Timeline of what can we expect to see, from now until December 2019

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Re: Timeline of what can we expect to see, from now until December 2019

Post by SheLitAFire on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 8:56 am

@Let The Past Die

Re: Romance gate
When the VF spread came out in May it was accompanied by an article by David Kamp. In the article (and I'm paraphrasing here) it was quoted that there wouldn't be romance or a central romance in TLJ. Not like there was in Empire Strikes Back. No Han-Leia type romance.
Then, of course, people freaked wondering if there was any romance at all. And then there was some kind of VF comment from Kamp himself I think (on Twitter?) about how fan ships are just all fanfiction and not real or legitimate... just "fan fantasies".
I hunted this down in the archived thread from when the article was first released on May 25
A big, central-to-the-plot romance. For all the fan-fiction fantasies of “Reylo” (an imagined union of Daisy Ridley’s Rey and Adam Driver’s Kylo Ren)

Rian did damage control a couple of days later saying that the article misquoted him (he emphasized that any romance won't be like the Han-Leia romance) and added opinions that weren't his own (ie-fan fantasies).

The whole dis on fan fantasies and fanfiction was really annoying. By continuing the story George Lucas started what JJ & Rian are doing is basically fanfiction lol... they just have more money and status to make their own stories canon.
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Let The Past Die on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 9:15 am

@SheLitAFire wrote:@Let The Past Die

When the VF spread came out in May it was accompanied by an article by David Kamp. In the article (and I'm paraphrasing here) it was quoted that there wouldn't be romance or a central romance in TLJ. Not like there was in Empire Strikes Back. No Han-Leia type romance.
Then, of course, people freaked wondering if there was any romance at all. And then there was some kind of VF comment from Kamp himself I think (on Twitter?) about how fan ships are just all fanfiction and not real or legitimate... just "fan fantasies".
I hunted this down in the archived thread from when the article was first released on May 25
A big, central-to-the-plot romance. For all the fan-fiction fantasies of “Reylo” (an imagined union of Daisy Ridley’s Rey and Adam Driver’s Kylo Ren)

Rian did damage control a couple of days later saying that the article misquoted him (he emphasized that any romance won't be like the Han-Leia romance) and added opinions that weren't his own (ie-fan fantasies).

The whole dis on fan fantasies and fanfiction was really annoying. By continuing the story George Lucas started what JJ & Rian are doing is basically fanfiction lol... they just have more money and status to make their own stories canon.
@SheLitAFire

Thanks for reply. I can see how it would have been difficult to read that. Thank goodness RJ clarified it!
Let The Past Die
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 9:24 am

@Let The Past Die wrote:
@SheLitAFire wrote:@Let The Past Die

@SheLitAFire

Thanks for reply. I can see how it would have been difficult to read that. Thank goodness RJ clarified it!
@Let The Past Die
That description ("fanfiction fantasies") was not only in the article, David Kamp severely butchered Rian's words in his editorial in some bizarre attempt to "debunk" theories. He quoted Rian on saying there was no romance in TLJ at all despite Rian's actual response, which was that there was no central romance like Han and Leia. 

David Kamp later had to release the real transcript on Twitter, when it became obvious that he misquoted Rian big time. Rian's genuine response reads like a vague confirmation of slow-burn, romantic drama Reylo. And that's exactly what it ended up being, as he clarified in an interview in Japan some months later.  Rolling Eyes

Boy did Kamp end up sounding stupid in hindsight given the fact that there are two separate "couples" in TLJ.
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 10:37 am

@vaderito wrote:@Kylo Rey Amazing breakdown. if you can just update the Final trailer entry (October) with that it debuts with Monday Night Football and that tickets go on sale on the same night. I don't recall exactly which MNF it was, Oct 22 I think?
@vaderito

Thanks! Updated my post to include it.

I think I'm one of very few members on this board that was following TFA before it was released (I was already a big SW fan so I was pretty excited and this was before the thought of Reylo ever popped into my head) so I've had more experience with the LF marketing machine.

@Night Huntress I remember there was even a quote from RJ saying that the trailer wasn't misleading or trying to trick us and that everything was all there. The Kylo shot on Crait had us all flummoxed I think. Everyone was arguing about that one from the trailer release till the actual film came out. It ruined so many predicted timelines lol.

@Let The Past Die If you want to read more about #Vanityfairgate you can see the archived thread here: http://reylo.skyforum.net/t515-vanity-fair-photos-thread and here: http://reylo.skyforum.net/t523-vanity-fair-photos-thread

People were freaking out and asking Rian on twitter and he had no clue what they were talking about lol! . If you look at the actual transcript that @FrolickingFizzgig posted you'll notice that Kamp even cuts him off at one point (just when he was about to articulate his feelings on the matter). It was such a terrible hack job.
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 10:42 am

@Kylo Rey wrote:
@vaderito wrote:@Kylo Rey Amazing breakdown. if you can just update the Final trailer entry (October) with that it debuts with Monday Night Football and that tickets go on sale on the same night. I don't recall exactly which MNF it was, Oct 22 I think?
@vaderito

Thanks! Updated my post to include it.

I think I'm one of very few members on this board that was following TFA before it was released (I was already a big SW fan so I was pretty excited and this was before the thought of Reylo ever popped into my head) so I've had more experience with the LF marketing machine.

@Night Huntress I remember there was even a quote from RJ saying that the trailer wasn't misleading or trying to trick us and that everything was all there. The Kylo shot on Crait had us all flummoxed I think. Everyone was arguing about that one from the trailer release till the actual film came out. It ruined so many predicted timelines lol.

@Let The Past Die If you want to read more about #Vanityfairgate you can see the archived thread here: http://reylo.skyforum.net/t515-vanity-fair-photos-thread and here: http://reylo.skyforum.net/t523-vanity-fair-photos-thread

People were freaking out and asking Rian on twitter and he had no clue what they were talking about lol! . If you look at the actual transcript that @FrolickingFizzgig posted you'll notice that Kamp even cuts him off at one point (just when he was about to articulate his feelings on the matter). It was such a terrible hack job.
@Kylo Rey
That was the craziest thing! Who cuts off the director they're interviewing mid-explanation and then includes it in the transcript!? That's some Alexandra Petri "I'm a #feminist but teen girls are so dumb, lulz" level WTF right there. Laughing
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by nickandnora on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 12:27 pm

Even reading that whole quote from Rian, I'm not entirely sure what he was trying to say. I mean... Han and Leia weren't unrequited. And they were less of an actual centerpiece than Reylo is. And Reylo has more of the slow burn thing going on. Bizarre. Obviously moot now that the movie is out, but I'd guess he was half trying to cover up the surprise and half talking about Finn/Rose who definitely don't fit that description.

nickandnora
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 1:14 pm

@nickandnora wrote:Even reading that whole quote from Rian, I'm not entirely sure what he was trying to say. I mean... Han and Leia weren't unrequited. And they were less of an actual centerpiece than Reylo is. And Reylo has more of the slow burn thing going on. Bizarre. Obviously moot now that the movie is out, but I'd guess he was half trying to cover up the surprise and half talking about Finn/Rose who definitely don't fit that description.
@nickandnora

You're not alone. I think that whole quote and explanation was a mess even in context and it doesn't surprise me that Vanity Fair got confused. In retrospect, Rian was clearly trying not to spoil Rey and Kylo's real romantic dynamic.
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 1:42 pm

I just took it as Rian meant that Rey and Kylo's love story will be different from Han and Leia's love story. I didn't read it as there will be no love story at all. I think the fact that Rian took the time to do some damage control means that their love story is very important. Because if it wasn't important, Rian wouldn't have bothered to clarify things.

Edit. Now that I'm reading the exact quote again, I also wonder what Rian meant by "unrequited". I can't remember if Han and Leia got together in the 2nd OT film or not. If they didn't, maybe that's what he means?

Back to top Go down

Post by Let The Past Die on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 2:10 pm

Thanks for those links to the romance gate threads @Kylo Rey I quickly scanned through them, boy did you all go on one big roller-coaster ride.
Something I'm taking away from it, is if there are any more gates, then I'm taking it all with a pinch of salt and to bide my time. The only gate I was aware of while being a member was the dubious kelloggate a couple of weeks ago, it actually happened the day I joined, so I wasn't quite on the ball with it, no sooner was I aware, when all the positive stuff followed almost immediately, Rian's Reylo is in the movie comment, the Starwars twitter ship post.
It seems when there is a negative piece, then there is a positive piece that follows as if to say, don't worry hang in there.

Let's hope there aren't many roller-coaster rides over the next 23 months!
Let The Past Die
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by nickandnora on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 2:20 pm

Crystalfox wrote:I just took it as Rian meant that Rey and Kylo's love story will be different from Han and Leia's love story. I didn't read it as there will be no love story at all. I think the fact that Rian took the time to do some damage control means that their love story is very important. Because if it wasn't important, Rian wouldn't have bothered to clarify things.

Edit. Now that I'm reading the exact quote again, I also wonder what Rian meant by "unrequited". I can't remember if Han and Leia got together in the 2nd OT film or not. If they didn't, maybe that's what he means?
@Crystalfox

Yeah, they did get together in the 2nd film. They spent the first maybe third of the film fighting (and I wouldn't call this "unrequited," I'd call this "building sexual tension"), kissed somewhere around the halfway point and were pretty solidly together for the rest of the film. I mean yeah, Han's encased in carbonite at the end and they're not "together" lol. But that's not the definition of "unrequited." It's just a really odd description of Han and Leia's relationship, and not even kind of accurate.

ETA: I mean, really the only way I can read it is that he's talking about Rey and Kylo and lying. "Yeah, there's no love story between two of the leads who have sizzling chemistry. There's no moment where one of the leads heartbreakingly offers the world to the other lead only to be rejected in that moment facillitating an unrequited romance. There's no slow burn romance here that will cause the audience to debate "will they/won't they?!" on social media for 24 months to come. Nope. Move along. Nothing to see here." Lol!

Last edited by nickandnora on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

nickandnora
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 2:26 pm

I'd say unrequited for the OT b/c Han's interest is sparked in the first movie once they come face to face and Leia takes charge of her own rescue while insulting him with lines that were meant to evoke Barbara Stanwyk and a Howard Hawks heroine. So by the time the first movie opens, 3 years have passed, something happened with the two of them and a bounty hunter sent by Jabba when they were on Ord Mandell which has deepened his feelings for her, and she's keeping him at arm's length because he's not "a nice man." The first act of the film is very tense between the two of them because he's more emotionally open about how he feels about her, what he wants and she's trying to be all business and protect herself.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 2:26 pm

@nickandnora wrote:
Crystalfox wrote:I just took it as Rian meant that Rey and Kylo's love story will be different from Han and Leia's love story. I didn't read it as there will be no love story at all. I think the fact that Rian took the time to do some damage control means that their love story is very important. Because if it wasn't important, Rian wouldn't have bothered to clarify things.

@Crystalfox

Yeah, they did get together in the 2nd film. They spent the first maybe third of the film fighting (and I wouldn't call this "unrequited," I'd call this "building sexual tension"), kissed somewhere around the halfway point and were pretty solidly together for the rest of the film. I mean yeah, Han's encased in carbonite at the end and they're not "together" lol. But that's not the definition of "unrequited." It's just a really odd description of Han and Leia's relationship, and not even kind of accurate.
@nickandnora

OK, thanks. Hmm. Yes it is an odd description then. In that case I have no idea what Rian meant by unrequited, lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 2:56 pm

@snufkin wrote:I'd say unrequited for the OT b/c Han's interest is sparked in the first movie once they come face to face and Leia takes charge of her own rescue while insulting him with lines that were meant to evoke Barbara Stanwyk and a Howard Hawks heroine. So by the time the first movie opens, 3 years have passed, something happened with the two of them and a bounty hunter sent by Jabba when they were on Ord Mandell which has deepened his feelings for her, and she's keeping him at arm's length because he's not "a nice man." The first act of the film is very tense between the two of them because he's more emotionally open about how he feels about her, what he wants and she's trying to be all business and protect herself.
@snufkin

To add to this - the Han Solo comic is set after ANH and it starts with basically Leia punching Han in the face and ends with them standing on a balcony hands close together so I guess Han really got that she is warming up to him.
SkyStar
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://vienradzis.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 3:02 pm

@SkyStar She punches him, poor Han! I mean, he is an a**hole and can be a condescending/cocky jerk to her. He more than deserves to be put in his place. But I also found myself really feeling for him when I watched ESB for the first time as an adult. Because Harrison Ford plays him in the Escape from Hoth sequence as really sweating/nervous trying to make sure she's safely out of there and then trying to get all of them out of there on the Falcon. You can see it in how he moves his eyes around once they're on the Falcon and Vader has appeared. Meanwhile Leia's still hurling insults at him and my gut reaction was "if that were me, crush or not, she'd be out on the tarmac for talking that way to the guy who's trying to save her."
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MyOnlyHope on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 3:03 pm

@Crystalfox
When Rian clarified on twitter, he was adamant that he intended "Han to Leia" and "unrequited" to be taken as two separate, unconnected thoughts. Basically he was saying there wouldn't be a Han-Leia-esque romance or any kind of unrequited love. And he was right. There's nothing like Han and Leia in TLJ and there's definitely no unrequited love. It is very much requited. Wink
MyOnlyHope
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 3:21 pm

@snufkin I have to be honest I was pretty shocked when she did that. They are talking about Han's mission and they are close and then she just punches him in the face which felt a bit too overboard. That was something.
SkyStar
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 3:28 pm

@SkyStar Not nice! Wonder if they did that in part b/c Marion decks Indy when they see each other at the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark?
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 3:34 pm

@snufkin wrote:@SkyStar Not nice! Wonder if they did that in part b/c Marion decks Indy when they see each other at the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark?
@snufkin

hey maybe, good call!
Though Indy probably desverved it a bit more than Han, I guess.
SkyStar
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 4:22 pm

@SkyStar wrote:@snufkin I have to be honest I was pretty shocked when she did that. They are talking about Han's mission and they are close and then she just punches him in the face which felt a bit too overboard. That was something.
@SkyStar

LOL. I've only seen the one page of the comic SkyStar shared- but I think Leia punches Han to create the cover story of them having a fight - so he has 'a good reason to go' - in order to cover the mission he is leaving on.. but. maybe I've completely misunderstood!>I gotta read that comic, looks like fun!
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 4:32 pm

@MyOnlyHope wrote:

@Crystalfox
When Rian clarified on twitter, he was adamant that he intended "Han to Leia" and "unrequited" to be taken as two separate, unconnected thoughts. Basically he was saying there wouldn't be a Han-Leia-esque romance or any kind of unrequited love. And he was right. There's nothing like Han and Leia in TLJ and there's definitely no unrequited love. It is very much requited. Wink
@MyOnlyHope

Yep. Rey and Kylo are more like Anakin and Padme and he conveniently didn't mention that love story at all.
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Xylo Ren on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 4:33 pm

Novel and Novel-gate type things in March

Forces of Destiny and appropriate gates in March

DVD comes out, new observations and meta to follow

Possible Star Wars Celebration location and date announcement May 4th

Filming in June

Filming gates and leaks to follow

Jan 2019 Title is announced

Nothing else until Star Wars Celebration, to be honest

Teaser drops at SWC (most likely April or May 2019)

Vanity Fair and ensuing gates in May

Leaked pics of ornaments, legos, and promo art in July-August

Possible content at Disney's D23 in July

Force Friday in September and timeline speculation explodes

Trailer in October, gates, and everyone loses their sh*t

Press tours, interviews, etc in December

Final trailer in December and sh*t hits the fan

We all cry cuz it's over

Last edited by Xylo Ren on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 3:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 4:36 pm

@DeeBee wrote:
@SkyStar wrote:@snufkin I have to be honest I was pretty shocked when she did that. They are talking about Han's mission and they are close and then she just punches him in the face which felt a bit too overboard. That was something.
@SkyStar

LOL. I've only seen the one page of the comic SkyStar shared- but I think Leia punches Han to create the cover story of them having a fight - so he has 'a good reason to go' - in order to cover the mission he is leaving on.. but. maybe I've completely misunderstood!>I gotta read that comic, looks like fun!
@DeeBee

Tough approach, but yeah you are right about that! Makes more sense but poor Han still. The comic was fun though. Very Happy
SkyStar
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Men on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 9:44 pm

For Reylos, I think it will be very interesting to see:

1) if KMT is re-signed and Rose brought back. That would be a death blow to FinnRey. Because contrary to what some people have written, they're not wasting time and narrative fuel on a suspense-free love triangle.
2) The first young female character signed, and if it's a hot Knight of Ren.

Kylo Men
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Mon 29 Jan 2018, 11:10 pm

@Kylo Men wrote:For Reylos, I think it will be very interesting to see:

1) if KMT is re-signed and Rose brought back. That would be a death blow to FinnRey. Because contrary to what some people have written, they're not wasting time and narrative fuel on a suspense-free love triangle.
@Kylo Men

In general, I think any KoR casting will be a big deal. JJ has an interest in the group, so if he uses them, they will be cast well. Men or women, the people in the roles will have to be pretty damn excellent because they would be interacting a lot with Adam Driver and probably to a lesser extent, Domhnall Gleeson. Those actors can't be mediocre. The contrast would show too much between Driver and them. Also, JJ casts beautifully.

I mean think of it this way. You start getting some hungry, seriously talented 20-to-early 30-something actors in those roles, and the FO side because even more interesting, while the Resistance looks even more boring.

I mean I'd love it, because Reylo and some of the KoR could become the new center of things and Hux and other KoR their opponents. You would have serious players all around and people like Finn and Rose would need to hook up with Reylo, but I can't see them giving up on that near-dead horse known as the Resistance, so there would be risk of serious imbalance there, unless they started getting more Cassians and less Kumbaya for the Resistance.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel on Tue 30 Jan 2018, 12:17 am

@SoloSideCousin wrote:
@Kylo Men wrote:For Reylos, I think it will be very interesting to see:

@Kylo Men

In general, I think any KoR casting will be a big deal. JJ has an interest in the group, so if he uses them, they will be cast well. Men or women, the people in the roles will have to be pretty damn excellent because they would be interacting a lot with Adam Driver and probably to a lesser extent, Domhnall Gleeson. Those actors can't be mediocre. The contrast would show too much between Driver and them. Also, JJ casts beautifully.

I mean think of it this way. You start getting some hungry, seriously talented 20-to-early 30-something actors in those roles, and the FO side because even more interesting, while the Resistance looks even more boring.

I mean I'd love it, because Reylo and some of the KoR could become the new center of things and Hux and other KoR their opponents. You would have serious players all around and people like Finn and Rose would need to hook up with Reylo, but I can't see them giving up on that near-dead horse known as the Resistance, so there would be risk of serious imbalance there, unless they started getting more Cassians and less Kumbaya for the Resistance.
@SoloSideCousin

Totally, especially the bolded. If the KOR are even moderately developed characters and well cast, it’s game over on which side of this conflict will be more compelling (and with cooler outfits).

I’ll be very interested to see what casting news we get as more info comes out.

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum