ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors -14

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors -14  - Page 37 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors -14

Post by DarthRen on Sun 26 Mar - 23:55

@Kyla Ren wrote:
@DarthRen wrote:I read one post about Kylo's role to be cut because unexpected unpopularity. Sounds like nonsense to me. Given what we've learned so far. Poe's role and BB-8's role will have larger size and that's what i heard about re-written roles.
@DarthRen

Where did you read that?  I think Kylo is very popular.
@Kyla Ren

Either twitter or tumblr. I did know that Poe and BB-8 will have sizeably larger roles due to their popularity but didn't heard this. Probably just nonsense rumour.
DarthRen
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors -14  - Page 37 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors -14

Post by Kyla Ren on Sun 26 Mar - 23:58

Oh, I see.  Is it true that his toys weren't selling?  Or is that just something that someone made up?
Kyla Ren
Kyla Ren
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by BenRey on Mon 27 Mar - 0:21

@Kyla Ren wrote:Oh, I see.  Is it true that his toys weren't selling?  Or is that just something that someone made up?
@Kyla Ren

http://uproxx.com/hitfix/why-on-earth-did-star-wars-insiders-think-kids-would-relate-to-kylo-ren-over-rey/
BenRey
BenRey
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Mon 27 Mar - 0:28

I thought I read something where Kylo was still a big seller, just after Rey. Rey was the hot ticket for TFA toys.
Helix
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Mon 27 Mar - 0:31

This makes me think of what Daisy said regarding Rey's journey in TLJ - she said people might 'not like' the direction they intend to take her in.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyla Ren on Mon 27 Mar - 0:33

@BenRey wrote:
@Kyla Ren wrote:Oh, I see.  Is it true that his toys weren't selling?  Or is that just something that someone made up?
@Kyla Ren

http://uproxx.com/hitfix/why-on-earth-did-star-wars-insiders-think-kids-would-relate-to-kylo-ren-over-rey/
@BenRey

Thanks for the link.  That's interesting.
Kyla Ren
Kyla Ren
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyla Ren on Mon 27 Mar - 0:35

@DarthRen wrote:
@Kyla Ren wrote:
@DarthRen wrote:I read one post about Kylo's role to be cut because unexpected unpopularity. Sounds like nonsense to me. Given what we've learned so far. Poe's role and BB-8's role will have larger size and that's what i heard about re-written roles.
@DarthRen

@Kyla Ren

Either twitter or tumblr. I did know that Poe and BB-8 will have sizeably larger roles due to their popularity but didn't heard this. Probably just nonsense rumour.
@DarthRen

I think all the new characters are pretty popular.  I guess I have a hard time imagining Kylo not being popular because he's my favorite character not just from TFA, but from all the Star Wars movies.
Kyla Ren
Kyla Ren
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Mon 27 Mar - 0:45

I had a hard time finding figures of either of them in stores around the time of TFAs release. Clearly it wasn't Constable Zuvio who stood out to audiences. Laughing The idea that boys don't wanna play with figures of women is idiotic, I still have an Ellie Sattler from the Jurassic Park line.. Not to mention Rey is my favorite SW character.

There's still Zuvios at my local Wal mart...
Helix
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Mon 27 Mar - 0:58

@Helix wrote:I had a hard time finding figures of either of them in stores around the time of TFAs release. Clearly it wasn't Constable Zuvio who stood out to audiences. Laughing The idea that boys don't wanna play with figures of women is idiotic, I still have an Ellie Sattler from the Jurassic Park line.. Not to mention Rey is my favorite SW character.

There's still Zuvios at my local Wal mart...
@Helix

They're even discounting the possibility that girls play with action figures as well, not just barbie dolls.... Rolling Eyes I preferred action figures as a kid, with GI Joe and He-man characters being my favourite (and I liked the fact that we got female action figures in both those series as well)
Maybe Zuvio will become a collector's item someday Razz

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen on Mon 27 Mar - 0:59

@Kyla Ren wrote:
@DarthRen wrote:
@Kyla Ren wrote:
@DarthRen

@Kyla Ren

@DarthRen

I think all the new characters are pretty popular.  I guess I have a hard time imagining Kylo not being popular because he's my favorite character not just from TFA, but from all the Star Wars movies.
@Kyla Ren

Mine too, well Darth Vader might be a bit ahead but I just love emo Skywalkers turning to the Dark Side of the Force. Chou
DarthRen
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyla Ren on Mon 27 Mar - 1:02

@DarthRen wrote:
@Kyla Ren wrote:
@DarthRen wrote:
@Kyla Ren wrote:
@DarthRen

@Kyla Ren

@DarthRen

@Kyla Ren

Mine too, well Darth Vader might be a bit ahead but I just love emo Skywalkers turning to the Dark Side of the Force. Chou
@DarthRen

I like Darth Vader a lot, too, but for me Kylo is the ultimate emo Dark Side Skywalker. Laughing
Kyla Ren
Kyla Ren
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Mon 27 Mar - 1:03

In truth, nobody knows the real sales figures for anything. There's absolutely no proof (except Kylo haters' word) that Kylo didn't sell - and nobody knows whether Rey outsold Kylo, either. There were a lot more different products in different categories for Kylo, so the comparison would be difficult to begin with. The only thing that is a fact is that there was a big demand for Rey merchandise, which they should have been prepared for but apparently weren't.

The source for that article was some blog called Sweatpants and Coffee, whose source in turn was Heroic Girls, a non-profit promoting positive role models for girls. This non-profit's founder claims to have spoken with "Disney people", who told him that they're "stuck with vast amounts of Kylo Ren product that is not moving". This is the only source for this claim. What is the likelihood of Disney's official representatives telling some random non-profit that their products aren't selling? Come on. He should have at least referenced an anonymous source at Hasbro or something, to sound more believable.

Please note that Rey being popular =/= Kylo not selling. Both Rey and Kylo items seemed to top bestseller lists, anyway.

Last edited by Darth Dingbat on Mon 27 Mar - 1:25; edited 1 time in total
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Mon 27 Mar - 1:05

@Kyla Ren

I think its a silly rumor.....Kylo's action figures definitely sell really well everywhere....as for the others, I can only speak for where I live- but the figures that sell well here are Rey, Kylo, Vader (after RO), Poe, BB-8 and funnily Kanan Jarrus.

Last edited by panki on Mon 27 Mar - 1:08; edited 2 times in total

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyla Ren on Mon 27 Mar - 1:06

@Darth Dingbat wrote:In truth, nobody knows the real sales figures for anything. There's absolutely proof (except Kylo haters' word) that Kylo didn't sell - and nobody knows whether Rey outsold Kylo, either. There were a lot more different products in different categories for Kylo, so the comparison would be difficult to begin with. The only thing that is a fact is that there was a big demand for Rey merchandise, which they should have been prepared for but apparently weren't.

The source for that article was some blog called Sweatpants and Coffee, whose source in turn was Heroic Girls, a non-profit promoting positive role models for girls. This non-profit's founder claims to have spoken with "Disney people", who told him that they're "stuck with vast amounts of Kylo Ren product that is not moving". This is the only source for this claim. What is the likelihood of Disney's official representatives telling some random non-profit that their products aren't selling? Come on. He should have at least referenced an anonymous source at Hasbro or something, to sound more believable.

Please note that Rey being popular =/= Kylo not selling. Both Rey and Kylo items seemed to top bestseller lists, anyway.
@Darth Dingbat

Those are all good points.  And the writer of that article should have used a proofreader.
Kyla Ren
Kyla Ren
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Mon 27 Mar - 1:11

@Darth Dingbat wrote:In truth, nobody knows the real sales figures for anything. There's absolutely proof (except Kylo haters' word) that Kylo didn't sell - and nobody knows whether Rey outsold Kylo, either. There were a lot more different products in different categories for Kylo, so the comparison would be difficult to begin with. The only thing that is a fact is that there was a big demand for Rey merchandise, which they should have been prepared for but apparently weren't.

@Darth Dingbat

I have a young child and young nieces and nephews and bunch of my child's schoolmate birthday parties to buy for, so I am in the toy aisles in places like Target a lot.  In 2015 and early 2016, I could not find Kylo and Rey to save my life.  Lots of other characters, but no figurines of those two, also no Funko Pop dolls in places like Barnes and Nobles where they have a wide and obscure variety.  Again other TFA characters, but no Kylo and Rey.  This Christmas Kylo and Rey were available.  If anything, they made more of Kylo and Rey because they ran out last year.  And if I remember correctly, there were still less Kylo and Rey than the RO characters available and that was the big movie for 2016.  From now on I think Kylo and Rey will just be ubiquitous, just like Elsa.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyla Ren on Mon 27 Mar - 1:13

@panki wrote:
@Kyla Ren

I think its a silly rumor.....Kylo's action figures definitely sell really well everywhere....as for the others, I can only speak for where I live- but the figures that sell well here are Rey, Kylo, Vader, Poe, BB-8, Poe and funnily Kanan Jarrus.
@panki

I agree.  I mean, I haven't heard any official statistics, but when I've been searching online for Kylo dolls, costumes, accessories, etc., it seems that some Kylo things sold out or pre-sold quickly, and I've seen a lot of reviews written by people who have bought Kylo related items.  So, I kind of think that he must be popular.
Kyla Ren
Kyla Ren
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Mon 27 Mar - 1:38

I've been to Disneyland this month and Kylo and BB-8 easily had the most merchandise out of all TFA characters.

Now it is possible that, around the time of TFA release, Kylo merchandise exceeded everyone else's by a ridiculous degree, since he's got the flashiest look, and the supply turned out to be greater than demand simply because Disney put out that much Kylo stuff and pushed him the most.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar on Mon 27 Mar - 2:03

I did read an article about Rey breaking a tradition that female character action figures don't sell. Owner of a shop was interviewed and he said, that only Kylo's figures sell better, because he is a villain. Rey comes close second.

And I can not find it now, because google is full of "Omg, Disney thought we would like Kylo Ren better than Rey!!!"articles lol.
SkyStar
SkyStar
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen on Mon 27 Mar - 2:30

I find it hard to believe Kylo is unpopular given how many cosplayers are around here, especially for Kylo and Rey. Also, how many fanarts and how people like it. Even little kids are dressed as Kylo Ren. Kylo is the most polarizing character and of course plenty of love also brings plenty of hate, But I've seen people praising him as not one dimensional villain but rather a complex character. Even to the point of calling him "this is what Anakin should have been in Prequels movies."
DarthRen
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Mon 27 Mar - 2:39

Hmm.

http://makingstarwars.net/2017/03/star-wars-the-last-jedis-first-order-heavy-assault-walker-is-one-mad-gorilla/

"The Heavy Assault Walker is like a Generation 1 Transformer was mixed up with an AT-AT and a gorilla."

Well, Pablo should be pleased Razz
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyla Ren on Mon 27 Mar - 2:46

@DarthRen wrote:I find it hard to believe Kylo is unpopular given how many cosplayers are around here, especially for Kylo and Rey. Also, how many fanarts and how people like it. Even little kids are dressed as Kylo Ren. Kylo is the most polarizing character and of course plenty of love also brings plenty of hate, But I've seen people praising him as not one dimensional villain but rather a complex character. Even to the point of calling him "this is what Anakin should have been in Prequels movies."
@DarthRen

I agree completely.

And about the bolded part: it's interesting you should say that, because that's exactly what I said to a friend of mine after I saw TFA: Kylo is what Anakin should have been in the prequels. He really is a great character and Adam did a fantastic job portraying him.
Kyla Ren
Kyla Ren
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Armadeus on Mon 27 Mar - 2:47

Sooooo... according to these 'news' sites... Lucasfilm's creative writing strategy is being decided by... toy sales?

What are they, Hasbro?

Is the ST a big toy commercial? Not that that would surprise me, this is Disney after all; anything for a quick buck.

Armadeus
Armadeus
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

https://www.fictionpress.com/u/564105/

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 on Mon 27 Mar - 2:50

Of all the TFA characters Kylo must be the most popular, because he is on everything when it comes to merchandise, toothpaste, soup, chips, batteries, you name it he is on it, and this continues a full 1.3 years after TFA. Don't you think it would be weird if Rey was more popular but Kylo is on your chicken soup and your cheese crackers? Truthfully, I find it a bit of a conundrum, Kylo is a villain, kills people, kills HAN SOLO yet he is the face that advertisers choose to put on their most inane products, I would rather brush my teeth with Rey on my tooth paste, hers are so pearly white lol but no, that have Emo Ren on it instead. Maybe it is as simple as Kylo is the Skywalker of the Skywalker saga and the advertisers know and understand this. On a serious note, it is still hard to find Kylo and Rey in abundance in the toy section, I was just at a department store yesterday and I always sneak a peak at the Star Wars toy section.
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mana on Mon 27 Mar - 2:53

Who cares if Kylo sells better than Rey? are people are actually in pain over this? Darth Vader still outsells hero Luke Skywalker to this day. In fact, I have never in my life seen Luke Skywalker merchandise anywhere while Darth Vader is EVERYWHERE #whereisLuke...
Mana
Mana
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar on Mon 27 Mar - 3:03

haha, I was thinking about it the other day and decided I prefer either masked or animated characters on the stuff.

I think the most superheroes on the merch ar the ones that have masked or changing alter ego. It is more fitting to buy a cereal with Batman, Hulk, Iron man etc, than Bruce Wayne, Bruce Banner or Tony Stark.

The mask just kind of makes it more anonymous? I don't know. Would be strange to have Luke on my toothpaste, funny, but strange. Dunno what I am trying to say here, just rambling.  Very Happy

That said, I hope we get more unmasked Kylo in the future.
SkyStar
SkyStar
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum