J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!!

Page 18 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down

Re: J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!!

Post by rawpowah on Wed 18 Apr 2018, 1:34 pm

@Dar-ren19 She's responsible for the close-ups of Rey and Kylo when they're "finding the force together".
rawpowah
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 18 Apr 2018, 1:38 pm

@Dar-ren19 JJ showed her the rough footage after they'd filmed it in Pinewood during the initial 2014 production and it was her idea to have the close ups/choker shots part. So that we see moments like her really coming down on him with one of the blows that takes him down. But based on that discussion, JJ did the additional shots in LA which included the moment on the cliff where they're "finding the Force together...or whatever." Which is one of THE most iconic (and beautiful) shots in the entire franchise. In a film which gets written off by fans who supposedly know better as "just a re-hash." But it was her input which helped shape that whole sequence and those choker shots, so she gets a lot of love around these parts because it's iconic.

ETA- Did a quick Google on Victoria Mahoney to get an idea of how she ended up as second-in-command and her background:

+ Started out as an actress, including a supporting role in Legally Blonde
+ Made her debut as a writer/director in 2011 with a semi-autobiographical film, Yelling to the Sky
Wikipedia wrote:The film, which starred Zoe Kravitz as a troubled teen and Jason Clarke as her abusive alcoholic father, debuted in competition at the 61st Berlin International Film Festival.[1] She developed the script through the help of the Directors and Screenwriters Sundance Institute Labs and was awarded the title of Auerbach Screenwriting Fellow, Annerberg Film Fellow, Cinereach Fellow, Maryland Fellow, IFP Narrative Lab fellow and a Tribeca Film Fellow. The film was written and directed by Victoria Mahoney. The film received credit from the 61st Berlin International Film Festival and the Golden Bear. Victoria was the first woman director/writer, American invited in over sixty years invited to the Golden Bear competition.
+ She was one of the core group of female directors Ava DuVernay recruited to direct Queen Sugar, which she's earned kudos over for the cinematography of one of her episodes.
+ She's also been working with Patty Jenkins on her TV project, One Day She’ll Darken
+ Also working with Ava on another TV project, an adaption of Octavia Butler's Dawn.

tl:dr - she sounds awesome, stoked that we'll be getting a female director shaping the story, and while LF is paying lip service in some respects to leveling the playing field and getting more women behind the camera, Ava's actually doing it and the friendship/business relationship with JJ is the real deal, especially that he's taking her advice on things like Snow Fight and who to hire.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire on Wed 18 Apr 2018, 5:54 pm

@Dar-ren19 wrote:Ava was responsible for the idea of the snow fight?
@Dar-ren19

from what I gather, Anna saw early footage of the snow fight and made some suggestions and so they did some reshoots. I can't remember if they said what she suggested specifically but I thought I had read she helped JJ made the symbolism & the emotion between Rey & Kylo stronger.
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Wed 18 Apr 2018, 6:18 pm

@californiagirl wrote:Oh, JJ is delightful to be sure, he seems very sweet and fairly composed, as is Rian, though I recall the cast saying they had very different energies. Given that most of the big TLJ things are done and we're moving on to IX, I've actually been looking around for old JJ interviews, though there isn't a ton to find, as Rian has an abnormal amount of press and fan interaction.

JJ is more energetic and likes to change things as he goes, while Rian has to have everything prepared before he shoots. Rian's movies are known for being really meta and deconstructing genres, JJ is known for being nostalgic and able to embody various franchises really well. Rian writes slowly, JJ writes quickly. Rian has said that starting a story and its characters and world is the hardest part of writing, but that is what JJ is best known for. They are such different filmmakers, but here they are getting along and telling one big awesome story together.

I mean, The ST itself is about two very opposite people getting over their differences and doing great things.
@californiagirl

You left out his obsession with the mystery box Very Happy. But in all seriousness, JJ is a very energetic guy, and that's completely reflected in his movies and the pacing. Rian is very laid back and calm, seems like he hardly ever gets angry and seems to be extremely meticulous and has a very laser focused vision, knows exactly what he wants etc. Yeah, JJ is quite flexible and always seems to change stuff as he goes along. I mean watching the behind the scenes of the LOST pilot (still one of the all time great TV pilots, JJ did a fantastic job, especially under the extreme pressure), him and Lindelof were still making tweaks and working on the script as they were shooting the episode.

Btw, he was at the Westworld S2 premiere yesterday:

Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Wed 18 Apr 2018, 8:27 pm

@Kylo Rey wrote:
@californiagirl wrote:Oh, JJ is delightful to be sure, he seems very sweet and fairly composed, as is Rian, though I recall the cast saying they had very different energies. Given that most of the big TLJ things are done and we're moving on to IX, I've actually been looking around for old JJ interviews, though there isn't a ton to find, as Rian has an abnormal amount of press and fan interaction.

JJ is more energetic and likes to change things as he goes, while Rian has to have everything prepared before he shoots. Rian's movies are known for being really meta and deconstructing genres, JJ is known for being nostalgic and able to embody various franchises really well. Rian writes slowly, JJ writes quickly. Rian has said that starting a story and its characters and world is the hardest part of writing, but that is what JJ is best known for. They are such different filmmakers, but here they are getting along and telling one big awesome story together.

I mean, The ST itself is about two very opposite people getting over their differences and doing great things.
@californiagirl

You left out his obsession with the mystery box Very Happy. But in all seriousness, JJ is a very energetic guy, and that's completely reflected in his movies and the pacing. Rian is very laid back and calm, seems like he hardly ever gets angry and seems to be extremely meticulous and has a very laser focused vision, knows exactly what he wants etc. Yeah, JJ is quite flexible and always seems to change stuff as he goes along. I mean watching the behind the scenes of the LOST pilot (still one of the all time great TV pilots, JJ did a fantastic job, especially under the extreme pressure), him and Lindelof were still making tweaks and working on the script as they were shooting the episode.

Btw, he was at the Westworld S2 premiere yesterday:

@Kylo Rey

How could I forget the (in)famous mystery boxes?!!!

And he doesn't look like he suddenly aged in this picture! I think the lighting was just bad in the one with him and Vic Mahoney.

I feel bad that he gets a bunch of crap from people about how he never has answers for the mystery boxes and can't write a story. He wasn't even that involved in Lost by the later seasons, it was just others running the show and pandering to the fans, from what I heard. Not the approach they're doing with the ST, thank goodness!
californiagirl
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Sun 29 Apr 2018, 9:39 am

Antis: JJ will save us!

JJ: “..all that matters to me is the love story. Sometimes it’s obvious, sometimes a bit more complicated, it’s the thing I had to find first. Without a doubt, but I already know I want to approach this project in a different way because Star Wars, it’s a special world.”
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Sun 29 Apr 2018, 10:12 am

@Kylo Rey wrote:Antis: JJ will save us!

JJ: “..all that matters to me is the love story. Sometimes it’s obvious, sometimes a bit more complicated, it’s the thing I had to find first. Without a doubt, but I already know I want to approach this project in a different way because Star Wars, it’s a special world.”
@Kylo Rey

JJ already told all that needed to be told even before he started shooting TFA. Everybody ignored him.
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Sun 29 Apr 2018, 10:22 am

@Darth_Awakened wrote:
@Kylo Rey wrote:Antis: JJ will save us!

@Kylo Rey

JJ already told all that needed to be told even before he started shooting TFA. Everybody ignored him.
@Darth_Awakened

It will be very interesting - JJ doesn't interact with fans that much or is active on social media. So I'm sure IX will be a complete surprise for many of the "JJ will save us..." fanboys and antis.

I don't get it- I mean JJ is the prime reylo. He invented the characters and he created that awesome interrogation and fight scene in TFA.
He made Kylo bridal carry Rey to his ship for no reason...Rolling Eyes
Of course he couldn't go as far as RJ because it was the first movie and Rey & Kylo just met. But with IX? I don't think he will be as subtle about it anymore.

Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Sun 29 Apr 2018, 10:45 am

Good grief, where is that quote from? It will be fun over the next year or two to dig up the veritable gold mine of pre-TFA quotes.

I'm just hoping that since we are nearing the end of the trilogy he can be a bit more open now, since the series isn't as shrouded in mystery anymore. Especially if he's frustrated that viewers aren't following his story and think he's going to make a movie the opposite of what he's actually going to do!
californiagirl
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 on Mon 30 Apr 2018, 12:05 pm

@californiagirl wrote:Good grief, where is that quote from? It will be fun over the next year or two to dig up the veritable gold mine of pre-TFA quotes.

I'm just hoping that since we are nearing the end of the trilogy he can be a bit more open now, since the series isn't as shrouded in mystery anymore. Especially if he's frustrated that viewers aren't following his story and think he's going to make a movie the opposite of what he's actually going to do!
@californiagirl

I think he said that before TFA came out- I think in a French magazine. From what I remember though, the person asked if there would be a love story and JJ responded something like "without a doubt but want to approach differently." It was pretty vague when I read it.
rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Fri 11 May 2018, 1:41 pm

“I had a bunch of ideas from the beginning, back on VII, of where the story would go,” said Mr. Abrams. “I just never in my wildest dreams thought I would have a chance to execute them.”

New quote from the Wall Street Journal.
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight13 on Fri 11 May 2018, 1:45 pm

@Kylo Rey wrote:
“I had a bunch of ideas from the beginning, back on VII, of where the story would go,” said Mr. Abrams. “I just never in my wildest dreams thought I would have a chance to execute them.”

New quote from the Wall Street Journal.
@Kylo Rey
Help  Help  Help
Moonlight13

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Fri 11 May 2018, 2:12 pm

Also, more interesting info from the full WSJ article I found that I posted in the Trevorrow thread:

People who have worked with her [Kennedy] on past movies, including “E.T.,” “Jurassic Park” and “The Sixth Sense,” described her as more of a skilled manager than creative mastermind. At Disney, she has worked closely on creative matters with film studio chairman Alan Horn and Mr. Kasdan, the strongest remaining link to the original “Star Wars” trilogy since Mr. Lucas retired.

Mr. Kasdan, who hadn’t made a studio movie in more than a decade before returning to Lucasfilm, co-wrote “The Force Awakens” and “Solo” and consulted on the writing and editing of “The Last Jedi.”

Kasdan was consulted on the writing and editing of TLJ. His involvement and creative influence becomes ever greater by the day and more than initially thought with regards to TLJ. That snippet clearly lays out that KK looks to him with regards to creative matters. So he's not just a significant factor when it comes to TFA only, but perhaps the greatest creative driving force behind the entire ST
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Fri 11 May 2018, 2:30 pm

@Kylo Rey wrote:Also, more interesting info from the full WSJ article I found that I posted in the Trevorrow thread:

People who have worked with her [Kennedy] on past movies, including “E.T.,” “Jurassic Park” and “The Sixth Sense,” described her as more of a skilled manager than creative mastermind. At Disney, she has worked closely on creative matters with film studio chairman Alan Horn and Mr. Kasdan, the strongest remaining link to the original “Star Wars” trilogy since Mr. Lucas retired.

Mr. Kasdan, who hadn’t made a studio movie in more than a decade before returning to Lucasfilm, co-wrote “The Force Awakens” and “Solo” and consulted on the writing and editing of “The Last Jedi.”

Kasdan was consulted on the writing and editing of TLJ. His involvement and creative influence becomes ever greater by the day and more than initially thought with regards to TLJ. That snippet clearly lays out that KK looks to him with regards to creative matters. So he's not just a significant factor when it comes to TFA only, but perhaps the greatest creative driving force behind the entire ST
@Kylo Rey

I knew that JJ and Rian collaborated on TLJ, but there had been no mention of Kasdan up until this point. He said he wouldn't do another episode film for SW, only the Han Solo movie(s), so this surprises me. Wonder if he has any involvement in IX, or if he thinks JJ, who I still think is the originator of Reylo, since he got to be executive producer for TLJ and IX even before he was rehired as director-writer, will be fine with Terrio instead. JJ likes having other people's input in his work, so he likely will.

It's just that Kasdan gives something to the execution of the ideas playing across the screen that few other people could bring. Maybe this is his swan song, and good on him. Given the recent indications that he was not thrilled with the onscreen result of Hanleia in the OT, perhaps he's finally exacting some sort of revenge in the ST!
californiagirl
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Fri 11 May 2018, 3:29 pm

@Kylo Rey cough, consulted on the writing and editing of “The Last Jedi.”. Yeah like what have we been saying on this forum about his influence on the ST and Rey/Ben's relationship, going back two years - back when fanboys and the 'proper' fans were merely insisting that we were delusional females? Same fanboys who now that Solo's rolling out have been like, "Ya'll need to check out his work, its influence is going to be critical." Like thanks, Chad Vader, we've been discussing his role and influence of previous films for 2 Years now while you were trash talking us as being silly fangirls.

And that's a very promising quote from JJ! Like the amount of time, it took before his DVD director's comments came out after the film's release. Everything he said was pretty vindicating. Found the article online and here's two other interesting quotes

"Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi" screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan, 69, who wrote "Solo" with his son Jonathan. His presence on set grew alongside his dissatisfaction with the liberties Messrs. Lord and Miller took with the script, according to people close to the movie.

But as the film moved toward production in January 2017, they clashed with Mr. Kasdan over the script, according to some of the people close to the movie.

Last spring, Mr. Kasdan came to the London set and location shooting in the Canary Islands. At times he told cast and crew members when he disagreed with Messrs. Lord and Miller's choices, people close to the directors said. The filmmakers felt undermined, these people said, but wanted to complete production.

In June, Ms. Kennedy concluded her differences with the directors had grown too vast and fired them. Messrs. Lord and Miller knew Ms. Kennedy was unhappy but were making adjustments and were surprised when they were axed, one of the people close to the production said.

Trevorrow got fired over issues with the script and Lord & Miller also got fired for not going with Kasdan's script, so despite what they say about plotgate, or at least changing things if it works best for the story, nobody is winging it in what gets written for the screen.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Mon 28 May 2018, 8:58 am

Ok so this is interesting. Remember ViewerAnon, that guy on Reddit who set the record straight with all the fake/badly written/confusing leaks coming from the TLJ premiere by doing an AMA on Reddit and answering questions? Here's the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/7j6dhp/i_have_seen_the_last_jedi_and_i_loved_the_last/
Clearly, if you go through his answers you could see that he was correct and he was even given Reddit gold (he also called Rey and Kylo's relationship dynamite, but I digress). He said Ewan McGregor was at the Solo premiere and next day all those Obi-Wan movie rumours started emerging. He works in the industry and attends screenings early/hears reactions from test screenings too. He has a good track record. Anyway, I thought this was interesting:

Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah on Mon 28 May 2018, 9:10 am

@Kylo Rey

Thank you for posting this. What does "Bob Iger went over Kennedy's head" mean? I'm not an native speaker of English Laughing

I really don't know what to think about any of this drama. I can only hope it doesn't impact what we want to see in IX, especially if JJ and KK had problems in the past.
rawpowah
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by YeeRees on Mon 28 May 2018, 9:19 am

@Kylo Rey wrote:Ok so this is interesting. Remember ViewerAnon, that guy on Reddit who set the record straight with all the fake/badly written/confusing leaks coming from the TLJ premiere by doing an AMA on Reddit and answering questions? Here's the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/7j6dhp/i_have_seen_the_last_jedi_and_i_loved_the_last/
Clearly, if you go through his answers you could see that he was correct and he was even given Reddit gold (he also called Rey and Kylo's relationship dynamite, but I digress). He said Ewan McGregor was at the Solo premiere and next day all those Obi-Wan movie rumours started emerging. He works in the industry and attends screenings early/hears reactions from test screenings too. He has a good track record. Anyway, I thought this was interesting:

@Kylo Rey

Interesting.

I’ve recently seen speculation on social media from people with Disney connections saying the reason we are getting so many officially unconfirmed movie leaks, like the Kenobi and Boba Fett one’s, is because there’s an expectation inside the industry that Kathleen Kennedy is going to get replaced soon and the creatives are getting their stuff out there hoping fan support will still get them made. I’m dubious because I don’t think that’s how it all works but there might be something to the rumours of a change at the top of Lucasfilm, especially after the disappointment of Solo. Personally, I would rather keep KK than see the job go to someone like Dave Filoni who is much more of a George Lucas traditionalist.
YeeRees
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Mon 28 May 2018, 10:08 am

@rawpowah wrote:@Kylo Rey

Thank you for posting this. What does "Bob Iger went over Kennedy's head" mean? I'm not an native speaker of English Laughing

I really don't know what to think about any of this drama. I can only hope it doesn't impact what we want to see in IX, especially if JJ and KK had problems in the past.
@rawpowah

It means KK didn't agree with/didn't want JJ to come back so Bob Iger overruled her. Not like they had much choice after Trevorrow was fired anyway. This is interesting because I thought Rian Johnson was being groomed into that new George Lucas position with his own trilogy and all the creative freedom he had. As for what it means for IX, as JJ is the OG Reylo, I don't think it means anything bad for us, tbh. If anything it seems he's been given Carte Blanche to do anything he wants, especially as he's supposedly making $100m off IX so... (look at the tweet I posted in the tweet thread). The impression this gives me is that JJ >>> KK in the pecking order/hierarchy now.

@YeeRees I don't think they'll let Kennedy go after one flop tbh. That would be incredibly knee jerk and reactionary. Especially as she's pulled in nearly $5B from the first three movies. That rumour about all the creatives getting their work out now sounds really far fetched and doesn't make sense. I mean I wouldn't be surprised if there is rumblings of discontent or infighting within LucasFilm (that WSJ article told us as much, she has both detractors and supporters), but letting her go now would be a PR disaster imo and would lead to a lot of outrage, particularly as it would be seen to be be giving in to and validating the #notmyLuke #lastjediawful #BoycottSoylo alt-right MRA crowd.

Last edited by Kylo Rey on Mon 28 May 2018, 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Mon 28 May 2018, 10:24 am

Remember how KK was only supposed to be in charge for 5 years? It's already been longer. Kevin Feige has been in charge of the entire MCU. It can be a good thing to have one person at the helm if they aren't totally incompetent. Otherwise you end up like DC and have a constantly revolving leadership and no clear direction and everything is always shifting. Then again, LF has a story group, so perhaps they have some clout.

That recent WSJ article that said how CT just couldn't make a good script off his pitch also indicated JJ and KK had creative clashes. Which differs from the rumor that KK wanted him back from the beginning while Iger maybe hired CT. This sounds like the opposite actually. Once day we'll know all.... eventually....

I said it before and I'll say it again, JJ gets too much crap for not having a creative vision when he really does.
californiagirl
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah on Mon 28 May 2018, 10:27 am

@Kylo Rey Thank you very much! In my interpretation Rian had so much freedom because he was going in the same general direction as JJ, so he was free to incorporate those key elements in any way he saw fit. I guess we'll have to see how Solo's performance affects Rian's trilogy to get an idea of where he stands.

I can only hope JJ churns out a good movie that's more complex than TFA. More Kylo and less Resistance would be nice, but idk if I'm that lucky (after all, JJ is responsible for deciding not to kill off Poe in TFA, which imo caused most of the issues with TLJ). Reylo and Bendemption (with survival) is what I'm here for, so hopefully JJ delivers the goods in a fantastic way.
rawpowah
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Mon 28 May 2018, 10:43 am

@rawpowah wrote:@Kylo Rey Thank you very much! In my interpretation Rian had so much freedom because he was going in the same general direction as JJ, so he was free to incorporate those key elements in any way he saw fit. I guess we'll have to see how Solo's performance affects Rian's trilogy to get an idea of where he stands.

I can only hope JJ churns out a good movie that's more complex than TFA. More Kylo and less Resistance would be nice, but idk if I'm that lucky (after all, JJ is responsible for deciding not to kill off Poe in TFA, which imo caused most of the issues with TLJ). Reylo and Bendemption (with survival) is what I'm here for, so hopefully JJ delivers the goods in a fantastic way.
@rawpowah

Well if there's one good thing to come out the failing BO for Solo and the generally poor reaction to the non-Reylo/Luke parts of TLJ (as well as the critical acclaim that Reylo got), it could be that they double down on it. I mean from a financial sense, which is what Iger will also be looking at it, it makes sense too. It would be stupid to do otherwise, IMO. Give the audience more of what they want, cut down on what didn't work (which includes the Resistance, facts are facts), and the money will roll in. It's that simple really.

Ever since TLJ released, that's what they've been mostly focusing on too, in promotion/social media and what not. Remember how the home video trailer for TLJ was basically just Reylo and Luke? Barely any of the other stuff factored in. And that's supposed to draw in people who hadn't watched it yet in the cinema at the point too. They know what the main attraction is now. Antis can whine all they want about how controversial it would be, everyone wanted more of that Rey/Kylo team up and Disney is in the business to make money. They won't care. I can only hope they factored that in for IX. They desperately need a hook too when it comes time to market it.
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah on Mon 28 May 2018, 10:59 am

@Kylo Rey I can only hope so. But at the same time they're making a Resistance cartoon, so it's clear they want to drum up interest in that portion of the story regardless of how poorly it was received in the movie, instead of making some Force related story about Ben and Luke (something a lot of people were interested in due to TLJ). And we haven't had any Ben Solo books or comics (just a few appearances of baby Ben in materials about other characters), but there's a lot more about the Resistance characters/Beautiful Friendship Gang (like Poe and his own comic book series, Rose's journal). I just don't understand what LF is thinking. Reylo and Luke were the best received out of TLJ, and they're busy trying to make Poe and Phasma happen.
rawpowah
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Mon 28 May 2018, 11:20 am

@rawpowah wrote:@Kylo Rey I can only hope so. But at the same time they're making a Resistance cartoon, so it's clear they want to drum up interest in that portion of the story regardless of how poorly it was received in the movie, instead of making some Force related story about Ben and Luke (something a lot of people were interested in due to TLJ). And we haven't had any Ben Solo books or comics (just a few appearances of baby Ben in materials about other characters), but there's a lot more about the Resistance characters/Beautiful Friendship Gang (like Poe and his own comic book series, Rose's journal). I just don't understand what LF is thinking. Reylo and Luke were the best received out of TLJ, and they're busy trying to make Poe and Phasma happen.
@rawpowah

the reason why we're getting that "resistance cartoon" is because it is "safe" filler material (not to say it can't be good and interesting, but you know what I mean)
Basically everything about Kylo Ren's present or past is a huge spoiler- they can't and won't bring out anything about him (or Luke in the timeline when he was with Ben) before IX.

All the new canon books released are either in a timeline where Ben is too small to really have anything spoiled or he is out of the picture and the main characters of the story barely mentions him (Bloodline).

LF isn't dump- they know fans would freak out over any new content about Ben's or Luke's adventures- it's a gold mine. But they had to keep that under warps till IX is released. So we're stuck with that rather "uninteresting" stories.
It's frustrating but also makes me confident that Ben indeed will get a redemption arc and maybe we haven't heard all about that night Luke's temple got destroyed.
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Mon 28 May 2018, 11:53 am

The whole "Solo not making wheelbarrows full of money so therefore IX will play it safe and give fans what they want" assertion makes me roll my eyes because if that were the case, the ST would have been 100% the BFG group hug that TFA got marketed as. There'd be no Reylo and gosh, what is the consistent element which people reacted to in TLJ and loved, despite all of the 'true fans' insisting that she *had* to be Luke's daughter and that they just want to hate and kill each other because he's a horrible person who doesn't deserve to have the fantasy self-insert parents so many fans wished they could've had as kids. If they were going to "listen to the fans," there'd still be the EU and none of this #notmystarwarsboycottitall nonsense. It's made decent box office, this time of year and the current movie release market is brutal, and the idea that a movie could make that type of money but supposedly be a failure is coming from a certain point of view.

In regards to a supposed JJ versus KK battle for control, she's made some big mistakes. But given the amount of vitriol she gets where you can't please anybody, be it neck beard fanboys or people critical of who she hires, I tend to roll my eye at any and all comments that she's in jeopardy of losing her job because she didn't do Star Wars right. Also it's some prime bullshit that people make that comments about one of the most successful producers of all time, when oh I don't know, what particular part of who she makes her different than your typical producer? You never hear people talking this much s*** about any other producer, wonder why? JJ has his own empire to run, Bad Robot, so I'd also be skeptical that he wants her job (even if it's fun to imagine how certain LF employees would react to having him as their boss.

What I do think will happen is that if IX goes the way most of us have a pretty strong suspicion it will happen, you will hear moar of these type of arguments about how it's a failure, could've been revolutionary, she failed the audience/opportunity, and even more MRA/neckbeard screaming. I take Solo for what is is, a leftover passion project GL and LK wanted to do that was probably part of the negotiated terms of the Disney purchase and meant to fill in some of the details for the family story they're using the ST to tell/resolve.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum