Discussion: Podcasts

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Re: Discussion: Podcasts

Post by IoJovi on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 8:27 am

Maybe it's just me, I am pretty sure this trilogy is meant to be looked at through a Reylo lens, given what we got in TLJ.  I stated after TLJ I am not letting anyone guilt trip me into managing my expectations after getting what we got, and that still holds true now.

If Ben dies, the ENTIRE MESSAGE of the ST is that the Skywalkers were wrong to exist in the first place - what a happy and uplifting message it would send that they've finally been eradicated.  Not even going into how dreadfully awful that sounds, let's talk about it from a business perspective.  That message would be a disaster for both Disney and Lucasfilm from a financial standpoint.   Disney did not make that purchase for billions of dollars to let the family's last heir die unredeemed and without love.
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by giaciak2 on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 9:16 am

Wow. I read amazing things in this post.!!!! Claps Claps
I would love to be able to talk and ask with you all . My English is too low and I have to sum up with simple sentences. Help
In my opinion:
1) If Disney buys Star Wars, it's because he saw a money mine. What are you doing to kill the hen from the golden eggs? Kilo Ren = hen with golden eggs. We all love or hate him. Nobody is indifferent. He is not just bad. He is the soul of lost adolescence. But he is also love. This is magnificent.
2) Star War Disney is selling CDs, movies, videogames, puppets, lego, books and comics. I have a small child. He loves Star War. He loves Kylo Ren. He says he is bad but not really bad because he's in love with Rey. When he wants to play with a very villan he takes Dart Vader's figure ... Eh bien I've seen the comics and children's books. Three books, 3 films, to kill Kylo Ren? My son said Rouge One is the ugliest movie ever seen because the characters die. If Kylo Ren or Rey dies, it will be a disgusting film for children. If Kylo Ren -Rey live happily and have children .... Their children can live many adventures. It would be a Disney-style finale. A fairy tale.
3) Kylo Ren -Rey can disappear with force. It would be a nice ending for a Japanese soul. Fortunately, Disney has to build an empire not to destroy it.
4) Kylo Ren dies and Rey gets pregnant with twins. It may be but how sadness ... My son would tell me that disgusting film you brought me to see? Kylo Ren is the favorite character of the males child. Rey is the princess. Think of a 10-year-old girl with flowers on the prince's grave. noo About to C
5) Rey dies after saving Kylo. Ok possible but that disgusting. I repeat if the targhet are the children / teenagers and family. Tell me a dead princess you remeber. The little mermaid in the fairy tale dies. Disney saves her (now I hope saves BenSolo Hey ).
giaciak2
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 9:20 am

@Darth Rowan wrote:The problem with a tragic Shakespearean ending for Ben Solo is that this isn't just an opera in space we're talking about - Star Wars is a fairytale. If the last Skywalker is doomed to "become nothing" or to "unite with the Force to atone for his family's evil", then that renders the family legacy into meaninglessness. Anakin's suffering and redemption, Luke's hopes and dreams, his hobo years and atonement, Leia's suffering, Ben's victimization, his fall to the dark side, suffering and eventual redemption - all for nothing. Say what now, what now?? 

Although it would be fitting in some nihilistic postmodern "nothing means anything and that was the meaning of this the whole time lulz" take on Star Wars, that ending would be the opposite of satisfying. It would actually be pretty damn depressing and disheartening for that to be the case. People are free to have their own opinion, but to me this line of thinking is missing the forest for the trees - context matters. Let's look at the big picture. This isn't Game of Thrones, where a tragic ending is pretty much a given because that's the context, and storylines need to exist within it. Star Wars is the opposite of "You suffer and then you die: that's life." It's for kids.

Please take a look at a quote from George Lucas about his intent when crafting Star Wars and remember what it is all about:

Source: American Film Institute

True, Lucas gave up custody of his legacy, but Disney is THE fairytale-maker and they worship the almighty dollar. Fairytales aside, it makes zero sense to kill off the last member of one of the most lucrative families in the history of film for the sake of making some artsy point about poetic nihilism.

KrazyForKylo wrote:Just to make a wider point - Not all people who see things differently to us here in the Reylo fandom are antis or bitter fanboys who were disappointed by TLJ. Star Wars fans like Bryan Young, and a few other vocal people in the fandom who aren’t big supporters of Kylo/Reylo, actually predicted a lot of TLJ correctly, including Rey not being a Skywalker in any form. Just because some fans are coming at this from a different angle, it doesn’t mean they’re not reading things correctly or don’t see the big picture. Many of them are better versed in Star Wars canon than I am, and Bryan Young has had many of his explanatory TLJ threads endorsed/retweeted by Lucasfilm employees, Rian has even liked a couple of them, I think. You don’t have to agree with every viewpoint but it’s disingenuous to dismiss them just because they’re not looking at things through a Reylo lens.

@KrazyForKylo, this isn't about Reylo. This is about the big picture: Star Wars.
Btw I am guessing this is not what you intend but the irony of your comment is that implying that people here are dismissing anyone who doesn't have Reylo tunnel-vision regardless of how uber-brilliant they are is...dismissing people's point of view. :/
@Darth Rowan

I’m certainly not dismissing the Reylo POV, apologies if it came across that way.

At one point, I only followed fellow Reylo mutuals/blogs/podcasts etc, but I’m always wary of anything that starts to feel like an echo chamber. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, and I have my limits with it, but I do want to hear other POVs from time to time. I went to see Billy Bragg recently, and one of his songs was about the importance of hearing the counterview in arguments, even if it’s something you’re vehemently opposed to, and that’s where I’m coming from. I often fail, especially in political matters, but I try to at least see things from the other side, even if I can’t agree with it. I’ve gone out of my way to do the same in fandom and there are many POVs within the Star Wars galaxy. I don’t want to only hear from people who read the story the same way as me or see it going the way I do.

The Reylo fandom got a lot of stuff right, but so did some of the fans who don’t support Reylo or have a favourable view of Kylo. One guy I follow on Twitter who is vocal in the Star Wars fandom (QuigonSmith) guessed around 80% of TLJ right, including Renperor and much of the main character arcs. He doesn’t ship Reylo or want Kylo to live past the end of Ep IX, but he was open enough to the Rey and Kylo dynamic to get a lot of things right. Same with Bryan Young, he’s been spot on with a lot of stuff, although I don’t share his opinions on Reylo or the ending he sees for Kylo.

I get the defensiveness from some Reylo shippers and the desire to stay within a community where everyone is more or less singing from the same hymn sheet. But it’s not for all Reylo shippers. I’ve seen TLJ 3 times at the cinema and have loved it from start to finish on each occasion. Maybe that would have been the case for me anyway, as I’ve always been a Star Wars fan over and above shipping preferences, but I like to think keeping an open mind to all possibilities (even the ones I hated, like Renperor) let me enjoy TLJ for what it was, instead of getting upset about what it wasn’t. Each to their own and all that, but I’ll personally be taking the same attitude going into Ep IX.

ETA: Disney have already earned back in Box Office receipts what they paid for Lucasfilm so, at least to my mind, it’s entirely possible they might definitively end the Skywalker Saga and move on to new characters/stories. There is nothing stopping them revisiting the PT/OT/ST eras again if they should want to, given the non-linear nature of Star Wars storytelling.

Kylo is my favourite Star Wars character, and I want only good things for him, but I’ve not seen anything yet to personally convince me life after redemption and a happy Reylo ending is possible. I hope that changes, and I’ll certainly be writing Reylo HEA fanfic either way.

Back to top Go down

Post by bashfulblueeyes3 on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 9:30 am

I also followed this Bryan on twitter and listened to his podcast. He has a lot of great insight into the movies, but I was disappointed that he thinks that Kylo is headed for death. I have listened to a lot of different Star Wars podcasts and watched some of the more well known Star Wars YouTube shows. Many of them are very knowledgeable about the movies, books, and comics and they have a great insight into Star Wars. I have come the the conclusion there are two kinds of people who interpret Star Wars. The first is looking through the lens of what is going to make a great plot or the biggest explosion. For example, let Kylo stay evil and be Vader 2.0 or let him be redeemed at the end and die saving everybody. The second group is like many of us, who look through the lens of character analysis based upon literature. JJ Rian and George Lucas wrote Star Wars have all wrote Star Wars movies based upon how we see Star Wars.

bashfulblueeyes3
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 9:40 am

Why do we care about what fans who aren't writing the movies think again? Someone remind me?

I easily predicted 90% of TLJ, but I guess that doesn't mean anything because I'm not a well-known name in any corner. 

I should be careful not to reply [edit], of course. Smile

Last edited by Darth Rowan on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed, take it to PM)
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by nickandnora on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 9:47 am

I’ve seen TLJ 3 times at the cinema and have loved it from start to finish on each occasion. Maybe that would have been the case for me anyway, as I’ve always been a Star Wars fan over and above shipping preferences, but I like to think keeping an open mind to all possibilities (even the ones I hated, like Renperor) let me enjoy TLJ for what it was, instead of getting upset about what it wasn’t. Each to their own and all that, but I’ll personally be taking the same attitude going into Ep IX.
I spent basically very little time thinking about, or predicting what was going to be contained in VIII and had only the most rudimentary thoughts after TFA like: "I hope Rey isn't a secret somebody" and "Rey has... odd... chemistry with Kylo Ren. That must have been... purely accidental..." So I was very, very pleasantly blindsided by The Last Jedi and the possibilities it opened! In many ways, I wish I could go back to predicting nothing, and having expectations about nothing. But truthfully, part of the reason I'm on this board at this juncture is because I think it's wisest for me to get all of my thoughts now, become bored and back away (because it's a long time until the next movie) and hopefully forget whatever I was saying by December 2019 so I can be pleasantly surprised again.

I've done the echo chamber analysis of characters before, for many years actually, with another character/series (with a far more complicated story than the ST, so my currently straightforward thoughts and predictions about Rey/Kylo seem like blessed respite to be honest with you), and I also completely understand the desire to find refuge in people who are like-minded; the fandom I was a part of centered around another character that was, quite possibly even more misunderstood than Kylo, to such a tragic degree that I was having difficulty having discussions that seemed to miss the point so completely. I've since parted ways (or just taken a break) from my fellow fans of said character because, as you said, we seem to have also reached an impasse in the echo-chamber (not much to discuss when you're just waiting for the next thing, and when you've had the same discussion for three years). But I guess I'm just trying to agree: I see why people with similar interests band together, and I also see the benefit in going out into the broader world for opinions as well.

nickandnora
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by whisperingwillow on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 9:52 am

Here is a question asked earlier in the thread: Bryan keeps coming back to the Mortis arc so is he viewing Kylo as the son? Rey as the daughter? How exactly is his view on this?
whisperingwillow
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 9:54 am

Bryan Young seems like a Luke fanboy (nothing wrong with that) and not that concerned about Kylo's character or arc, though he does speculate from time to time. He doesn't seem to love him like most of us here, though. He's just not that concerned so I don't place a lot of weight in his thoughts on my favorite character. Nope

My thing is, Lawrence Kasdan helped in the development of Kylo Ren as a character and Kasdan LOVES Han Solo as well as his son. I can't believe that Lawrence was cool with Ben killing Han if it wasn't going to help save him in some way. Both Han and Luke's deaths are directly related to Kylo, so I don't see the point in making fans sad, just to kill the bad guy, who was heavily victimized in TLJ, too. They even set it up to where Luke dies without Kylo being the one to kill him and add to his list of crimes. I think Kylo's arc was the focus in the development of this trilogy and we are seeing his story unfold through Rey's eyes. Rey has been given very little backstory and no connection to the OT trio. As of right now, she just IS. She's there to balance Kylo morally and in the Force. You generally don't kill off "protagonists" which is what she and Kylo have both been described as. Just as we are so sure that Rey won't die in Episode 9, I'm sure that Ben won't either. Antagonists die, so... death for Hux?
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 9:57 am

I have never listened to Bryan's podcast.  I do follow him on twitter though and have enjoyed his analysis of Luke's and Rey's character arc in the TLJ.  His analysis helped me analyze the film better when I saw it a third time.  Other than that, I haven't paid much attention to his views on Kylo.

Last edited by Birdwoman on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Birdwoman
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by giaciak2 on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 9:57 am

The ending is obviously open. The analogies with pride and prejudice, in my opinion are many. Star wars is not just a movie for feelings. It's obvious. it's a movie with star wars, flying machines and fantastic aliens. But I find it hard to think of Disney + best male character ever + romantic love story that leads to star wars also old women, girls, teenagers and mothers + joung girls who identify with Rey and see in Kylo the prince to be saved + Boys who identify themselves in kylo-Ren waiting for Kylo / Ren to become the hero with his knights of Ren and save the galaxy (and conquer the girl he likes).
Unfortunately, I'm not sure that Kylo Ren will not die at the end. I just think it would be a disappointing ending, both for his genealogy and for the Disney target. I am totally a target disney and I hope for a happy end ...
giaciak2
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by giaciak2 on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 9:59 am

@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:Bryan Young seems like a Luke fanboy (nothing wrong with that) and not that concerned about Kylo's character or arc, though he does speculate from time to time. He doesn't seem to love him like most of us here, though. He's just not that concerned so I don't place a lot of weight in his thoughts on my favorite character. Nope

My thing is, Lawrence Kasdan helped in the development of Kylo Ren as a character and Kasdan LOVES Han Solo as well as his son. I can't believe that Lawrence was cool with Ben killing Han if it wasn't going to help save him in some way. Both Han and Luke's deaths are directly related to Kylo, so I don't see the point in making fans sad, just to kill the bad guy, who was heavily victimized in TLJ, too. They even set it up to where Luke dies without Kylo being the one to kill him and add to his list of crimes. I think Kylo's arc was the focus in the development of this trilogy and we are seeing his story unfold through Rey's eyes. Rey has been given very little backstory and no connection to the OT trio. As of right now, she just IS. She's there to balance Kylo morally and in the Force. You generally don't kill off "protagonists" which is what she and Kylo have both been described as. Just as we are so sure that Rey won't die in Episode 9, I'm sure that Ben won't either. Antagonists die, so... death for Hux?
@Cowgirlsamurai

Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up
giaciak2
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 10:03 am

@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:Why do we care about what fans who aren't writing the movies think again? Someone remind me?

I easily predicted 90% of TLJ, but I guess that doesn't mean anything because I'm not a well-known name in any corner. 

@FrolickingFizzgig

The collective “we” doesn’t have to care about what other fans think, I’m merely explaining why I personally prefer a wide range of opinions.

I read a lot of meta from the Reylo fandom and listen to Reylo orientated podcasts etc, including those generated by members of this community. I agree with much of it and it certainly chimes with what I want to see, but I like to occasionally hear the other side too.

Why is a different POV from a person who still 100% ships Reylo and wants Kylo to live and be redeemed baiting? I’m not the enemy here and I certainly don’t view my fellow Reylo shippers as people to be attacked or baited. It’s certainly not much fun at times if [edit] but don’t we all want the same thing in the end? We might not get it, and I’m personally keeping an open mind to all possibilities, but I’m certainly not saying that’s the way for everyone.

Last edited by Darth Rowan on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed personal remark, take it to PM)

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 10:07 am

Bryan is Full of Sith, right? They used to be big Storm Piloters and they don't believe in Kylo redemption after TLJ. I started to listen to their TLJ reaction podcast but when they started going on about how Kylo's too far gone now (Lol, hello, how's he more gone now than when he offed Han?), I turned it off.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 10:11 am

KrazyForKylo wrote:
@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:Why do we care about what fans who aren't writing the movies think again? Someone remind me?

@FrolickingFizzgig

The collective “we” doesn’t have to care about what other fans think, I’m merely explaining why I personally prefer a wide range of opinions.

I read a lot of meta from the Reylo fandom and listen to Reylo orientated podcasts etc, including those generated by members of this community. I agree with much of it and it certainly chimes with what I want to see, but I like to occasionally hear the other side too.

Why is a different POV from a person who still 100% ships Reylo and wants Kylo to live and be redeemed baiting? I’m not the enemy here and I certainly don’t view my fellow Reylo shippers as people to be attacked or baited. It’s certainly not much fun at times if [edit] but don’t we all want the same thing in the end? We might not get it, and I’m personally keeping an open mind to all possibilities, but I’m certainly not saying that’s the way for everyone.
@KrazyForKylo

I'm the one who brought up Bryan Young's podcast, so I guess FrolickingFizzgig's question is aimed at me Razz

I just like a lot of what Bryan Young has to say about Luke in The Last Jedi, and I thought he was also a Kylo sympathizer, but when I listened to his podcast, I was very taken aback at his take. How can someone who I agree so much with on other aspects of The Last Jedi, come to a completely different conclusion on the guy I consider to be the main character? That's why I brought up the topic. I don't see any problem discussing it. It might not be the convo for everyone.

@vaderito Exactly Wink
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by whisperingwillow on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 10:12 am

@vaderito wrote:Bryan is Full of Sith, right? They used to be big Storm Piloters and they don't believe in Kylo redemption after TLJ. I started to listen to their TLJ reaction podcast but when they started going on about how Kylo's too far gone now (Lol, hello, how's he more gone now than when he offed Han?), I turned it off.
@vaderito

How anyone can think Kylo is too far gone after TLJ is beyond me. He was far worse in TFA. Yeah he is supreme leader now but his actual crimes in TLJ were idk I guess killing Snoke. Kylo is far more redeemable now than he was after TFA.
whisperingwillow
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 10:15 am

@KrazyForKylo
Great, you do you. I'll do me. But remember that we have a thread for airing out or discussing "anti"/opposing perspectives in another subsection of the forum. [edit] choose to avoid less active threads like the [edit] or the Fan Fatigue thread. It's important to post certain things in the proper places, editt

Want me to respect your right to read and share opposing viewpoints? How about [edit] respect for those who no longer care to do so.

Last edited by SheLitAFire on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 10:48 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : removed personal observation, take it to PM)
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by giaciak2 on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 10:20 am

Guys, It's just a movie. We all have to say our opinion. But it must be a fantastic film if we're all here talking about it. I love it !
giaciak2
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 10:24 am

@FrolickingFizzgig wrote:@KrazyForKylo
Great, you do you. I'll do me. But remember that we have a thread for airing out or discussing "anti"/opposing perspectives in another subsection of the forum. [edit] choose to avoid less active threads like the Holocron Vault or the Fan Fatigue thread. It's important to post certain things in the proper places, editt

Want me to respect your right to read and share opposing viewpoints? How about [edit] respect for those who no longer care to do so.
@FrolickingFizzgig

I don’t even post here much anymore in any thread so I’m sorry my comments are [edit].

I was originally contributing to the discussion about Bryan Young’s podcast, hence why my posts are here and not in those other threads. I also replied to comments generated by the original discussion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 10:26 am

@FrolickingFizzgig

I don't consider Bryan Young an "anti," thought maybe I don't understand the meaning of that word fully. I don't think he's against Reylo or Rendemption, he just doesn't see it happening and I was surprised. Sorry if I should have posted my thoughts in another thread. A mod can move the convo if necessary.
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 10:28 am

@giaciak2 wrote:Guys, It's just a movie. We all have to say our opinion. But it must be a fantastic film if we're all here talking about it. I love it !
@giaciak2

yep! I love you
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 10:32 am

@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:

I don't consider Bryan Young an "anti," thought maybe I don't understand the meaning of that word fully. I don't think he's against Reylo or Rendemption, he just doesn't see it happening and I was surprised. Sorry if I should have posted my thoughts in another thread. A mod can move the convo if necessary.
@Cowgirlsamurai
I said anti/opposing. To be honest I'm not one who is terribly upset by the prospect of Kylo dying (a hero, duh) but it seemed to annoy others so I suggested that this would perhaps be better in the Anti Airtime thread.

Last edited by FrolickingFizzgig on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 10:34 am

@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:

@Cowgirlsamurai

I don’t consider Bryan Young an anti, either. He does at least recognise some connection between Rey and Kylo, even if he considers it one-sided on Kylo’s part and thinks he has to sacrifice himself for her, the galaxy, and the force. He’s not hostile towards Reylo shippers like some other vocal members of the Star Wars fandom.

For example, Jason Fry is a fan of his podcasts and, judging by his tweets, he certainly seems to see things from a similar POV. It will be interesting to read his take on it all in TLJ novelisation.

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 10:36 am

KrazyForKylo wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai

I don’t consider Bryan Young an anti, either. He does at least recognise some connection between Rey and Kylo, even if he considers it one-sided on Kylo’s part and thinks he has to sacrifice himself for her, the galaxy, and the force. He’s not hostile towards Reylo shippers like some other vocal members of the Star Wars fandom.

For example, Jason Fry is a fan of his podcasts and, judging by his tweets, he certainly seems to see things from a similar POV. It will be interesting to read his take on it all in TLJ novelisation.
@KrazyForKylo
[edit]

Last edited by Darth Rowan on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Take it to PM or ask the staff to step in)
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 10:41 am

@IoJovi wrote:Maybe it's just me, I am pretty sure this trilogy is meant to be looked at through a Reylo lens, given what we got in TLJ.  I stated after TLJ I am not letting anyone guilt trip me into managing my expectations after getting what we got, and that still holds true now.

If Ben dies, the ENTIRE MESSAGE of the ST is that the Skywalkers were wrong to exist in the first place - what a happy and uplifting message it would send that they've finally been eradicated.  Not even going into how dreadfully awful that sounds, let's talk about it from a business perspective.  That message would be a disaster for both Disney and Lucasfilm from a financial standpoint.   Disney did not make that purchase for billions of dollars to let the family's last heir die unredeemed and without love.
@IoJovi

It's not just you, I find the whole line of argument to be a prime example of bothsideism. Remind me again when fanboys have seriously and earnestly ever discussed this topic without resorting to dismissive comments about shipping and fan fiction? When there are many of us who are not interested in fandom, shipping, or fan fiction? It's also a prime example of the  unexamined sexism within SW fandom. Because how f**king often do women have to feel like they're "on the defensive" for having an opinion and provide a goddamn PhD dissertation to support their argument. Meanwhile any dude who came up within reading the EU novels and being a RPG player can get treated like an expert. Pro-tip - this isn't just about Star Wars, this is about literally any type of topic where any male voice gets treated as a goddamn expert who needs to be listened to and privileged versus female voices having to justify, speak from a position of defensiveness, and "manage their expectations" about being listened to. The most ironic part about this is that the filmmakers are trying to hit the audience over the head with lines like "Women always figure out the truth" and "The girl, Rey, she already has everything that she needs." And you don't think that Luke's whole "THE SACRED TEXTS!!!" freakout isn't some type of comment on that type of predominantly male fan mindset that the filmmakers are trying to say, hey maybe it's time to look beyond that.

Also addendum, I'm not really on Twitter for Star Wars but I do get various threads pushed to me by that platform. And sure, 80% is a good mark. But I seem to recall that somebody being rather condescending in response to a thoughtful, brilliant, and all around lovely member of this forum discussing the amount of sheer vitriol and abuse she's been on the receiving end for simply wanting to discuss what she saw as the arc for these characters and narrative. As in dismissing it as mere shipping, which at this point is a dog whistle (along with fan fiction) for being not the "right" type of fan and especially not the "right" type of female fan. I get pretty irritated with the silliness which sometimes gets dragged over here from the worst of the Tumblr freak outs. But there's some serious snideness and "I'm above all of that" in those type of comments and atttitudes. Which again, get mixed up in some pretty low-key sexism for not being the "right" type of female fan.

Last edited by snufkin on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 23 Jan 2018, 10:45 am

Also yes, it's good to get multiple perspective but good Lord is the mainstream SW fandom itself a prime example of a hive mind and Echo Chamber in and of itself.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum