Thrawn Book Discussion (Spoilers, Predictions, Etc.)

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Thrawn Book Discussion (Spoilers, Predictions, Etc.)

Post by DeeBee on Sat 21 Jul 2018, 6:23 am

@Man Without A Star wrote:@DeeBee

Have you read the Thrawn novel?
@Man Without A Star

hiya! I am a total newbie when it comes to Thrawn content.. I know nothing!
i.e. no I haven't read the Thrawn novel Embarassed
I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to at least read the Thrawn comic adaptation before I read Thrawn Alliances.
Thoughts?
I haven't read back in this thread yet as there will likely be lots of spoilers - not that I mind this but I'd probably try and at least read the comics before I get spoiled.
avatar
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1034
Likes : 2908
Date d'inscription : 2017-10-20
Localisation : The Unknown Regions :)

Back to top Go down

Re: Thrawn Book Discussion (Spoilers, Predictions, Etc.)

Post by Man Without A Star on Sat 21 Jul 2018, 7:43 am

@DeeBee wrote:
@Man Without A Star wrote:@DeeBee

Have you read the Thrawn novel?
@Man Without A Star

hiya! I am a total newbie when it comes to Thrawn content.. I know nothing!
i.e. no I haven't read the Thrawn novel Embarassed
I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to at least read the Thrawn comic adaptation before I read Thrawn Alliances.
Thoughts?
I haven't read back in this thread yet as there will likely be lots of spoilers - not that I mind this but I'd probably try and at least read the comics before I get spoiled.
@DeeBee

If you know nothing about Thrawn you are in for a treat! Smile

While I think that the Thrawn novel is much better in terms of all the additional character thoughts, and layers, the comic does a good job of reteling the critical aspects of the story. So if you are in a rush to read Alliances quickly, go with the comic. But if you are patient and want a better experience overall, read the first novel and then jump to Alliances later. The book is a great read so it should flow nicely.
I would definetly pick one though, before Alliances, because I imagine that Zahn will relly heavily on the readers knowledge of characters past experiences.

Either way, I hope you enjoy the story, it's one of my favourites in the canon Smile
avatar
Man Without A Star
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 184
Likes : 913
Date d'inscription : 2017-09-08
Age : 24
Localisation : Slovakia

Back to top Go down

Re: Thrawn Book Discussion (Spoilers, Predictions, Etc.)

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey on Sat 21 Jul 2018, 8:11 pm

Interesting - Per Amazon, Thrawn Alliances is not released until July 24, so I had it on reserve hold with my library (among others). I received a notice a hold book was ready for borrowing, and I was surprised to see it was Thrawn Alliances because it is not yet 7/24 AND my library usually takes a long time with new book ordering.

So, I am beginning to read it today! Very Happy
avatar
SW_Heroine_Journey
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 450
Likes : 1119
Date d'inscription : 2018-05-23
Age : 45

Back to top Go down

Re: Thrawn Book Discussion (Spoilers, Predictions, Etc.)

Post by DeeBee on Sat 21 Jul 2018, 8:19 pm

@SW_Heroine_Journey - enjoy!!!! I've bought it through audible so I can listen to it while I'm driving. lol!
avatar
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1034
Likes : 2908
Date d'inscription : 2017-10-20
Localisation : The Unknown Regions :)

Back to top Go down

Re: Thrawn Book Discussion (Spoilers, Predictions, Etc.)

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey on Sat 21 Jul 2018, 8:29 pm

@DeeBee wrote:@SW_Heroine_Journey - enjoy!!!! I've bought it through audible so I can listen to it while I'm driving. lol!
@DeeBee

lol Thank you!

Psst - I have not read the first one.  haha I am hoping I won't be too lost.  And if I am, I'll take a look at the Star Wars Databank (and any other resources I can locate online). Smile
avatar
SW_Heroine_Journey
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 450
Likes : 1119
Date d'inscription : 2018-05-23
Age : 45

Back to top Go down

Re: Thrawn Book Discussion (Spoilers, Predictions, Etc.)

Post by DeeBee on Sat 21 Jul 2018, 8:44 pm

@SW_Heroine_Journey - we can be lost together eh! sunny
avatar
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1034
Likes : 2908
Date d'inscription : 2017-10-20
Localisation : The Unknown Regions :)

Back to top Go down

Re: Thrawn Book Discussion (Spoilers, Predictions, Etc.)

Post by AhsokaTano on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 1:20 am

Hi all posting this here but also gonna post on episode 9 spoilers thread . Someone got hold of Thrawn Alliances on Reddit and has been going through it . They haven’t finished it yet so there could be even more revelations.It’s out tomorrow so I guess we’ll read it for ourselves. Only read if you want to be spoiled. Do not read if you don’t want to be . I believe there are potential spoilers for episode 9 .

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/8zsbkt/look_what_i_got_my_hands_on_merchandise/?st=JJXVM84K&sh=4b9fc48d

Am still gonna read it as the first book was great and can’t wait till it’s out tomorrow
avatar
AhsokaTano
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 563
Likes : 1750
Date d'inscription : 2017-12-13
Localisation : London UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Thrawn Book Discussion (Spoilers, Predictions, Etc.)

Post by vaderito on Wed 25 Jul 2018, 7:54 am

Speaking of Thrawn book spoilers, it gets better:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsCantina/comments/91nvta/thrawn_books_spoilers_have_me_thinking_about/

Spoiler:
Didnt Foosls, the guy who saw some kind of storyboard (the one that said Reylo would have a love child and that they would continue past IX almost immediately doing the ST marvel style) say that slaves were powering technology on some planet which was powering the First Order. And now we are learning that force sensitives are powering technology as spoilers from the most recent Thrawn book (Chiss force sensitive children, by the race of species from the unknown regions that Snoke is apparently part of)??

Lucky guess..or did this guy really see spoilers? If so, is he right, are they recasting Leia? stretching out this trilogy and making Reylo have a baby in IX????

Im still tryign to find out exactly how the Chiss force sensitives power the ships of the FO (and Snoke's people), but if anyone knows please tell me

Edit: more in this link:

http://glompcat.tumblr.com/post/176244515261/glompcat-well-i-finished-it-i-can-safely-say

Spoiler:

On the planet Vader discovers the cargo they are chasing are Chiss children. Force-sensitive Chiss children. Thrawn tells Vader that Force-sensitivity for the Chiss only manifests in small kids who all outgrow it when they get older. Oh and they are all little girls. They only have one ability too - the ability to look just a little bit into the future. Because of that the Chiss always use them as pilots, making them run navigation on all of their ships, and as soon as they outgrow their powers they discard them.

This causes Vader to think about how the Jedi were Slaver-owners. It isn’t explained why he thinks that, especially when he literally manages several slaving operations for the Empire, but ok.

Oh and let’s not forget that the term the Chiss use to describe these children literally translates to “Sky-walkers.” Thrawn gets a good laugh out of that while staring at Vader and suggesting he runs their navigation through Wild Space the way the girls do for the Chiss.

Thrawn asks Vader to let the Force-sensitive Chiss girls go home to their parents, and help him make the people kidnapping them stop.

Vader agrees because of trust???????????

You see Thrawn asks when has he ever let the Empire down, and even though Vader explicitly points to the fact Thrawn just lost the battle of Atallon like a week ago and let the Jedi Kanan Jarrus escape, he decides that ultimately he does indeed trust Thrawn.

They return the girls to the Chiss, and threaten the kidnappers in Wild Space, and then they return back to the Empire.

Along the way Vader thinks about how Thrawn was right when he warned Anakin and Padmé about Order 66, but he has no idea Palpatine had been the one who was really running that factory. He decides based on this that Thrawn will never take Vader’s place as Palpatine’s #1 favorite, so he supposes he actually is fine with him and almost likes him.

Thrawn and Vader have a conversation about Anakin Skywalker and Thrawn’s past with him. Vader talks Thrawn into agreeing with him that Anakin Skywalker is dead.
avatar
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 10179
Likes : 49077
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Thrawn Book Discussion (Spoilers, Predictions, Etc.)

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey on Wed 25 Jul 2018, 9:52 am

Not certain if this information supports Skywalker/Solo movies beyond the ST (released within a few years); however, I do think it will play a part in books, comics, TV shows after IX.

As for clues about IX,...indeed...especially because the Star Wars Databank has not yet mentioned the intriguing species, which is suspicious (in a fun way) Very Happy
avatar
SW_Heroine_Journey
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 450
Likes : 1119
Date d'inscription : 2018-05-23
Age : 45

Back to top Go down

Re: Thrawn Book Discussion (Spoilers, Predictions, Etc.)

Post by AhsokaTano on Wed 25 Jul 2018, 2:46 pm

The species is on wookipedia now :
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Grysk
In Uk we don’t get book till tomorrow but I had to read this . The vibes am getting is Babylon 5 shadows ( blotting out the stars , waiting and choosing when to fight etc)that level of threat, lord of the rings Mordor . Am sure there are others.
avatar
AhsokaTano
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 563
Likes : 1750
Date d'inscription : 2017-12-13
Localisation : London UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Thrawn Book Discussion (Spoilers, Predictions, Etc.)

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey on Thu 26 Jul 2018, 1:12 pm

Anyone else wonder that someday (TV Show, Comic, Book, perhaps a movie), when Ahsoka and Sabine locate Ezra (and by extent, Thrawn)...that Thrawn will be a grey...one can say - one of the good guys?
avatar
SW_Heroine_Journey
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 450
Likes : 1119
Date d'inscription : 2018-05-23
Age : 45

Back to top Go down

Re: Thrawn Book Discussion (Spoilers, Predictions, Etc.)

Post by DeeBee on Fri 27 Jul 2018, 5:04 am

@SW_Heroine_Journey wrote:Not certain if this information supports Skywalker/Solo movies beyond the ST (released within a few years); however, I do think it will play a part in books, comics, TV shows after IX.

As for clues about IX,...indeed...especially because the Star Wars Databank has not yet mentioned the intriguing species, which is suspicious (in a fun way) Very Happy
@SW_Heroine_Journey

I look forward to getting into this content. It is very interesting that Snoke's species is not identified on the star wars databank at all. [But am glad to see Ben Solo is definitely listed as 'Human' haaa] at least we have confirmation Snoke is Male. that's something I guess!
Yoda's entry says 'Species: Unknown'. Snoke's just doesn't mention species at all!
avatar
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1034
Likes : 2908
Date d'inscription : 2017-10-20
Localisation : The Unknown Regions :)

Back to top Go down

Re: Thrawn Book Discussion (Spoilers, Predictions, Etc.)

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey on Fri 27 Jul 2018, 8:49 am

@DeeBee wrote:
@SW_Heroine_Journey wrote:Not certain if this information supports Skywalker/Solo movies beyond the ST (released within a few years); however, I do think it will play a part in books, comics, TV shows after IX.

As for clues about IX,...indeed...especially because the Star Wars Databank has not yet mentioned the intriguing species, which is suspicious (in a fun way) Very Happy
@SW_Heroine_Journey

I look forward to getting into this content. It is very interesting that Snoke's species is not identified on the star wars databank at all. [But am glad to see Ben Solo is definitely listed as 'Human' haaa] at least we have confirmation Snoke is Male. that's something I guess!
Yoda's entry says 'Species: Unknown'. Snoke's just doesn't mention species at all!
@DeeBee

curiouser and curiouser! And...Suspicious, and more suspicious! Very Happy

I'm only focused on reylo and bendemption, yet I do admit feeling amused that there is a possibility IX may be about fighting the ultimate evil in the unknown regions, which just might be Snoke's species (appears to be the Grysks). If so, those who were upset at the ST for no backstory on Snoke...or even the basic information - they may want to buckle their seatbelts. Smile
avatar
SW_Heroine_Journey
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 450
Likes : 1119
Date d'inscription : 2018-05-23
Age : 45

Back to top Go down

Re: Thrawn Book Discussion (Spoilers, Predictions, Etc.)

Post by DeeBee on Sat 03 Nov 2018, 12:53 am

Hi All! I thought there was a thread on Thrawn Alliances but now I can't find it! I was looking forward to reading the thoughts that had been shared. I think @SW_Heroine_Journey you had read it and shared your thoughts. now I can't find them. sorry!
I've finally finished the audio book - I sort of got distracted a little even though I loved it.
Thrawn is fabulous and I can see why he is so well loved.
Padme was awesome also!

The ending with Anakin blowing up the Cortosis mines was frankly- chilling!!!
There was a line or two there from Padme's POV - where she remembers the look on his face as Anakin told her about killing all the sandpeople..
It's times like his I wish I had hte physical book - but it was noteworthy - Padme could see that there was a really dark and scary side to Anakin.
She also seemed resigned to him doing what he wanted to do - and had learned by this point in the story that he would make up his mind and then no longer listen to anyone- not even her.. kind of scary given what happens.

I found Anakin to be ummm... simultaneously endearing with his devotion to Padme, but also childish and irritating in his attitude. I don't gravitate to Anakin centric material.

Padme is very clever and brave - I loved the chance to absorb more content about her!

The Grysks were interesting.. I may have missed stuff but they still seem quite mysterious to me! I don't know if Snoke is a Grysk- maybe!

The way the Chiss have force sensitive children - who lose their sensitivity as they grow older is a super interesting idea - I might head over to the force thread (balance) to ponder on this one a bit more..

I wonder if any of Thrawn:Alliances will have any bearings on IX. We shall see....
avatar
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1034
Likes : 2908
Date d'inscription : 2017-10-20
Localisation : The Unknown Regions :)

Back to top Go down

Re: Thrawn Book Discussion (Spoilers, Predictions, Etc.)

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey on Sat 03 Nov 2018, 10:07 am

@DeeBee wrote:Hi All! I thought there was a thread on Thrawn Alliances but now I can't find it! I was looking forward to reading the thoughts that had been shared. I think @SW_Heroine_Journey you had read it and shared your thoughts. now I can't find them. sorry!
I've finally finished the audio book - I sort of got distracted a little even though I loved it.
Thrawn is fabulous and I can see why he is so well loved.
Padme was awesome also!

The ending with Anakin blowing up the Cortosis mines was frankly- chilling!!!
There was a line or two there from Padme's POV - where she remembers the look on his face as Anakin told her about killing all the sandpeople..
It's times like his I wish I had hte physical book - but it was noteworthy - Padme could see that there was a really dark and scary side to Anakin.
She also seemed resigned to him doing what he wanted to do - and had learned by this point in the story that he would make up his mind and then no longer listen to anyone- not even her.. kind of scary given what happens.

I found Anakin to be ummm... simultaneously endearing with his devotion to Padme, but also childish and irritating in his attitude. I don't gravitate to Anakin centric material.

Padme is very clever and brave - I loved the chance to absorb more content about her!

The Grysks were interesting.. I may have missed stuff but they still seem quite mysterious to me! I don't know if Snoke is a Grysk- maybe!

The way the Chiss have force sensitive children - who lose their sensitivity as they grow older is a super interesting idea - I might head over to the force thread (balance) to ponder on this one a bit more..

I wonder if any of Thrawn:Alliances will have any bearings on IX. We shall see....
@DeeBee

I'm trying not to get my hopes up that any information only know to novel readers prominently appears in IX. haha On the other hand, if it's something the LF Story Group insisted on, they will find a way!

Very Happy
avatar
SW_Heroine_Journey
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 450
Likes : 1119
Date d'inscription : 2018-05-23
Age : 45

Back to top Go down

Re: Thrawn Book Discussion (Spoilers, Predictions, Etc.)

Post by DeeBee on Mon 05 Nov 2018, 2:54 am

@SW_Heroine_Journey wrote: @DeeBee
I'm trying not to get my hopes up that any information only know to novel readers prominently appears in IX. haha On the other hand, if it's something the LF Story Group insisted on, they will find a way!
Very Happy
@SW_Heroine_Journey
Hey that's a good plan!
I've just started reading bloodlines and I'm loving it - I keep thinking to myself - whoooo will this character be in IX?!

Hey what did you think of the whole double vision thing in Thrawn: Alliances? I thought it was interesting to get some kind of description of what is happening in the mind of a force user like that.. but as I was reading it via an audiobook I found it a little repetitive..

I also found that for the audio book there were times when thrawn's internal dialogue was said in Thrawn's voice - it threw me a little because I wasn't sure if he was talking out loud or talking to himself. lol.
Maybe it was just me trying to listen while driving, but I've not noticed this in other audio books so far.. and I've 'read' a few now..

Hey if a force user has this double vision thing - maybe they can use that to cheat at Sabacc. rofl.
sunny

avatar
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1034
Likes : 2908
Date d'inscription : 2017-10-20
Localisation : The Unknown Regions :)

Back to top Go down

Re: Thrawn Book Discussion (Spoilers, Predictions, Etc.)

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey on Mon 05 Nov 2018, 10:04 am

@DeeBee wrote:
@SW_Heroine_Journey wrote: @DeeBee
I'm trying not to get my hopes up that any information only know to novel readers prominently appears in IX. haha On the other hand, if it's something the LF Story Group insisted on, they will find a way!
Very Happy
@SW_Heroine_Journey
Hey that's a good plan!
I've just started reading bloodlines and I'm loving it - I keep thinking to myself - whoooo will this character be in IX?!

Hey what did you think of the whole double vision thing in Thrawn: Alliances? I thought it was interesting to get some kind of description of what is happening in the mind of a force user like that.. but as I was reading it via an audiobook I found it a little repetitive..

I also found that for the audio book there were times when thrawn's internal dialogue was said in Thrawn's voice - it threw me a little because I wasn't sure if he was talking out loud or talking to himself. lol.
Maybe it was just me trying to listen while driving, but I've not noticed this in other audio books so far.. and I've 'read' a few now..

Hey if a force user has this double vision thing - maybe they can use that to cheat at Sabacc. rofl.
sunny

@DeeBee
I know Timothy Zahn was a Legends author (then EU, creator of the infamous Mara Jade, correct?), and he is now with Canon - the Thrawn books - so I presumed that was how he always wrote light saber battles...yes? no? lol With the double vision. I thought it was intriguing, but with reading...regardless of genre/type of book, if it's a detailed part that seems extra to my little brain, I will read it fast - scan/skim it. So, I do wonder if I would have appreciated it more via audiobook (and I know my library has that option - I might look into it for SW books in the future).

It is interesting though - because with LF, I know the movies are the ultimate - I do feel frustrated with aspects only a book can do, versus a movie because of the pecking order. So, if items from all the books are introduced into IX, I hope it isn't those aspects we really love that only reading can provide. It's actual plot devices easily recreated in film, and can hopefully be interpreted the same way, as a reader with a book. Smile Very Happy
avatar
SW_Heroine_Journey
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 450
Likes : 1119
Date d'inscription : 2018-05-23
Age : 45

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum