The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 36 Empty Re: The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations

Post by Riri on Wed 7 Mar - 16:16

@Darth_Awakened

Not sure if he intergrated the "no attachments" rule into his own order though, the Leia monolgue was about how Luke went against the advice from his teachers (Yoda and Obi Wan) to save his father with love! Luke never married so maybe he did end up following the old Jedi ways?

PS i'm only in Chapter 8. Smile

Last edited by Riri on Wed 7 Mar - 16:27; edited 1 time in total

Riri
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 36 Empty Re: The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations

Post by Let The Past Die on Wed 7 Mar - 16:21

@Starliteprism wrote:
@Let The Past Die

Oh right. I meant physical copy. I looked and saw something called audiobook, but no kindle? Not a fan of all these odd restrictions and of course, pushed back releases in the UK that were initially advertised as 6 March release. I noticed a seller on ebay offering the physical copy on Amazon UK, so have emailed them to see if they have the actual copy in stock. *shrugs* scratch
@Starliteprism

OK, are you waiting for the kindle copy of Jason Fry's novel or are you getting the hard copy? I've ordered the kindle version and hoping it drops at midnight, tapping my fingers impatiently. Although I have to get up extra early for work, so no idea when I'm going to start reading if it does drop then, the temptation to start reading will be too great I fear lol!
Let The Past Die
Let The Past Die
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Wed 7 Mar - 16:35

Kylo had rummaged through these hopes and fears, things he had no right to. But as he searched, something had changed. Even as he callously rifled through her mind, he had somehow revealed his own. Rey found herself in his mind even as he invaded hers. She felt his rage, like a ruinous storm that filled his head, and his hatred, and his lust to dominate and humiliate those who had wronged him. But she also felt his hurt, and his loneliness. And his fear—that he would never prove as strong as Darth Vader, the ghost who haunted his dreams.
Kylo had retreated at finding Rey in his head—had practically fled from her. But that had not been the end of that strange, sudden connection. She had seen more—far more. Somehow, almost instinctually, she knew how he accessed some of the powers at his command—even though she didn’t understand them. It was as if his training had become hers, unlocking and flinging open door after door in her mind. But now Rey couldn’t shut those doors—and she feared what had been set loose. Kylo had urged her to let him be her teacher—had pleaded with her, almost. She had rejected him—only to be rejected, in turn, by Luke.

So, I'm a bit confused- this implies their connection did start during the interrogation while their were in each others minds and wasn't all Snoke's doing
Night Huntress
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Wed 7 Mar - 16:37

@Night Huntress wrote:Kylo had rummaged through these hopes and fears, things he had no right to. But as he searched, something had changed. Even as he callously rifled through her mind, he had somehow revealed his own. Rey found herself in his mind even as he invaded hers. She felt his rage, like a ruinous storm that filled his head, and his hatred, and his lust to dominate and humiliate those who had wronged him. But she also felt his hurt, and his loneliness. And his fear—that he would never prove as strong as Darth Vader, the ghost who haunted his dreams.
Kylo had retreated at finding Rey in his head—had practically fled from her. But that had not been the end of that strange, sudden connection. She had seen more—far more. Somehow, almost instinctually, she knew how he accessed some of the powers at his command—even though she didn’t understand them. It was as if his training had become hers, unlocking and flinging open door after door in her mind. But now Rey couldn’t shut those doors—and she feared what had been set loose. Kylo had urged her to let him be her teacher—had pleaded with her, almost. She had rejected him—only to be rejected, in turn, by Luke.

So, I'm a bit confused- this implies their connection did start during the interrogation while their were in each others minds and wasn't all Snoke's doing
@Night Huntress

I just don't understand why they didn't make Rey getting powers and training from Kylo's mind clear in the movies. Because they didn't. At all. Pablo has been saying that was the case since TFA and they keep backing it up but like, nothing in the actual movies explains this to us. It doesn't even attempt.

Also, this makes me think maybe my theory is right. The strong connection was forged in the interrogation scene but it was still like a cracked door. Snoke sensed it and kicked it wide open.
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Wed 7 Mar - 16:52

@ZioRen wrote:
I just don't understand why they didn't make Rey getting powers and training from Kylo's mind clear in the movies. Because they didn't. At all. Pablo has been saying that was the case since TFA and they keep backing it up but like, nothing in the actual movies explains this to us. It doesn't even attempt.

Yeah, I agree- that's really annoying. The GA don't get those informations and that makes both characters look somehow bad.

@ZioRen wrote:
Also, this makes me think maybe my theory is right. The strong connection was forged in the interrogation scene but it was still like a cracked door. Snoke sensed it and kicked it wide open.
@ZioRen

In TFA novel (yeah, I know- right Rolling Eyes Laughing ) it's clearly mentioned they felt this strange connection already when they first met on Takodanna.
That's why Kylo decided to take Rey...he felt something - And Snooky didn't even know at that time that Rey even existed.

JJ commented that Kylo's behavior in that scene is strange- taking the girl instead of the droid..carrying her personally in his arms leaving himself practically vulnerable.

I share your theory that Snoke just kicked the door wide open but the connection was already there.
Night Huntress
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri on Wed 7 Mar - 16:54

So apparently the Han Solo and the Princess theme that was used in the lightsaber-tug-of-war for the audiobook was the version from ESB where Han/Leia are being separated because of the carbonite freezing. That version is more dramatic and orchestral! Smile

Riri
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism on Wed 7 Mar - 16:58

@Let The Past Die wrote:
@Starliteprism wrote:
@Let The Past Die

Oh right. I meant physical copy. I looked and saw something called audiobook, but no kindle? Not a fan of all these odd restrictions and of course, pushed back releases in the UK that were initially advertised as 6 March release. I noticed a seller on ebay offering the physical copy on Amazon UK, so have emailed them to see if they have the actual copy in stock. *shrugs* scratch
@Starliteprism

OK, are you waiting for the kindle copy of Jason Fry's novel or are you getting the hard copy? I've ordered the kindle version and hoping it drops at midnight, tapping my fingers impatiently. Although I have to get up extra early for work, so no idea when I'm going to start reading if it does drop then, the temptation to start reading will be too great I fear lol!
@Let The Past Die

Physical/Hard oh-so tactile copy of Jason Fry's novel. It has been dispatched, is en route, and I shall receive it before 8pm tomorrow evening, but usually Amazon are good for morning delivery. bom

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 36 NWFDC1q
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Let The Past Die on Wed 7 Mar - 17:04

@ZioRen @Night Huntress
Regarding the interrogation scene, I've just copied a section from the script. http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens.html

KYLO REN (CONT'D)
          You know I can take whatever I want.
         Trepidation flashes across Rey's eyes. Kylo Ren moves closer,
         his hand rising toward her. She recoils, but has nowhere to
         go. Kylo Ren nearly TOUCHES HER FACE...
         THEY'RE BOTH SURPRISED: they react to a feeling that passes
         between them -- AN ENERGY THEY RECOGNIZE IN EACH OTHER.
         And then it's gone. Adversaries again. Rey can't move,

Its quite interesting to read that scene, but the bit that stood out to me was  where it reads 'Adversaries again', which I've highlighted in red. To me it infers just for that moment they were so connected, that they were not in opposition to one another.
So with Snoke, talking about bridging their minds, I view it as some do like he boostered their signal. I actually though about a literal bridge, often when walking along a stream the quickest way to cross is via a literal bridge rather than finding a shallow point. The stream could be crossed eventually, but it's quicker by using the bridge. I just equate it to being  the type of 'bridge' Snoke used. Rey and Kylo's connection is so strong they would have 'bridged' eventually but to me Snoke speeded it along. I don't know which novel mentions Snoke thought it was a gamble to do so, but in his mind it paid off... Haha lost that bet didn't he.

My bridging analogy may be simplistic, but it's the only way I could begin to understand what Snoke meant if he was speaking the truth, which it appears he did. I like reading what others think what it means.
Let The Past Die
Let The Past Die
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri on Wed 7 Mar - 17:10

Heres the audio excerpt where Across the Stars is playing when Rey is contemplating waiting for Ben!

http://staminahateboat.tumblr.com/post/171637131550/sorry-for-the-quality-headphones-recommended

Riri
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases on Wed 7 Mar - 17:28

@ZioRen wrote:
@Night Huntress wrote:Kylo had rummaged through these hopes and fears, things he had no right to. But as he searched, something had changed. Even as he callously rifled through her mind, he had somehow revealed his own. Rey found herself in his mind even as he invaded hers. She felt his rage, like a ruinous storm that filled his head, and his hatred, and his lust to dominate and humiliate those who had wronged him. But she also felt his hurt, and his loneliness. And his fear—that he would never prove as strong as Darth Vader, the ghost who haunted his dreams.

@Night Huntress

@ZioRen

I think they are saving it for IX and it will be a big reveal for GA. Maybe they are making ST in such way that after IX you will look on TFA and TLJ from different perspective (for GA) and all suddenly makes sense. I think that information in the novelization is now established legit backstory for all important stuff and JJ will build IX on that.

@Riri wrote:Heres the audio excerpt where Across the Stars is playing when Rey is contemplating waiting for Ben!

http://staminahateboat.tumblr.com/post/171637131550/sorry-for-the-quality-headphones-recommended
@Riri

Wow lol very subtle.

So this is how they are doing unconditional, not possessive love? Rey is thinking about the Cosmic Force? Lol, they'd better show it in IX because in TLJ we got zero POV from her after the Throne Room.
special_cases
special_cases
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Wed 7 Mar - 17:39

@special_cases wrote:
@ZioRen wrote:

@Night Huntress

@ZioRen

I think they are saving it for IX and it will be a big reveal for GA. Maybe they are making ST in such way that after IX you will look on TFA and TLJ from different perspective (for GA) and all suddenly makes sense. I think that information in the novelization is now established legit backstory for all important stuff and JJ will build IX on that.
@special_cases

Maybe, but I don't know why that'd be much of a reveal. I wish they'd just come out with it, because if they'd made it clear in TFA a lot of the "Mary Sue" whining wouldn't exist.
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Teo oswald on Wed 7 Mar - 17:43

rey has always had that "something" inside of herself that something has awakened. the lightsaber called her because
1) Rey is strong with the force
2) the lightsaber is connected to the Skywalkers
3) Rey is connected to the Skywalker
and here people are wrong to think that Rey was a skywalker , the lightsaber calls her so she can meet her opposite, her soul mate , and we know that Luke is not the only skywalker. and it is no coincidence that kylo says that lightsaber belongs to him. it's not a coincidence that kylo and rey are in Takodana. kylo feels something and inadvertently became the motivator of Rey, as she will become the motivator of him. their connection is give and take, push and pull

the link is activated because "the one" has found its "opposite", they are predestinated to be together, Snoke has fed
the connection, but it all started with the will of force , it is something that goes beyond a blood bond. Snoke himself said the equivalent of Kylo , he believed it was Luke. it was Rey .....is always been Rey
Teo oswald
Teo oswald
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases on Wed 7 Mar - 17:55

@ZioRen wrote:
@special_cases wrote:
@ZioRen wrote:

@Night Huntress

@ZioRen

@special_cases

Maybe, but I don't know why that'd be much of a reveal. I wish they'd just come out with it, because if they'd made it clear in TFA a lot of the "Mary Sue" whining wouldn't exist.
@ZioRen

The same for me, but I really can't think about another reason not to make it clear in TLJ ( and stop "Mary Sue" talk). Because they don't even discuss it in interviews and Daisy was thinking about "finding the Force together" as a spoiler pre-TLJ. I guess we need to hear what RJ will say in the commentary.
special_cases
special_cases
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Let The Past Die on Wed 7 Mar - 18:11

@Starliteprism wrote:
@Let The Past Die wrote:
@Starliteprism wrote:
@Let The Past Die

@Starliteprism

@Let The Past Die

Physical/Hard oh-so tactile copy of Jason Fry's novel. It has been dispatched, is en route, and I shall receive it before 8pm tomorrow evening, but usually Amazon are good for morning delivery. bom

@Starliteprism

Normally Amazon are really good with Kindle books, they are usually here for midnight, but because I want to read this one, it's not there yet.

I debated getting the hard copy, but because I want to highlight as I go along, I don't like doing that in the physical copies of books. Plus I can read it o my phone anywhere. I may buy the physical copy later on. Hope yours arrives in the morning.
Let The Past Die
Let The Past Die
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 on Wed 7 Mar - 19:58

@ZioRen wrote:

Hi

@Night Huntress

@ZioRen

I agree because clarifying this would have taken care of all the Mary Sue accusations!
Dar-ren19
Dar-ren19
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight13 on Wed 7 Mar - 20:46

Moonlight13
Moonlight13

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri on Thu 8 Mar - 1:55

Riri
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 on Thu 8 Mar - 2:13

@Teo oswald wrote:rey has always had that "something" inside of herself that something has awakened. the lightsaber called her because
1) Rey is strong with the force
2) the lightsaber is connected to the Skywalkers
3) Rey is connected to the Skywalker
and here people are wrong to think that Rey was a skywalker , the lightsaber calls her so she can meet her opposite, her soul mate , and we know that Luke is not the only skywalker. and it is no coincidence that kylo says that lightsaber belongs to him. it's not a coincidence that kylo and rey are in Takodana. kylo feels something and inadvertently became the motivator of Rey, as she will become the motivator of him. their connection is give and take, push and pull

the link is activated because "the one" has found its "opposite", they are predestinated to be together, Snoke has fed
the connection, but it all started with the will of force , it is something that goes beyond a blood bond. Snoke himself said the equivalent of Kylo , he believed it was Luke. it was Rey .....is always been Rey
@Teo oswald

Beautifully put!!! Reylo really does take soulmates to a whole new epic level. What a love...

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Teo oswald on Thu 8 Mar - 2:56

@Riri wrote:Heres the audio excerpt where Across the Stars is playing when Rey is contemplating waiting for Ben!

@Riri

I was listening that music  right now Smile ahah
OMG ACROSS THE STARS IS THE MUSIC OF LOVE , AND NOW IS THE MUSIC OF REYLO Smile
Teo oswald
Teo oswald
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Thu 8 Mar - 3:17

@ZioRen wrote:I just don't understand why they didn't make Rey getting powers and training from Kylo's mind clear in the movies. Because they didn't. At all. Pablo has been saying that was the case since TFA and they keep backing it up but like, nothing in the actual movies explains this to us. It doesn't even attempt.
@ZioRen

Yeah, all we have for now is Snoke's vague explanation about how Rey is Kylo's light side equal. Which explains her raw power but not why it looks like Rey doesn't need any training whatsoever. I mean, it's hard to see why Rey is scared of her powers when she seems to manage them just fine without much guidance.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah on Thu 8 Mar - 4:34

Lmao these audiobook excerpts are so dramatic. Laughing

I wish Adam had narrated them. Laughing
rawpowah
rawpowah
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism on Thu 8 Mar - 4:52

@Let The Past Die wrote:
@Starliteprism wrote:
@Let The Past Die wrote:
@Starliteprism wrote:
@Let The Past Die

@Starliteprism

@Let The Past Die

@Starliteprism

Normally Amazon are really good with Kindle books, they are usually here for midnight, but because I want to read this one, it's not there yet.

I debated getting the hard copy, but because I want to highlight as I go along, I don't like doing that in the physical copies of books. Plus I can read it o my phone anywhere. I may buy the physical copy later on. Hope yours arrives in the morning.
@Let The Past Die

When it comes to a book, I am very much old school and wanna feel and turn the pages. Just got notification that the book is out for delivery AND then my hubbie was like, "Oh, I pre-ordered the Jedi book for you." And I was like, duuuuuude, there are now two books heading my way. Maybe in the future, order two physical books and mark up the one? Cool
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by giaciak2 on Thu 8 Mar - 6:30

My kindle e-book arrived last night (Italy). I'd like to know if book sales are going well. It would be an incentive for Disney to produce new Reylo films or more stories about Ben or Rey.

giaciak2
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Thu 8 Mar - 10:03

Good interview with Jason Fry in the Independent:

First off, I was wondering how much you talked to director Rian Johnson when writing? Or were you mainly working from a script? What was his input like?

Rian and I sat down at Skywalker Ranch in late July and talked for a couple of hours. We talked about the characters, their relationships, and where they were emotionally at key points in the story, and he gave me insight into how he saw new characters such as Rose and Holdo, and what he’d tried to accomplish with them on film.

We also talked about what he’d cut from the movie and why – that was a very helpful guide for me as I tried to work through deleted scenes, additional dialogue and beats that I might want to present in the novelization. It was important to learn, for instance, that one scene had been cut for running time while another one got excised because Rian wondered if a character’s emotional arc was clear enough in it.

I felt lucky to be able to have a conversation like that at all, and even luckier because Rian was the writer as well as the director. He was aware of some of the challenges I faced in this novelization and was generous about helping me brainstorm them a bit. For instance, there are storytelling elements of The Last Jedi that depend on the visual language of film, such as the Rashomon-style flashbacks to what happened between Luke Skywalker and Kylo Ren, and the visual surprise of the reveal after Rey’s experience in the mirror cave – the voiceover lets us know she’s telling her story to someone, but we’re surprised to discover it’s Kylo. How to recreate the surprise of that scene in print was one of the biggest challenges in the book.

The best advice Rian gave me, though, was about tone. He talked about how he’d worked to ensure a sense of fun and adventure in the movie even when it was dealing with tragic events and weighty subjects – the way he put it was “lift, not drag.” I returned to those three words over and over while writing, and tried to leaven the novelisation with fun observations, dialogue and descriptions.

I tried not to bug him too often after our sitdown, though he very kindly made himself available if I had any questions. First he had a movie to finish, and then I figured he really, really deserved a break. But that first conversation had been so productive that I didn’t really need to bug him.

There are many scenes here that never made it into the film - were they primarily your ideas or from Rian?

It was a mix. Before my conversation with Rian I read through six or seven different versions of the script in Lucasfilm’s offices, jotting down scenes and additional dialogue that I thought would enrich and deepen the story.

I’d also drawn up a wish list of extra scenes that hadn’t appeared in any of the scripts. That list included things I wanted to see and ideas that emerged from conversations with my editors. I really wanted to start with Luke before Rey’s arrival, for example, because I saw that as a way to get into his head in a way I knew would be hard to do in the main story, where Rey was the protagonist and Luke was a mystery she was trying to solve. My editor Elizabeth Schaefer and I both agreed we wanted to see Han Solo’s funeral. And I really wanted to have a quiet moment with Rey after the fight with Kylo, a beat that would give us a sense of what she’d learned and how her relationship with the Force had changed.

Before sitting down to write I made a big spreadsheet of the movie’s scenes, including deleted ones and proposed new ones, along with notes about additional dialogue we could use and places we might want to try something different – a minor character’s point of view or a bit of well-chosen lore, for instance. That work yielded a blueprint not just for my book but also for some other projects – we agreed some deleted scenes were better reserved for my friend Michael Kogge’s junior novelisation, for instance.That blueprint served us well, in part because it was a living document – we were almost to the printers when Michael Siglain and Jennifer Heddle of Lucasfilm Publishing asked for a scene with Leia Organa and Chewie alone in the Falcon’s cockpit, reacting to Luke’s death after their escape from Crait. I knew immediately that I really wanted to write that scene, and it’s one of my favourites in the book.

Whenever I had an idea for a new scene, though, I reminded myself that while I got to write the novelisation, the story was Rian’s. Any new material had to serve Rian’s story – changing that story or burying it in my own stuff was the opposite of what I’d been hired to do. That was a good check on authorial vanity.

How much freedom with the source material did you have? To create your own scenes etc?

Rian was incredibly generous from the start, telling me to use anything in those previous scripts that I thought might fit and trusting me with his story. And I had a big team of smart folks who helped me ensure that I was using that freedom to support the storytelling.

There's more in the link: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/star-wars-last-jedi-book-expanded-edition-author-jason-fry-interview-luke-skywalker-han-solo-rian-a8245706.html
Kylo Rey
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri on Thu 8 Mar - 10:13

Mostly about Luke and nothing much on Reylo but he mentions how he spoke to Rian about the emotional relationships and arcs in the novel!

Riri
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum