ST & PT Throw Backs/ In Jokes - Fun Things You'd Like to See in IX!

Go down

ST & PT Throw Backs/ In Jokes - Fun Things You'd Like to See in IX!

Post by DeeBee on Sat 10 Feb 2018, 6:55 pm

Hello!
Star Wars is well known for it's throw backs and references to previous episodes - these can be fun running jokes, or they can also be significant/tragic/romantic in tone too.
I thought it could be fun to have a thread dedicated to SW throw backs and references.

At this point we have 21 months to go until episode IX, so having fun with SW running gags, or playing with potentially moving references to prior characters could be a fun way to revisit previous SW moments while exploring the potential of what is ahead in IX.  

So here is a thread for identifying throw backs that have already taken place - and that we'd like to see repeated in IX.
Also... Have you come up with any new throw backs you'd like to suggest for IX? Any scenarios? Ideas? Dream away and share!!
Or maybe you have a moment in episodes 1-8 that you would love to see repeated or given a shout out to in some way - and would like to share it for all of us to come up with ideas for how to reference it in IX? Go for it! it could be a fun challenge  geek

What do you think of SW throw backs? Any preferences for how they are done?
I love throw backs, but prefer that they not overuse one or two - I think there are so many fantastic lines/situations they can throw back to... and fans will love it! I also think repeating moments is fun, if it is recognizable but not an exact repeat - does that make sense? What do you all think? do tell!

Anyway, I'll get the ball rolling and share a few that have come to mind...
The first one I just shared in the predictions thread.. [in reply to a prediction by @nickandnora that Rey could wear the Kylo Ren outfit as a disguise in IX...]
1) If Rey is wearing the Kylo Ren outfit: Kylo/Ben or someone would have to ask - 'Aren't you a little short for a Kylo Ren?' haaaaaa.
I think this could also work if Rey disguised as a short storm trooper too.. "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"
Here it is:  Lolilol

2) How cool would it be if Rey infiltrates where Kylo/Ben is with Chewie pretending to be a prisoner again. I can hear it now:
"Where are you taking this.... thiiiiing?"  Lolilol

3) The idea of Rey wearing a mask, impersonating someone or being disguised to rescue Kylo/Ben could be a throw back to Leia attempting to rescue Han/freeing Han from his carbonite popsicle at the start of TLJ.
We could have masked Rey rescue Ben or rouse him from unconsciousness or something.
He says: Who are you?
[she takes off her mask]
She says: Someone who loves you.
[Or: Someone who cares about you/likes you *cough* - if you want to leave the 'love' as subtext because it's too early for the big reveal]
Kylo/Ben: Rey!!! [kissy kissy]

Once TLJ comes out on dvd I'll have to look to see what throw backs there were in IX. Anyone identify any?
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Re: ST & PT Throw Backs/ In Jokes - Fun Things You'd Like to See in IX!

Post by ZioRen on Sat 10 Feb 2018, 6:58 pm

After all the complaints about the amount of Death Star type weapons, I have a strong feeling that Hux is going to ask Supreme Leader Kylo for permission to build another one and Kylo is going to be like "Absolutely not."

I'm also about 90% sure that Kylo will at some point echo an OT Han Solo line. I'm just not sure which one yet. If Kylo ever shot a blaster for whatever reason he'd probably do a variation of Han's pose too!
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 on Sat 10 Feb 2018, 7:06 pm

@ZioRen wrote:After all the complaints about the amount of Death Star type weapons, I have a strong feeling that Hux is going to ask Supreme Leader Kylo for permission to build another one and Kylo is going to be like "Absolutely not."

I'm also about 90% sure that Kylo will at some point echo an OT Han Solo line. I'm just not sure which one yet. If Kylo ever shot a blaster for whatever reason he'd probably do a variation of Han's pose too!
@ZioRen

"I've got a badd feeling about this..."
rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by nickandnora on Sat 10 Feb 2018, 7:09 pm

@DeeBee wrote:
3) The idea of Rey wearing a mask, impersonating someone or being disguised to rescue Kylo/Ben could be a throw back to Leia attempting to rescue Han/freeing Han from his carbonite popsicle at the start of TLJ.
We could have masked Rey rescue Ben or rouse him from unconsciousness or something.
[she takes off her mask]
[Or: Someone who cares about you/likes you *cough* - if you want to leave the 'love' as subtext because it's too early for the big reveal]
Kylo/Ben: Rey!!! [kissy kissy]

@DeeBee
Yesssss!! Thank you, I totally had this in mind when I thought of Rey wearing the Kylo Ren outfit and coming to his rescue!

I think we're going to see a TON of callbacks to both Anakin/Amidala and Han/Leia in this final film, because I believe Rey/Ben are going to serve as a happy redo of BOTH couples. As for the way TLJ ended, I thought even the first time I saw it that Rey looking down and Kylo looking up was very evocative of Han/Leia's last scene together in Empire Strikes Back. I think a lot of you already picked up on that.

I think we'll get something that's "I love you/I know" but without actually saying the word love. I believe I suggested in another thread that maybe they'll just do something like one of them stares meaningfully at the other without saying anything and the other person says "I know." This would work especially because of the mind-twin thing that I suspect is going to happen to them fully in the final film.

nickandnora
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee on Sat 10 Feb 2018, 7:09 pm

@ZioRen wrote:After all the complaints about the amount of Death Star type weapons, I have a strong feeling that Hux is going to ask Supreme Leader Kylo for permission to build another one and Kylo is going to be like "Absolutely not."
@ZioRen
-this is a great way to deal with the fan complaints huh! So throw backs can be a fun way to break the fourth wall!
Maybe they can throw in a line about how Kylo and Rey are related- not! Razz

@ZioRen wrote: I'm also about 90% sure that Kylo will at some point echo an OT Han Solo line. I'm just not sure which one yet. If Kylo ever shot a blaster for whatever reason he'd probably do a variation of Han's pose too!
@ZioRen
There is a great challenge.. Anyone?
A Han pose would be fantastic!! We'll have to keep an eye out, I could imagine AD studying Han Solo's previous performances and trying to incorporate Han Solo mannerisms into Kylo/Ben!
Anyone got a pose or a mannerism in mind?

Two Han Solo quotes come to mind that could easily be applicable:
"I never ask myself that question until after I've done it"
& "That's not how the force works!"
What do you think about re-using the line "Either I'm going to kill her, or I'm beginning to like her"?
too much? too obvious?
maybe it could work if someone else said it about him.
i.e. FG Luke could tease - "looks to me like you are either going to kill her, or you are beginning to like her"?
After all, it was Han that said it to Luke in ANH...

DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by nickandnora on Sat 10 Feb 2018, 7:16 pm

@ZioRen

My greatest wish that goes along with one of my predictions (that a now "reformed" Ben Solo will escape by piloting the Millennium Falcon in IX) is that as Ben flies away he does a version of the classic: "Woohoo!" that Han does in A New Hope. Because it would be perfect, and because it would be Ben HAPPY aboard the "piece of junk!!!" Falcon no less! I'd cry all the tears.

nickandnora
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee on Sat 10 Feb 2018, 7:34 pm

@nickandnora wrote:

@ZioRen

My greatest wish that goes along with one of my predictions (that a now "reformed" Ben Solo will escape by piloting the Millennium Falcon in IX) is that as Ben flies away he does a version of the classic: "Woohoo!" that Han does in A New Hope. Because it would be perfect, and because it would be Ben HAPPY aboard the "piece of junk!!!" Falcon no less! I'd cry all the tears.

@nickandnora

Awesome!!!! yeah!!!! good one nickandnora! I loved that moment. " Yeeeeeeeee Hoooooooooo!!!!"

We did get Broomboi giving us a whoooo hooooo and an arm pump if I remember correctly - as he released the farthiers - I don't know why but I really loved that little moment and it totally worked for me. but haven't seen it mentioned...

We could have FG Luke tell Ben something like 'your all clear kid, now explode this thing and go home!' - (I like the reference to 'home' for Ben )
I think all of us who love the Kylo/Ben character are hoping to see him experience any moment of sheer joy like this one here- happy thoughts!!

I think I need to watch the PTs again, the OT come to mind so easily but the PT for me not so much!
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Teo oswald on Sun 11 Feb 2018, 3:48 am

I want to hear Ben say "sweetheart"

it contains all the Han Solo Smile
Teo oswald
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire on Sun 11 Feb 2018, 9:15 am

The Reverse Anidala callbacks in my signature. Plus the Throne Room dialogue matching RotS almost verbatim.

ETA: Also I always imagined Broomboi's "whooo hooo" to be a call back to Anakin in TPM during the pod racing scene, which I know causes major eye rolls from lots of people who don't like broomboi lol
Slave boi who is unknowingly force sensitive, Anakin much?
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Sun 11 Feb 2018, 10:33 am

I definitely want to see Ben being less stiff and more open- he is so serious all the time in TFA & TLJ... I mean we as the audience do have a few funny moments but it's more because of the situation not because he says or does intentionally something to make you laugh.

I would love to see him and Rey being sarcastic and funny together in IX... not like Han and Leia because they obviously have another dynamic but I wouldn't mind some teasing between those two. Cool
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Sun 11 Feb 2018, 3:01 pm

@Night Huntress wrote:I definitely want to see Ben being less stiff and more open- he is so serious all the time in TFA & TLJ... I mean we as the audience do have a few funny moments but it's more because of the situation not because he says or does intentionally something to make you laugh.

I would love to see him and Rey being sarcastic and funny together in IX... not like Han and Leia because they obviously have another dynamic but I wouldn't mind some teasing between those two. Cool
@Night Huntress

Yes, it would be odd if we got Ren-demption but he was always uptight and never appeared, you know, HAPPY. Very Happy
californiagirl
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah on Sun 11 Feb 2018, 5:45 pm

Some of them are for kicks, some are pure schadenfreude, others are more serious.

- Ben flying the Falcon just like his dad did (this is a must for me!). Same style, going into hyperspace in crazy situations without knowing if it will work, accomplishing piloting feats without planning.
- Ben interacting with R2 and 3PO in ways that are reminiscent to Luke and Anakin
- Ben and Rey kiss and they're interrupted by 3PO (but unlike Han and Leia, they keep kissing or force push 3PO out of there so they can make out in peace)
- Naboo pears
- Ben and Rey at the Naboo lake house, with great dialogue to contrast the godawful sand scene
- "I have a bad feeling about this." - said by Ben
- Rey wearing some of Padme's clothes
- Reylo wedding resembling Anidala wedding visually for maximum poetry
- Twins!
- "Now this is podracing."
- Death Star joke
- "You're not alone", "Neither are you" officially become the ST version of "I love you", "I know" by having Rey say the first line in IX and Ben the second (just like they reversed the lines for HanLeia in RotJ.
- Did I mention I want more R2 doing his OT shenanigans?
- AotC arena execution scene with Reylo instead of Anidala (ordered by Hux because they killed Snoke and his guards).
rawpowah
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Teo oswald on Mon 12 Feb 2018, 10:39 am

I'd like Kylo to tell Rey : This bucket of bolts is never going to get us past that blockade , it's just a piece of junk !!!
and Rey replies : this piece of junk and bucket of bolts is the ship of your father and has got a few surprises left in her
Teo oswald
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by giaciak2 on Wed 14 Feb 2018, 6:26 am

@DeeBee I like this:
[she takes off her mask]
giaciak2
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by orangedelamer on Wed 14 Feb 2018, 7:54 am

@rawpowah wrote:Some of them are for kicks, some are pure schadenfreude, others are more serious.

- Ben flying the Falcon just like his dad did (this is a must for me!). Same style, going into hyperspace in crazy situations without knowing if it will work, accomplishing piloting feats without planning.
- Ben interacting with R2 and 3PO in ways that are reminiscent to Luke and Anakin
- Ben and Rey kiss and they're interrupted by 3PO (but unlike Han and Leia, they keep kissing or force push 3PO out of there so they can make out in peace)
- Naboo pears
- Ben and Rey at the Naboo lake house, with great dialogue to contrast the godawful sand scene
- "I have a bad feeling about this." - said by Ben
- Rey wearing some of Padme's clothes
- Reylo wedding resembling Anidala wedding visually for maximum poetry
- Twins!
- "Now this is podracing."
- Death Star joke
- "You're not alone", "Neither are you" officially become the ST version of "I love you", "I know" by having Rey say the first line in IX and Ben the second (just like they reversed the lines for HanLeia in RotJ.
- Did I mention I want more R2 doing his OT shenanigans?
- AotC arena execution scene with Reylo instead of Anidala (ordered by Hux because they killed Snoke and his guards).
@rawpowah

Yes! I love this one in particular:
“- AotC arena execution scene with Reylo instead of Anidala (ordered by Hux because they killed Snoke and his guards).”

It would be great if it happened.

Other scenes I have been thinking about:

- Anakin’s Force Ghost talking to Kylo/Ben

- Kylo going to Mustafar extremely distressed after learning about his mother’s death, starting to feel very guilty about his past actions and showing a lot of remorse. He is almost falling into lava but he is saved by Rey who tells him there is a way for him to redeem himself and to mend his errors. Then they agree on a plan to save the galaxy and end the war. Ben would turn to the light side at Mustafar paralleling Anakin’s becoming Vador at the same place.

Rey and Ben’s execution scene could happen later. After Ben had done several good deeds maybe as acting as a double-agent with only Rey knowing about it. Then Hux catches the two of them kissing Wink.

orangedelamer
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by thescavenger on Wed 14 Feb 2018, 10:59 am

I'm here for any interaction between Ben and C3PO, to be honest. I mean I bet he raised 'young Master Solo' himself.
thescavenger
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by nickandnora on Fri 16 Feb 2018, 9:46 am

Maybe this has already occurred to all of you, but for some reason it occurred to me only today that all the points in the first film where Rey is so quick to shoot her gun first (which is even mentioned, point blank, by Kylo in the novelization, yes?) are actually callbacks or possibly even foreshadowing to a redo of the infamous "Han shot first" debacle from A New Hope. Either the filmmakers think it's funny that there's a female character who literally always shoots first, or they're foreshadowing a future situation like in the cantina that will paint Rey in a very ambiguous light, like Han.

Let's just hope, if that's the case, that they make it crystal clear that Rey shot first. Smile

nickandnora
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee on Sat 17 Feb 2018, 8:45 pm

@Teo oswald wrote:I want to hear Ben say "sweetheart"
it contains all the Han Solo Smile
@Teo oswald – this would be wonderful!!!

@rawpowah – love your list!! I think these would all be wonderful! It’s going to be fun to see what they go with – and if any of us guess or suggest one that is used!
Instead of Naboo pears – how about a Naboo apple? Would be an Adam and Eve reference?
Out of your fab list, my faves would be:
Ben flying the MF and being bad***..
Rey wearing one of Padme’s outfits. Err just nothing from the phantom menace please. Rofl!

@giaciak2 wrote:@DeeBee I like this:
[she takes off her mask]
@giaciak2 – yeah I like this one too! Only.. I was thinking the other day, Kylo/Ben would sense it was Rey under the masks straight away because of their connection. Han couldn’t sense Leia because he wasn’t force sensitive..

@thescavenger wrote:I'm here for any interaction between Ben and C3PO, to be honest. I mean I bet he raised 'young Master Solo' himself.
@thescavenger – whooo I really like this! I loved the very understated moment between C3PO and Luke – Master Luke!
And the wink in reply? Was perfect!!!

@nickandnora – I really enjoy the Rey shoots first theme and it’s ties to Han too!

I came across a moment the other day in ROTS  that visually reminded me of a moment in TLJ. I havent’ seen it mentioned.. and I don’t have access yet to an image from TLJ.
However, in ROTS, when Anakin and Obi-wan find Palpatine being held captive by Dooku, Dooku arrives to confront them.. (there’s that famous line from Obi-wan here that Sith lords are their speciality).
Anakin and Obi-wan both turn to face Dooku, and they both take off their capes with great flourish right before they engage in the fight.

It really reminded me of that fabulous moment where Kylo/Ben takes off his cape on Crait right before he engages Luke in the fight!
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee on Sat 17 Feb 2018, 9:02 pm

I've been thinking about these call backs.. what I like, what I don't like...
I think they work best when they are lighthearted moments.

For the deeper, intense or intimate moments I think I prefer similarities - but not call backs. Does that make sense?
Like when Leia says I love you, and Han replies: I know - in ESB, then in ROTJ it is reversed..

I don't think I'd like to see Rey and Kylo/Ben say these words to each other. I think each couple should have their own special moments or exchanges that are unique to them. It's like how each couple has their own love theme - rather than there being one love theme across all 9 movies- you know?

I think this is what they did with the throne room scene - it was similar to the Anakin offer to Padme to rule the galaxy - but it wasn't so similar that in the moment I was taken out of the Throne room moment - I was only seeing Rey and Kylo/Ben. It's later that I realised the wider story telling in that moment.. I think that was great.

I would not like it if a call back during a special moment took me out of the story with a jolt - when I think: Whoooo I see what they just did there!! You know?

I'd be happy with a Rey and Kylo/Ben wedding next to the lake on Naboo - but it would need to be with a different slant on it.. does that make sense? similarities, but not the same.. I hope I'm making some sense.
Or like C3PO interrupting Rey and Kylo/Ben kissing - and things turn out rather differently haaaaa.. [maybe Ben is the one who runs off and is skittish haaaa]

So with all this in mind, I come back to rawpowah's suggestion:
"- "You're not alone", "Neither are you" officially become the ST version of "I love you", "I know" by having Rey say the first line in IX and Ben the second (just like they reversed the lines for HanLeia in RotJ."
I love this!!!! I want Rey and Kylo to have their own special call backs that are just for them...
This is great!

Anyone got any other Rey and Kylo/Ben dialogue that they'd like to see repeated in IX?
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum