Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 6 Empty Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by Kessel on Tue 19 Sep 2017, 8:04 pm

@SanghaRen wrote:Seems like we'll get to know more about Crait in forthcoming comics. Of course released after TLJ Smile

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 6 Img_1310

Funny the authors are both named Ben and the article mentions the Bens which got me all "What? Where is Ben? Why plural form?" *facepalm* There are indeed real people named Ben. Can you spell obsession?

http://www.starwars.com/news/luke-and-leia-star-in-star-wars-the-last-jedi-storms-of-crait-1
@SanghaRen

Are the comics about Crait going to take place before or after ROTJ? If it's after ROTJ, I wonder if Ben will be featured as he was born less than a year later.
Kessel
Kessel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 6:59 am

For anyone under the impression that all the new stuff (since 2012) is fully coordinated and canon, it turns out it ain't necessarily so. There have been a number of running Twitter threads about it in the last few days. Someone is documenting all the inconsistencies in the new canon https://twitter.com/boxerlessbossk/status/905184523280896000

Pablo has responded to a few points but has basically admitted it's not sustainable to keep everything canon.
https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/910392248587534336

The From A Certain Point of View book that's out soon is a mishmash of canon and not, for example. No wonder Pablo has been so dismissive of the sanctity of canon of late! Rolling Eyes It doesn't personally bother me all that much because most long running franchises run into similar issues, but it does mean that scouring every book etc for clues is pretty pointless as it might or, most likely, won't be important in the end.

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 7:24 am

@Kessel wrote:
@SanghaRen wrote:Seems like we'll get to know more about Crait in forthcoming comics. Of course released after TLJ Smile

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 6 Img_1310

Funny the authors are both named Ben and the article mentions the Bens which got me all "What? Where is Ben? Why plural form?" *facepalm* There are indeed real people named Ben. Can you spell obsession?

http://www.starwars.com/news/luke-and-leia-star-in-star-wars-the-last-jedi-storms-of-crait-1
@SanghaRen

Are the comics about Crait going to take place before or after ROTJ? If it's after ROTJ, I wonder if Ben will be featured as he was born less than a year later.
@Kessel

I think the Crait episode would be between ANH and ESB going by the release date and present timeline of the SW comics....also Luke's hand seems to be still intact at this time....so definitely pre-ESB.

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackcanary on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 7:31 am

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:For anyone under the impression that all the new stuff (since 2012) is fully coordinated and canon, it turns out it ain't necessarily so. There have been a number of running Twitter threads about it in the last few days. Someone is documenting all the inconsistencies in the new canon https://twitter.com/boxerlessbossk/status/905184523280896000

Pablo has responded to a few points but has basically admitted it's not sustainable to keep everything canon.

The From A Certain Point of View book that's out soon is a mishmash of canon and not, for example. No wonder Pablo has been so dismissive of the sanctity of canon of late! Rolling Eyes It doesn't personally bother me all that much because most long running franchises run into similar issues, but it does mean that scouring every book etc for clues is pretty pointless as it might or, most likely, won't be important in the end.
@Mrs Ben Solo

Oddly, I was having this very same discussion with somebody yesterday! I can see how it would be too difficult to keep everything completely cohesive at a time when the extended canon is reaching unwieldy levels.

Case in point: people have been using the mention of somebody graduating from the Lothal imperial academy at a time during the OT in 'Lost Stars' as proof that the planet must survive (or at least, still be habitable) after the events of Star Wars Rebels.

Now, whilst I can fully accept that as current canon, I fully believe that if Dave Filoni wanted to destroy Lothal as part of the final season, he'd have free rein to do so, and the previously established canon would be no barrier to his plans, and thus would be overwritten. TV trumps the novels IMO, and might explain why they're introducing things like the certain points of view and legends of Luke Skywalker books - exploring the myth allows for a GFFA storytelling tradition and enriches the culture, but doesn't require strict adherence to existing properties.
Blackcanary
Blackcanary
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 7:39 am

@Blackcanary wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:For anyone under the impression that all the new stuff (since 2012) is fully coordinated and canon, it turns out it ain't necessarily so. There have been a number of running Twitter threads about it in the last few days. Someone is documenting all the inconsistencies in the new canon https://twitter.com/boxerlessbossk/status/905184523280896000

@Mrs Ben Solo

Oddly, I was having this very same discussion with somebody yesterday! I can see how it would be too difficult to keep everything completely cohesive at a time when the extended canon is reaching unwieldy levels.

Case in point: people have been using the mention of somebody graduating from the Lothal imperial academy at a time during the OT in 'Lost Stars' as proof that the planet must survive (or at least, still be habitable) after the events of Star Wars Rebels.

Now, whilst I can fully accept that as current canon, I fully believe that if Dave Filoni wanted to destroy Lothal as part of the final season, he'd have free rein to do so, and the previously established canon would be no barrier to his plans, and thus would be overwritten. TV trumps the novels IMO, and might explain why they're introducing things like the certain points of view and legends of Luke Skywalker books - exploring the myth allows for a GFFA storytelling tradition and enriches the culture, but doesn't require strict adherence to existing properties.
@Blackcanary

I think they might twist the stories around to make them fit canon....for example, in the Lothal case, they could maybe make Lothal a repeat of Wobani where an agricultural planet gets turned into an imperial prison surrounded by uninhabitable area....similarly, Lothal might become a wasteland save having an imperial academy on it.

But I do agree...its very difficult to keep all of canon consistent especially as the lore grows.

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 8:32 am

@panki wrote:
@Blackcanary wrote:

@Mrs Ben Solo

@Blackcanary

I think they might twist the stories around to make them fit canon....for example, in the Lothal case, they could maybe make Lothal a repeat of Wobani where an agricultural planet gets turned into an imperial prison surrounded by uninhabitable area....similarly, Lothal might become a wasteland save having an imperial academy on it.

But I do agree...its very difficult to keep all of canon consistent especially as the lore grows.
@panki

Wasn't that ultimately the issue with the EU too?  The EU had, what, nearly 30 years to grow to the point where it was no longer containable and just chalk full of inconsistencies?  The new canon is now two years old, and still in its infancy.  It might seem easy now, but I can see that keeping it manageable will be no easy feat as it continues to grow and things are added.

On a side note, I'm reading Leia, Princess of Alderaan, and I had no idea Wobani and Lothal appeared in previous canon since I don't watch Rebels, but that makes sense.  It's pretty cool to me, even if it's something as simple as that.  I do like the fact that it's a big galaxy out there, and while the consistency might not be perfect, they do an excellent job of painting an overall picture.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 8:51 am

@IoJovi wrote:
@panki wrote:
@Blackcanary wrote:

@Mrs Ben Solo

@Blackcanary

@panki

Wasn't that ultimately the issue with the EU too?  The EU had, what, nearly 30 years to grow to the point where it was no longer containable and just chalk full of inconsistencies?  The new canon is now two years old, and still in its infancy.  It might seem easy now, but I can see that keeping it manageable will be no easy feat as it continues to grow and things are added.

On a side note, I'm reading Leia, Princess of Alderaan, and I had no idea Wobani and Lothal appeared in previous canon since I don't watch Rebels, but that makes sense.  It's pretty cool to me, even if it's something as simple as that.  I do like the fact that it's a big galaxy out there, and while the consistency might not be perfect, they do an excellent job of painting an overall picture.
@IoJovi

I agree. It's always fun when you see something seemingly minor from one piece of canon come up in another. :-) It's like Harry Potter, which was very tight because it had one author.

I have always thought that there was a hierarchy in the content in that some products seem more "canony" than others. Some of the picture heavy books seem to skirt the line between canon and marketing ... and as we know some LF marketing get can into that "certain point of view" territory. OTOH, I think products like the original novels are highly controlled and vetted and as such can be considered pretty reliable.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 9:14 am

@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@panki wrote:
@Blackcanary wrote:

@Mrs Ben Solo

@Blackcanary

@panki

@IoJovi

I agree. It's always fun when you see something seemingly minor from one piece of canon come up in another. :-) It's like Harry Potter, which was very tight because it had one author.

I have always thought that there was a hierarchy in the content in that some products seem more "canony" than others. Some of the picture heavy books seem to skirt the line between canon and marketing ... and as we know some LF marketing get can into that "certain point of view" territory. OTOH, I think products like the original novels are highly controlled and vetted and as such can be considered pretty reliable.
@SoloSideCousin

As far as explaining away inconsistencies, someone had tweeted Pablo awhile back that these stories take place long ago in a galaxy, far, far away.  Because of this, differing accounts of the same story and what happened are likely to change, depending on who's telling it.  I think that's a great way to look at it.  Laughing
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 9:19 am

@SoloSideCousin Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be the case as I've seen a number of inconsistencies pointed out from the recent novels and other supposedly canon sources. One recent inconsistency occurred between the Phasma novel and information put out by the Official Star Wars Twitter account. There is also the matter of Leia being depicted as part of the Resistance before the age of 16, which was established in Leia Princess of Alderaan. Claudia Gray even mentions Leia wanting to be in the Resistance at the age of 15 in Bloodline. I believe a comic panel showed Leia and Jyn Erso as young girls at a Resistance meeting but I don't know how they explain that away. I do know Claudia Gray has been at pains to point out that she isn't a Lucasfilm insider and doesn't know what's coming up in future stories. At a recent author's panel, she and other writers of current canon novels said that working with Lucasfilm is very much on a need to know basis. This raises questions about how important they are to the ST etc. It seems to be hit and miss as in LPOA is counted to an extent, but it's doubtful how far something like the Aftermath series is informing movie canon when Pablo Hidalgo has pooh-poohed certain aspects of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 10:04 am

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:@SoloSideCousin Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be the case as I've seen a number of inconsistencies pointed out from the recent novels and other supposedly canon sources. One recent inconsistency occurred between the Phasma novel and information put out by the Official Star Wars Twitter account. There is also the matter of Leia being depicted as part of the Resistance before the age of 16, which was established in Leia Princess of Alderaan. Claudia Gray even mentions Leia wanting to be in the Resistance at the age of 15 in Bloodline. I believe a comic panel showed Leia and Jyn Erso as young girls at a Resistance meeting but I don't know how they explain that away. I do know Claudia Gray has been at pains to point out that she isn't a Lucasfilm insider and doesn't know what's coming up in future stories. At a recent author's panel, she and other writers of current canon novels said that working with Lucasfilm is very much on a need to know basis. This raises questions about how important they are to the ST etc. It seems to be hit and miss as in LPOA is counted to an extent, but it's doubtful how far something like the Aftermath series is informing movie canon when Pablo Hidalgo has pooh-poohed certain aspects of it.
@Mrs Ben Solo

I actually don't find those kind of inconsistencies worrisome because that kind of stuff is meaningless in the larger scheme of things. Leia and Jyn both had affiliations with the Resistance, that's the main thing.

On the Lost Stars thing, that was an early book, and no way, no how was LF going to let a minor detail in that book cut off writing options for them in Rogue One. I imagine that there will be a fair amount of inconsistencies in those early books because so little of the canon had been developed at the time. As more movies come out, the level of consistency will improve because they will have more irrevocable (movie) canon to limit what can be done.

On the Phasma situation about loyalty, IMO the Twitter account has a definite role in setting up audience expectations and marketing. Also, having read the Phasma book, there is no hint that she is actually currently disloyal to the FO in any way, as she and Hux are apparently as thick as thieves. She has a history of disloyalty and a character believes that she will be disloyal at some point ... but there is no sign that she actually is disloyal yet, so the Twitter statement is correct right now.

On the author's panels, I was with @Iojovi at Dragoncon, and it is hard to overestimate how controlled those writers are. Delilah Dawson gave LF 10 possible storylines for Phasma and they completely eliminated like 7 of them right away, and said parts of the other 3 might work. All of the author's emphasized how they were constantly submitting revised drafts and LF would return the drafts cutting out all kinds of things without explanation why. It sounds like all the authors had to submit several revised versions before LF would be satisfied. So the Storygroup has to have a fairly detailed outline.

What does LPOA stand for?

As for Aftermath, I am sure there will be inconsistencies, but on one of the big things this board has been concerned by, namely, the dark side influence on a young Ben Solo, rhat has a lot of credibility IMO because evidence of it has appeared in multiple sources of content: two Aftermath books, the novelization, and most importantly, out of JJ's mouth in the documentary, along with a strong hint of it in the movie itself. That repetition of the point makes it more likely IMO, especially when it concerns such a major character. OTOH, I think that there will most likely be some variation on things like Norra's crew and the Acolytes of the Beyond and the last year of the Galsctic War as time goes on as they add in more detail, and that will be okay.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 10:08 am

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:@SoloSideCousin Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be the case as I've seen a number of inconsistencies pointed out from the recent novels and other supposedly canon sources. One recent inconsistency occurred between the Phasma novel and information put out by the Official Star Wars Twitter account. There is also the matter of Leia being depicted as part of the Resistance before the age of 16, which was established in Leia Princess of Alderaan. Claudia Gray even mentions Leia wanting to be in the Resistance at the age of 15 in Bloodline. I believe a comic panel showed Leia and Jyn Erso as young girls at a Resistance meeting but I don't know how they explain that away. I do know Claudia Gray has been at pains to point out that she isn't a Lucasfilm insider and doesn't know what's coming up in future stories. At a recent author's panel, she and other writers of current canon novels said that working with Lucasfilm is very much on a need to know basis. This raises questions about how important they are to the ST etc. It seems to be hit and miss as in LPOA is counted to an extent, but it's doubtful how far something like the Aftermath series is informing movie canon when Pablo Hidalgo has pooh-poohed certain aspects of it.
@Mrs Ben Solo

There is even an inconsistency with Asajj Ventress and lightsaber lore....in Dark Disciple, she talks about buying her yellow lightsaber off the black market but in a later Clone Wars reference book, she is supposed to have built the lightsaber from scratch and the crystal turned yellow.

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 10:13 am

@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@Mrs Ben Solo

I actually don't find those kind of inconsistencies worrisome because that kind of stuff is meaningless in the larger scheme of things. Leia and Jyn both had affiliations with the Resistance, that's the main thing.

On the Lost Stars thing, that was an early book, and no way, no how was LF going to let a minor detail in that book cut off writing options for them in Rogue One. I imagine that there will be a fair amount of inconsistencies in those early books because so little of the canon had been developed at the time. As more movies come out, the level of consistency will improve because they will have more irrevocable (movie) canon to limit what can be done.

On the Phasma situation about loyalty, IMO the Twitter account has a definite role in setting up audience expectations and marketing. Also, having read the Phasma book, there is no hint that she is actually currently  disloyal to the FO in any way, as she and Hux are apparently as thick as thieves. She has a history of disloyalty and a character believes that she will be disloyal at some point ... but there is no sign that she actually is disloyal yet, so the Twitter statement is correct right now.

On the author's panels, I was with @Iojovi at Dragoncon, and it is hard to overestimate how controlled those writers are. Delilah Dawson gave LF 10 possible storylines for Phasma and they completely eliminated like 7 of them right away, and said parts of the other 3 might work. All of the author's emphasized how they were constantly submitting revised drafts and LF would return the drafts cutting out all kinds of things without explanation why. It sounds like all the authors had to submit several revised versions before LF would be satisfied. So the Storygroup has to have a fairly detailed outline.

As for Aftermath, I am sure there will be inconsistencies, but on one of the big things this board has been concerned by, namely, the dark side influence on a young Ben Solo, rhat has a lot of credibility IMO because evidence of it has appeared in multiple sources of content: two Aftermath books, the novelization, and most importantly, out of JJ's mouth in the documentary, along with a strong hint of it in the movie itself. That repetition of the point makes it more likely IMO, especially when it concerns such a major character. OTOH, I think that there will most likely be some variation on things like Norra's crew and the Acolytes of the Beyond and the last year of the Galsctic War as time goes on as they add in more detail, and that will be okay.
@SoloSideCousin

Exactly, Exactly!!!  Laughing

To date, absolutely nothing has contradicted Ben Solo being preyed upon from a young age - heck that's one of the most consistent things in the new canon.  After attending the authors panels, the one thing that rang home was what a tight hold LF has on these stories.  

EK Johnson, the author of the Ahsoka novel, said she wanted to have a rebel fleet out of some random planet I hadn't heard of.  She was told no, there's a Star Destroyer in that exact location.  She said, are you sure?  This is a very obscure planet most people haven't heard of.  Their response?  NO THERE IS A STAR DESTROYER THERE.  Laughing  So yeah.  PlotGate my a**.  Nobody is making up stuff as they go along.

Sure, like I said before, as the new canon continues to grow, just like the EU, those inconsistencies and plot holes are going to be more difficult to contain.  The fact is though, they're are doing the absolute best they can, even going further than I would have expected them to.  That's all we can ask for, really.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 10:54 am

@IoJovi wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@Mrs Ben Solo

On the Phasma situation about loyalty, IMO the Twitter account has a definite role in setting up audience expectations and marketing. Also, having read the Phasma book, there is no hint that she is actually currently  disloyal to the FO in any way, as she and Hux are apparently as thick as thieves. She has a history of disloyalty and a character believes that she will be disloyal at some point ... but there is no sign that she actually is disloyal yet, so the Twitter statement is correct right now.

@SoloSideCousin

To date, absolutely nothing has contradicted Ben Solo being preyed upon from a young age - heck that's one of the most consistent things in the new canon.  After attending the authors panels, the one thing that rang home was what a tight hold LF has on these stories.  

EK Johnson, the author of the Ahsoka novel, said she wanted to have a rebel fleet out of some random planet I hadn't heard of.  She was told no, there's a Star Destroyer in that exact location.  She said, are you sure?  This is a very obscure planet most people haven't heard of.  Their response?  NO THERE IS A STAR DESTROYER THERE.  Laughing  So yeah.  PlotGate my a**.  Nobody is making up stuff as they go along.

Sure, like I said before, as the new canon continues to grow, just like the EU, those inconsistencies and plot holes are going to be more difficult to contain.  The fact is though, they're are doing the absolute best they can, even going further than I would have expected them to.  That's all we can ask for, really.
@IoJovi

Yeah, I'm not worried about it. I'm only an occasional consumer of the ancillary materials and don't intend to read every book or comic. I like the Claudia Gray ones (LPOA = Leia Princess of Alderaan) but I only got part way through the Aftermath series.

I have watched The Clone Wars and some of Rebels and I like them well enough but I don't follow them with the same enthusiasm as the movies. When it comes to the ST, those stories and the OT and PT will personally always take precedence for me. I'm not worried about whatever Rian Johnson came up with for Kylo/Ben and his back story because he's shown that he cares about the character and has a deep understanding of him.

I've personally come to care less and less about canon. I had an epiphany recently after getting mad about something in Doctor Who canon, I realised it doesn't really matter because I wouldn't have known about the thing that made me mad if I hadn't seen it in a book, I usually stick with the TV stuff and keep out of the rest. It's like the arguments that have gone on in the Game of Thrones/ASOIAF fandom about which version of events is actually canon i.e the books or the TV show. For me George R.R. Martin summed it up the best...

How many children did Scarlett O'Hara have? Three, in the novel. One, in the movie. None, in real life: she was a fictional character, she never existed. The show is the show, the books are the books; two different tellings of the same story.

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 11:18 am

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@Mrs Ben Solo

@SoloSideCousin

@IoJovi

Yeah, I'm not worried about it. I'm only an occasional consumer of the ancillary materials and don't intend to read every book or comic. I like the Claudia Gray ones (LPOA = Leia Princess of Alderaan) but I only got part way through the Aftermath series.

I have watched The Clone Wars and some of Rebels and I like them well enough but I don't follow them with the same enthusiasm as the movies. When it comes to the ST, those stories and the OT and PT will personally always take precedence for me. I'm not worried about whatever Rian Johnson came up with for Kylo/Ben and his back story because he's shown that he cares about the character and has a deep understanding of him.

I've personally come to care less and less about canon. I had an epiphany recently after getting mad about something in Doctor Who canon, I realised it doesn't really matter because I wouldn't have known about the thing that made me mad if I hadn't seen it in a book, I usually stick with the TV stuff and keep out of the rest. It's like the arguments that have gone on in the Game of Thrones/ASOIAF fandom about which version of events is actually canon i.e the books or the TV show. For me George R.R. Martin summed it up the best...

How many children did Scarlett O'Hara have? Three, in the novel. One, in the movie. None, in real life: she was a fictional character, she never existed. The show is the show, the books are the books; two different tellings of the same story.
@Mrs Ben Solo

I think the reason why some people get so hung up on "What is canon" is there's no inconsistancy and you can judge the story by cold hard facts.  It simplifies things.  Also, as a result by putting this type of label on it, things feel more "real", as if these things actually happened.  It might not be the right approach to story telling but I get the feeling that is part of the thought process.  I think Pablo even said the word "canon" only comes into play when it affects future story arcs - that's literally all it is.  

I know it was a meant partially as a joke, but I really did like the tweeter who said these stories sometimes show inconsistency because they come from long ago, in a galaxy far far away.  Things are bound to get lost in translation.  I think that's a great way to look at it.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 1:58 pm

I can't speak as to the authenticity of this source but it's an interesting read https://twitter.com/geekfurious/status/910567645753348096

Back to top Go down

Post by adamdrivershair on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 2:23 pm

Huh. Them describing themselves as a "deep undercover Lucasfilm employee" makes me skeptical (you're not a spy, come on), but the rest leads me to think this is real.

Now I'm just trying to figure out what that starred word is at the end...
adamdrivershair
adamdrivershair
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 2:38 pm

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:I can't speak as to the authenticity of this source but it's an interesting read https://twitter.com/geekfurious/status/910567645753348096
@Mrs Ben Solo

Legit or not, the plot around LF definitely thickens one way or another.
Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 2:53 pm

I feel it has been intentionally planted by LF to reassure fans that things are under control and there is a method to the madness.

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 3:11 pm

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:I can't speak as to the authenticity of this source but it's an interesting read https://twitter.com/geekfurious/status/910567645753348096
@Mrs Ben Solo

This all seems like really common sense stuff I really want to be true.  Let's hope it is...  Very Happy
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 4:05 pm

@panki wrote:I feel it has been intentionally planted by LF to reassure fans that things are under control and there is a method to the madness.
@panki

Yeah, it, um, sounds like it was written by a member of the LF storygroup.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by nemapasara on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 4:14 pm

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@panki wrote:I feel it has been intentionally planted by LF to reassure fans that things are under control and there is a method to the madness.
@panki

Yeah, it, um, sounds like it was written by a member of the LF storygroup.
@ISeeAnIsland

While I was reading it, I was legit thinking "did Pablo write this?" Laughing
nemapasara
nemapasara
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 4:42 pm

Just out of curiosity, to whom is this addressed? Hardcore fans? Other people in the industry? And what is this statement in response to? The gossip around Lord and Miller/Trevorrow's firings? Rian Johnson (who clearly knows a thing or two about being diplomatic) discussing the lack of corporate oversight in his creative process? Statements by authors of the tie-in novels? Fanboy misogynists who're more likely to use any potential stumbles to bash on KK because of her gender? Because like @iojovi said, it definitely reads like common sense statements. But otherwise, why the need for a ridiculously wealthy company with 40 years' worth of industry connections to drop an anonymous manifesto on an obscure blog? And there are back channels, going back to the Golden Age, for how this type of information would get dropped. Usually, publicists are involved (those "Celebrities! They're just like us!" candid shots are always staged). Typically any items like these end up in the Blind Items and now that Gawker is defunct, these type of items usually end up on sites like Page Six of the NY Post or Crazy Days and Nights (which sadly ID'd CF's relapse several months before her death). So while I'd agree that the words certainly ring true if you're a devoted enough fan to follow the internal operations of the company under Kennedy's leadership, count me as skeptical as it coming from somebody within the company. This is the nerd equivalent to when gossip fans were driving themselves crazy trying to figure out the identity of the Butterscotch Stallion, especially if they could prove it was Owen Wilson and that he was behind an "insider" blog about the industry. See also a commenter on Gakwer before it went belly up about the treatment of child actors which readers were trying to prove was Elijah Woods. At least in this situation and given a certain book published here in the US in the past week, you can count me as glad that it's a statement saying don't f**k with a woman who worked her way into a position of leadership/respect in a competitive and misogynistic industry.

Last edited by snufkin on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 5:06 pm

I have no proof of its authenticity @snufkin one strike against it being genuine for me is that the person is doing what they're upset about other people doing i.e dropping this anonymously instead of publishing and standing by it under their own name. These frustrations do patently exist among some members of the Story Group and, most likely, other Lucasfilm employees too. Much has been speculated on and names have been dragged through the mud, maybe unfairly. Given how fiercely Disney and Lucasfilm protect these things, I doubt we will ever get an official version of events. Pablo has been pretty upfront about some of these things in the past but there's been a notable shift in his tone in recent months. He does appear to be back in the business of answering Star Wars related questions again after he briefly swore off them in favour of his bots. Maybe he got a memo, we'll never know. I would expect him to vent under his own name, though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rimfaxe96 on Wed 20 Sep 2017, 5:24 pm

Personally I don't consider these to be any sort of news. Mark Hamill and Daisy Ridley were concerned about their characters and Rian Johnson told them to back off (probably not that rude lol, but the actors are supposed to play their characters and that's it). And no one will breathe down any regisseurs or directors neck and call them every single hour for updates; the only thing that would accomplish in a creative sort of work like TV & film would be a director's equivalent to the infamous 'writer's block', at best. At worst the director would try to please everyone and end up with a rushed weird mashup of a movie. Things just wouldn't get done without 1 person taking the lead, and that person's ideas for the movie just need to align with the producer's and storywriter's to some extent.

And, sadly, this won't stop the haters hating on Kennedy or any of the others.
Rimfaxe96
Rimfaxe96
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum