J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!!

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

Go down

Re: J.J. Abrams To Direct Episode IX - It's official!!!!

Post by YeeRees on Mon 28 May 2018, 12:06 pm

From the recent announcements, we have Resistance set in the period leading up to TFA. We also have the Jon Favreau live-action series which will be in the era 3 years after the end of RoTJ. Maybe Lucasfilm have got lots of potential Ben Solo content up their sleeves but they seem set on repeating the patterns we’ve seen with Rebels, Rogue One, and now, Solo, in that they’re playing in a limited sandbox because they will have to work around existing canon instead of going into unknown eras. I’m assuming post-RoTJ Luke and child Ben stories will be told in some form but much of this depends on how Episode IX goes and what plans they have going forward. If things don’t end as expected for Kylo, the interest in those stories will plummet as they have from some Luke fans who hated TLJ. Solo is also suffering from this, in my opinion, because we know how Han’s story ended and Solo didn’t really add all that much to it. Lucasfilm should really rethink the timing of some of their storytelling releases and the mystery box approach which means a lot of important plot/character points end up in ancillary materials which a large percentage of fans will never read or be aware of. The ST is also suffering from this with the Phasma novel/comic followed by her subsequent death in TLJ without most people knowing/caring about her history. Things that might make Poe a more interesting and well-rounded character are relegated to the comic series. And there is still a lot of uncertainty about Rey, Kylo and Reylo outside of the fandom because people who only watch the films are missing out on all kinds of information and supporting evidence.
YeeRees
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah on Mon 28 May 2018, 2:33 pm

@Night Huntress LF can easily work their way around big spoiler content to give us Ben Solo material. It's not like everything this character has ever done in his life is a spoiler for IX.

@YeeRees wrote:From the recent announcements, we have Resistance set in the period leading up to TFA. We also have the Jon Favreau live-action series which will be in the era 3 years after the end of RoTJ. Maybe Lucasfilm have got lots of potential Ben Solo content up their sleeves but they seem set on repeating the patterns we’ve seen with Rebels, Rogue One, and now, Solo, in that they’re playing in a limited sandbox because they will have to work around existing canon instead of going into unknown eras. I’m assuming post-RoTJ Luke and child Ben stories will be told in some form but much of this depends on how Episode IX goes and what plans they have going forward. If things don’t end as expected for Kylo, the interest in those stories will plummet as they have from some Luke fans who hated TLJ. Solo is also suffering from this, in my opinion, because we know how Han’s story ended and Solo didn’t really add all that much to it. Lucasfilm should really rethink the timing of some of their storytelling releases and the mystery box approach which means a lot of important plot/character points end up in ancillary materials which a large percentage of fans will never read or be aware of. The ST is also suffering from this with the Phasma novel/comic followed by her subsequent death in TLJ without most people knowing/caring about her history. Things that might make Poe a more interesting and well-rounded character are relegated to the comic series. And there is still a lot of uncertainty about Rey, Kylo and Reylo outside of the fandom because people who only watch the films are missing out on all kinds of information and supporting evidence.
@YeeRees

This is exactly what I mean.
rawpowah
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Mon 28 May 2018, 2:45 pm

@rawpowah wrote:@Night Huntress LF can easily work their way around big spoiler content to give us Ben Solo material. It's not like everything this character has ever done in his life is a spoiler for IX.
@rawpowah

Maybe not a spoiler for the plot but they want to keep his character- particularly his motivations a mystery.
What's going on in Ben Solo's head is basically the whole point of the ST.

I know the antis and many fans would disagree and it's just my personal opinion- but the Sequel Trilogy is the story of Ben Solo told mainly from Rey's perspective. I don't say it takes away Rey's agency- she is equally as important...but they don't want to give away anything that could make him more sympathetic.

I understand your frustration I share it...I'm grasping for every little crumble LF is giving us. From the few sentences in books or any extended material. But I kind of get why they keep it.
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Mon 28 May 2018, 3:16 pm

There's the Favreau live action show post-RotJ, the Resistance cartoon, the Poe comics, he had a journal/flight log type thing, Rose and Paige both had journals, they had a pre-TLJ Resistance novel when TLJ came out, and there's also a series of kids Join the Resistance books. Not only Rebels, but Clone Wars before that were in a similar vein. Plus the Phasma novel and comics.

The sheer volume of Resistance material is actually a little comforting because it's ancillary material, it's meant to be bonus, not to tell integral parts of the saga films (ideally, even though it sometimes does). They do this here so they don't have to do it in the movies. As people have said earlier, they can't do much other ST-related content right now because Kylo and Luke and Snoke are still big mysteries, even if the audience doesn't realize it.

Which just makes me even more curious for IX, because that means LF is hiding big things, which could possibly change the way viewers see these characters and the story. I'm interested to see what they have in store for us.
californiagirl
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Thu 14 Jun 2018, 2:57 pm

J.J. is scheduled to appear on the Late Late Show with James Corden on Tuesday June 19th. Fingers crossed that he drops some details about IX.
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 on Thu 14 Jun 2018, 3:39 pm

@Kylo Rey wrote:J.J. is scheduled to appear on the Late Late Show with James Corden on Tuesday June 19th. Fingers crossed that he drops some details about IX.
@Kylo Rey

omg maybe he'll take the opportunity to force JJ make Daisy learn the SW theme on the violin lololll
rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Tue 19 Jun 2018, 11:05 am

J.J. is no longer listed to appear on Corden according to the schedule

Oh well.
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Wed 27 Jun 2018, 5:59 pm

Happy birthday to the OG Reylo, J.J.! Have a great one. And just remember, for the JJ will save us crowd...

Muahahahaha
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Wed 27 Jun 2018, 7:01 pm

@Kylo Rey wrote:Happy birthday to the OG Reylo, J.J.! Have a great one. And just remember, for the JJ will save us crowd...

Muahahahaha
@Kylo Rey

I am fully prepared for the inevitable onslaught of "Rian Johnson derailed the ST so JJ was forced to do a story he didn't want to do" accusations.

Happy b-day, JJ! He's 52 and does not at look it at all. Very Happy
californiagirl
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Thu 28 Jun 2018, 1:34 am

Also just going to leave this here because awww....

californiagirl
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Fri 27 Jul 2018, 10:06 am

From an EW interview a few days ago. It's mostly about the new Stephen King show on Hulu that just came out JJ worked on, but this was at the very end.
http://ew.com/tv/2018/07/24/jj-abrams-stephen-king-castle-rock/

You haven’t directed a TV episode since the pilot of Undercovers in 2010. Obviously at the moment you don’t have the time, but have you thought about coming back to the TV space as a director?
Very much so. There’s a series we’re doing for HBO called Demimonde that I’m incredibly excited about and was planning on directing, and then [Star Wars] Episode IX happened, so I’m not going to be doing that pilot. It was something I was dying to do, so I’ll produce it and work with whoever the director ends up being. I would love to do television. I miss it.

Since you mentioned it, where are you with Episode IX? How does it feel to wrap up a story after being the go-to guy for starting them?
When the time is right, I cannot wait to talk to you about Episode IX. [Laughs] At the moment, I can say that it’s an incredibly exciting prospect, and it’ll be fun to talk about.

Of course he can't say much right now, there haven't even been formal, official announcements about filming or casting. But every quote I've seen from JJ has him almost chomping at the bit to talk about IX.

JJ's HBO show, a kind of sci-fi drama no one knows anything about, got announced earlier this year, along with the fact he was writing the pilot. He's been in 100% producer mode since TFA, and hasn't written or directed anything since. I get the sense this was supposed to be his big comeback. It says something that he was totally on board to do this pilot himself, and many people forget that before all his blockbusters, he was, and still kind of is, the TV guy, but the draw to IX was stronger.
californiagirl
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum