J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!!

Page 15 of 19 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down

Re: J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!!

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 9:38 am

I was watching JJ's interview on Colbert this morning and my son asked who he was, so I told him "JJ Abrams, the director of The Force Awakens," and he said "JJ Binks???" Laughing

I'm so excited about a script being out there right now. I wonder if the cast has seen it yet bounce
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 9:46 am

@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:I was watching JJ's interview on Colbert this morning and my son asked who he was, so I told him "JJ Abrams, the director of The Force Awakens," and he said "JJ Binks???" Laughing

I'm so excited about a script being out there right now. I wonder if the cast has seen it yet bounce
@Cowgirlsamurai

he has a nickname given already by fans who weren't particularly happy with TFA- they called him Jar Jar Abrams Laughing

Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 9:54 am

@Night Huntress wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:I was watching JJ's interview on Colbert this morning and my son asked who he was, so I told him "JJ Abrams, the director of The Force Awakens," and he said "JJ Binks???" Laughing

@Cowgirlsamurai

he has a nickname given already by fans who weren't particularly happy with TFA- they called him Jar Jar Abrams Laughing

@Night Huntress

lol! I remembered that from this:

John and Kelly's reactions! Laughing
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 10:18 am

Gosh, did JJ confirm that he's going to 'fix' everything that's wrong with TLJ which Rian messed up, like how Rey is either Luke or Leia's daughter (they just forgot to tell her) or that all that hand holding, shirtlessness, and Force Skype sessions were 100% platonic because she's going to kill Kyle Ron and his evil boy band with her new boyfriend, BB-8's dad? Can't wait for the onslaught of fan think pieces about how not carrying water for the conspiracy theories and ideas they decided were the plot of the ST (instead of, you know, actually paying attention to what's on the screen) put Rey at risk as being a protagonist and the right type of strong female character/role model for little girls.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BB-Rey on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 10:22 am

I really enjoyed J.J. on Stephen Colbert. It's curious though how they already have a script. It makes me wonder how much of Colin Trevorrow's bits remain. As I remember reading that J.J. pitched the story to Disney in December and he only joined the project full time in September. That's not a really long time period for writing a story. It makes me think they're defintely using some of Colin's bits and George's treatments for that matter. As Kathy said...

" It was really much more to do with the specifics of the history of the saga. We changed the order of a few things, let’s put it that way. We didn’t make some wholesale change."

BB-Rey
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 10:38 am

@snufkin wrote:Gosh, did JJ confirm that he's going to 'fix' everything that's wrong with TLJ which Rian messed up, like how Rey is either Luke or Leia's daughter (they just forgot to tell her) or that all that hand holding, shirtlessness, and Force Skype sessions were 100% platonic because she's going to kill Kyle Ron and his evil boy band with her new boyfriend, BB-8's dad?  Can't wait for the onslaught of fan think pieces about how not carrying water for the conspiracy theories and ideas they decided were the plot of the ST (instead of, you know, actually paying attention to what's on the screen) put Rey at risk as being a protagonist and the right type of strong female character/role model for little girls.
@snufkin
Man, I sure hope he did! Otherwise how will I sleep at night knowing my childhood was forever ruined!?
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 10:43 am

@FrolickingFizzgig God, Fizz between you and me, that bastard ruined the childhood of two different generations!
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 11:00 am

J. J. sounded very relived they have a script way before they start shooting. LOL! Post production is going to be very hectic to get the movie out in time for 2019.

Birdwoman
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 11:35 am

I know everyone was thrilled when Trevorrow left IX, and I am also relieved since I question his writing abilities. And how he would have handled Reylo. Still, he was on the project for two years, I would be surprised if LF and JJ scrapped every single idea he had in that time. Great ideas and turning them into a great script are very different animals.

Also, as to the short development and writing phase, they are nearing the end, they know where they're going, it doesn't need to spend a year in development before they even erote the script like TFA when they were developing what this trilogy was even going to do and mean, who all the characters were, etc. Plus I am thinking a lot of that earlier development was done with Trevorrow, he just seemed to struggle with the phase after that. On top of the fact there are two writers as there was with most of TFA, rather than Rian spending six months doing the first TLJ script draft by himself.

If anything, it seems JJ actually had more time to write this than TFA.
californiagirl
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 11:52 am

@californiagirl wrote:I know everyone was thrilled when Trevorrow left IX, and I am also relieved since I question his writing abilities. And how he would have handled Reylo. Still, he was on the project for two years, I would be surprised if LF and JJ scrapped every single idea he had in that time. Great ideas and turning them into a great script are very different animals.

Also, as to the short development and writing phase, they are nearing the end, they know where they're going, it doesn't need to spend a year in development before they even erote the script like TFA when they were developing what this trilogy was even going to do and mean, who all the characters were, etc. Plus I am thinking a lot of that earlier development was done with Trevorrow, he just seemed to struggle with the phase after that. On top of the fact there are two writers as there was with most of TFA, rather than Rian spending six months doing the first TLJ script draft by himself.

@californiagirl

I was just saying this in another thread and come here to find it was already being discussed! I agree. And if some of Trevorrow's ideas were kept, and because J.J. no doubt already had ideas for the end of his particular story percolating since TFA even if he didn't think he'd be writing it, it makes sense that the turnaround was relatively quick.
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 1:40 pm

@ZioRen wrote:
@californiagirl wrote:I know everyone was thrilled when Trevorrow left IX, and I am also relieved since I question his writing abilities. And how he would have handled Reylo. Still, he was on the project for two years, I would be surprised if LF and JJ scrapped every single idea he had in that time. Great ideas and turning them into a great script are very different animals.

@californiagirl

I was just saying this in another thread and come here to find it was already being discussed! I agree. And if some of Trevorrow's ideas were kept, and because J.J. no doubt already had ideas for the end of his particular story percolating since TFA even if he didn't think he'd be writing it, it makes sense that the turnaround was relatively quick.
@ZioRen

Right.

I do find it interesting that shooting starts in late July. That's a bit of a pushback from the last pushback...wasn't the last official start date for the shoot sometime in June?
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 1:46 pm

@ISeeAnIsland
That date was indeed thrown around but I don't actually remember where that information came from now.
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 2:04 pm

@ZioRen wrote:

@californiagirl

@ZioRen

Agreed. JJ had read the TLJ script years before it actually came out, even though, at the time he wasn't planning on coming back to do IX. He must have had some ideas swirling around in his brain over the years, so it's not like they're starting completely from scratch. As mentioned above, he's still had more time writing on IX than TFA (that one was very rushed). Also, while he officially boarded the project back in September I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was before that (sometimes it takes time for the news to come out).

@ISeeAnIsland I find that interesting too. It was previously reported as June so they seem to have pushed it back. They must require more time for prep. Principal photography on TFA lasted nearly 6 months (May 16 - 3 Nov 2014) while TLJ was 5 months (Feb - July 22 2016). So I'm guessing 5/6 months for IX which would mean Dec/Jan 2019. That's going to be a very tight turnaround time for post-production.

@ZioRen That date was originally provided from the website Omega Underground. They also provided details about the BR 2049 art director joining IX (which was corroborated by The Hollywood Reporter).

JJ seemed pretty relieved at the script being finished ahead of time. It seems like a pretty basic requirement but I'm guessing this reflects his experience working on TFA. IIRC, the script was written in a very short amount of time (something like 6 weeks), and then they began shooting. Harrison Ford then had the accident on the Millenium Falcon where the hydraulic door fell on his leg and he was taken to hospital. Production was suspended for two weeks and I recall an interview with JJ where he said that gave them the opportunity to fine tune and tweak the script. There were a lot of problems during that shoot. Hopefully this means production goes more smoothly this time and that they had the time to come up with a good story worthy of wrapping up the saga.

Last edited by Kylo Rey on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fanthatracks revealed codename for IX.)
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by nickandnora on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 2:24 pm

I think the story itself has been done for a long time (whether there's a detailed storyboard, or a script treatment, I don't know). Whatever events were in Trevorrow's script are probably also going to be in this script (minus whatever adjustment they had to make for Carrie's death), just the actual wording or whatever is going to be different.

There's just too much of the actual story seeded in TFA and TLJ. Far, far too much, and if they don't see it through to completion now, it's going to look silly. But I think it has been the exact same story all the way through.

nickandnora
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Thu 22 Feb 2018, 2:38 pm

My bad, it was Fantha Tracks, not Omega Underground that revealed the Black Diamond code name. But my point stands, they seem to be reliable thus far.
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 11:59 am

Found this on reddit: it was posted yesterday with the warning to take it with the grain of salt:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/7zj67r/rumor_allegedly_trevorrows_exit_from_episode_ix/

I’m taking this with a grain of salt, but I thought it’d be worth discussion...

Ben Bateman was a guest on Collider Movie Talk. Apparently he’s a journalist and talk show host type of guy. He said he heard stories that Trevorrow was excused from Episode IX after requesting changes to TLJ. Not much more was said, but I tweeted to him to see if he’s got any other details.

Again, take it with a grain of salt, but I could see this being a real possibility, especially if it was regarding Leia surviving TLJ.
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 12:24 pm

Interesting. I eagerly await a tell-all memoir from Colin someday lol
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 12:32 pm

@Darth_Awakened wrote:Found this on reddit: it was posted yesterday with the warning to take it with the grain of salt:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/7zj67r/rumor_allegedly_trevorrows_exit_from_episode_ix/

Ben Bateman was a guest on Collider Movie Talk. Apparently he’s a journalist and talk show host type of guy. He said he heard stories that Trevorrow was excused from Episode IX after requesting changes to TLJ. Not much more was said, but I tweeted to him to see if he’s got any other details.

Again, take it with a grain of salt, but I could see this being a real possibility, especially if it was regarding Leia surviving TLJ.
@Darth_Awakened

Interesting.  Mentally, my instinct went straight to Colin asking to kill off Leia, too. Either that, or he wanted Luke around (in non-FG form) for IX.

That could also be one of the reasons why KK and Rian were so adamant publicly about Carrie's/Leia's role in TLJ not undergoing any changes after Carrie's death.
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 12:41 pm

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@Darth_Awakened wrote:Found this on reddit: it was posted yesterday with the warning to take it with the grain of salt:

@Darth_Awakened

Interesting. Mentally, my instinct went straight to Colin asking to kill of Leia, too. Either that, or he wanted Luke around (in non-FG form) for IX.

That could also be one of the reasons why KK and Rian were so adamant publicly about Carrie's/Leia's role in TLJ not undergoing any changes after Carrie's death.
@ISeeAnIsland

If it's legit I can definitely see the following scenario: Colin: If you don't change this or that I'am out!

Also I think it was Leia in question. There were pretty strong hints all along that she would be playing a crucial role in IX. So, maybe Colin was incapable to find the way how to solve it.
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 12:43 pm

@Darth_Awakened wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:

@Darth_Awakened

Interesting. Mentally, my instinct went straight to Colin asking to kill of Leia, too. Either that, or he wanted Luke around (in non-FG form) for IX.

@ISeeAnIsland

If it's legit I can definitely see the following scenario: Colin: If you don't change this or that I'am out!

Also I think it was Leia in question. There were pretty strong hints all along that she would be playing a crucial role in IX. So, maybe Colin was incapable to find the way how to solve it.
@Darth_Awakened

It makes a ton of sense that it would have to do with Carrie/Leia.

He turned in that first draft or treatment of the script right before Carrie died. After she died, there was the whole "we're starting from scratch thing" and rumors of re-write after re-write after re-write, including LF hiring the Cursed Child guy to work on the script with him.
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 12:53 pm

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@Darth_Awakened wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:

@Darth_Awakened

@ISeeAnIsland

@Darth_Awakened

It makes a ton of sense that it would have to do with Carrie/Leia.

He turned in that first draft or treatment of the script right before Carrie died. After she died, there was the whole "we're starting from scratch thing" and rumors of re-write after re-write after re-write, including LF hiring the Cursed Child guy to work on the script with him.
@ISeeAnIsland

And probably if the rumor is legit - he couldn't come up with the story not involving Leia - or at least make the end game that works without her.
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 1:25 pm

So you think the issue is he couldn't figure out a way to have Leia gone at the very start of IX and asked Rian to just give her a death scene in TLJ? I don't know, it doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to have some kind of off-screen explanation for her death in a movie about war. It might not be the most satisfying thing in the world but I think the general audience would understand why it had to be that way. I could understand if the prospect of having to rewrite his whole script to not include Leia led to massive frustration and friction that took him off the project, but the conflict being about a change he wanted Rian to make raises a lot more questions. Not so sure it was about Leia.
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 1:46 pm

@ZioRen wrote:So you think the issue is he couldn't figure out a way to have Leia gone at the very start of IX and asked Rian to just give her a death scene in TLJ? I don't know, it doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to have some kind of off-screen explanation for her death in a movie about war. It might not be the most satisfying thing in the world but I think the general audience would understand why it had to be that way. I could understand if the prospect of having to rewrite his whole script to not include Leia led to massive frustration and friction that took him off the project, but the conflict being about a change he wanted Rian to make raises a lot more questions. Not so sure it was about Leia.
@ZioRen

Not necessarily that he couldn't figure out how to have Leia gone, but maybe his arc for Ben/Kylo was too dependent on Leia's presence in some way?
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 1:52 pm

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@ZioRen wrote:So you think the issue is he couldn't figure out a way to have Leia gone at the very start of IX and asked Rian to just give her a death scene in TLJ? I don't know, it doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to have some kind of off-screen explanation for her death in a movie about war. It might not be the most satisfying thing in the world but I think the general audience would understand why it had to be that way. I could understand if the prospect of having to rewrite his whole script to not include Leia led to massive frustration and friction that took him off the project, but the conflict being about a change he wanted Rian to make raises a lot more questions. Not so sure it was about Leia.
@ZioRen

Not necessarily that he couldn't figure out how to have Leia gone, but maybe his arc for Ben/Kylo was too dependent on Leia's presence in some way?
@ISeeAnIsland

Then wouldn't he be an advocate for CGI/recast Leia? In which case, the way TLJ ended her arc would be perfect because she lived. So what was he trying to change about TLJ in regards to her? Or maybe the change he wanted was about Luke?

This whole thing is so confusing! Laughing It's not even certain that journalist is correct. Maybe one day we'll know the story.
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 1:57 pm

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@ZioRen

@ISeeAnIsland

yeah, that's possible. Maybe it's just my wishful thinking- but what if they intended to make IX more political and personal. Ben as the Leader of the FO could have reached out to his mother- not to kill her but to offer some sort of treaty? Confus

I don't know. But obviously JJ & his co writer figured something out.
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 19 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum