The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations

Page 40 of 43 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next

Go down

Re: The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations

Post by nickandnora on Wed 14 Mar 2018, 6:46 pm

Jason Fry tweeted today that the novel is on the bestseller's list. Not sure if this is common, but good on him!

nickandnora
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 on Wed 14 Mar 2018, 7:01 pm

My friend sent me this. Suck it losers lol!
Dar-ren19
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 6:32 pm

WOW. Rose is really envious of Finn’s concern for Rey. She thinks and talks about it a lot more than I expected after reading spoilers.

And the hand scene in the book...meh. It’s short and doesn’t give the feeling of intimacy it does in the film. Kylo reads as more curious about the nature of the connection than enamored with Rey. Favorite scene so far is Rey’s arrival on the Supremacy and their interactions on the way to the throne room. His little smiles Smile But she’s “terrified” about his churning emotions for her... she’s afraid he may kill her or what?
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight13 on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 6:40 pm

@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:WOW. Rose is really envious of Finn’s concern for Rey. She thinks and talks about it a lot more than I expected after reading spoilers.

And the hand scene in the book...meh. It’s short and doesn’t give the feeling of intimacy it does in the film. Kylo reads as more curious about the nature of the connection than enamored with Rey. Favorite scene so far is Rey’s arrival on the Supremacy and their interactions on the way to the throne room. His little smiles Smile But she’s “terrified” about his churning emotions for her... she’s afraid he may kill her or what?
@Cowgirlsamurai
I didn't like that to be honest, Rolling Eyes  especially this:
Spoiler:

Rey Rey Rey, as always.
Moonlight13
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 6:49 pm

I've now read the novel twice and, tbh, I've held back my thoughts on it. I didn't really like it. It was not as disappointing as the Jr. Novel, but not much to write home about. I just hope that they give IX to Claudia Grey or someone who can do justice to the core of the story = Rey and Kylo.
Dar-ren19
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 6:52 pm

@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:WOW. Rose is really envious of Finn’s concern for Rey. She thinks and talks about it a lot more than I expected after reading spoilers.

@Cowgirlsamurai

I think her being terrified of his churning emotions is Rey finally figuring out Kylo wants her and is in love with her, especially as one of the emotions specified is longing. It fits with her being in denial and that awkward coming of age 'teenage crush' phase. He is the first man she's developed non-platonic feelings for, after all. In the movie he gives her a very intense look after killing the last guard and she cannot stand the intensity of his gaze so she quickly changes the subject and I feel like this is more of that.
Kylo Rey
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 6:59 pm

@Kylo Rey wrote:

@Cowgirlsamurai

I think her being terrified of his churning emotions is Rey finally figuring out Kylo wants her and is in love with her, especially as one of the emotions specified is longing. It fits with her being in denial and that awkward coming of age 'teenage crush' phase. He is the first man she's developed non-platonic feelings for, after all. In the movie he gives her a very intense look after killing the last guard and she cannot stand the intensity of his gaze so she quickly changes the subject and I feel like this is more of that.
@Kylo Rey

yeah, it totally fits with her "nervous" reaction to his intense gaze at the end of the fight. do you all agree that they're building Rey up to be an innocent who is experiencing first love and same with Kylo? I get that feeling from both the novelization and the movie, although it's funny that the movie shows us a lot more about what Kylo is feeling (could be due to AD's acting), and the novel tells us almost nothing from his end (no AD there lol), but shows much more of Rey's inner voice.
Dar-ren19
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 7:09 pm

@Kylo Rey wrote:

@Cowgirlsamurai

@Kylo Rey

That was my initial thought... but then it made me uncomfortable. Haha. Why would she be terrified that this gorgeous dude, who she had just bared her soul to and felt compelled to reach out and physically touch, had feelings for her? Dang. Rey’s denial runs deep.

Also, how many times does Fry use “hungry?” Kylo’s hungry. The Force is hungry. Snoke is hungry. I know we’re reading Kylo’s “hunger” as attraction but when Snoke also had a “hungry” gaze, it made me feel like Rey was being described as prey to both of them.
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 7:12 pm

@Dar-ren19

Its becuz the movie has sooo much sexual energy between the two and so many longing looks, in the book its hard to convey that, so its substituted for other things. Like in the film we had the held gaze when Rey appears in the Supremacy, in the book we have the flirty banter (which i loved as well btw). Also we get hints of Kylos feelings like the churned emotions but Fry said he couldnt elaborate on Kylos feelings/motivations because of episode 9!

A part of me is glad that Rose called out Finn on his weird attachment to Rey because it allowed him to grow as a character and find his identity. Rose is a good match for him, they are totally endgame. Kisses don't come by easily in SW (unless you're Luke and Leia ew)

Ps - Kylo was also described as having needy eyes. So he was needy, hungry and feeling longing with churning emotions, the boy is totes thirsty for Rey :p

Last edited by Riri on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Riri
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 7:18 pm

yeah, and writers are in general wary of using a single word more than once on a single page OR a paragraph. It might be a conscious choice to use "hungry", but gosh it's too much after a while. I mean, how about using a danged thesaurus? Laughing

Re the "terrified". well, at least, it wasn't "horrified". haha.
Dar-ren19
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 7:32 pm

I am almost done with the book and have approximately 5 pages left to go.  I freaking love this thing - every piece has been fantastic so far.  I actually don’t read jealousy into Rose at all, and was very amused by how thoroughly she wrecks FinnRey.  It’s not jealousy because every thought she has on the matter is true - Finn’s entire arc is about moving away from Rey, not being scared and going into greater and braver things.  I think it’s well done.  She’s also not wrong when she compares him to a puppy who imprinted on the first person met. I think Roses thoughts on the matter are justified. It reiterated that Rey and Finn’s journey together ended in TFA and are now moving in separate directions.

So far my favorite moment though is the elevator scene - Rey senses Ben’s churning feelings for her and is....terrified.  Terrified because she knows what it means and I’m sure she fears her own feelings as well, if she was willing to look at them deeply enough.  But Rey being the queen of denial (as with the subject of her parents) isn’t that strong yet.  This is reiterated again in the proposal scene when she’s terrified (there’s that word again) as he takes a step forward, that has no threat to it whatsoever.  She’s going to have to face this head on in IX, no if’s ands or buts.  

I also love how many allusions to Reylo there are through the novel, even in scenes that on the surface aren’t related to them.  On the heels of the second Force bond scene, going into the next chapter, the words “Finn fell in love with Canto Bight.”   Funny how the words “falling in love” come right after Reylo.  

On the Raddus, Holdo thinks about salvation and how no one ever arrives there alone.  

There’s too many countless other things to list out here, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Last edited by IoJovi on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight13 on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 7:38 pm

@IoJovi wrote:I am almost done with the book and have approximately 5 pages left to go.  I freaking love this thing - every piece has been fantastic so far.  I actually don’t read jealousy into Rose at all, and was very amused by how thoroughly she wrecks FinnRey.  It’s not jealousy because every thought she has on the matter is true - Finn’s arc is about moving away from Rey, not being scared and going into greater and braver things.  I think it’s well done.  

So far my favorite moment though is the elevator scene - Rey senses Ben’s churning feelings for her and is....terrified.  Terrified because she knows what it means and I’m sure she fears her own feelings as well, if she was willing to look at them deeply enough.  But Rey being the queen of denial (as with the subject of her parents) isn’t that strong yet.  This is reiterated again in the proposal scene when she’s terrified (there’s that word again) as he takes a step forward, that has no threat to it whatsoever.  She’s going to have to face this head on in IX, no if’s ands or buts.  

I also love how many allusions to Reylo there are through the novel, even in scenes that on the surface aren’t related to them.  On the heels of the second Force bond scene, going into the next chapter, the words “Finn fell in love with Canto Bight.”   Funny how the words “falling in love” come right after Reylo.  

On the Raddus, Holdo thinks about salvation and how no one ever arrives there alone.  

There’s too many countless other things to list out here, but those are the ones that come to mind.  
@IoJovi
I noticed that too but I thought I was seeing things. Laughing
Moonlight13
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 7:40 pm

@Moonlight13 wrote:
@IoJovi wrote:I am almost done with the book and have approximately 5 pages left to go.  I freaking love this thing - every piece has been fantastic so far.  I actually don’t read jealousy into Rose at all, and was very amused by how thoroughly she wrecks FinnRey.  It’s not jealousy because every thought she has on the matter is true - Finn’s arc is about moving away from Rey, not being scared and going into greater and braver things.  I think it’s well done.  

@IoJovi
I noticed that too but I thought I was seeing things. Laughing
@Moonlight13

I’m 110% sure they’re not accidental. There’s so many of them strung thought the book I’ve lost count, and they all point in a single direction. Smile
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 8:17 pm

@Dar-ren19 wrote:
@Kylo Rey wrote:

@Cowgirlsamurai

@Kylo Rey

yeah, it totally fits with her "nervous" reaction to his intense gaze at the end of the fight. do you all agree that they're building Rey up to be an innocent who is experiencing first love and same with Kylo? I get that feeling from both the novelization and the movie, although it's funny that the movie shows us a lot more about what Kylo is feeling (could be due to AD's acting), and the novel tells us almost nothing from his end (no AD there lol), but shows much more of Rey's inner voice.
@Dar-ren19

Yes, I think it is very intentional, particularly as Rian has talked at length at how he sees Rey and Kylo both embarking on a journey of childhood to adolescence, which is reflected not just through them exploring the awkward pangs of sexual attraction/lust together, but also through their changes in clothing and hairstyles. Kylo and Rey are both coded as quite childlike in TFA. Rey wears the oversized helmet, licks her plate clean and is generally quite childlike in personality until she meets Kylo. She doesn't wear much makeup and her clothes are loose and billowy, not really emphasising her shape. Kylo meanwhile looks very young and boyish, emphasised by his fluffier hair and his almost androgynous clothing. He's more leaner and slim too. Rey looks more feminine in TLJ, and the makeup is very noticeable in the scene where she comes out of the water in the DS cave with her loosened hair. Her second outfit she changes into is a lot more form fitting and hugs her waist/emphasises her chest a bit more. Kylo meanwhile, literally shows off his (bigger, muscular) physique, has the slightest hints of facial stubble/moustache, and again, his new outfit is more form fitting with the lack of the long robes in the way. I expect this to continue into IX once they transition into adulthood.

@Riri I'm pretty sure from all the SW couples, or even just SW characters in general, Ben and Rey have stared into each other's eyes the longest. TLJ has plenty of this but it's been a feature of their dynamic right from the beginning, even in their more antagonistic days. Rey sure loves staring into the eyes of a man she keeps calling a monster ha. There is a lot of longing in their gazes, their kiss (hopefully they get one, please JJ!), will probably be very passionate.
Kylo Rey
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 8:21 pm

@IoJovi

I don’t see how the “Rey, Rey, Rey” (“Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!” Razz) thing reads as anything but jealousy, especially after Rose fangirls over Finn. I can appreciate what they’re trying to do in prying FinnRey apart in the minds of the audience, but it seems a little much. Of course Finn is going to be worried sick about his friend who he last saw unconscious in the woods with a “bad guy” after them, and Rose is like “Get over it. The cause is more important.” Maybe Finn needs to hear it, but poor guy. He gets yanked in to reality as harshly as Rey does.
I haven’t gotten to the rest of the throne room or the proposal part yet (go to bed, kids!) but I’ll look for the “terrified” there.
I liked Leia saying that Han only did the right thing after exhausting every other alternative (Ben parallel?!) Also, Rey being good at salvaging broken stuff and waiting. The Holdo thing about salvation sounds great too. I love looking for that stuff. Very Happy
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 9:08 pm

@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:@IoJovi

I don’t see how the “Rey, Rey, Rey” (“Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!” Razz) thing reads as anything but jealousy, especially after Rose fangirls over Finn. I can appreciate what they’re trying to do in prying FinnRey apart in the minds of the audience, but it seems a little much. Of course Finn is going to be worried sick about his friend who he last saw unconscious in the woods with a “bad guy” after them, and Rose is like “Get over it. The cause is more important.” Maybe Finn needs to hear it, but poor guy. He gets yanked in to reality as harshly as Rey does.
I haven’t gotten to the rest of the throne room or the proposal part yet (go to bed, kids!) but I’ll look for the “terrified” there.
I liked Leia saying that Han only did the right thing after exhausting every other alternative (Ben parallel?!) Also, Rey being good at salvaging broken stuff and waiting. The Holdo thing about salvation sounds great too. I love looking for that stuff. Very Happy
@Cowgirlsamurai

No worries we all have different interpretations.  I read as just one more nail in the coffin of FinnRey - it makes it that much more final.  I can’t see how Rose and Rey will be opposing each other when they have nothing to vy over.  Rey has clearly moved on, and by the end of TLJ, so has Finn.  

On another note, I just read the part where the saber split in two and I swear, that’s probably THE most sexual thing I’ve read in a canon Star Wars novel to date...  Embarassed
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 10:53 pm

@IoJovi wrote:I am almost done with the book and have approximately 5 pages left to go.  I freaking love this thing - every piece has been fantastic so far.  I actually don’t read jealousy into Rose at all, and was very amused by how thoroughly she wrecks FinnRey.  It’s not jealousy because every thought she has on the matter is true - Finn’s entire arc is about moving away from Rey, not being scared and going into greater and braver things.  I think it’s well done.  She’s also not wrong when she compares him to a puppy who imprinted on the first person met. I think Roses thoughts on the matter are justified. It reiterated that Rey and Finn’s journey together ended in TFA and are now moving in separate directions.

@IoJovi

I am a little under half way through. (RL has gotten in the way, lol). But so far I think that Rose is kicking a** and taking names. I don't read jealousy so far either. I wish they would have met her be so bada** sharp in the movie.

Also, though I am not done, the book is full of a lot of fantastic little hints about Hux, the imperial and especially Poe, IMO. I mean I think Fry uses Poe's pain in the a** X-wing as a proxy for Poe. There is a lot more where that came from too.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 11:09 pm

@IoJovi

I don’t see FinnRey as a threat that needs to be put down, so maybe that’s why I feel it’s excessive? I didn’t think Finn was as infatuated with Rey in TFA as this book is making him sound. I mean, he even leaves her at Maz’s so he can flee without her.

That part when Finn’s watching DJ count his money, and he realizes why he has to fight the FO rather than remain neutral, had me in tears.

Ugh. Sad

“Ben?” she asked.
“That’s my old name,” he said.
“What?”
There was neither fear nor anger in Kylo’s eyes now — just a deep resolve.

There are some glaring typos? When Finn says, “May the Force be with you,” to Rose, it’s written in my book as “May for Force be with you.” Rey says, “Please don’t go his way,” instead of “this way.” Who proofreads?

I’m almost to the saber breaking part Smile
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 11:18 pm

I don’t see FinnRey as a threat that needs to be put down, so maybe that’s why I feel it’s excessive? I didn’t think Finn was as infatuated with Rey in TFA as this book is making him sound. I mean, he even leaves her at Maz’s so he can flee without her.

That part when Finn’s watching DJ count his money, and he realizes why he has to fight the FO rather than remain neutral, had me in tears.

Ugh. Sad

“Ben?” she asked.
“That’s my old name,” he said.
“What?”
There was neither fear nor anger in Kylo’s eyes now — just a deep resolve.

There are some glaring typos? When Finn says, “May the Force be with you,” to Rose, it’s written in my book as “May for Force be with you.” Rey says, “Please don’t go his way,” instead of “this way.” Who proofreads?

I’m almost to the saber breaking part Smile
@Cowgirlsamurai

Haha I’ve found about two typos as well, although I’d be hard pressed to tell you where I found them. And yes I totally get where you are coming from as far as Finn leaving Rey behind in TFA. There was nothing romantic there, so I can see why Finn wanting to follow Rey like a puppy in this novel seems heavy handed. Still, a large part of the GA came out of TFA thinking they’d be a thing, and Fry is trying to put that to bed. I do see Rose and Rey building a lasting friendship in IX (at least I hope!)
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 on Mon 19 Mar 2018, 12:07 am

The most puppy-dog expression I saw on Finn was when he was leaving Takodana w/o her after she refuses to go with him (this is yet another foreshadowing I feel for TLJ -- the woman is stubborn as all get out lol), and he looks back at her and she's already pretty much indifferent and going after the vision she was having... Finn and his puppy-eyes all but forgotten. If that wasn't a broad hint in TFA that FinnRey ain't happening, what was?

Dar-ren19
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by twilekempire on Mon 19 Mar 2018, 12:55 am

@Cowgirlsamurai

I read her as being more jealous that he has someone and he's going to throw away the sacrifice of the only person *she* had for the cause - she resents that he wants to be selfish in a way she couldn't be. Paige was her world. Rose's resentfulness over her attraction to him lasts until they're on the stolen ship IMO. She's kind of in a turmoil, the way I see it...

Though, if I was writing it, I wouldn't have phrased it that way because it does have an implication of romantic jealousy.

Whatever the case, I really liked this moment:

“When she comes back, will she be a Jedi like in the stories?” she asked. “Brown robes, little rat tail?”

That made Finn laugh. “No. Rey a Jedi? Nah.” He tried to figure out where an egg-laden Xi’Dec might affix a red plom bloom, then gave up.

“But she’ll be different,” Rose said.

“No,” he insisted. Rey would always be Rey. He was sure of it, and a little annoyed by Rose’s failure to see that.

Rose looked skeptically at him before returning to her glowering appraisal of the wealthy gamblers around them.

“She’s on her own path,” she told him.

Rose knows what's up and IMO encouraging him not to try to force his friend, who clearly has some big destiny, to not change, is good advice. I don't see her being "catty" to Rey once they've met and she's seen the kind of person Rey is. And if the Reylo stuff is done just the right way, I could see her being more sympathetic than anyone else on the Resistance side.

She's a huge romantic, she hasn't personally been injured by Ben, and she has this moment of thinking re: Finn and Stormtroopers where she's sympathetic to them even as she's very aware of the havoc they wreak.

Rose didn’t know what to think about the fact that a man trained to be a First Order stormtrooper could be innocent enough to assume a feral, unapologetic thief actually owned a fancy yacht. She supposed it made her feel simultaneously better and worse about the galaxy.

On the one hand, maybe there were painfully naïve young men behind many more of those expressionless, skull-like helmets—lost boys who’d never been allowed to have so much as their own name.

On the other hand, battalions made up of those lost boys had destroyed Rose’s homeworld and so many others. How much more ruin and misery would they inflict on the galaxy? How many more people would they rob of loved ones?

Ben is, in a sense, one of those "lost boys" who doesn't even have his name anymore. She ends this moment of reflection finally embracing her liking of Finn as a positive thing, so she's capable of looking clear-eyed at a situation and still being sympathetic.

As far as the book overall: I really liked it. I liked how clear from Hux and Luke's pov prose it is that Ben during the fight is terrified and hurting. It's clear as crystal in Adam's acting, but it was great to have it in black and white too. And I ADORED this line from Luke: "Luke sensed that Kylo Ren was just a shell around the same broken boy he had tried so hard to reach."

That's just not how you write a villain! Not in a million years is that how you write an evil bad forever wicked villain. So, yeah, the Reylo content itself was a bit careful and Fry had limits on how much he could give, but I found the surrounding stuff quite promising on the Reylo front.

And I loved everything about Leia and Rose TBQH.
twilekempire
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Mon 19 Mar 2018, 10:23 am

@twilekempire

Yes! I agree. I think the fact that I know that Rose will fall for Finn colors the jealousy as romantic a bit. It comes off as Rose wanting to steer Finn’s attention from Rey to herself when her intention is probably to steer him toward the Resistance after she catches him trying to jump ship (althoughI actually like Finn and Rose’s story much better in the book because of all the extra interactions and character development we get to see, but I cringe at anything that makes Finn seem more pathetic (like that passage about him imprinting on Rey like a baby duck). There’s the whole, “being disappointed by your heroes” theme in the story, and I feel like Rose is trying to make Finn in to the hero she and Paige perceived him to be, until she realizes he already is seeing how he’s still a deserting stormtrooper (and has to deal with all the feelings that comes with that.) And yes, Ben is also a lost boy, like Finn. Hopefully Kylo follows Finn’s footsteps away from the FO Sad

I really like the part you highlighted about Rey and Finn being different at the end of TLJ, and it makes me wonder what it means for them going forward. Rey clearly gives him space on the Falcon when he’s with Rose, so their friendship is forever changed. I still haven’t gotten through the Crait battle, but from what I’ve read so far, I don’t expect Rose to be catty to Rey either, with how her feelings for Finn have developed. I’m really looking forward to seeing the girls interact.
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Teo oswald on Mon 19 Mar 2018, 5:29 pm

and let's ask ourselves why it's the bestseller ehhh Smile
Teo oswald
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 10:58 pm

Alright, if Rose doesn’t view Rey as romantic competition in the beginning, then I guess I’m crazy. I know it’s not the only reason Rose doesn’t like him bringing her up, but... It’s in there Razz and she works her way through it.

Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight13 on Tue 20 Mar 2018, 11:15 pm

@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:Alright, if Rose doesn’t view Rey as romantic competition in the beginning, then I guess I’m crazy. I know it’s not the only reason Rose doesn’t like him bringing her up, but... It’s in there Razz and she works her way through it.

@Cowgirlsamurai
She says "Rey, Rey, Rey." in chapters 12 and 19. Laughing
Moonlight13
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 43 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum