The Last Jedi General Discussion

Page 5 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14 ... 23  Next

Go down

Re: The Last Jedi General Discussion

Post by Night Huntress on Fri 23 Mar 2018, 4:31 pm

I rewatched that fight scene with Luke & Kylo - nothing wrong with his face...I don't even see that vain. It's like @ZioRen wrote- you see the imperfections in his skin tone more because of the bright light  Nope

Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AhsokaTano on Fri 23 Mar 2018, 4:36 pm

I really hope this isn’t happening to Kylo . Disfigurement due to the dark side isn’t new . In the Revan book Darth Nyriss a female sith gets disfigured through dark side use and in the aftermath trilogy it happens to
Palpatine’s advisers ie Tashu. It’s almost as if the dark side feeds off you . Ok have screenshot the parts in the Revan novel that explain this - sorry not figured out how to highlight yet - this is when lord scourge a sith meets Darth Nyriss a female sith for the first time :

AhsokaTano
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen on Fri 23 Mar 2018, 4:39 pm

If they wanted Kylo's appearance to be warping because of the dark side, it would be 100% obvious like @nickandnora said. They took pains to make sure his scar didn't ruin his features in any way when they really didn't have to. The way he looks on Crait is how he looked the whole time of TLJ, you just see it all in the light. And of course he doesn't look amazing because he's basically having a meltdown and his all around look in TLJ is much rougher than in TFA to show off his suffering. Not his darkness, his emotional suffering over killing his father and his physical wounds (I keep thinking: If even his face isn't completely healed, I bet that bowcaster wound is still throbbing the whole time)
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Fri 23 Mar 2018, 4:42 pm

Disintegrating from the dark side?

Never heard of such thing.

The only unnatural change we have seen in the movies so far are the yellow Sith eyes. Other changes are due to physical injuries or force lightning in Palpatine's case which had nothing to do with the dark side consuming the evil Sith Lord.

Adam Driver looks very menacing and scary when yelling. Is enraged Adam Suckler from Girls disintegrated from the dark side?

@AhsokaTano Revan is a character from the EU. The EU is not a canon any more.

Last edited by Darth_Awakened on Fri 23 Mar 2018, 4:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar on Fri 23 Mar 2018, 4:47 pm

He has been wearing a mask for how many years straight so no wonder he looks too pale and unhealthy for now.

The same people who were waiting for him to get bald, lose an eye and have an ugly scar are now probably waiting for him to change but as it didn't happen before it won't happen in the IX as well. He looks perfectly fine when we see him the last and he will stay that way. He is not turning into Snoke.

but imo that "evil=ugly" narrative needs to go away.
SkyStar
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress on Fri 23 Mar 2018, 4:47 pm

I don't think he is really using or harnessing the dark side like Palpatine or some other Sith did (he isn't as Sith, we know that).
He is angry and broken but never focused enough to use it for his advantage - I think that's what distinguish him from a real darksider...his anger doesn't make him stronger...it makes him weaker! He is so out of it he doesn't even noticed that his uncle is a projection and he should have!
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight13 on Fri 23 Mar 2018, 4:47 pm

Maybe it's this shot? It's the lighting, he looks better when his face is illuminated.
Spoiler:

Moonlight13

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Fri 23 Mar 2018, 4:53 pm

@Moonlight13 wrote:Maybe it's this shot? It's the lighting, he looks better when his face is illuminated.
Spoiler:

@Moonlight13

I saw nothing unusual on that shot either.
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight13 on Fri 23 Mar 2018, 4:56 pm

@Darth_Awakened wrote:
@Moonlight13 wrote:Maybe it's this shot? It's the lighting, he looks better when his face is illuminated.
Spoiler:

@Moonlight13

@Darth_Awakened
I think his scar looks darker in this shot. It's the only thing I could think of that could make them believe that he's disintegrating or something. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Moonlight13

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar on Fri 23 Mar 2018, 4:58 pm

it's funny I just realized that his paleness could also be related to him actually being so afraid of Luke that he got hit by an adrenaline. He was so terrified that it actually took the color from his face? Who knows maybe for him facing Luke 1:1 was even braver then killing Snoke. Neutral
SkyStar
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Fri 23 Mar 2018, 5:00 pm

@Moonlight13 wrote:
@Darth_Awakened wrote:
Spoiler:

@Moonlight13

@Darth_Awakened
I think his scar looks darker in this shot. It's the only thing I could think of that could make them believe that he's disintegrating or something. Laughing Laughing Laughing
@Moonlight13

It's because the lightning. All other shots in the movie with Kylo are from much darker backgrounds where scar is not prominent the way it is in the light of Crait.

No disintegrations - only fanboys wishful thinking.
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AhsokaTano on Fri 23 Mar 2018, 5:07 pm

@Darth _Awakened
Am sure these fanboys are probably getting this idea about kylo through EU books like Revan even though it’s not canon . However having said that the dark side of the force can be vampiric ie draining life because this is in the canon comics ( screaming citadel ?)and also Tashu in the aftermath novels (canon )goes insane because of the dark side so it has the power to not only corrupt but feed off you and your mind . I don’t think this is happening to kylo ( at least not in Last Jedi and I hope not in episode 9) but I can see where these fanboys have got their ideas from . Also why have none of them
Mentioned Hux ? Hux looks like a vampire in last Jedi - he’s even more pale than Kylo! They are pale due to long periods in space according to the visual
Dictionary of force awakens by
Pablo Hidalgo and he should know ! Smile

AhsokaTano
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Good-olio Raeh on Fri 23 Mar 2018, 5:25 pm

@special_cases I love Leia's expression in this...like, "yes, I am matching them...you know I am." Hey, that's what she's thinking in the journal novelization of this scene.
Good-olio Raeh
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramblingrose on Fri 23 Mar 2018, 6:13 pm

@Kessel wrote:
@Night Huntress wrote:it would make no sense for me to make him wear that stupid mask again...it would be a step back from his character development.
He is Supreme Leader now, why hide behind a mask? Rolling Eyes

Don't say they won't do it- anything is possible... but I personally would hate it.
@Night Huntress

I doubt they’ll put him back in the mask for IX. I agree it doesn’t make sense for the character, he’s grown beyond the need for it. However, I wouldn’t put it past IX’s marketing to show him wearing something menacing and I suppose a new mask in a trailer (something taken out of context) is not impossible, just to get people wondering...
@Kessel

The bolded: I strongly hope that others will use the mask and as I was writing earlier, I also hope that he/she/they will continue to act as "Kylo Ren" after the real Kylo has defected or escaped a coup.
Remember the trailers for TFA never showed Rey with the lightsaber. I imagine the trailers for IX can show the menacing "Kylo Ren" back in full costume, acting like he did on Jakku or worse. This way people will say, yes he is the big bad, we knew it.
Ramblingrose
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases on Fri 23 Mar 2018, 6:17 pm

@AhsokaTano wrote:@Darth _Awakened
Am sure these fanboys are probably getting this idea about kylo through EU books like Revan even though it’s not canon . However having said that the dark side of the force can be vampiric ie draining life because this is in the canon comics ( screaming citadel ?)and also Tashu in the aftermath novels (canon )goes insane because of the dark side so it has the power to not only corrupt but feed off you and your mind . I don’t think this is happening to kylo ( at least not in Last Jedi and I hope not in episode 9) but I can see where these fanboys have got their ideas from . Also why have none of them
Mentioned Hux ? Hux looks like a vampire in last Jedi - he’s even more pale than Kylo! They are pale due to long periods in space according to the visual
Dictionary of force awakens by
Pablo Hidalgo and he should know ! Smile

@AhsokaTano

Haha funny about Hux! lol!
special_cases
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Fri 23 Mar 2018, 6:59 pm

Yeah, it was Harloff and a few Collider people, plus some Den of Nerds people who actually want Reylo but also evil power hungry Renperor before Rey turns him (I would prefer he have more agency to make his redemption arc more believable). I stopped listening to Jedi Council around that time.

No one learned anything from TLJ. Back to making the ST even more simplistic than even the OT was. It's shocking how little credit the biggest SW fans give SW.
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah on Fri 23 Mar 2018, 9:43 pm

I can't believe this is even taken seriously. And coming from Collider, no less. Laughing Like, come on. Laughing

He looks incredibly pretty on Crait to me. Even when enraged there's this soft and lost boy quality about him, and Rian focuses on his eyes and highlights his youthfulness a lot in those scenes. His ears also looked cute in that Crait wind lol.

Hux on the other hand looks quite vampiric because of the makeup, which is also specifically designed to age him. The difference between those two characters could not be clearer.
rawpowah
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Fri 23 Mar 2018, 10:41 pm

Also did anyone think that the part in Hux's hair is shaped like the giant canyon-like scar on Snoke's head or am I seeing things?
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

general discussion merge

Post by SoloSideCousin on Sat 24 Mar 2018, 11:00 am

Spoiler:

@Moonlight13

I think that they are probably referring to that shot. But notice the non-scarred side of his face is completely. When Palpatine got messed up, his whole face went. I think all those veins indicate that he is an extremely stressful state. And again, all of that goes away when he is kneeling. Even the red on his neck is gone. And when you look at the Girls shot, Adam's neck is as red as hell. That's Adam becoming the character so much that he is having a physiological reaction.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Teo oswald on Sat 24 Mar 2018, 11:53 am

ahahahah
I totally agree , he prefers her when she's a bad a**!!! Smile
Teo oswald
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Sat 24 Mar 2018, 12:38 pm

My favorite description of Hux (and I wish I could remember who wrote it) is that he spends the entire movie looking like he's coming down off a coke bender.

Also it flew past me earlier today and I can't find it, but the mention of Maz's "Somebody who still could" line paying off in TLJ is first and foremost Rey's appearance on Ache-to on behalf of Leia setting off the kick in the pants which forces Luke off of lonely hermit island to face up to what he did and make amends. It does also start Ben's arc (for good or bad, fingers crossed) to get out from underneath Snoke's control. And sets up the confrontation/resolution of what happened between Luke and Ben. And that's similar to TFA, she doesn't do the heavy lifting or emotional labor for the characters around her (unfortunately all men, so god please let her and Rose get time together in IX), but acts as a catalyst. Meeting Rey forces both Han and Luke to confront the difficult situation and emotional fallout from what happened in their family and respective responsibilities as a father and uncle/brother. With Finn, she at least starts him on the path of wanting to run away and hide out of self-protection to caring about/looking out for other people. He's not there yet and it takes meeting Rose for him to finally step up, but at least with Rey he's forced to confront the thing/fears he's running away from and shows courage.
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin on Sat 24 Mar 2018, 4:07 pm

Hey, I was organizing my books and I started looking at the TLJ Visual Dictionary. I hadn't really looked at it after TLJ, but there is some interesting stuff there that I don't think anyone has mentioned so far.

One interesting thing that I have come across so far is that the younger members of the FO officer corps are people who were raised in the FO by birth and indoctrinated their entire lives. Further, a bunch of these young officers are "subadults" (I guess SW words for tweens and teens) who are too young for combat. It's on page 33.

Yet another example of massive brainwashing/mental manipulation of the post- Galactic War generation with Kylo being the poster boy, (even more than Finn IMO, because Finn broke programming really easily unlike Snoke's influence on Kylo), for them. The Empire (FO) needs children indeed.
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 on Sat 24 Mar 2018, 4:43 pm

@Teo oswald wrote:

ahahahah
I totally agree , he prefers her when she's a bad a**!!! Smile
@Teo oswald yep haha Laughing

Dar-ren19
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened on Sat 24 Mar 2018, 4:48 pm

@SoloSideCousin wrote:Hey, I was organizing my books and I started looking at the TLJ Visual Dictionary.  I hadn't really looked at it after TLJ, but there is some interesting stuff there that I don't think anyone has mentioned so far.

One interesting thing that I have come across so far is that the younger members of the FO officer corps are people who were raised in the FO by birth and indoctrinated their entire lives. Further, a bunch of these young officers are "subadults" (I guess SW words for tweens and teens) who are too young for combat. It's on page 33.

Yet another example of massive brainwashing/mental manipulation of the post- Galactic War generation with Kylo being the poster boy, (even more than Finn IMO, because Finn broke programming really easily unlike Snoke's influence on Kylo), for them. The Empire (FO) needs children indeed.
@SoloSideCousin

Yeah, I agree. The Visual dictionary is pretty much informative. Despite Pablo's usual generic SW vocabulary (aka power hungry Kylo - which I still don't get completely - as I saw very little of it in the movies (unlike in Anakin/Vader's case). All these proposal speech to Rey comes across more like Kylo wishing to change something fundamentally rather than to rule for the sake of ruling.

The stuff that made me intrigued the most - is the page dedicated to Hux. He's described as an ultimate dirty player and a backstabber, even having the professional assassin among his stuff. If it's not a foreshadowing I don't what is it.
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene on Sat 24 Mar 2018, 5:28 pm

If Kylo's appearance in the end was meant to signify transition to the dark side, it would be as subtle as Harvey Dent in The Dark Knight, lol.
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 23 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14 ... 23  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum