Predictions for Episode 9

Page 35 of 35 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 33, 34, 35

Go down

Re: Predictions for Episode 9

Post by LadyGaufrette on Tue 04 Sep 2018, 2:45 pm

@Night Huntress wrote:
@LadyGaufrette wrote:Nothing has indicated he'll be a bad ruler. With the start of TFA, we know he is very effective when he is not distracted. For a moment, he can concentrate on rulling the galaxy while the Resistance nurses its wounds. Until now, LF had shown the good and bad sides of a Republic, I would like for them to show the good side of a single leader. Kylo could be like The Prince of Machiavelli and this is not considered as a dictator. And isn't it better if despite being a good ruler he still doesn't feel satisfied, having what he thought he wanted but in fact being wrong?

In the end we may have Benperor working with the Senate like the constitutional monarchy in UK, or Ben giving back his power to the Senate as a subversion of Palpatine's scene during ROTS. Or he could keep the power and share with Rey (Descendants of the Fel Empire, with force user Emperors, was likely from the same family that Jaina Solo).

@LadyGaufrette

Thank you! Finally someone sharing my views! Claps Claps Claps

No idea if LF or JJ will go there...but I have enough of the depressed, sad & beaten "failure Kylo Ren". I want him to be a good ruler- trying to change the galaxy for the better. They don't need to portray the FO as the good guys...but they can show Kylo's good intentions.

By the end he can either decide to bring the FO down himself, because he finally understands a fascist military organization with a bunch of maniacs like Hux aren't the right people to achieve his goals- or he hands over his power voluntarily.

What I don't think they'll do is some complicated plot with too many twists- I would like that personally...but we shouldn't forget that these movies are also for kids. Nope
@Night Huntress

To be fair towards Kylo, I think he already know that. His situation is more of "Do it with whatever you found", like Finn and Rose with DJ. It's far from perfect but it's all they have. It can be a good plan. You seize power, you eliminate corruption, slavery and other toxic institutions, you make it so order is maintain and then you eliminate the bad part of your power (Bye bye Hux Waves, and maybe the old imperials who want revenge against the Republic).
Would that be complicated for children? I honestly don't know.

(I feel I had already seen this kind of story somewhere, but can't remember where scratch)

Edit
@snufkin
But what if he thinks creating peace is going to bring Rey back to him?


Last edited by LadyGaufrette on Tue 04 Sep 2018, 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
LadyGaufrette
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 228
Likes : 576
Date d'inscription : 2017-12-18
Localisation : Land of (obi-)wine and CH-33Z

Back to top Go down

Re: Predictions for Episode 9

Post by Night Huntress on Tue 04 Sep 2018, 3:12 pm

@LadyGaufrette

yeah, he knows - but like you said...he thinks he can use them as a "tool" to achieve his goals...maybe it works to a certain extent- maybe it backfires sooner or later? We'll see.

children are smarter than we give them credit. I was thinking about a very complicated plot like in a political thriller for example.

avatar
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1692
Likes : 8066
Date d'inscription : 2017-08-24
Age : 36
Localisation : Switzerland

Back to top Go down

Re: Predictions for Episode 9

Post by LadyGaufrette on Tue 04 Sep 2018, 3:49 pm

@Night Huntress wrote:@LadyGaufrette

yeah, he knows - but like you said...he thinks he can use them as a "tool" to achieve his goals...maybe it works to a certain extent- maybe it backfires sooner or later? We'll see.

children are smarter than we give them credit. I was thinking about a very complicated plot like in a political thriller for example.

@Night Huntress

Even smarter than some adults I know.

Concerning Kylo's leadership.
We know Hux has the stormtroopers' loyalty but he is despised by the old imperials. Can they support Kylo even if we know they represent something he hates? For all they know, Kylo became Supreme Leader by his merits contrary to Hux who had his position thanks to his father.
Kylo is also a lost boy, I think he can appeale to the younger generation in the First Order because as a Supreme Leader he will be the one to give them a home. (Those people grew up thinking their home was stolen by the New Republic)

For a political thriller, I think it may be difficult but because of the timing. We need action scenes and war battles. We need to spend time with the Resistance. We need to spend time with Rey and with the Force plot. Futhermore, seeing how much time JJ spent on politics in TFA, I don't think we will have a complicated political plot in IX (but I like surprise, so JJ go ahead!).
avatar
LadyGaufrette
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Messages : 228
Likes : 576
Date d'inscription : 2017-12-18
Localisation : Land of (obi-)wine and CH-33Z

Back to top Go down

Re: Predictions for Episode 9

Post by californiagirl on Thu 06 Sep 2018, 5:58 pm

Remember that "popular" film category the Academy was going to add to the Oscars? Well, that concept died pretty fast.

Even if that means the likes of SW and other higher-quality blockbusters continue to get sidelined in the fairly insular ceremony, at least they won't get the consolation prize. The whole thing was generally condescending and insulting. Like best picture means a film isn't considered popular, and popular movies aren't good enough to sit at the grown up table.

Really, the popular Oscar and the TLJ remake are among the few times I've seen the entire internet unite in anything, even if it was in unanimous rejection of something.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/academy-postponing-new-popular-oscar-category-1140423
avatar
californiagirl
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 993
Likes : 4379
Date d'inscription : 2017-11-12
Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Re: Predictions for Episode 9

Post by Kylo Rey on Tue 11 Sep 2018, 5:49 pm

The part in the novelisation where Kylo looks into Rey's eyes in the final force bond scene and sees no compassion there (from his POV) could potentially foreshadow the nature of his redemption in IX. Kylo believes that his chances with Rey are now over, so he won't be looking to win her back and therefore just redeem himself because of that. Any steps he takes towards redemption are therefore more selfless and altruistic (which is necessary for redemption). Then you can have romance be a natural and organic byproduct of that (if Rey sees that he has changed). This is the best route to take IMO, and reduces the more problematic aspects in which redemption intertwined with romance can have.

And since this trilogy loves to be meta (JJ started it, not Rian - as meta as TLJ is), it wouldn't be too far fetched to see Kylo internalise the GA opinion that Rey shut the door on them being together completely at the end of TLJ.


Last edited by Kylo Rey on Tue 11 Sep 2018, 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1297
Likes : 10438
Date d'inscription : 2016-12-24
Age : 22
Localisation : England

Back to top Go down

Re: Predictions for Episode 9

Post by snufkin on Tue 11 Sep 2018, 6:11 pm

I'm of the opinion that he ends TLJ thinking that he's utterly and completely lost her and will start IX having to face the consequences of assuming she was in cahoots with Luke and blaming her for Snoke's death.  

So these two articles are interesting because while I 100% think both publications have terrible and incorrect positions on how the ST will conclude (evul Kyle Ron who is a strawman for toxic fanboys and bad boyfriends is doomed), these are two details which I believe are strong themes written into the story from the start and why Han's death will be part of the conclusion of Ben's arc in the IX

Too Much of His Father in Him/Too Much of Your Father's Heart Young Solo

How Solo Makes Sense of Han’s Entire Character Arc

Whatever stories or films materialize between Solo and A New Hope, it is inevitable that Han and Qi’ra will meet again, and that Han will probably still want her to leave that life behind and come away with him. He will have to learn, eventually, that while she was the one who insisted that he leave Corellia without her, his doing so had eternal consequences. He cannot undo the time they have spent apart by being dashing and funny and finally available to her—he has lost someone he loved.

...
Losing someone again destroys Han—it ultimately kills him, when all is said and done. And we’ve learned from the current Star Wars novels that he spent the intervening years expanding his weird little galactic family. He trained and shepherded young pilots who needed a way out. He always had Lando’s back. He helped Chewie liberate Kashyyyk after the Empire fell. Dropping cargo isn’t something that Han Solo cares too much about in the long run, even if it gives him a boatload of trouble. But people who need him right now? Watch him drop everything, even if he rolls his eyes while he’s doing it. Even if he insists that none of it is worth it.

You don’t always get a second chance to help someone. Han Solo learned that very early on in life, and spent the rest of it being mindful of that fact. The greatest legacy that Solo leaves behind will always be that kernel of backstory; when the film wasn’t too busy trying to explain away Han’s circumstances, it explained the most important thing of all—his heart.

And then there's this tidbit from the May 2015 launch issue of Vanity Fair where they asked Kasdan about a potential return by Lando:

You wrote and directed The Big Chill, which certainly touches on that subject—time passing, youth in the rear-view mirror. Did you draw on that at all when you were working on episode VII?

I think everything that I’ve ever directed and written is about that in one way or another. And I’ll tell you something, I’ve got three grandchildren now and that theme just comes up every day. How am I affecting them? Is my experience of any use to them? Do they give a s***? I’ve just been reading a lot of Dennis Lehane. He’s obsessed with the same things that I am: fathers and sons and passing on wisdom; the inability to gain wisdom, which is really what interests me; and death, which defines all our life.

For all the complaining by some fans about Solo, it still stands that it's a film written by a father and son and the scenes between Han and Ben (renamed to have the same name as Harrison Ford's oldest son) were written by the same father and son.  As much as the franchise is shamefully overdue to have at least one character besides Lando's mom be able to survive and actually raise her child, let alone depicting mother and daughter relationships on screen, I take the evidence as I see it. The ST was written as a story about fathers and sons and I have a hard time believing that none of this is random and not infused with the relationships/hopes of the people who've involved their own families into this story.


Last edited by snufkin on Tue 11 Sep 2018, 7:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 7863
Likes : 35707
Date d'inscription : 2016-04-16
Localisation : it's in the chorus of Pavement's "Unfair"

Back to top Go down

Re: Predictions for Episode 9

Post by Saracene on Tue 11 Sep 2018, 6:45 pm

@Kylo Rey wrote:The part in the novelisation where Kylo looks into Rey's eyes in the final force bond scene and sees no compassion there (from his POV) could potentially foreshadow the nature of his redemption in IX. Kylo believes that his chances with Rey are now over, so he won't be looking to win her back and therefore just redeem himself because of that. Any steps he takes towards redemption are therefore more selfless and altruistic (which is necessary for redemption). Then you can have romance be a natural and organic byproduct of that (if Rey sees that he has changed). This is the best route to take IMO, and reduces the more problematic aspects in which redemption intertwined with romance can have.

And since this trilogy loves to be meta (JJ started it, not Rian - as meta as TLJ is), it wouldn't be too far fetched to see Kylo internalise the GA audience opinion that Rey shut the door on them being together completely at the end of TLJ.
@Kylo Rey

Yeah a decision that's 100% selfless is something that appears a lot in Beauty and the Beast-type stories. In Disney's Beauty and the Beast it's Beast letting Belle go, in Phantom of the Opera it's Phantom likewise letting Christine go. It's interesting to compare at what point in the story the selfless act happens; in BatB the love story is mutual and Beast's selfless act doesn't happen at the very very end, like Phantom's does.

IMO the easiest way to achieve this is to put Kylo in a situation where he has to choose between saving Rey's life or forfeiting his own. But unlike Vader it wouldn't happen in the last ten minutes or end with Kylo's death, and then maybe in turn put Rey in a position where she decides to go and save him. I think I've mentioned it before, but if you resolve the tension of "will Kylo stay bad" you'll need another kind of tension to take its place, like "will Kylo die".
avatar
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2073
Likes : 13233
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-27
Age : 38
Localisation : Melbourne

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Predictions for Episode 9

Post by californiagirl on Tue 11 Sep 2018, 7:51 pm

@Kylo Rey wrote:The part in the novelisation where Kylo looks into Rey's eyes in the final force bond scene and sees no compassion there (from his POV) could potentially foreshadow the nature of his redemption in IX. Kylo believes that his chances with Rey are now over, so he won't be looking to win her back and therefore just redeem himself because of that. Any steps he takes towards redemption are therefore more selfless and altruistic (which is necessary for redemption). Then you can have romance be a natural and organic byproduct of that (if Rey sees that he has changed). This is the best route to take IMO, and reduces the more problematic aspects in which redemption intertwined with romance can have.

And since this trilogy loves to be meta (JJ started it, not Rian - as meta as TLJ is), it wouldn't be too far fetched to see Kylo internalise the GA opinion that Rey shut the door on them being together completely at the end of TLJ.
@Kylo Rey

The trilogy exists to be meta. You have to grapple with the past before you can move on. It's unfortunate that even now, there isn't a general awareness or discussion that this began in TFA. Instead, the narrative is that TFA is just trying to emulate the past for the sake of worshiping it, while TLJ wants to destroy the past for the sake of destroying it. I suppose this isn't entirely false, but it's exaggerated. The two films are being treated like polar opposites. It would be unfortunate if the resolution of the ST is attributed to the influence of TLJ, or something invented for IX. Hopefully IX will achieve more, you know, balance between the two approaches. Smile

I second the notion of Kylo having no hope of being with Rey, from both film and novel. Otherwise Rey is like a prize to be won, some reward for his good behavior. Which is both selfish and possessive, and not at all where Kylo's arc should leave. Nor has Rey been treated in this way, she's on her own terms if she will be with him or not. Moreover, Kylo's attempted dominance over her (abduction, interrogation, "bring Skywalker to me" at the beginning of TLJ) or suggesting her fate (you need a teacher, ruling the galaxy, etc.) all backfire on him. That's clearly not the road to becoming a better person. The audience needs to actually want him to live happily ever after.

I suspect he turns not only before the last 10 minutes of the movie, but at the halfway or even one third mark. I think with the time skip, it would be plausible for Kylo at the beginning to already be planning something to either dismantle the FO's power structures from within or otherwise stop Hux from doing something horrific, but the audience only finds this out when Rey does. Hence she starts to become closer to him again. Hence lots of time for drama in which the Resistance and FO learn about the force bond and the leaders of their respective sides dating and also working together. Hence Reylo on the run, possibly having to save the galaxy largely by themselves, saving what we love, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kylo does not one but a series of self-sacrificial acts, another reason it would be good to have him reforming early on. Again, the audience needs good reason to want him to live and have a major role in not only Rey's life, but reshaping the galaxy.
avatar
californiagirl
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 993
Likes : 4379
Date d'inscription : 2017-11-12
Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Re: Predictions for Episode 9

Post by Saracene on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 4:33 pm

Regarding Finn, I wonder how Episode IX will handle his character and whether he'll get to participate in the Skywalker family drama or whether he'll be designated to the Resistance B-plot only.

I think that a big part of why Finn's character felt diminished in TLJ, other than him having to share the Resistance storyline with Poe and being saddled with a boring arc/subplot, is that he was no longer connected to the Skywalker drama which is the heart of the series. In TFA he shared scenes with Kylo and teamed up with Han, and was a part of the "map to Luke" storyline. In TLJ he was essentially cut off from the Skywalker drama, and never got to develop a meaningful dynamic with Leia (Poe on the other hand had a strong working relationship with her).
avatar
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 2073
Likes : 13233
Date d'inscription : 2016-03-27
Age : 38
Localisation : Melbourne

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Predictions for Episode 9

Post by californiagirl on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 5:09 pm

@Saracene wrote:Regarding Finn, I wonder how Episode IX will handle his character and whether he'll get to participate in the Skywalker family drama or whether he'll be designated to the Resistance B-plot only.

I think that a big part of why Finn's character felt diminished in TLJ, other than him having to share the Resistance storyline with Poe and being saddled with a boring arc/subplot, is that he was no longer connected to the Skywalker drama which is the heart of the series. In TFA he shared scenes with Kylo and teamed up with Han, and was a part of the "map to Luke" storyline. In TLJ he was essentially cut off from the Skywalker drama, and never got to develop a meaningful dynamic with Leia (Poe on the other hand had a strong working relationship with her).
@Saracene

I'm also a little uncertain, but with JJ back, since he had Finn pretty involved with the Rey-Luke-Kylo story, and all the threads brought the together by the end of TLJ, I'm hoping he can be more involved.

But even if he's mostly with the Resistance end of things, there are more interesting things to do than separate him into his own subplot (still hoping for FO rebellion from within). That doesn't seem to be the direction they are going in anyway, since the Resistance bunch are back together again and he appears to be with Poe. It wouldn't really make sense at this point either, as it's the second act (TLJ) that is supposed to be the uncomfortable one challenging the characters and yanking them out of their comfort zone. Act 3 (IX) should be more the culmination of his arc than separating him from everyone.
avatar
californiagirl
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Messages : 993
Likes : 4379
Date d'inscription : 2017-11-12
Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Re: Predictions for Episode 9

Post by Kylo Rey on Fri 21 Sep 2018, 7:41 pm

Someone leaked Adam Driver's kissing scene from The Man who killed Don Quixote and after watching that, I have to say, if LFL and JJ Abrams don't utilise Adam's kissing skills it'll be the biggest waste in the history of cinema. It can easily have the potential to be the hottest kissing scene in SW history, but if they go through with it, I'm not sure if they'd allow Adam to unleash his trademark intensity on Daisy or just tone it down for the kids, lol. It would be a criminal waste of their sexual tension if they never kiss. Adam EXCELS at it.
avatar
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Messages : 1297
Likes : 10438
Date d'inscription : 2016-12-24
Age : 22
Localisation : England

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 35 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 33, 34, 35

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum