Theatrical poster discussion - The Last Jedi

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Re: Theatrical poster discussion - The Last Jedi

Post by DarthRen on Wed 11 Oct 2017, 1:32 am

@ReyofLightSide wrote:
@DarthRen wrote:This is either overthinking or absolutely genius observation. Hard to tell, when Lucas Films likes to remind us of themes, this is after all Anakin's/Darth Vader's legacy.

EDIT: IMAX poster for Star Wars The Last Jedi. Similar to The Force Awakens.

@DarthRen

Oh Lord, people will be using this as a Rey is a Skywalker sign.
@ReyofLightSide

Not something they haven't done before. It's pretty clear Rey is not Luke's daughter and nor she needs to be, hence Maz's speech to her. Her family is never coming back. Her belonging is ahead of her, not in the past. Kylo's speech about killing the past makes all the more sense.

If Rey's parents are Dark Side sympathizers or users. Kylo came from Light to Dark, Rey from Dark to Light.

Last edited by DarthRen on Mon 16 Oct 2017, 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Thu 12 Oct 2017, 2:17 pm

Someone in a FB group that I belong to posted this.

"What if Pixar made The Last Jedi?"

Last edited by ISeeAnIsland on Thu 12 Oct 2017, 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen on Thu 12 Oct 2017, 2:20 pm

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:Someone in a FB group that I belong to posted this.

@ISeeAnIsland

Luke and Finn. Oh my word. Very Happy
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Thu 12 Oct 2017, 2:37 pm

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:Someone in a FB group that I belong to posted this.

@ISeeAnIsland

This is awesome!  I absolutely adore Kylo's 'deer in the headlights' look he's got...
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Thu 12 Oct 2017, 3:05 pm

Thank you @ISeeAnIsland

It's great.

Kylo's cute even as a Pixar character!
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen on Fri 13 Oct 2017, 5:41 am

Another one. Laughing

DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase on Fri 13 Oct 2017, 9:23 am

One of our local cinemas. I wonder, why don’t they show the whole poster? scratch tongue
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by DarthRen on Fri 13 Oct 2017, 10:10 am

@EchoBase wrote:

One of our local cinemas. I wonder, why don’t they show the whole poster? scratch tongue
@EchoBase

Interesting to say the least.
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Fri 13 Oct 2017, 12:06 pm

@EchoBase wrote:

@EchoBase

sie konzentrieren sich halt aufs wesentliche (they focus on the basics) Lolilol
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Sun 15 Oct 2017, 5:21 pm

Was that one posted? Darth Vader upright and Jar Jar Binks upside down. Ouch.

SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire on Sun 15 Oct 2017, 5:40 pm

@SanghaRen wrote:Was that one posted? Darth Vader upright and Jar Jar Binks upside down. Ouch.

@SanghaRen

NOOOOO I can't unsee it! My eyes! My eyes!
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen on Sun 15 Oct 2017, 6:02 pm

@SanghaRen wrote:Was that one posted? Darth Vader upright and Jar Jar Binks upside down. Ouch.

@SanghaRen

Meesa not happy to see this picsa.
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by nemapasara on Sun 15 Oct 2017, 6:15 pm

When I really looked at the poster, it made me think of:

nemapasara
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel on Sun 15 Oct 2017, 6:58 pm

@SanghaRen

Well, George Lucas did say Jar Jar is the key to "all this."

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide on Sun 15 Oct 2017, 8:29 pm

Are there any hidden symbols in the poster like the way the Resistance symbol was in Kylo's cowl in the TFA poster?
ReyofLightSide
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 15 Oct 2017, 8:58 pm

@nemapasara wrote:When I really looked at the poster, it made me think of:

@nemapasara

Hahaha! I love this so much! Love

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Mon 16 Oct 2017, 6:28 am

OMG, not an IT poster. That creeps me out. I can’t even watch the TV spot of the movie. I turn my head so I don’t see it and if I catch a glimpse of it, I go look for my cat because cats are detectors of supernatural things. That’s what I tell myself to reassure myself Smile At the same time, my cat would probably go like “That’s a funny looking person reaching for my owner. Oh, well, as long as it feeds me.”

@ReyofLightSide

Good question. I am bad at finding hidden symbols and I usually do not pay much attention to posters, tbh.

What can I see... I see a heart in Kylo’s cowl or a 3-finger paw print depending on the angle I look at from. The X-wings form a 8 pointed half star, which I have no idea if it means something (?) Triangles and 3’s are very present. There is a force trio and a Resistance trio with some support. They kind of form triangles that are encompassed in an upside down triangle. The X-wings and the AT-AT’s at the horizon also form a triangle. And there are 9 of them, a multiple of 3. Luke’s hood has a triangular shape. Yeah, I have no idea where I am going with this. I am bad at this.

The poster just looks apocalyptic to me. Leia is beautiful in the center. And I find it interesting that they left a gash on Rey’s upper arm. A sign that no one will get spared? It’s also interesting how tightly packed all the characters are in the center. To me it’s screaming that they will all be caught up at one point in the same epic battle.

Might be that some of it was already addressed in previous posts. I admit I did not read through the pages.
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen on Mon 16 Oct 2017, 6:35 am

I find it interesting that Kylo's shuttle is right on Leia's heart on the poster, his shuttle will be at the battle going against his mother. Conflict of their hearts.
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 16 Oct 2017, 2:23 pm

@SanghaRen wrote:OMG, not an IT poster. That creeps me out.
@SanghaRen

Look at who plays Pennywise though. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight13 on Mon 16 Oct 2017, 7:25 pm

What if Snoke's original plan was to possess Kylo's body and take his appearance as @reylo1992 suggested but, because of unexpected obstacles (Rey getting in the way?), he has to change his plans and he possesses Luke's body instead?. That would explain Snoke's absence in the poster and Luke's creepy looks.
Moonlight13

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 on Mon 16 Oct 2017, 9:06 pm

@Moonlight13 wrote:What if Snoke's original plan was to possess Kylo's body and take his appearance as @reylo1992 suggested but, because of unexpected obstacles (Rey getting in the way?), he has to change his plans and he possesses Luke's body instead?. That would explain Snoke's absence in the poster and Luke's creepy looks.
@Moonlight13

You make an excellent point. Snoke choosing Luke over Kylo could give a strong Hamlet vibe.

That's an interesting idea. If there is something that I really can't figure out is indeed how Luke fit in that puzzle. How to characterize him among the heroine, the antagonist and the villain? Why is he represented as the focal point of the both sides although Kylo is considered by Snoke this way initially? And why is his relationship with Rey that important in TLJ?

Now, I also see some limits about this theory. The problem is that Luke would kinda steal the limelight to the young generation by becoming the main antagonist. Thus, that would move the central relationship from Kylo/Rey to Luke/Rey. So I ask myself what it would bring as key emotional stake for the dynamic between hero/antagonist. In the OT, the revelation of the Father/Son bond between Vader and Luke created deep emotional stakes, expectations and tensions between them in ROTJ and their dynamic was the beating heart of the OT. However, I ask myself which emotional stake would Luke's fall bring to his arc with Rey.

Sure it would be kinda shocking for the GA because Luke is a myth. But TBH I don't think that I would identify with Luke's fate as much as a character from the young generation. Of course it would represent a drama to have Luke prisoner of Snoke but...
1) We've already "lost" a father figure with Han in TFA
2) It represents a drama for Leia since Luke is his twin but I don't think it would be the most traumatic loss she could ever experience
3) I don't think that it would represent a big loss for Rey given the way their relationship goes and at least not the biggest loss she could experience since he ain't the belonging she seeks
4) I don't think either that Kylo would be as deeply shaken by the loss of his uncle, or at least I gueess he would be much more by the loss of Rey or his mother
5) He has no bond with Finn, Poe, etc... whatsoever
6) Beyond all of this, would Luke's fall represent such a big shock for the GA even for those who idolize him?

I only speak for myself so I don't know for you guys but I don't think that Luke's going down would shaken me as much as Kylo or Rey going down. What had shaken me in Anakin's fall is that Anakin was a young man who could have built a bright future with a loving family and everything just vanished with his fall to the DS. Han's death was shocking but Han was already a old man who had lived his life and got the opportunity to build  something. What I mean is that Luke is a old man:  a lot is already behind him; he obviously had no wife; he obviously had no children. I don't say that his fall would be meaningless: it would surely be dramatic for the galaxy but I can't figure out there which big emotional stake it would involved in term of family dynamics. And if so: who is supposed to play the key role Question  
1) Logically, Leia should be the key character since she is his twin so this would focus the story on the Brother/Sister dynamic. But Leia ain't a centerpiece character any more at least not the way she was in the OT.
2) Then, there is his relationship with Ben. So the story would focus on the Uncle/Nephew dynamic. But I doubt that the Uncle/nephew relationship even if there is obviously a strong Hamlet vibe in the ST. It would undermines Rey's importance in that story although she is the heroine
3) Then, what about the Luke/Rey dynamic? The trailer made it pretty clear that he is neither her belonging behind her (parent) nor her belonging ahead (lover). If she ain't supposed to be his daughter or his lover, there is no emotional stake behind their dynamic. And if Luke is involved in the death or her parents or her abandonment on Jakku, I doubt that Rey would be so willing to forgive him.  
4) As for Snoke himself: it seems that he is interested in "rawpowah"and I guess in fresh "rawpowah". No doubt that Luke is powerful but his line in the trailer that he ain't a powerful as Rey and Kylo. Plus, possessing the body of a old ermit as an emperor doesn't provide the same image of vitality and strenghth than  a young and beautiful emperor/empress.

Let's compare with what Kylo and Rey's loss could represent for other characters and which emotional stake it would bring for Episode 9 :

1) The loss of a young character is always more shocking than the loss of a old character. We've sacrified the father in TFA: why not sacrifice the son in TLJ to set the parallel?

2) The loss of a child is probably the most traumatic experience for a human being. We know that bringing back Leia's son was already set as one of the key emotional stake of the ST. It could apply to Rey too but the problem is that she has no parents who could grieve her and I doubt that Rey's loss would represent such a big traumatism for Leia as a mother although she likes obviously her.
== > So Kylo's loss would represent a big emotional stake in term of Mother/Son dynamic, which is obviously not the case for Rey's

3) The loss of his nephew would represent a big emotional stake for Luke too since we know from Mark that he invested so much in him much like Obi-Wan did. He already feels responsible for his fall and will have to give an account to his Leia for his failure one day or another. So the loss of the nephew potentially represents for Luke complication in his relationship with his sister. This could once again apply to Rey but she has no uncle  who would be responsible for her loss. And Luke doesn't seem like he wants to invest much in her would Rey's loss represent such a big emotional stake for Luke?
==> So Kylo's loss would represent a big emotional stake in regard to the Uncle/Nephew and Mentor/Disciple dynamic, which is not really the case for Rey's

4) The loss of a (potential) lover is extremely traumatic and was a key thematic of the Anidala and Hanleia relationship. By definition, the loss of the potential lover represents the loss of your belonging, the destruction of any hope to build a family and beyond this the destruction of any hope to have descendants. Both Kylo and Rey could be equally shaken by the loss of the potential lover. Still, I rather go for Rey losing Ben because the heroine hasn't understood yet what/who is the "belonging she seeks".
==> Qo Kylo's loss or Rey's loss would both represent a big emotional stake in regard to the Lover dynamic

5) Rey's loss would represent a shock for Finn but I doubt that she knew Poe enough. As for Kylo, he indeed had issues with both of them so that it could impact how they react to that loss and to how they react to i.e. Rey or Leia's grief
==> So Rey's loss would surely represent a big emotional stake for Finn since her friend was ready to come back for her. Kylo's loss would involve big emotional stake indirectly in Finn/Rey's friendship dynamic in the sense that Finn might not understand why Rey would grieve someone like him

6) Possessing Kylo would potentially mean for Snoke to bring his youth, beauty and power back. And thus, he could be a young emperor who like Anakin could intend to rule the galaxy with an Empress and maybe have a lineage. Definitely more promising than possessing a old man with no descendant. Snoke could also possess Rey but let's keep in mind that Snoke is male and he doesn't know Rey as much as he knows Kylo. And keeping Kylo or Rey as vassal is hardly to imagine: Snoke is too clever not to see the danger of having by his side a FS who is so powerful if he can't completely control him/her.
== > So we know that Kylo ans Rey might be equally important for Snoke's plan but Kylo remains the easiest prey since he is the one who has been targeted from birth

7) I've already pointed out that given the reaction to the trailer, the GA not only seems genuinely surprised that Kylo could embody the person Rey needs and it doesn't seem like many foresee the romantic vibe. Too many people seem to think that Kylo won't be redeemed and that he will turn Rey to the DS by manipulating her. Since this is not going to go how they expect, I think it could be deeply shocking to have Ben on redemption path all along but lost to Snoke by the end. If the GA really think that Kylo shall die unredeemed and/or alone by the end of Ep.IX because he ain't worth of Rey's attention and/or love, I think it would be brillant to kinda anticipate their expectations

Cool Last point: If Luke becomes one with Snoke, we kinda already know that he'll come back:nobody would expect him not to come back. If Rey becomes one with Snoke/turn to the DS, her return is also predictable: she was set as the heroine and the GA  has much sympathy for her. The GA deeply doubt that Kylo could be redeemed and even survive by the end. If he ends up as one with Snoke, it makes his fate unpredictable, including for the future of Reylo. Therefore, everybody ends up shocked and unsure about the outcome of the ST.

So I wouldn't say no to this theory of Luke possesed by Snoke/becoming one with Snoke  because that's a very good point in regard to Luke represented in the center of the official poster and because there is definitely something up with him.  It's only that I just can't figure out which big stakes/strong emotional dimensions it would provide in comparison to Kylo or even Rey possessed by Snoke/becoming one with Snoke. Especially Kylo since his loss would bring big emotional stakes at all levels of "family dynamics": Mother/Son dynamic (Leia); Uncle/Nephew dynamic (Luke); Lover dynamic (Rey); Friendship dynamic (Finn, Poe); Mentor/Disciple dynamic (Luke; Snoke). It's just hard for me not to see him as some kind of centerpiece since he is the only character who shares an emotional bond (Leia; Luke; Snoke; Rey) an/or animosity to overcome (Luke; Poe; Finn;Rey) with all other key characters.

But it's only a feeling and if LF come with a differentunexpected andgood storyline, I'll be happy with that Smile
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen on Tue 17 Oct 2017, 6:30 am

As other have said, if Snoke wants something from Kylo and that something is his body, soul, powers. It kinda reduces him and his agenda quite a bit, even if temporary. But given what Serkis said, it's possible.

Snoke never said to kill a Skywalker, just to find him. So when he finds him, then what?
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by adamdrivershair on Thu 19 Oct 2017, 4:27 pm

Someone on the Star Wars main subreddit made a poster for ESB in the style of the TLJ poster:

To me it just highlights even more how very, very different Rey and Kylo's dynamic is compared to Luke and Vader. The parallel lightsabers, back-to-back positioning and identical sizing just look - wrong. Luke and Vader were not peers; their powers never flowed in harmony to each other. Vader was always this larger-than-life figure, looming over Luke; he fits much better in Palpatine's spot, imo.

Just found it interesting.
adamdrivershair
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen on Thu 19 Oct 2017, 4:35 pm

@adamdrivershair wrote:Someone on the Star Wars main subreddit made a poster for ESB in the style of the TLJ poster:

To me it just highlights even more how very, very different Rey and Kylo's dynamic is compared to Luke and Vader. The parallel lightsabers, back-to-back positioning and identical sizing just look - wrong. Luke and Vader were not peers; their powers never flowed in harmony to each other. Vader was always this larger-than-life figure, looming over Luke; he fits much better in Palpatine's spot, imo.

Just found it interesting.
@adamdrivershair

Fans of OT just insterting their views, because Rey and Kylo must be related and this mirroring Luke and Vader. Dynamic is a lot different.

Vader fits much better in Luke's place overseeing everything ansd everyone, because this is part of his legacy. Not Palpatine's. Rey has Anakin's lightsaber, Luke is his son, Leia is his daughter and Kylo grandson.
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum