Discussion: Podcasts

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Discussion: Podcasts - Page 37 Empty Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by PalmettoBlue on Fri 20 Oct - 1:16

RandomObserver wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
@PalmettoBlue wrote:Have y’all listened to the latest MSW podcast (#200)? I was literally driving down the road, shaking my head, and talking back to them. They seem to have tunnel vision with regards to this movie.

I’m worried they know something we don’t. But the main body of the podcast dealt with toy dialogue, so maybe not?
@PalmettoBlue
I wouldn't worry about what MSW knows or doesn't know. They got shut out of plot-related leaks big time after all their success in leaking an early script of TFA. That's been obvious for a long time. Instead they have some tie to LucasFilm's marketing. All of their accurate leaks have been toy-related, while everything else has fallen pretty flat after they admitted they were unsure of how trustworthy their sources were (namely Ireland shooting). So really, don't concern yourself with it. Smile
@FrolickingFizzgig

Right. They clearly got early previews of a number of merch and marketing pieces, but they don't seem to have much in the way of context for those pieces. I wouldn't worry.
@ISeeAnIsland
If they had anything worthwhile they would have dropped it already. Now we're 2 months away from the film and getting new information fast, and if you think it's going fast now wait until all the TV spots, interviews and real merchandising for Christmas to kick in. We're just at the beginning, and every day MSW loses more and more time to reveal something big and get a ton of clicks/ad-revenue. There was no better time than right before or right after the trailer, yet still, nothing. The more time ticks by, the more likely it becomes that their only ties were to merchandising and they weren't really privy to any big plot spoilers.
@FrolickingFizzgig

Supposedly, they have something regarding Luke's costume change that "they can't talk about" and something big on Leia that "they can't talk about."

It does seem like they were slipped a few descriptions of scenes but not given much context, such as the "Rey goes ballistic and starts throwing things at Luke" rumored scene. And going back to the original post, they did say that "several sources" told them that Luke tells Rey "that she has to kill Kylo, but she doesn't want to."

My guess is this...they did have a couple of sources early on who fed them some scene descriptions/plot points (e.g. the FinnRose star destroyer infiltration), but those sources dried up when LF brought the hammer down on all of the "leakers" (e.g. Bothan-Spy, Mr. Ghostface, etc).

Since then, all they've had have been their merch sources...and they were left without any real context for the plot points that they did have.
@ISeeAnIsland

I agree. And I do wonder about the secret Luke outfit thing. I remember them talking about Luke wearing some fancier Count Dooku outfit. We have not seen an outfit like that as at all, but we have seen a hint in that picture where Mark and Carrie are sitting in lawn chairs in front of the trailer. Mark is covered up, but you can see he's wearing a pretty nice shirt underneath that would never work with the brown traveling outfit and the old school Jedi outfit. Also remember Rian tweeted that picture of the Jedi outfit on a hanger, like it had been "hung up."
@SoloSideCousin

Ooh, I'd forgotten about the "hung up" Jedi outfit--good recall! (And if I recall, that was one of the things that freaked people out elsewhere thinking that Luke would die.)

But yes, we saw Mark with a cleaned up beard/new haircut towards the end of filming, and there was that covered-up fancy outfit. I always figured it was some still-yet-unseen costume change that MSW didn't want to spill the beans on.

If MSW knows about anything, I'd guess that they know more about Luke, but after what happened with TFA, they don't want to go public with it until there's corroborating evidence from something official. Like, how they never mentioned anything about the Rey-attacking-Luke scene until the trailer dropped with that shot of Luke on the ground.
@ISeeAnIsland

It's one of the secrets of the movie; there's a Jedi makeover spa on Ahch-To, run exclusively by the alien amphibian nuns. The porgs are used as loofahs. Wink Meh, at this point in the game, I'm pretty much just willing to bet that 80% of the movie is going to surprise us. It's a long movie, and I love that concept, as there are many scenes we have no idea that are coming. Along with all the Reylo we're getting in the trailer and marketing, that looks very promising indeed.
@RandomObserver

Y’all, they made it worse. I finally finished listening to the MSW #200.

Jason said Adam Driver was wasted as an actor in Star Wars because villains aren’t very complicated.

I guess he didn’t watch the same trailer I did.

And yes, they are exactly like the male friends I have that are SW fans. Frankly, I’m disappointed in them all and I find their lack of faith disturbing.

Time to listen to SWC - I’m so glad we have others to listen to! They are so much more thoughtful about all of this than most podcasts.
PalmettoBlue
PalmettoBlue
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 669
Likes : 2831
Date d'inscription : 2017-10-14
Localisation : USA

https://palmettosdesk.blog/

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Podcasts - Page 37 Empty Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by snufkin on Fri 20 Oct - 1:42

There's a niche for these guys when it comes to legacy stuff and collecting/swag. Doing basic literary and film analysis, not so much. Unless there's a post TLJ-release boom where they suddenly start scrambling around to recruit female fans they know to join in on the discussion. Granted these have to be female fans who do better at the analysis stuff and also aren't the type of cool girl in the boy's clubhouse type fans who disdain anything that's skewed to be too fangirly.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 8245
Likes : 38101
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-17
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Podcasts - Page 37 Empty Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by SoloSideCousin on Fri 20 Oct - 1:49

@PalmettoBlue wrote:
RandomObserver wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
@PalmettoBlue wrote:Have y’all listened to the latest MSW podcast (#200)? I was literally driving down the road, shaking my head, and talking back to them. They seem to have tunnel vision with regards to this movie.

I’m worried they know something we don’t. But the main body of the podcast dealt with toy dialogue, so maybe not?
@PalmettoBlue
I wouldn't worry about what MSW knows or doesn't know. They got shut out of plot-related leaks big time after all their success in leaking an early script of TFA. That's been obvious for a long time. Instead they have some tie to LucasFilm's marketing. All of their accurate leaks have been toy-related, while everything else has fallen pretty flat after they admitted they were unsure of how trustworthy their sources were (namely Ireland shooting). So really, don't concern yourself with it. Smile
@FrolickingFizzgig

Right. They clearly got early previews of a number of merch and marketing pieces, but they don't seem to have much in the way of context for those pieces. I wouldn't worry.
@ISeeAnIsland
If they had anything worthwhile they would have dropped it already. Now we're 2 months away from the film and getting new information fast, and if you think it's going fast now wait until all the TV spots, interviews and real merchandising for Christmas to kick in. We're just at the beginning, and every day MSW loses more and more time to reveal something big and get a ton of clicks/ad-revenue. There was no better time than right before or right after the trailer, yet still, nothing. The more time ticks by, the more likely it becomes that their only ties were to merchandising and they weren't really privy to any big plot spoilers.
@FrolickingFizzgig

Supposedly, they have something regarding Luke's costume change that "they can't talk about" and something big on Leia that "they can't talk about."

It does seem like they were slipped a few descriptions of scenes but not given much context, such as the "Rey goes ballistic and starts throwing things at Luke" rumored scene.  And going back to the original post, they did say that "several sources" told them that Luke tells Rey "that she has to kill Kylo, but she doesn't want to."

My guess is this...they did have a couple of sources early on who fed them some scene descriptions/plot points (e.g. the FinnRose star destroyer infiltration), but those sources dried up when LF brought the hammer down on all of the "leakers" (e.g. Bothan-Spy, Mr. Ghostface, etc).

Since then, all they've had have been their merch sources...and they were left without any real context for the plot points that they did have.
@ISeeAnIsland

I agree. And I do wonder about the secret Luke outfit thing. I remember them talking about Luke wearing some fancier Count Dooku outfit. We have not seen an outfit like that as at all, but we have seen a hint in that picture where Mark and Carrie are sitting in lawn chairs in front of the trailer. Mark is covered up, but you can see he's wearing a pretty nice shirt underneath that would never work with the brown traveling outfit and the old school Jedi outfit. Also remember Rian tweeted that picture of the Jedi outfit on a hanger, like it had been "hung up."
@SoloSideCousin

Ooh, I'd forgotten about the "hung up" Jedi outfit--good recall! (And if I recall, that was one of the things that freaked people out elsewhere thinking that Luke would die.)

But yes, we saw Mark with a cleaned up beard/new haircut towards the end of filming, and there was that covered-up fancy outfit. I always figured it was some still-yet-unseen costume change that MSW didn't want to spill the beans on.

If MSW knows about anything, I'd guess that they know more about Luke, but after what happened with TFA, they don't want to go public with it until there's corroborating evidence from something official. Like, how they never mentioned anything about the Rey-attacking-Luke scene until the trailer dropped with that shot of Luke on the ground.
@ISeeAnIsland

It's one of the secrets of the movie; there's a Jedi makeover spa on Ahch-To, run exclusively by the alien amphibian nuns. The porgs are used as loofahs. Wink Meh, at this point in the game, I'm pretty much just willing to bet that 80% of the movie is going to surprise us. It's a long movie, and I love that concept, as there are many scenes we have no idea that are coming. Along with all the Reylo we're getting in the trailer and marketing, that looks very promising indeed.
@RandomObserver

Y’all, they made it worse. I finally finished listening to the MSW #200.

Jason said Adam Driver was wasted as an actor in Star Wars because villains aren’t very complicated.

I guess he didn’t watch the same trailer I did.

And yes, they are exactly like the male friends I have that are SW fans. Frankly, I’m disappointed in them all and I find their lack of faith disturbing.

Time to listen to SWC - I’m so glad we have others to listen to! They are so much more thoughtful about all of this than most podcasts.
@PalmettoBlue

Wasted as an actor?!!!!!! Now that sith just will not stand!!! :-)

Seriously though ... though Kylo is written well, that character could disintegrate in many other actors' hands.  Like KK said, Adam is one of the few people who could play that part.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4735
Likes : 22918
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Podcasts - Page 37 Empty Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by Piper Maru on Fri 20 Oct - 1:52

It baffles me how these people seem unable to comprehend nuance, complexity and anything remotely abstract related to the narrative.

Seriously, it's not that hard. The trailer was focused on Rey and Kylo and how they are foils to each other. It ends with Rey asking for help, and her foil offering a hand. It doesn't matter if she is not asking him directly or if he's offering the hand to someone else in the movie; the message is clear -- they need each other to find balance/restore the peace in the galaxy/whatever.

And Adam Driver wasted? I can't think of any young actor from this generation who could pull off the patricide scene.
Piper Maru
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1286
Likes : 10262
Date d'inscription : 2017-01-15
Age : 28
Localisation : Brazil

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Podcasts - Page 37 Empty Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by Kylo Men on Fri 20 Oct - 1:58

I think Jason at MSW bought pretty heavily into the Rey-Snoke Crashing Star Destroyer ending. I remember seeing three versions of it: the MSW "rumor" report; the "my pal Mike" report on Reddit and a third published somewhere that I can't identify. The third was very detailed, and I don't think some of those details match up very well with the trailer. The fact no one mentioned the torture scene particularly stands out. But so does the likely event of Rey and Kylo fighting the guards. So the fighting inside th throne room doesn't appear to be between the two of them, but against other people. I am open on "crashing star destroyer." It's the other stuff I doubt.

And Kylo is clearly offering his hand to a female, not a male.

Kylo Men
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 588
Likes : 2238
Date d'inscription : 2017-05-09

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Podcasts - Page 37 Empty Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by Kylo Men on Fri 20 Oct - 2:16

I guess what I'm saying is that it's hard to imagine:

Kylo tricks Rey and brings her to Snoke!
Snoke tortures Rey!
Kylo gets angry about it and fights back!
He frees Rey!
He tosses her her light saber and they fight the guards!
"Excellent! Now let's see you ..... fight each other!"
Kylo turns on Rey! He wins!
"Excellent! Now finish her!"
He shakes his fist! "No, you evil man! I won't!"
"Well if you won't .... then maybe she will, if I tell her the names .... of her parents!"
Rey grabs her saber and goes nuts on Kylo!
Then she leaves with Snoke, the man who was torturing her five minutes ago!

That's an awful lot of mind-changing for one scene.

Kylo Men
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 588
Likes : 2238
Date d'inscription : 2017-05-09

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Podcasts - Page 37 Empty Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by IoJovi on Fri 20 Oct - 2:17

@Kylo Men wrote:I guess what I'm saying is that it's hard to imagine:

Kylo tricks Rey and brings her to Snoke!
Snoke tortures Rey!
Kylo gets angry about it and fights back!
He frees Rey!
He tosses her her light saber and they fight the guards!
"Excellent! Now let's see you ..... fight each other!"
Kylo turns on Rey! He wins!
"Excellent! Now finish her!"
He shakes his fist! "No, you evil man! I won't!"
"Well if you won't .... then maybe she will, if I tell her the names .... of her parents!"
Rey grabs her saber and goes nuts on Kylo!
Then she leaves with Snoke, the man who was torturing her five minutes ago!

That's an awful lot of mind-changing for one scene.
@Kylo Men

My head is spinning at that scenario. Can you please repeat that because I must have missed something... Laughing

IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 7289
Likes : 41505
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26
Age : 103
Localisation : Atlanta, GA

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Podcasts - Page 37 Empty Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by snufkin on Fri 20 Oct - 2:31

@Kylo Men wrote:I guess what I'm saying is that it's hard to imagine:

Kylo tricks Rey and brings her to Snoke!
Snoke tortures Rey!
Kylo gets angry about it and fights back!
He frees Rey!
He tosses her her light saber and they fight the guards!
"Excellent! Now let's see you ..... fight each other!"
Kylo turns on Rey! He wins!
"Excellent! Now finish her!"
He shakes his fist! "No, you evil man! I won't!"
"Well if you won't .... then maybe she will, if I tell her the names .... of her parents!"
Rey grabs her saber and goes nuts on Kylo!
Then she leaves with Snoke, the man who was torturing her five minutes ago!

That's an awful lot of mind-changing for one scene.
@Kylo Men

Oh those are the Title Cards from the orginal silent movie it's based on. I totally saw that at Shakey's pizza with an old timey piano player when I was a kid. Mary Pickford plays Rey in that version.

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 8245
Likes : 38101
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-17
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Podcasts - Page 37 Empty Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by Kylo Men on Fri 20 Oct - 2:36

@snufkin wrote:
@Kylo Men wrote:I guess what I'm saying is that it's hard to imagine:

Kylo tricks Rey and brings her to Snoke!
Snoke tortures Rey!
Kylo gets angry about it and fights back!
He frees Rey!
He tosses her her light saber and they fight the guards!
"Excellent! Now let's see you ..... fight each other!"
Kylo turns on Rey! He wins!
"Excellent! Now finish her!"
He shakes his fist! "No, you evil man! I won't!"
"Well if you won't .... then maybe she will, if I tell her the names .... of her parents!"
Rey grabs her saber and goes nuts on Kylo!
Then she leaves with Snoke, the man who was torturing her five minutes ago!

That's an awful lot of mind-changing for one scene.
@Kylo Men

Oh those are the Title Cards from the orginal silent movie it's based on. I totally saw that at Shakey's pizza with an old timey piano player when I was a kid. Mary Pickford plays Rey in that version.

@snufkin

Sparrows!

Kylo Men
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 588
Likes : 2238
Date d'inscription : 2017-05-09

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Podcasts - Page 37 Empty Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by Kessel on Fri 20 Oct - 4:44

@PalmettoBlue wrote:
RandomObserver wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
@PalmettoBlue wrote:Have y’all listened to the latest MSW podcast (#200)? I was literally driving down the road, shaking my head, and talking back to them. They seem to have tunnel vision with regards to this movie.

I’m worried they know something we don’t. But the main body of the podcast dealt with toy dialogue, so maybe not?
@PalmettoBlue
I wouldn't worry about what MSW knows or doesn't know. They got shut out of plot-related leaks big time after all their success in leaking an early script of TFA. That's been obvious for a long time. Instead they have some tie to LucasFilm's marketing. All of their accurate leaks have been toy-related, while everything else has fallen pretty flat after they admitted they were unsure of how trustworthy their sources were (namely Ireland shooting). So really, don't concern yourself with it. Smile
@FrolickingFizzgig

Right. They clearly got early previews of a number of merch and marketing pieces, but they don't seem to have much in the way of context for those pieces. I wouldn't worry.
@ISeeAnIsland
If they had anything worthwhile they would have dropped it already. Now we're 2 months away from the film and getting new information fast, and if you think it's going fast now wait until all the TV spots, interviews and real merchandising for Christmas to kick in. We're just at the beginning, and every day MSW loses more and more time to reveal something big and get a ton of clicks/ad-revenue. There was no better time than right before or right after the trailer, yet still, nothing. The more time ticks by, the more likely it becomes that their only ties were to merchandising and they weren't really privy to any big plot spoilers.
@FrolickingFizzgig

Supposedly, they have something regarding Luke's costume change that "they can't talk about" and something big on Leia that "they can't talk about."

It does seem like they were slipped a few descriptions of scenes but not given much context, such as the "Rey goes ballistic and starts throwing things at Luke" rumored scene. And going back to the original post, they did say that "several sources" told them that Luke tells Rey "that she has to kill Kylo, but she doesn't want to."

My guess is this...they did have a couple of sources early on who fed them some scene descriptions/plot points (e.g. the FinnRose star destroyer infiltration), but those sources dried up when LF brought the hammer down on all of the "leakers" (e.g. Bothan-Spy, Mr. Ghostface, etc).

Since then, all they've had have been their merch sources...and they were left without any real context for the plot points that they did have.
@ISeeAnIsland

I agree. And I do wonder about the secret Luke outfit thing. I remember them talking about Luke wearing some fancier Count Dooku outfit. We have not seen an outfit like that as at all, but we have seen a hint in that picture where Mark and Carrie are sitting in lawn chairs in front of the trailer. Mark is covered up, but you can see he's wearing a pretty nice shirt underneath that would never work with the brown traveling outfit and the old school Jedi outfit. Also remember Rian tweeted that picture of the Jedi outfit on a hanger, like it had been "hung up."
@SoloSideCousin

Ooh, I'd forgotten about the "hung up" Jedi outfit--good recall! (And if I recall, that was one of the things that freaked people out elsewhere thinking that Luke would die.)

But yes, we saw Mark with a cleaned up beard/new haircut towards the end of filming, and there was that covered-up fancy outfit. I always figured it was some still-yet-unseen costume change that MSW didn't want to spill the beans on.

If MSW knows about anything, I'd guess that they know more about Luke, but after what happened with TFA, they don't want to go public with it until there's corroborating evidence from something official. Like, how they never mentioned anything about the Rey-attacking-Luke scene until the trailer dropped with that shot of Luke on the ground.
@ISeeAnIsland

It's one of the secrets of the movie; there's a Jedi makeover spa on Ahch-To, run exclusively by the alien amphibian nuns. The porgs are used as loofahs. Wink Meh, at this point in the game, I'm pretty much just willing to bet that 80% of the movie is going to surprise us. It's a long movie, and I love that concept, as there are many scenes we have no idea that are coming. Along with all the Reylo we're getting in the trailer and marketing, that looks very promising indeed.
@RandomObserver

Y’all, they made it worse. I finally finished listening to the MSW #200.

Jason said Adam Driver was wasted as an actor in Star Wars because villains aren’t very complicated.

I guess he didn’t watch the same trailer I did.

And yes, they are exactly like the male friends I have that are SW fans. Frankly, I’m disappointed in them all and I find their lack of faith disturbing.

Time to listen to SWC - I’m so glad we have others to listen to! They are so much more thoughtful about all of this than most podcasts.
@PalmettoBlue

Wow, it looks like they are getting really off base lately... Adam Driver is being wasted as an actor in his role as Kylo!? Wut? So, does he think all the Kylo parts of the trailer were total misdirection? Does he think Rian is going to make Kylo a cardboard villain and poor Adam will have nothing significant to do with the role, except stomp around and kill his mom and/or Snoke? Lol.

_________________
"The relationship between Kylo and Rey is awesome."
Kessel
Kessel
Moderator

Messages : 1937
Likes : 13591
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Podcasts - Page 37 Empty Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by snufkin on Fri 20 Oct - 5:31

@Kylo Men - it's really the silent film discussions which are driving the traffic to this board.  

In regards to the podcasters not doing a great job of figuring out the trailer. Have any of them even brought up all the West Side Story references Rian kept dropping in his Tweets about the trailer coming out? Because this is where my mind went seeing the reference to it. It's a staple of school and community theater productions, so not exactly an obscure reference.



As for the fans who can't decipher what he's doing with his hand, well then I feel a little bit sad for the women in their lives.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 8245
Likes : 38101
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-17
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Podcasts - Page 37 Empty Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by SoloSideCousin on Fri 20 Oct - 8:34

@snufkin wrote:@Kylo Men - it's really the silent film discussions which are driving the traffic to this board.  

In regards to the podcasters not doing a great job of figuring out the trailer. Have any of them even brought up all the West Side Story references Rian kept dropping in his Tweets about the trailer coming out? Because this is where my mind went seeing the reference to it. It's a staple of school and community theater productions, so not exactly an obscure reference.



As for the fans who can't decipher what he's doing with his hand, well then I feel a little bit sad for the women in their lives.
@snufkin

"It's not us, it's everything around us."

"Then I will take you away, where nothing can get to us."

"Not anyone or anything."

"We'll find a new way of living."

"We'll find a way of forgiving."

"There's a place for us."

"A time and place for us."

"Hold my hand and we're halfway there."

"Hold my hand and I'll take you there"

And then they kiss and fall onto a bed and out of frame.

And *this* is what Rian Johnson used to usher in the TLJ trailer.

Two "outsiders" in a way, trying to find a new world where they fit.

Holy.Sith.

P.S. Rey's new hair looks like Natalie Wood's.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4735
Likes : 22918
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Podcasts - Page 37 Empty Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by PalmettoBlue on Fri 20 Oct - 13:51

@snufkin wrote:@Kylo Men - it's really the silent film discussions which are driving the traffic to this board.  

In regards to the podcasters not doing a great job of figuring out the trailer. Have any of them even brought up all the West Side Story references Rian kept dropping in his Tweets about the trailer coming out? Because this is where my mind went seeing the reference to it. It's a staple of school and community theater productions, so not exactly an obscure reference.



As for the fans who can't decipher what he's doing with his hand, well then I feel a little bit sad for the women in their lives.
@snufkin

MSW certainly didn’t...I guess they don’t think it’s important. WTH

I found myself asking myself for the millionth time - why am I still listening to this? It got to train wreck territory.
PalmettoBlue
PalmettoBlue
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 669
Likes : 2831
Date d'inscription : 2017-10-14
Localisation : USA

https://palmettosdesk.blog/

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Podcasts - Page 37 Empty Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by vaderito on Fri 20 Oct - 15:41

@snufkin No, of course not. But post-trailer it's obvious that the choice of clips was not random.

@SoloSideCousin Holy sith, "hold my hand and we're halfway there, I'll take you there". Yep, Rian ain't playin.

Also, "new way of living... a way of forgiving" Yeah. This ain't random, nope.

Bosu: rey's hair is indeed like maria's. So much for Rey Jinn.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 10376
Likes : 50085
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Podcasts - Page 37 Empty Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by snufkin on Fri 20 Oct - 15:47

@PalmettoBlue - never bothered, they sounded like the podcast equivalent of the local sports radio Bros when it came to analysis. Like they have the brand name recognition from the last movie because somebody who got sacked when JJ cleaned house after Fird’s accident decided to Hell with the NDA and blabbed. Lightning not only didn’t strike twice but they’re uh, really don’t have the skill set to figure this stuff out. Like don’t quit your day job fellas. Even if they had watched all of Rian Johnson’s previous films or watched the Criterion Collection titles he mentioned, not looking likely even then they would be further along. I think we all know which podcasters actually figured it out and called it long before the trailers came out.

On the plus side, they’re just genuinely befuddled versus the fans who’ve tried to stifle the discussion because they don’t like it because it’s not the fanfic opus of their dreams.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 8245
Likes : 38101
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-17
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Podcasts - Page 37 Empty Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by PalmettoBlue on Fri 20 Oct - 20:46

@snufkin wrote:@PalmettoBlue - never bothered, they sounded like the podcast equivalent of the local sports radio Bros when it came to analysis. Like they have the brand name recognition from the last movie because somebody who got sacked when JJ cleaned house after Fird’s accident decided to Hell with the NDA and blabbed. Lightning not only didn’t strike twice but they’re uh, really don’t have the skill set to figure this stuff out. Like don’t quit your day job fellas. Even if they had watched all of Rian Johnson’s previous films or watched the Criterion Collection titles he mentioned, not looking likely even then they would be further along. I think we all know which podcasters actually figured it out and called it long before the trailers came out.

On the plus side, they’re just genuinely befuddled versus the fans who’ve tried to stifle the discussion because they don’t like it because it’s not the fanfic opus of their dreams.
@snufkin

This is so true.
There was one podcast where they sort of ventured into Reylo territory, and Jason, in particular, didn't seem horrified. One of the other hosts was upset at the thought of a redeemed Kylo Ren, but, Jason soldiered on. It was really strange.
But regardless, I'm pretty sure I won't be listening to many more of their podcasts because I find myself shaking my head, yelling at the speakers, and generalling questioning why I'm wasting my time.
Bless their hearts. I hope they are ready for December.
PalmettoBlue
PalmettoBlue
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 669
Likes : 2831
Date d'inscription : 2017-10-14
Localisation : USA

https://palmettosdesk.blog/

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Podcasts - Page 37 Empty Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by snufkin on Fri 20 Oct - 21:53

@PalmettoBlue - Bless their hearts, hahaha! Yeah it doesn’t seem like it should be too hard to figure out that if the bad guy is making googly eyes at the heroine, who’s a nerdy orphan from the wrong side of the tracks, that’s kind of a hint from the filmmakers.

He sounds like he’s actually skirted the topic, so who knows how much is outright don’t want to say anything without confirmation and how much is he’ll have to see the movie to really get what it’s about. The ones freaking out though, well don’t tell them about East of Eden or it’s source in the Book of Genesis and the Parable of the Prodigal Son. They might be scandalized by those characters too.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 8245
Likes : 38101
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-17
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Podcasts - Page 37 Empty Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by Maria Antonietta on Fri 20 Oct - 22:43

@PalmettoBlue wrote:
@snufkin wrote:@PalmettoBlue - never bothered, they sounded like the podcast equivalent of the local sports radio Bros when it came to analysis. Like they have the brand name recognition from the last movie because somebody who got sacked when JJ cleaned house after Fird’s accident decided to Hell with the NDA and blabbed. Lightning not only didn’t strike twice but they’re uh, really don’t have the skill set to figure this stuff out. Like don’t quit your day job fellas. Even if they had watched all of Rian Johnson’s previous films or watched the Criterion Collection titles he mentioned, not looking likely even then they would be further along. I think we all know which podcasters actually figured it out and called it long before the trailers came out.

On the plus side, they’re just genuinely befuddled versus the fans who’ve tried to stifle the discussion because they don’t like it because it’s not the fanfic opus of their dreams.
@snufkin

This is so true.
There was one podcast where they sort of ventured into Reylo territory, and Jason, in particular, didn't seem horrified. One of the other hosts was upset at the thought of a redeemed Kylo Ren, but, Jason soldiered on. It was really strange.
But regardless, I'm pretty sure I won't be listening to many more of their podcasts because I find myself shaking my head, yelling at the speakers, and generalling questioning why I'm wasting my time.
Bless their hearts. I hope they are ready for December.
@PalmettoBlue

I think it's a pot of gold for people who study sociology. This fandom lives in a dense censorship. I don't get it. It is weird. Everyone know I'm a Reylo, no problem. I don't get hate, I don't get called disgusting or gross. Meh :/
Maria Antonietta
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2789
Likes : 12380
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26
Age : 33
Localisation : Italia

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Podcasts - Page 37 Empty Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by PalmettoBlue on Wed 1 Nov - 14:37

In my continuing quest to find more podcasts that are bearable, I was perversely attracted to Rebel Grrl. One of only three negative reviews for Scavengers Hoard said something along the lines of: Oh, Rebel Grrl is so enthusiastic and correct. I knew that RG was/is Jason Ward of MSW's wife, but I thought: I doubt this reviewer is right, but I disagree with my husband all the time on matters of fandom. He's freaking clueless. So, I'll give RG's TLJ reaction podcast a whirl.

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME.

She's supposed to know stuff. She said "Rey won't get a chance to interact with Kylo until the end of the film [because she's on Ahct-To]." Okay, so I'm paraphrasing, but I sh!t you not...she said that.

How does any Star Wars podcaster NOT know that Adam Driver spent weeks in Ireland with Daisy and Mark? Does she think he went there for an extended pub crawl (sans wife) while everyone was working?

I'm just - flabbergasted.

And this is the podcast that is enthusiastic and knowledgeable? WTF?

Star Wars Connection, Scavenger's Hoard, and Knights of Rant....keep it up ladies, because I've yet to find another female voice podcast worth listening to. And the ones run by men?

Help me out, y'all. I spend a lot of time in the vehicle commuting for work. What do y'all recommend? I can't listen to rubbish.
PalmettoBlue
PalmettoBlue
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 669
Likes : 2831
Date d'inscription : 2017-10-14
Localisation : USA

https://palmettosdesk.blog/

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Podcasts - Page 37 Empty Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by bashfulblueeyes3 on Wed 1 Nov - 14:59

There is a relatively new podcast called Council of the Whills on Youtube. They are along the lines of the ones you mentioned (I listen to them aswell). They love Reylo, but they talk about spoilers, characters, and other things like Scavenger's Hoard. They are pretty good.

bashfulblueeyes3
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 221
Likes : 1008
Date d'inscription : 2017-07-16

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Podcasts - Page 37 Empty Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by PalmettoBlue on Wed 1 Nov - 15:07

@bashfulblueeyes3 wrote:There is a relatively new podcast called Council of the Whills on Youtube. They are along the lines of the ones you mentioned (I listen to them aswell). They love Reylo, but they talk about spoilers, characters, and other things like Scavenger's Hoard. They are pretty good.
@bashfulblueeyes3

Thanks, I'll check them out! I saw that AShesforfoxes, Holocroning, and Ohtze have one as well...but I'm not sure if i can access them in the car.
PalmettoBlue
PalmettoBlue
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 669
Likes : 2831
Date d'inscription : 2017-10-14
Localisation : USA

https://palmettosdesk.blog/

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Podcasts - Page 37 Empty Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Wed 1 Nov - 16:06

@PalmettoBlue wrote:In my continuing quest to find more podcasts that are bearable, I was perversely attracted to Rebel Grrl. One of only three negative reviews for Scavengers Hoard said something along the lines of: Oh, Rebel Grrl is so enthusiastic and correct. I knew that RG was/is Jason Ward of MSW's wife, but I thought: I doubt this reviewer is right, but I disagree with my husband all the time on matters of fandom. He's freaking clueless. So, I'll give RG's TLJ reaction podcast a whirl.

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME.

She's supposed to know stuff. She said "Rey won't get a chance to interact with Kylo until the end of the film [because she's on Ahct-To]." Okay, so I'm paraphrasing, but I sh!t you not...she said that.

How does any Star Wars podcaster NOT know that Adam Driver spent weeks in Ireland with Daisy and Mark? Does she think he went there for an extended pub crawl (sans wife) while everyone was working?

I'm just - flabbergasted.

And this is the podcast that is enthusiastic and knowledgeable? WTF?

Star Wars Connection, Scavenger's Hoard, and Knights of Rant....keep it up ladies, because I've yet to find another female voice podcast worth listening to. And the ones run by men?

Help me out, y'all. I spend a lot of time in the vehicle commuting for work. What do y'all recommend? I can't listen to rubbish.
@PalmettoBlue

Those are the only ones I listen to Smile

Knights of Rant aren't on the board are they? And who does Star Wars Connection?
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2051
Likes : 10123
Date d'inscription : 2017-03-30
Age : 33

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Podcasts - Page 37 Empty Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by snufkin on Wed 1 Nov - 17:42

@PalmettoBlue A lot of the podcasts you mention got started in part because there was obviously discussions happening in places like here which weren't being reflected in that medium. Which wasn't just having women podcasters, but taking a more in-depth look at the franchise, sequel trilogy, and fictional universe in terms of female stories and the feminine gaze. When the MSW podcast was first mentioned here, it sounded like it was the only one. Which can't have been easy and given the gross conflation of bro culture and geek culture, good or bad analysis, that's a battle in itself just stepping into that environment as a woman and trying to claim any type of presence or place at the table. Because it's not just Star Wars, like we're all sitting here watching the entertainment industry in general finally blowing itself up over how women have been harassed and worse just for trying to participate and not being given the power men get because it's a Boy's Club. So I while I don't really agree with the MSW's podcaster's take on Rey and the ST, but give her respect for putting herself out there in a hostile and frequently misogynistic environment. A lot of the podcasters who've either come out of this community or who want to talk about the topics we like, are more interesed in bypassing the Old Boy's Clubhouse of fandom and just creating new spaces/voices.

Also just my anecdotal observation about a lot of female fans who've had to stick it out just to be heard/treated with respect in a male dominated fandom, some of the "Rey should stay away from Kylo and be a strong, female character" seems to be a premptive move. Either against the female lead getting shafted a la the PT into the male lead's LI/serving his character arc or the LOL Twilight 50 Shades sniggering. Like it's the fear of it turning into something which doesn't get taken seriously, either by other fans or by the filmmakers. Which is understandable given things like Slave Leia or bad*** teenage warrior queen turned into sad tragic dead mom in the OT and PT. We're taking it on faith that's not what KK et all have in store for Rey and given Carrie Fisher's various salty comments prior to her death about there being a double standard in Space, it doesn't seem likely that will happen. But fans invest themselves in these characters and for a lot of women fans, especially the ones who's had to contend with the Boy's Club, that drives some of how they perceive and understand Rey's part in the ST.

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 8245
Likes : 38101
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-17
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Podcasts - Page 37 Empty Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by PalmettoBlue on Wed 1 Nov - 18:15

@snufkin wrote:@PalmettoBlue A lot of the podcasts you mention got started in part because there was obviously discussions happening in places like here which weren't being reflected in that medium. Which wasn't just having women podcasters, but taking a more in-depth look at the franchise, sequel trilogy, and fictional universe in terms of female stories and the feminine gaze. When the MSW podcast was first mentioned here, it sounded like it was the only one. Which can't have been easy and given the gross conflation of bro culture and geek culture, good or bad analysis, that's a battle in itself just stepping into that environment as a woman and trying to claim any type of presence or place at the table. Because it's not just Star Wars, like we're all sitting here watching the entertainment industry in general finally blowing itself up over how women have been harassed and worse just for trying to participate and not being given the power men get because it's a Boy's Club. So I while I don't really agree with the MSW's podcaster's take on Rey and the ST, but give her respect for putting herself out there in a hostile and frequently misogynistic environment. A lot of the podcasters who've either come out of this community or who want to talk about the topics we like, are more interesed in bypassing the Old Boy's Clubhouse of fandom and just creating new spaces/voices.

Also just my anecdotal observation about a lot of female fans who've had to stick it out just to be heard/treated with respect in a male dominated fandom, some of the "Rey should stay away from Kylo and be a strong, female character" seems to be a premptive move. Either against the female lead getting shafted a la the PT into the male lead's LI/serving his character arc or the LOL Twilight 50 Shades sniggering. Like it's the fear of it turning into something which doesn't get taken seriously, either by other fans or by the filmmakers. Which is understandable given things like Slave Leia or bad*** teenage warrior queen turned into sad tragic dead mom in the OT and PT. We're taking it on faith that's not what KK et all have in store for Rey and given Carrie Fisher's various salty comments prior to her death about there being a double standard in Space, it doesn't seem likely that will happen. But fans invest themselves in these characters and for a lot of women fans, especially the ones who's had to contend with the Boy's Club, that drives some of how they perceive and understand Rey's part in the ST.

@snufkin

Excellent points...and RG, as you note, has put herself out there in a frequently misogynistic atmosphere.

Here’s my thing with podcasts: so many of them seem so deliberately obtuse. I’m not speaking about any specific one, but about the majority. I believe you said that we, here on this board, are more willing to change and adapt. This rigidity in the larger fandom just baffles me.
PalmettoBlue
PalmettoBlue
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 669
Likes : 2831
Date d'inscription : 2017-10-14
Localisation : USA

https://palmettosdesk.blog/

Back to top Go down

Discussion: Podcasts - Page 37 Empty Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by snufkin on Wed 1 Nov - 19:04

@PalmettoBlue - oh they definitely couldn't theorize their way out of paper bag if their lives depended on it.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 8245
Likes : 38101
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-17
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Page 37 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum