Discussion: Kylo Ren/Ben Solo in TLJ

Page 3 of 33 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18 ... 33  Next

Go down

Re: Discussion: Kylo Ren/Ben Solo in TLJ

Post by DarthRen on Sat 16 Dec 2017, 3:14 pm

@Night Huntress wrote:
@PalmettoBlue wrote:

He may not deserve redemption, but damn if I don't want him to be redeemed anyway.
@PalmettoBlue

Oh, I agree! I agree so much! Not only because I wish for a happy ending Reylo- but because I really hate how his family dealt with all that... and I still can't forget to see him as the kid of Han and Leia. Two flawed but overall good people... and I don't believe in "bad seed"- nobody is born evil.

@Night Huntress

He has to get a piece of calmness, serenity and peace ... death or living. I somehow can't picture happy ending with them but maybe because what TLJ did to me. I feel depressed as Kylo and that was the point.
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by PalmettoBlue on Sat 16 Dec 2017, 3:19 pm

@DarthRen But when does he come the closest to that? When he's communing with Rey.
I'd really like to see JJ take that Force bond and have it kick in when they are vulnerable. Maybe they are both asleep and they talk in their dreams to one another. I wouldn't even mind if it ambushed them when they were trying to do other things.
I'm not a fan of Damerey, but I can just hear Ben in her head of she was with Poe or Finn, even platonically.
With all the mysticism in TLJ, JJ could kick it up a notch. Perhaps they could both be pulled to some netherworld where they have to sort their s*** out and the First Order and the Resistance have to make due without them.
Nevermind. That last bit is a Harry Potter fanfic I need to write....

BUT - my broader point remains the same. And I know I've heard SWC podcasts say this - someone has to redeem romantic love. The only ones to do that in this saga are Ben and Rey.
Please, JJ, if you're reading this, make it happen.
PalmettoBlue
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

https://palmettosdesk.blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen on Sat 16 Dec 2017, 3:23 pm

@PalmettoBlue wrote:@DarthRen But when does he come the closest to that? When he's communing with Rey.
I'd really like to see JJ take that Force bond and have it kick in when they are vulnerable. Maybe they are both asleep and they talk in their dreams to one another. I wouldn't even mind if it ambushed them when they were trying to do other things.
I'm not a fan of Damerey, but I can just hear Ben in her head of she was with Poe or Finn, even platonically.
With all the mysticism in TLJ, JJ could kick it up a notch. Perhaps they could both be pulled to some netherworld where they have to sort their s*** out and the First Order and the Resistance have to make due without them.

BUT - my broader point remains the same. And I know I've heard SWC podcasts say this - someone has to redeem romantic love. The only ones to do that in this saga are Ben and Rey.
@PalmettoBlue

Their destinies are intertwined, whatever that means. That's something.

I agree, Force bond has to be utilized further and expanded if possible, because otherwise another wasted opportunity.

I don't think romantic love needs a redemption. Änakin and Padme were good, people criticize it but it was good imo.

DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by PalmettoBlue on Sat 16 Dec 2017, 3:29 pm

@DarthRen wrote:
@PalmettoBlue wrote:@DarthRen But when does he come the closest to that? When he's communing with Rey.

@PalmettoBlue

I agree, Force bond has to be utilized further and expanded if possible, because otherwise another wasted opportunity.

I don't think romantic love needs a redemption. Änakin and Padme were good, people criticize it but it was good imo.

@DarthRen

Interesting take on Anakin and Padme. When I think of their relationship, I tend to remember him almost killing her, which leads me down a different road.

Romantic love could not bring Anakin back from the Dark side.
Family love did (love for his son.)
Family love could not bring Kylo back (he murdered his father.)
Hopefully, romantic love can bring him back.
PalmettoBlue
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 on Sat 16 Dec 2017, 4:32 pm

@PalmettoBlue wrote:
@DarthRen wrote:

@PalmettoBlue

@DarthRen

Interesting take on Anakin and Padme. When I think of their relationship, I tend to remember him almost killing her, which leads me down a different road.

@PalmettoBlue

Yes. He indeed saves Rey by love. But what is interesting with that Renperor scenario is that the fact he killed Snoke didn't solve the main problem, because romantic love didn't bring him back in the end. The movie makes it clear that Rey won't be the one to bring him back: she already failed like Padme. The only one who can bring Ben back...is Ben himself because Kylo Ren is his true and greatest ennemy. Sure, Rey will be a huge motivation for Ben but I think that the movie made pretty clear that Rey won't be anymore the good girl tryingdesperately to bring the bad guy on the good road. I think that Rian's intentions by making Rey going after Ben so naively was precisely to both mock and reassure people who thought that her arc in the whole franchise would be reduced to that mission. He did it because he used the fact that she is young and desperate for love to make her go naively after him thinking that he will turn easily just because she saw his future. But she failed and failure is the greates master. The Rey that we will get in Episode 9 will be probably more mature, thanks to Ben himself and the experience she went through in TLJ.
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Sat 16 Dec 2017, 4:36 pm

@reylo1992 wrote:
@PalmettoBlue wrote:
@DarthRen wrote:

@PalmettoBlue

@DarthRen

@PalmettoBlue

Yes. He indeed saves Rey by love. But what is interesting with that Renperor scenario is that the fact that he killed Snoke didn't solve the main problem. And romantic love didn't bring him back. The movie makes it cleverly clear that Rey won't be the one to being him back: she already failed like Padme. The only who can bring Ben back...is Ben himself because Kylo Ren is his true and greatest ennemy. Sure, Rey will a huge motivation for Ben but I think that the movie made pretty clear that Rey won't be a good girl who tries desperately to bring the bad guy on the good road. I think that Rian's intentions by making Rey so naively going after Ben was precisely to both  to mock and reassure people who thought that her arc in the whole franchise would be reduced to that mission. He did it because he used the fact that she is young and desperate for love so she naively goes after him thinking that he will turn easily just because she saw his future. The Rey that we will get in Episode 9 will be probably more mature, thanks to Ben himself and the experience she went through in TLJ.
@reylo1992

The problem is I think some people see that lesson you just said as Rey's lesson learned and that means the end of Reylo. She thought she could turn him, found out she couldn't, realized she was being naive and now she's wiser and refuses to let Kylo manipulate her into leaning on him. She has her own place in this story, and it's not to save him or be by his side. They're seeing Reylo as a cautionary tale that Rey rose above by the end, and that's that. Rian's words in that EW article probably aren't helping to change that perception.
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by PalmettoBlue on Sat 16 Dec 2017, 4:50 pm

I suppose I’ve been unclear.

I think the hope for romantic love will bring him back because he’s going to realize he wants her more than power. I’m not saying that it’s her only function in the story. But in the final analysis, this ST is as much about Ben as it is about her. I think they will find their way back to one another because they have intertwined destinies and I don’t think you can turn off a Force Bond. It’s still there.

This picture pretty much sums up what I think the eventual end will be (I’m on the reverse-Anakin bandwagon.)
PalmettoBlue
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru on Sat 16 Dec 2017, 5:56 pm

@PalmettoBlue

100% on board with this. They're totally Anidala on reverse, and even though I have several criticisms about some choices made in TLJ, they actually managed to "clean" the narrative of all the problematic things in Anidala: Padmé lost her agency (as a ruler/senator) and her life trying desperately to save Anakin, she was a walking talking plot device with absolutely no motivations besides saving Anakin and failing. When Rey rejects Kylo and, later, Kylo kneels before her while she leaves him to think about his choices, they're reassuring Rey's independence and how she's not the one responsible for him.
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Sat 16 Dec 2017, 5:59 pm

@Piper Maru wrote:@PalmettoBlue

100% on board with this. They're totally Anidala on reverse, and even though I have several criticisms about some choices made in TLJ, they actually managed to "clean" the narrative of all the problematic things in Anidala: Padmé lost her agency (as a ruler/senator) and her life trying desperately to save Anakin, she was a walking talking plot device with absolutely no motivations outside saving Anakin and failing. When Rey rejects Kylo and, later, Kylo kneels before her while she leaves him to think about his choices, they're reassuring Rey's independence and how she's not the one responsible for him.
@Piper Maru

Kylo consistently ends these movies in a "submissive" position to Rey when he makes the wrong decisions, even when he tries to assert power over her. It may be saying that no matter how powerful he thinks he is, he will always lose to Rey and be inferior until he takes control of himself and his destiny and does what is right. Then, they can stand as equals. Rey has her insecurities, fears, and struggles, but (as Daisy hilariously asserted in the video where she was questioned on how Rey beat Kylo in TFA) she is simply stronger than Kylo is right now in various ways.

That's why I raise my eyebrow at the people who find their relationship so abusive or paint Rey as a victim. As if!
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru on Sat 16 Dec 2017, 6:05 pm

@ZioRen wrote:
@Piper Maru wrote:@PalmettoBlue

100% on board with this. They're totally Anidala on reverse, and even though I have several criticisms about some choices made in TLJ, they actually managed to "clean" the narrative of all the problematic things in Anidala: Padmé lost her agency (as a ruler/senator) and her life trying desperately to save Anakin, she was a walking talking plot device with absolutely no motivations outside saving Anakin and failing. When Rey rejects Kylo and, later, Kylo kneels before her while she leaves him to think about his choices, they're reassuring Rey's independence and how she's not the one responsible for him.
@Piper Maru

Kylo consistently ends these movies in a "submissive" position to Rey when he makes the wrong decisions, even when he tries to assert power over her. It may be saying that no matter how powerful he thinks he is, he will always lose to Rey and be inferior until he takes control of himself and his destiny and does what is right. Then, they can stand as equals. Rey has her insecurities, fears, and struggles, but (as Daisy hilariously asserted in the video where she was questioned on how Rey beat Kylo in TFA) she is simply stronger than Kylo is right now in various ways.

That's why I raise my eyebrow at the people who find their relationship so abusive or paint Rey as a victim. As if!
@ZioRen

Right? She's obviously stronger than him simply because she has a huge amount of self-control (the heart of a true Jedi) that he simply lacks, at least for now. His strength lays in his passion (which makes him so unpredictable) but constantly f***s him up because he can't control his hormones.
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sat 16 Dec 2017, 6:08 pm

Speaking of ROTS parallels, the last Reylo scene is literally Rey having the higher ground. he's kneeling while she's on the rising Falcon.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru on Sat 16 Dec 2017, 6:10 pm

@vaderito wrote:Speaking of ROTS parallels, the last Reylo scene is literally Rey having the higher ground. he's kneeling while she's on the rising Falcon.
@vaderito

And she loves him just like Obi-Wan loved Anakin. It goes without saying. She's just disappointed as f****.
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sat 16 Dec 2017, 6:16 pm

@Piper Maru wrote:
@vaderito wrote:Speaking of ROTS parallels, the last Reylo scene is literally Rey having the higher ground. he's kneeling while she's on the rising Falcon.
@vaderito

And she loves him just like Obi-Wan loved Anakin. It goes without saying. She's just disappointed as f****.
@Piper Maru

But there's still hope cause you can't have a Skywalker story without love, any type of love. And he's the main Skywalker now.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 on Sat 16 Dec 2017, 6:32 pm

@vaderito wrote:
@Piper Maru wrote:
@vaderito

@Piper Maru

But there's still hope cause you can't have a Skywalker story without love, any type of love. And he's the main Skywalker now.
@vaderito Not to forget guys, they must continue the skywalker line and no way in hell will kylo/ben be with anyone but rey.
rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar on Sat 16 Dec 2017, 7:16 pm

Did someone count how many times Ben was mentioned on screen?  I loved how Snoke called him young Solo. Now no one has excuse to not know his real name.
SkyStar
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by thescavenger on Sat 16 Dec 2017, 11:44 pm

It keeps coming up but there's certainly this stress on the duality of Kylo Ren and Ben Solo, as many of you has said. It's always been there, being "torn apart". Lots of people have noticed the glove/no-glove representations of each character as well. It's beginning to make me think that perhaps being 'torn apart' is a good thing, although he has to get to his lowest point first, which was how TLJ ended. Then by IX, I'm just praying that having been completely torn apart, Rey could yank what's remaining of Ben Solo and saving what she loves, which is how they're going to win the war.
thescavenger
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Sun 17 Dec 2017, 12:36 am

Problem is....people keep forgetting what a hellish life Ben Solo had. Rey's life was hard and lonely, but she didn't have a monster inside her head from babyhood. Rey was abandoned by her parents, but had the fantasy to cling to that they were good people coming back for her one day. Ben's own uncle tried to murder him in his sleep. Once again, Rey is painted as so much 'better' than Kylo Ren, but although life has thrown a lot of challenges at her, she hasn't suffered in the same way as Kylo has. Rey herself still has to grow.....she needs to truly understand what drives Kylo Ren if she is to redeem him.And although he has to make the final choice himself, he still needs inspiration to do that. The Beast himself chose free Belle because he loved her....but she made him love her. And then she returned because she realised she loved him when he was on the point of death. And Rey will have a similar epiphany, of that I'm sure. As for Rey failing.....I actually don' t think she did, not completely. If she hadn' t initiated contact with Ben through the Force bond, he never would have killed Snoke. He' s taken the first step thanks to her compassion, then he fell again because of her rejection. At the moment they want different things, but what they really want is each other. Yoda said failure is a lesson....Rey needs to know why she did. And her attitude towards Kylo's plea for her to come with him played a very big part in that.
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Sun 17 Dec 2017, 12:37 am

@thescavenger wrote:It keeps coming up but there's certainly this stress on the duality of Kylo Ren and Ben Solo, as many of you has said. It's always been there, being "torn apart". Lots of people have noticed the glove/no-glove representations of each character as well. It's beginning to make me think that perhaps being 'torn apart' is a good thing, although he has to get to his lowest point first, which was how TLJ ended. Then by IX, I'm just praying that having been completely torn apart, Rey could yank what's remaining of Ben Solo and saving what she loves, which is how they're going to win the war.
@thescavenger

Exactly. But Rey still has much to learn herself.
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Lily Snape on Sun 17 Dec 2017, 1:04 am

@motherofpearl1 wrote:Is it just me, or was the right side of his face bruised - even at the end it looked discoloured.
@motherofpearl1

Yes-- but I'd expect that with a wound like the one he has.  Just a lot of tissue damage.  (I work in health care.). I also liked the 5 o'clock shadow-- because who would want to shave with an injury like that, he's under the mask anyway, and also, he's mentally a wreck.
Lily Snape
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Lily Snape on Sun 17 Dec 2017, 1:13 am

@ZioRen wrote:
@reylo1992 wrote:
@PalmettoBlue wrote:
@DarthRen wrote:

@PalmettoBlue

@DarthRen

@PalmettoBlue

Yes. He indeed saves Rey by love. But what is interesting with that Renperor scenario is that the fact that he killed Snoke didn't solve the main problem. And romantic love didn't bring him back. The movie makes it cleverly clear that Rey won't be the one to being him back: she already failed like Padme. The only who can bring Ben back...is Ben himself because Kylo Ren is his true and greatest ennemy. Sure, Rey will a huge motivation for Ben but I think that the movie made pretty clear that Rey won't be a good girl who tries desperately to bring the bad guy on the good road. I think that Rian's intentions by making Rey so naively going after Ben was precisely to both  to mock and reassure people who thought that her arc in the whole franchise would be reduced to that mission. He did it because he used the fact that she is young and desperate for love so she naively goes after him thinking that he will turn easily just because she saw his future. The Rey that we will get in Episode 9 will be probably more mature, thanks to Ben himself and the experience she went through in TLJ.
@reylo1992

The problem is I think some people see that lesson you just said as Rey's lesson learned and that means the end of Reylo. She thought she could turn him, found out she couldn't, realized she was being naive and now she's wiser and refuses to let Kylo manipulate her into leaning on him. She has her own place in this story, and it's not to save him or be by his side. They're seeing Reylo as a cautionary tale that Rey rose above by the end, and that's that. Rian's words in that EW article probably aren't helping to change that perception.
@ZioRen

But then there's Adam-- and yes, he was hedging, but still, saying something like "Depends on what you mean by living" when asked whether Kylo would make it out of this movie alive.  There's another two-hour film to come, so they can't just have Rey and Ben reopen the Force Bond with him saying, "I'm miserable, this sucks, I miss you, and I'll give it all up for you."  There will have to be a lot more going on.  But I think the difference will be that here, she tried to turn him-- in IX, he will have to turn himself.  But she will feel it, she will know it's real.  He will be Mr. Darcy at the end of Pride and Prejudice, not the jackass who tells Elizabeth that she's unworthy of him.  He's the last Skywalker-- he has to come back to the light and continue the family.  And I don't think Rey is just going to be a guest at the wedding.
Lily Snape
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen on Sun 17 Dec 2017, 1:17 am

@motherofpearl1 wrote:Problem is....people keep forgetting what a hellish life Ben Solo had. Rey's life was hard and lonely, but she didn't have a monster inside her head from babyhood. Rey was abandoned by her parents, but had the fantasy to cling to that they were good people coming back for her one day. Ben's own uncle tried to murder him in his sleep. Once again, Rey is painted as so much 'better' than Kylo Ren, but although life has thrown a lot of challenges at her, she hasn't suffered in the same way as Kylo has. Rey herself still has to grow.....she needs to truly understand what drives Kylo Ren if she is to redeem him.And although he has to make the final choice himself, he still needs inspiration to do that. The Beast himself chose free Belle because he loved her....but she made him love her. And then she returned because she realised she loved him when he was on the point of death. And Rey will have a similar epiphany, of that I'm sure.                                                                                                                                     As for Rey failing.....I actually don' t think she did, not completely. If she hadn' t initiated contact with Ben through the Force bond, he never would have killed Snoke. He' s taken the first step thanks to her compassion, then he fell again because of her rejection. At the moment they want different things, but what they really want is each other. Yoda said failure is a lesson....Rey needs to know why she did. And her attitude towards Kylo's plea for her to come with him played a very big part in that.
@motherofpearl1

Redemption of Ben Solo can only come through him and no one else. Family, someone he loves couldn't brought him back. This is much tougher than with Vader, he turned to the light beause of his son Luke. Kylo/Ben killed Han and in a way pushed away someone he loves because he wanted it all but also because he is mentally ill due to Snoke's manipulations.

@rey09 wrote:
@vaderito wrote:
@Piper Maru wrote:
@vaderito

@Piper Maru

@vaderito Not to forget guys, they must continue the skywalker line and no way in hell will kylo/ben be with anyone but rey.
@rey09

I think the best case scenario, LF will left it ambigious that Skywalkers might return. This gives them room to do the new trilogy moving away from them or realize they need them for future.
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Sun 17 Dec 2017, 2:43 am

@Lily Snape wrote:
@motherofpearl1 wrote:Is it just me, or was the right side of his face bruised - even at the end it looked discoloured.
@motherofpearl1

Yes-- but I'd expect that with a wound like the one he has.  Just a lot of tissue damage.  (I work in health care.). I also liked the 5 o'clock shadow-- because who would want to shave with an injury like that, he's under the mask anyway, and also, he's mentally a wreck.
@Lily Snape

Yet weirdly hotter than ever............especially at the end. Shocked
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen on Sun 17 Dec 2017, 2:46 am

@Piper Maru wrote:
@vaderito

@Piper Maru

Obi-Wan and Anakin were like a family, but I get what you mean. Personally, I don't hink it was a love, yet. Strong attraction, affection and flirting between dark and light. Love is what they must realize and learn to make a peace within themselves and accept each other.
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Sun 17 Dec 2017, 2:56 am

And there you have it - they both must bend a little. I'm not saying Rey shouldn't have rejected Kylo, it was how she rejected him that made me mad. Instead of telling him that as long as he was threatening her friends she couldn' t be with him, she attacked. But this is typical knee jerk reaction from a very impulsive young woman. And that shows Rey's path is far from settled yet. Adam's comment that Kylo isn't exactly living just about sums up where he is at this moment. And Daisy said that she 'doesn't think Rey will become a Jedi' which is a very telling comment.
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Men on Sun 17 Dec 2017, 2:57 am

Why did Kylo suddenly get stupid at the end? He manufactures this perfect coup, where he seems steps ahead of everybody. I get that he's supposed to be emotional and letting his emotions get in the way of his judgments. But he's not stupid. The biggest problem I have with the film, well one of them, is that the first half requires Rey to be dumber than she is and the second half requires Kylo to be dumber than he is. The fact that The Last Jedi is the Finn and Rose Show, at least in terms of time, just adds to that frustration.

Kylo Men
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 33 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18 ... 33  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum