Interview Revelations: "Hidden princess" and "the relationship between Rey and Kylo" and more golden quotes discussion

Page 16 of 19 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down

Re: Interview Revelations: "Hidden princess" and "the relationship between Rey and Kylo" and more golden quotes discussion

Post by Tex on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 11:15 am

@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:I think the author/interviewer just doesn't know anything about Hidden Fortress and jumped to conclusions. Oops Embarassed I'm honestly embarrassed for him.
@Cowgirlsamurai

Per Pablo's twitter account it seems like he's embarrassed for him too. Geez I'm even kind of embarrassed for the guy because he legit thought he had a scoop. They even put the word spoiler on the cover page! Suspect
Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Re: Interview Revelations: "Hidden princess" and "the relationship between Rey and Kylo" and more golden quotes discussion

Post by vaderito on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 11:16 am

@Forsythia wrote:Pablo's comment on princessgate:

@Forsythia

Well, Pablo tweeted that now, after consultations with LF. His initial reaction was "I haven't read it" which is BS. he was biding time until they investigated what happened. Poor Adam. lol!
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsWindu on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 11:19 am

@Darth Dingbat wrote:

@Forsythia

Yeah, that pretty much settles it Laughing
@Darth Dingbat

Oh boy I'm sure glad its been resolved as that sure got a lot of coverage in the intervening days
MrsWindu
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 11:20 am

@Forsythia

The Supreme Leader Pablo is wise.
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 11:21 am

TBF - a lot of the most vocal and diehard Star Wars fans don't seem to have a whole lot of old film knowledge besides the OT. Like how many fanboys do you think actually pick up on the David Lean or Kurosawa references in any of the trilogies? Or who were stoked when Rian Johnson released a list of influences which were all from either Turner Classic Movies or the Criterion Collection (sound of crickets)? Make fun of the writer for missing out on a reference to The Hidden Fortress if you like, but people who live in glass houses...
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 11:25 am

@vaderito wrote:

@Forsythia

Well, Pablo tweeted that now, after consultations with LF. His initial reaction was "I haven't read it" which is BS. he was biding time until they investigated what happened. Poor Adam. lol!
@vaderito

*gasp*

What if it's... both?

Adam is talking about the Princess in The Hidden Fortress, BUT it also applies to Rey, hence Pablo's original reaction.

*puts tinfoil hat on*
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 11:26 am

@snufkin wrote:TBF - a lot of the most vocal and diehard Star Wars fans don't seem to have a whole lot of old film knowledge besides the OT. Like how many fanboys do you think actually pick up on the David Lean or Kurosawa references in any of the trilogies? Or who were stoked when Rian Johnson released a list of influences which were all from either Turner Classic Movies or the Criterion Collection (sound of crickets)? Make fun of the writer for missing out on a reference to The Hidden Fortress if you like, but people who live in glass houses...
@snufkin

I don't think the problem was the missing reference - but that he didn't clarify it with Adam. He clearly wanted to have a spoiler and that's not OK in my opinion. So yeah, shame on him.
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 11:32 am

@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@vaderito wrote:

@Forsythia

@vaderito

*gasp*

What if it's... both?

Adam is talking about the Princess in The Hidden Fortress, BUT it also applies to Rey, hence Pablo's original reaction.

*puts tinfoil hat on*
@Darth Dingbat

At first I thought it refers to Rey too but then you guys made more sense of it than I did or read more carefully. I think it refers to The Hidden Fortress and not Rey. Doesn't mean that Rey might not have a royalty background.
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 11:33 am

@Darth Dingbat That works, IMO. His original reaction aka stalling definitely hints at something close to home. he's usually quick to debunk and mock but not that time. So there may be some weird coincidence where Adam was indeed referring to Hidden Fortress only but it also applies to Rey.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 11:35 am

@Night Huntress - the writer may or may not have jumped to conclusions the same way Vanity Fair did. Which in both cases, put the writer and the lead actor on the spot. I agree, that's bad editing and a silly controversy which didn't need to happen. My comment is more sniggering over the missed reference coming from SW fans. Because it's not exactly like you see them catching on to things like the film or literary references in the franchise if these are things which weren't created by Lucasfilm. In fact that's part of why this community exists, because a lot of us have picked up on these references thanks to our reading/film habits and education, only to be told by more established corners of the fandom that it's irrelevant or that we're making sh*t up. When if you even just look at Rian Johnson's interviews, he's mentioned writers like Jung or rattled off an entire list of classic/foreign film influences. That's what I'm being snarky about, fans who don't pay attention to or disregard the cinematic and literary influences on the franchise are more than a little ridiculous snarking on somebody else for having the same type of ignorance. That's all.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Tex on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 11:37 am

@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@vaderito wrote:

@Forsythia

@vaderito

*gasp*

What if it's... both?

*puts tinfoil hat on*
@Darth Dingbat

*puts on tinfoil hat*

Sure, Why not? I ain't got anything better to do then speculate for the next month. Razz
Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 11:39 am

@DarthRen wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@vaderito wrote:

@Forsythia

@vaderito

*gasp*

What if it's... both?

*puts tinfoil hat on*
@Darth Dingbat

At first I thought it refers to Rey too but then you guys made more sense of it than I did or read more carefully. I think it refers to The Hidden Fortress and not Rey. Doesn't mean that Rey might not have a royalty background.
@DarthRen

No, it doesn't mean she's NOT royalty, but I'd have a hard time believing she is at this point.

I was reading "The Force Doth Awaken" last night and after Rey uses the mind trick on the stormtrooper in her cell, there's a monologue about how surprised she is that the Force extends to people as humble as herself and she wonders if she could become something more than a scavenger, like a Jedi. If she IS royalty, then she doesn't know it, IMO, and Adam's quote doesn't refer to her.
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 11:43 am

@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@DarthRen wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@vaderito wrote:

@Forsythia

@vaderito

*gasp*

What if it's... both?

*puts tinfoil hat on*
@Darth Dingbat

@DarthRen

No, it doesn't mean she's NOT royalty, but I'd have a hard time believing she is at this point.

I was reading "The Force Doth Awaken" last night and after Rey uses the mind trick on the stormtrooper in her cell, there's a monologue about how surprised she is that the Force extends to people as humble as herself and she wonders if she could become something more than a scavenger, like a Jedi. If she IS royalty, then she doesn't know it, IMO, and Adam's quote doesn't refer to her.
@Cowgirlsamurai

Well, I don't know if she is or isn't, but the author of The Force Doth Awaken definitely wouldn't know Rey's identity either way, IMO.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Forsythia on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 11:46 am

@snufkin wrote:TBF - a lot of the most vocal and diehard Star Wars fans don't seem to have a whole lot of old film knowledge besides the OT. Like how many fanboys do you think actually pick up on the David Lean or Kurosawa references in any of the trilogies? Or who were stoked when Rian Johnson released a list of influences which were all from either Turner Classic Movies or the Criterion Collection (sound of crickets)? Make fun of the writer for missing out on a reference to The Hidden Fortress if you like, but people who live in glass houses...
I don't know anything about The Hidden Fortress either, but it was still obvious to me that Adam must be comparing Kylo to a character from that film because he was talking about that before and it just made no sense that he was suddenly talking about Rey (he didn't even name her). And it only took me a few seconds to google the film and find out that there is indeed a princess who is hiding her identity. So it's really weird that the interviewer didn't get it, didn't ask for clarification and didn't do any research on the film. And especially since Adam made pretty clear in the beginning that he wouldn't reveal anything about TLJ and that he doesn't like it when people misread his quotes. This seems to me that either the interviewer was an idiot (sorry) or he did this on purpose to bait people.

Last edited by Forsythia on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 11:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Forsythia
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 11:47 am

@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@vaderito wrote:

@Forsythia

@vaderito

*gasp*

What if it's... both?

*puts tinfoil hat on*
@Darth Dingbat

Did Supreme leader Pablo find himself in a trap?

Also, the author of the article did pull a David Kamp in all of his glory lol!

Last edited by Darth_Awakened on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 11:48 am

@Darth_Awakened wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@vaderito wrote:

@Forsythia

@vaderito

*gasp*

What if it's... both?

*puts tinfoil hat on*
@Darth Dingbat

@Darth_Awakened

Yes he did! The "haven't read it yet" reaction was suspect af. So not like him.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 11:48 am

@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@DarthRen wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@vaderito wrote:

@Forsythia

@vaderito

*gasp*

What if it's... both?

*puts tinfoil hat on*
@Darth Dingbat

@DarthRen

@Cowgirlsamurai

Well, I don't know if she is or isn't, but the author of The Force Doth Awaken definitely wouldn't know Rey's identity either way, IMO.
@Darth Dingbat

You don't think that that book was combed through and approved by someone at Lucasfilm before it printed? Not trying to argue, just wondering.
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 11:57 am

So basically what happened was Adam talks too fast during interviews and that 'princess- sentence seemed like a slip to the writer who apparently did not have any clue about Hidden Fortress.

So here we have AD happily yapping away, while Mr. GQ writer was already celebrating in his head because he got a scoop!

Now whether he realized his error in judgement later on during editting, we wouldn't know. But they at GQ surely used the opportunity to market this issue by making #princessgate the ultimate clickbait and buybait.

So it's both a slip (in a way) and a marketing strategy (for GQ)

Can you imagine Pabs and the others ar LFL panicking for like an hour and Adam who's chilling in his home thinking all is well is suddenly swarmed by the Disney SWAT team to clarify his slip?

Poor Adam. What is up with this trend of magazine journalists misinterpreting Star Wars?
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Forsythia on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 11:58 am

@vaderito wrote:
@Darth_Awakened wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@vaderito wrote:

@Forsythia

@vaderito

*gasp*

What if it's... both?

*puts tinfoil hat on*
@Darth Dingbat

@Darth_Awakened

Yes he did! The "haven't read it yet" reaction was suspect af. So not like him.
@vaderito

Yes, the way he dodged the question was really suspicious. I originally didn't think that Adam was talking about Rey when we got the quote without context, after Pablo's tweets I thought it might be true. But wouldn't it be too much of a coincidence that the interviewer misinterprets a quote that doesn't have anything to do with Rey as a spoiler and it's actually true?
Forsythia
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 12:01 pm

@Forsythia It wouldn't be too much. Things like that happen all the time. Rey may not be a princess but she may know who she is and hiding it. And that's a lot (cause obviously if she won't reveal herself to Skywalkers and Solos then she isn't one of them).
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 12:06 pm

Based on this new info (and Pablo's tweet, lol), I agree Adam was likely referring to the princess in Hidden Fortress. That doesn't mean it isn't applicable to Rey's identity too as that's also "hidden." I now think it was unlikely he was referring to Leia, although the comparison could be applicable there too.
Kessel

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 12:09 pm

It looks to me Adam was comparing the hidden princess to Kylo Ren.

But obviously Pablo didn't have a clue about it.

lol!
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 12:11 pm

@Darth_Awakened wrote:It looks to me Adam was comparing the hidden princess to Kylo Ren.

lol!
@Darth_Awakened

Bahahahhaha! Pablo pwn'd by Adam (whom Pablo doesn't like anyway).

@nonesuch scanned the magazine but it's too small for me to read. Anyone with better eyes?

http://starwarsnonsense.tumblr.com/

vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 12:16 pm

@vaderito wrote:
@Darth_Awakened wrote:It looks to me Adam was comparing the hidden princess to Kylo Ren.

lol!
@Darth_Awakened

Bahahahhaha! Pablo pwn'd by Adam (whom Pablo doesn't like anyway).

@nonesuch scanned the magazine but it's too small for me to read. Anyone with better eyes?

http://starwarsnonsense.tumblr.com/

@vaderito

Really? Wonder why.
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat on Wed 01 Nov 2017, 12:18 pm

@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@DarthRen wrote:
@Darth Dingbat wrote:
@vaderito wrote:

@Forsythia

@vaderito

*gasp*

What if it's... both?

*puts tinfoil hat on*
@Darth Dingbat

@DarthRen

@Cowgirlsamurai

@Darth Dingbat

You don't think that that book was combed through and approved by someone at Lucasfilm before it printed? Not trying to argue, just wondering.
@Cowgirlsamurai

I don't. I used to buy every book I could get my hands on, until Pablo admitted nobody at Lucasfilm even read the Alan Dean Forster novelisation of TFA, hence the ridiculous inconsistencies like Ahch-To being a jungle planet in the novel.

I think the various adaptations are the lowest on Lucasfilm's list of priorities. The film's the thing, and the adaptations are the various authors' interpretations of the film (or film script, in the novelisation's case), padded with their own headcanons. Cash grab, in other words.

The Force Doth Awaken isn't even a canon source, so it's even lower on the list of priorities IMO. Though the quality is heaps better than ADF's, for sure.
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 19 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum