Page 3 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 25  Next

Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: Professional Reviews, Articles

Post by Moonlight13 on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 6:34 pm

@LesCousinsDangereux wrote:
@Kessel wrote:
@ZioRen wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@ZioRen wrote:How the HECK are people not getting the shirtless scene or reading it as disgust or disinterest? That whole thing is based on a very unsubtle and very obvious trope that anyone who has seen any kind of romance flick or teen drama would know and have seen before. I'm honestly baffled at people missing it. 

I swear it's just because Adam isn't conventionally attractive. I feel like if he was some supreme prettyboy, nobody would be missing the point of that scene.
@ZioRen

That, and the high-waisted pants aren't helping.  I know a few people who saw it as a comedy scene because of the pants, as ridiculous as that sounds. Like I've heard someone make a "Kylo Ren wears grandpa pants!" crack.
@ISeeAnIsland

I'll admit that the pants were an odd and unflattering choice, but still. Sheesh, people!
@ZioRen

Yeah, the choice of pants will always be a mystery that will baffle me, but the point of the scene still stands. It does not lose any of its significance because of the pants.

Perhaps some of these people were left uncomfortable with the implications...laughing at something distracts from and relieves discomfort.

As regards the high-waisted pants it did seem to me a strange choice. I wondered about it, and my guess is, it could be because of Kylo’s wound from Chewie’s bowcaster. As far as injuries go the one they wanted to show us is the scar on his face (which looks great, plus Rey gave it to him  Smile ). In this scene he needs to look attractive, and lower-waisted pants would show a big scar/mark from that wound, which would create confusion to us [audience] and Rey: are we supposed to see him as sexy, or feel empathy for him remembering he had been wounded? Since they were going for the 1st, they likely decided to cover the area with high-waisted pants. If he had lower-waisted pants and no scar from that injury people would say it is a continuity error and where is the mark from that wound? The smaller injury on his face did leave a scar despite medical treatment, and the bowcaster shot was not a just slash but torn apart a part of his lower abdomen .  

That is the only explanation I can think of, and maybe it is completely baseless. Who knows.
@LesCousinsDangereux
I agree with you.  Smile
Moonlight13

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Fri 22 Dec 2017, 6:56 pm

I love the high-waisted pants personally Very Happy The reaction is kinda divisive yeah, but I think they're also what makes that moment memorable.

I can understand the disappointment some people feel with Rey, as I also have big issues with her arc in TLJ, but none of them seem to realise why this happened - i.e. the almost complete reluctance to take any risks with Rey out of fear of tarnishing her image. There's a good reason why people rave about Luke and Kylo in this movie: they ***k up big time and make spectacular mistakes with the devastating consequences for themselves and people around them. Whereas Rey's failure and the lowest emotional point in the throne room has zero emotional aftermath (in this movie at least), because... she can't be seen as heartbroken and must finish the film as the same optimistic sunny hero and Role Model for Little Girls? Blaaaargh.

If you want a good example of the "idealistic character gets her naive hopes dashed", look at Wonder Woman; I don't love that movie but Diana's character arc in it is perfectly done.
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 4:02 am

But, the high-waisted pants are what make the scene even better! It’s in character and fits with the fact that the FB happens unexpectedly. Is he supposed to be in low waist pants showing off more than needed to get the message across? It’s Kylo we are talking about, not the various Chris heroes that are pleasing to watch but with limited emotional impact. Odd sexiness is part of the package Smile As for the people who laugh and/or make memes... Why should LF give a sith about catering them when many of them are incapable of reading all the visual hints they are given?

I watched the movie again yesterday night. Yes, some young guys laughed in that scene but they laughed at Rey’s flustered reaction. And after the movie, one of these young guys said “Kylo Ren is the most awesome character I have ever seen in TV or cinema. That actor is...” I could not get it all, but he was extremely enthusiastic about the character. The two others did not share his enthusiasm and had their minds on whether TLJ went too far in terms of expanding the force rules. Anyhow, I was surprised to hear such enthusiasm from a young guy.
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsWindu on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 10:54 am

Just saw this tucked in with this months Empire review of TLJ - hope you can read it

MrsWindu
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Men on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 11:09 am

[quote="SoloSideCousin"]
@MrsWindu wrote:Given the ‘disparity’ in critics rating and what’s been going down on a certain site Anthony Breznican felt the need to write this article : The Last Jedi: A Force push against the backlash

http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/22/star-wars-the-last-jedi-backlash-reaction/

This article makes a lot of good points ... but OMG, once again total cluelessness on Reylo! She wasn't attracted during the Shirtless Scene????????? If she wasn't attracted she wouldn't care if he was shirtless!!!!!!! Even in the half-way intelligent the cluelessness has no bounds.

@SoloSideCousin

Yeah, I laughed and quit reading.

Kylo Men
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by madeinmn on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 11:33 am

@Kylo Men wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@MrsWindu wrote:Given the ‘disparity’ in critics rating and what’s been going down on a certain site Anthony Breznican felt the need to write this article : The Last Jedi: A Force push against the backlash

http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/22/star-wars-the-last-jedi-backlash-reaction/

This article makes a lot of good points ... but OMG, once again total cluelessness on Reylo! She wasn't attracted during the Shirtless Scene????????? If she wasn't attracted she wouldn't care if he was shirtless!!!!!!! Even in the half-way intelligent the cluelessness has no bounds.

@SoloSideCousin

Yeah, I laughed and quit reading.

@Kylo Men

LOL I love how every time one of these journalist insist that "no, no, nothing intimate/romantic here, move along" in the Reylo scenes, another article quoting Rian comes along with fabulously delicious quotes, that tell a different story. Sorry Mr. Breznican, your take on the shirtless scene, yeah no....not "roommate-like"Wink From People, Rian specifically wanted to show off Adams toned body because of all the training he was doing...and so he chose to do in a Ben/Rey Force scene, because, like, why wouldn't you???  Claps From People:

http://people.com/movies/adam-driver-shirtless-scene-star-wars-last-jedi/

madeinmn
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 11:38 am

@LesCousinsDangereux wrote:
@Kessel wrote:
@ZioRen wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@ZioRen wrote:How the HECK are people not getting the shirtless scene or reading it as disgust or disinterest? That whole thing is based on a very unsubtle and very obvious trope that anyone who has seen any kind of romance flick or teen drama would know and have seen before. I'm honestly baffled at people missing it. 

I swear it's just because Adam isn't conventionally attractive. I feel like if he was some supreme prettyboy, nobody would be missing the point of that scene.
@ZioRen

That, and the high-waisted pants aren't helping.  I know a few people who saw it as a comedy scene because of the pants, as ridiculous as that sounds. Like I've heard someone make a "Kylo Ren wears grandpa pants!" crack.
@ISeeAnIsland

I'll admit that the pants were an odd and unflattering choice, but still. Sheesh, people!
@ZioRen

Yeah, the choice of pants will always be a mystery that will baffle me, but the point of the scene still stands. It does not lose any of its significance because of the pants.

Perhaps some of these people were left uncomfortable with the implications...laughing at something distracts from and relieves discomfort.

As regards the high-waisted pants it did seem to me a strange choice. I wondered about it, and my guess is, it could be because of Kylo’s wound from Chewie’s bowcaster. As far as injuries go the one they wanted to show us is the scar on his face (which looks great, plus Rey gave it to him  Smile ). In this scene he needs to look attractive, and lower-waisted pants would show a big scar/mark from that wound, which would create confusion to us [audience] and Rey: are we supposed to see him as sexy, or feel empathy for him remembering he had been wounded? Since they were going for the 1st, they likely decided to cover the area with high-waisted pants. If he had lower-waisted pants and no scar from that injury people would say it is a continuity error and where is the mark from that wound? The smaller injury on his face did leave a scar despite medical treatment, and the bowcaster shot was not a just slash but torn apart a part of his lower abdomen .  

That is the only explanation I can think of, and maybe it is completely baseless. Who knows.
@LesCousinsDangereux

That's actually a really interesting point and it may have played a factor in the pants choice.

This is just me, but seeing the bow caster wound on Kylo wouldn't have made him any less sexy to me and I already feel empathy for him. I actually think it would have been interesting for them to mix the sexiness with the vulnerability (that's a lot of Kylo's appeal), especially if the point was to make Kylo more human and increase the intimacy of the scene.

At any rate, he had enough scarring with the face and shoulder so maybe they thought that was enough. Btw, I don't know if I imagined it, but I think he had an additional scar: a circular scar on the left side of his upper chest? All of Kylo's other scarring was on the right side of his body so was that also from the snow fight? I don't think Adam has this scar so it must be Kylo's (unless I imagined it)...

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 11:40 am

@Kessel

He for sure has a circle-shaped scar on his other shoulder that I was wondering about too. Is that supposed to be from when Finn got in his lucky hit? Because I thought that was more of a swipe than a stab.
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MyOnlyHope on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 11:42 am

@Kessel Yes, that circular scar is from when Rey stabbed him just below his left shoulder. It happens just after she channels the force. He should also have a scar on his upper arm from Finn, but I don't think the angle would make that one visible.

Last edited by MyOnlyHope on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
MyOnlyHope
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 11:44 am

@MyOnlyHope wrote:@Kessel Yes, that circular scar is from when Rey stabbed him just below his left shoulder. He should also have a scar on his right upper arm from Finn.
@MyOnlyHope

I started thinking that was the case and was just about to rewatch the snow fight to see for sure.

So we see all the scars Rey gave him.

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 11:46 am

The blinders when it comes to Rey and Kylo are just ridiculous at this stage. It doesn't matter if you're a professional journalist or not, get your facts straight before trying to shove your own stupid interpretations into something. We have Mark "romantic tension" Hamill and Rian "romantic drama" Johnson confirming exactly what Rian was going for. End of story.
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 11:46 am

Also, I was sort of upset to see them cover that bowcaster wound. I think seeing the extent of that would have been useful, since some fanboys whined that the wound wasn't bad enough to justify Kylo losing to a girl.

At the same time, I see why they didn't go there. They wanted the scene to be hot, not a reminder for Rey of how much Kylo got butchered in TFA. Though that would have been an incredibly intimate moment all its own if she expressed discomfort and sympathy over the extent of his wounds. Maybe even superior to a "he's hot" scene in terms of building feelings between Rey and Kylo. 

Then again, with how dense people are acting, they never would have gotten that Rey is supposed to be attracted to Kylo if they'd presented the shirtless scene in any other way. Heck, some people still aren't getting it.
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 12:01 pm

Just read an interesting New Yorker article. It meanders a bit and I am not sure if I agree with all of it, but there was an interesting bit of information in it. The article says that LF has eight movies in development.

If we count Black Diamond and Solo and Rian's new trilogy, that leaves us with three unknown movies. I know that there was talk of a Kenobi movie, but that does seem to have fallen off the radar ... but assuming that Kenobi is happening, what are the other two? Ben and Rey Make Out Parts 1 and 2? Lol. I joke, but if this eight movie thing is actually true, I wonder what else they have out there.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/why-are-all-star-wars-movies-the-same
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 12:08 pm

The People article was funny. It is obvious that the journalist didn't see Adams work in Girls if that person thought he would be embarrassed by a shirtless scene. Adam, in my opinion, is pretty fearless actor.

Birdwoman
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 12:35 pm

Did anyone else notice this?
One of the scenes that fans did not expect to see in Star Wars: The Last Jedi is what writer/director Rian Johnson calls its “beefcake” moment

Obviously he must've read Kyle whatshisface's Tweets. That title spread pretty quickly around here too. He follows this stuff enough to know that the Fathiers were called "space horses" for many months by fans. Laughing

Where are you, Rian?

FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 12:50 pm

The shirtless scene does it’s job. It causes weird intimacy between Kylo and Rey and shows that despite his emo meltdowns, he is a MAN underneath. I’m guessing this improved his image with guys who thought he wasn’t masculine enough in TFA Rolling Eyes
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 1:02 pm

That Kyle dude was absolutely SHOOK by shirtless Kylo. He tweeted about it multiple times and even asked Kelly about it in their interview. I think somebody needs to go check on him.  Laughing
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 1:49 pm

Over the last two years, my friend and I would joke about Kylo going shirtless in Episode 8. We are a big fan of his role in girls. I told her they would never do that Star Wars! hahaha! I am so glad I was wrong.

The sensuality in this film is so well done and I am enjoying them building the relationship between them slowly and giving each their agency.

Birdwoman
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 3:20 pm

@Birdwoman wrote:Over the last two years, my friend and I would joke about Kylo going shirtless in Episode 8. We are a big fan of his role in girls. I told her they would never do that Star Wars! hahaha! I am so glad I was wrong.

The sensuality in this film is so well done and I am enjoying them building the relationship between them slowly and giving each their agency.
@Birdwoman

I remember a while back, someone tweeted Matt Martin and asked or suggested that we get a Shirtless Kylo Ren scene in TLJ, and if I recall correctly, Matt responded with a shirtless Adam Driver pic. (I've been looking for the tweet but haven't been able to find it...)
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 3:27 pm

Speaking of the fanboy tears and hate that is flowing around these days: here's a nice article about the fans reaction from 1980 to ESB.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/heres-how-fans-reacted-to-the-empire-strikes-back-in-19-1821551259

The best part:

C’mon Leia, why don’t you take a look around? Can’t you see what Luke is up against? You could have a “nice guy” like him. Instead, you are turning your back on him. Forget that it was Luke that saved you from having your atoms scattered throughout the galaxy. Forget that it was Luke, and not Han Solo, that wanted you rescued from the Death Star detention area. But you don’t need to remember all that, Leia. As long as hot-lips Han is around, who needs Luke anyway?

Sounds familiar? lol!
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 3:30 pm

I loved the Vader denial comments...haha

Birdwoman
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Blood Moon on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 4:04 pm

@Darth_Awakened wrote:Speaking of the fanboy tears and hate that is flowing around these days: here's a nice article about the fans reaction from 1980 to ESB.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/heres-how-fans-reacted-to-the-empire-strikes-back-in-19-1821551259

The best part:

C’mon Leia, why don’t you take a look around? Can’t you see what Luke is up against? You could have a “nice guy” like him. Instead, you are turning your back on him. Forget that it was Luke that saved you from having your atoms scattered throughout the galaxy. Forget that it was Luke, and not Han Solo, that wanted you rescued from the Death Star detention area. But you don’t need to remember all that, Leia. As long as hot-lips Han is around, who needs Luke anyway?

Sounds familiar? lol!
@Darth_Awakened

This is really funny, nothing has changed really, only the interwebs where everyone can express their opinion without much effort.

I love you! I know! This is the best line since "My dear, I don't give a damn"
I love you! I know! This is not funny and infuriating, someone should tell Harrison Ford this is not acceptable.

Hahaha I love it.
Blood Moon
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 6:09 pm

@Darth_Awakened wrote:Speaking of the fanboy tears and hate that is flowing around these days: here's a nice article about the fans reaction from 1980 to ESB.

The best part:

Sounds familiar? lol!
@Darth_Awakened

Good find! This is hilarious! The complaint about Leia picking "hot-lips " Han over "nice guy" Luke feels very familiar.

Goes to show fandom has always been hard to please. The rest of the article and the one it links to are equally funny. I also laughed at the person who found Han's "I know" infuriating, people complaining about the movie's pacing and the person who wondered how a space slug could survive on an asteroid without a food source, or how the Falcon could get from the Hoth system to the Bespin system when the hyperdrive is broken.

Back to top Go down

Post by shii405 on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 6:20 pm

@Kessel wrote:Goes to show fandom has always been hard to please. The rest of the article and the one it links to are equally funny. I also laughed at the person who found Han's "I know" infuriating, people complaining about the movie's pacing and the person who wondered how a space slug could survive on an asteroid without a food source, or how the Falcon could get from the Hoth system to the Bespin system when the hyperdrive is broken.
@Kessel

To think "I love you, I know" have become couple mugs set 40 years later.

Cannot wait for "You're not alone, neither are you" couple mugs bounce
shii405
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 6:31 pm

@shii405 wrote:
@Kessel wrote:Goes to show fandom has always been hard to please. The rest of the article and the one it links to are equally funny. I also laughed at the person who found Han's "I know" infuriating, people complaining about the movie's pacing and the person who wondered how a space slug could survive on an asteroid without a food source, or how the Falcon could get from the Hoth system to the Bespin system when the hyperdrive is broken.
@Kessel

To think "I love you, I know" have become couple mugs set 40 years later.

Cannot wait for "You're not alone, neither are you" couple mugs bounce
@shii405

Sign me up for the coffee mug that says, “You’re nothing, but not to me.” Laughing

IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14 ... 25  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum