The Last Jedi General Discussion

Page 23 of 26 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

Go down

The Last Jedi General Discussion - Page 23 Empty Re: The Last Jedi General Discussion

Post by LadyGaufrette on Sun 28 Oct - 21:02

@Moonlight13

"humanistic rapport", is that how youngsters call it those days. Lolilol
LadyGaufrette
LadyGaufrette
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

The Last Jedi General Discussion - Page 23 Empty Re: The Last Jedi General Discussion

Post by Moonlight13 on Tue 6 Nov - 21:15

Moonlight13
Moonlight13

Back to top Go down

Post by AhsokaTano on Tue 6 Nov - 21:27

@Moonlight13
Soooo cute !!!! ❤️ But also very interesting and revealing - again emphasising that Kylo is the way he is because of Snoke ! Sad
AhsokaTano
AhsokaTano
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Thu 8 Nov - 18:45

So... I always thought the crystal had split, but evidently not.

The Last Jedi General Discussion - Page 23 Lights11
The Last Jedi General Discussion - Page 23 Lights10
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Man Without A Star on Thu 8 Nov - 20:16

There is only one kyber crystal in saber. That image is from the old EU.
Man Without A Star
Man Without A Star
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen on Thu 8 Nov - 22:33

My knowledge in lightsaber technology is close to zero, but if there were 2 crystals that got separated and not one that was broken, the whole scene has no point. Rey would just need to glue both parts of the lightsaber together and tada, no? And why was there a burst of energy that knocked Rey and Kylo down if no crystal was broken? And why am I thinking so much about it, now Smile

ETA

Dumb me, I had forgotten someone offered me the book on lightsabers by Pablo Hidalgo. Indeed only one kyber crystal. There’s even a cross section drawing of Anakin’s lightsaber.
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai on Fri 9 Nov - 3:09

@Man Without A Star

Thanks! I see now that that Twitter thread has been updated with new info as well Smile

@SanghaRen

Yeah, I was thinking about it all afternoon too. confused
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Sat 17 Nov - 16:35

Minor spoilers for the new Fantastic Beasts movie. Compares the way TLJ and Potter movies use or don't use fan service and connecting different characters and generations to each other. People getting mad either way. So what do people want exactly?

The damage is done regarding fans' trust in certain things happening in the ST. Now to convince them it isn't all a horrible mistake and will be retconned. Press for IX should be fun in this regard.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/will-fantastic-beasts-2-twist-anger-fans-1161858?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey on Wed 21 Nov - 1:54

I just watched TLJ again (most of it, skipped some parts). To reiterate my immediate thoughts from my very first viewing last year: Ben Solo is such a tragic character. Rian and Adam definitely succeeded (a little too well, to the detriment of the heroes) in the humanising part of his story in the middle chapter. Rey and Kylo are so emotionally stunted and it’s so sad to see it all fall apart. Crait is still enormously painful after watching Kylo slide into the darkness again and all his rage and despair is so relatable. Everyone else learning from their failures while Ben Solo fails and is all alone while holding his father’s dice just exacerbates the sadness Sad I will be so disappointed, saddened and will forever lose faith in Star Wars if he isn’t redeemed.
Kylo Rey
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri on Fri 7 Dec - 21:57

Cinema Wins!!!

Great vid! Says some amazing stuff about Rey/Kylo dynamic and calls the hut scene the most compelling part of the film and mentions “romantic” too.

He sorta makes a jokey comment in the Poe-Rey scene about Finn+Rey being revealed as siblings next movie so theres love interest for everyone, i jus dislike it when that scene is alluded to romance!

Riri
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases on Fri 7 Dec - 23:34

So I've been reading old threads about PT and noticed a few interesting ideas about Skywalkers and Anakin's fate overall. So I've decided to rewatch Attack of the Clones.

The moment when Anakin finds his mother is the same time when Rey and Kylo are interrupted by Luke. So this is a middlepoint of both films.

This is the moment when Shmi is dying in Anakin's hands. (And Shmi has two marks on her face exactly like Kylo. Just a thought, I don't think it's really connected)

"I'm so proud of you, Ani, so proud. I missed you so much. Now I am complete."

The Last Jedi General Discussion - Page 23 65510

(I'm sorry for these terrible images)

In TLJ it's a moment when Kylo sees Luke with rised lightsaber

The Last Jedi General Discussion - Page 23 66710

So the moment of Shmi's death parallels with the moment Ben becomes Kylo. Interesting that from certain point of view Shmi's death is the moment when Anakin makes the first step to become Vader. And both Anakin and Kylo kill group of people after this tragedy.

Then Anakin buries his mum. The scene ends on 1:30:00 - Anakin and Padme together leave the planet. The scene when Rey comes to Kylo starts on 1:28:55. I understand that nobody makes movies like this but I find this coincidence funny 'cause Rian wanted Rey's ship to look like coffin.

The Last Jedi General Discussion - Page 23 88911

The Last Jedi General Discussion - Page 23 77710

The moment when Padme is telling Ani that she loves him and they kiss is the moment when Kylo picks up his lightsaber and says "I know what I have to do"

Actually both Rey and Padme get their mark on arm at the same time. (1:46 - 1:48)

Padme: All mentors have a way of seeing more of our faults than we would like. It's the only way we grow.
special_cases
special_cases
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Sat 8 Dec - 4:01

@Riri wrote:Cinema Wins!!!

Great vid! Says some amazing stuff about Rey/Kylo dynamic and calls the hut scene the most compelling part of the film and mentions “romantic” too.

He sorta makes a jokey comment in the Poe-Rey scene about Finn+Rey being revealed as siblings next movie so theres love interest for everyone, i jus dislike it when that scene is alluded to romance!
@Riri

I like how he can tell Kylo actually cares for Rey. He also guessed Luke's development based on TFA.

But I didn't like how he says that it's clear LF and JJ didn't have a plan, and it's possible Rian just didn't go along with those plans. This is far and away the most common belief about TLJ, with both. Even good analysis of TLJ doesn't usually acknowledge TFA except to comment how it deviated from what came before. I'd be genuinely upset if I were the directors, writers, or the studio. I left a couple of quotes and links that suggest otherwise, though there's already thousands of comments under the video.

It's going to take quite the marketing campaign and a whole lot of really direct quotes and explanations from multiple directors, actors, etc. to dispel this image. I get that it's way too soon for anyone to be talking about this, they're still filming after all! This particular situation makes me more anxious than what actually happens in IX itself.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sad Man on Sat 8 Dec - 10:02

To be fair it is direct effect of Rian and Co. repeating constantly that there wasn't a Grand Plan and he could do whatever he wanted to do.

Sad Man
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Sun 9 Dec - 3:25

@Sad Man Yeah, it was a really weird hybrid of "They let me do whatever I wanted and I didn't have to meet any predetermined story beats" and also "I worked with JJ and gave the kind of movie they wanted and also they set up certain character arcs and relationships in TFA that I followed through on." Real mixed messaging. Rian clearly had a lot of creative freedom, and I think he is only able to say what LF allows him to say, but the whole approach has been rather puzzling. It will be interesting to see how they handle this come next year.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase on Sun 16 Dec - 17:31

This is worth reading: https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-last-jedis-most-emotional-scene-was-a-lot-simpler-i-1831119727

“He calls Rey nothing because he authentically believes the galaxy has rejected both of them, and he wants to let her know that he cares about her, that he finds meaning in their connection when no one else does. It’s still a revealing, hurtful line, but a tragic one. Ben’s fatal flaw is how he sees himself and his place in the world, and he fails here by imposing that perspective onto the one person trying to help him.”
EchoBase
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl on Mon 17 Dec - 1:46

Reylos getting some credit for correctly predicting parts of TLJ. Unfortunately has a paragraph at the end why some fans think it's problematic, but otherwise it's nice to get recognized. This little wave of 1st anniversary analysis and love has been nice.

https://www.cbr.com/reylo-is-key-to-star-wars-success/
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by loversinthestorm on Mon 17 Dec - 14:19

I posted a thread here about the popularity of reylo comparing it to some other famous ships like drarry and dramione. It’s nice to see people are realizing that now.

http://www.reyloskyforum.net/t830-the-popularity-of-reylo

I honestly think that reylo is more popular than anything ST related now.

loversinthestorm
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by guardienne on Tue 8 Jan - 22:30

this is a piece of meta fandom discussion but it fits here (maybe)

i love the empathy angle, and i totally agree that it's awful to harass people for holding an opinion, i just also happen to know myself and how i'Ve reacted and it wasn't something i personally found easy not to do. 

it's an odd thing being a SW fan, being emotionally invested and then finding this investment suddenly betrayed (that's the word that works for me), it feels unfair. i guess also, because SW is a purely cinematic story, and so i can't really bundle myself off to the source material or whatever, i can watch this or not, but if i wanna be a fan, i'll have to contend myself with the way disney tells that story (fanfic! there is fanfic!). 

so, i get the whole, if you don't like it, don't watch, but there's also nothing else i *can* watch, if i want to know what happens. and basically, for me, wanting to know what happens, well, that's the essence of story and audience interaction. 

anyway, enjoy the video, as a soundtrack he uses piano versions of some key themes and it's really fun to listen to. if anyone knows where they're from, let me know pls.
guardienne
guardienne
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The Last Jedi General Discussion - Page 23 Empty Starwars.com story gallery released for TLJ!

Post by DeeBee on Sat 12 Jan - 6:54

Hi Everyone, I've found a treat!!
It has been a bit of a star wars drought of late! I'm happy to find a new goodie that seems to have slipped under the radar a little.. released with no fanfare  - finally the starwars.com story gallery for TLJ has been uploaded. [last time I checked a week or two ago only the picture gallery was available]
see here: https://www.starwars.com/films/star-wars-the-last-jedi-story-gallery
The Story gallery, if you are not aware of it, goes through the whole movie and summarises it's main points.. sometimes the wording or choice of image or plot point is pretty interesting.. much to analyse here for star wars fans who are interested.
A couple of random thoughts (I'll try and restrain myself I promise!):
- Interesting omission here: the story skips from Rey and Kylo continuing to struggle (over the light saber), to Rey and Chewie arriving at Crait. Zero mention of them being unconscious, Rey leaving Kylo alive, or Kylo claiming the title of Supreme Leader. Weird.

- This is the first time I've seen coverage of Yoda being in TLJ.. [still no coverage of this in the database]

- I think they've been pretty conservative with the Rey and Kylo/Ben relationship at times in this story gallery, but a few slides really caught my eye that I'll share:
The Last Jedi General Discussion - Page 23 15_fir10
You read that right.. 'across the stars' !!!!! - yep.. I think the message that this is a love story is a little obscured, but it is there for those who want to see it.  H-beating The databank entry for Rey and for Kylo both describe that they can touch each other 'across the light-years' - they are getting bolder in how they express this maybe..

The Last Jedi General Discussion - Page 23 2710
Love this!!! both visibly moved - sweet!
sunny
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman on Tue 29 Jan - 4:57

I was watching TFA  on the television tonight, Leia talks about having hope that Ben can still be saved, TLJ...she lets go that her son will come back from the darkside, Luke says that 'No one is really gone.' Luke/Leia left behind the dice, which Han gave Q'ira to give her hope that they will meet again. Maz's comment to Rey about someone who can still come back. I feel these are the hints that Kylo will be redeemed at the end of this trilogy. That will be the big shocker for the general audience who thinks....yeah, this guy is a lost cause.

Birdwoman
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by ladyMxx on Fri 1 Feb - 23:04

I've had this thought on my mind for awhile and wanted to share it with you guys.

I notice a lot of people joke about Luke breaking up a sex scene with Rey and Ben. It's not exactly a lie, but I was thinking about this and I wonder if Luke's reaction was because seeing a dark side user reaching for the hand of a young Force sensitive person reminded him of when Vader reached for his hand in ESB. Seeing Rey touch Ben's hand and Luke's already fear of her power and what he saw in Ben's head as a young man might have triggered a panicked reaction that his worse fears would come to pass if they joined together and he seduced her to his side. This also makes me wonder if young Luke had even a tiny bit of yearning to take Vader's hand because he was his father, and he denied it to the point of suicide because of the danger of Vader's words tempting him.
ladyMxx
ladyMxx
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by RealAnise on Tue 12 Feb - 22:32

I think that's the best explanation of why Luke freaked out, yes.

So I've been... okay, not even a lurker... for a while, because I've been so insanely busy, but I'm starting to dip my toe into the Reylo waters again.Hopefully, I can kind of even keep it up!! Razz Here's what I was wondering about. Is this the right place for general detail-oriented questions? I'm trying to get the best possible feel for where everyone might be about a month after the end of TLJ, and there are a lot of ship/location/people/etc details that I don't think I have a good grasp of. (See? I'm even ending sentences with prepositions.) I don't know why it's turning out to be so hard to find the exact info, but it is NOT easy... and I need to have the setting worked out for the new fic. Would this be the place to ask?
RealAnise
RealAnise
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Rowan on Tue 12 Feb - 22:46

@RealAnise wrote:I think that's the best explanation of why Luke freaked out, yes.

So I've been... okay, not even a lurker... for a while, because I've been so insanely busy, but I'm starting to dip my toe into the Reylo waters again.Hopefully, I can kind of even keep it up!! Razz Here's what I was wondering about. Is this the right place for general detail-oriented questions? I'm trying to get the best possible feel for where everyone might be about a month after the end of TLJ, and there are a lot of ship/location/people/etc details that I don't think I have a good grasp of. (See? I'm even ending sentences with prepositions.) I don't know why it's turning out to be so hard to find the exact info, but it is NOT easy... and I need to have the setting worked out for the new fic. Would this be the place to ask?
@RealAnise

Hey girl, hey!
(I love that D/G shippers are also Reylos. It's only natural. ^^)

You can discuss the ST in general in this thread; each character has their own thread as well if you want to go into more specifics. If you want more fic oriented discussion there is a thread for writers here. Hope that helps!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealAnise on Fri 15 Feb - 2:40

Thanks Rowan! Smile
RealAnise
RealAnise
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 26 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum