Kylo vs Hux as Leaders/The First Order thread

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Re: Kylo vs Hux as Leaders/The First Order thread

Post by DeeBee on Thu 21 Jun 2018, 1:17 am

Hello! I had a random FO thought the other day.. I read a little discussion somewhere lately about how Hux is not likely to be a big threat in IX..
Sorry not sure where LOL..
I think there are hints Hux is a threat to SL Kylo- and this may have been foreshadowed.
Not just through Hux going for his gun while Kylo was unconscious on the floor of the throne room, or that last conniving look at the end of TLJ.
I think it is foreshadowed because Hux is the leader of the FO Army [In TLJ he said to Kylo/Ben: "“You presume to command my army? We have no ruler. The Supreme Leader is dead.”]
He's extremely conniving and ambitious, and well he personally hates Kylo/Ben and force users in general!
Because he commands the FO army, I think Hux can be a legitimate threat to Kylo/Ben.
This is foreshadowed by Luke's declaration that a Jedi can't face down the whole FO army with a laser sword. In the end, Luke does this - as a force projection, but it does indeed cost him his life.
We also saw many Jedi surrounded and taken down by an army when order 66 was activated and the clone army turned against them.
A jedi [or force user] cannot take on a whole army alone.
[And this is another reason why Luke does what he does  - through his actions he manages to be light the spark of hope in the galaxy - so that it won't need to be a jedi alone facing the FO - the galaxy will unite to fight them together..]
In the Phantom Menace - in the scene on Tatooine where they are eating lunch.. Anakin says he knows Qui-Gon is a jedi.. because he saw his 'laser sword'
Qui-Gon replies: Perhaps I killed a Jedi and took the weapon from him.
Anakin: I don't think so. No one can kill a Jedi.
Qui-Gon (quietly): I wish that were so.  

Should Hux be able to turn the FO army against Kylo/Ben, even with his force powers, Kylo/Ben is not going to be able to defeat it alone.
For this reason alone - I can't disregard Hux as a genuine threat in IX.

Beyond this, Hux has a track record of working doggedly on technology in order to defeat his enemies and rise to power, and he has done this in secret - choosing the right moment to reveal is technological advance- he could be working on something now that is going to be a legitimate threat which force users like Rey and Kylo/Ben are significantly threatened by.
I love how all this has been set up and I'm looking forward to whatever the makers come up with in IX! I don't doubt whatever - we'll have a significant threat for our fave people to face and conquer in IX!

One other reason I think Hux can be a threat - Crait was a humiliating failure!

The Leadership of Kylo/Ben and his ability to lead the FO army in battle has been damaged.. and Hux is going to utilise this to his advantage to turn FO people against him. It's all a big uh oh for SL Kylo/Ben...

One last comment while I'm in the FO thread! A random thought i had..
In this scene:

When Hux went for his gun while Kylo/Ben was unconscious... Kylo need not have worried. We were told in the TFA visual dictionary that Hux's gun has a fingerprint reader that means only Hux can shoot it.

LOL. Hux is wearing gloves, so how could he have activated it?!
DeeBee
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Fri 22 Jun 2018, 2:57 am

I would actually like to see tensions between Finn and Poe, crazy as it seems. Because I think Finn has the potential to be a great leader, more even than Poe. He has a deep sense of right and wrong, which led him to overthrow his conditioning and leave the FO, and although he makes mistakes he isn't as rash with other people's lives as Poe. But what I can see is a rift becoming between the two of them if Rey's link to Kylo is discovered. Do any of the Resistance know Rey was on the Supremacy? Do they even know how Snoke died? Because if Rey is mistrusted by Poe over the Force bond I see Finn having to make a fateful choice between his friends -and I am pretty certain he'd choose Rey.
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar on Fri 22 Jun 2018, 6:56 am

@DeeBee If they can make Hux a phantom menace for ST I would be clapping. Yeah, he looks puny but he is also cold and humilated and has no empathy or compassion. A villain doesn’t need to be some kind of ancient deformed or insane monster. Its funny I don’t see him being too much calculating like Tarkin for example, but go full on crazy like Jonothan Crane.

Nice catch about the gun LOL.
SkyStar
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Fri 22 Jun 2018, 7:30 am

I think Hux would make a great 'big bad' - he wasn't anywhere near as humorous in TFA, and Domhnall has the acting chops to pull it off.
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee on Sun 24 Jun 2018, 5:55 am

@SkyStar wrote:@DeeBee If they can make Hux a phantom menace for ST I would be clapping. Yeah, he looks puny but he is also cold and humilated and has no empathy or compassion. A villain doesn’t need to be some kind of ancient deformed or insane monster. Its funny I don’t see him being too much calculating like Tarkin for example, but go full on crazy like Jonothan Crane.

Nice catch about the gun LOL.
@SkyStar

Whoooo phantom menace?! I LOVE this SkyStar!
Indeed on the surface he is at times a bit of a dill... but he does have quite a long history of bumping off his competition. A long list.. the visual dictionary even shows the FO officer who is Hux's go to guy for assassinations.
I think Hux can be very calculating - but his weakness is that he trusts his simulations and technology too much - he doesn't think creatively in battle.. this has been hinted at but umm right now I can't remember where.

@motherofpearl1 wrote:I think Hux would make a great 'big bad' - he wasn't anywhere near as humorous in TFA, and Domhnall has the acting chops to pull it off.
@"motherofpearl1

We'll see! Yeah I agree Hux wasn't funny at all in TFA - when he was ranting at a massive FO rally and murdering billions of people in a moment. Pure evil. The fact that there were a few jokes at his expense in TLJ doesn't rule Hux out as the big bad in IX - though I understand for others it does. I agree Domhnall can totally pull it off- good call!

I can't help but think the being made a fool of in TLJ is going to really infuriate and motivate Hux toward maximum evil in IX. Especially when leadership of the FO is soooo close he can taste it!
I think Hux's POV could be: He knows he is destined for better than being tossed around like a rag doll by that Kylo Force using scum- and he is going to make him pay.

A thought struck me the other day - that time and again we see in SW that it is the threat you don't see coming that is the most dangerous and effective in defeating you - the Jedi overlooked and underestimated the Sith's resurgence, the Emperor underestimating Vader and his love for his Son/ Luke's bravery, and we had Snoke - as Rey so directly stated in the movie - underestimating Luke Skywalker, Ben Solo and Rey.
This is yet another way that Hux as a potential big bad could be foreshadowed right across all 3 trilogies...
There is a section in the novelisation where Snoke's POV is reflecting on this... Start of chapter 25:
"... who would have guessed that the girl Rey would be so slim and fragile-looking? She looked lost in the throne room, dwarfed by both her surroundings and the galaxy-shaking events for which she was the unlikely and unwitting fulcrum.
But Snoke knew appearances were often deceiving—sometimes fatally so. Underestimating Rey had nearly cost Kylo Ren his life, after all. Snoke knew better. For he had his own legions of uncounted dead, their ranks filled by those who had underestimated him."
[yes the irony is delicious when ultimately Snoke makes the same fatal mistake!]

For me, if the makers so choose, Hux is already set up as a potential big bad in IX that many fans will not see coming - but in hindsight they will look back and maybe wonder why they let a few jokes at his expense distract them from his ruthless evil.

I think there can be an awfulness to finding that the person you overlooked as a sniveling fool, actually bests you in battle - even temporarily (as I hope will be the case for Rey and Kylo/Ben lol!). It gives wanting to fight to get out of their clutches an additional dimension.. like your dignity is at stake! The horror that this could be how you are defeated and how your life ends???!!!!- by that rabid Kurr??!!! gah!!!! Nooooo!!!!!
And all the while Hux is indeed showing how truly evil he is.  Am I making sense? There's a horror to that which is terrifying!

It could also be true there is another threat I'm completely overlooking - LOL.. I'm open to anything! sunny
DeeBee
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 on Sun 24 Jun 2018, 7:42 am

I notice that in Hux's last scene Kylo has his back to him....I wonder if this is meant to signify something? Never turn your back on a snake...
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Sun 24 Jun 2018, 7:55 am

I feel if they didn't make Hux the big bad in IX it would a wasted opportunity.

Domhnall Gleeson is such a great actor and he could pull it off- you just love to hate him and RJ playing him for comedy relief in VIII will only make it a bigger surprise for the GA when he turns out to be the "Big Villain" in IX. Twisted Evil

Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey on Sun 24 Jun 2018, 10:25 am

@motherofpearl1 wrote:I notice that in Hux's last scene Kylo has his back  to him....I wonder if this is meant to signify something? Never turn your back on a snake...
@motherofpearl1

Indeed!  Plus that look....that is the look of someone plotting Ben's/Kylo's demise.  The focus on him was very quick, yet it is chilling.  At that moment, I felt Rian was quickly changing the focus from comedy relief to serious threat, and tossing the ball to J.J.  

Plus, because Hux craves power (especially emphasized in the novelization) - the plotting of....and actual overthrow of Ben/Kylo is greatly foreshadowed.
SW_Heroine_Journey
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman on Sun 24 Jun 2018, 10:54 am

I believe Hux is going to be the big bad in the next movie. I do believe he will overthrow Kylo as Supreme Leader. Whenever I am on twitter and read threads by star wars fans, a good majority of them think that Kylo is now totally evil. They always seem to forget Hux, whom seemed to more evil as TLJ progressed....

Birdwoman
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum