Darth Vader Chronicles (a thread dedicated to the dark lord)

Go down

Darth Vader Chronicles (a thread dedicated to the dark lord)

Post by Darth Dementor on Tue 6 Mar - 10:53

Since this is a Star Wars themed establishment it's about time for the franchises most popular character to have his own thread.  Post any Anakin and Vader love here.

To start here is an excellent video about how powerful and skilled Anakin Skywalker really was.

And here are two more specifically about his abilities after he turned to the dark side. Showing how he had to overcome his physical limitations to reach his full powers, when he became Darth Vader.

Back to top Go down

Re: Darth Vader Chronicles (a thread dedicated to the dark lord)

Post by Darth_Awakened on Tue 6 Mar - 11:35

“I am altering the deal, pray I do not alter it any further…”

Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee on Sun 11 Mar - 9:25

Hi @Darth Dementor and @Darth_Awakened
This is a great idea for a thread!
I've recently discovered the darth vader comics... Just focusing on the canon content at the moment.. it's a bit confusing how many series there are, the chronology etc. and I'm very new to all this. Have you both read all of them?

I wanted to share that I've really enjoyed the 'Star Wars:Darth Vader' Comics.. I've found free voice dubbed versions on youtube that are fun to watch - and a great way to enjoy the content without having to spend $$! This youtube channel does such a great job! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt_HbmqOrM6fQMQBr4oVDA

It never fails to amaze me how Vader tortures people, they spill the beans. Then he kills them anyway. There is no benefit to telling him anything - Everyone just dies. At least Doctor Aphra worked that one out!

Anyway, I'm discovering lots of interesting content.. There was one moment that quite literally took my breath away!
The moment in Darth Vader #6 Darth Vader hears back from Boba Fett, who has been given the task of hunting down the pilot who blew up the death star - and who I think by this point Vader actually fought in a comic I haven't read yet (is this right? but Luke got away?)
Anyway, Luke has so far managed to evade Vader and anyone he sent..
Fett reports that again the pilot has gotten away, but he did find out a name: ...... Skywalker!!!
This is the moment where Darth Vader realises he has a son. Wow...
The emotions rolling off Vader are so intense they crack the glass in front of him as he looks out over the empire's fleet..
Even more wow is his reaction - that all this will be mine. Wow!!!  
I think it ties in with Kylo/Ben and the ruling the galaxy thing that we are left with at the end of the TLJ. Wow.
Here I'll share a few frames for anyone interested:

Lastly, I can't remember which number it was - but interesting to see the force using twins in competition with Vader - about the same time Padme's mortitian came into the picture - lots of foreshadowing and suspense going on when all the questioning is about only one child! [don't want to spoil too much!]

In time, I'll try and get through the other vader comics and get my head around the order etc. lol!
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dementor on Sun 11 Mar - 10:36

@DeeBee that is a great comic series. I read the first couple issues and loved it! It really fills in the gap between ROTS and ANH. If Lucas Films decided to make a DV movie this would be a superb template.

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dementor on Wed 14 Mar - 8:54

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee on Thu 22 Mar - 13:37

Hiya! I came across an awesome interview with george lucas in rolling stone and thought I would share it here..

source: https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/george-lucas-and-the-cult-of-darth-vader-20050602

Here's a few quotes to give you a taste.. with the ST in mind - I found this fascinating! References to ruling the galaxy and killing your parents? This gave me chills!!!

Edwards (2005) Rolling Stone article: 'George Lucas and the Cult of Darth Vader' wrote:
Q-Even as you were building up this iconic villain, you knew the tragedy behind it.
A- He's so overwhelming in that first film, but you get to the point where you say, "Wait a minute, if he's so powerful, why doesn't he run the universe?" He even gets pushed around by the governors! They know the Emperor is the final word, so what happens is the same thing that happens in any corporation: Everybody worries about the top man, they don't worry about his goon. And by the time the Death Star is finished, it gives them the sense that they have a bigger, better suit than Darth Vader. In a standoff between the Death Star and Darth Vader, they have no question about who would win, and it's not this mumbo-jumbo Sith guy. So it's even more tragic, because he's not even an all-powerful bad guy, he's kind of a flunky.

Q-Rewatching the Star Wars films recently, I found it interesting how the new films reframed the old ones: They now seem primarily concerned with the tragedy of Darth Vader, rather than the triumph of the Rebels.
A-Yeah, I made a series of movies that was about one thing: Darth Vader. Originally, people thought it was all about Luke. The early films are about Luke redeeming his father, so Luke's the focus. But it's also about Princess Leia and her struggle to reestablish the Republic, which is what her mother was doing. So it's really about mothers and daughters and fathers and sons.

So now, instead of all these surprises that aren't actually surprises, when you get back to Episode IV, as soon as Darth Vader walks through that door, and you see Princess Leia with R2, you're going to say, "Oh, my God, that's his daughter. Are they gonna find out?" And you get through the whole first movie and nobody figures anything out. The figuring-out part is mostly done off-screen. The first three episodes are a tragedy, and the second three go slightly goofy, but they're inspirational: Even the worst, most evil people find compassion. Darth Vader has compassion for his children, and that's ultimately what children are for.

Q-Often, in classical tragedies, there's a final moment when the scales fall from the hero's eyes.
A-Well, in real Greek tragedies, the kids are usually the problem. They're the ones that are killing the parents, but this is more uplifting: It's up to one generation to fix the sins of the last generation.

DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyGaufrette on Tue 28 Aug - 3:32

I found this video which is a great depiction of Anakin's life (made me cry a little).

This YT channel also did other characters, I'm trying to find the good places to post them.

There is also this children book “Are You Scared, Darth Vader?” By Adam Rex, which with a few pictures really show how Vader is suffering.
Pictures underneath:

http://little-lackadaisical.tumblr.com/post/176006583331
LadyGaufrette
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by adamdrivershair on Tue 28 Aug - 6:42

My favorite Darth-related thing was what was essentially a fan fiction in blog form, written as if it were Vader's journal. It was posted on Blogspot in 2005 in the lead-up to RoTS and went viral. It's sooo good.

This page has links to both the original site and a PDF: http://cheeseburgerbrown.com/Darth_Vader/

The ending of the final entry is as such (he was visited by the ghost of Qui-gon shortly beforehand):

Qui-gon was right. My mother was, too. The Force has shaped this life of mine, from birth to this holy now. Every turn in the path has been an instruction in a series of lessons designed to make me the monster I am, to breed my unwilling heart for whatever lies ahead tomorrow.

Qui-gon said I would have a choice. I cannot fathom it but I have faith.

If he's right, I need not die a slave.

The sun is rising. Morning birds are singing. The mist is burning off the trees. I have already delayed too long. I must join my son on the Death Star, and bring him before my master. Come what may.

And so, dear reader, I must bid you adieu. You have been along with me for much, but you cannot join me on this final journey.

I go now to meet my destiny.

ETA: @LadyGaufrette I love his videos!
adamdrivershair
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyGaufrette on Tue 28 Aug - 17:15

@adamdrivershair
I glanced at it and I like the concept. I'll try to find time to read it when I can.

Glad you liked the videos, my favorite is 'The Greatest Teacher Failure is' and I hope he makes one on Leia after IX. Very Happy
LadyGaufrette
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by adamdrivershair on Wed 29 Aug - 2:45

@LadyGaufrette Wow, his videos make me cry enough as it is; a Leia one would have me sobbing probably!
adamdrivershair
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum