The Last Jedi General Discussion

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Re: The Last Jedi General Discussion

Post by Kylo Rey on Sat 24 Mar 2018, 7:56 pm

The dark streak in the Skywalkers is undeniable. You can't escape your blood. He is his uncle's nephew. Kylo really is a dark version of Luke - one that gave into his father's offer and succumbed to the dark side. Fascinating that love for Anakin can be a redemptive force and a destructive force. His legacy still casts a strong shadow in this saga.
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sat 24 Mar 2018, 8:47 pm

i was stanning for Will and Elizabeth type of a fight scene and while we didn't get

I'm very happy we got

Twisted Evil

Great start, IMO!
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Teo oswald on Sun 25 Mar 2018, 6:06 am

@Kylo Rey great job Smile Luke and Kylo are similar in very aspects Very Happy
@vaderito I thought about them when I saw that scene. out minds are connected !!! Laughing
Teo oswald
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito on Sun 25 Mar 2018, 2:19 pm

@Teo oswald wrote:@Kylo Rey great job Smile Luke and Kylo are similar in very aspects Very Happy
@vaderito I thought about them when I saw that scene. our minds are connected !!! Laughing
@Teo oswald

It's Snoke who did it! lol!
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Sun 25 Mar 2018, 5:20 pm

In TFA, Kylo is very much a Knight, which is reflected in his costume design and in keeping with the medieval fantasy/fairytale vibe.

In TLJ, Kylo is like a Prince, which is again reflected in his costume design.

In IX, Kylo is now Supreme Leader of the FO and in charge of an entire galaxy. He is very much taking on a kingly position. I imagine it will again be reflected in his costume too.

I'm excited to see what Michael Kaplan will come up with.
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Sun 25 Mar 2018, 6:47 pm

Not sure why I've had an explosion of TLJ feelings in the last few weeks, but it just occurred to me that maybe the ugliest aspect of audience reaction is the perception that Rian is an inconsiderate jerk. Like he just disregarded the last movie, the next movie, the entire concept of consistency in the trilogy. When in reality he's really been so sweet and collected, never mad, never getting defensive, never attacking anyone or complaining or acting like a victim, spending hours at events interacting with fans.

I was not paying attention two years ago, but I get the impression Rian has an unusual level of contact with fans. What was JJ like at that time? I get the impression he did not do many interviews and does not have social media. I'd be a little salty if I was him!

Last edited by californiagirl on Sun 25 Mar 2018, 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
californiagirl
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Sun 25 Mar 2018, 7:07 pm

@californiagirl wrote:Not sure why I've had an explosion of TLJ feelings in the last few weeks, but it jist occurred to me that maybe the ugliest aspect of audience reaction is the perception that Rian is an inconsiderate jerk. Like he just disregarded the last movie, the next movie, the entire concept of consistency in the trilogy. When in reality he's really been so sweet and collected, never mad, never getting defensive, never attacking anyone or complaining or acting like a victim, spending hours at events interacting with fans.

I was not paying attention two years ago, but I get the impression Rian has an unusual level of contact with fans. What was JJ like at that time? I get the impression he did not do many interviews and does not have social media. I'd be a little salty if I was him!
@californiagirl

Rian is incredibly sweet and nice, especially for a Hollywood Director. He just seems to be a calm and collected person in general, with a great temperament. Also, he's always been fond of attending Q&As and doing podcasts for his older movies. I remember when he was on a Slashfilm podcast a few years before TLJ came out and he was talking about it. He just really enjoys discussing film. A large part of it probably had to do with his indie background too. As for JJ, I actually wrote a post about this a while back:

Nah, JJ isn't as giving as Rian. He's notorious for his mystery box and he took it to another level with TFA. Which is ironic as MakingStarWars leaked the whole plot about a year beforehand. The only time Rey and Kylo were even shown together in TFA marketing was the international Japanese trailer. Rian is definitely an anomaly amongst directors in terms of fan interaction and giving us all these tidbits. JJ may be more open regarding IX as we know the characters and the story now so it's a slightly different situation. And @MyOnlyHope is completely correct, JJ quotes are rare so every one we get is a goldmine and his directors commentary was especially great for this.

http://reylo.skyforum.net/t686p850-predictions-for-episode-9#179035

Don't expect anywhere near the same level of fan interaction with him, he's a lot more traditional Hollywood. We've been very, very lucky with Rian in this regard, especially with how vulnerable he's made himself to the backlash by staying on social media. JJ does have a twitter account btw, he created it recently but it's locked.
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_marshmallow on Mon 26 Mar 2018, 1:04 am

There was a link on the forum to "the Director and the Jedi" documentary. Could someone help me to locate it?
Darth_marshmallow
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases on Mon 26 Mar 2018, 3:41 am

@Darth_marshmallow wrote:There was a link on the forum to "the Director and the Jedi" documentary. Could someone help me to locate it?
@Darth_marshmallow

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6gao2u
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6gao2t
special_cases
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_marshmallow on Mon 26 Mar 2018, 4:01 am

@special_cases wrote:
@Darth_marshmallow wrote:There was a link on the forum to "the Director and the Jedi" documentary. Could someone help me to locate it?
@Darth_marshmallow

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6gao2u
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6gao2t
@special_cases
Thanks so much! Love

Darth_marshmallow
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri on Mon 26 Mar 2018, 9:46 am

Saw this on reddit. Never noticed the bodies of students on the ground in Lukes flashback :/

Riri
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases on Mon 26 Mar 2018, 3:52 pm

I noticed 2 strange things about flashbacks. In 2nd version (Kylo) and in 3d version there is odd sound when the lightsaber flys to Kylo. Don't laugh, but to me it sounds like Wookie language.

And in the end of 3nd, when hut collapse, you can hear very short and very loud scream - maybe a child, maybe a woman. This is not Luke's or Kylo's scream. Also, the last version is the only version when Kylo's theme plays in the end.

Also, the last time Ben and Luke see each other, Ben blows up the hut. The first time Kylo and Luke see each other, Luke blows up the hut.

special_cases
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dementor on Mon 26 Mar 2018, 4:26 pm

@Kylo Rey wrote:

The dark streak in the Skywalkers is undeniable. You can't escape your blood. He is his uncle's nephew. Kylo really is a dark version of Luke - one that gave into his father's offer and succumbed to the dark side. Fascinating that love for Anakin can be a redemptive force and a destructive force. His legacy still casts a strong shadow in this saga.
@Kylo Rey

On top of all these echoing moments Kylo took the steps George Lucas almost considered for Luke.

At one point Lucas really contemplated turning Luke to the dark side after Vader died. The last scene of ROTJ could have been Luke taking his father's helmet, putting it on and saying "now I am the emperor and I will destroy the Rebel Alliance."

So instead of it happening in Episode VI that ending got transplanted to Episode VIII.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Tue 27 Mar 2018, 9:44 am

@Riri wrote:Saw this on reddit. Never noticed the bodies of students on the ground in Lukes flashback :/

@Riri

I noticed them, and thought it seemed like a lot of bodies (unless some of what I think are bodies are just rubble). Luke took "a dozen students," right? And Kylo ran off with a "handful" (who we suspect became the KoR) and killed the rest. So, 13 students (Kylo + a dozen) - 7 (Kylo and 6 KoR) should equal 6 dead students. It feels like there are more in the picture than that but it's pretty hard to determine what's definitely a body.
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by unicorn on Tue 27 Mar 2018, 10:32 am

Wow, I never noticed them at cinema. But now I count 6 corpses, all left of Luke, in the lower half of this pic. And two of them are quite clear to see. Once seen neer unseen.
unicorn
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by nickandnora on Tue 27 Mar 2018, 11:08 am

@Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
@Riri wrote:Saw this on reddit. Never noticed the bodies of students on the ground in Lukes flashback :/

@Riri

I noticed them, and thought it seemed like a lot of bodies (unless some of what I think are bodies are just rubble). Luke took "a dozen students," right? And Kylo ran off with a "handful" (who we suspect became the KoR) and killed the rest. So, 13 students (Kylo + a dozen) - 7 (Kylo and 6 KoR) should equal 6 dead students. It feels like there are more in the picture than that but it's pretty hard to determine what's definitely a body.
@Cowgirlsamurai

OK, theory time:

Assuming the numbers are correct and six were killed and six went with Ben, what if the six that were killed were the actual plants/spies of Snoke? It makes plausible sense when you think about it: Ben wakes up and sees Luke standing over him in all his murderous glory (from Ben's PoV), he collapses the roof and leaves Luke under the rubble. Next thing he knows the six "fake" padawans are revealing themselves, and the six other legit students have no idea what's happening. It's a total gong show and all Ben knows is that Luke tried to murder him and now half the other students seem to be corrupted. So he kills them and makes off with the other six students (who aren't actually the Knights of Ren, they're just normal kids). What if Ben left with them to either hide them or return them to their families? That would be quite the twist. And then the Knights of Ren have really just been with Snoke this whole time and they're just a whole other thing (ie. they weren't at Luke's Jedi Camp).

We'd have inverse Anakin with that scenario, again.

nickandnora
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri on Tue 27 Mar 2018, 11:32 am

I think the other bodies could be people who helped run the academy like janiters etc

Riri
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase on Tue 27 Mar 2018, 12:36 pm

New poll:

http://www.starwars.com/news/poll-what-is-the-best-scene-in-star-wars-the-last-jedi

Well, surprise! Battling the praetorian guards is leading:

Husband: “why can’t you choose shirtless Kylo?” Razz
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by lauvamp on Tue 27 Mar 2018, 3:27 pm

'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Gag Reel

http://www.etonline.com/media/videos/star-wars-the-last-jedi-gag-reel-carrie-fisher-slaps-oscar-isaac-over-40-times?linkId=49756696

Really fun but, how come it is so difficult to get stuff of Adam x Daisy together laughing and talking? scratch
lauvamp
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

https://lauvamp.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Tue 27 Mar 2018, 6:10 pm

“I knew intellectually what I was letting myself in for, but then when it happens you’re like, ‘Oh my God, this is intense!’ It’s about knowing you’re not going to please everyone. But then you still read someone saying they wish you were dead and it’s going to ruin your day. There were death threats. It’s balanced by a few things — 90 per cent of the stuff I got online was not only lovely and encouraging but phenomenally thoughtful. Fans would send me essays on the movie. The other 10 per cent is just loud and gets amplified. At first I was freaked out but then I realised the things people were angry about are the things I’m most proud about.”
— Rian Johnson

https://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/celebrity-news/star-wars-director-rian-johnson-i-felt-the-force-of-fans-fury-with-last-jedi-a3800261.html
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MindAndMagic on Tue 27 Mar 2018, 6:21 pm

TLJ Honest Trailer xD

[Rey]After being called by Luke's lightsaber is called by the Jedi texts, called by a big wet hole and called by her greatest frenemy."

But forget about the b**hurt fanbous who are just mad the movie isn't closer to the one they wrote in their heads.

Kylo Ren is back and he demands a full reboot ["Let the past die" xD] when he doesn't look like he is about to cry, which is ALWAYS. Watch as he ditches the Vader, fanboy act, the mightly duck mask and... his shirt.
MindAndMagic
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Tue 27 Mar 2018, 7:07 pm

@Kylo Rey wrote:“I knew intellectually what I was letting myself in for, but then when it happens you’re like, ‘Oh my God, this is intense!’ It’s about knowing you’re not going to please everyone. But then you still read someone saying they wish you were dead and it’s going to ruin your day. There were death threats. It’s balanced by a few things — 90 per cent of the stuff I got online was not only lovely and encouraging but phenomenally thoughtful. Fans would send me essays on the movie. The other 10 per cent is just loud and gets amplified. At first I was freaked out but then I realised the things people were angry about are the things I’m most proud about.”
— Rian Johnson

https://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/celebrity-news/star-wars-director-rian-johnson-i-felt-the-force-of-fans-fury-with-last-jedi-a3800261.html
@Kylo Rey

He's just such a good sport. I think it will die down to an extent pretty soon.
californiagirl
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 on Tue 27 Mar 2018, 8:55 pm

@californiagirl IMO, TLJ will easily be deemed the 2nd best SW movie after TESB by the fan base in less than five years. Just some time and perspective is in order.

And yes I wish they’d show some BTS of Adam!! Cowards, indeed. At least we got the tie fighter(?) gif...
Dar-ren19
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix on Tue 27 Mar 2018, 9:52 pm

TLJ on Blu-Ray; see dead students in HD!

( Disney approved )
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin on Tue 27 Mar 2018, 10:04 pm

One of the things from that article is how he was able to deal with the scrutiny from fans and the press in a way that's gracious, albeit yikes at the jerks and outright crazies. But that's part of why he got handed another trilogy, he represents LF well. Didn't get that same sense from Trevorrow's interviews (where there's the extra scrutiny of getting in the position he was in thanks to making friends with the right people), he comes off as somewhat prickly/defensive. It's hard to imagine him being able to handle the same situations as diplomatically.

So on another topic, I was thinking about the list of film influences Rian had mentioned in the old Empire podcast after they announced he was hired. The cinematography influences from those films are clear and Holdo's arc is pretty obviously meant to be 12 O'Clock High. But what I was thinking about for the Force plot was Three Outlaw Samurai, which we'd speculated about about, because one of its central themes is about shifting loyalties and alliances between the characters.

My Pre-TLJ Thoughts wrote:a central theme is people from opposing sides forced together by circumstances and how it changes both how they perceive one another and the respective causes/sides they're affiliated with. That each of the central characters ends up betraying the cause or system they're affiliated with in order to actual stay true to their sense of honor. @nonesuch wrote a great (as always) summary and speculation piece on it about a year ago. Or this slightly more tongue in cheek take. Where you do have the conclusion betewen the main two original antagonists with the line
I see things differently now. Many things differently

So post TLJ score card on those themes, I guess we saw Luke unintentionally betray his family with what happened with Ben, Ben big time betrays his family by destroying Luke's temple, allying with Snoke/the FO, and murdering Han, and then betrays Snoke by allying with Rey, murdering Snoke, and then betrays Rey by deciding to go for the throne. And Rey ends up betraying the Resistance by getting involved with Ben, taking his side against Luke, not bringing Luke back to the Resistance (good thing he had that Force projection trick), and helping Ben take out Snoke and becoming Supreme Leader. And 'complicated enemies' sure do see things differently now. On the Resistance side, DJ's more clear-cut of shifting his loyalties based on how it can benefit him and Poe at least with trying to undercut Holdo (though he comes to heel by the end).
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum