The Last Jedi: Our Reviews and Reactions

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Re: The Last Jedi: Our Reviews and Reactions

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 10:50 am

It all depends on what he does as Renperor, and we are all guessing he will be a pathetic one.
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by whisperingwillow on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 2:14 pm

@PalmettoBlue wrote:I thought that Leia knew he didn’t fire on her and that was, in part, her gut-level motivation to go on...to save herself. If he had fired on her, then I think she’d have just let go.
Her talk at the end was just that - talk. She was at her lowest - none of her allies cared and she was done. She needed to be reminded that hope burns eternal. And Luke did that on several levels, including telling her that “No one’s ever really gone.” Yeah, he could be referencing Han, but since that line comes immediately after a discussion about Ben...it’s mostly about Ben.
I don’t know if he realized Leia and Rey were there...but the Falcon certainly does bring out his most tortured soul.
A friend of mine is really hung up on the “Blow that piece of junk out of the sky.” She’s thinking a Joker/Harley Quinn dynamic. I’m trying to decide how best to refute that.
@PalmettoBlue

Well I mean he is told by Hux that she escaped using Snoke's escape craft so I don't think he has any reason to believe she is in the falcon. Once he knows for sure she is in the falcon at the very end of the film he lets her go.
whisperingwillow

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 2:40 pm

Sigh. I just saw it for a 5th time, with my dad this time (his 3rd time) and he actually argued with me that there is no romance between Ben and Rey. He said he was just being manipulative during the force bond moments and that he'll probably just continue to try to kill them all and destroy her and that he doesn't think Ben can or should be redeemed. Like he really argued with me about it afterwards.
The thing is, he doesn't really hate Kylo, he's a huge fan of Adam and thinks Adam did an amazing job but thinks that there isn't any hope for him.
Suspect scratch Ehem Triste

Also I was sitting next to like a preteen girl and she cheered when Ben killed Snoke, but kept quietly saying "don't do it, don't do it" when Ben offered his hand to Rey. And then she gasped and cheered when Rey and Finn hugged and was like "yessssss"
Dunno idk how I'm gonna be able to get through the next 2 years.
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 3:03 pm

@SheLitAFire: well, my husband is dump as a fish when it comes to subtle romances or sexual tension and even he got it in TLJ. Laughing

Anyway- why do you care about what others are thinking? To quote Kylo's words from TFA "will see" Wink
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 3:45 pm

@Rei of Sunshine wrote:@Vaderito

But how can you possibly forget that Kylo Ren threw Rey into a treeeee?! No one will ever forget that one! He should be hanged for hurting the treeeeee
@Rei of Sunshine

How could Rey forget? Concussion or mind wipe? lol!
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 4:10 pm

@Night Huntress wrote:@SheLitAFire: well, my husband is dump as a fish when it comes to subtle romances or sexual tension and even he got it in TLJ. Laughing

Anyway- why do you care about what others are thinking? To quote Kylo's words from TFA "will see" Wink
@Night Huntress

I just don't like feeling talked down to like I'm delusional about the movie. But my dad is a very "black and white" & "people can't change" kind of guy, so I guess I shouldn't be so shocked. My brother sees their connection but doesn't perceive it as romantic, but he doesn't talk about it condescendingly like my dad does. I know both of them are pretty dense when it comes to nuanced character arcs.

After TFA I didn't really care what anyone else thought about Reylo, but this time around I feel much more emotional about it...I'm not sure why. I want Ben to be redeemed and for there to be a beautiful love story so bad, my heart aches.
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 4:13 pm

@SheLitAFire wrote:
@Night Huntress wrote:@SheLitAFire: well, my husband is dump as a fish when it comes to subtle romances or sexual tension and even he got it in TLJ. Laughing

@Night Huntress

I just don't like feeling talked down to like I'm delusional about the movie. But my dad is a very "black and white" & "people can't change" kind of guy, so I guess I shouldn't be so shocked. My brother sees their connection but doesn't perceive it as romantic, but he doesn't talk about it condescendingly like my dad does. I know both of them are pretty dense when it comes to nuanced character arcs.

After TFA I didn't really care what anyone else thought about Reylo, but this time around I feel much more emotional about it...I'm not sure why. I want Ben to be redeemed and for their to be a beautiful love story so bad, my heart aches.
@SheLitAFire

I can sympathize with you on so many levels.  This is where I am, and understand completely.  It feels a little bit like gas lighting when you know flat out there are things you see, and others think you are crazy and will repeatedly tell you you're seeing things.  It hurts especially when you have a love for this story, only to have someone tell you that story doesn't exist at all.  It's 10x worse when these comments aren't just coming from those on the internet, but friends and family who you care for in real life.
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 4:19 pm

@SheLitAFire wrote:
After TFA I didn't really care what anyone else thought about Reylo, but this time around I feel much more emotional about it...I'm not sure why. I want Ben to be redeemed and for there to be a beautiful love story so bad, my heart aches.
@SheLitAFire

I understand- maybe that's why I don't really talk about it too much or too deeply outside our little confident fandom corner.
Partly because I don't want to fight about a fictional story everybody perceives differently- and because I want to protect myself from all the negativity... GA aren't invested like we are. And even many fans don't see deeper into the characters.

I'm sure your father will be surprised of how IX will end Wink
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AnneNeville on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 4:26 pm

@Moonjump05 wrote:So, I know I brought it up before that I am not sure if Kylo knows Leia survived her trip out to space, but I just was thinking that on the flip side does Leia know Kylo didn't shoot at her?

Kylo's wingmen fire and Leia almost had this... Defeated look. It would put her later conversation with Luke into context- she held out hope for so long, then Ben fired on her.

Maybe the novelization will expand on it.
@Moonjump05

I remember lots of cuts between shots of Leia's face and shots of Kylo's. I would have to watch again, but I think she reacted when he did not push the button.
AnneNeville
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 5:22 pm

Today, I got the visit of my bestie, back from Quebec. We will go to the theaters together because he wanted to wait his return to watch it. So we have discussed about his prediction and gosh how hard it was for me not to spoil him anything:

Him: "Okay, you tell me that there won't be so many questions answered by TLJ. But I really hope that we get at least an answer about Rey's parents? I really want to know who she is.
Me:

Him: She must be Leia or Luke's daughter, right?
Me(trying hard not to spoil)

Him: "I guess we'll learn who Snoke is. You know, I've watched Revenge of the Sith yesterday. Isn't he Sidious' master? What's his name already? Plagueis?"
Me (trying vey hard not to spoil):

Him: I am sure Luke is gonna die
Me:

Can't wait to see his face tomorrow Wink
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 5:57 pm

@SheLitAFire wrote:

@Night Huntress

@SheLitAFire

I think that you are more upset this time around because we actually got to know Kylo/Ben so much better. We all thought that something had to have gone wrong for him, but I don't think any of us thought that his past would be as terrible as it was. Rian wrote him beautifully, showing his intelligence, his strength, his love, along with his damage, pain and instability.

I know that for me that the number 1 reason why my first viewing of the movie just about killed me was the fact that he makes so much progress only to fall apart so spectacularly. I think a lot of people who have experienced traumas and hardships in their lives identify with Kylo/Ben and want him to get better, to get strong, to get his mind clear. I personally have been touched by a number of major deaths, family illnesses, crises, etc., in recent years, and I'll tell you that if you get knocked down enough times it starts to take its toll. You're like mentally and spiritually a person who is getting over the flu, which means things that normally don't throw you will throw you because you haven't fully healed yet.

Ben is like this x1 million. So when you see a character like him seemingly start recovering from his trauma, damage, etc., it's very hopeful ... but then when he has his massive relapse, it is crushing. I couldn't even deal with the movie until I realized that Rian basically wants people to be crushed in part, to walk out feeling Ben's pain in a major way.

Unfortunately a lot of people just can't or don't want to see past the surface. I also think that the often-times "paint by numbers" black and white morality of the Lucas years really predisposes a lot of people to see these films in very surface and simplistic ways. If there is one hurdle that Disney/LF has to climb, it's going to be really convincing significant segments of the audience that there is a new creative team and that things have changed and have become more complex.

LF will lose some people forever, and I think that they expect that and are okay with that. I looked at the demographic breakdown of rating scores on Imdb, and it showed that the younger you were, the more you like the movie, and that if you were a woman you liked the movie better. In fact, you didn't even get a noticeable drop in scoring until you got to the oldest demographic provided which I think was 44+.

Disney wanted to make SW fresh for younger audiences and they wanted more women invested. They have definitely succeeded in that. :-)
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 7:37 pm

3rd viewing and finally had time in my schedule to see it in IMAX 2-D. Which made a huge difference, starting with being able appreciate the cinematography and use of color. Like we've discussed before, with Steve Yedlin as the DP, color theory (RED) is everywhere. This was so much better for actually watching the facial expressions during Force Skyping and in the elevator together. Those two nerds have it bad for each other, if only they could work on their communication skills, Rey grows up a little bit more, and Ben gets his s*** together. A couple of the themes I noticed:

HAAAAAAN SOOOOOLO - Like I said before, there's something. Maybe it's just a wink to the Solo movie, but if so, what a cheap move. Especially considering Lawrence Kasdan's involvement with the ST and Solo movie. We how many lines now that Han and Ben are alike - Ben looks like him/reminds Leia of him? Han's "too much Vader" is "too much of his father" Snoke's creepiness  in telling him he's "No Vader - You have too much of your father's heart in you, young Solo." The whole shirtless confrontation (where you see all his wounds/scars from the fights in the IMAX version) where Ben and Rey talk about Han. The thing with Han is that we can surmise from Rey's sad life (negligent/alcoholic parents and then indentured servitude to Unkar Plutt) that he's probably the first person ever to notice and be kind to her. Which is just so sad but it's also that Han noticed because of his heart. It's also Ben's heart - he also zeroes in on her sadness (it's part of his vision) and does try to help her get past it. Unfortunately for his selfish ends, but he gets her there after a lifetime of pain/trauma/denial. And f**k yeah is he Han's son because she turns his head and he chases after her the same way Han chased after Leia.

Connections Via the Characters and Two Sides - Too lazy to write it out again, but Ben and Rey's connection isn't going away and will connect both them and the two sides.

"It's all a machine" - OK so we get exposition via DJ and Rose's backstory about the business of funding/running the First Order and the Galaxy's 1%. We also know that Finn is a victim of the child soldier program Hux's father started which Hux took over (with Phasma's help) by murdering him. And Rey and Ben also have back stories to do with feeding the machine of the previous conflicts/factions, which is why Luke is disillusioned and wants to burn it all down. Ben does too, just as long as he's in charge with Rey at his side (which she's not cool with). Question is between that and Bloodline, if it's going anywhere in IX?

Hope - this one gets beat over the head so often about the galaxy, the whole point of Rose inspiring the kids in Canto Bight, Rey trying to get both Ben and Luke to help her, Leia talking about the galaxy losing hope, losing hope in her son, and Luke's return after all of Rey's badgering. The ending with what's left of the Resistance is that there is Hope thanks to the actions of Paige, Holdo, Rose and Luke to insprire others. It's also mentioned enough times with Ben "Named after Obi-Wan 'you're my only hope' Kenobi" - game's not over yet for that boy and Rey wanting to believe he's capable of being a good man.

Sacrifice/saving others versus heroics - Paige and Holdo go out like bosses, take down the FO, but it's about saving others versus heroics. Which are issues you see with both Poe and Ben. Each young man is locked into a mindset about the type of hero/man they should be. Poe learns his lesson a lot better than Ben does. I mean, Ben has it halfway right with making the decision to follow the "Saving who we love" in choosing Rey over Snoke. He just f**ks it up afterwards because he's still focused on the destroying what he hates part. Also I think Rose saved Finn from sacrificing himself made sense because she'd just lost Paige in the same type of act. She couldn't save Paige, but she could save Finn.

The burden of mentors/teachers is to be outgrown by their students - Snoke learns a brutal lesson on this topic, Poe learns this via Holdo and Leia (and Holdo is driven by what she learned as Leia's friend/compatriot), Rose's entire arc is obviously informed by what she learned from Paige; Rey learns this the hard way from Luke that she doesn't need to become a Jedi or rely on him or Ben to user her powers to help others (like Dorothy Gale, the power was in her all along)
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 9:13 pm

@SoloSideCousin wrote:

I know that for me that the number 1 reason why my first viewing of the movie just about killed me was the fact that he makes so much progress only to fall apart so spectacularly.  
@SoloSideCousin

THIS. I felt so sick after my first viewing I didn’t sleep that night and didn’t eat the next day. I felt like Rian had teased us with Ben’s redemption only to have him take 10 steps back. Why work so hard to build up sympathy for the guy when you’re just going to throw him under the bus again? Then I was afraid he had done the same thing with Reylo. Teased us with the possibility that Rey could care for him only to decide that in the end that he wasn’t worth saving. It sounds crazy, but I’ve lost five pounds worrying about Kylo Ren. Laughing
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 9:31 pm

@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:

I know that for me that the number 1 reason why my first viewing of the movie just about killed me was the fact that he makes so much progress only to fall apart so spectacularly.  
@SoloSideCousin

THIS. I felt so sick after my first viewing I didn’t sleep that night and didn’t eat the next day. I felt like Rian had teased us with Ben’s redemption only to have him take 10 steps back. Why work so hard to build up sympathy for the guy when you’re just going to throw him under the bus again? Then I was afraid he had done the same thing with Reylo. Teased us with the possibility that Rey could care for him only to decide that in the end that he wasn’t worth saving. It sounds crazy, but I’ve lost five pounds worrying about Kylo Ren. Laughing
@Cowgirlsamurai

No judgements. This was me for the first three days after my viewing. I was a mess of anxiety over a freaking movie. If it’s ridiculous we’re both ridiculous together.

IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 9:48 pm

@IoJovi wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:

@SoloSideCousin

@Cowgirlsamurai

No judgements. This was me for the first three days after my viewing. I was a mess of anxiety over a freaking movie. If it’s ridiculous we’re both ridiculous together.

@IoJovi

I was frantically writing meta after seeing TLJ. That's how I ended up with that monster above - and even then, I did some editing and split it all into parts, lol.
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 10:30 pm

I am in my mid to late forties, so this movie spoke to me because i like character driven movies.  My cousin, who is very GA but a Star Wars fan from when we were little, texted me to tell me she loved the movie. I did ask her directly about Kylo and Rey's development in TLJ.  She loved it and said that she noticed in TFA they would be the big romance of this trilogy. My son loves TLJ and I am sure my daughter will enjoy it once it is out on DVD.  She hates viewing action movies in the theater, it is too loud for her. But the one thing that I have noticed reading comments from general fandom, people my age need to realize it is not about us anymore.  This is a family movie and they are appealing to our kids now.

Last edited by Birdwoman on Fri 29 Dec 2017, 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Birdwoman
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by PalmettoBlue on Thu 28 Dec 2017, 11:10 pm

Whenever I get the “non-romantic” connection, I like to show people close-ups of their faces and ask: do you look st your cousins this way? Siblings? Or - you think these people aren’t interested in one another?
Then, I have been known to make snarky comments like: How did you manage to get married?
PalmettoBlue
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

https://palmettosdesk.blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by HJ98 on Fri 29 Dec 2017, 1:41 am

So I saw TLJ today for the second time and boy I'm glad I did! The first viewing seemed to crush my soul, like all week my coworker kept asking if I was alright. No- I wasn't!
HJ98
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Fri 29 Dec 2017, 6:29 am

Guys, I know it sucks when relatives or even randoms say that we're seeing things, but the director has already confirmed what was in his movie. Anything else is noise.

It's like people have villain goggles on at all times. All villains are the same which means they all have to be manipulative, so when a more complex villain like Kylo shows up they can't cope and have to slap cookie-cutter moulds on him and turn him into another Snoke/Palpatine/Dooku. Seriously, if TFA taught me anything it's that our modern society no longer knows how to watch movies. They are incapable. It was exactly the same with "Kylo lured Han onto the catwalk".
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Xylo Ren on Fri 29 Dec 2017, 9:09 am

@SheLitAFire wrote:Sigh. I just saw it for a 5th time, with my dad this time (his 3rd time) and he actually argued with me that there is no romance between Ben and Rey. He said he was just being manipulative during the force bond moments and that he'll probably just continue to try to kill them all and destroy her and that he doesn't think Ben can or should be redeemed. Like he really argued with me about it afterwards.
The thing is, he doesn't really hate Kylo, he's a huge fan of Adam and thinks Adam did an amazing job but thinks that there isn't any hope for him.
Suspect scratch Ehem Triste

Also I was sitting next to like a preteen girl and she cheered when Ben killed Snoke, but kept quietly saying "don't do it, don't do it" when Ben offered his hand to Rey. And then she gasped and cheered when Rey and Finn hugged and was like "yessssss"
Dunno idk how I'm gonna be able to get through the next 2 years.
@SheLitAFire

I saw a really good post on tumblr pointing out how the very first thing Kylo did when he and Rey bonded through the Force was try to manipulate her mind into bringing Luke Skywalker to him. Not only did he fail, but he was extremely embarrassed. Rian was purposefully showing that neither side is able to manipulate or control the other's minds.

The emotions, dialogue, and feelings that occur during their Force communications are 100% genuine. Or else Kylo would've been able to rip into Rey's mind and get Luke's location from it.
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Fri 29 Dec 2017, 9:20 am

@IoJovi wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:

@SoloSideCousin

@Cowgirlsamurai

@IoJovi

I'am definitely the member of the same club.

In addition to that: I had an "interesting" experience in the garage of the mall after I watched it. The lights in the garage went off for whatever reason. And everything went DARK.

I don't need to mention how I felt in that moment.

What a Face affraid
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Fri 29 Dec 2017, 9:25 am

@Darth_Awakened wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:

@SoloSideCousin

@Cowgirlsamurai

No judgements.  This was me for the first three days after my viewing.  I was a mess of anxiety over a freaking movie.  If it’s ridiculous we’re both ridiculous together.

@IoJovi

In addition to that: I had an "interesting" experience in the garage of the mall after I watched it. The lights in the garage went off for whatever reason. And everything went DARK.

What a Face affraid
@Darth_Awakened

A second viewing really hit the hammer home that all would be alright in the end.  The first two hours has probably a dozen different cases of foreshadowing to a happy ending for these two.  I'll tell you though, what really sealed it was last night @SheLitAFire talked about Ben and Rey's yin yang visualization in the Praetorian guard fight.  Suddenly a lightbulb went off and I realized if they truly are yin and yang as marketing has hit us over the head with for the last six months, all will be right in the end.  Ben is dark and Rey is the light and both are needed for the balance.  BEN CAN'T DIE!

I'm sure most of you had this thought ahead of me so I apologize in advance if I'm stating things that have already been said, but this epiphany really made my night last night.

And that is really crazy about your parking garage!
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by PalmettoBlue on Fri 29 Dec 2017, 9:58 am

@IoJovi wrote:
@Darth_Awakened wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:

@SoloSideCousin

@Cowgirlsamurai

No judgements.  This was me for the first three days after my viewing.  I was a mess of anxiety over a freaking movie.  If it’s ridiculous we’re both ridiculous together.

@IoJovi

What a Face affraid
@Darth_Awakened

A second viewing really hit the hammer home that all would be alright in the end.  The first two hours has probably a dozen different cases of foreshadowing to a happy ending for these two.  I'll tell you though, what really sealed it was last night @SheLitAFire talked about Ben and Rey's yin yang visualization in the Praetorian guard fight.  Suddenly a lightbulb went off and I realized if they truly are yin and yang as marketing has hit us over the head with for the last six months, all will be right in the end.  Ben is dark and Rey is the light and both are needed for the balance.  BEN CAN'T DIE!

I'm sure most of you had this thought ahead of me so I apologize in advance if I'm stating things that have already been said, but this epiphany really made my night last night.

And that is really crazy about your parking garage!
@IoJovi

I was so worried after a first showing that I actually asked for a positivity thread because I was scared.
PalmettoBlue
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

https://palmettosdesk.blog/

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru on Fri 29 Dec 2017, 1:17 pm

@IoJovi wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:

@SoloSideCousin

@Cowgirlsamurai

@IoJovi

You guys are not alone. I had a nervous breakdown after I watched the movie LOL. Then I watched it again and felt ridiculous for freaking out.
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 on Fri 29 Dec 2017, 5:03 pm

@Piper Maru wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:

@SoloSideCousin

@Cowgirlsamurai

@IoJovi

You guys are not alone. I had a nervous breakdown after I watched the movie LOL. Then I watched it again and felt ridiculous for freaking out.
@Piper Maru

Same! I felt so numb after the first viewing because of the end
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum