The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations

Page 43 of 43 Previous  1 ... 23 ... 41, 42, 43

Go down

Re: The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations

Post by tippytoo on Wed 16 May 2018, 11:24 pm

I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but I want to bring attention to the final scene in the Last Jedi novelization with Broom Boi (Temiri), his little girl-friend/crush Arashell Sar, and their cruel "boss" Bargwill Tomder. At first glance, the scene is a cute afterthought, thrown in for a lighthearted moment, but on second thought...

what if it's Jason Fry's subtle way of showing us Kylo Ren's thoughts about Rey during the Snoke scene? I think Jason Fry had mentioned on Twitter that he wasn't allowed to go into Kylo's inner thoughts for fear of giving too much away, but this children's scene could have been his way around that without being explicit. Here's a quote from the children's scene that can be directly paralleled with what we think is motivating Kylo:

"Temiri tried to keep his body between Bargwill and Arashell, hoping she'd notice what he was doing for her...Arashell didn't need his help anyway - she slipped nimbly past the stable keeper to safety."

Temiri thinks Arashell is capable, someone who doesn't need his help, but he chooses to give help anyway in hopes that she'll see how much he cares for her. Similarly, as of TLJ, Kylo sees Rey as an equal, someone who doesn't necessarily need his help, but he chooses to give help anyway against Snoke, and hopes his actions speak for his feelings.

tippytoo
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Thu 17 May 2018, 10:06 am

@tippytoo wrote:I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but I want to bring attention to the final scene in the Last Jedi novelization with Broom Boi (Temiri), his little girl-friend/crush Arashell Sar, and their cruel "boss" Bargwill Tomder. At first glance, the scene is a cute afterthought, thrown in for a lighthearted moment, but on second thought...

what if it's Jason Fry's subtle way of showing us Kylo Ren's thoughts about Rey during the Snoke scene? I think Jason Fry had mentioned on Twitter that he wasn't allowed to go into Kylo's inner thoughts for fear of giving too much away, but this children's scene could have been his way around that without being explicit. Here's a quote from the children's scene that can be directly paralleled with what we think is motivating Kylo:

"Temiri tried to keep his body between Bargwill and Arashell, hoping she'd notice what he was doing for her...Arashell didn't need his help anyway - she slipped nimbly past the stable keeper to safety."

Temiri thinks Arashell is capable, someone who doesn't need his help, but he chooses to give help anyway in hopes that she'll see how much he cares for her. Similarly, as of TLJ, Kylo sees Rey as an equal, someone who doesn't necessarily need his help, but he chooses to give help anyway against Snoke, and hopes his actions speak for his feelings.
@tippytoo

I must've skimmed the broomboi scene when I read it because I don't remember that part! Laughing Aww, I really hope you're right about an intentional parallel. Makes sense to me I love you
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Thu 17 May 2018, 1:28 pm

@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@tippytoo wrote:I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but I want to bring attention to the final scene in the Last Jedi novelization with Broom Boi (Temiri), his little girl-friend/crush Arashell Sar, and their cruel "boss" Bargwill Tomder. At first glance, the scene is a cute afterthought, thrown in for a lighthearted moment, but on second thought...

@tippytoo

I must've skimmed the broomboi scene when I read it because I don't remember that part! Laughing Aww, I really hope you're right about an intentional parallel. Makes sense to me I love you
@Cowgirlsamurai

I haven't finished the novelization, but I know that I immediately thought that the three kids were supposed to symbolize the once innocent Rey, Finn and Ben.  BroomBoi is not Poe. Force sensitive BroomBoi is the stand-in for child Ben IMO. Damaged to a certain extent, but not yet ripped apart like Ben was with Luke and Snoke. I think the three kids represents a chance that the world for those three kids might be better than the one Ben, Rey and Finn grew up in, probably in large part due to the future actions of Ben, Rey and Finn.

So I think analysis of Protective-for-the-sake-of-Affection-and -not-dismissal-or-underestimation Broomboi is spot on.

Last edited by SoloSideCousin on Thu 17 May 2018, 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Thu 17 May 2018, 1:35 pm

@SoloSideCousin

Wow. The stable kids mean so much more to me now cheers If that was intentional by Rian, then he's brilliant, IMO. Either way, I love it Very Happy
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 43 of 43 Previous  1 ... 23 ... 41, 42, 43

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum