The Last Jedi General Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Last Jedi General Discussion (Spoilers Allowed) - Page 3 Empty Re: The Last Jedi General Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Post by MyOnlyHope on Tue 19 Dec - 7:59

LMFAO

Rian Johnson on Rey and Kylo’s “Force connection” in The Last Jedi

Excerpt from the LA Times:

The evolution of Rey’s relationship with Kylo Ren takes an intense and pivotal turn in “The Last Jedi.” We learn that Supreme Leader Snoke has linked them through the Force, as if he were connecting a call at a switchboard — an idea thematically mirrored in Poe’s “bad connection” scene with Hux earlier in the film. Where did that idea originate?

It was always through the demands of the story. With the Force connections between Rey and Kylo I thought, “OK, I need to get these two talking. But if I put them face to face they’re going to either fight, or one of them has to be tied up” —

Well, they could also make out …

They could also make out! I’m going to give you a spinoff movie …

Even if they make out, then they can’t be talking. So I knew I wanted them to talk, and to talk enough to where we could go from “I hate you,” to her being forced to actually engage with him. That’s where the idea of these “Force connections” came from, which is kind of a new thing. It’s a little bit of a riff on what happens with Vader and Luke at the end of “The Empire Strikes Back,” but it’s entirely new in some regards.

I’ve got a catchy name for Rey and Kylo’s sexy “Force connection” sessions for you: “ForceTime.”

[Laughs] I’ve heard “Force Skyping,” but that’s good! I’ve got to talk to Apple. There’s a real big co-branding opportunity here.

[…]

Please explain the dramatic necessity of giving Kylo Ren a shirtless scene.

At the premiere I heard somebody in the balcony say, “Yesssss!” You can see Adam was training hardcore throughout the whole process. It’s fun but it also has a specific purpose, which is the increasing feeling of uncomfortable intimacy. That was sticking with the theme of trying to give Rey the hardest thing you could possibly give her, which would be unavoidable intimate conversation with this person that she wants to just hate. This was just one more way of upping that ante.

So … is this the first time Kylo has ever held hands with a girl?

I actually talked about that with Adam [Driver]. Adam was like, “So … have I actually kissed a girl before?” I would think maybe he has. Maybe after hours in the Jedi camp, there was a game of spin the bottle — “spin the lightsaber…”
MyOnlyHope
MyOnlyHope
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

The Last Jedi General Discussion (Spoilers Allowed) - Page 3 Empty Re: The Last Jedi General Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Post by ZioRen on Tue 19 Dec - 8:02

@MyOnlyHope wrote:LMFAO

The evolution of Rey’s relationship with Kylo Ren takes an intense and pivotal turn in “The Last Jedi.” We learn that Supreme Leader Snoke has linked them through the Force, as if he were connecting a call at a switchboard — an idea thematically mirrored in Poe’s “bad connection” scene with Hux earlier in the film. Where did that idea originate?

It was always through the demands of the story. With the Force connections between Rey and Kylo I thought, “OK, I need to get these two talking. But if I put them face to face they’re going to either fight, or one of them has to be tied up” —

Even if they make out, then they can’t be talking. So I knew I wanted them to talk, and to talk enough to where we could go from “I hate you,” to her being forced to actually engage with him. That’s where the idea of these “Force connections” came from, which is kind of a new thing. It’s a little bit of a riff on what happens with Vader and Luke at the end of “The Empire Strikes Back,” but it’s entirely new in some regards.

I’ve got a catchy name for Rey and Kylo’s sexy “Force connection” sessions for you: “ForceTime.”

[Laughs] I’ve heard “Force Skyping,” but that’s good! I’ve got to talk to Apple. There’s a real big co-branding opportunity here.

[…]

At the premiere I heard somebody in the balcony say, “Yesssss!” You can see Adam was training hardcore throughout the whole process. It’s fun but it also has a specific purpose, which is the increasing feeling of uncomfortable intimacy. That was sticking with the theme of trying to give Rey the hardest thing you could possibly give her, which would be unavoidable intimate conversation with this person that she wants to just hate. This was just one more way of upping that ante.

I actually talked about that with Adam [Driver]. Adam was like, “So … have I actually kissed a girl before?” I would think maybe he has. Maybe after hours in the Jedi camp, there was a game of spin the bottle — “spin the lightsaber…”
@MyOnlyHope

The spinoff movie is called Star Wars: Episode IX.

Also I have nothing but mad respect for that thirsty b**** in the balcony. They represent us all, whoever they are.
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Rowan on Tue 19 Dec - 8:10

@MyOnlyHope wrote:

@MyOnlyHope

OMG you guys did anyone else think that Adam asking "Have I ever kissed a girl BEFORE" means that maybe they tried to film a Reylo kiss?????

The Last Jedi General Discussion (Spoilers Allowed) - Page 3 Giphy

I remember reading somewhere a quote by Rian that they tried to have a central romance but they couldn't quite get the characters there. I hope we get to find this out someday.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 19 Dec - 8:14

@MyOnlyHope - The only place he has to go after playing Spin the Lightsaber with some girl at Jedi camp is to play Hide the Lightsaber with Rey.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Tue 19 Dec - 8:16

Honestly, the only place I can imagine a kiss in TLJ is in the heat of the moment after they defeat the Praets. Can you imagine if they kissed and THEN all that drama happened? Yeesh.  No
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Forsythia on Tue 19 Dec - 8:17

@MyOnlyHope wrote:

I actually talked about that with Adam [Driver]. Adam was like, “So … have I actually kissed a girl before?”
Claps
Forsythia
Forsythia
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel on Tue 19 Dec - 8:21

[…]

@MyOnlyHope

Ha! This is great stuff! It goes to show Rian was intentionally developing an intimate connection between them that's tinged with budding adolescent attraction. The fact Adam asked whether Kylo/Ben had ever kissed a girl is very telling on that front.

I'm glad to hear the shirtless scene actually served a purpose and wasn't just redundant exposition and humor like those sound supervisors for the movie claimed in that HuffPost article.  

I want that spinoff movie of Rey and Kylo making out!

Back to top Go down

Post by Forsythia on Tue 19 Dec - 8:23

@Darth Rowan wrote:
OMG you guys did anyone else think that Adam asking "Have I ever kissed a girl BEFORE" means that maybe they tried to film a Reylo kiss?????

I remember reading somewhere a quote by Rian that they tried to have a central romance but they couldn't quite get the characters there. I hope we get to find this out someday.

I remember something like that, too. The thought that we could have gotten a Reylo kiss and Rian then decided against it is sad Crying or Very sad Of course I could forgive him if we get a Reylo kiss in IX.
Forsythia
Forsythia
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Tue 19 Dec - 8:23

I know I'm living when Rian Johnson is publicly joking about Rey and Kylo making out in "sexy ForceTime" calls with "uncomfortable intimacy" and Kylo's shirtless scene existing to "challenge" Rey. Also LOL @ Adam and Rian having had a conversation about how maybe Kylo kissed a girl before after-hours at Luke's bible Jedi camp. Virgin!Kylo confirmed? I would say so.

I'm as shocked that this interview exists as I am that TLJ exists.

@Darth Rowan
The quote is from Vanity Fair's infamous article on "what will NOT be in TLJ".

Adam probably just asked because Kylo's story arc involved his developing romantic feelings for Rey, so he wanted to know about Kylo's past love life. It's blatant confirmation that Kylo's feelings are romantic (no s***) but I don't think it's any indication that there was ever supposed to be a kiss in this film. I'm sure the "central romance" he wanted to go into initially was Rey and Kylo, but the characters weren't there yet. He probably decided that before even writing the script, no?

The fact that they don't kiss in this film is such a good sign for the future. They do the bare minimum with heaps of subtext. It's clear what's going on (if you aren't living in DenialVille) but they don't even really touch. After two movies of fairytale symbolism and JJ "SW is a fairytale" Abrams back fully on-board... we'll get our #KissOfLife in IX.

Last edited by FrolickingFizzgig on Tue 19 Dec - 8:29; edited 1 time in total
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide on Tue 19 Dec - 8:24

@Kessel wrote:

[…]

@MyOnlyHope

Ha! This is great stuff! It goes to show Rian was intentionally developing an intimate connection between them that's tinged with budding adolescent attraction. The fact Adam asked whether Kylo/Ben had ever kissed a girl is very telling on that front.

I'm glad to hear the shirtless scene actually served a purpose and wasn't just redundant exposition and humor like those sound supervisors for the movie claimed in that HuffPost article.  

I want that spinoff movie of Rey and Kylo making out!
@Kessel

Great minds, I just posted this in the romance thread.
Ben and spin the lightsaber? That is too cute.
ReyofLightSide
ReyofLightSide
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel on Tue 19 Dec - 8:25

@ZioRen wrote:

Also I have nothing but mad respect for that thirsty b**** in the balcony. They represent us all, whoever they are.
@ZioRen

This comment is golden and I agree with it 100%!

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Tue 19 Dec - 8:25

Also, I found this quote from the same article to be telling and intriguing. Gee, I wonder how they might use this going forward!
What about Force ghosts and the suggestion that Jedi masters wield even more previously unknown powers from beyond the grave? Can powerful Force users create physical, tangible manifestations?

The one point where we do introduce a bit of a twist in terms of Force ghosts is where Yoda calls down the lightning onto the tree. That, I think, is a tantalizing hint of the potential of someone who is a Force ghost interacting with the real world.
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by shii405 on Tue 19 Dec - 8:26

@Darth Rowan wrote:@MyOnlyHope

@Darth Rowan

THIS. OR... it went like this

Rian: I want your hand tremble when you're reaching her hand
Adam: Why would my hand be trembling?
Rian: Bcos this is a symbolic scene for Reylo first kiss!
Adam: So, have I actually kissed a girl before?

lol!

Either way.... yesss, REYLO IS VERY CANON!!
shii405
shii405
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Rowan on Tue 19 Dec - 8:28

@shii405 wrote:

@Darth Rowan

lol!

@shii405

Yasss! I'm down with either of these explanations. Twisted Evil

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MyOnlyHope on Tue 19 Dec - 8:34

From a narrative standpoint, it makes so much sense to save the #KissOfTheMillenium for the concluding chapter. Rey and Kylo haven't even touched skin physically yet. Closest was her grabbing his thigh during the guard fight. The lack of true physical contact just adds so much to the intensity of the dynamic because it gives you a sense of just how much has been left unfinished and unsaid. Now we have J.J. "bridal carry" "SW is a fairytale" Abrams back to finish what he started, and he will do just that.
MyOnlyHope
MyOnlyHope
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by thescavenger on Tue 19 Dec - 8:40

I loved how Rian mentioned “spin the lightsaber…”. It's entirely reminiscent of the Throne Room scene where Kylo's lightsaber was spinning and it stopped, most likely representing Kylo's decision to save Rey/kill Snoke. I mean he would definitely rather kiss Rey than Snoke. C'mon.
thescavenger
thescavenger
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide on Tue 19 Dec - 8:52

In the TLJ art book, they have a pic of Ben as a padawan and three other boys who look like padawans. I can't read the writing but am wondering if they are three of the future KOR?
ReyofLightSide
ReyofLightSide
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by shii405 on Tue 19 Dec - 9:01

@Darth Rowan wrote:
@shii405 wrote:

@Darth Rowan

lol!

@shii405

Yasss! I'm down with either of these explanations. Twisted Evil
@Darth Rowan

I am sooooo looking forward to TLJ novelization now! The old script might include a kiss or at least the hand-scene might be described sensually. Can't wait, can't wait!
shii405
shii405
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 19 Dec - 10:41

Guys question settled once and for all when it comes to who Rey's parents are - Chewie FTW!

The Last Jedi General Discussion (Spoilers Allowed) - Page 3 Screen38
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by thescavenger on Tue 19 Dec - 10:46

@snufkin wrote:Guys question settled once and for all when it comes to who Rey's parents are - Chewie FTW!

The Last Jedi General Discussion (Spoilers Allowed) - Page 3 Screen38
@snufkin

Oh my heart, this is too real. I had goosebumps reading that.
thescavenger
thescavenger
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by cherrylipstick on Tue 19 Dec - 12:39

OMG Chewie H-beating It's true!

Interesting article, I love to read about the process behind movies and acting choices.
So Ben wasn't exactly a clumsy boy  Mwehe well then the shirtless scene makes more sense, he actually seemed very confident and aware of his body.
cherrylipstick
cherrylipstick

https://cherrylipstick85.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine on Tue 19 Dec - 12:56

Guys, I'm seeing pics of the TLJ Art Book and the VD all over Tumblr. Can we have that here too?
Rei of Sunshine
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsWindu on Tue 19 Dec - 13:59

@Rei of Sunshine wrote:Guys, I'm seeing pics of the TLJ Art Book and the VD all over Tumblr. Can we have that here too?
@Rei of Sunshine

I thought both were officially released a few days ago ? Although I got an email from Amazon about a slight delay and won't receive my copies until Thursday which I'm rather annoyed about as I pre-ordered them in October!!
MrsWindu
MrsWindu
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsWindu on Tue 19 Dec - 14:08

@shii405 wrote:
@MrsWindu wrote:
@shii405 wrote:I think I read somewhere before TLJ first cut was 3 hours? Do we know what are the deleted scenes? I am so looking forward to, at least, ONE Force bond deleted scene. OR!! Full Force bond scenes with both Rey and Kylo from both locations. Too much to ask? God, I can't wait for all the Reylo goodness we get from DVD/Bluray.
@shii405

I found this - Apparently there will be over 20mins of  cut scenes included in the Blu Ray, including a blooper reel.

http://collider.com/the-last-jedi-deleted-scenes-details/

Johnson says the other major sequence missing from the film involves Rey (Daisy Ridley) and Luke (Mark Hamill) on Ach-To:

“And then on the island there’s a massive sequence that we shot with Daisy and Mark, which is kind of an additional sort of trial/test that she goes through, that involves her and Mark, and then a big emotional scene between the two of them. I mean, it’s big stuff, it’s like actual real scenes.”

And not to worry, Johnson says almost all of the deleted scenes will make the Blu-ray release, totaling roughly about 20 minutes or a little over:

“We loaded it up, man. Because we had so much good stuff, it was like, there were only a couple things where it’s like just a little two-shot thing, we said ‘We’ll hold that back.’ But all the major stuff, all the good stuff, we put on there.”
@MrsWindu

Ooh, sounds great! So when is the DVD/Bluray release? April?
@shii405

I found this about the Blu Ray and Amazon video/iTunes release dates

The Last Jedi General Discussion (Spoilers Allowed) - Page 3 Screen35
MrsWindu
MrsWindu
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism on Tue 19 Dec - 14:16

@MrsWindu wrote:
@Rei of Sunshine wrote:Guys, I'm seeing pics of the TLJ Art Book and the VD all over Tumblr. Can we have that here too?
@Rei of Sunshine

I thought both were officially released a few days ago ? Although I got an email from Amazon about a slight delay and won't receive my copies until Thursday which I'm rather annoyed about as I pre-ordered them in October!!
@MrsWindu

My hubbie ordered the VD book over a month ago for me and it arrived about 2 days late.
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum