J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!!

Page 17 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down

Re: J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!!

Post by Darth_Awakened on Sat 24 Feb - 11:38

@Saracene wrote:
@Darth_Awakened wrote:My main complaint about TLJ in general (the initial reaction was the overall "coldness" of the movie and I needed time to come up what was it exactly) is the "distant" characters. I didn't feel them the way I felt the characters in TFA ( and the OT for that part). I'am not a big expert for the matter but I think it depends on a director for the most part.
JJ made me care for the characters. The biggest example for it is Finn. His arc in TFA wasn't anything special and it had flaws but I did care for him. And thought the character had an immense potential going forward (in a sense of B plot to Kylo/Rey A plot).
Not only Finn looked passive in TLJ, but Rian didn't make me care for him at all. Even worse happened to Poe.

@Darth_Awakened

I think the big difference is that in TFA, John's charm and exuberance papered over the (huge massive) flaws in Finn's characterisation. In TLJ he's more serious and subdued, so there's no real charm or energy and no strong characterisation either.

To be fair though, charm and energy can only carry you so far and at some point substance has to kick in. It worked in TFA, I'm not sure if it would have worked again second time around and negated the lack of a real interesting arc for Finn. Like, the acting in Star Trek: Into Darkness and the interactions between Kirk and Spock were no worse than in the original JJ film, but because they couldn't come up with compelling character material and basically recycled the same beats, the characters still fell flat.
@Saracene

Oh I agree with that. And in the context of TFA being just a set up or introduction into the new trilogy -it worked. I'll be more clever after the IX for the final verdict.
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Sat 24 Feb - 16:44

I've never been more happy with a LFL decision than when they fired Colin Trevorrow. Jurassic World was the epitome of a generic, soulless action flick - the complete antithesis of Jurassic Park. I wasn't looking forward to IX AT ALL when he was at the helm. I'm 99% sure it would have been a load of utter drivel. He really doesn't have any special, defining characteristics unlike other directors you can think of - even the very flawed ones.

@special_cases Thanks for posting this! Very interesting. So I didn't really pay much mind to some of the stuff that he said but now that TLJ is out, it almost sounds like he was going to retcon a lot of stuff like what @IoJovi had been saying in that thread. Rey's parentage was going to be "deeply and profoundly satisfying" ummm what??? That was resolved in TLJ and he already knew that! He also promised that it would be somone we already met. That almost certainly sounds like Reywalker/Reynobi. Another thing to point out was that his profoundly satisfying quote led to a lot of debate and discussion that Rey's parentage wasn't going to be resolved until IX. This is a direct contradiction of TLJ lol.

When I got to this part:

Fandango: Rian Johnson has a list of movies he watched that helped inform Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Do you have a list of movies you watched or are watching right now to help you prepare?

Trevorrow: I mean, I watch movies all the time just cause I'm a person, but I'm not in a research phase right now. I also do a strange thing, which maybe isn't the right thing to do, but as I get close to a movie I stop watching movies that are similar to it because I'm afraid I'm going to rip off shots from them or something and I want it to feel pure and instinctive all along the way. There'll be an interview someday where I'll say what those movies were that inspired me, and they'll print it. That's not yet, not yet.

WTF lol??? I've never seen a director say something like this before. He refused to watch movies and do research bevause he was afraid he was going to "rip off shots", ummm ok then. It's his job to know how to find interesting shots/influences when directing.

Found this from that thread too. Certainly lends more credence to his personality post-TLJ:

But to hear speculation from a ranking Hollywood movie insider with direct knowledge of the productions on both The Book of Henry and Jurassic World (and who requested anonymity out of concern for sensitive ongoing business relationships), Trevorrow’s firing may have come more directly as a consequence of being “difficult.”

“During the making of Jurassic World, he focused a great deal of his creative energies on asserting his opinion,” the executive explains. “But because he had been personally hired by Spielberg, nobody could say, ‘You’re fired.’ Once that film went through the roof and he chose to do Henry, [Trevorrow] was unbearable. He had an egotistical point of view— and he was always asserting that.”

Then, during preproduction on Episode IX, Trevorrow’s relationship with Lucasfilm top brass became reportedly “unmanageable” over the course of “repeated stabs at multiple drafts” of the script.

“When the reviews for Book of Henry came out, there was immediately conjecture that Kathy was going to dump him because they weren’t thrilled with working with him anyway,” the executive continues. “He’s a difficult guy. He’s really, really, really confident. Let’s call it that.”

It sounds like Book of Henry was just the last straw tbh. He also said this:

And in terms of that surfeit of self-belief, Trevorrow admitted to as much in an interview with Esquire in 2015. “Directors require a level of confidence that can border on the delusional,” Trevorrow said. “You have to push it right up to the edge of arrogance, but never cross the line.”

I also just remembered that he wanted to shoot IX in (literal) Outer Space.
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases on Sat 24 Feb - 17:07

@Kylo Rey LOL great minds think alike!

I posted the same thing in his thread! How can you seriously talk about "rip off shots" if you're directing STAR WARS EPISODE NINE. Hmm, no, I'm not doing research - what if I would be influenced too much? Just sad.

I was shocked when I read this.
special_cases
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Sat 24 Feb - 17:16

@Saracene wrote:Jurassic World was on TV the other night, and ehhhh I'm glad that Trevorrow is off the Episode IX Twisted Evil JJ with all his faults is still a far better option.
@Saracene

what? You didn't like how that red-haired awkward scientist lady outran the T-Rex in her high heels ? lol! lol! lol!

The day they announced Trevorrow is out I celebrated with champagne! The Book of Henry was meehhh as well imho

I'm so glad JJ is back- and I'm one of the persons who didn't like TFA at first. Let's be honest that movie has tons of flaws BUT- it has heart and strength where it matters for me most... the characters.

Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Sat 24 Feb - 17:27

It's honestly kind of ironic CT was so intent on not "ripping off shots" from other movies while the ENTIRE SW movie saga is all about homages to old movies.
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Sun 25 Feb - 0:22

I know JJ has issues, I thought the whole Starkiller Base thing was stupid, but for 6 weeks that was a dang fine script, and in some ways I love TFA more than some of the OT material. I wasn't worried when he was rehired, honestly I think he's a better fit to close out the saga than Rian.

Maybe he'll show everyone up and buck his reputation for being safe and not finishing things. I have a bizzare amount of faith going into IX. Usually that sets people up for disappointment, but it worked for TLJ! Maybe having expectations not completely disconnected from reality was key.
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases on Sun 25 Feb - 0:33

I think Starkiller Base was an idea from Lucas. They just made it boring.

The weakest part of the script was Rey-Finn-Han on Falcon, JJ added and removed some things after Ford's incident. I think they expanded Rey-Finn scene on Falcon because of that. I usually skip Rathtars scene while rewatching TFA, so boring. Crying or Very sad
special_cases
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Sun 25 Feb - 0:36

@special_cases wrote:I think Starkiller Base was an idea from Lucas. They just made it boring.

The weakest part of the script was Rey-Finn-Han on Falcon, JJ added and removed some things after Ford's incident. I think they expanded Rey-Finn scene on Falcon because of that. I usually skip Rathtars scene while rewatching TFA, so boring. Crying or Very sad
@special_cases

People complain about Canto Bight being boring but the Rathtars scene to me is the single worst part of both TFA and TLJ. So zzzzzz. TLJ is way more richer thematically and each scene is so dense that I have a feeling I'll be rewatching it a lot more than TFA.
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire on Sun 25 Feb - 0:39

@Kylo Rey wrote:

People complain about Canto Bight being boring but the Rathtars scene to me is the single worst part of both TFA and TLJ. So zzzzzz. TLJ is way more richer thematically and each scene is so dense that I have a feeling I'll be rewatching it a lot more than TFA.
@Kylo Rey

ooooooooo yeah, I definitely agree with you on that ^ I didn't mind the Canto Bight scene. Did I get up and use that scene for a bathroom break after the first couple of times I saw the movie? Yeah, but I did like the costuming and set design. And I know it has it's faults but I liked the socio-political discussion there too. Plus, I'm a sucker for BDT's DJ lol
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Sun 25 Feb - 0:49

@Kylo Rey wrote:
@special_cases wrote:I think Starkiller Base was an idea from Lucas. They just made it boring.

@special_cases

@Kylo Rey

The cutesy stable kids and the cutesy animal chase narrowly beat out the Rathtars for me in zzzzz department tongue I wish the Rathtars showed up in TLJ and ate them.
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Rowan on Sun 25 Feb - 1:24

@Saracene wrote:
@Kylo Rey wrote:

@special_cases

@Kylo Rey

The cutesy stable kids and the cutesy animal chase narrowly beat out the Rathtars for me in zzzzz department tongue I wish the Rathtars showed up in TLJ and ate them.
@Saracene

In my heart, this is already canon. Twisted Evil

And count me in as someone who is glad to see JJ back. Especially paired with Terio, who has the chops to make characters easy to root for and relate to even in a short amount of time. Argo had this in spades, and it’s something that TLJ was lacking in, IMO. I do hope that JJ will be more disciplined as far as staying on target and keeping the mystery boxes and callbacks to a necessary minimum this time around, but overall I am optimistic.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 on Sun 25 Feb - 3:06

In my mind, JJ has always been a love-child of Spielberg and Ron Howard because he's so fantastic with characterization and gauging the emotional levels of a scene. When I first heard about Terrio's involvement, I was pretty disappointed because of JL and BvS, but you're right, Argo was excellent as far as characterization goes... so we'll see.
Dar-ren19
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee on Sun 25 Feb - 5:50

@Kylo Rey wrote:

@special_cases

@Kylo Rey

Tell that to Kanjiklub! Twisted Evil

[sorry couldn't resist - and I agree Laughing ]
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Sat 3 Mar - 20:38

Another update from JJ. This is from February 16th:

“I can’t wait for you to see what we are doing with ‘9’. It is probably a little too early to talk about the specifics of ‘9’, but I will say I feel like where we are with these characters is something that feels right and thrilling.”

https://www.metro.us/entertainment/movies/kathleen-kennedy-female-star-wars-writers-directors
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Wed 18 Apr - 1:29

JJ's second unit director just announced, Victoria Mahoney, evidently an Ava suggestion.

On a non-SW note, a female director was announced for the Harley Quinn movie. Good day for women in film.

Announced by Ava:

And Victoria Mahoney's response:

Was unsure where to put this, should we start a Twitter/Instagram thread for IX?
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Wed 18 Apr - 1:34

@californiagirl wrote:JJ's second unit director just announced, Victoria Mahoney, evidently an Ava suggestion.

On a non-SW note, a female director was announced for the Harley Quinn movie. Good day for women in film.

Announced by Ava:

And Victoria Mahoney's response:

Was unsure where to put this, should we start a Twitter/Instagram thread for IX?
@californiagirl

Yeah, I think we should make a twitter/instagram thread now we're starting to get announcements for IX. Historic news! Looks like JJ took Ava's advice on this, and I just remembered it was her suggestion to include those choker shots of Rey and Ben on the edge of the cliff at the end of TFA. So what do second unit directors do?

Last edited by Kylo Rey on Wed 18 Apr - 1:36; edited 1 time in total
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah on Wed 18 Apr - 1:35

@Kylo Rey "The second unit of a film is a crew that is responsible for shooting supplementary footage; this includes establishing shots, stunts, inserts, and cutaways. This crew is separate from the first unit, which is the team that films scenes with the leading cast."
rawpowah
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases on Wed 18 Apr - 2:13

Sometimes a second unit works with important shots too. JJ usually gives a lot of freedom for his team. It's actually a reason I think we will get more spoilers\rumors than from TLJ. JJ shares more stuff with people and asks for advice.
special_cases
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Wed 18 Apr - 2:36

Guys, we're simply going to move the Tweets/Instagram thread from the TLJ subforum to the Episode IX subforum, since Episode IX is becoming the real deal. Wink

ETA: Aaaand it's done.

Last edited by Irina de France on Wed 18 Apr - 2:37; edited 1 time in total
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 18 Apr - 2:37

Fanboys can boo hoo about JJ all they want, but his friendship with Ava's the real deal. They've worked together and advised each other on a variety of projects and she's a savvy businesswoman. So if she's talking him up and advising him on who to hire, it's because there's a genuine respect there. And yes, absolutely great news that the 2nd in command comes recommended by her.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Wed 18 Apr - 7:15

Random addendum: Does JJ look a lot grayer than he did at even the TLJ premiere, or am I seeing things? I hope the whole TLJ/IX experience hasn't aged him too much, what with the horrific backlash, everyone expecting him to undo the film to set everything right, the novelization revealing how Rey downloaded Kylo's skills and memories in TFA probably before the fact should have gone public, Simon Pegg going around claiming Rey's parents are someone else.... Sad
Though I actually think he looks kind of good in gray. Very Happy
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Wed 18 Apr - 18:46

@californiagirl wrote:Random addendum: Does JJ look a lot grayer than he did at even the TLJ premiere, or am I seeing things? I hope the whole TLJ/IX experience hasn't aged him too much, what with the horrific backlash, everyone expecting him to undo the film to set everything right, the novelization revealing how Rey downloaded Kylo's skills and memories in TFA probably before the fact should have gone public, Simon Pegg going around claiming Rey's parents are someone else.... Sad
Though I actually think he looks kind of good in gray. Very Happy
@californiagirl

as far as I know stress making your hair graying is a myth. It's all genetic...Nope
what I saw of JJ in public interviews he seems like a very reasonable and relaxed guy. He isn't active on social media like Rian- but my personal feeling is that he is similar regarding fan reactions. He is respectful but it doesn't influence his decisions...

Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 18 Apr - 19:35

Oh he's outright said that what hardcore fans think (or feel entitled to) won't dictate the story. And man's had plenty of experience as the recipient of nerd rage as an actual successful nerd who made it to the majors, that he's not going to be sweating it.

Man, just think about the fact that up until last September, the mindset around here was that hopefully TLJ would at least be good and take advantage of how the two central characters are at their best when they're bouncing off of each other. And that we'd be happy with that b/c IX didn't look promising based on how CT handled female characters and relationships in JW. Post TLJ and the Return of the JJ, it's like the best case scenario none of us expected could happen has already come into play. Standard disclaimer that he still could screw it up. But based on every interview he gave on his own or with Kasdan, plus the DVD commentary track, it'll be a real shock if he bungles it at the finish line. And continuing to get input from Ava on the ST beyond her ideas becoming the most iconic part of Snow Fight also bodes pretty well. So I don't really see much to discuss on the topic other than how well things really seem to be working out.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 on Wed 18 Apr - 19:53

Ava was responsible for the idea of the snow fight?
Dar-ren19
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Wed 18 Apr - 20:33

Oh, JJ is delightful to be sure, he seems very sweet and fairly composed, as is Rian, though I recall the cast saying they had very different energies. Given that most of the big TLJ things are done and we're moving on to IX, I've actually been looking around for old JJ interviews, though there isn't a ton to find, as Rian has an abnormal amount of press and fan interaction.

JJ is more energetic and likes to change things as he goes, while Rian has to have everything prepared before he shoots. Rian's movies are known for being really meta and deconstructing genres, JJ is known for being nostalgic and able to embody various franchises really well. Rian writes slowly, JJ writes quickly. Rian has said that starting a story and its characters and world is the hardest part of writing, but that is what JJ is best known for. They are such different filmmakers, but here they are getting along and telling one big awesome story together.

I mean, The ST itself is about two very opposite people getting over their differences and doing great things.
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum