The Last Jedi: Our Reviews and Reactions

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Last Jedi: Our Reviews and Reactions - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Jedi: Our Reviews and Reactions

Post by Darth_Awakened on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 3:20 am

@Maria Antonietta wrote:POE IS GAY ASF. ARE WE REALLY WASTING OUR TIME ON THAT SCENE?
@Maria Antonietta

We'all need your hammer today!

To add: the crucial thing for Rey when it comes to her business with other men than Kylo is later on. When Finn "metaphorically" leaves her and goes to Rose's bedside. And Rey stays alone on that bench - looking at Finn caring about Rose. Then she's immediately accompanied by Leia and they both accept Luke's gone. But, hope for the Galaxy and Ben Solo is not gone because "Nobody's ever gone".

Btw, which lightsaber Rey has in the end? Was it the GREEN next to her? lol
Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The Last Jedi: Our Reviews and Reactions - Page 6 Empty Re: The Last Jedi: Our Reviews and Reactions

Post by unicorn on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 3:49 am

I Think I found my problem with he movie: I expected often much more "depth" and a more fitting development. Therefore my lack in emotional investment. --> no real chills, excecpt for the scene with the fahtiers. it doesn´t "fit" for me too often:. for example at the beginning the scene with the lightsaber. luke has a grave expression, and then the next second he tosses it over his shoulder with a shrug like a rotten banana and goes away. its a scene out of a cheap slapstick movie and it destroyss the moment for me. reylo goes suddenly from "you are a monster - yes I AM a monster" full steam to hand touching an half naked kylo. what the heck. from a 2,5 hour movie I expected more coherence and explanation in the scenes/between the scenens

please don´t mind typos, my PC is mad. Razz
unicorn
unicorn
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 4:03 am

@Maria Antonietta wrote:
@cherrylipstick wrote:I think that those who don't like Kylo, and Rey and Kylo together would jump on any ship in order to sabotage Reylo. Even if it was crystal clear in the movie

@Maria Antonietta wrote:POE IS GAY ASF. ARE WE REALLY WASTING OUR TIME ON THAT SCENE?
@Maria Antonietta

ROFL ROFL  well said!
@cherrylipstick

Thanks
@Maria Antonietta

Poe isn't gay....Oscar Isaac debunked it in the TLJ promotions interview....Jessika Pava is Poe's potential love interest....Rey doesn't even come into the picture...it was a tiny bit of fan service just like the Kylo-Hux, Finn-Poe and Finn-Rey interactions. I don't get the insecurity. Damerey has as much a chance of happening as kylux.

Last edited by panki on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 4:06 am; edited 1 time in total

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 4:05 am

Ok, after a few hours of sleep and a conversation with my husband (I’m so proud of him, he saw the Padmé parallels).
I see things clearer now.

Actually it’s very simple.

So Rey is not related.
Probably, Kylo Ren will be the main villain of episode IX.
And Rey as the heroine must be the one who will fight against him.

So, they need a conflict right? But what is the conflict if they are not rivalling cousins/siblings???
Exactly.

And the scene with her and Poe. If they really plan anything in that direction, it will be used as a decoy. And I would love to see a jealous Kylo Wink.
EchoBase
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria Antonietta on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 4:07 am

@panki wrote:
@Maria Antonietta wrote:
@cherrylipstick wrote:I think that those who don't like Kylo, and Rey and Kylo together would jump on any ship in order to sabotage Reylo. Even if it was crystal clear in the movie

@Maria Antonietta

ROFL ROFL  well said!
@cherrylipstick

Thanks
@Maria Antonietta

Poe isn't gay....Oscar Isaac debunked it in the TLJ promotions interview....Jessika Pava is Poe's potential love interest....Rey doesn't even come into the picture...it was a tiny bit of fan service just like the Kylo-Hux, Finn-Poe and Finn-Rey interactions. I don't get the insecurity. Damerey has as much a chance of happening as kylux.
@panki

It's called sarcasm, don't take me too seriously lol!
Maria Antonietta
Maria Antonietta
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by SkyStar on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 4:15 am

@Darth Dingbat wrote:I wonder if it might be a good idea to start a "complaints" thread about the film? Perhaps in Maz's Castle? Because I think there will probably be a small handful of others who are negative about the film, and I wouldn't want us to rain on everybody else's parade.

I still feel like I need some kind of a "grieving period", though it would probably be healthier to force myself to move on immediately.
@Darth Dingbat

Great idea, I set up a thread! Smile

Last edited by SkyStar on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
SkyStar
SkyStar
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 4:36 am

@unicorn wrote:I Think I found my problem with he movie: I expected often much more "depth" and a more fitting development. Therefore my lack in emotional investment. --> no real chills, excecpt for the scene with the fahtiers. it doesn´t "fit" for me too often:. for example at the beginning the scene with the lightsaber. luke has a grave expression, and then the next second he tosses it over his shoulder with a shrug like a rotten banana and goes away. its a scene out of a cheap slapstick movie and it destroyss the moment for me. reylo goes suddenly from "you are a monster - yes I AM a monster" full steam to hand touching an half naked kylo. what the heck. from a 2,5 hour movie I expected more coherence and explanation in the scenes/between the scenens

@unicorn

@unicorn wrote:I Think I found my problem with he movie: I expected often much more "depth" and a more fitting development. Therefore my lack in emotional investment. --> no real chills, excecpt for the scene with the fahtiers. it doesn´t "fit" for me too often:. for example at the beginning the scene with the lightsaber. luke has a grave expression, and then the next second he tosses it over his shoulder with a shrug like a rotten banana and goes away. its a scene out of a cheap slapstick movie and it destroyss the moment for me. reylo goes suddenly from "you are a monster - yes I AM a monster" full steam to hand touching an half naked kylo. what the heck. from a 2,5 hour movie I expected more coherence and explanation in the scenes/between the scenens

@unicorn

Yep, that's my main problem as well.
Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 4:40 am

@RosiePancake wrote:
@EchoBase wrote:Ok, after a few hours of sleep and a conversation with my husband (I’m so proud of him, he saw the Padmé parallels).

So Rey is not related.

So, they need a conflict right? But what is the conflict if they are not rivalling cousins/siblings???
Exactly.

And the scene with her and Poe. If they really plan anything in that direction, it will be used as a decoy. And I would love to see a jealous Kylo Wink.
@EchoBase

The bold part Evil  now i just  realize that i need "jealous Kylo" scenes so bad, lol, Kylo and Rey are obviously Anakin and Padme of sequels, and i remember that some PT fans said Anakin did get jealous when he thought Padme cheated on him with Obiwan IYF
@RosiePancake

Think the same. I mean, Rey is already supposed to have met Poe at that point. And yet, they wanted to emphasize that she meets and kinda blushes. I don't mean that Damerey is endgame but I guess that it could play some part.

You know, I can completely imagine a scenario where the supposed villain actually goes grey to fight for the best whereas someone supposedly fighting for the best could turn kinda extremist by wanting too much to erase any person he considers as his ennemy. Completely speculation at that point but why not? If we follow some BATB scheme, who could be the Gaston of that story? And if we follow some P&P scheme, who could be Mr. Wickam?
reylo1992
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 4:50 am

@reylo1992 wrote:
@RosiePancake wrote:
@EchoBase wrote:Ok, after a few hours of sleep and a conversation with my husband (I’m so proud of him, he saw the Padmé parallels).

So Rey is not related.

Exactly.

@EchoBase

The bold part Evil  now i just  realize that i need "jealous Kylo" scenes so bad, lol, Kylo and Rey are obviously Anakin and Padme of sequels, and i remember that some PT fans said Anakin did get jealous when he thought Padme cheated on him with Obiwan IYF
@RosiePancake

Think the same. I mean, Rey is already supposed to have met Poe at that point. And yet, they wanted to emphasize that she meets and kinda blushes. I don't mean that Damerey is endgame but I guess that it could play some part.

You know, I can completely imagine a scenario where the supposed villain actually goes grey to fight for the best whereas someone supposedly fighting for the best could turn kinda extremist by wanting too much to erase any person he considers as his ennemy. Completely speculation at that point but why not? If we follow some BATB scheme, who could be the Gaston of that story? And if we follow some P&P scheme, who could be Mr. Wickam?
@reylo1992

Poe is totally Wickham. Minud the swindling part. He's dashing and can charm girls off their feet.
Rei of Sunshine
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Ynqve on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 5:09 am

@Rei of Sunshine wrote:
@reylo1992 wrote:
@RosiePancake wrote:

So Rey is not related.

Exactly.

@EchoBase

@RosiePancake

@reylo1992

Poe is totally Wickham. Minud the swindling part. He's dashing and can charm girls off their feet.
@Rei of Sunshine

And Luke is lady Catherine de Bourgh. "REY, DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH MY NAUGHTY NEPHEW"
Ynqve
Ynqve
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 5:11 am

@Ynqve wrote:
@Rei of Sunshine wrote:
@reylo1992 wrote:
@RosiePancake wrote:

So Rey is not related.

Exactly.

@EchoBase

@RosiePancake

@reylo1992

@Rei of Sunshine

And Luke is lady Catherine de Bourgh. "REY, DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH MY NAUGHTY NEPHEW"
@Ynqve

The way he showed up like affraid and cockblocked just killed me Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
reylo1992
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Ynqve on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 5:19 am

@reylo1992 wrote:
@Ynqve wrote:
@Rei of Sunshine wrote:
@reylo1992 wrote:
@RosiePancake wrote:

So Rey is not related.

Exactly.

@EchoBase

@RosiePancake

@reylo1992

@Rei of Sunshine

@Ynqve

The way he showed up like affraid  and cockblocked just killed me Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
@reylo1992

Such a reasonable response to a completely non-sexual encounter between two people who would never ever be romantically interested in each other. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Ynqve
Ynqve
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by AhsokaTano on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 5:24 am

Hi all! I haven’t watched it yet but seeing it tonight (opens in UK today - am
Newbie here though have been shipping reylo since 2015)from what you guys say it’s a mixed bag ( good and bad). Am trying to go in without expectations- don’t hate me for this but I quite like whole Renemperor scenario as kylo has achieved what no skywalker up till now has - maybe now with the line of the chosen ones in power things might seriously change for the galaxy ( as they haven’t really before )but I only think he can do that with rey at his side . I always envisioned rey and kylo leaders ( like revan and bastila and Aragorn in lord of the rings ).Am trying to stay calm though because finding out a few days ago about Luke had me in mourning and sobbing in tears ( my husband thought I was mad ) because I loved Luke -god knows what i’ll Be like when I see the film ( am taking box of tissues with me).
Let’s all Stay positive though and remember this is second part of a trilogy and also that the books and comics will fill in some of the other bits( Disney has to keep the hype going ) -personally am hoping for Luke and Ben novel to fill in the past . I really think more than ever that Star Wars is meant to be understood as a whole franchise including the books and comics ( just like Harry Potter and lord of rings had books )and I cannot wait to see what we get in terms of novels etc in the next two years . My only concern is for the general audience and whether they will understand everything because they are using the novels , comics and Rebels to fill in all the background . In one of the recent interviews ( forget which one ) Rian or Daisy said what you need to know now is being played out on the screen ( which suggests a lot more is coming but that it will probably unravel itself through the books etc ).

That scene at the end you mention with rey and Poe in TLJ- hmmm that makes me worry a bit - I wonder if there’s any possibility that it’s Poe who says I’ll come back for you sweetheart( from the novelisation )In
the future as we’ve heard Poe use that term in force awakens and he’s set up as the contrast
To kylo - I hope not - I really hope reylo is end game and not Poe rey - for the sake of the galaxy as only rey can tame kylo’s darkness and only together can they find a path to bring balance.
If they are going down the phantom route then it’s possible that rey and Poe will be together in the future like Christine and Raoul but that rey loves kylo , maybe even has a child that is kylos ( just like the story of phantom )as there’s been hints about kylo having a daughter in the comics and battlefront ( in the future ).Other option is that reylo is over , they are enemies now , Kylo marries someone else and has his skywalker heir and it carries on the same with light and dark fighting and war in the galaxy . To me this would make no sense as it’s the same battles repeating themselves over and over - the only thing that makes sense is reylo to change the galaxy for good.
AhsokaTano
AhsokaTano
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Rimfaxe96 on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 5:42 am

Wanted to be among the first to give my review but alas, we didn't make it back home until 4 AM from the movies (TFA + TLJ double viewing) and I figured that tumblr would be on fire with the details anyway.

Personally I loved the movie, but just like back in 2015 when I went to see TFA I didn't expect to see depth, only entertainment. Many probably wanted more so I can fully understand that this movie will be hated by many (and already is, at 3 AM the German Star Wars Facebook page was under heavy shitstorm fire).

My impressions:

Spoiler:

POSITIVE:

- Reylo goes first of course. I went nuts when Ren just ran away from treatment and started fussing about, wondering how much she can see etc. And of course with Rey having nothing at all to do on Ahch-To they'd have plenty of time to force-skype; I just wish they'd put a sock on the door handle of Rey's hut to keep Luke out. It really felt like watching reylo fanfic on screen. I'm also not concerned about the ending at all - the only reason Kylo didn't go with Rey was because he has interpreted his vision that she'd be by his side in the end, and frankly I'd be happy with either possibility (Rey going dark or Kylo going light - and yes the latter is STILL doable, he's just gonna pull a full-on Zuko: at the end of Avatar: Book 2 Zuko for the very first time in his life has the opportunity to make his very own choice, ofc he went for the baddies, his comfort zone; of course I might be wrong and they just run off altogether, but them being together confirmed via force vision is the key here). Lol'd so much at their fight against Snoke's guards, Kylo kept an eye on her at all times. H-beating They'll keep in touch, no doubt. Wink

- There's humor and it's well inserted into the scenes IMO. Didn't even mind Poe's banter with Hux (and Hux's continued adversary towards Kylo made me and my friend struggle to contain our laughter in the theater - wouldn't be surprised if Kylo's reign is quickly ended after a little coup d'etat).

- Great soundtrack.

- Great fight scenes, although to be honest I wish they'd taken a different choreographer for Kylo's battle moves - he's a big tall tank, why in the world should he bend over for all his strikes??? It's his size and striking range that are his advantages, swiftness and superior agility suits smaller people like Rey much MUCH better. Either way the entire theater was in awe when Rey threw her lightsaber to Kylo while he was struggling in the guard's choke hold.

- Perfect distribution of all plotlines, no character overshadowed the others or forced them out of screentime entirely. That was my major problem with Rogue One; two people go off to adventure together, the rest just sits in the ship. Ugh.

- I loved the Canto Bight scene so much (but that might just be the equestrian in me talking Laughing).

NEUTRAL/What I guess might be points most people will hate about this movie:

- Snoke just being cut out of the picture (literally, lmao). All the build-up, mystery and fan-theorizing gone. Personally I never cared much for his character so I didn't mind, but I'll understand if people do.

- Rey's background totally non-mysterious and ordinary. I expected this from day 1 ("I'm no one", remember?) so again I didn't care about it, but once again I'll understand if you do (unless you were a nagging Reywalker or bullying Finnrey pos - IN YOUR FACE!).

- The entire B-plot was pretty much inconsequential and had no depth at all. From the movie's beginning to the end the resistance (which curiously is named rebellion throughout the movie, at least in the German version) is barely surviving and now counting less than 400 members (and that was the status when the transport ships were being shot - who knows how few are left after Crait). Felt more like watching an episode of your favourite TV series - but it was entertaining enough and I don't expect the FO to get defeated in this trilogy anyway so I'm 50/50 about this.

- I'm pretty much on the fence about Kylo taking over the FO in stride. He might have beaten Vader in that regard (killing his master; although thoroughly arrogant Snoke is hardly of Sidious caliber), but beyond that little has changed in his character. He's still conflicted and has no leadership qualities except barking orders and going toe-to-toe with Hux; his first and last scene in the movie show him freaking out (= there's STILL conflict in him). Him being so easily distracted on Crait reminded me a lot of Aang's first fight against Zhao - quoting Aang: "No self-control." His entire present air forces after the Falcon because it triggered him, then letting the remaining resistance fighters escape because his entire focus was on Luke like a bull on a red rag... yeah, I can definitely see FO leadership plotting against him sooner or later.

- I wonder why they opened up the can of Jedi mysticism and ancient secrets when all they did with it was burn it down. No offense to Master Yoda but I'm questioning how untrained young force sensitives might not have profited from old knowledge. The argument that the students overcome the masters in time could have been good if Luke hadn't taught Rey for 3 minutes only before she teaches herself lightsaber fighting moves (and if Daisy Ridley still has the guts to declare anyone saying Rey is a Mary Sue a woman hater, someone please invite her to see the movie - I don't care for the explanation that Rey's force powers rose in response to Kylo's power, fella still spent years under Master Luke's tutelage).

- Since Kylo didn't leave the massacred temple by himself, I assume his followers became the Knights of Ren. Pretty sure we'll see them in episode 9 after the vision scene and now this speck of news, it's just a bit weird that they'll be introduced so late.

- Totally saw Phasma's ending coming. And it's just like her entire storyline in both movies - not of importance and uninteresting. Bleaked Finn's triumph somewhat.

NEGATIVE:

- Absolutely Luke's death. With Leia gone it feels like such a shame that they let him go out like that, his reunion scene with Leia had less emotional impact than with R2. IMO it also took Luke the chance to fully restore his image in the eyes of the audience, no matter how peaceful his last 3 seconds screentime were laid out, what sticks with most will be the idea of bitter and half-crazed Luke. He didn't deserve that. Sad

(This is also the only negative point which actually mattered storywise so it's the only one I truly count, the rest are just musings of what could have gone differently.)

- I really wish they'd at least let Rey perform all 3 of Luke's lessons, not just one. Or made Luke concede that while he wouldn't let her gain too much control of her force powers, she'd need some saber skills in the fight for the resistance and make a little Rocky training sequence. Not just "Hm, let's try the saber instead of the staff... oh, got it, coolio!"

- Again Leia & Rey at the end. They didn't see each other in the entire movie. They never even contacted each other in the friggin' movie. All of Rey's expressed concern is directed at Finn - and why wouldn't she? He's her friend, injured and she has no clue about his recovery. And even at the end of TFA Leia and Rey only spoke for a few moments, Rey immediately left for Ahch-To (OFC SHE WOULD, THERE'S A FO ARMADA AT HER HEELS!). So why are they all close and touchy? Is Leia sensing that Rey will be her daughter-in-law?

- The movie ended for me with the Leia & Rey scene. The scene with the boy at the end felt like cheap "Hope never dies" cliché. I seriously wonder why they decided to add it. For emotionality? Or is the resistance switching to child soldiers in 9?

- I pray that no one in IX will get a motto they have to say over and over again. The first speech about being the spark that ignites the la la la was fine, but saying it over and over again just makes it sound obnoxious like the protagonist from Assassin's Creed Rogue always saying "I make my own luck" - I was ready to throw my Playstation out of the window by the middle of the game.

tl;dr - If you want entertainment more than depth you'll like it. Not much happens in the resistance vs FO fight. Force plot just rerolled the dice.

And now I'm desperately hoping that among the deleted scenes there'll be some more reylo. Razz Will probably watch the movie again, for Canto Bight spacehorses and reylo bewilderment at Snoke hijacking their minds.

Oh, speaking of which - is Snoke the ultimate Supreme Reylo now? scratch After all he started all this (even though it backfired like hell!).
Wait. Does that mean reylo grew of the dark side? EPIC! Razz

And let the antis jump on Poe x Rey all they like. It'll make IX sweeter, just like VIII. Only more devastating - if Kylo's down to skyping with Rey topless already, just wait for what he's gonna do when he's all comfortable with her. No Luke around to interrupt them either. Mwehe

Last edited by Rimfaxe96 on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 5:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Rimfaxe96
Rimfaxe96
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Armadeus on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 5:43 am

@Maria Antonietta wrote:POE IS GAY ASF.
@Maria Antonietta

The Last Jedi: Our Reviews and Reactions - Page 6 Tenor
Armadeus
Armadeus
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

https://www.fictionpress.com/u/564105/

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 5:48 am

@Meomeo wrote:Oh gosh please no Phantom of the Opera. And please no Rey has a child with Kylo the he dies and she goes with another. Ughhh please let her be a Master jedi and that’s it. I would rather see no romance. It’s.... ughhh
@Meomeo

No, no that, Kylo is still our legacy child and the lost youth, just the journey is not as simple and is hard.
SkyStar
SkyStar
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 5:50 am

@Rimfaxe96 wrote:Wanted to be among the first to give my review but alas, we didn't make it back home until 4 AM from the movies (TFA + TLJ double viewing) and I figured that tumblr would be on fire with the details anyway.

Personally I loved the movie, but just like back in 2015 when I went to see TFA I didn't expect to see depth, only entertainment. Many probably wanted more so I can fully understand that this movie will be hated by many (and already is, at 3 AM the German Star Wars Facebook page was under heavy shitstorm fire).

My impressions:

Spoiler:

POSITIVE:

- Reylo goes first of course. I went nuts when Ren just ran away from treatment and started fussing about, wondering how much she can see etc. And of course with Rey having nothing at all to do on Ahch-To they'd have plenty of time to force-skype; I just wish they'd put a sock on the door handle of Rey's hut to keep Luke out. It really felt like watching reylo fanfic on screen. I'm also not concerned about the ending at all - the only reason Kylo didn't go with Rey was because he has interpreted his vision that she'd be by his side in the end, and frankly I'd be happy with either possibility (Rey going dark or Kylo going light - and yes the latter is STILL doable, he's just gonna pull a full-on Zuko: at the end of Avatar: Book 2 Zuko for the very first time in his life has the opportunity to make his very own choice, ofc he went for the baddies, his comfort zone; of course I might be wrong and they just run off altogether, but them being together confirmed via force vision is the key here). Lol'd so much at their fight against Snoke's guards, Kylo kept an eye on her at all times. H-beating They'll keep in touch, no doubt. Wink

- There's humor and it's well inserted into the scenes IMO. Didn't even mind Poe's banter with Hux (and Hux's continued adversary towards Kylo made me and my friend struggle to contain our laughter in the theater - wouldn't be surprised if Kylo's reign is quickly ended after a little coup d'etat).

- Great soundtrack.

- Great fight scenes, although to be honest I wish they'd taken a different choreographer for Kylo's battle moves - he's a big tall tank, why in the world should he bend over for all his strikes??? It's his size and striking range that are his advantages, swiftness and superior agility suits smaller people like Rey much MUCH better. Either way the entire theater was in awe when Rey threw her lightsaber to Kylo while he was struggling in the guard's choke hold.

- Perfect distribution of all plotlines, no character overshadowed the others or forced them out of screentime entirely. That was my major problem with Rogue One; two people go off to adventure together, the rest just sits in the ship. Ugh.

- I loved the Canto Bight scene so much (but that might just be the equestrian in me talking Laughing).

NEUTRAL/What I guess might be points most people will hate about this movie:

- Snoke just being cut out of the picture (literally, lmao). All the build-up, mystery and fan-theorizing gone. Personally I never cared much for his character so I didn't mind, but I'll understand if people do.

- Rey's background totally non-mysterious and ordinary. I expected this from day 1 ("I'm no one", remember?) so again I didn't care about it, but once again I'll understand if you do (unless you were a nagging Reywalker or bullying Finnrey pos - IN YOUR FACE!).

- The entire B-plot was pretty much inconsequential and had no depth at all. From the movie's beginning to the end the resistance (which curiously is named rebellion throughout the movie, at least in the German version) is barely surviving and now counting less than 400 members (and that was the status when the transport ships were being shot - who knows how few are left after Crait). Felt more like watching an episode of your favourite TV series - but it was entertaining enough and I don't expect the FO to get defeated in this trilogy anyway so I'm 50/50 about this.

- I'm pretty much on the fence about Kylo taking over the FO in stride. He might have beaten Vader in that regard (killing his master; although thoroughly arrogant Snoke is hardly of Sidious caliber), but beyond that little has changed in his character. He's still conflicted and has no leadership qualities except barking orders and going toe-to-toe with Hux; his first and last scene in the movie show him freaking out (= there's STILL conflict in him). Him being so easily distracted on Crait reminded me a lot of Aang's first fight against Zhao - quoting Aang: "No self-control." His entire present air forces after the Falcon because it triggered him, then letting the remaining resistance fighters escape because his entire focus was on Luke like a bull on a red rag... yeah, I can definitely see FO leadership plotting against him sooner or later.

- I wonder why they opened up the can of Jedi mysticism and ancient secrets when all they did with it was burn it down. No offense to Master Yoda but I'm questioning how untrained young force sensitives might not have profited from old knowledge. The argument that the students overcome the masters in time could have been good if Luke hadn't taught Rey for 3 minutes only before she teaches herself lightsaber fighting moves (and if Daisy Ridley still has the guts to declare anyone saying Rey is a Mary Sue a woman hater, someone please invite her to see the movie - I don't care for the explanation that Rey's force powers rose in response to Kylo's power, fella still spent years under Master Luke's tutelage).

- Since Kylo didn't leave the massacred temple by himself, I assume his followers became the Knights of Ren. Pretty sure we'll see them in episode 9 after the vision scene and now this speck of news, it's just a bit weird that they'll be introduced so late.

- Totally saw Phasma's ending coming. And it's just like her entire storyline in both movies - not of importance and uninteresting. Bleaked Finn's triumph somewhat.

NEGATIVE:

- Absolutely Luke's death. With Leia gone it feels like such a shame that they let him go out like that, his reunion scene with Leia had less emotional impact than with R2. IMO it also took Luke the chance to fully restore his image in the eyes of the audience, no matter how peaceful his last 3 seconds screentime were laid out, what sticks with most will be the idea of bitter and half-crazed Luke. He didn't deserve that. Sad

(This is also the only negative point which actually mattered storywise so it's the only one I truly count, the rest are just musings of what could have gone differently.)

- I really wish they'd at least let Rey perform all 3 of Luke's lessons, not just one. Or made Luke concede that while he wouldn't let her gain too much control of her force powers, she'd need some saber skills in the fight for the resistance and make a little Rocky training sequence. Not just "Hm, let's try the saber instead of the staff... oh, got it, coolio!"

- Again Leia & Rey at the end. They didn't see each other in the entire movie. They never even contacted each other in the friggin' movie. All of Rey's expressed concern is directed at Finn - and why wouldn't she? He's her friend, injured and she has no clue about his recovery. And even at the end of TFA Leia and Rey only spoke for a few moments, Rey immediately left for Ahch-To (OFC SHE WOULD, THERE'S A FO ARMADA AT HER HEELS!). So why are they all close and touchy? Is Leia sensing that Rey will be her daughter-in-law?

- The movie ended for me with the Leia & Rey scene. The scene with the boy at the end felt like cheap "Hope never dies" cliché. I seriously wonder why they decided to add it. For emotionality? Or is the resistance switching to child soldiers in 9?

- I pray that no one in IX will get a motto they have to say over and over again. The first speech about being the spark that ignites the la la la was fine, but saying it over and over again just makes it sound obnoxious like the protagonist from Assassin's Creed Rogue always saying "I make my own luck" - I was ready to throw my Playstation out of the window by the middle of the game.

tl;dr - If you want entertainment more than depth you'll like it. Not much happens in the resistance vs FO fight. Force plot just rerolled the dice.

And now I'm desperately hoping that among the deleted scenes there'll be some more reylo. Razz Will probably watch the movie again, for Canto Bight spacehorses and reylo bewilderment at Snoke hijacking their minds.

Oh, speaking of which - is Snoke the ultimate Supreme Reylo now? scratch After all he started all this (even though it backfired like hell!).
Wait. Does that mean reylo grew of the dark side? EPIC! Razz

And let the antis jump on Poe x Rey all they like. It'll make IX sweeter, just like VIII. Only more devastating - if Kylo's down to skyping with Rey topless already, just wait for what he's gonna do when he's all comfortable with her. No Luke around to interrupt them either. Mwehe
@Rimfaxe96

Your summary sums up my feelings I’m having right now. I’m on my way for the second screening. Thank God in OV. I haven’t checked the German FB page. But have you seen the comments on starwars-union.de? People are outrageous and not because of Reylo.
EchoBase
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rimfaxe96 on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 5:54 am

@EchoBase wrote:Your summary sums up my feelings I’m having right now. I’m on my way for the second screening. Thank God in OV. I haven’t checked the German FB page. But have you seen the comments on starwars-union.de? People are outrageous and not because of Reylo.  
@EchoBase

Not yet but I guess they'll be similar to those on Facebook. Most people are enraged about Luke - I can't blame them for it. Especially for the older fans it must be really hard to see their beloved character like that. Sad He should have been around in IX - on the other hand, now Kylo's continued developement is more flexible. He's burned all essential bridges to his past off now.

I think I'll see VIII again tonight. Need me some more reylo. And Poe cuddling BB-8 at the end. <3
Rimfaxe96
Rimfaxe96
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Teo oswald on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 5:57 am

I believe we can say in this film they set the pairs.
Rose is into Finn at 100%
Finn is working but I think he cares a lot about Rose, even Rey has seen it, then there's Rey. Even without a kiss or a classic phrase of love we can say that she has a feeling towards Ben. I do not dare say that she loves him because I think this feeling is still working. I can say that compared to the episode VII Rey in this film behaves differently to Kylo despite knowing who he is and what he did. Change is the key and I liked it. then we saw their bond progressed a hundred times
it's something we've never seen in star wars, but I also think it's dangerous, and whoever conceived this is diabolical and brilliant Very Happy
Teo oswald
Teo oswald
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by AhsokaTano on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 6:05 am

Yeah am not keen on the phantom route ( I want happy ending for kylo and rey )but just suggesting it might go down that route .But as with most good stories they take elements of lots of things ie myths,fairytales , classics and there’s a lot of other elements at work here apart from phantom - pride and prejudice , Jane eyre, Beauty and the beast , the snow queen, Cinderella to name a few .
AhsokaTano
AhsokaTano
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by panki on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 6:06 am

Maybe Kylo, Finn and Poe will punch eachother over Rey in Episode 9 and Rey elopes with Rose. Razz

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsWindu on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 6:20 am

This is a quick write up based on someone who honestly hadn’t seen any major spoilers, who’s not slept much and desires to see the TLJ a second and third time to appreciate possible meanings and expressions more fully

REYLO/FORCEBOND ASPECT
Holy heck I was not expecting half as much as we saw. I had wondered how this would be portrayed and admired the way it was introduced. Although the f/ bond scenes progressed I did feel they could have been explored for a little longer. I don’t think Kylo had to be necessarily shirtless for the third version ( but I wasn’t complaining) and I’m sure it serves a purpose that the the bond seems to strike as and when it likes. I could hardly breath during their hands reaching out scene and they played it beautifully with the heightened breathing and eye contact. Their elevator piece I’m sure is crucial to the next part with Snoke and I’d like to hold back till tomorrow (as the bloke next to me decided cough right then). Although the throne room fight sequence was really quite something to watch and I think the GA will take away how synchronised they can be as a pair.

REY
I remember Carrie’s words that Rey is very ‘forgiving’ and I can see how this plays out but I did find some of her scenes too rushed. And by heck I’m not sure about the hall of mirrors and ultimate parent reveal. I can sense her loneliness and wanting to be part of something or at least have a purpose. I think Snoke calls her a child and underestimates quite how its all going to play out. I'm guessing her saving what's left of the Resistance is Rey coming to terms with her new role?

LUKE
He lived up to my personal expectation of a grizzly demoralised grumpy old man, and I enjoyed this aspect of his life on the island. As the story of almost striking Ben with his lightsaber emerges Luke does seem remorseful and ashamed of his actions. However I cannot fathom without more viewings what the heck was really going on with Yoda and the Force tree. I knew something was amiss when Luke turned up on Crait with a tidy beard that was no longer salt and pepper. I want to reserve judgement for his clash with Ben until I see the film again as I couldn't hear everything that was said ( there was lots of coughing in the cinema!!)

Going off at a tangent while the thought is still in my mind….the water dripping into the mosaic ‘font’ with the meditation symbol. It just reminded me of a Buddhist water offering when one is trying to overcome attachment and is symbolic of purification

KYLO/BEN
As other have said Adam was outstanding in the film and he was great in every scene. I’m not going to lie I was freaking out at the end when he was clutching the dice and Rey metaphorically shut the ramp of the MF. My head said this could be the impetus he needs but my heart was wavering with doubt. Again I need to see again to understand more fully and pick up on his motivations as I had real difficulty grasping that.

Overall I did enjoy many aspects of this film including the Porgs HOWEVER there were so many points that were once again left open ended for me, and I just know they want 2 more years of debate. I’m sure DR said there was a ’satisfying arc’ in one of the press interviews and I’m not sure whose she was referring to. Going into IX I sure hope they properly answer some of Ben's back story, where the KOR are, whats going to happen to the lightsaber. Also when did Rey put the books from the Force Tree in the MF- or did I imagine that?
MrsWindu
MrsWindu
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum