Episode IX: Spoilers and Rumors

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

Re: Episode IX: Spoilers and Rumors

Post by IoJovi on Thu 10 May 2018, 2:17 pm

@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@Night Huntress wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
I find a disconnect between Rey's super cheery handshake at the end of TLJ and the unimpressed Rey in the comics, lol. I think a bunch of  people are expecting her to be all starry eyed at Poe based on what we got in the film, when supplementary material is painting a different dynamic between the two. Laughing
@Cowgirlsamurai

After I saw TLJ I had the feeling Rey could possibly have an antagonistic relationship with Poe in IX. Not real enemies of course but that she won't agree with Poe's methods. Especially if Ben isn't the big evil Renperor everyone expected.
@Night Huntress

Really? I thought, "Oh God. The beautiful friendship gang is coming." Laughing

@Cowgirlsamurai

I most definitely see Rey butting heads with Poe, and not in a fun, comedic way. And OMG I can just imagine an unplanned ForceSkype moment - Poe comes around the corner, and says, "Who were you talking to???" Now that's the type of conflict within the BFG I'm looking forward to...
avatar
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 7282
Likes : 41434
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Age : 102
Localisation : Atlanta, GA

Back to top Go down

Re: Episode IX: Spoilers and Rumors

Post by Darth_Awakened on Thu 10 May 2018, 2:28 pm

Speaking of Resistance - I must say I'am biased here. I didn't like the characters from the Resistance in TLJ. Apart from Leia they're seemed flat and uninteresting.
Yeah, I can agree partially that Oscar Isaacs' energy brought some "sparks" in it - but it was down to the actor, not how the character was written.

My main problem while speculating about the Resistance in IX - is the question: Will there be "The Resistance" in a sense of an organized group at all?

At the end of TLJ they're basically down to one ship (not a war ship but rather a freighter) and a few soldiers + 3 droids + Chewie +1 Porg.
What they go
nna do? Go to Canto Baight to buy some X wings from the rich a**holes as DJ showed us they already did before? Contact all the possible allies around the galaxy? (We were also shown that those allies are not so eager to come in and help).
If the bigger time jump allows Resistance to stand on their feet completely and becomes Resistance 2.0. and it will be redundant.
Having all of this in mind: I really think that the conflict with the FO will be resolved in some yet unseen way. J.J. was accused of being the "reshasher No1" so maybe he'll take some unexpected route with it this time around.
avatar
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4455
Likes : 22076
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Episode IX: Spoilers and Rumors

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Thu 10 May 2018, 2:36 pm

@IoJovi wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@Night Huntress wrote:
@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
I find a disconnect between Rey's super cheery handshake at the end of TLJ and the unimpressed Rey in the comics, lol. I think a bunch of  people are expecting her to be all starry eyed at Poe based on what we got in the film, when supplementary material is painting a different dynamic between the two. Laughing
@Cowgirlsamurai

After I saw TLJ I had the feeling Rey could possibly have an antagonistic relationship with Poe in IX. Not real enemies of course but that she won't agree with Poe's methods. Especially if Ben isn't the big evil Renperor everyone expected.
@Night Huntress

Really? I thought, "Oh God. The beautiful friendship gang is coming." Laughing

@Cowgirlsamurai

I most definitely see Rey butting heads with Poe, and not in a fun, comedic way.  And OMG I can just imagine an unplanned ForceSkype moment - Poe comes around the corner, and says, "Who were you talking to???"  Now that's the type of conflict within the BFG I'm looking forward to...
@IoJovi

That's what I'm hoping for too. Laughing
avatar
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1939
Likes : 9635
Date d'inscription : 2017-03-30
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Episode IX: Spoilers and Rumors

Post by Night Huntress on Thu 10 May 2018, 2:41 pm

@Darth_Awakened

that's why I hope we don't get too big of a time- jump. I don't want the resistance/now rebellion rebuilt. I want something different.
Make it a uprising within the FO or the oppressed systems Hunger Games style - whatever. But please please no Empire against Rebellion rehash.
I'm so tired of that. Sleep
avatar
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1680
Likes : 8016
Date d'inscription : 2017-08-24
Age : 36
Localisation : Switzerland

Back to top Go down

Re: Episode IX: Spoilers and Rumors

Post by Piper Maru on Thu 10 May 2018, 2:44 pm

My cat using her litter box is more engaging to watch than the Resistance plot from TFA and TLJ, so I really hope JJ does something interesting with them for the sake of the entertainment value in IX. Yes, I know they're "Leia's legacy" and all, so no grand risks are going to be taken there, but come on. There needs to be more than "oh no, we're the spark that is going to rebuild the Republic" speeches for me to care about them.


Last edited by Piper Maru on Thu 10 May 2018, 4:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1283
Likes : 10223
Date d'inscription : 2017-01-15
Age : 27
Localisation : Brazil

Back to top Go down

Re: Episode IX: Spoilers and Rumors

Post by Darth_Awakened on Thu 10 May 2018, 2:45 pm

@Night Huntress wrote:@Darth_Awakened

that's why I hope we don't get too big of a time- jump. I don't want the resistance/now rebellion rebuilt. I want something different.
Make it a uprising within the FO or the oppressed systems Hunger Games style - whatever. But please please no Empire against Rebellion rehash.
I'm so tired of that. Sleep
@Night Huntress

Agree 100% It will make a total 1:1 rehash of previous 4 or so movies. If it happens I'am bringing my favorite pillow in the theater to take a good nap during the movie. Sleep
avatar
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4455
Likes : 22076
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Episode IX: Spoilers and Rumors

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Thu 10 May 2018, 2:49 pm

@Piper Maru wrote:My cat using her litter box is more engaging to watch than the Resistance plot from TFA and TLJ, so I really hope JJ does something interesting with them for the sake the entertainment value in IX. Yes, I know they're "Leia's legacy" and all, so no grand risks are going to be taken there, but come on. There needs to be more than "oh no, we're the spark that is going to rebuild the Republic" speeches for me to care about them.
@Piper Maru

LOL. The bolded has to be one of the funniest lines ever posted on this forum!

Assuming that JJ does want to get interesting with the Resistance in IX, Rian left JJ with the perfect setup for that by having Leia essentially handing over leadership of the Resistance to Poe at the end of TLJ.

It gives JJ a nice out to have Leia out trying to drum up support or whatever for the Resistance in IX...while Poe can be the one demonstrating questionable tactics/leadership in IX.
avatar
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 5651
Likes : 29328
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Localisation : Seattle, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: Episode IX: Spoilers and Rumors

Post by vaderito on Thu 10 May 2018, 2:53 pm

@Piper Maru wrote:My cat using her litter box is more engaging to watch than the Resistance plot from TFA and TLJ, so I really hope JJ does something interesting with them for the sake the entertainment value in IX. Yes, I know they're "Leia's legacy" and all, so no grand risks are going to be taken there, but come on. There needs to be more than "oh no, we're the spark that is going to rebuild the Republic" speeches for me to care about them.
@Piper Maru

lol!  lol!  lol!  lol!

the only interesting thing he could do is kill them in the first 3 min. lets not rpetend that third movie will somehow solve the resistance problem that 2 movies couldn't. They are what they are, a throwaway reference ro rebels designed for familiarity and "Look, this is like OT and not like PT." no other function beyond that.
avatar
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 10142
Likes : 48897
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Episode IX: Spoilers and Rumors

Post by Night Huntress on Thu 10 May 2018, 3:00 pm

@Piper Maru lol! lol! lol!

Made my day!!!

Star Wars -Episode IX: Rise of the **** cat!  WinksD
avatar
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1680
Likes : 8016
Date d'inscription : 2017-08-24
Age : 36
Localisation : Switzerland

Back to top Go down

Re: Episode IX: Spoilers and Rumors

Post by snufkin on Thu 10 May 2018, 3:04 pm

@IoJovi I hope so versus it being the Beautiful Friendship Gang, which has about as dull as an episode of Veggie Tales or any of the Christian children's entertainment programs I had to sit through as a kid. Because that literally seems to be the expectation of a lot of fans who booster for Rey the Jedi Kindergarten Teacher and her awesome friends defeat her emo cousin-sibling Kyle Ron and his Evil Boyband. Like @nickandnora mentions, if you've seen Oscar Isaac in Inside Llewelyn Davis, Show Me a Hero or A Most Dangerous Year, it's just a ridiculous waste of him to have Poe be a bargain basement version of Stacker Pentecost from Pacific Rim. David Lean is one of the main touchstone inspirations of the franchise, so there's plenty of them to draw on for an inspiration of showing the clashing personalities/relationships/agendas in that type of situation. Or at least do a better job b/c the PT was George Lucas' ham-fisted attempt at a Doctor Zhivago type story.

That said, I fully expect that we'll get a 1-dimensional depiction of the Resistance and no questioning of Poe's leadership. We were all expecting from the cast comments and Bloodline to show a more complicated situation and that just didn't pan out in the film. Which was too bad, it would've made for a more compelling B Plot. And if the Logan's Run rumor is legit, based on the ending with Broom Boi (who will not be an adorable lisping moppet Rey trains), it's that they were a spark of hope. That the Resistance will inspire others to confront and take on the First Order and the powers behind it as a shadow network like Sanctuary in Logan's Run, the Human Project in Children of Men, or the Replicant Underground in BR2049.

@Piper Maru wrote:My cat using her litter box is more engaging to watch than the Resistance plot from TFA and TLJ, so I really hope JJ does something interesting with them for the sake the entertainment value in IX.

I have an idea of what he could do!



---
Mod note: the rest of the cat memes were moved to the Maz's Castle social thread. You can find that discussion here.


Last edited by Darth Rowan on Sat 12 May 2018, 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Mod note)
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 7841
Likes : 35594
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-16
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: Episode IX: Spoilers and Rumors

Post by Saracene on Thu 10 May 2018, 4:40 pm

I totally agree that the Resistance could have used spicing up, but unfortunately I think that the time for exploring a real conflict or ambiguity has passed and should have happened in the middle of the trilogy. Even if you look at Rogue One, by the end of the story all ambiguities go out of the window and we just have a heroic bunch on a brave noble mission. There's a setup for an internal conflict in the FO, but the expectation is that it will crumble in the last stretch of the trilogy. The "crumbling" stage for the Resistance has already happened in TLJ and from now on they'll be on an upward trajectory towards victory.
avatar
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2058
Likes : 13173
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-27
Age : 38
Localisation : Melbourne

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Episode IX: Spoilers and Rumors

Post by motherofpearl1 on Sat 12 May 2018, 11:57 pm

Probably....but I just can't feel the same liking for the Resistance as I did for the original rebellion; perhaps it's because I have so much sympathy for Kylo! Very Happy
avatar
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2535
Likes : 10719
Date d'inscription : 2016-07-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Episode IX: Spoilers and Rumors

Post by BB-Rey on Sun 13 May 2018, 1:06 pm

I saw in the WSJ story about Colin Trevorrow there was this quote from J.J.. it makes me very curious what kinds of things he has in mind as I remember him really thinking the Knights of Ren story had potential for a spinoff movie. It makes me hope they'll have a larger part to play knowing he can still tell some of what he wanted. .

“ I had a bunch of ideas from the beginning, back on VII, of where the story would go,” said Mr. Abrams. “I just never in my wildest dreams thought I would have a chance to execute them.”


Last edited by BB-Rey on Sun 13 May 2018, 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
BB-Rey
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 232
Likes : 681
Date d'inscription : 2017-10-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Episode IX: Spoilers and Rumors

Post by vaderito on Sun 13 May 2018, 1:22 pm

Ok, so I'm gonna post this 4chan thing here too just cause there may be some truth in it. It's nothing major but sounds cool. I'll repost it in crack too cause it's 4chan:


I have it on a good authority that some Resistance members will equip themselves with melee weapons similar to Praetorian Guards. Like those weapons, theirs have blades that are small lightsabers. My guess is that they'll fight characters who may be wielding lightsabers but that's just my guess. My source only told me about the weapons and seeing Rose with essentially 2 katana-like blades and completely different outfit from what she wore in TLJ. The source wasn't sure it was her but was assured it was and that other characters have drastically different look themselves, very unlike Rebel-era style sported in TFA and TLJ. That tells me that some sort of time jump is confirmed. Since my source only saw Rose, I received a description of the new outfit that is form fitting with some sort of armored chest and shoulders and colored grey and black. her hair looked long and loose. The person hasn't seen other characters but was told that Finn and Kaydel have similar outfit and their own melee weapons (no description given).

avatar
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 10142
Likes : 48897
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Episode IX: Spoilers and Rumors

Post by YeeRees on Sun 13 May 2018, 1:39 pm

@vaderito wrote:Ok, so I'm gonna post this 4chan thing here too just cause there may be some truth in it. It's nothing major but sounds cool. I'll repost it in crack too cause it's 4chan:


I have it on a good authority that some Resistance members will equip themselves with melee weapons similar to Praetorian Guards. Like those weapons, theirs have blades that are small lightsabers. My guess is that they'll fight characters who may be wielding lightsabers but that's just my guess. My source only told me about the weapons and seeing Rose with essentially 2 katana-like blades and completely different outfit from what she wore in TLJ. The source wasn't sure it was her but was assured it was and that other characters have drastically different look themselves, very unlike Rebel-era style sported in TFA and TLJ. That tells me that some sort of time jump is confirmed. Since my source only saw Rose, I received a description of the new outfit that is form fitting with some sort of armored chest and shoulders and colored grey and black. her hair looked long and loose. The person hasn't seen other characters but was told that Finn and Kaydel have similar outfit and their own melee weapons (no description given).

@vaderito

I’m reluctant to give any rumours credence at this early stage, but I do have a headcanon that Rey will be training some of the young Resistance fighters in her styles of combat, especially if they’re going up against Kylo and the Knights of Ren. I’m not sure she will be gathering together force sensitives at this point. But it’s clear from characters like Chirrut in Rogue One and Sabine in Rebels (plus Finn could probably train to fight with a lightsaber and/or melee weapons after wielding both in TFA and TLJ) that it’s possible to learn to become proficient in Jedi ways of combat without being force sensitive. It makes more sense to me for Rey to train people already accustomed to fighting.
avatar
YeeRees
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 51
Likes : 209
Date d'inscription : 2018-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Episode IX: Spoilers and Rumors

Post by AhsokaTano on Sun 13 May 2018, 1:42 pm

@ vaderito
Interesting if true as would expect them to look completely different since they probably have to keep a low profile ( as they increase their numbers ) and blend in wherever they are living (if the first order has put a bounty on their heads for instance ).
@yeerees
Yeah I would expect rey to train with all sorts of weapons- as you say we saw chirrut do this and if resistance is on the run they have to make do with what they can get hold of weapon wise too as i imagine it’s not going to be easy for them . And as you say if they are coming up against kylo
And his knights they need to train with melee weapons.

Sent from Topic'it App
avatar
AhsokaTano
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 474
Likes : 1453
Date d'inscription : 2017-12-13
Localisation : London UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Episode IX: Spoilers and Rumors

Post by rawpowah on Sun 13 May 2018, 2:00 pm

Everyone training and looking like they're in a Mortal Kombat video game Laughing

The KoR don't have lightsabers though, and tbh seeing a bunch of people wielding lightsabers is overkill for me (like that Arena fight in AotC).
avatar
rawpowah
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 819
Likes : 4227
Date d'inscription : 2017-11-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Episode IX: Spoilers and Rumors

Post by vaderito on Sun 13 May 2018, 2:02 pm

@YeeRees wrote:
@vaderito wrote:Ok, so I'm gonna post this 4chan thing here too just cause there may be some truth in it. It's nothing major but sounds cool. I'll repost it in crack too cause it's 4chan:


I have it on a good authority that some Resistance members will equip themselves with melee weapons similar to Praetorian Guards. Like those weapons, theirs have blades that are small lightsabers. My guess is that they'll fight characters who may be wielding lightsabers but that's just my guess. My source only told me about the weapons and seeing Rose with essentially 2 katana-like blades and completely different outfit from what she wore in TLJ. The source wasn't sure it was her but was assured it was and that other characters have drastically different look themselves, very unlike Rebel-era style sported in TFA and TLJ. That tells me that some sort of time jump is confirmed. Since my source only saw Rose, I received a description of the new outfit that is form fitting with some sort of armored chest and shoulders and colored grey and black. her hair looked long and loose. The person hasn't seen other characters but was told that Finn and Kaydel have similar outfit and their own melee weapons (no description given).

@vaderito

I’m reluctant to give any rumours credence at this early stage, but I do have a headcanon that Rey will be training some of the young Resistance fighters in her styles of combat, especially if they’re going up against Kylo and the Knights of Ren. I’m not sure she will be gathering together force sensitives at this point. But it’s clear from characters like Chirrut in Rogue One and Sabine in Rebels (plus Finn could probably train to fight with a lightsaber and/or melee weapons after wielding both in TFA and TLJ) that it’s possible to learn to become proficient in Jedi ways of combat without being force sensitive. It makes more sense to me for Rey to train people already accustomed to fighting.
@YeeRees

That's a great point. Everyone expects her to train FS but maybe she trains non-FS to fight in that style, as you say?
avatar
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 10142
Likes : 48897
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Episode IX: Spoilers and Rumors

Post by YeeRees on Sun 13 May 2018, 2:40 pm

@vaderito wrote:
@YeeRees wrote:
@vaderito wrote:Ok, so I'm gonna post this 4chan thing here too just cause there may be some truth in it. It's nothing major but sounds cool. I'll repost it in crack too cause it's 4chan:


I have it on a good authority that some Resistance members will equip themselves with melee weapons similar to Praetorian Guards. Like those weapons, theirs have blades that are small lightsabers. My guess is that they'll fight characters who may be wielding lightsabers but that's just my guess. My source only told me about the weapons and seeing Rose with essentially 2 katana-like blades and completely different outfit from what she wore in TLJ. The source wasn't sure it was her but was assured it was and that other characters have drastically different look themselves, very unlike Rebel-era style sported in TFA and TLJ. That tells me that some sort of time jump is confirmed. Since my source only saw Rose, I received a description of the new outfit that is form fitting with some sort of armored chest and shoulders and colored grey and black. her hair looked long and loose. The person hasn't seen other characters but was told that Finn and Kaydel have similar outfit and their own melee weapons (no description given).

@vaderito

I’m reluctant to give any rumours credence at this early stage, but I do have a headcanon that Rey will be training some of the young Resistance fighters in her styles of combat, especially if they’re going up against Kylo and the Knights of Ren. I’m not sure she will be gathering together force sensitives at this point. But it’s clear from characters like Chirrut in Rogue One and Sabine in Rebels (plus Finn could probably train to fight with a lightsaber and/or melee weapons after wielding both in TFA and TLJ) that it’s possible to learn to become proficient in Jedi ways of combat without being force sensitive. It makes more sense to me for Rey to train people already accustomed to fighting.
@YeeRees

That's a great point. Everyone expects her to train FS but maybe she trains non-FS to fight in that style, as you say?
@vaderito

It probably won’t happen but it makes sense to me.

There has been speculation about Rey finding other force sensitives to train. I’m doubtful though because, if we are getting the Knights of Ren too, that’s a whole lot of new characters we don’t know anything about yet so where is the emotional investment when they fight? On the other hand, if it’s Rey and Finn, Rose, Connix and other young Resistance fighters against Kylo and the Knights of Ren, the stakes are immediately higher for the audience. They wouldn’t necessarily need to use lightsabers because the Knights looked to be armed with more melee type weapons in the concept art. But JJ might like the idea of a big lightsaber fight.
avatar
YeeRees
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Messages : 51
Likes : 209
Date d'inscription : 2018-03-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Episode IX: Spoilers and Rumors

Post by californiagirl on Mon 14 May 2018, 12:42 pm

Random Reylo Thoughts of the Day:

It occurred to me that in the pre-TLJ days, especially before about September-October of last year, much of the discussion here and in Reylo fandom at large was rather different. So much of Reylo was subtext, and it was only a few scenes, or derived more indirectly from the film at large. There was the question if this was truly even going to be a thing or not, and if it would end well or tragically. It's interesting how after TLJ there was the idea that Ben would have to pay for his crimes, like exile or another bittersweet ending, and now that seems to have been left by the wayside.

There were all these conversations about archetypes and myths and storytelling and literature and filmmaking and other films and stories. Now it's the centerpiece of the saga, and at least to some (meaning us), nowhere near as subtle as it was. In many ways, it is the main conflict left in the series.

Reylo used to be somewhat more theoretical, and now it's just glaringly in our faces with the cast, director, and official social media pushing this narrative, making jokes about hand sex and "what's your favorite ship?". In a weird way, with so much more actual canon Reylo to talk about, that actually limits the conversation, since there's less room for interpretation and speculation. It's just really had a massive impact on this entire discussion. Anywho, these are my rambling Reylo revelations of the moment.
avatar
californiagirl
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 953
Likes : 4207
Date d'inscription : 2017-11-12
Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Re: Episode IX: Spoilers and Rumors

Post by SoloSideCousin on Mon 14 May 2018, 2:03 pm

@californiagirl wrote:Random Reylo Thoughts of the Day:

It occurred to me that in the pre-TLJ days, especially before about September-October of last year, much of the discussion here and in Reylo fandom at large was rather different. So much of Reylo was subtext, and it was only a few scenes, or derived more indirectly from the film at large. There was the question if this was truly even going to be a thing or not, and if it would end well or tragically. It's interesting how after TLJ there was the idea that Ben would have to pay for his crimes, like exile or another bittersweet ending, and now that seems to have been left by the wayside.

There were all these conversations about archetypes and myths and storytelling and literature and filmmaking and other films and stories. Now it's the centerpiece of the saga, and at least to some (meaning us), nowhere near as subtle as it was. In many ways, it is the main conflict left in the series.

Reylo used to be somewhat more theoretical, and now it's just glaringly in our faces with the cast, director, and official social media pushing this narrative, making jokes about hand sex and "what's your favorite ship?". In a weird way, with so much more actual canon Reylo to talk about, that actually limits the conversation, since there's less room for interpretation and speculation. It's just really had a massive impact on this entire discussion. Anywho, these are my rambling Reylo revelations of the moment.
@californiagirl

Spot on with all of this. Before TLJ, there were a wide range of options of how all of this would play out, and as a result, the conversations could go in a million different directions.

Now a path has been chosen. There are still many possibilities for this particular path to resolve itself, but there are a lot of paths that have been closed forever, including a lot of really gawdawful paths thankfully.

At the same time there are some factors that mess with straightforward textual analysis. TFA and TLJ were set up with the expectation that CF would be alive. There is also this question of whether or not the BFG flying away was meant to be subversive. There is a lot of evidence that it is, especially with Rian writing it and with JJ's subversion in TFA. But at the same time, there is this open question of how far the subversion will go. Based on what they did with Luke, you can argue that it could go very far, but you still don't know because there is still that powerful sense of "star wars is *this*." There is also a general sense of "WTF next?" aside from Ben's redemption somehow and some form of Reylo, because the Resistance is like this awful dead weight that they are going to have to spend time on. I think all of these things put a damper on more free speculation.
avatar
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 4639
Likes : 22436
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Episode IX: Spoilers and Rumors

Post by californiagirl on Mon 14 May 2018, 2:58 pm

@SoloSideCousin The whole Resistance thing is certainly throwing the SW fandom off as a whole, whether because it isn't very interesting as presented at the moment, or because it seems very safe and predictable and sort of seems to undo the more subversive elements of TLJ. If the BFG wasn't there, I wonder if fans would even notice any other future storylines (though that would probably mean that Rey and Kylo would be on the same side of the conflict at that point, should Rey not be with BFG).

I know there has been criticism from both here and certainly other locales of SW fans for TLJ throwing a bunch of conflict out the window. This includes Luke, Snoke, Rey's parents, and so forth, which were all the main points of discussions in most circles pre-TLJ. While TFA was partly to blame, I think some of the potential for subverting those things was already in place, and it may sound harsh, but I do kind of blame the audience more than the movie itself.

This sounds a little cold, but when Luke died, not only did I think it was really well done, but after the movie, I felt this weird sense of relief. I know not everyone here liked the creative decisions of TLJ, but in a way it's nice to not have to carry the burden of Luke-Snoke-Rey's parents for even more years until the next film. I wasn't even paying super close attention to fandom before TLJ marketing, but the speculation about Luke igniting the green, Rey as another Luke, and basically anything other than Kylo, was obnoxious and exhausting.

Whether it's the movie or the viewers who are to blame, many are wandering around having no idea what IX is going to be about, and that's unfortunate, but I'm oddly glad. TLJ knocked over a bunch of holy SW pillars, so that now JJ is free to make Reylo: The Motion Picture.
avatar
californiagirl
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 953
Likes : 4207
Date d'inscription : 2017-11-12
Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Re: Episode IX: Spoilers and Rumors

Post by IoJovi on Mon 14 May 2018, 3:05 pm

@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@californiagirl wrote:Random Reylo Thoughts of the Day:

It occurred to me that in the pre-TLJ days, especially before about September-October of last year, much of the discussion here and in Reylo fandom at large was rather different. So much of Reylo was subtext, and it was only a few scenes, or derived more indirectly from the film at large. There was the question if this was truly even going to be a thing or not, and if it would end well or tragically. It's interesting how after TLJ there was the idea that Ben would have to pay for his crimes, like exile or another bittersweet ending, and now that seems to have been left by the wayside.

There were all these conversations about archetypes and myths and storytelling and literature and filmmaking and other films and stories. Now it's the centerpiece of the saga, and at least to some (meaning us), nowhere near as subtle as it was. In many ways, it is the main conflict left in the series.

Reylo used to be somewhat more theoretical, and now it's just glaringly in our faces with the cast, director, and official social media pushing this narrative, making jokes about hand sex and "what's your favorite ship?". In a weird way, with so much more actual canon Reylo to talk about, that actually limits the conversation, since there's less room for interpretation and speculation. It's just really had a massive impact on this entire discussion. Anywho, these are my rambling Reylo revelations of the moment.
@californiagirl

Spot on with all of this. Before TLJ, there were a wide range of options of how all of this would play out, and as a result,  the conversations could go in a million different directions.

Now a path has been chosen. There are still many possibilities for this particular path to resolve itself, but there are a lot of paths that have been closed forever, including a lot of really gawdawful paths thankfully.

At the same time there are some factors that mess with straightforward textual analysis. TFA and TLJ were set up with the expectation that CF would be alive. There is also this question of whether or not the BFG flying away was meant to be subversive.  There is a lot of evidence that it is, especially with Rian writing it and with JJ's subversion in TFA. But at the same time, there is this open question of how far the subversion will go. Based on what they did with Luke, you can argue that it could go very far, but you still don't know because there is still that powerful sense of "star wars is *this*." There is also a general sense of "WTF next?" aside from Ben's redemption somehow and some form of Reylo, because the Resistance is like this awful dead weight that they are going to have to spend time on. I think all of these things put a damper on more free speculation.
@SoloSideCousin

I totally agree with this too.  With Reylo very much subtextual in TFA, noticeable by only by chosen camera angles and longing stares, there were 800 ways things could go.  Would it be a straight up one sided villainous crush?  Would the unfathomable happen and would it end up being mutual even if only at the very end?  Wow, now look where we are - mutual canon Reylo was pretty much shoved in our faces!  And while I'm ecstatic that we have gotten this far, sometimes I miss the excitement and fascination of "OMG what IF we are right???" that led the conversation for two years on this site.  

As for Carrie, I'm at the point now where I'd actually be surprised if we DIDN'T get a recast, so that's what I'm sticking with until I hear otherwise.     Laughing


Last edited by IoJovi on Mon 14 May 2018, 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 7282
Likes : 41434
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Age : 102
Localisation : Atlanta, GA

Back to top Go down

Re: Episode IX: Spoilers and Rumors

Post by ISeeAnIsland on Mon 14 May 2018, 3:11 pm

@IoJovi wrote:
@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@californiagirl wrote:Random Reylo Thoughts of the Day:

It occurred to me that in the pre-TLJ days, especially before about September-October of last year, much of the discussion here and in Reylo fandom at large was rather different. So much of Reylo was subtext, and it was only a few scenes, or derived more indirectly from the film at large. There was the question if this was truly even going to be a thing or not, and if it would end well or tragically. It's interesting how after TLJ there was the idea that Ben would have to pay for his crimes, like exile or another bittersweet ending, and now that seems to have been left by the wayside.

There were all these conversations about archetypes and myths and storytelling and literature and filmmaking and other films and stories. Now it's the centerpiece of the saga, and at least to some (meaning us), nowhere near as subtle as it was. In many ways, it is the main conflict left in the series.

Reylo used to be somewhat more theoretical, and now it's just glaringly in our faces with the cast, director, and official social media pushing this narrative, making jokes about hand sex and "what's your favorite ship?". In a weird way, with so much more actual canon Reylo to talk about, that actually limits the conversation, since there's less room for interpretation and speculation. It's just really had a massive impact on this entire discussion. Anywho, these are my rambling Reylo revelations of the moment.
@californiagirl

Spot on with all of this. Before TLJ, there were a wide range of options of how all of this would play out, and as a result, the conversations could go in a million different directions.

Now a path has been chosen. There are still many possibilities for this particular path to resolve itself, but there are a lot of paths that have been closed forever, including a lot of really gawdawful paths thankfully.

At the same time there are some factors that mess with straightforward textual analysis. TFA and TLJ were set up with the expectation that CF would be alive. There is also this question of whether or not the BFG flying away was meant to be subversive. There is a lot of evidence that it is, especially with Rian writing it and with JJ's subversion in TFA. But at the same time, there is this open question of how far the subversion will go. Based on what they did with Luke, you can argue that it could go very far, but you still don't know because there is still that powerful sense of "star wars is *this*." There is also a general sense of "WTF next?" aside from Ben's redemption somehow and some form of Reylo, because the Resistance is like this awful dead weight that they are going to have to spend time on. I think all of these things put a damper on more free speculation.
@SoloSideCousin

I totally agree with this too. With Reylo very much subtextual in TFA, noticeable by only by chosen camera angles and longing stares, there were 800 ways things could go. Would be a straight up one sided villainous crush? Would the unfathomable happy and would it end up being mutual even if only at the very end? Wow, now look where we are - mutual canon Reylo was pretty much shoved in our faces! And while I'm ecstatic that we have gotten this far, sometimes I miss the excitement and fascination of "OMG what IF we are right???" that led the conversation for two years on this site.

As for Carrie, I'm at the point now where I'd actually be surprised if we DIDN'T get a recast, so that's what I'm sticking with until I hear otherwise. Laughing

@IoJovi

On top of all that, a lot of us thought that TLJ-would be a lot more heavy on the Force lore/Force history than it ended up being. We had quite a few interesting theories come out of our speculation about how Kylo and Rey would tie into whatever the Force wanted from them. (*sniff* I still love the idea of that spoiler that turned out to not be true that Ben fell in Rey's place, Rey being the harbinger of doom, etc.)
avatar
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 5651
Likes : 29328
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-25
Localisation : Seattle, WA

Back to top Go down

Re: Episode IX: Spoilers and Rumors

Post by Tex on Mon 14 May 2018, 3:41 pm

@cowgirlsamurai wrote:I most definitely see Rey butting heads with Poe, and not in a fun, comedic way. And OMG I can just imagine an unplanned ForceSkype moment - Poe comes around the corner, and says, "Who were you talking to???" Now that's the type of conflict within the BFG I'm looking forward to...

@cowgirlsamurai

I'm in total agreement with this line of thinking. The whole Rey and Poe dynamic has been on my mind lately. Mostly on why they put what I think is a strange, forced moment between them at the end of TLJ. The more I think about it the more it feels tacked on for some sort of foreshadowing. I know when I first saw that scene it raised my eyebrow a bit. I was worried they may go in the love triangle direction. I'm sure they're would be a lot of happy fanboys if they did pair Rey up with Poe romantically.

However, the more I've ruminated on it, I started to think Poe would make a wonderful foil to Rey. He's the trigger happy, let's burn everything to the ground, fly boy. She's grounded, compassionate and forgiving. I just see him looking at Rey as a weapon for the Resistance cause. He'll charm her into doing things she's not fully comfortable with. I hope they do butt heads and that Poe is suspicious of her, questioning how she got on The Supremacy and how she killed Snoke and escaped.

Poe sneaking around behind her back, following her, would be wonderful. I'd love a scenario where he sees her talking to "someone" who's not there. Maybe she calls out to Ben by name and he figures it out. In any case, Poe's suspicion of Rey should mirror Hux's suspicion of Kylo.
avatar
Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Messages : 590
Likes : 3618
Date d'inscription : 2017-05-07
Age : 27
Localisation : Houston, TX

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum