The Last Jedi: Box Office and Awards Discussion

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: Box Office and Awards Discussion

Post by tukicarreno on Sat 20 Jan - 0:02

@SheLitAFire wrote:I'm really excited to see what the movie Adam does with Sylvester Stallone (Tough as They Come? Tough as Nails?) does for Adam's career. Playing a wounded veteran. I can see that bringing him more Oscar/Golden Globe rec just judging by the synopsis.

ETA: although I just went to check out the title on imdb and it's not listed as one of his future projects anymore...... Question
It's still on imdb...but Adam isn't listed as the son in the cast. Damn. I wonder if it was scheduling conflict since episode IX was delayed.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6389432/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1
@SheLitAFire

Yeah, that is weird he is not listed in the cast anymore. Adam will be doing Annette with Michelle Williams and I am dying to see him in that role in a musical.

As for the Empire Awards, no offense to John, but they are obviously biased because he is a British actor and this is a British magazine. Still, is not a very important award. I am pretty sure Adam will get recognized for his role in TLJ in other events. He should be! I am also praying he gets nominated for an Oscar and Golden Globe soon. With his talent, it is happening sooner or later!
avatar
tukicarreno
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 425
Likes : 2042
Date d'inscription : 2017-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: Box Office and Awards Discussion

Post by tukicarreno on Sat 20 Jan - 0:03

@MrsWindu wrote:Oh gosh I never meant Empire awards were prestigious - I just grew up with the magazine and its awards in a geeky way. I agree they are very biased towards British fim makers and actors. I hope when the Oscar nominations are announced on Tuesday we will have Mark and Adam listed for their TLJ performances Smile
@MrsWindu

Do you think they still have chance even if they didn't get nominated for the Golden Globes?
avatar
tukicarreno
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 425
Likes : 2042
Date d'inscription : 2017-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: Box Office and Awards Discussion

Post by SheLitAFire on Sat 20 Jan - 0:27

@tukicarreno wrote:
@MrsWindu wrote:Oh gosh I never meant Empire awards were prestigious - I just grew up with the magazine and its awards in a geeky way. I agree they are very biased towards British fim makers and actors. I hope when the Oscar nominations are announced on Tuesday we will have Mark and Adam listed for their TLJ performances Smile
@MrsWindu

Do you think they still have chance even if they didn't get nominated for the Golden Globes?
@tukicarreno

Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I just have a feeling TLJ won't get nominated for anything other than production type awards. I just feel like the Academy isn't into nominating big blockbuster, action, sci-fi, or fantasy when it comes to acting, directing, best movie awards (as much)...they just don't seem to be taken as seriously
avatar
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1885
Likes : 7114
Date d'inscription : 2016-09-15
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: Box Office and Awards Discussion

Post by cirelle on Sat 20 Jan - 0:35

TLJ missed the Golden Globes deadline, which is why they didn't get any nominations. Realistically, TLJ might get technical or costuming nominations. Acting noms are very competitive, and I would say any one in the Best Actor/Actress category is definitely out. Even the Supporting category can get crowded with the film makers trying to bump down their "main" actors/actresses to get a better chance for the win. As much as I disagree, Oscar bait films are more likely to get the acting noms than anyone in TLJ.

cirelle
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 5
Likes : 34
Date d'inscription : 2017-12-12

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: Box Office and Awards Discussion

Post by MrsWindu on Sat 20 Jan - 0:38

@SheLitAFire wrote:
@tukicarreno wrote:
@MrsWindu wrote:Oh gosh I never meant Empire awards were prestigious - I just grew up with the magazine and its awards in a geeky way. I agree they are very biased towards British fim makers and actors. I hope when the Oscar nominations are announced on Tuesday we will have Mark and Adam listed for their TLJ performances Smile
@MrsWindu

Do you think they still have chance even if they didn't get nominated for the Golden Globes?
@tukicarreno

Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I just have a feeling TLJ won't get nominated for anything other than production type awards. I just feel like the Academy isn't into nominating big blockbuster, action, sci-fi, or fantasy when it comes to acting, directing, best movie awards (as much)...they just don't seem to be taken as seriously
@SheLitAFire

Didn’t Alec Guiness receive a nomination back in the day for Obi Wan? And Return of the King won a whole load of awards so who knows - I’m keeping my fingers crossed
avatar
MrsWindu
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 731
Likes : 4276
Date d'inscription : 2017-08-03
Localisation : U.K.

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: Box Office and Awards Discussion

Post by SheLitAFire on Sat 20 Jan - 0:41

@MrsWindu wrote:
@SheLitAFire wrote:
@tukicarreno wrote:
@MrsWindu wrote:Oh gosh I never meant Empire awards were prestigious - I just grew up with the magazine and its awards in a geeky way. I agree they are very biased towards British fim makers and actors. I hope when the Oscar nominations are announced on Tuesday we will have Mark and Adam listed for their TLJ performances Smile
@MrsWindu

Do you think they still have chance even if they didn't get nominated for the Golden Globes?
@tukicarreno

Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I just have a feeling TLJ won't get nominated for anything other than production type awards. I just feel like the Academy isn't into nominating big blockbuster, action, sci-fi, or fantasy when it comes to acting, directing, best movie awards (as much)...they just don't seem to be taken as seriously
@SheLitAFire

Didn’t Alec Guiness receive a nomination back in the day for Obi Wan? And Return of the King won a whole load of awards so who knows - I’m keeping my fingers crossed
@MrsWindu

He did, although I just always interpreted that as being a nod to Alec Guiness because of who he was in general. I could definitely be wrong. I think Mark and Adam deserve noms. I think Rian, the cinematographer, sound board, and movie producers do as well. I'm just a skeptic in general lol
avatar
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1885
Likes : 7114
Date d'inscription : 2016-09-15
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: Box Office and Awards Discussion

Post by Gemlake on Mon 22 Jan - 15:32

Visual effects seems to be a lock.  Possibly other nominations for sound, production design, cinematography.  Adam deserves a nomination, but likely won't receive one.

Gemlake
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 92
Likes : 524
Date d'inscription : 2017-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: Box Office and Awards Discussion

Post by SheLitAFire on Mon 22 Jan - 16:02

Oscar noms are announced tomorrow, yes?
avatar
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1885
Likes : 7114
Date d'inscription : 2016-09-15
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: Box Office and Awards Discussion

Post by Gemlake on Mon 22 Jan - 16:28

@SheLitAFire wrote:Oscar noms are announced tomorrow, yes?
@SheLitAFire

Yes, tomorrow morning.

Gemlake
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 92
Likes : 524
Date d'inscription : 2017-12-04

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: Box Office and Awards Discussion

Post by motherofpearl1 on Mon 22 Jan - 17:19

Okay...I have been a huge fan of Gary Oldman for years. I’ve always thought of him as one of the most underrated actors of his generation. I’m thrilled he might be nominated as Best Actor for playing Churchill. But....someone once said, you have to play a real person these days in order to get nominated! Off topic but.....eyesofmist has this wonderful gif http://reyloeyesofmist.tumblr.com/ I can’t help but notice how bad the scar from the bowcaster is!!! Shocked
avatar
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2514
Likes : 10607
Date d'inscription : 2016-07-09

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: Box Office and Awards Discussion

Post by thescavenger on Tue 23 Jan - 14:35

Oscar Nominations (so far)

- Sound Mixing: David Parker, Michael Semanick, Ren Klyce and Stuart Wilson


- Sound Editing: Matthew Wood and Ren Klyce


- Original Score: John Williams


- Visual Effects: Ben Morris, Mike Mulholland, Neal Scanlan and Chris Corbould


Last edited by thescavenger on Tue 23 Jan - 14:54; edited 2 times in total
avatar
thescavenger
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 216
Likes : 1259
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: Box Office and Awards Discussion

Post by EchoBase on Tue 23 Jan - 14:38

@thescavenger wrote:Oscar Nominations (so far)

- Sound Mixing
- Sound Editing
- Original Score
- Visual Effects
@thescavenger

Wow, not bad for a sequel. TFA only had two.

Edit: my mistake, RO had two, TFA had five.


Last edited by EchoBase on Tue 23 Jan - 14:53; edited 1 time in total
avatar
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2752
Likes : 12233
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-01

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: Box Office and Awards Discussion

Post by thescavenger on Tue 23 Jan - 14:38

@EchoBase

Sorry the nominations aren't complete yet, they're still announcing! FYI

EDIT: No more. Wahh.


Last edited by thescavenger on Tue 23 Jan - 14:52; edited 1 time in total
avatar
thescavenger
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 216
Likes : 1259
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: Box Office and Awards Discussion

Post by EchoBase on Tue 23 Jan - 14:41

@thescavenger wrote:@EchoBase

Sorry the nominations aren't complete yet, they're still announcing! FYI
@thescavenger

I know. Bu so far it’s looks good Smile.
avatar
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2752
Likes : 12233
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-01

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: Box Office and Awards Discussion

Post by Maria Antonietta on Tue 23 Jan - 14:42

GIVE ADAM ALL THE OSCARS®️
avatar
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2760
Likes : 12255
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26
Age : 32
Localisation : Italia

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: Box Office and Awards Discussion

Post by thescavenger on Tue 23 Jan - 14:43

@EchoBase wrote:
@thescavenger wrote:@EchoBase

Sorry the nominations aren't complete yet, they're still announcing! FYI
@thescavenger

I know. Bu so far it’s looks good Smile.
@EchoBase

Yep! I'm rooting for John Williams so hard, since he didn't win for TFA

Also, if anyone is watching the live announcement, Andy Serkis grins everytime he announces Star Wars. Such a cutie.
avatar
thescavenger
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 216
Likes : 1259
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: Box Office and Awards Discussion

Post by SheLitAFire on Tue 23 Jan - 16:12

Wow, i can't believe it didn't get Best Production team or Best Film Editing Shocked I also think it deserved a Best Cinematography nom
avatar
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1885
Likes : 7114
Date d'inscription : 2016-09-15
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: Box Office and Awards Discussion

Post by thescavenger on Tue 23 Jan - 16:41

@SheLitAFire

Completely agree with those three you mentioned. I'm still surprised.
avatar
thescavenger
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 216
Likes : 1259
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: Box Office and Awards Discussion

Post by rawpowah on Tue 23 Jan - 16:44

I thought the editing in TLJ was a bit messy, so I'm not surprised they didn't get the nomination. TFA was much better edited.

The production design, however, was gorgeous. The cinematography was great too (better than TFA), but that category is packed. I don't know who I'd kick out to make room for TLJ tbh.
avatar
rawpowah
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 725
Likes : 3779
Date d'inscription : 2017-11-18

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: Box Office and Awards Discussion

Post by Tex on Tue 23 Jan - 17:03

Man they should have nominated the film for best picture or Adam for supporting actor, even if they wouldn't have won. I think from a ratings standpoint it would have been some great buzz. As is they have a hard enough time getting people to tune in for these award shows. I think nominating something as mainstream as a Star Wars film in one of the big categories would have been great.

I would have knocked off The Post from the Best Film category. It's really riding on the fact the Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks are in the movie. And I would have put Adam up in the place of Richard Jenkins for The Shape of Water. I enjoyed that film thoroughly, but Adam does so much more in his role as Kylo. Again, I know it's a seniority thing, but the character of Kylo Ren/Ben has so much more meat and range. Maybe if Adam is lucky he'll get nominated for Episode IX?


Last edited by Tex on Tue 23 Jan - 17:24; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 583
Likes : 3552
Date d'inscription : 2017-05-08
Age : 27
Localisation : Houston, TX

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: Box Office and Awards Discussion

Post by SheLitAFire on Tue 23 Jan - 17:14

I agree with knocking off The Post. I think that The Florida Project deserved a Best Film nod.
But it's like what @motherofpearl1 said above
But....someone once said, you have to play a real person these days in order to get nominated!
It's pretty true now days for the awards cycle.
avatar
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1885
Likes : 7114
Date d'inscription : 2016-09-15
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: Box Office and Awards Discussion

Post by Tex on Tue 23 Jan - 17:24

@SheLitAFire wrote:I agree with knocking off The Post. I think that The Florida Project deserved a Best Film nod.
But it's like what @motherofpearl1 said above
But....someone once said, you have to play a real person these days in order to get nominated!
It's pretty true now days for the awards cycle.
@SheLitAFire

Honestly, it's true. I'm at a point where I can appreciate the films and actors that are nominated, but it's become a celebration of patting each other on the back. In that whoever campaigns the hardest and scratches the right backs will win. I'm shocked that Scott Frank, James Mangold and Michael Green got nominated for best adapted screenplay for Logan. I'm very happy for them. That was a really great screenplay adapted from a tough source material. I would know, I tried adapting the same material into a TV miniseries for a college final lol.
avatar
Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 583
Likes : 3552
Date d'inscription : 2017-05-08
Age : 27
Localisation : Houston, TX

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: Box Office and Awards Discussion

Post by motherofpearl1 on Tue 23 Jan - 17:34

@tukicarreno wrote:
@SheLitAFire wrote:I'm really excited to see what the movie Adam does with Sylvester Stallone (Tough as They Come? Tough as Nails?) does for Adam's career. Playing a wounded veteran. I can see that bringing him more Oscar/Golden Globe rec just judging by the synopsis.

ETA: although I just went to check out the title on imdb and it's not listed as one of his future projects anymore...... Question
It's still on imdb...but Adam isn't listed as the son in the cast. Damn. I wonder if it was scheduling conflict since episode IX was delayed.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6389432/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1
@SheLitAFire

Yeah, that is weird he is not listed in the cast anymore. Adam will be doing Annette with Michelle Williams and I am dying to see him in that role in a musical.

As for the Empire Awards, no offense to John, but they are obviously biased because he is a British actor and this is a British magazine. Still, is not a very important award. I am pretty sure Adam will get recognized for his role in TLJ in other events. He should be! I am also praying he gets nominated for an Oscar and Golden Globe soon. With his talent, it is happening sooner or later!
@tukicarreno

I agree with you - John is great in TLJ. But his breakout part was in TFA, as was Daisy’s. TLJ belonged to Adam and Mark, and also to Kelly. All three made the film, in my opinion.
avatar
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2514
Likes : 10607
Date d'inscription : 2016-07-09

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: Box Office and Awards Discussion

Post by rawpowah on Tue 23 Jan - 17:34

From what I remember Episode IX is set to premiere on December 20th 2019. That is way too late in the awards season, as most of the award shows will have already announced their nominations. TLJ premiered way too late (iirc after nominations for the Critics Choice and the Golden Globes were announced). It's very difficult and very rare to get nominated for an acting Oscar without having been nominated for any of the precursor awards, particularly the Golden Globes and the SAGs. Not even Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart got a nomination for Logan, and they've been playing those roles for some time and the movie premiered much earlier in the year than SW. "The Dark Knight", for which Heath Ledger won his posthumous Oscar, premiered in the summer. Another blockbuster, the LOTR trilogy, only managed one acting nomination for the first movie, in spite of all their accolades (and that was for Ian McKellen, a senior actor).

On top of that, Disney would have to mount a campaign for Adam, which they haven't done at all (and I doubt will do for IX, since it's premiering so late). Disney seems to care more about the nominations in the technical categories than the acting ones. If anything, what SW will do for Adam is put him in a position where he will be offered interesting roles in other movies that have more of a shot at resonating with the Academy.


Last edited by rawpowah on Tue 23 Jan - 17:51; edited 2 times in total
avatar
rawpowah
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 725
Likes : 3779
Date d'inscription : 2017-11-18

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: Box Office and Awards Discussion

Post by thescavenger on Tue 23 Jan - 17:38

@Tex wrote:Man they should have nominated the film for best picture or Adam for supporting actor, even if they wouldn't have won. I think from a ratings standpoint it would have been some great buzz. As is they have a hard enough time getting people to tune in for these award shows. I think nominating something as mainstream as a Star Wars film in one of the big categories would have been great.

I would have knocked off The Post from the Best Film category. It's really riding on the fact the Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks are in the movie. And I would have put Adam up in the place of Richard Jenkins for The Shape of Water. I enjoyed that film thoroughly, but Adam does so much more in his role as Kylo. Again, I know it's a seniority thing, but the character of Kylo Ren/Ben has so much more meat and range. Maybe if Adam is lucky he'll get nominated for Episode IX?
@Tex 

Personally, I have no doubt that Adam Driver will win an Oscar one day, even if it isn't for Star Wars.
avatar
thescavenger
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 216
Likes : 1259
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum