The Last Jedi: Professional Reviews, Articles

Page 4 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14 ... 25  Next

Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: Professional Reviews, Articles

Post by Kylo Men on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 6:35 pm

@madeinmn wrote:
@Kylo Men wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@MrsWindu wrote:Given the ‘disparity’ in critics rating and what’s been going down on a certain site Anthony Breznican felt the need to write this article : The Last Jedi: A Force push against the backlash

http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/22/star-wars-the-last-jedi-backlash-reaction/

This article makes a lot of good points ... but OMG, once again total cluelessness on Reylo! She wasn't attracted during the Shirtless Scene????????? If she wasn't attracted she wouldn't care if he was shirtless!!!!!!! Even in the half-way intelligent the cluelessness has no bounds.

@SoloSideCousin

Yeah, I laughed and quit reading.

@Kylo Men

LOL I love how every time one of these journalist insist that "no, no, nothing intimate/romantic here, move along" in the Reylo scenes, another article quoting Rian comes along with fabulously delicious quotes, that tell a different story. Sorry Mr. Breznican, your take on the shirtless scene, yeah no....not "roommate-like"Wink From People, Rian specifically wanted to show off Adams toned body because of all the training he was doing...and so he chose to do in a Ben/Rey Force scene, because, like, why wouldn't you???  Claps From People:

http://people.com/movies/adam-driver-shirtless-scene-star-wars-last-jedi/
@madeinmn

I don't think many people are denying it. A few are. And it's strange. Because, for instance, what is Kylo's motivation to kill Snoke, if he's not hot for Rey? He doesn't really have a good one.

Kylo Men
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Men on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 6:38 pm

@Darth_Awakened wrote:Speaking of the fanboy tears and hate that is flowing around these days: here's a nice article about the fans reaction from 1980 to ESB.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/heres-how-fans-reacted-to-the-empire-strikes-back-in-19-1821551259

The best part:

C’mon Leia, why don’t you take a look around? Can’t you see what Luke is up against? You could have a “nice guy” like him. Instead, you are turning your back on him. Forget that it was Luke that saved you from having your atoms scattered throughout the galaxy. Forget that it was Luke, and not Han Solo, that wanted you rescued from the Death Star detention area. But you don’t need to remember all that, Leia. As long as hot-lips Han is around, who needs Luke anyway?

Sounds familiar? lol!
@Darth_Awakened

People think Rey should have agency. As long as she chooses a guy from their approved list.

Kylo Men
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 7:00 pm

@ZioRen wrote:Also, I was sort of upset to see them cover that bowcaster wound. I think seeing the extent of that would have been useful, since some fanboys whined that the wound wasn't bad enough to justify Kylo losing to a girl.
@ZioRen

Guys I could see the bowcaster scar. It was white bottom left just above the hem of his pants. Others didn't see it?
You could only see it when the light was just so.
Gosh maybe I'm mistaken. I'll just have to take a really really close look next time Wink ahem. for research purposes...
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee on Sat 23 Dec 2017, 7:12 pm

@Kylo Men wrote:

I don't think many people are denying it. A few are. And it's strange. Because, for instance, what is Kylo's motivation to kill Snoke, if he's not hot for Rey? He doesn't really have a good one.
@Kylo Men

My take on Kylo killing Snoke? Kylo had multiple motivations for killing Snoke - it was not just to save Rey, though I agree he was also hot for her Wink
He was totally over being Snoke's apprentice and being trapped.. not even owning his own mind.. being castigated, tortured and hit with force lightning.. with being asked to give up everything for snoke only to find it was never good enough... Even going through with killing his own father had not been enough!!!!! He was fed up with being treated like a child and humiliated..
Attempting to rush at Snoke in the first throne room scene showed this.. Kylo wanted his agency back.. but couldn't figure out yet how to get it.. till Rey.. and the vision.. then I think he knew she was part of the answer. [Not that he went into the Throne room with her and a fully formed plan - he could not have, or Snoke would have seen it]

I think he wanted to kill him for ages and Snoke knew it too.. but Snoke believed Kylo could never do it because he could read his thoughts. [wrong! Wink ]
Rey turning up to help Ben gave him opportunity while Snoke was distracted and over-confident because he thought he had played Kylo just so with the force bond stuff and Snoke was extremely pleased with Kylo for bringing Rey to him.

Not killing Rey was a great motivation! But.. there were other deeply rooted motivations for Kylo wanting to kill Snoke also.
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sun 24 Dec 2017, 1:10 am

snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Sun 24 Dec 2017, 4:02 am

I like this article. They also voice concerns but in a respectful and thoughtful way.

The part on JJ is what worries me a bit for IX. My glass-half-empty self does want a happy ending because it’s SW and my heart is still bleeding from TLJ, but less black and white than RoTJ please. Mind you, I love RotJ. Leia strangling that slimy Jabba is hands down one of my favorite SW scenes ever and now her son joined the list with slicing old perv Snoke - actually her son completely messed up my top SW favorite scene list now.

https://www.wired.com/2017/12/geeks-guide-last-jedi/

ETA: this is a nice summary of the major spoilers. Neutral and aimed at the GA. Yeah, poor Ackbar...

https://movieweb.com/star-wars-last-jedi-spoilers-secrets-easter-eggs/

SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Sun 24 Dec 2017, 5:50 am

Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by guardienne on Sun 24 Dec 2017, 5:52 pm

this is sort of vaguely professional.
guardienne
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 on Mon 25 Dec 2017, 5:49 am

How time have changed! Now, a French article highlights that Kylo is the last remnant of the Skywalker family and potentially the centre of gravity of the franchise

http://www.rtl.fr/culture/super/star-wars-8-kylo-ren-est-il-le-centre-de-gravite-de-la-saga-7791512682
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by guardienne on Mon 25 Dec 2017, 2:38 pm

http://brightlightsfilm.com/last-jedi-enjoying-corporate-cinemas-quasi-risks-last/#.WkFf9CPkQ2x

Johnson’s is a Frankenstein monster of half-interesting ideas and tyrannical narrative demands. We still don’t understand why or how the First Order functions, or from where its Lord of the Rings­-inspired leader Snoke arose. We’re given no reason to care about characters like Finn (John Boyega) or Poe (Oscar Isaac) – sure, the actors are charming and charismatic, but what of the roles themselves? Who the hell are these people? And in what way do their shadowy, unaddressed character arcs relate to the baseless central conflict? Why should I care if they resist the First Order when I still don’t even remotely understand said organization’s origins or motives? The only times Last Jedi ever comes alive are when it spends time with Rey (Daisy Ridley), Kylo Ren (Adam Driver), and Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill). Unlike Abrams, Rian Johnson is clearly a visually astute director with an eye for composition, camera movement, and editing technique. When he puts that formal intelligence toward scenes with purpose and pulse, the results are occasionally downright exciting. No, the film never rises above the level of exciting fan fiction, but there are fleeting moments of beauty: consider the gracefully choreographed combat sequence pitting Rey and Kylo against Snoke’s throne room guards, or the long-distance Force conversations between Rey and Kylo that play like mystic Skype calls. Although Hamill has voiced his confusion and disagreement with the disjunction between Lucas’s Luke and Disney’s Luke, he also enjoys some moments of quiet power. I pine for some alternate version of this film that’s much shorter, more focused, more psychedelic, and genuinely strange.
guardienne
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Mon 25 Dec 2017, 3:51 pm

@reylo1992 wrote:How time have changed! Now, a French article highlights that Kylo is the last remnant of the Skywalker family and potentially the centre of gravity of the franchise

http://www.rtl.fr/culture/super/star-wars-8-kylo-ren-est-il-le-centre-de-gravite-de-la-saga-7791512682
@reylo1992

can someone translate the relevant part?
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by shii405 on Mon 25 Dec 2017, 9:57 pm

Ameteurish translation of a Japanese article  Very Happy

The "Shocking" SW topped Box Office Chart for 2 weeks and Received Split Reactions!
Even so, What have made the Audience really Drawn to "The Last Jedi?"

translated by shii405

"The Last Jedi" is the 2nd movie of the new SW trilogy, the sequel to "The Force Awakens." Last weekend, it stayed at the top of Japan's Movie Ranking for the 2nd week, reaching a total of 2.11 million viewers and a total of 3.2 billion yen sales (28 million USD). Just like "The Force Awakens" which grossed a total of 11.6 billion yen (112 million USD), the movie has created another "SW Phenomenon" in Japan, no, the whole world. However, although right before the release, many critics claimed it as a "great masterpiece," fans reactions equally split into two.

It has Filled the Whole World with Excitement equal to "The Force Awakens"

Released on December 15 in Japan, it reached 1 million viewer  and a total of 1.6 billion yen (14 million USD) in the first 4 days weekend including the night showing before release day. It is obviously the Winter's No.1 opening sales. Last weekend, with the Emperor's birthday and Christmas eve as holidays, the stream hasn't stopped on the 2nd week and its rival "Youkai Watch the Movie" can't even hold it back and it became No. 1 for two weeks straight. It has reached 2,119,325 viewers in 10 days. A total of 3.2 billion sales (by Dec 24). As we are getting close to the year-end holidays, there is no doubt it will still keep its momentum. The number for this movie is totally on par with "The Force Awakens."

In the US, it was also released on December 15 and broke record of No.2 highest opening sales of all time, a total of 200 million US dollar. It topped box office for 2 weeks straight. It has created excitement equal to "The Force Awakens" which had No. 1 highest opening sales of all time.

The main reason is the expansion of the fans range. There were teens and audience in their 20s who stepped into the Star Wars world for the first time when "The Force Awakens" was released. Two generations (parents and children, or maybe 3 generation?!) of families watching the movie have increased. It has attracted such a wide range of audience that only a long running series can do. Currently, the "Shocking Star Wars Exhibition" in Nippon Television, in Shiodome, Tokyo, is fully packed with visitors. The number of visitors on December 22-24 have reached 6000 people. The exhibition is popular because it has VR game and stamp corner that can only be experienced in Japan.

Furthermore, the movie will be released in IMAX 3D starting December 29, and the "Dark Side version" of MX4D and 4DX will start January 5, also with variety of special prizes that comes with the tickets. There is no doubt there will be more audience who go and watch the movie more than once.

Split Reactions on whether or not Star Wars should be Restricted to a Certain Pattern

Just how "Episode 4 - A New Hope" and "Episode 5 - Empire Strikes Back" excites the young generation in that era, this movie has excited the new young generation as well. However, there is split reaction mostly coming from the long time fans. In the US, there are fans starting a petition to remove "The Last Jedi" from SW canon, as they were so shocked by the movie.

Writer and director, Rian Johnson, created a new story on the Force, Jedi and the legendary Luke Skywalker. It's not really a surprise that there are fans who wouldn't be able to agree to it. To think of it, back then, when it was revealed in "Empire Strikes Back" that the Dark Side villain, Darth Vader, is the father of "the new hope" Luke, it shocked the whole world too.

Of course, there are many people who love the shocking parts of the movie, too. It has character growth for Rey, Finn, Kylo Ren and the others. There are also many touching scenes like the reunion between Luke and Leia, the original cast. Especially since Carrie Fisher passed away on December 27, this movie is her last movie. As Han Solo died in "The Force Awakens" there is no way for the three original cast to appear together on the screen anymore. That might be one of the reasons for fans to watch this movie repeatedly to memorize all the best scenes. A "guest" appearance from the original trilogy will also surely be a pleasant surprise for the audience.

Some of the reactions for "The Last Jedi" are "What does this mean?" "So what is the shocking revelation in The Last Jedi?" it might have invite more interests in people who is still waiting for initial reactions. Be it pros or cons, once you read both sides' opinions, read review articles and find out there is a cameo appearance by Prince William and Prince Harry  as well as Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Surely, you would want to go and watch it, at least once.

So Many Charming New Characters! A Lot of Humor too

One of the popular characters from TFA, BB-8 is very active in this movie, sometimes as Poe Dameron's sidekick, sometimes going on a journey together with Finn and Rose. The new cute creature, Porg, who become Chewbacca's sidekick (?) have become really popular too. Unexpectedly, the movie has many funny moments that the new fans can relate to.

A Vietnamese-American actress, Kelly Marie Tran, has been casted to play a new character, Rose, the Resistance engineer. And, Veronica Ngo plays her sister, Paige. Many non Force user characters become prominent in the story.

Audience fell into the Darkness of Kylo Ren/Adam Driver, One after Another!?

What concerns us the most in this movie, though, is... Who is Rey? Her growth as a Jedi, and how Kylo Ren and her are like two sides of the same coin. This is suppose to be a movie about these two on opposite sides making choices between the Light and Dark, but many of the Rey and Kylo Ren's scenes makes the audience think "Huh? Is this a 'munekyun' movie?" and they even showed us a scene of shirtless Kylo Ren.

(“Munekyun” situations makes Japanese women hearts flutter. For more info about "munekyun" http://news.rastro.jp/japanese-culture/8517)

Both Rey and Kylo Ren, whose real name is Ben, are frustrated and feeling troubled about their identity and they are searching their own place in the world. They both understand each other's loneliness. They are opposing each other but also thinking they are the only ones who can understand each other. They keep saying "I know you better than anyone else!" If you check Twitter, you will see comments that their moments together are on par with the munekyun romance movies nowadays. Many audience feels "dokidoki"(fast heart beat) about their relationship.

Not to mention, one of the highlights, was when Rey and Kylo Ren fighting together, it will make your hands sweat in excitement. And then, Kylo Ren stretched out his hand to Rey saying "Please" which is most likely his true feelings. It's as if he was saying "I can fight as long as I'm with you" !

Adam Driver, who plays Kylo Ren, looks tall and sturdy just like Darth Vader, and yet, though in contrast with his blond and blue-eyes uncle Luke, we can see anxiety, sorrow, fear in his eyes from the beginning to the end. As we see how he just cannot fall completely to the Dark side, it could really stimulate our maternal instinct.

This year, Adam stars "Silence" directed by Martin Scorsese, a movie adapted from Endo Shusaku's novel, "Paterson" directed by Jim Jarmusch with Nagase Masatoshi as co-star, and "Logan Lucky" directed by Steven Soderbergh playing as Channing Tatum's younger brother, and he played every character differently. He can play characters from a troubled missionary to Kylo Ren. Many audience drawn by his delicate acting skill.

We can hear more comments saying "Kylo Ren is too beautiful" "Adam Driver's acting is the best" "I like him even more now" and some even says "The movie is divisive, but Adam's Kylo Ren shouldn't be"

With this SW 2nd movie, Disney really delivers a variety of shocks.

source: http://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/14080230/

The writer totally lost it when she described Kylo "Please" moment, she suddenly became a Reylo fangirl, LOL.
shii405
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 on Mon 25 Dec 2017, 10:06 pm

@shii405 lmao I know I was like damnn she hit it!!

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine on Tue 26 Dec 2017, 12:28 am

@shii405 hahahaha oh that Dokidoki part. Yes it totally made my heart go dokidoki.
Oh man, the Japanese really don't do fangirling in halves. Awesome translation btw!
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Atenais on Tue 26 Dec 2017, 2:12 pm

@shii405 wrote:Ameteurish translation of a Japanese article  Very Happy

The "Shocking" SW topped Box Office Chart for 2 weeks and Received Split Reactions!
Even so, What have made the Audience really Drawn to "The Last Jedi?"

translated by shii405

"The Last Jedi" is the 2nd movie of the new SW trilogy, the sequel to "The Force Awakens." Last weekend, it stayed at the top of Japan's Movie Ranking for the 2nd week, reaching a total of 2.11 million viewers and a total of 3.2 billion yen sales (28 million USD). Just like "The Force Awakens" which grossed a total of 11.6 billion yen (112 million USD), the movie has created another "SW Phenomenon" in Japan, no, the whole world. However, although right before the release, many critics claimed it as a "great masterpiece," fans reactions equally split into two.

It has Filled the Whole World with Excitement equal to "The Force Awakens"

Released on December 15 in Japan, it reached 1 million viewer  and a total of 1.6 billion yen (14 million USD) in the first 4 days weekend including the night showing before release day. It is obviously the Winter's No.1 opening sales. Last weekend, with the Emperor's birthday and Christmas eve as holidays, the stream hasn't stopped on the 2nd week and its rival "Youkai Watch the Movie" can't even hold it back and it became No. 1 for two weeks straight. It has reached 2,119,325 viewers in 10 days. A total of 3.2 billion sales (by Dec 24). As we are getting close to the year-end holidays, there is no doubt it will still keep its momentum. The number for this movie is totally on par with "The Force Awakens."

In the US, it was also released on December 15 and broke record of No.2 highest opening sales of all time, a total of 200 million US dollar. It topped box office for 2 weeks straight. It has created excitement equal to "The Force Awakens" which had No. 1 highest opening sales of all time.

The main reason is the expansion of the fans range. There were teens and audience in their 20s who stepped into the Star Wars world for the first time when "The Force Awakens" was released. Two generations (parents and children, or maybe 3 generation?!) of families watching the movie have increased. It has attracted such a wide range of audience that only a long running series can do. Currently, the "Shocking Star Wars Exhibition" in Nippon Television, in Shiodome, Tokyo, is fully packed with visitors. The number of visitors on December 22-24 have reached 6000 people. The exhibition is popular because it has VR game and stamp corner that can only be experienced in Japan.

Furthermore, the movie will be released in IMAX 3D starting December 29, and the "Dark Side version" of MX4D and 4DX will start January 5, also with variety of special prizes that comes with the tickets. There is no doubt there will be more audience who go and watch the movie more than once.

Split Reactions on whether or not Star Wars should be Restricted to a Certain Pattern

Just how "Episode 4 - A New Hope" and "Episode 5 - Empire Strikes Back" excites the young generation in that era, this movie has excited the new young generation as well. However, there is split reaction mostly coming from the long time fans. In the US, there are fans starting a petition to remove "The Last Jedi" from SW canon, as they were so shocked by the movie.

Writer and director, Rian Johnson, created a new story on the Force, Jedi and the legendary Luke Skywalker. It's not really a surprise that there are fans who wouldn't be able to agree to it. To think of it, back then, when it was revealed in "Empire Strikes Back" that the Dark Side villain, Darth Vader, is the father of "the new hope" Luke, it shocked the whole world too.

Of course, there are many people who love the shocking parts of the movie, too. It has character growth for Rey, Finn, Kylo Ren and the others. There are also many touching scenes like the reunion between Luke and Leia, the original cast. Especially since Carrie Fisher passed away on December 27, this movie is her last movie. As Han Solo died in "The Force Awakens" there is no way for the three original cast to appear together on the screen anymore. That might be one of the reasons for fans to watch this movie repeatedly to memorize all the best scenes. A "guest" appearance from the original trilogy will also surely be a pleasant surprise for the audience.

Some of the reactions for "The Last Jedi" are "What does this mean?" "So what is the shocking revelation in The Last Jedi?" it might have invite more interests in people who is still waiting for initial reactions. Be it pros or cons, once you read both sides' opinions, read review articles and find out there is a cameo appearance by Prince William and Prince Harry  as well as Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Surely, you would want to go and watch it, at least once.

So Many Charming New Characters! A Lot of Humor too

One of the popular characters from TFA, BB-8 is very active in this movie, sometimes as Poe Dameron's sidekick, sometimes going on a journey together with Finn and Rose. The new cute creature, Porg, who become Chewbacca's sidekick (?) have become really popular too. Unexpectedly, the movie has many funny moments that the new fans can relate to.

A Vietnamese-American actress, Kelly Marie Tran, has been casted to play a new character, Rose, the Resistance engineer. And, Veronica Ngo plays her sister, Paige. Many non Force user characters become prominent in the story.

Audience fell into the Darkness of Kylo Ren/Adam Driver, One after Another!?

What concerns us the most in this movie, though, is... Who is Rey? Her growth as a Jedi, and how Kylo Ren and her are like two sides of the same coin. This is suppose to be a movie about these two on opposite sides making choices between the Light and Dark, but many of the Rey and Kylo Ren's scenes makes the audience think "Huh? Is this a 'munekyun' movie?" and they even showed us a scene of shirtless Kylo Ren.

(“Munekyun” situations makes Japanese women hearts flutter. For more info about "munekyun" http://news.rastro.jp/japanese-culture/8517)

Both Rey and Kylo Ren, whose real name is Ben, are frustrated and feeling troubled about their identity and they are searching their own place in the world. They both understand each other's loneliness. They are opposing each other but also thinking they are the only ones who can understand each other. They keep saying "I know you better than anyone else!" If you check Twitter, you will see comments that their moments together are on par with the munekyun romance movies nowadays. Many audience feels "dokidoki"(fast heart beat) about their relationship.

Not to mention, one of the highlights, was when Rey and Kylo Ren fighting together, it will make your hands sweat in excitement. And then, Kylo Ren stretched out his hand to Rey saying "Please" which is most likely his true feelings. It's as if he was saying "I can fight as long as I'm with you" !

Adam Driver, who plays Kylo Ren, looks tall and sturdy just like Darth Vader, and yet, though in contrast with his blond and blue-eyes uncle Luke, we can see anxiety, sorrow, fear in his eyes from the beginning to the end. As we see how he just cannot fall completely to the Dark side, it could really stimulate our maternal instinct.

This year, Adam stars "Silence" directed by Martin Scorsese, a movie adapted from Endo Shusaku's novel, "Paterson" directed by Jim Jarmusch with Nagase Masatoshi as co-star, and "Logan Lucky" directed by Steven Soderbergh playing as Channing Tatum's younger brother, and he played every character differently. He can play characters from a troubled missionary to Kylo Ren. Many audience drawn by his delicate acting skill.

We can hear more comments saying "Kylo Ren is too beautiful" "Adam Driver's acting is the best" "I like him even more now" and some even says "The movie is divisive, but Adam's Kylo Ren shouldn't be"

With this SW 2nd movie, Disney really delivers a variety of shocks.

source: http://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/14080230/

The writer totally lost it when she described Kylo "Please" moment, she suddenly became a Reylo fangirl, LOL.
@shii405

My heart went dokidoki reading the last part, about Adam Driver. ♥️

I was listening a Brazilian podcast from 4 nerd boys and I was really happy because their opinion about the movie was great and they really liked Kylo Ren (and they praised Adam's actuation to the skies).
Atenais
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

https://parthenoninruins.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 26 Dec 2017, 3:38 pm

Dokidoki may be my new favorite expression! And this is a good one because it gets to the heart of what Luke's problem was and how it set up everything to fall apart. Rey's the only person to break the cycle and get out from under these type of relationships. The bit at the end about Ben/Kylo - that's part of where it all goes wrong. He helps her break free finally from the trap she's been in thanks to her parents' addiction issues and then tries to trap her into a relationship that'd be driven by his own issues.

THE LAST JEDI FINALLY DEALS WITH STAR WARS’ MOST TOXIC RELATIONSHIP

in its quieter and more intimate moments Rian Johnson’s gorgeous film finally deals with one of the most troubling aspects of the Star Wars universe: the abusive relationships between student and master that so much of the galaxy seems to hinge on.

From Obi-Wan and Yoda’s insistence to keep Luke in the dark about the identity of his father (lest we forget that Yoda literally died to protect that secret) whom they both wanted him to kill, to Palpatine’s desperate manipulations of Anakin that led to the fall of the galaxy and the death of his beloved Padmé, Star Wars movie canon is filled with destructive relationships that almost always seem to end in tragedy. These partnerships have become so iconic in their strangeness that they’re a cultural touchstone all of their own, with many fans wondering (half jokingly) out loud whether Obi-Wan and Yoda are just as bad as their Dark Side counterparts due to their constant “necessary” lies.

The historic importance of a student and their master has long defined the galaxy far, far away as we know it, with almost every important character being a part of one of these codependent-at-best and horribly-abusive-at-worst relationships. From Anakin to Dooku to Savage to Maul to Luke to Ahsoka, every one of your favorite characters has been a part of this galactic power structure which seems to ultimately do more harm than good. So it was unbelievably refreshing to see Rian Johnson truly explore and question this longstanding problem within the Star Wars universe.

It’s rare that emotionally abusive relationships are explored in pop culture, let alone in a Disney franchise like Star Wars. But in the quieter and more intimate moments of The Last Jedi, Johnson delved right into the heart of the impact of these tempestuous and often destiny-defining relationships. It’s a brave decision to hold beloved characters like Luke accountable and to use them as cyphers for this groundbreaking exploration.
Luke is a product of the abusive cycle of the Jedi. At a young age, he was trained to fight in a war he knew barely anything about. He was lied to, indoctrinated, and manipulated to kill his own father. So it’s hardly surprising that when he sees his young nephew unbelievably strong with the Force, he can’t think of anything other than training him and securing his legacy as a Jedi master. Such is the nature of abusive relationships; we often can’t help but repeat them, or at the very least find it incredibly hard to leave them.

Luke’s relationship with the Jedi order is a complex one, and yet when we find him at the beginning of The Last Jedi he seems to have finally extricated himself from the organization that’s caused him so much pain. And what was it that finally allowed him to cut himself off from the Jedi? His own abuse of his former student and nephew Ben Solo, of course. Luke could barely stand to see what his momentary lapse in faith had wrought on his nephew and the galaxy. The reality of Luke’s moment of weakness is that it was simply that, a moment. But to the child who was in his care, who trusted him and needed his guidance, all Ben saw was the man who was supposed to guide him instead about to strike him down with a lightsaber.

Kylo’s relationship with Snoke is another perfect example of the insidious nature of the student/teacher relationship. Snoke is the most directly abusive mentor we’ve seen in Star Wars, constantly gas-lighting Kylo, insulting him, building him up, and even utilizing his connection with Rey as a way to try and control his young charge. Just like Luke, Snoke is driven by a need to harness the power of Kylo. But unlike anyone before him, Kylo does something radical by breaking down the world of smoke and mirrors that the Jedi and Sith build around themselves, taking back his own life.

Kylo’s decision to kill Snoke is radical. It explodes our ideas of what power means in the Star Wars universe, and it’s also massively moving to me as a survivor of abuse. That moment shows the humanity of Snoke, that really he’s just one person manipulating another, and just like Palpatine before him he could be taken down by his own arrogance. But this time it was done before the end of his story, before decades of horror. But sadly for Kylo, the cycle of abuse is still strong, and even after he frees himself from his master he can’t help but attempt to engage Rey in a similar relationship. He even attempts to use her lack of lineage to manipulate her into staying with him. Though Kylo claims he wants to end the old order, he can’t help but repeat the same actions and structures he’s spent his whole life surrounded by.

To cement The Last Jedi’s message of critically looking back on the past, Force Ghost Yoda shows up to remind Luke that it’s the master’s burden to watch their student grow beyond them, and to teach failure as well as victory. In the end, it’s Yoda who burns down the remains of the Jedi temple, finally accepting the failures of the religion and teachings he’s passed on over centuries. Returning to Luke’s own master is a beautiful way to recognize and hopefully end the cycle of manipulation that’s infiltrated the galaxy for millennia. The future of the Force no longer relies on tired tropes or ancient texts but on a young woman without parents, an ex-Stormtrooper, a rebel technician, a stable boy and his broom, and an angry young man struggling to find his place in a crumbling world. And the galaxy is all the better for it.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight13 on Tue 26 Dec 2017, 5:59 pm

Does Rey Love Kylo Ren? 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Gives Us Our Answer
Darth Vader once offered Luke to rule the galaxy together as father and son. Kylo Ren offered Rey to rule it together as husband and wife.
lol!
Moonlight13

Back to top Go down

Post by shii405 on Tue 26 Dec 2017, 6:05 pm

@Moonlight13 wrote:Does Rey Love Kylo Ren? 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Gives Us Our Answer
Darth Vader once offered Luke to rule the galaxy together as father and son. Kylo Ren offered Rey to rule it together as husband and wife.
lol!
@Moonlight13

cheers

You know what... What if Rey read the Jedi texts and find out in Jedi religion, a wedding ceremony between two Force users done by holding hands for the first time? And Kylo knew it all along Lolilol
shii405
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by PalmettoBlue on Tue 26 Dec 2017, 6:57 pm

I just listened to Kevin Smith's review (1.5 hours on YouTube.) It was recommended to me by a friend who is a bit more of a general audience member than I am. She's one who wants less symbolism and more straight up, no misinterpreting this. I'm not sure exactly what else she needed from TLJ...but I digress.

My short review of his long review: He liked the movie, but he didn't really delve into any of the themes that are so apparent. And he steered very clear of any in depth discussion of the Force bond, which I think is the most compelling part of the movie. He also wanted Luke to actually be on Crait.

NO. Just NO. Link below if you are interested, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRwmtpr79qE
PalmettoBlue
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

https://palmettosdesk.blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by KnightsofReylo_2015 on Tue 26 Dec 2017, 7:12 pm

@PalmettoBlue wrote:I just listened to Kevin Smith's review (1.5 hours on YouTube.) It was recommended to me by a friend who is a bit more of a general audience member than I am. She's one who wants less symbolism and more straight up, no misinterpreting this. I'm not sure exactly what else she needed from TLJ...but I digress.

My short review of his long review: He liked the movie, but he didn't really delve into any of the themes that are so apparent. And he steered very clear of any in depth discussion of the Force bond, which I think is the most compelling part of the movie. He also wanted Luke to actually be on Crait.

@PalmettoBlue
Yeah, I watched it... scratch  

I just watched this guy's review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXTjsLLK9_Q I
This vid is more of a podcast as it's only audio commentary...and it's long (almost and hour) but I listened to it as I cleaned house/laundry! He has produced some interesting vids in the past about the mythos/hero's journey in Star Wars.  He is also 1000% REYLO, all about reverse Anidala and 1000% guaranteed that Happy "cheesy" "Disney" ending will happen.
KnightsofReylo_2015
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 on Tue 26 Dec 2017, 7:53 pm

@PalmettoBlue wrote:I just listened to Kevin Smith's review (1.5 hours on YouTube.) It was recommended to me by a friend who is a bit more of a general audience member than I am. She's one who wants less symbolism and more straight up, no misinterpreting this. I'm not sure exactly what else she needed from TLJ...but I digress.

@PalmettoBlue

omg yea I listened to this yesterday. So long but it was pretty hilarious. I loved it when he said kylo and rey were talking "like a bunch of f******* teenagers" I died lmao. But yeah he didn't bother to delve into the force bond. And WTH he totally missed mentioning kylo's puppy dog moment at the end. Like come on man...Most of the general review videos are so disappointing. They say the force bond was cool but they don't go deep enough with it's meaning. And meanwhile they have opinions on everything else. Even in the comments, people just talk about everything buy reylo. Like...WAKE UP.
rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Tue 26 Dec 2017, 9:45 pm

@KnightsofReylo_2015 wrote:

@PalmettoBlue

This vid is more of a podcast as it's only audio commentary...and it's long (almost and hour) but I listened to it as I cleaned house/laundry! He has produced some interesting vids in the past about the mythos/hero's journey in Star Wars.  He is also 1000% REYLO, all about reverse Anidala and 1000% guaranteed that Happy "cheesy" "Disney" ending will happen.
@KnightsofReylo_2015

Wayward Jedi is my fave. I find our shared biases so comforting, lol.

I fell asleep listening to Kevin Smith’s review the other day and didn’t feel like going back to it.
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 on Tue 26 Dec 2017, 10:07 pm

@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@KnightsofReylo_2015 wrote:

@PalmettoBlue

@KnightsofReylo_2015

Wayward Jedi is my fave. I find our shared biases so comforting, lol.

I fell asleep listening to Kevin Smith’s review the other day and didn’t feel like going back to it.
@Cowgirlsamurai

There are a few great reylos. I think there's jedi jade? I am waiting for knights of rant?!!  I liked this girl too:
rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by PalmettoBlue on Wed 27 Dec 2017, 7:48 am

@rey09 The Knights if Rant have at least one podcast post-TLJ. But I think CT’s home for the holidays, so no podcasting.
PalmettoBlue
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

https://palmettosdesk.blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Wed 27 Dec 2017, 8:18 am

https://www.vogue.com/article/star-wars-the-last-jedi-review-backlash

As with many superhero-centric narratives, violence serves as a stand-in for sex or any feelings that might be too messy to explain. For all their connection and unspoken lust, Rey and Kylo Ren will never be allowed to tear off each other’s clothes and work out their issues as they might in your local corner of the fan-fic sphere (read: in the sack)—carving through a bunch of Praetorian guards in an admittedly spectacular battle sequence is all the relief they’re going to get.
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14 ... 25  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum