and many others I've seen afterwards shook my faith in many people's ability to connect with what they read.

I'm grateful for having made new friends and for having this forum to obsess with, but I've got to admit that I would probably be a lot happier with TFA if I'd never engaged in online fandom at all or read any further comments from JJ, Pablo or anyone. It's funny because no subsequent viewing has made me change my initial interpretations of the film, even when I've tried to watch it especially critically. But it was the Fandom Discourse(tm) that made me more doubtful, weary and lessened my enthusiasm somewhat.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 1:02 pm

So someone is mocking us on twitter? Just because we see a potential relationship developing between two characters in a movie?

Birdwoman
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 1:18 pm

Darth Dingbat wrote:

I'm grateful for having made new friends and for having this forum to obsess with, but I've got to admit that I would probably be a lot happier with TFA if I'd never engaged in online fandom at all or read any further comments from JJ, Pablo or anyone. It's funny because no subsequent viewing has made me change my initial interpretations of the film, even when I've tried to watch it especially critically. But it was the Fandom Discourse(tm) that made me more doubtful, weary and lessened my enthusiasm somewhat.

@Darth Dingbat

Agreed that ignorance really can be bliss, I only went looking for this stuff online because it was so clear to me from the get-go, but everything I read before seeing it 2 months after its release never brought it up. Not even any of the filthy minded nerds I call friends (who said either "Rey is awesome" or "it's a re-hash but really fun") brought it up. Falling down the rabbit hole led to some really awesome people and discussions in this place. But learning about the larger ecosystem of Fandom Discourse(™) as part of the even larger ecosystem of how completely screwed up we humans are with using the Internet for discussing/sharing information has been pretty disheartening. Between the jeering naysayers and even the "we're on your side but keep your expectations reasonable" crowd, you end up feeling like even if you trust your (based on logic and education) instincts, that you're in the minority and won't get what you want.

Last edited by snufkin on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZenBrainJam on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 1:24 pm

nonesuch wrote:
EchoBase wrote:https://twitter.com/makingstarwars/status/801023332598444032

I'm pretty sure we have lurkers Razz. Gosh, I am too old for this s***.
@EchoBase

Seriously though, what is that person even saying? That's completely incoherent to me.
@nonesuch
He/she is not a native english speaker (and probably veeeery young too). I didn't understand almost anything but I can relate to that difficult so well...
ZenBrainJam
ZenBrainJam
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 1:53 pm

@Darth Dingbat

I am sorry it lessened your enthusiasm. I understand you though. I came to the point of going alone to the movies and not share much of my enthusiasm with anyone. Last year, I was really enthusiastic about Mad Max. I made the mistake of sharing this with a couple of people who bashed it. One did not even see it but had decided that it could not be good because Mel Gibson was not in it. I live anyway in an environment where showing enthusiasm for a movie or a book is considered childish.

When it comes to reviews, I think that haters are more inclined to share their views and in a very vocal way than the others. It's become a main issue in our society. I try to avoid reading reviews because you never really know if it's not someone trolling. It's sad. But you are right that some people also fully misread stuff. A lack of analytical mind maybe? Or just the neeed to consume at all costs without taking the time to really digest what they consume? I have difficulties for instance to watch another movie every week in the cinema because if I like a movie, it stays in my mind for some time. Some call it obsession, which is not wrong, but I wonder what one gets out of superficially brushing over a movie, a book, etc.

The thing that kills my enthusiasm the most for TFA is the shipping war. So many ugly things happening in the world and people still find a way to add to it by raging virtual wars for what? The pairing of fictional characters. I don't get it.

And now I'll go watch my latest obsession: Lucifer. And I don't even want to check the shipping wars for that one or the hatred for the main character. I'll remain in my bubble of ignorance Smile
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynak on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 3:19 pm

I think it's better to ignore the mockery. mockery should never prevent us from enjoying ourselves and trusting our feelings and interpretations. Also, being Reylo fans doesn't make us the same, if some Reylos behave in a s*** way, it's up to them and we can't control what others say, no matter how stupid it is.

As for references and tropes, they have always been used in literature and movies but using references to common myths and tropes, or to certain movies, doesn't mean the movie using references is a remake or a carbon copy of the ones it references to. If people think that's how refereneces are used they are mistaken. Art, and good cinema is a form of art, has always contained references, but to produce something fresh and new as a result, everything has been told before but a talented writer takes all the stories in their background, the ones' they grew up with, not to produce a remake or to plagiarize anything, but to create something new. TFA is not a remake of BatB but I'm convinced it contains references to it, and the writers knew what they were doing when they used them, just like they did when they took that shot with Rey running down the stairs like
Cinderella. Is TFA a remake of Cinderella? Gosh, no, but the reference is there and what JJ said supports this.

I need to trust my own reading of stories, although I have many doubts too and am willing to change my views when I see proof they should be reconsidered, but what I learned about story telling academically and also as a reader and viewer should be able to help me understand  what I think I saw. Otherwise I wonder what they taught me at college, LOL.

For instance, I saw that scene in TFA where Rey looks at an old lady cleaning salvaged objects in front of her and wrote a meta explaining what I saw there, I thought that meant Rey was looking at her future, a life alone, doing always the same, without love or children, a lonely, loveless, childless life. Well, JJ's words proved later  this interpretation was right and this was his intention, this is what he meant and I am happy to have noticed it.

Of couse we speculate here and must be wrong many times, all of us, I'm aware of it, but we need to trust our understanding of the story. We can't tell what's to come, only pick up the clues the writers and director have left for us, and that's all. It's their story but I'd like to understand what they are telling the viewers. We can't let all that mockery make us doubt everything. One must keep an open mind and reconsider anything when necessary but not doubt everything all the time.

Last edited by Reynak on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 3:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reynak
Reynak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 3:20 pm

@Darth Dingbat and @SanghaRen, I agree with you both about there being a kind of beauty in the 'bubble of ignorance".  I actually don't read hardly anything Reylo or SW-related unless I see it here.  I keep up with Adam Driver's career, but those articles are frequently about Paterson, Girls or Silence, so I am basically spared all the asinine anti-Kylo, anti-Reylo, anti-AD nonsense because those "He got beat by a girl" trolls don't come to the Paterson articles.

So a in way I have already cocooned myself somewhat.  However, like you alluded to @Darth Dingbat, it has been an amazing experience on this forum meeting people and learning about new things, but there is a trade-off in the "every rose has its thorn" sense.  For me, ever since I was a kid, if I really loved a book or movie or TV show, I would always like to think of different ways that story could continue in a 'if you choose path A, this happens, but if you choose path B, this happens," and so on and so on.  It was like having a fanfic state-of-mind before fanfic was even a thing, lol.  At the same time, I am really into acting and the acting choices actors make, and I am really into interpreting the various meanings of a line or phrase.  It is really fun to "dive right into" material like this with other people, but I find that the more diving you do with others, the more fluid your own interpretation becomes.  The opportunity for oddball viewpoints become less and less as certain unspoken "truths" or "interpretations" begin to coalesce with the group of interpreters.

For example, when I saw TFA on my own, I never thought of Kylo as a virgin.  (Not trying to bring that up again.  Everyone has their positions.  Just using an example). But then there was a lot of talk about it, and I try to be open to others' viewpoints as much as possible, so then I started thinking, "Well, maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe he was a monk, etc., etc.," when my initial headcanons of him were not monklike.  Instead my head went into a million different directions.  Someone shredded his heart.  His girlfriend died.  The KoR threw him with a bunch of sex workers to make him callous, but he was still very much about pleasing the women, whoever they were because he wasn't made to be callous and because he had great respect for women and their power because he was raised by the toughest woman alive, Leia, lol.

But now when I think of a possible story I might want to write, I always feel like I need to make him a virgin or at least an emotional love virgin because I have this vague sense that that is the accepted interpretation.  Obviously, it doesn't have to be.  I can write what I want ... but when you have talked out things on this subject for like 11 months you do have doubts about your interpretations if they fall too outside the normal discourse.  Now maybe you should have doubts.  Maybe your interpretations were idiotic and needed corrections ... but having that open imaginative slate can be very fun and you lose that when you talk about something so much.  But maybe that is an okay trade-off for what you have gained in knowledge and connections.  It would be nice to be able to maintain both, and maybe a person can, maybe it's just the matter of mindset.  I just don't have that level of compartmentalizing ability at the moment. Very Happy
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MeadowofAshes on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 3:55 pm

Meh, let them mock. Who cares? Allusion is a standard literary device. There's allusion to Hitler in Hux's speech, to the crucifixion in Han's death, to Hamlet with the sun/son punning, and to The Abduction of Persephone with Rey's abduction. It's not irrational to see allusion to BatB when that particular character dynamic is what's been presented. They can mock all they like - all it shows is they're uneducated in the subject matter.
MeadowofAshes
MeadowofAshes
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 3:58 pm

@SoloSideCousin - once you get past the (inexplicably difficult) point of finding other people who agree with you on the "Did you see that?!" question is where we all start to diverge off. And that's where you get the debates like "Is Rey descended from any of the legacy characters?" or everybody's favorite, "Did Ben get to fool around with girls before getting packed off to his weird space monk uncle?" or "Does being a Darkside knight of evil on a mission preclude hooking up with people on Tinder?" What's interesting about this place is that other than the occasional dust up, people are open minded about looking at the pros and cons of different interpretations. Including what would if you choose Path A versus Path B, then what happens? I don't think so much about virgin or not, but WHAT GIRL?!  It never occurred to me that he might have also had visions of her until it was brought up and discussed here. That route answers a lot of questions very quickly and neatly. But I'm still curious if it would turn out to be my original interpretation  that he freaks out on Mitaka & pursues her because he assumes that she's an escaped villager from Tuanel. But then gets more intrigued because she's simply a concerned bystander who stepped in to protect a scared little droid. Either one is plausible at this point and there's always the 3rd possibility that the writers may never bother to explain it. We're just curious and want to discuss it, that's all it needs to be.  Unfortunately this is the era of Everybody is an A**hole Expert on the Internet, so most places you can't even have the type of discussion we have here. There was some ridiculous Huffington Post article about "40 Such Things that are Wrong" about TFA (guess which # was Rey being able to use a lightsaber?) that got passed around. Which read less like film criticism and more like another jerk showing off and ruining everybody else's fun.

Also this reminded me of something I read awhile back about JK Rowling and George Lucas

Can Anyone Stop J.K. Rowling From George Lucas-ing Harry Potter?

I also wonder if the different receptions to Lucas and Rowling is a matter of timing. Star Wars was a major force in the creation of modern geek fandom, but things were very different in the 70s and 80s, and still different in the early aughts of the prequel releases. A fandom culture that was obsessed with “canon” and trivia memorization has given way to a culture dominated by online commentary, fan theories, and original fan fic tales. Fans aren’t just expected to read and love a work, but to write meta essays on the series and then create their own art or stories about what they wish had happened differently. Fans are expected to meddle. In this context, Rowling is just another fan dismayed at the author’s mistakes — she called her decision to marry Hermione to Ron a lazy form of “wish fulfillment” — and offering her own additional “crazy fan theories” about the books.

Oh and as for the virgin question, the only thing that's important is that as with Han and Leia, he's likely clueless about women and on the path to dying young for stupid reasons until Rey comes along and kicks his a**.

Last edited by snufkin on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 3:59 pm

@Darth Dingbat

I know exactly how you feel.....felt like this a few days back after Rey Solo was resurrected for the umpteenth time...but then I go back to legends and re-read the material. A big chunk of legends is being brought back into canon.....maybe a few names, genders and planets have changed, but the stories are very similar.....and those stories definitely tell me what we're onto something and shouldn't give up just yet.....also, while we all have diverse opinions on the story arc, it has been fun to meet people with such a plethora of interests/qualifications.

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 3:59 pm

MeadowofAshes wrote:Meh, let them mock. Who cares? Allusion is a standard literary device. There's allusion to Hitler in Hux, to the crucifixion in Han's death, to Hamlet with the sun/son pinning, and to The Abduction of Persephone with Rey's abduction. It's not irrational to see allusion to BatB when that particular character dynamic is what's been presented. They can mock all they like - all it shows is they're uneducated in the subject matter.
@MeadowofAshes

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 8 - Page 5 2rm32b9
Maria Antonietta
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 4:01 pm

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 8 - Page 5 20f83sl

Back to top Go down

Post by Annwyn on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 4:02 pm

All right. I admit, it's late over here, and as I said, sadly, I don't have much time for the forum, for being online. For reading all your lovely posts that I adore. So I will probably sound like a dummy, I totally assume. Geez, I want to read all the posts but I am WAY to tired for it. I want my bed ^^

So... I am about to make a fool of myself, but I will assume.

The link of a tweet I clicked on, please, can they type/write english carefully? Seriously. Ok hold on... (re read it) Yeah sorry, maybe it is because I am tired beyond anything and I should hide in shame. Just wanna ZZZZzzzz.

I don't care what they say since JJ comment. Official. On an official product.

Guys, I'm ashmade beacause I come here, typing, missing everything, for once, I haven't been lurking because of my work. No time. But really, watching TFA, nothing will convince me that Rey and Kylo are not endgame, a reverse to Padme/Anakin. While I was lurking, and before JJ comments, I read somewhere already "he looks like a Prince when he unmasks, they gave him so much make up on". Hell, they did make BREAD to Adam's hair. So it could be fluffly? =)

Guys, I may seem like a moron, but I'll assume. There's no fluffy hait without a reason :p

Ok, nighty, now. The Reylo community reminds me of my ex shipping community... full of nice, THINKING and intelligent people. Wherever this ship leads us, you guys are amazing. Thank you.
Annwyn
Annwyn
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Annwyn on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 4:04 pm

Annwyn wrote:All right. I admit, it's late over here, and as I said, sadly, I don't have much time for the forum, for being online. For reading all your lovely posts that I adore. So I will probably sound like a dummy, I totally assume. Geez, I want to read all the posts but I am WAY to tired for it. I want my bed ^^

So... I am about to make a fool of myself, but I will assume.

The link of a tweet I clicked on, please, can they type/write english carefully? Seriously. Ok hold on... (re read it) Yeah sorry, maybe it is because I am tired beyond anything and I should hide in shame. Just wanna ZZZZzzzz.

Sorry for the mistypes etc. I mustb sleep. Love you guys. You are an awesome community to be part of. Now I'll come back later with a good night sleep and some intelligence back to my brain. You guys are awesome.

I don't care what they say since JJ comment. Official. On an official product.

Guys, I'm ashmade beacause I come here, typing, missing everything, for once, I haven't been lurking because of my work. No time. But really, watching TFA, nothing will convince me that Rey and Kylo are not endgame, a reverse to Padme/Anakin. While I was lurking, and before JJ comments, I read somewhere already "he looks like a Prince when he unmasks, they gave him so much make up on". Hell, they did make BREAD to Adam's hair. So it could be fluffly? =)

Guys, I may seem like a moron, but I'll assume. There's no fluffy hait without a reason :p

Ok, nighty, now. The Reylo community reminds me of my ex shipping community... full of nice, THINKING and intelligent people. Wherever this ship leads us, you guys are amazing. Thank you.
@Annwyn

Annwyn
Annwyn
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Tue 22 Nov 2016, 4:05 pm

WhatGirl wrote:ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 8 - Page 5 20f83sl
@WhatGirl

I MISSED THISSS!!! lol! lol! lol!
Maria Antonietta
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnolia_3.0 on Wed 23 Nov 2016, 4:21 am

Darth Dingbat wrote:I was looking at my father solving a crossword puzzle (his favourite hobby), and it suddenly occurred to me... Rian really loves crossword puzzles. He has posted pictures of them many times on Instagram and Twitter.

I'm pretty sure there's some kind of a puzzle or word game in Rian's Instagram pic. Whether anyone can solve it is another matter! But I don't think the "clues" are straightforward like Gotti + Chosen1 => the Skywalkers are like a mafia family, or "Zip Zealer" = a character's name. If the clues have logic, I'm pretty sure they have crossword puzzle logic. It has its own conventions, which I'm unfortunately not too familiar with as I'm not a crossword enthusiast, but...

For example, "zip" could be anything from:

http://crosswordtracker.com/clue/zip/
http://www.wordplays.com/crossword-solver/zip

For instance, "energy" + "life" in Chinese = "life energy"? The Force?

And as another example, an upturned box seems to be a common crossword clue for "on end".
@Darth Dingbat

I LOVED YOUR REASON! I PARTICULARLY, I SEE THE LETTERS AS MESSAGES NOT SENT, FUTURE CONNECTIONS (IT IS INTERESTING TO REMEMBER THAT IN BLOODLINE, READ LOST THE CONTACT WITH LUKE AND BEN) ... THERE ARE SO MANY POSSIBILITIES, ALL THIS LET ME TOO MUCH ENOUGH! LOL bounce geek
Magnolia_3.0
Magnolia_3.0
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnolia_3.0 on Wed 23 Nov 2016, 4:29 am

EchoBase wrote:ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 8 - Page 5 Img_8410
ARCHIVE: Discussion: Tweets/Instagram - 8 - Page 5 Img_8411

I don't know who Cheesus is, but she/he speaks out what's on my mind right now.
@EchoBase

I HAVE MORE OF CHESSUS FOR YOU! NOW WITH MATT MARTIN ... HAVE FUN
https://twitter.com/missingwords/status/799704330865549312
Magnolia_3.0
Magnolia_3.0
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 23 Nov 2016, 1:23 pm

MeadowofAshes wrote:Meh, let them mock. Who cares? Allusion is a standard literary device. There's allusion to Hitler in Hux's speech, to the crucifixion in Han's death, to Hamlet with the sun/son punning, and to The Abduction of Persephone with Rey's abduction. It's not irrational to see allusion to BatB when that particular character dynamic is what's been presented. They can mock all they like - all it shows is they're uneducated in the subject matter.

@MeadowofAshes

I've been reading about the "fake news" problem and one thing jumped out at me which seems appropriate for this topic, why people have so persistantly denied or been willfully ignorant, it's a behavior known as Motivated Reasoning. Which we knew - people will use their beliefs (headcanons) to interpret what is in front of them. To the degree that they're driven by protecting those beliefs counter to the truth or their own well being. This is a big part of why this discussion we are having is so difficult for many others to have, because it threatens some central held belief:

What is Motivated Reasoning? How Does It Work? Dan Kahan Answers

motivated cognition refers to the unconscious tendency of individuals to fit their processing of information to conclusions that suit some end or goal. Consider a classic example. In the 1950s, psychologists asked experimental subjects, students from two Ivy League colleges, to watch a film that featured a set of controversial officiating calls made during a football game between teams from their respective schools. The students from each school were more likely to see the referees’ calls as correct when it favored their school than when it favored their rival. The researchers concluded that the emotional stake the students had in affirming their loyalty to their respective institutions shaped what they saw on the tape.

The end or goal motivates the cognition in the sense that it directs mental operations—in this case, sensory perceptions; in others, assessments of the weight and credibility of empirical evidence, or performance of mathematical or logical computation—that we expect to function independently of that goal or end. But the normal connotation of “motive” as a conscious goal or reason for acting is actually out of place here and can be a source of confusion. The students wanted to experience solidarity with their institutions, but they didn’t treat that as a conscious reason for seeing what they saw. They had no idea (or so we are to believe; one needs a good experimental design to be sure this is so) that their perceptions were being bent in this way.

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Wed 23 Nov 2016, 3:17 pm

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/801111515302531073

I'm feeling a bit better about this one than I was the other day when Pablo said speculating Kylo as the Beast is reading a *lot* into it.

This time he says, go with what's in the film. No debunk on romance at all. There's no stopping that annoying Tweeter, but at least my heart skip/anxiety has been subdued... Laughing
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Wed 23 Nov 2016, 3:40 pm

IoJovi wrote:https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/801111515302531073

I'm feeling a bit better about this one than I was the other day when Pablo said speculating Kylo as the Beast is reading a *lot* into it.

This time he says, go with what's in the film. No debunk on romance at all. There's no stopping that annoying Tweeter, but at least my heart skip/anxiety has been subdued... Laughing
@IoJovi

LOL
Thanks Smile
I finally got a confirmation for my yesterday's doubts. Actually someone already posted the tweet yesterday over here - and it seemed that no one paid attention.
Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynak on Wed 23 Nov 2016, 3:43 pm

"Reading a LOT" is an ambiguous thing to say, he's neither debunking nor validating anything. That's what he has to do because it isn't his work to give away plot points. If it was a crazy idea he would have said so like he did with other things. If he had said "reading TOO MUCH" perhaps I'd be a bit worried but not with what he said.

Last edited by Reynak on Sun 27 Nov 2016, 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Reynak
Reynak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by AceofWands on Wed 23 Nov 2016, 7:54 pm

People who see a potential romance are indeed reading a lot, so that's true. Ha ha.
AceofWands
AceofWands
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide on Sat 26 Nov 2016, 10:54 pm

Darth_Awakened wrote:
Darth Dingbat wrote:I was looking at my father solving a crossword puzzle (his favourite hobby), and it suddenly occurred to me... Rian really loves crossword puzzles. He has posted pictures of them many times on Instagram and Twitter.

I'm pretty sure there's some kind of a puzzle or word game in Rian's Instagram pic. Whether anyone can solve it is another matter! But I don't think the "clues" are straightforward like Gotti + Chosen1 => the Skywalkers are like a mafia family, or "Zip Zealer" = a character's name. If the clues have logic, I'm pretty sure they have crossword puzzle logic. It has its own conventions, which I'm unfortunately not too familiar with as I'm not a crossword enthusiast, but...

For example, "zip" could be anything from:

http://crosswordtracker.com/clue/zip/
http://www.wordplays.com/crossword-solver/zip

For instance, "energy" + "life" in Chinese = "life energy"? The Force?

And as another example, an upturned box seems to be a common crossword clue for "on end".
@Darth Dingbat

Could be.

Also, John Gotti as a capo (head in Italian) - the term "capo" is used often for the mafia bosses (aka godfathers) - but it simply means head of a family.

Our Italian friends should correct me if I just said something wrong.
@Darth_Awakened

Gotti's son wrote a book called Shadow of my Father. Rian has the initials TSF in that puzzle. Ep 8 name something like- The Shadow of the Father? The Shadow of the Force?
ReyofLightSide
ReyofLightSide
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum