The Last Jedi: Professional Reviews, Articles

Page 6 of 25 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15 ... 25  Next

Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: Professional Reviews, Articles

Post by vaderito on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 9:30 am

@rawpowah wrote:By the looks of it we're getting a repeat of the post-TFA discourse, where everyone seems to have watched a completely different movie from us. That can only bode well for us once IX premieres. Just like last time with TLJ. It's like poetry! Laughing
@rawpowah

Exactly. Though I expect that discourse won't be as big as the last one cause parentage and Snoke nonsense are cleared. There isn't that much to talk about until we got some idea what IX will be about.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 11:14 am

Oh a certain % of his crimes also include corrupting Rey with dirty thoughts. Or probably for some fans, they dislike him and have a crush on her from the first movie. It's not going down well for them to learn that Rey is actually more likely to hit it with somebody like the villain than somebody like them : P.

@cowgirlsamurai - what was that Twitter joke? People shouldn't be upset about her relationship with Ben because
Spoiler:
she'll still end up having some Skywalker/Solo in her ;)

@rey09 wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@rey09 wrote:I find it funny how everyone before TLJ was like Rey is a Skywalker because "sw is about the skywalkers!!" and now that kylo is the last skywalker, they're like "well....good riddance they cause so much destruction end them!!" wtf?
@rey09

Yep! I keep hearing people say, “Well, I guess Episode 9 will be the end of the Skywalkers cuz there’s no way Kylo can live.” One guy I listened to yesterday said he’s expecting a looong ROTS style lightsaber battle between Rey and Kylo at the end of Episode 9, complete with an “I loved you!” line from Rey before she destroys him. :suspect:
@Cowgirlsamurai

Right?  Some folks literally can not grasp the concept of foreshadowing.  Do they really think they’d tease an overt (and YES it was overt) romance between Rey and Ben, only to never address it again ever?  How did these people pass English class in high school? Did they?
@IoJovi @PalmettoBlue  Ugh just thinking about the majority of the fandom just makes me so angry. There is a such a culture of anti-intellectualism within the star wars nerdom. They are so ingrained in the action and sci-elements that they forget it's a story about love and humanity.
@rey09

My thoughts exactly. I mean, some of this shouldn't be too hard. Though I do wonder how much of this is carried over from people being accustomed to certain mindsets because of the typical fare served by blockbuster movies that they can't wrap their brains around what's being done here instead. SW is the world's longest running and most successful blockbuster franchise. But it's also had these strong elements of the themes around love and compassion as well as referencing religion, philosophy, literature, folklore, and the classic films. It's an entirely different creature than what most fans are accustomed to in today's environment.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 2:25 pm

@vaderito wrote:
@rawpowah wrote:By the looks of it we're getting a repeat of the post-TFA discourse, where everyone seems to have watched a completely different movie from us. That can only bode well for us once IX premieres. Just like last time with TLJ. It's like poetry! Laughing
@rawpowah

Exactly. Though I expect that discourse won't be as big as the last one cause parentage and Snoke nonsense are cleared. There isn't that much to talk about until we got some idea what IX will be about.
@vaderito

By the looks of it the debates right now are whether Kylo lied to Rey about her parents (some can't let it go it seems lol) and whether Rey will hook up with any available male character that's not Kylo Laughing

Most of the fanboys and haters are convinced Reylo is over and Kylo's irredeemable and will die a horrible death, so I'm guessing Kylo's survival is what Lucasfilm will tease us with once promotions for IX start. The antis will try and beat us with their sticks about that for sure.
rawpowah
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 3:48 pm

@rawpowah wrote:
@vaderito wrote:
@rawpowah

@vaderito

By the looks of it the debates right now are whether Kylo lied to Rey about her parents (some can't let it go it seems lol) and whether Rey will hook up with any available male character that's not Kylo Laughing

Most of the fanboys and haters are convinced Reylo is over and Kylo's irredeemable and will die a horrible death, so I'm guessing Kylo's survival is what Lucasfilm will tease us with once promotions for IX start. The antis will try and beat us with their sticks about that for sure.
@rawpowah

yeah those "topics" are not going to be hot in a long run. They are just hot now as a way to vent venom.

The worst is behind us.

vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire on Sun 31 Dec 2017, 1:07 pm

SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Sun 31 Dec 2017, 1:10 pm

@SheLitAFire

I am seeing it today in less than an hour.  Since the film has been out over two weeks now, I figured it’d be easy to find a showing nearby.  I was wrong.  I had to dig deep to find a showing that didn’t have anything but crappier seats available.  The film is doing just fine.  Laughing
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire on Sun 31 Dec 2017, 1:12 pm

@IoJovi wrote:
@SheLitAFire

I am seeing it today in less than an hour.  Since the film has been out over two weeks now, I figured it’d be easy to find a showing nearby.  I was wrong.  I had to dig deep to find a showing that didn’t have anything but crappier seats available.  The film is doing just fine.  Laughing
@IoJovi

yup. Doesn't seem to be doing as much of the same dip as the 2nd movie in the OT or PT. How many times does that make it for you? I've seen it 5 times, but I need a break now lol
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Sun 31 Dec 2017, 1:14 pm

@SheLitAFire wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@SheLitAFire

@IoJovi

yup. Doesn't seem to be doing as much of the same dip as the 2nd movie in the OT or PT. How many times does that make it for you? I've seen it 5 times, but I need a break now lol
@SheLitAFire

This viewing will mark #5 for me. I’m sure it won’t be the last either before it leaves the theaters...

IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Sun 31 Dec 2017, 1:25 pm

@IoJovi wrote:
@SheLitAFire wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@SheLitAFire

@IoJovi

@SheLitAFire

This viewing will mark #5 for me.  I’m sure it won’t be the last either before it leaves the theaters...

@IoJovi

I’ve seen it 5 times as well  Very Happy  How long are films typically in theaters? Two months? Does it depend on popularity? Tumblr GIFs of my favorite scenes are good enough for me at the moment, but might go to the theater again before it’s gone...
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Sun 31 Dec 2017, 1:30 pm

@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@SheLitAFire wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@SheLitAFire

@IoJovi

@SheLitAFire

This viewing will mark #5 for me.  I’m sure it won’t be the last either before it leaves the theaters...

@IoJovi

I’ve seen it 5 times as well  Very Happy  How long are films typically in theaters? Two months? Does it depend on popularity? Tumblr GIFs of my favorite scenes are good enough for me at the moment, but might go to the theater again before it’s gone...
@Cowgirlsamurai

I think TFA was playing as late as March if I remember right. So I’ll have plenty of more chances. That being said, I wonder how who holds the record on our board for most viewings? I feel like a poll should be made.
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire on Sun 31 Dec 2017, 1:43 pm

@IoJovi

Do it!
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism on Sun 31 Dec 2017, 1:51 pm

@SheLitAFire wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@SheLitAFire

@IoJovi

@SheLitAFire

I've seen it three times, but plan to see it again, probably in the next week. I did watch it twice in one day and then two weeks after. Gets better each viewing, no? :-p
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Xylo Ren on Sun 31 Dec 2017, 3:27 pm

@IoJovi wrote:
@SheLitAFire

@IoJovi

I went to see it with my friend on Friday around 2:30 and it was completely sold out. Not even just bad seats left, but SOLD OUT. We had to drive to another theatre to catch a showing and it was still pretty full.

The film had been out for two weeks and it was still sold out!
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Geralt_Riv on Sun 31 Dec 2017, 4:26 pm

@IoJovi wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@SheLitAFire wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@SheLitAFire

@IoJovi

@SheLitAFire

@IoJovi

@Cowgirlsamurai

I think TFA was playing as late as March if I remember right.  So I’ll have plenty of more chances.  That being said, I wonder how who holds the record on our board for most viewings?  I feel like a poll should be made.
@IoJovi

I think there is a big possibility that it is me. I have watched it 6 times already. Laughing

And Happy New Year! Laughing
Geralt_Riv
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire on Sun 31 Dec 2017, 4:28 pm

@Geralt_Riv wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@SheLitAFire wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@SheLitAFire

@IoJovi

@SheLitAFire

@IoJovi

@Cowgirlsamurai

I think TFA was playing as late as March if I remember right.  So I’ll have plenty of more chances.  That being said, I wonder how who holds the record on our board for most viewings?  I feel like a poll should be made.
@IoJovi

I think there is a big possibility that it is me. I have watched it 6 times already. Laughing

@Geralt_Riv

ooooo you might have the most views then, Geralt! We really do need to make a poll, @IoJovi!
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase on Sun 31 Dec 2017, 4:30 pm

@Geralt_Riv wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@SheLitAFire wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@SheLitAFire

@IoJovi

@SheLitAFire

@IoJovi

@Cowgirlsamurai

@IoJovi

@Geralt_Riv

Had my 6th viewing as well yesterday. And can’t get enough. The audience was hilarious this time. In front of me there was guy who drank beer and raised his bottle to each Reylo scene. Somehow his theory was apparently proved right Very Happy And another girl in my row squeaked during the shirtless scene.

Happy New Year to you! Having dinner with my drunk husband who’s appreciating Adam’s acting skills right now. Perfect.

EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Sun 31 Dec 2017, 5:08 pm

@Xylo Ren wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@SheLitAFire

@IoJovi

I went to see it with my friend on Friday around 2:30 and it was completely sold out. Not even just bad seats left, but SOLD OUT. We had to drive to another theatre to catch a showing and it was still pretty full.

The film had been out for two weeks and it was still sold out!
@Xylo Ren

I think that "good" movies seem to be doing really well over the holiday "break".

Husband and I saw a 1:30pm showing of The Shape of Water on Friday (which has been out even longer than TLJ), and by the time the previews started, the theatre was completely full.

We've noticed that we're making more of an effort to see certain movies in the theatre (even when it involves getting a babysitter) now that several of our local theatres let you reserve seats in advance.
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman on Sun 31 Dec 2017, 5:49 pm

Every time I bring up the movie Shape of Water. My husband says: Fish are friends, not food! Lol!
It is only almost four in the afternoon here on the west coast, my husband and I are being completely silly right now....and sober. Later tonight, watch out!

Happy New Year Everyone!!

Birdwoman
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Men on Sun 31 Dec 2017, 5:56 pm

[quote="IoJovi"]
@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
Right? Some folks literally can not grasp the concept of foreshadowing. Do they really think they’d tease an overt (and YES it was overt) romance between Rey and Ben, only to never address it again ever? How did these people pass English class in high school? Did they?
@IoJovi

I was discussing on a different board with someone in the "She shut the door" camp. I'm like, they had sexual tension in the first movie. They had sexual tension in the second movie. And it was a big hit. Do you really think they're going to drop it for movie 3?

Kylo Men
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar on Sun 31 Dec 2017, 6:07 pm

[quote="Kylo Men"]
@IoJovi wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
Right?  Some folks literally can not grasp the concept of foreshadowing.  Do they really think they’d tease an overt (and YES it was overt) romance between Rey and Ben, only to never address it again ever?  How did these people pass English class in high school?  Did they?
@IoJovi

I was discussing on a different board with someone in the "She shut the door" camp. I'm like, they had sexual tension in the first movie. They had sexual tension in the second movie. And it was a big hit. Do you really think they're going to drop it for movie 3?
@Kylo Men

Which is funny because if you watch romantic movies you actually can pinpoint where they have this moment similar to shutting the door - like girl discovers that the guy actually had some kind of bet or smth but he loves her and its happy end after that. Just we have one more movie.
SkyStar
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://vienradzis.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Sun 31 Dec 2017, 6:13 pm

[quote="SkyStar"]
@Kylo Men wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
Right?  Some folks literally can not grasp the concept of foreshadowing.  Do they really think they’d tease an overt (and YES it was overt) romance between Rey and Ben, only to never address it again ever?  How did these people pass English class in high school?  Did they?
@IoJovi

@Kylo Men

Which is funny because if you watch romantic movies you actually can pinpoint where they have this moment similar to shutting the door - like girl discovers that the guy actually had some kind of bet or smth but he loves her and its happy end after that. Just we have one more movie.
@SkyStar
Yep, LOL.

Forgive me. It was my generation.
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sun 31 Dec 2017, 6:38 pm

@Kylo Men wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@IoJovi

@Kylo Men

Are the "She shut the door camp" even paid attention or is willing to admit all of the sexual imagery and subtext between in their scenes? Like I've lived in a couple places next to the sea and ocean and I don't think I've ever seen a tidal pools/sea cavse with er, that shape opening with sea grass growing around it in quite that order. Same goes for any big ancient trees I've ever seen having that same shape opening (and good Lord did IMAX make me see the shape of the canon blast hole Luke exits through for his confrontation). Which is maybe why they're still over in that camp. Versus the "they had a really bad fight because they're not on the same page about things and he's sleeping on the couch at the end of this episode, stay tuned for what happens next" camp that's over here.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Mon 01 Jan 2018, 10:50 am

A Better Class of Criminal: The Best Movie Villains of 2017

Adam Driver as Kylo Ren, Star Wars: The Last Jedi

The heir-apparent to Ledger’s performance in The Dark Knight, Adam Driver is a revelation in Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Kylo Ren has quickly become the best blockbuster villain to grace the silver screen since Ledger’s Joker. That everyone doesn’t outright hate the character who murdered Han Solo in 2015’s The Force Awakens is a testament to Driver’s performance. He’s conflicted, sometimes sympathetic, sometimes utterly despicable, skilled, ambitious—and all of this while wearing surprisingly (upsettingly, for some) high-waisted pants and being totally jacked. If you say you didn’t look like a carbon copy of the “white guy blinking meme” when Driver had his shirtless scene in The Last Jedi, you’re lying to God, your country, and yourself, because that beefcake came out of nowhere to blindside us all.

All of this to say that what Driver brings to this movie that very few modern villains do is sexual tension. There’s a real will-they/won’t-they for Kylo Ren and Rey (Daisy Ridley) that’s fun to watch and isn’t really found in other hero/villain matchups these days. Avengers: Infinity War, for instance, is not going to have audiences writing romantic fan-fiction about Captain America and Thanos because of the chemistry between Chris Evans and Josh Brolin. Probably. But because Driver plays Kylo’s conflicting emotions and desires so well, it’s easy for the audience to invest in a potential romance between he and Rey—and to feel disappointed when that investment doesn’t pan out.

The Dynamics of Kylo Ren

Whereas characters like Buddy and Strickland from earlier in the list shine because they’re relatively static, Kylo Ren is a wonderful villain because he’s dynamic. His role in the story changes alongside his thoughts and emotions. Because he was still figuring things out when he was introduced in The Force Awakens, Kylo had the potential to grow and he fulfills that potential in The Last Jedi. If Kylo in The Force Awakens had too much of “prequel Anakin” in him, making him a whiny adolescent, Kylo in The Last Jedi strikes a wonderful balance between that emotional hotspot and the more menacing villainy of the saga’s better antagonists. He’s still confused, but he actually feels like a threat here. And, boy, does he have some great moments in this movie.

One of the most powerful scenes in The Last Jedi involves Kylo standing in an elevator after being belittled by the First Order’s Supreme Leader for wearing a mask in homage to his grandfather, Darth Vader. He takes the helmet and smashes it against the wall of the elevator again and again, then leaves its shattered remains behind. It’s a great visual representation of something that drives the character for the duration of The Last Jedi—the idea that you have to “let the past die. Kill it, if you have to,” if you want to move forward—and Driver nails the execution.

Whether or not Kylo’s right about killing the past being the best way forward, it’s going to be an absolute pleasure watching Driver bring the character’s arc to a close when the next movie hits theaters in a couple of years. That he has been so widely praised in a film that’s seen a lot of backlash from fans is a testament to what Driver has brought to Kylo Ren, and hopefully a sign of things to come.

http://lwos.life/2017/12/31/a-better-class-of-criminal-best-movie-villains-of-2017/

Comparing Driver's performance and cultural impact as Kylo Ren to Heath Ledgers' Joker is just really high praise in general and the icing on the cake. There haven't been too many memorable blockbuster villains since TDK tbh (arguably Bane could be there, another Nolan villain). I blame this on Marvel and their generic, completely unforgettable villains as they've had a large impact on the movie industry and the cultural landscape.
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism on Mon 01 Jan 2018, 11:00 am

@rawpowah wrote:
@vaderito wrote:
@rawpowah

@vaderito

@rawpowah

I was chatting with my Mom, consider her GA, and she was questioning whether or not Kylo was lying. She should be happy that she has a daughter that can chat more thoroughly about this sort of things. My husband is also at the point in which he has asked me if I have gone and joined a Reylo cult. HAHA. Little does he realise. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil lol!
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Mon 01 Jan 2018, 11:55 am

@Starliteprism wrote:
@rawpowah wrote:
@vaderito wrote:
@rawpowah

@vaderito

@rawpowah

I was chatting with my Mom, consider her GA, and she was questioning whether or not Kylo was lying. She should be happy that she has a daughter that can chat more thoroughly about this sort of things. My husband is also at the point in which he has asked me if I have gone and joined a Reylo cult. HAHA. Little does he realise. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil lol!
@Starliteprism

A Reylo cult!

LOL

It made my day - say hello to your hubby!
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 25 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15 ... 25  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum