ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors -14

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors -14  - Page 5 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors -14

Post by Helix on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 10:09 am

If Rey's new hairstyle in 8 just removes the lower buns, I wonder if she'll completely abandon them in 9 and have all of her hair down. Completely shedding that old life, so to speak... or they could just keep a bun to look Star War-sy. Razz
Helix
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors -14  - Page 5 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors -14

Post by kassadin on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 10:11 am

@Helix wrote:If Rey's new hairstyle in 8 just removes the lower buns, I wonder if she'll completely abandon them in 9 and have all of her hair down. Completely shedding that old life, so to speak... or they could just keep a bun to look Star War-sy. Razz
@Helix

Who knows, maybe it's a ponytail. She looks gorgeous but also a bit scary I must admit Smile

Last edited by kassadin on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
kassadin
kassadin
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 10:12 am

@panki wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@Rei of Sunshine wrote:I don't know how to feel with the constant marketing of this new "trio". 

I know it's what people want to see, and LFL can't really market Kylo and Rey too much, just the odd movie poster teasers and such, and post movie release toy boxes.

But I think LFL showing this "trio" will probably disapoint people if Rey, Finn and Poe dont really spend significant time together or have developments together. We already know she's spending that development with Kylo and Luke instead.
@Rei of Sunshine

Then again, they're all looking in different directions... not that I expect people to read anything into that.

I like Poe but I'm not going to lie, I'm not a huge fan of merchandise pushing him as one of the leads of this trilogy when he's clearly not. He got a few minutes of screentime in TFA and never even met Rey (in the film). If he's suddenly promoted to a lead in the future films, it's getting mighty crowded in the main characters department.
@Darth Dingbat

I'm in the minority here bit I feel we didn't get enough of Poe in TFA, especially considering Oscar Isaac is such an outstanding actor....and with the character's comic series doing so well (was initially only supposed to be a 7-comic series and now it is reached the 11th issue and going strong), its obvious he has a large fan following so they'll be silly to just ignore that and relegate his character to the role of sidekick...I'll be happy if he gets more screen time.... going by the rumors, I think there will be three plots-

- Force plot - Rey, Kylo and Luke
- Resistance plot (secret mission #1) - Finn, KMT, Phasma
-Resistance plot (secret mission #2) - Laura Dern, Poe, (Leia?)

On a separate note, I think Finn's shirt is a callback to Han's shirt in ANH.....after all, he sneaks on the DS with Luke and rescues Leia....maybe this is a hint that Finn will sneak on a star destroyer with KMT in episode 8?

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors -14  - Page 5 Starwarsday1screen
@panki

Oh, I agree on all that - Oscar is really charismatic, I enjoy the Poe comics, and I know why the character is appealing. I'm just thinking more in terms of story, you know: if you've planned, say, a trilogy that follows the adventures of Mary, Susan, Tom and Harry, it seems odd if you suddenly shuffle your plans after one installment and decide to turn Tom's friend Bill into another lead character - not just a major supporting character, but a lead - with a full character arc and plot of his own... if this wasn't originally planned.

I'm not worried about the large cast of characters; think of something like LOTR, lots of important characters and multiple plot strands. But they can't all be leads. And LOTR was more of an ensemble piece with less emphasis on "personal" drama than SW. So far it seems like reports of TLJ have promised everyone more screentime, with the additions of Luke and KMT in big new roles. That's why I feel it's getting a bit crowded. Unless, of course, it turns into more of an ensemble piece like LOTR.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 10:15 am

I think the main storylines are going to be Rey/Kylo - with Luke in a similar role to Obi Wan in the OT - and Finn/KMT. The others will provide support.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 10:19 am

Rey appears to be wearing something similar to her old Jakku outfit and arm wrappings on that new TLJ product packaging instead of the grey tunic and sleeve-like arm warmers she wore at the end of TFA. Seems odd she'd change back... is her new TLJ outfit more like her old outfit?  I don't know if it means anything or if they just photoshopped a pic of her in her old outfit? Just seems curious.

I really like her hair; it looks nice half up and it's still practical, but makes her look more mature. It does look like she removed a bun or two. It's hard to tell how long her hair is, but it looks like it might be shoulder length (there's a loose bit hanging over her left shoulder)? Although ng that might be her bangs/fringe. Based on the size of her buns, I expected her hair to be fairly long.

Last edited by Kessel89 on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 10:23 am; edited 3 times in total
Kessel
Kessel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 10:20 am

@motherofpearl1 wrote:I think the main storylines are going to be Rey/Kylo - with Luke in a similar role to Obi Wan in the OT - and Finn/KMT. The others will provide support.
@motherofpearl1

That's what I think too. What people have to remember is it's just marketing, just like it was for TFA. And having Finn, Rey, and Poe on there gives kids from every background and diversity an awesome opportunity to place themselves in the Star Wars world, which I love. The marketing won't give any of the plotline away, just like it didn't do with TFA. LucasFilm is ninja-stealthy when it comes to guarding their secrets and plans. Certain government officials could take a leaf or two out of their book. Wink I was kind of rooting for Rey with her hair blowing in the breeze, but I am sure we will get a bit of that in TLJ.

Back to top Go down

Post by nemapasara on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 10:40 am

I just noticed that their poses look similar to the ones in those SWC badge art. Poe's is actually the exact same, just flipped. Finn's posture is just a little different. Rey's got the most changes, the only thing that actually seems the same is the way she's holding the lightsaber and that she's the only one facing forward.

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors -14  - Page 5 Swbadd10
nemapasara
nemapasara
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 10:46 am

It might be that Rey undergoes a 2nd costume change in TLJ. 1st is her costume at the end of TFA, and 2nd is she dons something more familiar... But hey who knows.
Rei of Sunshine
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by nemapasara on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 11:04 am

@Rei of Sunshine wrote:It might be that Rey undergoes a 2nd costume change in TLJ. 1st is her costume at the end of TFA, and 2nd is she dons something more familiar... But hey who knows.
@Rei of Sunshine

The first outfit probably isn't practical for any kind of training.
nemapasara
nemapasara
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 11:07 am

@nemapasara wrote:
@Rei of Sunshine wrote:It might be that Rey undergoes a 2nd costume change in TLJ. 1st is her costume at the end of TFA, and 2nd is she dons something more familiar... But hey who knows.
@Rei of Sunshine

@nemapasara

Or yknow... she probably got the 1st outfit wet by fallin into the sea... Or it suffered some damage while fighting kff sea monsters and space chickens...But god forbid she gets a Padme Bare-midriff moment... ugh
Rei of Sunshine
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by nemapasara on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 11:11 am

@Rei of Sunshine wrote:
@nemapasara wrote:
@Rei of Sunshine

@nemapasara

Or yknow... she probably got the 1st outfit wet by fallin into the sea... Or it suffered some damage while fighting kff sea monsters and space chickens...But god forbid she gets a Padme Bare-midriff moment... ugh
@Rei of Sunshine

Didn't MSW report that her hair was already down in the cliff scene?
nemapasara
nemapasara
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 11:19 am

@nemapasara wrote:
@Rei of Sunshine wrote:
@nemapasara wrote:
@Rei of Sunshine

@nemapasara

@Rei of Sunshine

@nemapasara

Honestly, I am not sure. Can't remember all the details to MSW leaks and rumors.
Rei of Sunshine
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 11:32 am

@Rei of Sunshine wrote:
@nemapasara wrote:
@Rei of Sunshine

@nemapasara

@Rei of Sunshine

Who cares if we get a shirtless Kylo?
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 11:38 am

I really hope they don't do typical trashy fanservice things to Rey. Would be totally against everything her character has stood for, imo.

I mean I doubt they would, but AOTC flashbacks.
Helix
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 11:48 am

@nemapasara wrote:
@Rei of Sunshine wrote:
@nemapasara wrote:
@Rei of Sunshine

@nemapasara

@Rei of Sunshine

@nemapasara

I think MSW reported it without any context of any scene. It was just a report on Luke's and Rey's costumes and in Rey's case hairstyle.
Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 12:06 pm

@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@panki wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@Rei of Sunshine wrote:I don't know how to feel with the constant marketing of this new "trio". 

I know it's what people want to see, and LFL can't really market Kylo and Rey too much, just the odd movie poster teasers and such, and post movie release toy boxes.

But I think LFL showing this "trio" will probably disapoint people if Rey, Finn and Poe dont really spend significant time together or have developments together. We already know she's spending that development with Kylo and Luke instead.
@Rei of Sunshine

Then again, they're all looking in different directions... not that I expect people to read anything into that.

I like Poe but I'm not going to lie, I'm not a huge fan of merchandise pushing him as one of the leads of this trilogy when he's clearly not. He got a few minutes of screentime in TFA and never even met Rey (in the film). If he's suddenly promoted to a lead in the future films, it's getting mighty crowded in the main characters department.
@Darth Dingbat

I'm in the minority here bit I feel we didn't get enough of Poe in TFA, especially considering Oscar Isaac is such an outstanding actor....and with the character's comic series doing so well (was initially only supposed to be a 7-comic series and now it is reached the 11th issue and going strong), its obvious he has a large fan following so they'll be silly to just ignore that and relegate his character to the role of sidekick...I'll be happy if he gets more screen time.... going by the rumors, I think there will be three plots-

- Force plot - Rey, Kylo and Luke
- Resistance plot (secret mission #1) - Finn, KMT, Phasma
-Resistance plot (secret mission #2) - Laura Dern, Poe, (Leia?)

On a separate note, I think Finn's shirt is a callback to Han's shirt in ANH.....after all, he sneaks on the DS with Luke and rescues Leia....maybe this is a hint that Finn will sneak on a star destroyer with KMT in episode 8?

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors -14  - Page 5 Starwarsday1screen
@panki

Oh, I agree on all that - Oscar is really charismatic, I enjoy the Poe comics, and I know why the character is appealing. I'm just thinking more in terms of story, you know: if you've planned, say, a trilogy that follows the adventures of Mary, Susan, Tom and Harry, it seems odd if you suddenly shuffle your plans after one installment and decide to turn Tom's friend Bill into another lead character - not just a major supporting character, but a lead - with a full character arc and plot of his own... if this wasn't originally planned.

I'm not worried about the large cast of characters; think of something like LOTR, lots of important characters and multiple plot strands. But they can't all be leads. And LOTR was more of an ensemble piece with less emphasis on "personal" drama than SW. So far it seems like reports of TLJ have promised everyone more screentime, with the additions of Luke and KMT in big new roles. That's why I feel it's getting a bit crowded. Unless, of course, it turns into more of an ensemble piece like LOTR.
@Darth Dingbat

Going by the rumors, I do wonder if they're going for an LOTR scenario...where Rey and Kylo are the actual leads of the story with everyone else supporting them...so I think the screen time will be divided accordingly.

And on the topic of LOTR, if we put aside our two heroes, we hae a Saruman-like Snoke and a Gandalf-like Luke....while the rest of the characters (Finn, KMT, Poe etc) are like the rest of the fellowship....and if you think about it, Leia is a Galadriel-like character who is powerful but keeps herself in check....and in my head-canon, BDT would make an amazing Boromir like character....though I wonder who would be Balrog? Unkar? Wink

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 12:14 pm

RandomObserver wrote:
@motherofpearl1 wrote:I think the main storylines are going to be Rey/Kylo - with Luke in a similar role to Obi Wan in the OT - and Finn/KMT. The others will provide support.
@motherofpearl1

That's what I think too. What people have to remember is it's just marketing, just like it was for TFA. And having Finn, Rey, and Poe on there gives kids from every background and diversity an awesome opportunity to place themselves in the Star Wars world, which I love. The marketing won't give any of the plotline away, just like it didn't do with TFA. LucasFilm is ninja-stealthy when it comes to guarding their secrets and plans. Certain government officials could take a leaf or two out of their book. ;) I was kind of rooting for Rey with her hair blowing in the breeze, but I am sure we will get a bit of that in TLJ.

@RandomObserver

The bit in bold really is it, especially after the original bullshit of not having Rey toys. This is partially about giving kids toys where they can see themselves, especially as heroes. Used to see it all the time as an ESL teacher and trying to find materials that reflected my students back to them, that stuff is powerful.

Other thoughts, so maybe somebody teaches her the ways of fabulous hair?? Speaking of which, the SW related Twitter feeds I follow (which all overlap with politics so it's never just SW realted) have include more than a few comments dragging him not appearing on the box. Which sure, not the hero and will be held back for dramatic on screen reveal. I'm sure most of it is related to the Hasbro business. But I’m about as hardcore feminist and liberal as it comes and I’m always puzzled by the hate against that character as some kind of demonstration of ones political values. Especially when this place has certainly taught me that there are a lot of fans who self identify with him and that’s not because they’re wearing Fedora wearing MRAs. He’s hardly an avatar for real world Internet fascists that a lot of people seem to think that he is.

Certain government officials could take a leaf or two out of their book – having spent my entire childhood and adolescence being told that I had to watch everything I did because one of my parents had security clearance, that statement made me LOL in agreement

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Krafty on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 12:14 pm

@motherofpearl1 wrote:
@Rei of Sunshine wrote:
@nemapasara wrote:
@Rei of Sunshine

@nemapasara

@Rei of Sunshine

Who cares if we get a shirtless Kylo?
@motherofpearl1

Well, that has been floating around for a while, I think.
Wink I'm not opposed.  

@Helix wrote:I really hope they don't do typical trashy fanservice things to Rey. Would be totally against everything her character has stood for, imo.

I mean I doubt they would, but AOTC flashbacks.
@Helix

I think Rey will have some "pretty moments" I can't think of a better way to put it. I'm not talking like Padme's bare midriff and whatever. I'm saying like often times in films when they are trying to indicate two people are suited for each other they will highlight their respective flattering gender traits. Somebody could probably explain it better, but possibility of Rey being presented as more feminine can indicate things like that.
But who knows? Confus
Krafty
Krafty
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 12:23 pm

@Krafty

I'm all for Rey being presented as strong while still feminine. There's this prevalent idea that strong women can't be feminine ( or even have romantic love ) and I hope they stay away from that idea. Rey can be both.

Helix
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 12:33 pm

@Helix wrote:@Krafty

I'm all for Rey being presented as strong while still feminine. There's this prevalent idea that strong women can't be feminine ( or even have romantic love ) and I hope they stay away from that idea. Rey can be both.

@Helix

OMG. THANK YOU. This.

The best thing they can do for the girls out there is show that it's okay to be both strong and feminine. I have a thing about writing women who are self-sufficient and strong, but being feminine doesn't weaken them. The Gold Bikini, on the other hand... as long as she's not sexualized and her gentler moments are organic to the story line, I think Rey deserves some pretty moments, even if it's an Elizabeth Bennett standing on the edge of a cliff, hair blowing in the wind. As long as she kicks a** and is true to who she is, she can get her girl on. I need to see Kylo respond to it too. I mean, he pretty much did in TFA, but I have a feeling that we'll get to see a lot more of that. Women can be beautiful AND strong. Just look at Michelle Obama.

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 12:34 pm

@snufkin wrote:
RandomObserver wrote:
@motherofpearl1

That's what I think too. What people have to remember is it's just marketing, just like it was for TFA. And having Finn, Rey, and Poe on there gives kids from every background and diversity an awesome opportunity to place themselves in the Star Wars world, which I love. The marketing won't give any of the plotline away, just like it didn't do with TFA. LucasFilm is ninja-stealthy when it comes to guarding their secrets and plans. Certain government officials could take a leaf or two out of their book. Wink I was kind of rooting for Rey with her hair blowing in the breeze, but I am sure we will get a bit of that in TLJ.

@RandomObserver

The bit in bold really is it, especially after the original bullshit of not having Rey toys. This is partially about giving kids toys where they can see themselves, especially as heroes. Used to see it all the time as an ESL teacher and trying to find materials that reflected my students back to them, that stuff is powerful.

Other thoughts, so maybe somebody teaches her the ways of fabulous hair?? Speaking of which, the SW related Twitter feeds I follow (which all overlap with politics so it's never just SW realted) have include more than a few comments dragging him not appearing on the box. Which sure, not the hero and will be held back for dramatic on screen reveal. I'm sure most of it is related to the Hasbro business. But I’m about as hardcore feminist and liberal as it comes and I’m always puzzled by the hate against that character as some kind of demonstration of ones political values. Especially when this place has certainly taught me that there are a lot of fans who self identify with him and that’s not because they’re wearing Fedora wearing MRAs. He’s hardly an avatar for real world Internet fascists that a lot of people seem to think that he is.

Certain government officials could take a leaf or two out of their book – having spent my entire childhood and adolescence being told that I had to watch everything I did because one of my parents had security clearance, that statement made me LOL in agreement

@snufkin

Regarding the bolded: oh my God, yes. I'm so incredibly tired of people seeing Kylo as nothing but a simplistic representation of toxic masculinity. I mean, yes, "toxic masculinity" is at least part of why he's where he is - even RJ's Robert Bly influence attests to that, as Bly was largely focused on healing masculinity. But if I have to see yet another person confidently state that the ST is about a woman and men of colour banding together to symbolically destroy the evil white man, I'm going to scream. I honestly keep seeing iterations of this reading of the trilogy.

Not only is the character a lot more complex than that, not only is he the Solo-Skywalker of the trilogy, and not only is Bly about healing masculinity, not killing it - but it would seem like an incredibly poor business strategy to go for such a simplistic message, considering that the majority of Star Wars fans are still white men, and will likely remain the majority for quite some time.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 12:40 pm

@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@snufkin wrote:
RandomObserver wrote:
@motherofpearl1

@RandomObserver

@snufkin

Regarding the bolded: oh my God, yes. I'm so incredibly tired of people seeing Kylo as nothing but a simplistic representation of toxic masculinity. I mean, yes, "toxic masculinity" is at least part of why he's where he is - even RJ's Robert Bly influence attests to that, as Bly was largely focused on healing masculinity. But if I have to see yet another person confidently state that the ST is about a woman and men of colour banding together to symbolically destroy the evil white man, I'm going to scream. I honestly keep seeing iterations of this reading of the trilogy.

Not only is the character a lot more complex than that, not only is he the Solo-Skywalker of the trilogy, and not only is Bly about healing masculinity, not killing it - but it would seem like an incredibly poor business strategy to go for such a simplistic message, considering that the majority of Star Wars fans are still white men, and will likely remain the majority for quite some time.
@Darth Dingbat

Thank you ladies, one thing I love about the new SW trilogy is how diverse it is. Life isn't a bunch of white guys sitting around a table drinking iced teas. It's diverse cultures, and strong personalities. I love how they've introduced Poe as a gay character. He transcends the typical stereotype, as does Rey, as does Finn And especially Kylo Ren. They are all their own people who choose their own paths, but they're layered and nuanced, which is AWESOME. It's time to kick preconceived notions of who people are out the door and usher in a new era of acceptance and intriguing characters. I love Bly too, BTW!

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 12:40 pm

Omggg I loveeee her hair!!! She looks SO much like an elf from LOTR lolll #obsessed
rey09
rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Pyro Nebula on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 12:42 pm

@Helix wrote:If Rey's new hairstyle in 8 just removes the lower buns, I wonder if she'll completely abandon them in 9 and have all of her hair down. Completely shedding that old life, so to speak... or they could just keep a bun to look Star War-sy. Razz
@Helix

I'm wondering the same thing. Maybe Rey and Kylo will have matching hairstyles. The Reylo style. lol!

Pyro Nebula
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Hasi on Thu 16 Feb 2017, 1:05 pm

OMG Rey looks beautiful! Those dirty Reylos were also right about the fact that she will wear a different hairstyle as a symbol of her coming of age story. I'm really starting to suspect that some of them are mind controlling JJ, Rian and the rest of tptb to make them film a Reylo version of the next two movies.
Also, she's wearing the same clothes of the photo that showed that new tiny Rey figurine! The grey jacket/vest with the black shirt and the white armbands are definetely the same, and they're completely different from her Ahch-To clothes at the end of tfa, especially the long pants and the boots. Don't remember if it was from Hasbro? Someone said that the figurine's hair were different but it was impossible to see...this photo answers that too. I am sooooo excited!
Hasi
Hasi
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum