Discussion: Podcasts

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by Kylo Rey on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 6:00 pm

@IoJovi wrote:
@californiagirl wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@Kessel wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@Gemlake wrote:
@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
@Saracene wrote:Just wanted to add, the reason we're residing in our little echo chamber here is because we actually take romantic love as a serious story element and not a silly frivolous thing that's only relevant to shippers and tumblr fangirls. It's impossible to overstate the sheer cringe factor that's often associated with the romance in the wider discussions. I know I had to overcome a mental block of sorts in order to discuss romantic Reylo in an open matter-of-fact manner in the other corners of the internet.
@Saracene
Oh, I'm endlessly amused that despite two years of being called delusional fangirls Rian et al. obviously considered romantic attachment to be a very real and impactful story element. 

Today I was reminiscing a bit about Death and the Maiden's initial predictions surrounding Kylo's one-sided obsession and Rey choosing the "nice guy" after her cautionary tale with the sensual villain. The irony is this is now what the antis are clinging to as a story. The very first popular Reylo meta is the best they can hope for, and it's already 100% nonsense given the fact that Rey clearly has deep feelings for Ben. Her vision gives her this look of wonder and a single tear falls down her face. She just saw Kylo killing Snoke? Sure, Jan. Laughing

It's like they've had to slowly climb up the rungs of a ladder, accepting each step as it came to them. Funny for a bunch of geniuses who were adamant that Kylo would never develop feelings for the girl he envied and feared. Now he's making "I'm just a girl" confessions and the only thing they can cling to is retcon and the Skywalker line being wiped out. HAHAHA.
@FrolickingFizzgig

Then there are those who still strongly believe that Rey is a Skywalker.  Their ladder is quite long, possibly never ending.

Ohtze's original analysis put a lot of weight into the bridal carry, which, of course, is evocative of a Phantom of the Opera/one sided relationship.  My personal belief is that the bridal carry was a holdover from the Jedi Killer phase of the script.  And JJ simply kept the scene.
@Gemlake

If I recall, the Bridal Carry was a late-add by JJ.  At the very least, I don't think it was in the shooting script or novelizations. So, while it was certainly another data point pointing to Reylo, it probably shouldn't have been used as the definitive moment to determine how Reylo was going to play out.
@ISeeAnIsland

From what I recall, I think Rey was orginally supposed to fall off screen when Kylo rendered her unconscious (so he wasn’t supposed to catch her), but he was always supposed to carry her to his ship which is what Han and Finn see. That makes sense because Han and Finn’s reactions are important (Han sees his son and Finn sees Rey being taken).
@Kessel

I think you're correct on that. I think I misremembered the details on that.
@ISeeAnIsland

I recall that from the novelization actually. She drops offscreen and is then carried onto the ship.

Also, didn't Rian move to San Francisco for 6 months to work with the story group? He claims they were cool as long as he didn't disturb canon, but it seems excessive for just that. Couldn't he have just sent them the script afterwards to look for continuity errors? What is the point of spending half a year with these people, who according to other authors have a great amount of say over the stories? Like the story group would just go "u wanna kill Luke Skywalker, ok that's cool, u do u." I mean really.
@californiagirl

Wow, I didn’t know Rian moved to SF for six months specifically for that.  If he truly had free reign, I highly doubt he needed a daily working environment with them unless it was a truly collaborative effort.  

And LOL at them being just totally cool with Luke Skywalker being killed off, as if it’s just another run of the mill decision Rian made.  Laughing

Sure, Jan...

@IoJovi

Yeah he mentioned it on the podcast. He was in touch with the Story Group regularly, used to email them a lot. He had a document that he would update regularly and discuss with Kiri Hart daily/weekly (can't remember which).

Found a video of JJ talking about Rian from the TFA press tour: https://mobile.twitter.com/ManuelDuarte24/status/954877478673309697/video/1

"And then when Rian was brought on board, we talked to him about all the ideas that we had and all the things we were working on. He pitched ideas and he was taking the story in some places that were very much in line with what we were thinking, and in other places going and telling a story that was very different from what we were thinking but was incredibly exciting to see where he was going. He's so great. It wasn't like we were dealing with someone who needed our help. It was great to see the way he took what we had started and where he's gone, I think, is going to be pretty exciting."
avatar
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1004
Likes : 8465
Date d'inscription : 2016-12-24
Age : 22
Localisation : England

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by nickandnora on Thu 25 Jan 2018, 7:35 pm

@californiagirl

Also, didn't Rian move to San Francisco for 6 months to work with the story group? He claims they were cool as long as he didn't disturb canon, but it seems excessive for just that. Couldn't he have just sent them the script afterwards to look for continuity errors? What is the point of spending half a year with these people, who according to other authors have a great amount of say over the stories? Like the story group would just go "u wanna kill Luke Skywalker, ok that's cool, u do u." I mean really.
Had to quote and bold this because it's honestly one of the funniest things I've ever read. Laughing

nickandnora
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 331
Likes : 1711
Date d'inscription : 2018-01-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by Gemlake on Fri 26 Jan 2018, 7:15 am

@Kessel wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@Gemlake wrote:
@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
@Saracene wrote:Just wanted to add, the reason we're residing in our little echo chamber here is because we actually take romantic love as a serious story element and not a silly frivolous thing that's only relevant to shippers and tumblr fangirls. It's impossible to overstate the sheer cringe factor that's often associated with the romance in the wider discussions. I know I had to overcome a mental block of sorts in order to discuss romantic Reylo in an open matter-of-fact manner in the other corners of the internet.
@Saracene
Oh, I'm endlessly amused that despite two years of being called delusional fangirls Rian et al. obviously considered romantic attachment to be a very real and impactful story element. 

Today I was reminiscing a bit about Death and the Maiden's initial predictions surrounding Kylo's one-sided obsession and Rey choosing the "nice guy" after her cautionary tale with the sensual villain. The irony is this is now what the antis are clinging to as a story. The very first popular Reylo meta is the best they can hope for, and it's already 100% nonsense given the fact that Rey clearly has deep feelings for Ben. Her vision gives her this look of wonder and a single tear falls down her face. She just saw Kylo killing Snoke? Sure, Jan. Laughing

It's like they've had to slowly climb up the rungs of a ladder, accepting each step as it came to them. Funny for a bunch of geniuses who were adamant that Kylo would never develop feelings for the girl he envied and feared. Now he's making "I'm just a girl" confessions and the only thing they can cling to is retcon and the Skywalker line being wiped out. HAHAHA.
@FrolickingFizzgig

Then there are those who still strongly believe that Rey is a Skywalker.  Their ladder is quite long, possibly never ending.

Ohtze's original analysis put a lot of weight into the bridal carry, which, of course, is evocative of a Phantom of the Opera/one sided relationship.  My personal belief is that the bridal carry was a holdover from the Jedi Killer phase of the script.  And JJ simply kept the scene.
@Gemlake

If I recall, the Bridal Carry was a late-add by JJ.  At the very least, I don't think it was in the shooting script or novelizations. So, while it was certainly another data point pointing to Reylo, it probably shouldn't have been used as the definitive moment to determine how Reylo was going to play out.
@ISeeAnIsland

From what I recall, I think Rey was orginally supposed to fall off screen when Kylo rendered her unconscious (so he wasn’t supposed to catch her), but he was always supposed to carry her to his ship which is what Han and Finn see. That makes sense because Han and Finn’s reactions are important (Han sees his son and Finn sees Rey being taken).
@Kessel

I think both can be correct---aspects of the Bridal Carry were on the fly, and the Bridal Carry was in earlier concept art.  JJ has said that he and Kasdan basically started from scratch with the script, but they were constantly incorporating earlier elements.  For example, the Jedi Killer's interrogation scene was first meant to be part of a series of scenes showing Sam's "awakening".  The interrogation was viewed from Sam's perspective, as he watches the interrogation secretly from an upper window.   JJ and Kasdan dropped those scenes but used Kylo's interrogation of Poe as a setup for Rey's interrogation.

Edited to add:  I should also say that I could be completely wrong about the Jedi Killer and a relationship with Kira. Unlike other aspects of Reylo, this is very shrouded in secrecy.  I enjoy discussing it here, though.

Gemlake
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 92
Likes : 524
Date d'inscription : 2017-12-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by Lily Snape on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 12:50 am

@PalmettoBlue wrote:
@snufkin wrote:@SoloSideCousin - sorry I've forgotten what old discussion I may have referenced. Which old post and I'll try to hunt it down for you.
@PalmettoBlue wrote:
@Maria Antonietta wrote:
@PalmettoBlue wrote:Uhhh...so, I have a podcast. And I thought I'd mention it. Since I'm a Reylo...it's Reylo friendly. If y'all like to give us a listen, we're on SoundCloud and I-tunes.
Our most recent episode is: Balancing on the Blade of a Lightsaber (The concept of balance in Star Wars.) Naturally, I can't be trusted not to make pro-Reylo comments periodically. Fair warning: Southern accents abound - some might even call it country. In at least one part, I swear the ladies from s*** Southern Women Say would approve.

Here's the Soundcloud link:Soundcloud
I-tunes:I-tunes

I hope those links work (in case anyone is interested....)
@PalmettoBlue

cheers I love Southern accent H-beating
@Maria Antonietta

Thank you! I hope you enjoy the podcast if you decide to give it a listen. I'm getting more comfortable on the microphone, so I think it's creeping out even more because I'm not struggling to sound more academic than I actually am.

@PalmettoBlue

So nearly almost all of my family is Southern and it's funny how the accent is perceived internally within the US to mean provincial, stupid, and ignorant. There are some actors/actresses who speak and perform within their original accent and dialect, but most people feel like if they want to be taken seriously as intelligent and professional, they smooth it out. See nearly every one of my relatives who worked in a technical field, especially if they left the South. Meanwhile non-Americans love that accent in terms of loving how it sounds compared to other standard English dialects. And it's not even one specific type of accent, pronunciation, or dialect. It's a range and varies on the historic nationalities (European colonizers, First Nations, and West African enslaved nations) and migration patterns for the region. I'm used to the more soft sounds of my relatives (Arkansas, Western Tennessee, Louisiana, and Central Texas) but other parts of the South? Especially further down the Bible Belt? Completely different cadence that definitely does not sound familiar to my ears. I don't think it's exactly Code Switching, but it's at least a different dialect going back and forth between talking with some of my relatives versus most of the time how I speak.



@snufkin
You are so right - people tend to hear me speak and automatically deduct 20 points from my IQ. And I think that carries over into the podcast given a bit of the feedback we've gotten. I have found that phenomena to be true for many southerners.
I did use a very southern/country phrase that I wouldn't normally use on a podcast, but I got carried away and lost myself. bounce But it fit so well....
@PalmettoBlue

Thanks for the link to your podcast! As for accents, there is a similar thing about accents from my native country, which is Ireland. Just like there’s no one single Southern accent, there’s no one single Irish accent. My family in Derry and Belfast in the north don’t sound like Domnhall Gleeson. Smile
avatar
Lily Snape
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 458
Likes : 2429
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by PalmettoBlue on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 6:08 pm

@Lily Snape I should have known that, but I hadn't really thought about it! I love hearing all the different accents - and Star Wars Connection is great for that. I have a friend from England and I asked her about the ladies from Scavenger's Hoard and she tried to identify where they were from. Say When (my podast) is a little different because we are in our 40s, so our perspectives might be a little different than so many other podcasts out there.
All I know is that I'm grateful to have good podcasts that are Reylo-friendly to listen to on the way to work!
avatar
PalmettoBlue
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 611
Likes : 2621
Date d'inscription : 2017-10-14
Localisation : USA

https://palmettosdesk.blog/

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by Lily Snape on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 7:47 pm

@PalmettoBlue wrote:@Lily Snape I should have known that, but I hadn't really thought about it! I love hearing all the different accents - and Star Wars Connection is great for that. I have a friend from England and I asked her about the ladies from Scavenger's Hoard and she tried to identify where they were from. Say When (my podast) is a little different because we are in our 40s, so our perspectives might be a little different than so many other podcasts out there.
All I know is that I'm grateful to have good podcasts that are Reylo-friendly to listen to on the way to work!
@PalmettoBlue

I’m in my 40s also— and I just downloaded all four episodes and subscribed. Smile I should add as a fellow 40-something, we just saw my husband’s oldest friend for the first time since he saw The Last a Jedi. He saw ANH in the theaters in 1977 as a 6-year-old like my husband did (I didn’t, but I saw ESB three years later and was hooked.). Anyway, he’s by definition an OT fanboy, a Gen-Xer who grew up with the OT, and given all the pushback and drama, I had wondered what he’d think of The Last Jedi. As it turns out, he really liked it— he thought they had to change things up and move things along or risk just falling into the rut of telling the same old story over and over. So, as you know, not all of us who grew up with the OT are complaining about Rian Johnson ruining our childhood retrospectively. Smile I think it’s a loud minority of fans. With computers, and a lot of time on their hands.
avatar
Lily Snape
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 458
Likes : 2429
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by SoloSideCousin on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 10:21 pm

@Lily Snape wrote:
@PalmettoBlue wrote:@Lily Snape I should have known that, but I hadn't really thought about it! I love hearing all the different accents - and Star Wars Connection is great for that. I have a friend from England and I asked her about the ladies from Scavenger's Hoard and she tried to identify where they were from. Say When (my podast) is a little different because we are in our 40s, so our perspectives might be a little different than so many other podcasts out there.
All I know is that I'm grateful to have good podcasts that are Reylo-friendly to listen to on the way to work!
@PalmettoBlue

I’m in my 40s also— and I just downloaded all four episodes and subscribed. Smile I should add as a fellow 40-something, we just saw my husband’s oldest friend for the first time since he saw The Last a Jedi. He saw ANH in the theaters in 1977 as a 6-year-old like my husband did (I didn’t, but I saw ESB three years later and was hooked.). Anyway, he’s by definition an OT fanboy, a Gen-Xer who grew up with the OT, and given all the pushback and drama, I had wondered what he’d think of The Last Jedi. As it turns out, he really liked it— he thought they had to change things up and move things along or risk just falling into the rut of telling the same old story over and over. So, as you know, not all of us who grew up with the OT are complaining about Rian Johnson ruining our childhood retrospectively. Smile I think it’s a loud minority of fans. With computers, and a lot of time on their hands.
@Lily Snape

Sing it sister! I saw Star Wars (ANH is still.Star Wars in my head) in the theatre (I was a toddler, so the memory is fuzzy, lol), but it really started with ESB. Practically every Gen X person I know loves TLJ, with one or two fanboy exceptions. IMO, a lot of Gen-Xers were really burned by the PT, and only came back when they *knew* that there would be change, because there was a new creative team in place. I remember my husband's friend being so delighted with TFA. He was like "it's back, it's back!", even as Kylo killed his favorite character. I think a ton of OT people who are not vocal were thrilled to return to better direction, writing, acting in this franchise and know that the stories have to be shaken up.
avatar
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4567
Likes : 21948
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by Birdwoman on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 10:46 pm

I am in my forties also! Whoot. ANH, is the first movie I remember seeing....but according to my mom. My first movie was Cinderella but I was three.

@PalmettoBlue,
What is the name of your podcast again?

Birdwoman
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1039
Likes : 4584
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by snufkin on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 10:55 pm

@SoloSideCousin I just remember it being a big deal that we were getting both George Lucas and Terence Malick both coming out from hiding to make films again when American Graffiti, Star Wars, Days of Heaven, and Badlands were so iconic for the 70s/80s. Malick's comeback fared better than Lucas did.

And while I knew that we weren't going to get the usual Ewan McGregor does full frontal nudity in that role, 15 minutes in to TPM, I was like "this was not meant for those of us who grew up with the original movies." The PT was the reverse situation for me as an adult - realizing that it's meant for children. Versus tagging along with my teenaged siblings as a child to the OT (and Days of Heaven) where I was getting exposed to something meant for people older than me.


Last edited by snufkin on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 7599
Likes : 34482
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-16
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 11:16 pm

I'm another 40-something Gen-X'er. I grew up with and loved the OT (I didn't see ANH until it was re-released sometime after ESB, but I did see ESB in the theatre with my mom when I was 5). Although I've since come around on them and now consider myself to have "mixed feelings" about the PT, I'm also thought my Star Wars fan days ended with my huge disappointment in the PT.

I didn't really follow much hype for TFA, beyond watching the trailers and reading a few magazine articles, and I'd pretty much expected to not like it. Husband and I saw TFA a few days after it opened, and I was shocked by how much I loved it...and I was just downright giddy about Rey and Kylo's dynamic.
avatar
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 5524
Likes : 28679
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Localisation : Seattle, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by Birdwoman on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 11:58 pm

I remember seeing ROTJ at 13, being shocked that Vader got redeemed. Luke, kept saying he had conflict in him but because he was a half robot guy, I could never pick up on that....so the ending was a shock to me a pre-teen. I was thinking about that the other day when I was watching ROTJ, on TV. I also like how Kylo seems to be a more fleshed out character than Vader. Vader was the villain and he was a villain. I didn't see the human side until the last 10 minutes of the movie and it was jarring. Another thing is that I love that you literally see Kylo's conflict in Adams acting.

Birdwoman
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1039
Likes : 4584
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by Lily Snape on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 12:53 am

@Birdwoman wrote:I remember seeing ROTJ at 13, being shocked that Vader got redeemed. Luke, kept saying he had conflict in him but because he was a half robot guy, I could never pick up on that....so the ending was a shock to me a pre-teen. I was thinking about that the other day when I was watching ROTJ, on TV. I also like how Kylo seems to be a more fleshed out character than Vader. Vader was the villain and he was a villain. I didn't see the human side until the last 10 minutes of the movie and it was jarring. Another thing is that I love that you literally see Kylo's conflict in Adams acting.
@Birdwoman

Reading your post, it just occurred to me that Star Wars is so pervasive in our culture that a lot of its secrets are common knowledge, which means that not everyone gets to experience the shocking transition from Vader as one-dimensional bad guy to Vader as fallen Jedi Anakin Skywalker, Luke’s father, a good man (in Obi Wan’s words) who fell to the Dark side. What a shift in my mindset that was. We tried to keep our kids unspoiled for ESB—easy for the oldest, more difficult for those with older siblings—and our littlest is still very little, so we have one more to go. Smile. It’s such a different story than Kylo’s in so many ways. Adam’s acting is amazing—I’m really glad they had him (dramatically) dispose of the helmet.

And yes, to me “A New Hope” will always just be “Star Wars.” Smile
avatar
Lily Snape
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 458
Likes : 2429
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by giaciak2 on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 4:09 am

I think I loved the movie - exactly - for Adam's acting. He passed from the arrogant black prince of TFA to a lonely boy with a broken heart (but still full of potential to reveal). The crazy thing is that his dialogues are minimal. I understood the film only based on the expressions of his face. However, the film is one of those masterpieces that I have look at and relate to. It's an onion film. What you see is only the first layer. To understand all the scenes well, I had to read many articles. I am here with you to discover what I have not yet understood. Fantastic. He exceeded all my expectations.
avatar
giaciak2
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 304
Likes : 853
Date d'inscription : 2018-01-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by PalmettoBlue on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 6:55 am

@Birdwoman wrote:I am in my forties also! Whoot. ANH, is the first movie I remember seeing....but according to my mom.  My first movie was Cinderella but I was three.

@PalmettoBlue,
What is the name of your podcast again?
@Birdwoman

I'm a Gen-Xer as well. The tagline on our podcast is something along the lines of "A pair of Gen-X BFFs, nothing serious to hear!" We thought there might be space for us to talk about pop culture that catches our interest; most of the other podcasts that I choose to listen to seem to be hosted by people younger than us. Smile
To answer your question: Say When: A Geeky Podcast. We are on i-tunes and Soundcloud. The logo is bright pink and navy. You will definitely know it when you see it.
avatar
PalmettoBlue
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 611
Likes : 2621
Date d'inscription : 2017-10-14
Localisation : USA

https://palmettosdesk.blog/

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by bashfulblueeyes3 on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 8:52 am

@PalmettoBlue wrote:
@Birdwoman wrote:I am in my forties also! Whoot. ANH, is the first movie I remember seeing....but according to my mom.  My first movie was Cinderella but I was three.

@PalmettoBlue,
What is the name of your podcast again?
@Birdwoman

I'm a Gen-Xer as well. The tagline on our podcast is something along the lines of "A pair of Gen-X BFFs, nothing serious to hear!" We thought there might be space for us to talk about pop culture that catches our interest; most of the other podcasts that I choose to listen to seem to be hosted by people younger than us. Smile
To answer your question: Say When: A Geeky Podcast. We are on i-tunes and Soundcloud. The logo is bright pink and navy. You will definitely know it when you see it.
@PalmettoBlue

I am in my forties as well. It is nice to see people of my age in the fandom.

bashfulblueeyes3
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 185
Likes : 873
Date d'inscription : 2017-07-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by IoJovi on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 9:23 am

@bashfulblueeyes3 wrote:
@PalmettoBlue wrote:
@Birdwoman wrote:I am in my forties also! Whoot. ANH, is the first movie I remember seeing....but according to my mom.  My first movie was Cinderella but I was three.

@PalmettoBlue,
What is the name of your podcast again?
@Birdwoman

I'm a Gen-Xer as well. The tagline on our podcast is something along the lines of "A pair of Gen-X BFFs, nothing serious to hear!" We thought there might be space for us to talk about pop culture that catches our interest; most of the other podcasts that I choose to listen to seem to be hosted by people younger than us. Smile
To answer your question: Say When: A Geeky Podcast. We are on i-tunes and Soundcloud. The logo is bright pink and navy. You will definitely know it when you see it.
@PalmettoBlue

I am in my forties as well. It is nice to see people of my age in the fandom.
@bashfulblueeyes3

Another GenX'er here checking in!   I'm 42, and have been into enemies to lovers/villain-heroine romances since I was 12, starting with Allura and Lotor on Voltron, back in the 80s.  It's all gone downhill from there... Laughing
avatar
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 7191
Likes : 41044
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Age : 101
Localisation : Atlanta, GA

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by 12 Parsnips on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 10:14 am

As long as we are confessing our ages, I'll jump in here too! Wink

@Lily Snape, your observation is a good one: it may be difficult for those who didn't see the original films years apart and didn't "live" through the process of Darth Vader's redemption--without having seen him start out as a man/decent human being in the prequels--to realize just how shocking it was for Luke to try to save him. And then for Vader's redemption to actually happen! It blew our minds.

And maybe that's why it's so difficult for me to wrap my head around the "Ben is so much worse than Vader" arguments out there... scratch
avatar
12 Parsnips
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 62
Likes : 333
Date d'inscription : 2017-12-20
Age : 46
Localisation : US

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by Darth_Awakened on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 11:42 am

@12 Parsnips wrote:As long as we are confessing our ages, I'll jump in here too! Wink

@Lily Snape, your observation is a good one: it may be difficult for those who didn't see the original films years apart and didn't "live" through the process of Darth Vader's redemption--without having seen him start out as a man/decent human being in the prequels--to realize just how shocking it was for Luke to try to save him. And then for Vader's redemption to actually happen! It blew our minds.

And maybe that's why it's so difficult for me to wrap my head around the "Ben is so much worse than Vader" arguments out there... scratch
@12 Parsnips

As a citizen of an ex-commie Eastern European country (and also a proud member of 40+ Skyforum club) I had to wait about six months to see the movies in the theater after the world premiere.
I saw the ESB in November 1980 - and became obsessed immediately by it. At the time I wasn't aware that the New Hope aka Star Wars even existed. Until some boys from my class started to talk about it.

When ROTJ came out in 1983 - I do remember running in the school corridors around those who saw the movie before me - and being super excited when heard that Vader killed the Emperor.
avatar
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4403
Likes : 21691
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 12:10 pm

@Darth_Awakened wrote:
@12 Parsnips wrote:As long as we are confessing our ages, I'll jump in here too! Wink

@Lily Snape, your observation is a good one: it may be difficult for those who didn't see the original films years apart and didn't "live" through the process of Darth Vader's redemption--without having seen him start out as a man/decent human being in the prequels--to realize just how shocking it was for Luke to try to save him. And then for Vader's redemption to actually happen! It blew our minds.

And maybe that's why it's so difficult for me to wrap my head around the "Ben is so much worse than Vader" arguments out there... scratch
@12 Parsnips

As a citizen of an ex-commie Eastern European country (and also a proud member of 40+ Skyforum club) I had to wait about six months to see the movies in the theater after the world premiere.
I saw the ESB in November 1980 - and became obsessed immediately by it. At the time I wasn't aware that the New Hope aka Star Wars even existed. Until some boys from my class started to talk about it.

When ROTJ came out in 1983 - I do remember running in the school corridors around those who saw the movie before me - and being super excited when heard that Vader killed the Emperor.
@Darth_Awakened

I remember going into RoTJ completely spoiled because I'd read one of the novelizations, which had come out before I saw the movie.

It's funny--I grew up in SoCal, and we had neighbors who'd driven to Yuma, AZ to watch part of the RotJ shoot, and the only security was a chain-link fence. They got photos of Carrie Fisher walking around on set (from a distance) in the metal bikini.
avatar
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 5524
Likes : 28679
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Localisation : Seattle, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by IoJovi on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 12:18 pm

@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@Darth_Awakened wrote:
@12 Parsnips wrote:As long as we are confessing our ages, I'll jump in here too! Wink

@Lily Snape, your observation is a good one: it may be difficult for those who didn't see the original films years apart and didn't "live" through the process of Darth Vader's redemption--without having seen him start out as a man/decent human being in the prequels--to realize just how shocking it was for Luke to try to save him. And then for Vader's redemption to actually happen! It blew our minds.

And maybe that's why it's so difficult for me to wrap my head around the "Ben is so much worse than Vader" arguments out there... scratch
@12 Parsnips

As a  citizen of an ex-commie Eastern European country (and also a proud member of 40+ Skyforum club) I had to wait about six months to see the movies in the theater after the world premiere.
I saw the ESB in November 1980 - and became obsessed immediately by it. At the time I wasn't aware that the New Hope aka Star Wars even existed. Until some boys from my class started to talk about it.

When ROTJ came out in 1983 - I do remember running in the school corridors around those who saw the movie before me - and being super excited when heard that Vader killed the Emperor.
@Darth_Awakened

I remember going into RoTJ completely spoiled because I'd read one of the novelizations, which had come out before I saw the movie.

It's funny--I grew up in SoCal, and we had neighbors who'd driven to Yuma, AZ to watch part of the RotJ shoot, and the only security was a chain-link fence.  They got photos of Carrie Fisher walking around on set (from a distance) in the metal bikini.
@ISeeAnIsland

That's hilarious.  Imagine the fanfare had the TLJ novelization been released BEFORE the movie's release.  Laughing   

Now we are in a situation where the novel isn't getting released til March solely because they didn't want the story to leak before the movie.  Times have changed.

And LOL about Carrie Fisher walking around in her metal bikini for everyone to see.  For the Ireland filming, the most we got was Beer Can Chicken Monster, and a completely fake leak about Kylo Ren coming to Ach-To, that I believe was purposefully by LFL.
avatar
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 7191
Likes : 41044
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Age : 101
Localisation : Atlanta, GA

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 12:21 pm

@IoJovi wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@Darth_Awakened wrote:
@12 Parsnips wrote:As long as we are confessing our ages, I'll jump in here too! Wink

@Lily Snape, your observation is a good one: it may be difficult for those who didn't see the original films years apart and didn't "live" through the process of Darth Vader's redemption--without having seen him start out as a man/decent human being in the prequels--to realize just how shocking it was for Luke to try to save him. And then for Vader's redemption to actually happen! It blew our minds.

And maybe that's why it's so difficult for me to wrap my head around the "Ben is so much worse than Vader" arguments out there... scratch
@12 Parsnips

As a  citizen of an ex-commie Eastern European country (and also a proud member of 40+ Skyforum club) I had to wait about six months to see the movies in the theater after the world premiere.
I saw the ESB in November 1980 - and became obsessed immediately by it. At the time I wasn't aware that the New Hope aka Star Wars even existed. Until some boys from my class started to talk about it.

When ROTJ came out in 1983 - I do remember running in the school corridors around those who saw the movie before me - and being super excited when heard that Vader killed the Emperor.
@Darth_Awakened

I remember going into RoTJ completely spoiled because I'd read one of the novelizations, which had come out before I saw the movie.

It's funny--I grew up in SoCal, and we had neighbors who'd driven to Yuma, AZ to watch part of the RotJ shoot, and the only security was a chain-link fence.  They got photos of Carrie Fisher walking around on set (from a distance) in the metal bikini.
@ISeeAnIsland

That's hilarious.  Imagine the fanfare had the TLJ novelization been released BEFORE the movie's release.  Laughing   

Now we are in a situation where the novel isn't getting released til March solely because they didn't want the story to leak before the movie.  Times have changed.

And LOL about Carrie Fisher walking around in her metal bikini for everyone to see.  For the Ireland filming, the most we got was Beer Can Chicken Monster, and a completely fake leak about Kylo Ren coming to Ach-To, that I believe was purposefully by LFL.
@IoJovi
A user of another forum did visit Ireland and witness some of the filming for the Rey vs. Luke fighting after the smut hut. This poster was a huge Luke fan and was severely distraught because she was convinced Rey would kill Luke. Of course, everyone assumed MSW's leak was real and hers was nonsense so it was written off until the movie's release. We figured she had simply misinterpreted a training sequence because she was so scared for her favourite character's future. Laughing
avatar
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4041
Likes : 35009
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Age : 23
Localisation : Canada

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by Birdwoman on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 3:10 pm

I know when the prequels came out, I did not like them. I still don't like them that much but they did grow on me. My 10 year old loves them and so I have learned to appreciate the overall story Lucas was trying to tell. I just wish that someone else wrote the script.

Other night, watching ROTJ, there was a scene were Vader was stalking into a room to come retrieve Luke, who allowed himself to be captured. I don't know what it was about Vader walk but I just started laughing. My husband inquired why I found that funny. I just told him: 'Oh my god, Kylo is such a Vader fanboy.' Just watching Vader, Kylo is so not a Vader. He is like a Cosplaying Vader at Comic con...

Birdwoman
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1039
Likes : 4584
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by snufkin on Wed 31 Jan 2018, 5:35 pm

@Darth_Awakened I was friends with and did a little English as a Second Language tutoring for a fellow university student who had come from Poland to America to study Computer Science and Electrical Engineering. He was obsessed with the OT and used to talk about watching copies his parents had bought off the black market. He managed to get a work visa and stay in the US after graduation because he got hired to work on the CGI for the PT. I’ve forgotten his last name and have wondered if he had anything to do with the special effects for the ST.

Speaking of the OT behind the Iron Curtain, the BBC did a summary of the different posters for the Eastern Bloc countries

The Star Wars Posters of Soviet Europe

Speaking of my old college friend, the Polish poster for ESB
Polish Empire Strikes Back poster by Jakub ErolWould you know this poster was for The Empire Strikes Back, if the actors’ names weren’t listed at the bottom? Looking more like one of Der Spiegel’s Donald Trump-themed cover illustrations, Jakub Erol’s take on Star Wars’s first sequel evokes Constructivism – a graphic style preferred by early Soviet propagandists anyone in the Eastern Bloc would have associated with authoritarianism. Erol was a prolific poster designer in Poland, and he gravitated to simple, stark images that instantly communicate a powerful idea: his poster for the Czech drama Days of Betrayal, about the rise of Nazism and the appeasement efforts of Neville Chamberlain, featured skull-tipped matchsticks arranged to form a swastika. (Credit: Jakub Erol)



avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 7599
Likes : 34482
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-16
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by giaciak2 on Thu 01 Feb 2018, 5:40 am

I am in my forties as well ;-) We are gathered here :-D
avatar
giaciak2
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 304
Likes : 853
Date d'inscription : 2018-01-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by MrsWindu on Thu 01 Feb 2018, 5:44 pm

Another member of the 40's + brigade here. I had been backpacking in India when the Phantom Menace launched and all I wanted to do when we flew into Singapore for the next leg was go to a real cinema to watch it. I think the shock of being able to eat Western food put me in a good mood for the film lol
avatar
MrsWindu
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 712
Likes : 4163
Date d'inscription : 2017-08-03
Localisation : U.K.

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum