Predictions for Episode 9

Page 34 of 37 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next

Go down

Re: Predictions for Episode 9

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey on Sun 19 Aug 2018, 12:35 pm

@Apriljandy wrote:I have this strange feeling that Keri will indeed play as Rey's mother and at the same time a FO assassin working for Hux. I have this head cannon that Rey and Keri's character fight and Rey accidentally reads her mind and sees the memory of her being left behind and the fact that Keri's character was not at all regretful of what she had done. This could finally push Rey to move on. To make it more dramatic, Rey ends up killing Keri's character to save someone she loves (prolly Ben).
@Apriljandy

You may not be off the mark, especially if the mystery boxes are odes to J.J.'s past works (not exact parallels, yet elements of familiarity). After all, in Alias, Sydney's mother was Irina Derevko (played by Lena Olin) - per wikipedia "was a former Russian spy and also the mother of Sydney. During the 1970s, she was sent to United States with the objective to seduce and marry Jack Bristow in order to steal information from him about a project he was working on. She also assassinated several CIA officers, including Vaughn's father." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alias_(TV_series)#Cast

The show ends with them fighting, and I think it was on top of a glass roof, that began cracking...???. I remember Sydney reaching out to her - pleading with her to take her hand, but Irina wanted an item of power, and then Irina fell to her death because the glass roof shattered.
SW_Heroine_Journey
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Sun 19 Aug 2018, 1:14 pm

No disrespect to anyone who theorizes about Keri being Rey's mom, but I truly hope she isn't. No

Maybe because I'm so done with everybody being her mom or obsession about her parentage.
Imo Rey's parents are dead and buried in a paupers grave just like Kylo told her in IX.
Maybe we will find out more details about what happened to them in IX (or preferable in extra material like books and comics) but her mom playing a bigger role in IX? Please no!

If anything I want the relationship between Ben & Leia further explored...even if there are limitations now for obvious reasons.
I don't want any screen time wasted on "Rey's parents" - she grew-up barely remembering them...let Rey shine on her own.
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey on Sun 19 Aug 2018, 1:25 pm

@Night Huntress wrote:No disrespect to anyone who theorizes about Keri being Rey's mom, but I truly hope she isn't. No

Maybe because I'm so done with everybody being her mom or obsession about her parentage.
Imo Rey's parents are dead and buried in a paupers grave just like Kylo told her in IX.
Maybe we will find out more details about what happened to them in IX (or preferable in extra material like books and comics) but her mom playing a bigger role in IX? Please no!

If anything I want the relationship between Ben & Leia further explored...even if there are limitations now for obvious reasons.
I don't want any screen time wasted on "Rey's parents" - she grew-up barely remembering them...let Rey shine on her own.
@Night Huntress

I'm neutral about it. Smile

About the new characters - I am curious. In the OT and PT (it's been ages since I've seen them - I know, I'm bad - and as a new SW fan, due to the ST, I will watch them again, but I think I'm waiting until the ST is done. lol)

Anyway, is there precedence, with the OT and PT with new characters being introduced in the final act/final movie...and if so, what is their capacity? Maybe that is a pattern we can look towards? If completely new...then this shall be interesting! Smile
SW_Heroine_Journey
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Sun 19 Aug 2018, 5:13 pm

I'm aware that it's petty but in my perfect world, we'll literally never see one skin cell on either of Rey's parents. I'm so sick of how even in their nonexistence they still manage to keep the whole fandom in a relentless chokehold.
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sun 19 Aug 2018, 7:10 pm

@ZioRen Same. Just like how JJ joked about showing Jar Jar's bones on the floor of the Jakku desert as Rey zoomed along on her speeder, you have to hope that she also zoomed over the pauper's grave her no good parents are buried in and that's the end of it. Plus if JJ even gets one of his crazy ideas a la "Kylo's urn with the ashes of his enemies," I have faith that Keri Russell and Daisy Ridley will team up to smack some sense into him because they're both sensible people (and Daisy by now has obviously had it with people's parentage theory bullshit). The only big secret or shocker that should cause dramatic tension for Rey is IX is her relationship with Ben and role in him becoming Supreme Leader of the First Order.

snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey on Sun 19 Aug 2018, 7:39 pm

@snufkin wrote:@ZioRen Same. Just like how JJ joked about showing Jar Jar's bones on the floor of the Jakku desert as Rey zoomed along on her speeder, you have to hope that she also zoomed over the pauper's grave her no good parents are buried in and that's the end of it. Plus if JJ even gets one of his crazy ideas a la "Kylo's urn with the ashes of his enemies," I have faith that Keri Russell and Daisy Ridley will team up to smack some sense into him because they're both sensible people (and Daisy by now has obviously had it with people's parentage theory bullshit). The only big secret or shocker that should cause dramatic tension for Rey is IX is her relationship with Ben and role in him becoming Supreme Leader of the First Order.

@snufkin

Not certain if actors have an influence upon story, yet if they do - I can see that happening, especially if he notices Daisy is just done with the parental drama.

Before TLJ caused me to fall in love with SW, I was completely clueless about this discourse. Of course, I cannot speak for all GA, yet if it's a consolation prize for the drama (I curtsy to all who have been involved with Rey's parental drama since TFA) - woosh over my head, until I dove into the Reylo/Bendemption pool.
SW_Heroine_Journey
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sun 19 Aug 2018, 8:08 pm

@SW_Heroine_Journey wrote:
@snufkin wrote:@ZioRen Same. Just like how JJ joked about showing Jar Jar's bones on the floor of the Jakku desert as Rey zoomed along on her speeder, you have to hope that she also zoomed over the pauper's grave her no good parents are buried in and that's the end of it. Plus if JJ even gets one of his crazy ideas a la "Kylo's urn with the ashes of his enemies," I have faith that Keri Russell and Daisy Ridley will team up to smack some sense into him because they're both sensible people (and Daisy by now has obviously had it with people's parentage theory bullshit). The only big secret or shocker that should cause dramatic tension for Rey is IX is her relationship with Ben and role in him becoming Supreme Leader of the First Order.

@snufkin

Not certain if actors have an influence upon story, yet if they do - I can see that happening, especially if he notices Daisy is just done with the parental drama.

Before TLJ caused me to fall in love with SW, I was completely clueless about this discourse. Of course, I cannot speak for all GA, yet if it's a consolation prize for the drama (I curtsy to all who have been involved with Rey's parental drama since TFA) - woosh over my head, until I dove into the Reylo/Bendemption pool.
@SW_Heroine_Journey

It's pretty obvious from various interviews, WGA events, and the entire script for Solo the amount of influence Lawrence Kasdan still holds as the OT screenwriter and a current story group member that the only parentage theme they're exploring is Ben coming to term with having Han as a father. Also JJ blurted out the answer at the Tribeca Film Festival event with Chris Rock back in 2016 when a small child asked him point blank. You'd hope that at this point any questions about Rey's parents have been laid to rest in that pauper's grave.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey on Sun 19 Aug 2018, 8:39 pm

@snufkin wrote:

@snufkin

@SW_Heroine_Journey

It's pretty obvious from various interviews, WGA events, and the entire script for Solo the amount of influence Lawrence Kasdan still holds as the OT screenwriter and a current story group member that the only parentage theme they're exploring is Ben coming to term with having Han as a father. Also JJ blurted out the answer at the Tribeca Film Festival event with Chris Rock back in 2016 when a small child asked him point blank. You'd hope that at this point any questions about Rey's parents have been laid to rest in that pauper's grave.
@snufkin

Indeed! Very Happy I agree! To me, the release of Solo was LF & Disney's way of saying - THIS is the parental focus - that is all. Smile It is not a coincidence that Solo was released between Episodes 8 and 9. (If anything, the insistence on releasing it, especially after the reshoots and cost of production doubling because of that emphasizes the parental importance is about Ben and Han Solo). Very Happy
SW_Heroine_Journey
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SW_Heroine_Journey on Sun 19 Aug 2018, 8:42 pm

@snufkin wrote:

@snufkin

@SW_Heroine_Journey

@snufkin

As an aside, JJ blurting out that Rey's parents are not important to the overall story at the 2016 Tribeca Film Festival event illustrates that JJ is not the savior antis are hoping for. lol He and Lawrence started Reylo and Bendemption - causes me to wrinkle my forehead that they insist about this. haha
SW_Heroine_Journey
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sat 25 Aug 2018, 6:35 pm

I was house cleaning with ESB on in the background and it occurred to me that we might get an opening scene like this in IX about the First Order hunting for the Resistance and specifically Rey, with both probes and bounty hunters

One of the twists of ESB is that Vader’s hunt for Luke is 100% personal interests, which we know is same for Ben and Rey. Especially because her closing the connection and slamming the door is like Han turning off the communicator because he’s angry with Leia after their confrontation and decides to leave. Rey will get dragged back in the same way Han did. I’d also love it if Rey calls him Supreme Leader the same way Han says Your Worship

Also the “DJ Returns and it’s a surprise moment,” I could see that as a bounty hunter given BdT’s role in Sicario. Because there could be a hunt for Rey where Ben knows he effed up, wants to get to her before the FO does, and as with Snoke, knows he can’t have an upper hand against Hux without her as backup. Also the twist in this situation is that Rey’s the outright target but we know that Hux will be gunning for Kylo when the opportunity presents itself
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee on Sat 25 Aug 2018, 10:06 pm

I hope it's okay if I quote this exchange on TLJ general discussion thread.. I'd really like to hear what everyone is predicting about this discussion!
@Kylo Rey wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@Kylo Rey wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@snufkin wrote:@Starliteprism I just noticed something else while rewatching ESB about cutting off communications. Han does it to Leia after their opening scene fight about their relationship and whether he’ll stay with her or leave

C-3PO: Excuse me sir. Might I have a word with you, please?
Han: What do you want?
C-3PO: Well, it's Princess Leia, sir, she's been trying to get you on the communicator.
Han: I turned it off, I don't wanna listen to her!

I think there’s an element of that when Rey severs the connection and slams the door on Ben’s face.
@snufkin

Good catch!

I really wonder in IX if Kylo is going to play things off as being "too cool" now and not try to contact Rey in the face of his humiliation...  or if he'll be trying to contact her, and she'll be ignoring him.
@ISeeAnIsland

I think he'll leave her alone, personally. He opened his heart to her, making his first human connection in forever and fell in love with her. That was a huge deal for him. The rejection stung big time and set off his big meltdown on Crait. He was in full spurned lover mode. But then the final scene he seems to be searching Rey's face for compassion/a change in heart and has a look of resignation when she slams the door. He accepts that it's over (from his POV). He's obviously heartbroken about it but he doesn't believe he has a chance any more with her so I don't think he'll try to go after her. It's a different dynamic than the end of TFA now. They got to form an intimate connection with each other and Rey seemed to reciprocate his affections (unlike TFA) so he grew hopeful. I think he'll be wary of her and maybe a bit hostile while Rey will be the one who's more quiet, softer etc. when they meet again.
@Kylo Rey

Projecting my own experience, in my single days, when I'd get dumped, I'd also do everything that I could to avoid the person who dumped me. Granted, I might internet-stalk them to see what they're up to, if they're dating anyone, etc, but I was more of a tail-between-my-legs dumpee, who didn't try to contact the person (even if I got the dreaded "let's still be friends" line).

I kinda see Ben being the same way--especially, as you put it, with that look of resignation that he had on his face when she slammed the door.

Although I guess the Force itself is still a bit of a wildcard, even if neither of them is trying to contact the other--the Force might have other plans about that.
@ISeeAnIsland

Agreed. The Force kind of acts like a neutral arbiter and matchmaker with these two. So even if they don't reach out to each other again (because they're both too hurt), the Force will probably have different ideas. Either that or some event in the plot will force Rey's hand. Either of those scenarios is most likely, IMO. But I don't think Kylo will try to connect with her again. There's also the popular headcanon that Kylo will send the KoR after her because he vowed to destroy her and the Resistance, but again, that's ignoring their final scene together. I suppose he could become obsessed with finding her and use the KoR as an excuse, but I don't like the idea of obsessed Renperor. It's a common theme in fanfics but I'd rather JJ not go down that route. The other option gives Kylo more agency as a character (especially when he should have that now as his own man and the final chapter should bring about more maturity), and is a better set up for romance, IMO. It's also more angsty. If I were JJ I would use the chance to play up the angst to maximum levels.
@Kylo Rey

Love this discussion!
Indeed - the force is the wild card here. And I see it the same way Kylo Rey does- it has been acting as a mediator between Rey and Kylo/Ben...

I pretty much agree with all the ideas shared above- even though there are different views here of where it could be headed: because I think any of these ideas are possible at this point, and not only possible - but could be equally fantastic depending on how they are done.
Which is what can make the wait for IX so fabulously torturous!

They could have Kylo/Ben pursuing Rey and trying to re-establish contact..
or they could have him shutting her out..
or they could have Rey trying to reconnect..
or they could have neither trying to reconnect..
or both reconnecting and having no luck.
lol.
The one thing I do lean toward here is that between VIII and IX, they will not connect - I think it is dramatically just too important- I think the next time they successfully connect will be seen in IX.
This will be a huge moment.. Does anyone think this moment could be not shown  or have different ideas about this?

I am not sure if their next meeting will be via the force bond, or in person - I think it could be either: force bond then real meeting or real meeting then continued force bond..
What do we all think about the various options? Any pros and cons to each of these scenarios?

An unexpected force bond connection or an unexpected real life interaction could be very dramatic as their first connection since the end of TLJ - if both are taken by surprise by it.. wow.. it would be very powerful!!! Can you imagine if they think it is the force bond, and instead they are really in the same place at the same time the next time they meet?!!! I think I'll be laying in the aisle having fainted from how delicious this scenario would be. (make note to self: take smelling salts to first viewing of IX!).
An unexpected meeting could mean they are unguarded in that initial moment - and tell us much about where our two love birds are really at in their hearts, similar to the surprise connection at the end of TLJ.
What does everyone think?

Oh and what do you all think FG Luke will make of this connection? will he be encouraging it? neutral? or anti (to push them closer together haaaa)?

Last edited by DeeBee on Sat 25 Aug 2018, 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by 4forYouRey-lolo on Tue 28 Aug 2018, 6:11 am

@DeeBee

All of these options I think could happen! I think myself in circles trying to even guess what might happen, but every option could be done I think.

"They could have Kylo/Ben pursuing Rey and trying to re-establish contact.": In this option I see Kylo persuing Rey physically, as in he's been shut off from their connection or at least blocked by an adamant Rey (Although of course it pains her, she is trying to be committed to the rebel cause) and he has to make do by chasing after her with his army and making her most wanted in the galaxy. So next contact might have to be in person. I think that they'll both convince themselves that next time they see eahcother it's a grudge match fight to the death, but then of course when it comes down to it, neither one has the conviction. Realising this, they part ways, and the force skype sessions continue from there.

"or they could have him shutting her out": To me, least probable, but if someone (Leia, Finn, Poe, Rose? Force ghost luke?) learns of a force connection (I really hope everyone at rebel base realises something is up with Rey, she's acting differently or distant or something) then they might convince her to reach out to Kylo. In more of a tactical way than she's probably comfortable with. They think it could be a useful tool for drawing him out. If Rey were to go along with it, willing or not, I feel Kylo would see through it though and shut her out. Or maybe just shut her out due to his own hurt. Don't know where this would go from here though.

"or they could have Rey trying to reconnect.": kind of like above, except it would be from Rey's own feelings. I think if an honest attempt to reach out was made by either of them, it would at least lead to tentative communications again.

"or they could have neither trying to reconnect": Could be, but my least favourite option. We all saw how captivated they were by their own connection! They both realise it's a pretty profound thing they share. And I think from a story telling view, why introduce the most interesting and most well received plot point from the whole film and not use it more. Everyone wants to know whats going to happen with the force bond now.

As for the force bond only re-connecting again on screen, I wouldn't be opposed to it, as you said, it's very important, but I also think it would be really interesting if maybe they'd stayed connected this whole time. Lots of people think their might be time jump of years even, and at first the movies first act leads us to believe Kylo and Rey are now firmly on opposite sides (Technically true) and after each others blood, but then reveals that the force bond was just too strong and they can't help but have been in contact this whole time. One thing I was struck by in TLJ was how calmly they spoke to each other. After TFA, I didn't see them sharing such calm scenes. Kylo's voice was so gentle! Rey was so open with him! I think it could work to show them kind of...just having gotten use to having each other as someone to speak to between battles, and years of turmoil, where they've settled into a strange dependance on one anothers support, despite being on opposite sides of a war.
I think it could show Kylo maybe deteriating in his new position of emperor, confessing that it isn't what he envisioned without her, and with the connection still maintained, Rey might be in more of a position to bring him round, or who knows, because now I'm getting into specific daydream territory haha.

Basically whatever happens, when I sit down in that cinema seat in 2019, I'll be waiting for the second Rey and Ben connect again! By force or in person.
4forYouRey-lolo
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Apriljandy on Tue 28 Aug 2018, 9:18 pm

If there would be a time jump, I think that Rey and Ben will continue to see eachother thru the force bond. Literally like, only "see" eachother. They won't attempt communication or touching. Just deep, longing stares and at one point they would be satisfied with just that rather than nothing at all.

I hope the movie begins with Rey and Ben meeting in person, Ben telling Rey he has found a way to cut their connection and proposes that they do it. Only because Ben thinks that's what she wants. Rey sort of gets angry and panics as the feeling of abandonment resurfaces and that's when Ben realizes Rey actually treasures this connection with him.

Apriljandy
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Teo oswald on Thu 30 Aug 2018, 5:39 am

it is also possible that Kylo exploits the force bond with Rey for purposes useful to his cause
Then you have to see if Rey will use the link too, if she tells the resistance about Kylo Ren

She did not say anything to Luke, but Luke himself saw them together in the hut
I wonder if Rey will reveal her relationship with Kylo among her friends. We know she wants to save him, but first she have "destroy" kylo Ren to save Ben Solo

the key is in the sentence spoken by Rey
"If I go to him, Ben Solo will come back" (or something like that)

or an idea a little crazy but acceptable, resistance thinks that Rey is a spy of the first order because they saw her in a situation similar with Luke on the island .... but I don't like it at all Sad

Teo oswald
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee on Fri 31 Aug 2018, 5:56 am

@4forYouRey-lolo - I like your comment! Really interesting to hear your thoughts on all the options- the pros and cons..
I enjoy exploring options, even if they are extreme.. I'm reminded of how RJ said he concluded Rey's parents would be nobody- he had created a looong list of who could be Rey's parents, every possible option!
RJ wrote: I honestly listed everything I could think of, even awful possibilities where I said, 'This is not what we're going to do.' I mean the less silly one was, 'Is she a clone?' Anything that's a theory on Reddit now I guarantee was listed on that document.
source: https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2302922/how-rian-johnson-decided-on-reys-parents-in-star-wars-the-last-jedi
this sounds like lots of fun to me! haaaa..

Aside from what is already listed, is there other options we can come up with for the force bond?
What if they are both connected and sharing their dreams only?
What if they are both sharing force visions, but are not connecting via the force bond?
(like what may have happened in TFA with Rey's vision that Kylo/Ben seemed to notice her in- surreal!)

@Apriljandy wrote:If there would be a time jump, I think that Rey and Ben will continue to see eachother thru the force bond. Literally like, only "see" eachother. They won't attempt communication or touching. Just deep, longing stares and at one point they would be satisfied with just that rather than nothing at all.

I hope the movie begins with Rey and Ben meeting in person, Ben telling Rey he has found a way to cut their connection and proposes that they do it. Only because Ben thinks that's what she wants. Rey sort of gets angry and panics as the feeling of abandonment resurfaces and that's when Ben realizes Rey actually treasures this connection with him.
@Apriljandy

That's an interesting idea! So not only can the connection vary, but whether they actually acknowledge it - bring on the pining huh! I can see why they would avoid touching, as there may be another one of those galaxy shattering visions again. then again, maybe one or both will crave that - to see if the conclusion they originally came to (that they would join on the same side), has changed. Like- is the force telling them the same thing now? or has it changed? Hmm..

@Teo oswald wrote:it is also possible that Kylo exploits the force bond  with Rey for purposes useful to his cause
Then you have to see if Rey will use the link too, if she tells the resistance about Kylo Ren

She did not say anything to Luke, but Luke himself saw them together in the hut
I wonder if Rey will reveal her relationship with Kylo among her friends. We know she wants to save him, but first she have  "destroy" kylo Ren  to save Ben Solo

the key is in the sentence spoken by Rey
"If I go to him, Ben Solo will come back" (or something like that)

or an idea a little crazy but acceptable,  resistance thinks that Rey is a spy of the first order because they saw her in a situation similar  with Luke on the island .... but I don't like it at all Sad

@Teo oswald

Interesting idea Teo oswald. I haven't really explored this idea - I guess because story structure wise I'm thinking their most separated moment is the end of TLJ. It's the big break up.
However, I could be way off and they could play it as totally full of angst and bittersweetness in IX to finally bring them together in the end.
My guess though is that this won't be the direction they head in - in the novelisation we got a good sense of where Rey is at with her view of Kylo/Ben - and that she still has faith and is trusting in the force. I am guessing if she were asked to spy on him (which is quite possible) she won't participate, or she'll tell Kylo/Ben to not tell her anything because she has to report back - know what I mean? it may be eventually he gives her information to feed back to the rebels/resistance on purpose. because he is trying to undermine the First order from within.. [which I recently learned is what Rax did in Aftermath to the empire as the contingency plan.. I so I wonder if they will revisit this in a different way]
I hope IX will see Kylo/Ben and Rey as paradoxically loyal to each other - while on opposite sites of a war, and that it all grows from there.
Hope that makes some sense. lol.

Taking a leaf out of RJ's book of going for it and exploring weird ideas... I had a few random ideas this week.. thought I'd share them here..  ROFL and if anyone is interested - I'd love to hear your thoughts (or if you have any weird ideas too haaa)
In the Aftermath series, we learned there was a tactic used to keep Palpatine alive even after he died - fake Palpatine was wandering around and the empire tried to keep up the pretense that Palpatine was alive and the rebels were lying..
I was thinking - I wonder if the First Order will try a similar tactic?
The thing with Snoke was - he was very isolated, chose to see very few people ever in person - he did everything by hologram.. I wonder if this is something Hux could use against Kylo/Ben. I can't see Kylo/Ben doing this - because he hated Snoke so much, but I could be mistaken.
If 'Snoke lives in IX' is all a ruse - this means Rey doesn't get a public bounty on her head for killing Snoke, but it doesn't stop Hux from privately putting a bounty on her head anyway, and Kylo/Ben is going to know the truth...
What do people think of this?

One other random thought: I wonder if the destruction of Alderaan will be revisited in some way in IX. Especially because it is Kylo/Ben's legacy and he is heir to the throne kind of thing haaaa..
I wonder if it would be possible for two extremely powerful force users with all their raw power (ahem) to combine and somehow recreate a planet for Alderaanian people to call home. Wider Star Wars media is scattered with heart broken Alderaanians longing for their home.
With all the destruction- it would be cool to see the force used in a way that creates. wow..

Okay one last thought I promise!
ages ago we had the Poe Dameron comic introducing us to the Kazerath Device

crafted with both the dark and the light - designed to be operated by both - what is it's purpose?
I've been thinking if the Kazerath Device is something (quite possible it's nothing lol), that it is a device wielded by both sides of the force to bring about balance.. like the device is there, together they use it.
I had an idea: What if the creation of a Kaerath Device itself is how balance is brought to the force?
Maybe it is not a tool bringing about a result, maybe- it is the result?
Rey and Kylo/Ben combining together both sides of the force, to create a device like this one, and in doing so - restoring balance.
I think balance is such a vague concept, it would be helpful to see it represented in some concrete way..
thoughts anyone?
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism on Fri 31 Aug 2018, 4:40 pm

With how the cast is growing at an exponential rate, I have a feeling that "A World between Worlds" from Rebels is going to come into...full FORCE, with Rey and Ben traveling together down that road. This might be the only place where they can work/exist side by side. Also, I bet this will be forceback and forward heavy, so not all characters in the present tense, necessarily.

Also, need to find the source as only hearsay that Richard E Grant stated he wasn't playing Thrawn?

Okay..source is RadioTimes:

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/film/2018-08-20/richard-e-grant-is-not-playing-star-wars-villain-grand-admiral-thrawn/
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyGaufrette on Fri 31 Aug 2018, 5:52 pm

@Starliteprism wrote:With how the cast is growing at an exponential rate, I have a feeling that "A World between Worlds" from Rebels is going to come into...full FORCE, with Rey and Ben traveling together down that road. This might be the only place where they can work/exist side by side. Also, I bet this will be forceback and forward heavy, so not all characters in the present tense, necessarily.
@Starliteprism

How I would like if they used the World between Worlds to save Han when he fell into Starkiller's core. If he is in fact alive we wouldn't have to hear people scream "But he killed Han Solo!".

Joking aside, it could be a good way for Rey and Ben to watch scenes from the past and use this new knowledge. For the audience, it would be enjoyable to see scenes from the previous movies in the final movie of the saga. (Like in Avatar the last airbender where there was an entire episode dedicated to a summary of the whole serie before the final episode.)
LadyGaufrette
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism on Fri 31 Aug 2018, 6:32 pm

@LadyGaufrette wrote:
@Starliteprism wrote:With how the cast is growing at an exponential rate, I have a feeling that "A World between Worlds" from Rebels is going to come into...full FORCE, with Rey and Ben traveling together down that road. This might be the only place where they can work/exist side by side. Also, I bet this will be forceback and forward heavy, so not all characters in the present tense, necessarily.
@Starliteprism

How I would like if they used the World between Worlds to save Han when he fell into Starkiller's core. If he is in fact alive we wouldn't have to hear people scream "But he killed Han Solo!".

Joking aside, it could be a good way for Rey and Ben to watch scenes from the past and use this new knowledge. For the audience, it would be enjoyable to see scenes from the previous movies in the final movie of the saga. (Like in Avatar the last airbender where there was an entire episode dedicated to a summary of the whole serie before the final episode.)
@LadyGaufrette

Loved Avatar.

And story uses Han Solo's death as a plot device, so although would half-love to save him, think it adds more to the tragedy of the story and Kylo Ren/Ben's journey to, hopefully, redemption., yadda yadda.

And maybe when Rey and Kylo were force chatting and we didn't see from their perspective and shared future, maybe they were already teleported to the World Between Worlds and that will be something that is visually going to be acknowledge in the last installment.
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Men on Mon 03 Sep 2018, 4:01 pm

I'm making it a long film with an intermission structured in. The first half is like Lawrence of Arabia trhough Aqaba. The second is, at least in plot, like Peckinpah's Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid.

I'll go with ... Time jump. Kylo is Supreme Leader. He's been a revolutionary force that's good for the galaxy and popular. But he doesn't have the political capital/ability to end slavery (i.e. finish what Vader started) without an internal FO revolt.

Rey has started training new Jedi, and finds it a struggle. She and Kylo are a secret couple, but from a distance, He's helping her clandestinely, even as the KOR track down force sensitives. Kylo asks her to use hr Jedi in a slave revolt on a remote planet, thinking he can play peacemaker and "negotiate" emancipation afterward. Rey and her Jedi travel to support the revolt. It's a struggle, but Rey finds herself as a leader, and then becomes a Joan of Arc symbol as the revolt becomes a success. The revolt takes off in other parts of the galaxy. Kylo has miscalculated his popularity. He finds himself watching her do the one thing he really wanted.

Intermission.  

We don't actually see the revolution. But we start back up and Kylo has been deposed and is on the run. The provisional government on Rey to track him down. She accepts, reluctantly, caught in the middle. The second half of the film is her trying to find him, when she'll be faced with a choice of what to do when she finds him.

I'm not sure how it ends.

Kylo Men
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Lily Snape on Tue 04 Sep 2018, 1:49 am

@Kylo Men wrote:I'm making it a long film with an intermission structured in. The first half is like Lawrence of Arabia trhough Aqaba. The second is, at least in plot, like Peckinpah's Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid.

I'll go with ... Time jump. Kylo is Supreme Leader. He's been a revolutionary force that's good for the galaxy and popular. But he doesn't have the political capital/ability to end slavery (i.e. finish what Vader started) without an internal FO revolt.

Rey has started training new Jedi, and finds it a struggle. She and Kylo are a secret couple, but from a distance, He's helping her clandestinely, even as the KOR track down force sensitives. Kylo asks her to use hr Jedi in a slave revolt on a remote planet, thinking he can play peacemaker and "negotiate" emancipation afterward. Rey and her Jedi travel to support the revolt. It's a struggle, but Rey finds herself as a leader, and then becomes a Joan of Arc symbol as the revolt becomes a success. The revolt takes off in other parts of the galaxy. Kylo has miscalculated his popularity. He finds himself watching her do the one thing he really wanted.

Intermission.  

We don't actually see the revolution. But we start back up and Kylo has been deposed and is on the run. The provisional government on Rey to track him down. She accepts, reluctantly, caught in the middle. The second half of the film is her trying to find him, when she'll be faced with a choice of what to do when she finds him.

I'm not sure how it ends.
@Kylo Men

I like the idea of a relatively benevolent Benperor who winds up with some issue (slavery as the underpinning of the FO, as you said, seems likely) that he can’t control. I’ve said this before, but I see Rey and Ben talking again after some time jump, and him making it clear that he’s not happy in his role but he can’t let it go because he’s the one thing standing between a monster (Hux) and supreme power. I see this being a point of contention with Rey but one that she eventually understands— think Ron finally understanding that Harry really didn’t put his name in the cup for the Triwizard Tournament, I guess. Smile

I think the Ben/Rey relationship will develop over the course of the film and turn into a romance that viewers are rooting for by the time it finally happens. I believe they have to build that up onscreen and show that he’s changed, that Rey isn’t falling for someone who will throw rage fits and threaten to destroy her if he doesn’t get what he wants. And I think they have to show us that (presumably through the Force Bond) before getting these two together— Ben/Kylo facing situations in a different way, and treating her like a grown-up with some self-control. So I think they will be a couple by the end of the film, but that it will continue to be a slow burn through much of the film.
Lily Snape
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris24601 on Tue 04 Sep 2018, 11:01 am

@Lily Snape wrote:I like the idea of a relatively benevolent Benperor who winds up with some issue (slavery as the underpinning of the FO, as you said, seems likely) that he can’t control.
If you’re looking to subvert expectations to keep the story fresh (which both JJ and RJ understand is important for the long term health of the franchise) then a relatively benevolent Benperor is about the only tack you could take that isn’t a rehash of “evil Sith Lord rules the galaxy.”

Probably the most interesting approach I think would be to play Kylo in power is to run with Anakin’s appeal to Padme about bringing order to galaxy and have him essentially be the hard-nosed “law & order” type who cracks down on lawbreaking at every level. This would also play into his disdainful remarks about “murderers, traitors and thieves” and that his hatred for the New Republic was the amount of criminality and corruption its weak government allowed to plague the everyday citizens.

And while the First Order’s reliance on slavery might be the bad issue he can’t really end because it so underpins the First Order, given the setup in TLJ I wonder if instead the issue might not be the First Order’s utter reliance on the criminality and corruption of the powerful interests that supply the First Order’s war material.

Imagine being nominally in power with a goal of weeding out and ending corruption, but if you don’t let this or that slide for the head of the Tibanna Gas Cartel then there could be all manner of “unforeseen” delays in the Tibanna gas shipments the First Order needs to power its weaponry making it more difficult for them to keep the peace on dozens of worlds (where the criminal element just happens to have all the Tibanna gas it needs for its blasters).

To really throw things for a loop consider the faction most looking to acquire black market war material at the moment and, if the rumors are to be believed, are working hand in hand with criminals to get it; the Resistance.

What I think would be amazing would be if Hux and the corrupt power brokers were actually using the Resistance (i.e. the ostensible good guys) to remove Kylo Ren because he’s slowly trying to squeeze out their corruption. Imagine Hux playing the role of ‘double agent’ with the Resistance to remove Kylo... I mean, he’s the ‘joke villain’ right? Nowhere near the threat of a darksider like Kylo Ren. Only his end goal is to remove Kylo, step into leadership of the First Order while playing ball with the corrupt brokers and then wipe out the Resistance for their “assassination of the beloved Kylo Ren.”

Basically, you turn the Resistance into the side whose plans have to be stopped. Rey is the fly in the ointment Hux needs removed from the Resistance because of her ties to Kylo (Hux is not an idiot; Rey had escaped, Snoke was dead, but an unconscious Kylo wasn’t) and will probably be the first to learn of the plot because she’ll be targeted by it. Poe “burn the First Order down” Dameron is all-in on taking out Kylo. This leaves Finn as the one who’s story resolves his “why do we fight?” arc that began when he couldn’t pull the trigger on the villagers in TFA... is he fighting the First Order because it’s the First Order and can stand alongside corruption if that will end them -or- is he fighting the First Order because they’re corrupt and that corruption needs to be stopped regardless of where it resides?

Back in Episode I the Trade Federation (i.e. corrupt power brokers who controlled the Senate through bought off Senators) started a war and tried to remove a ruler from power in the name of increasing their profits. Now in Episode IX the corrupt power brokers are stoking another war to remove Queen Amidala’s grandson from power in the name of holding onto their power and influence and the resolution is to remove the corrupt brokers from their position of control (only on a galactic scale).

Like poetry, it rhymes.

Chris24601
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Tue 04 Sep 2018, 11:14 am

I don't think there are two bipolar options of Renperor or Benperor. I doubt he'll be evil and cruel, that's not really bringing the story and character forward. But nothing has indicated he'll be good at what he does, or that he even really wants to be a ruler. If he's effective, it justifies his bad decisions. I got the impression we'll get ineffective, depressed Kylo, and he has to drag himself out of the hole he's in.

I do think he'll clash with Hux on some things, but I don't know how much he can do about it or how much loyalty Kylo really has among the FO. And no way will LF/Disney want to portray a dictator or the FO in a positive light. I just think Kylo will realize his mistakes and hopefully leave of his own will, but I still think a contrast with SL Hux would make for a good contrast with Kylo's reign.
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyGaufrette on Tue 04 Sep 2018, 12:55 pm

Nothing has indicated he'll be a bad ruler. With the start of TFA, we know he is very effective when he is not distracted. For a moment, he can concentrate on rulling the galaxy while the Resistance nurses its wounds. Until now, LF had shown the good and bad sides of a Republic, I would like for them to show the good side of a single leader. Kylo could be like The Prince of Machiavelli and this is not considered as a dictator. And isn't it better if despite being a good ruler he still doesn't feel satisfied, having what he thought he wanted but in fact being wrong?

In the end we may have Benperor working with the Senate like the constitutional monarchy in UK, or Ben giving back his power to the Senate as a subversion of Palpatine's scene during ROTS. Or he could keep the power and share with Rey (Descendants of the Fel Empire, with force user Emperors, was likely from the same family that Jaina Solo).

I like @Chris24601 ideas even if I doubt LF will have the guts to go into so much grey areas.

In summary, I have seen enough Republics and evil Empires in SW (thanks to a western vision of people working on it) and would like to see a benevolent ruler and think Anakin was not totally wrong in AOTC. But I have not a lot of hope and think we're in for the New New Republic.
LadyGaufrette
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Tue 04 Sep 2018, 1:17 pm

@LadyGaufrette wrote:Nothing has indicated he'll be a bad ruler. With the start of TFA, we know he is very effective when he is not distracted. For a moment, he can concentrate on rulling the galaxy while the Resistance nurses its wounds. Until now, LF had shown the good and bad sides of a Republic, I would like for them to show the good side of a single leader. Kylo could be like The Prince of Machiavelli and this is not considered as a dictator. And isn't it better if despite being a good ruler he still doesn't feel satisfied, having what he thought he wanted but in fact being wrong?

In the end we may have Benperor working with the Senate like the constitutional monarchy in UK, or Ben giving back his power to the Senate as a subversion of Palpatine's scene during ROTS. Or he could keep the power and share with Rey (Descendants of the Fel Empire, with force user Emperors, was likely from the same family that Jaina Solo).

@LadyGaufrette

Thank you! Finally someone sharing my views! Claps Claps Claps

No idea if LF or JJ will go there...but I have enough of the depressed, sad & beaten "failure Kylo Ren". I want him to be a good ruler- trying to change the galaxy for the better. They don't need to portray the FO as the good guys...but they can show Kylo's good intentions.

By the end he can either decide to bring the FO down himself, because he finally understands a fascist military organization with a bunch of maniacs like Hux aren't the right people to achieve his goals- or he hands over his power voluntarily.

What I don't think they'll do is some complicated plot with too many twists- I would like that personally...but we shouldn't forget that these movies are also for kids. Nope
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 04 Sep 2018, 2:43 pm

What's the line in the Visual Dictionary that was leaked early, about how he learns from his mistakes on Crait in allowing his emotions to cloud his judgment. Best example in the Throne Room, when Snoke was praising him for finally being focused and disciplined right before he got sashimi'd. Even the children's books, his issue with the Resistance is 100% personal because it's described as his mother's group - he's literally going after them for taking his mom away from him (if Leia had been smarter, she would've gone out there to talk to Ben and parlayed her way into being the Queen Mother), it's not ideological for him at all. And we know it is for Hux, who was last spotted shooting daggers at his back. Being Supreme Leader his agenda will be 100% personal interests, especially because we know it was his Plan B after Rey dumped him because she wasn't down with compromising her values in exchange for being Galactic Prom Queen.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 37 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum